PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Welcome all!

This is the main thread for the unofficial RPS blood bowl league 'The Divisions of Death'. All are welcome who enjoy the fine wine of violence and the meat of...violence. We are a group of like-minded RPS-ites who enjoy playing Cyanide's PC game 'Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition' in a league format together.

We are always looking for new recruits, so please post in here and say hi if you would like to join us, we don't bite (often). We run 30 day 'seasons' with 3 games each, 10 day windows to play each game, so each 30 days we can take on new players. Once you've posted in here, add your details to our organising sheet,

HERE (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=t4JCm2oCug-E2W2lQECEkyw&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24)

And in the 'season info' tab, at the bottom of the list of players, add your coach name (from the forum), ideally your steam ID, definitely your blood bowl online ID and your timezone along with when you are usually available.The 'race balance' tab shows the currently available race slots. The rules we use to manage the league are also in the sheet above under the 'rules and stuff' tab so have a look there if you want to know more about league structure and general management of the divisions. If it all looks too scary, just ask in here and one of our many wizened sages will be able to help.

I also strongly recommend you 'track' the thread if you're keen on joining, by subscribing for an email update (instant, daily, or weekly) so if you join up but we don't start the next season for 3 weeks, you'll get a nudge when we're about to start (and enjoy the many many pages of fine, high quality match reports and blood bowl theorizing, right chaps?).

As for organising matches, do that:
HERE (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4)
Apply to join the group, then organise your match in the correct group for your division.

That's it for now, just post in here to join in. See you on the field! (with my boot on your head).

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Ok chaps, now that I've recreated 'post 1' in the new forums, lets try to use this from now on for the division management. I'll be keeping a close eye on the old thread but I'm guessing most folks will be posting in here now. Definitely use the new match organising thread in here. Any issues/thoughts/ideas, let me know. For now, I'm just trying to keep things the same :-).

Screwie
03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks GC :)

You might want to re-post your last update from the old forum too? Some folks might not have seen it and might not head back to the old haunt.

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Good idea screwie ;-)

Last post as follows:

Ok chaps, the new season is set to start tonight (sorry if I hadn't made that clear with my terrifying proclamations);-).

We are still missing 9 players. As it stands, I will be sending out reminders via PM to the veteran players to get in tonight if possible.

As for the new guys who have not yet applied, if we don't see a post or an application by tonight (by about 10pm) then you will not have made the deadline for this season. We will then have to reorganise the divisions to bump everybody up. This could be a bit disruptive (understatement!). If you are in the lower divisions, please be prepared to move! If you can't move easily I'll be trying to make it as painless as possible and organise folks so we are disrupted as little as possible. If you aren't in a position to move easily (ie away for the weekend), don't worry, we'll keep you where you are and someone else will go up in your place.

Everyone who has applied for a division so far will get to play. As for the reserves, keep a close eye in here, as *something* is likely to happen with all three of you in the next day or so - we'll try to get you in if at all possible (welcome smaug!).

Rakysh
03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Hello sah. When does the next season start? Is it too late to throw my hat into the ring for June? Are there team restrictions? This sentence is just to balance out the question mark/full stop ratio.

Edit: I appear to have been somewhat ninja'd. Luckily I have thought of more questions. Primarily, which league should I sign up for on the googledoc?

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Rakysh - we are starting season 10 tonight, so I guess you're just in time! You'll be added to the 'reserves' for now (ie not in a division for this season yet), but it looks like the reserves will be called in to fill in the no-shows at the moment, so you could be called upon to apply in-game fairly soon. Take a look at the 'race balance' tab on the sheet to see what races are still free and pick one that you would like to join us with. Add your race selection to your entry on the sheet and then keep an eye on the thread in here to find out whats going on. Its likely to get busy later tonight!

Rakysh
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Wonderful, thanks. I put my division down as Z for Zeserves? And I'll take Norse, I think, because double crowdsurfs are the pinnacle of human endeavour. Are teams persistent from season to season?

Screwie
03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
The Zeserves are inactive players. You want to be a N*, where * is the next untaken number (denoting the order of new players signing up).

Rakysh
03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks, I think I'm on there correctly now.

Screwie
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah looks good. :)

darkweeble
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
The new forum is fancy and all, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get an RSS feed of the threads. I can't even remember how I did in the old forum. Anyone have any idea how I would have done it?

President Weasel
03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
To paraphrase Groovychainsaw, but with added CAPS: GET YOUR APPLICATIONS IN TO THE CORRECT IN-GAME LEAGUE BY TONIGHT, or risk getting bumped to the lowest league or missing out on this season altogether and being replaced by one of the three unassigned players (who are waiting calmly and patiently, and in no way circling like sharks who smell blood in the water)

Indefatigible Snoozer
03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
*cue theme from jaws*

Drake Sigar
03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Do I still have time to sign up? I've never done this before!

President Weasel
03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
the season has just about started, so the chances of you getting in to this one are low but not completely out of the question.
Groovy linked the spreadsheet above, check the race balance tab to see what teams are available, add your contact details, and (I *think*), add yourself to the list as N4, after Rakysh

Drake Sigar
03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Hmm, I've filled out all the details except for ‘division.’

Edit: Thanks for the update.

boots468
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Due to the confusion of changing forums, I've changed my name from Boots to Boots468. I've updated the spreadsheet accordingly.

ntw
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Advance warning - *if* we manage to get an extra Div (8) started with the last minute influx of new players the formulae may not work properly on the sheet until I've had a chance to check them!
I'm actually going to be away (taking baby to hospital :( ) from Sunday until late next week *but* I'll try and check back as and when I can...

duff
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Damn I hope eveything is okay ntw, I'm sure we will be able to cope without a spreadsheet for a week or so.

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Unless some of the new guys get in their applications very quickly, it looks like we're going to be missing 7-8 people anyways (good news for most/all of our reserves I think!), so division 8 is highly unlikely to be needed (and I might be able to fudge it whilst you're away anyways, so do not worry!). Hope everything goes well at the hospital fella.

For everyone else, consider this the 15 minutes warning... I'm going to start reorganising the divisions to fill in the gaps shortly. I'm sorry if you missed out, we'll be happy to have you join us in 30 days time, but we do need players who can check the thread fairly regularly... :-)

Everyone who is paying attention, I'll post in here in a short while with the changes to the divisions. I'll try to make it as painless as possible so we don't have to make too many moves.

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Ok, time's up. The deadline has fallen. After PM'ing the remaining vets last night, Machinations is in now, Meatloaf said he was going to apply but I don't have an application in there yet. You're on probation until tomorrow morning ;-). Khryses and TCM I have not heard from via any medium, so I can only assume they've gone AWOL. Sorry guys, we'll hold you on the sheet should you wish to rejoin the following season, but I'm reorganising the divisions to fill your spaces now.

Modulus, Cacamas, SimianJim, SketchSeven and Sp4rkR4t, you've failed to make it in this season, if you want to join us in the future, you'll have to get your applications in in time or speak to us. I can only assume you've forgotten you registered your interest. You're still more than welcome to reapply for the following season.

So, I'm working on the changes now. Like I said, I'll try not to make it too disruptive. I'll add another post in 10-20 minutes with the new positions and who's moving where. Like I said, I'll be looking to minimise disruption (and stop the 3 new norse teams ending up in the same division!) where I can. Keep an eye out in here :-).

groovychainsaw
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok, people who need to move (for the better!) and reserves who will be joining us this season:

Desvergeh - From D to 3
Indefatigable snoozer - You're in from the reserves into D
Unitled - From E (on your own, bless) to D
Mombiushibashi - From the reserves to 5
Smaug81 - from reserves to 7

And that (I think!) is all that will be needed to get us started. It does mean that some of the reserves will in higher than some of the people who applied several weeks ago, but them's the breaks, it was this or about 20-30 re-applications, something which I'm not too keen on. I'd rather get us playing again if at all possible!

Rakysh and Drake Sigar, looks like you were a smidge too late for this season (although Rakysh, you may be called upon if meatloaf is a no-show yet). If you keep your details on the sheet and an eye in here, you'll be top of the queue for next season.

Division 'E' will appear empty on the sheet for now, basically treat F and G as 1 higher for this season. It also stops too many re-applications (which could get us into further issues)

If anything else looks off, let me know and I'll be happy to discuss it with you (with an AXE!). Once these final applications are in, we'll officially start the season, hopefully the official start will be tomorrow night. Good luck!

Indefatigible Snoozer
03-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Division D - 3 Elves and a Dwarf. Sounds like the basis for a smash hit summer Romantic Comedy.

smaug81
04-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I've got my team set up and ready to go, just not seeing Division 7 in the listings yet. Guessing y'all just haven't gotten around to setting it up (that, or I'm missing something). I'll keep checking and make sure to get myself applied pronto when it's ready.

Gorm
04-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Wait so am i still in division 7? I'm kind of confused and at work so i cant get on the spreadsheet.
(its blocked in China for some reason...)

Rakysh
04-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Ok, cool. When will I find out if I'm in? And also, I might be away for more than ten days in July and definitely will be in August, so does that prevent me from playing?

Zoraster
04-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Gorm: yes you are still listed in 7.

Rakysh: in the next day or two if we have a last minute drop out, or it'll be at the start of next season in 30 days time. However if you are away when the season starts you'll miss out again :) In terms of being away during the season it will just result in an admin result if you can't play a game. Ten days is the length of each round though, so there is quite a chance you'll be able to play around your break.

Rakysh
04-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Ok, cool. I'm off for five weeks straight, and I think it's from late July, so I should be good for next season and then have to take a break.

Screwie
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Division F is still listed as "Pre-Season" in the Play tab with no match listings underneath ...is that normal, or does some button need to be pushed before we can arrange our matches?

groovychainsaw
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Everything is normal. None of the divisions have been kicked off yet, so no fixtures will be visible. I'm going to log on this evening and start things going, assuming all our people we need to move have done so successfully.

@smaug81 - div 7 is up and visible as I've checked applications recently. Have another look, as cyanide's UI is pretty clunky ;)

Curvespace
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Erm, is there any way to get RSS subscriptions to threads on this new forum? Am I being stupid? (feel free to answer honestly)

HughTower
04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Erm, is there any way to get RSS subscriptions to threads on this new forum? Am I being stupid? (feel free to answer honestly)

No.

All the FAQ says is that the forum adminstrators need to permit syndication for RSS feeds to work.

A few of us have left a 'gimme' note in the feedback thread.

Curvespace
04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
No.

All the FAQ says is that the forum adminstrators need to permit syndication for RSS feeds to work.

A few of us have left a 'gimme' note in the feedback thread.

Mega Erg.

Thanks for the info.

Vexing Vision
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Everything is normal. None of the divisions have been kicked off yet, so no fixtures will be visible. I'm going to log on this evening and start things going, assuming all our people we need to move have done so successfully.

Ah, been wondering that. My Amazons are quite eager to get beaten bloody by KayD's rats.

Tonight then, yes? Yes yes.

Flanks
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi All

New member Flanks here, found you guys through Steam Link.

Am happy to join in as a backup and play whatever race is needed. I assume we all start with fresh teams anyway?

Semi confused as there is a lot of foruming here which I haven't had a chance to read yet, just wanted to get my name down asap! If someone could point me what/where to do to help with any admin required then I will get it done asap!

duff
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Flanks, unfortunately a new season is just about to start, with the next one due to start in approximately 30 days time.

To get a spot for next season you need to add your name to the list here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en#gid=24

Please note you will need to show up just before next season starts and post here plus apply to the league otherwise it may be assumed you have lost interest and your spot will go to someone else.

groovychainsaw
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Flanks, you've just missed out on this season, but if you add your details to the saheet oyu'll be near the top of the queue for next seaosn, which should be starting in about 30 days. Check out post 1 of this thread for more details :-).

Everyone else, I'm going in to start up most of the divisions RIGHT NOW! I'll be posting back in here if we're still missing a couple of people. With an angry face on, naturally. Angry. You mark my words :-O

/Edit - Ahhh duff my good man, totally throwing-starred me in the back of the head...

Flanks
04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks both duff and groovy. I believe I have added my details to the sheet correctly, could you double check it for me?

groovychainsaw
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
No worries flanks, entry looks fine. And hang around for a bit - we are currently missing Desvergeh from 3 (understandable, as he probably thought his place in div 4 was stable!), Meatloaf has still failed to apply (2 days after telling me he was just about to!), Mobiushibashi is not in 5 yet and smaug lost division 7 and isnt there yet. Soooo...

I'm starting all the other divisions now, and I'm chasing the missing guys up as best I can . If i don't get very far tonight, keep an eye out reserves, as we may well be asking for people to fill places and it'll be first come,first served to get this season going.

All started, apart from 3, 5, and 7 for the aforementioned absences. Hopefully we'll get those going tomorrow, either with the original people applying (come on guys!) or with some reserves joining in...

duff
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I'll be posting back in here if we're still missing a couple of people. With an angry face on, naturally. Angry. You mark my words :-O

Its time to start dishing out Zidane headbutts?

EDIT: Oh Groovy, I think they were looking for you to take place in the Open after a drop out, might want to check the thread out.

Flanks
04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Well feel free to grab me on steam if you need a quick fill in ;)

smaug81
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok, my application for Div 7 is in. My apologies for the delay. Time zone wonkiness + other errands eating up my morning prevented me from having an opportunity to check the online listings again until just now. I shall endeavor to be more timely in the future!

Screwie
04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Ah, been wondering that. My Amazons are quite eager to get beaten bloody by KayD's rats.

Tonight then, yes? Yes yes.

On this note, Division F's fixtures are jumbled up now. Do we just proceed with what's lined up in-game?

If so, I'll be facing Vexing Vision's amazons first...

ntw
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Go with whatever is on the spreadsheet - if it incorrect then please post here (like you did!) and we'll fix it ;)

/edit - and Div F fixed.

Screwie
04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks very much!

ntw
04-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Div 7 Started, I think. Duke was listed as being in and Deesno was listed as missing out. But Deesno was in the Div and Duke not...

I've started it with Deesno and fixed the fixtures, GC can shout at me later if it is wrong.

/edit - thx all for the kind words :)

HughTower
04-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say 'grats to the combined admin awesomeness that's at force here.

GRATZZZZZ!

And, as Nick Faldo most memorably said, "Thanks. From the heart of my bottom. Thanks."

groovychainsaw
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I will now interrupt all the organising (we're still missing Des from div 3, Meatloaf and mobiushibashi from 5!!) to put in the first match report of the new season....

Last night, me and Phil played the opening game of season 10 of the Divisions of Death, division 4. A nice normal fine day as my brand new humans faced off against his lightly levelled lizards (couple with block, ag4 skink, another with side step). The TV difference bought me a wandering apothecary (to make up for the fact i was starting without one!) and a bloodweiser babe (to get up any guys who've gone toe to toe with a saurus). Phil has 6 saurii, one krox, and 4 skinks. I'm facing that with an ogre, 4 blitzers, one thrower, one catcher and 4 linemen. I have 3 rerolls to Phil's 2. Phil wins the toss and opts to receive. I put blitzers and my ogre on the line to get knocked down, then kick to him. Phil goes to work, knocking down a lineman to create a hole and running a skink through, bashing my line (2 turn stuns on both my blitzers, great!), picking the ball up and getting it onto the line. My turn, I get bashy right back at him, which is where it goes wrong.... for Phil. First hit sees a saurus go off, badly hurt, then another get KO'd. My MA7 blitzer runs around behind his saurus and hits the skink, knocking the ball free.

Following turn, Phil (still in shock from his Saurii going down!) bashes back and picks up the ball. Over a couple of turns, I keep bashing to get the ball bak, but Phil's moving Saurii over to make life hard. I KO at least one skink during this exchange. Eventually, he gets away with his skink to the other side of the field. I bash him again but he eventually gets the ball, runs into my half and dodges away on turn 6 for the touchdown. I have 2 turns to return the favour.

Phil's KO'd saurus stays down, as does my catcher. My other Ko'd player returns. Phil kicks to me and I get an extra reroll. It's fairly deep to my right, where I'd set up strong. I bash his wall a bit, protect the ball, then blitz into his half to attack his skinks. I badly hurt one, then finish with my blitzer into his half. I follow up with a lineman there as a scoring threat. Phil proceeds to bash back, approaching my semi-cage with a lizard after blitzing downfield. Most of his other guys are tied up on the line. It my turn 7, so need to get upfield. I push one saurus back with a blitz onto the sideline, one dice knockdown another lizard with another blitzer. My thrower runs upfield, makes a perfect pass, the blitzer catches it and runs to within one square of the touchline (didn't want to use the goforit, or give phil another chance to get his KOs back). My blitzer is entirely out of range of his team, as he'd moved his skinks into my half to try to steal another TD, presumably. Phil's turn, he goes to bash. He hits my thrower (who annoyed him!) and gets the kill. Luckily my wandering apothecary is on good form and remediates that to badly hurt, meaning he's back on next half. He then gets a both down result, ending the turn. I run in on turn 8 to level the scores. All my KO's get back up, apart from my badly hurt blitzer, Phil's still down one KO'd skink, one badly hurt skink and one badly hurt saurus. His KO'd saurus returns.

Phil kicks back to me, and the ball goes deep. I bash his line, with the intention of getting through to blitz his 2 remaining skinks, I need this half to take a while to score so his skinks can't run one back in against me. I blitz into his AG4 skink with a lineman, get a both down and choose to take it, KOing the skink. Only one left for Phil now :-). Phil pushes at least one saurus down the flank towards the ball which is on my touchline, surrounded by a lineman and my catcher. He then bashes up my line, but to no great gain. I stand up my linemen up there again and continue to tie up his saurii. His skink has run out onto the right flank, so I get a blitzer free and perform his task, blitzing into his skink and KOing him as well. No skinks on the field should make this task easier...

My thrower finally picks up the ball, my blitzer after his blitz steps in to tie up the saurus on that side. Another is approaching too now. There's no way of running clear. The saurii knock down their marking blitzer and approach the 'cage' (its a pretty sorry cage :-)). I need a way out of the corner. The following turn, I blitz into the marking saurus, push him onto the line, where my catcher (!) pushes the saurus off the pitch. Leading to the second badly hurt saurus of the day.I mark up the other threats to stop them approaching, then continue bashing the linelizards, where we've been at a stalemate all half.

The Kroxigor has broken free and is approaching now, assisting the other saurus to try and get free, but only gets a push in the right direction. Phil is running out of players, with only the Krox and 4 saurii left on the field. I decide to go for it with a saurus breathing down my neck. I hand off to the catcher, who then runs across the pitch, makes his 8, then makes both goforits (one at a time, with a reroll - carefully!) to get 10 squares away and almost safe. My linemen gang up on the one saurus on that side to knock him down and get him marked up. My ogre blitzes into the middle of my half to knock down a saurus and make life hard for phil to get across.

From this point its a foregone conclusion. I'v tied up the saurii and have numbers on the field. After 2 turns of his Krox finally boneheading (after a very reliable match so far!), along with his other saurii being entirely marked and unable to get away, my catcher is standing on his touchline, waiting out for turn 16 (As I explain to Phil, there could be a riot on kickoff, causing him to get 2 turns. And with a skink, he can still score!). I score turn 16. And what do you know, we get a riot. The clock goes back to 15. Phil has 2 turns to score. He had to set up with his one returned skink back to pick up the ball, so his skink can't score in 2 turns, so he needs a saurus to get in and score. He runs downfield with a saurus whilst all my guys are pretty much standing on my line. He then passes downfield with the skink, which scatters and misses the saurus. I move my guys back upfield, get 2 on the ball and the saurus, manoeuvre others in close and blitz the saurus down. It's all over. I try a pass/catch for points (fails) and Phil spends his last turn making a couple of hits and then a cynical foul on one of my linemen, which gets his returned skink sent off to end the game.

So a 2-1 grind victory against lizards without using any cages. An interesting match. Phil was rightfully annoyed by his early loss of 2 saurii, from which he never really recovered. With only 5 big guys on the field, i was able to tie them up more effectively and get into his skinks, delaying his first touchdown (probably more than i should have done, to be honest), then smashing into the skinks for the rest of the game to try to disable his ball handling. Apart from those armour rolls, the dice were reasonably well distributed. Both of us had a few both down/skull results. I had to make a fair number of one dice blocks throughout, but most of the key ones were at least with a blitzer to gain some reliability. They still probably went better than I usually expect them to. I also didn't suffer many injuries myself, with only 2 all match (one which the apothecary fixed). I did receive a couple of KOs, but all the other armour breaks led to 2 turn stuns, of which I had about 7/8 during the game. So maybe I was a bit lucky there. I was certainly getting stuck in :-).

Nonetheless, a good opening match for my humans, gaining one level on my catcher (who gained a defensive 'wrestle'), and enough cash to buy myself a permanent apothecary (rather than relying on a wandering one to fix up my players!). Onto the next match against Elesium's Chaos Ravagers...

Khryses
05-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Just waving the 'I exist' flag - have already chatted with groovy and if a spot opens that's fine, otherwise I'll join up next season with my new (slightly less crippled) team ;)

desvergeh
05-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey guys,

Guessing I got confused. Didn't realise the league was restarting so soon. So had not been checking due to friends visiting.

Will sort the game asap, and if will not be quick enough, am happy for you to award the win to Jaytee. Also a little confused as I thought I was staying in division D.

Apologies again,

Des.

Schaulustiger
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Division F saw its opening match with my orcs, the Skullsmashin' Greens, against Screwie's Bloody Gobbos. Right from the kick-off, hilarity ensued as Screwie's chainsaw dude and a ball-and-chains fanatic mowed through my defensive lines. On turn 4, I had 3 of my orcs injured and three more K.o.'ed, so the goblins had no problem scoring the 1-0. I didn't get any of my downed orcs back, so I had problems moving the ball forwards after receiving the subsequent kick-off. Screwie took advantage of that and had a quick 2-0 touchdown before the end of the first half.

After his secret weapons got banned during half-time, it became a bit easier for me to get some proper game going, but I have to admit that Screwie's goblins simply outplayed me. They stalled me quite well, rerolls were unlucky for both of us, and so the match ended in a 2-0 victory for the Bloody Gobbos and it was a well-deserved one.

Congratz to Screwie for a great first match and I'm looking forward to the next round.

Screwie
05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the game Schaulustiger!

The second half was much more evenly paced, as I'd failed to cause any more injuries to the Greens while they were systematically eliminating the Gobbos' goblins.

My looney got the MVP and he definitely earned it, taking out 2 blitzers and 2 black orcs (1 KO and 1 casualty of each!). The fanatic meanwhile caused a lot of chaos, but not even a solitary KO.

And there was that moment in the second half where our trolls stood all alone on the pitch, gazing into each other's eyes, with yellow question marks above their heads... was it love?

Vexing Vision
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
The Seaside Sirens met the "Mice to see u"-rats of KayD on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Moral was high among both teams, and the fans cheered lustily several time, providing ample rerolls to both teams that proved to be quite necessary.

The Amazons won the toss and elected to practice their kicking. Much needed, it seemed, as the kick went short and into their own half by a single tile.

The Mice began an offense on the right side, but after much scuffling, the Sirens managed to break the ball free and into the hands of their Thrower, who securely passed it on to Lyxana the Catcher. A counter-touchdown in turn 5 for the Sirens led to much jubilation and high moral. So much that the Sirens stole the Mice's offence with a well-timed Blitz!

A blitzer positoned herself under the ball, ready to intercept the Sirens' own kick - but failed to catch the ball.

Some clever scuffling later saw a desperate Gutter Runner make a few dodges, an inspired grab and an even more inspired pass, followed by an impressive catch (and an impressive failed interception), another dodge... and an unlikey Touchdown for the Mice in Turn 7.

With two moves left, the Amazons set up a beautiful play. A simple shove, a simple dodge and a hand-off to the Catcher would have sufficed for a 2-1 in Turn 8... but the only failed dodge of the entire game (on the Sirens' side) ruined the beautiful execution quite drastically.

After an energetic first half, the second half continued to see a lot of action.

While the ball was still in the air from the Mice's kick, the rats rearranged their defensive lines quite efficiently.

By now, the Amazons had numerical superiourity and were intent to use it. Slowly moving two cages forward (one around the catcher, another around their thrower), the Sirens made the single most important mistake in the entire match by attempting a difficult pass to clear the ball safe. Which failed, obviously, and in the worst way possible - landing in front of a gutter runner.

A quick grab and a hand-off saw the ball deep within the Siren's home turn, but a sprinting Blitzer stopped the lone Runner. But where there's one rat, there's many rats, as the saying goes, and a second Runner showed up from the sewers and scored the Mice's second touchdown in Turn 12.

An angry scuffle ensured on the left flank, producing the rat's only casualty. Unless counting a certain Stormvermin which remained asleep for the entire duration of the match.

Some hearty shoving, blitzing and blocking later saw the ball again in Lyxana's capable hands, and scoring the equalizing 2-2 in the Siren's turn 16, followed by a brief revenge scuffle from the rats, in which they managed to slightly bruise a linewoman.

2 - 2 in a highly energetic match with a lot of movements, a lot of scuffles and no serious injuries at all - a wonder, considering our AVs!

Cheers for the match, KayD, and go and kill those orcs!

Jolima
05-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey guys,

Guessing I got confused. Didn't realise the league was restarting so soon. So had not been checking due to friends visiting.

Will sort the game asap, and if will not be quick enough, am happy for you to award the win to Jaytee. Also a little confused as I thought I was staying in division D.

Apologies again,

Des.

Still confused I'm afraid. But in a good way. :-)

What you needed to do quickly was just reapply to division 3. You were moved from D because some others didn't show up in time, leaving gaps in the divisions. I've started the division now that you have. There's still 10 days left for actually playing the game.

I think division 5 is the only one not started properly, that one is still missing Meatloaf and mombiushibachi.

groovychainsaw
05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah, those guys have until tonight to get their applications in before a rebooting Khryses and Rakysh sneak in to complete division 5...

KayD
05-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Great game VV! Thanks very much for the entertaining write up also :) I think you probably deserved to win but Skaven are good when you are lucky I suppose.

Thanks to all the admins for their efforts as well, much appreciated

Rakysh
06-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Given the lack of in game entry from Meatloaf and mombiushibachi, do me and Khryses move into div 5?

Vexing Vision
06-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Great game VV! Thanks very much for the entertaining write up also :) I think you probably deserved to win but Skaven are good when you are lucky I suppose.

You got very bad luck in the initial first turns (and your hilariously lazy Stormvermin), and I made a horrible, stupid and potentially game-losing mistake with that long pass - if anything, I'm glad I managed to equalize. :)

groovychainsaw
06-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I've had a message from Meatloaf so he should be in tonight. I'll be accepting his application then. As Khryses is an existing player, he'll have first dibs on the remaining free slot, but if you apply too Rakysh, then whoever has their application in tonight when I go in to division 5 will get the slot. Division 5 will be starting tonight, to complete all the divisions :-).

desvergeh
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Still confused I'm afraid. But in a good way. :-)

What you needed to do quickly was just reapply to division 3. You were moved from D because some others didn't show up in time, leaving gaps in the divisions. I've started the division now that you have. There's still 10 days left for actually playing the game.

I think division 5 is the only one not started properly, that one is still missing Meatloaf and mombiushibachi.

Yeah I re-applied straight after posting previously. Got my first week match scheduled tonight.

Yay! Back to getting my face kicked in by the Khemri.

Alistair Hutton
06-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Last night, me and Phil played the opening game of season 10 of the Divisions of Death, division 4. A nice normal fine day as my brand new humans faced off against his lightly levelled lizards

That sounded like the perfect Human victory over the scalies. Bravo.

groovychainsaw
06-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't know about perfect, but certainly much more fun than playing as my Norsemen :-D (apologies to those of you who are starting as norse, I'm sure you'll do much better with them than I did!).

mombiushibachi
06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Heyhey, I've joined Div5 now, sorry I'm late and apologies to any reserves who were hoping to pinch my slot :P

Khryses
06-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I've applied to Div 5 - glad I double-checked this tonight ;)

Duke
06-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Just want to check, I was in div 7 and now i'm not - did i miss out on doing something important?

Vexing Vision
06-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Curiousity, when are our matches accepted? I'd very much like to see what my brave little catcher earned herself.

groovychainsaw
06-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Right, division 5 has started! We're all go now. Unfortunately for Khryses and Rakysh, the 2 original players turned up finally, so you've missed out on this season. We'll surely get you in next season, sorry to get your hopes up!

@Duke, you were in division 7 on the sheet, but you needed to apply in game last week. When you didn't get your application in, it was assumed you'd lost interest/forgotten since you added your name to sheet. We can't get started until the application is in so it fell to the reserves to take your place. Sorry if that wasn't clear. We're happy to hold a place for you for next season.

@Vexing Vision - You get your points when one of our admins approves the result... I just looked and osmeone's already done it, so you should be good to find out what your winnings are

NB: For the new guys - There is a great 'bug' that Cyanide have in the private leagues, whereby what you see on the winnings screen is not always what you receive. As far as we can tell, it rerolls your winnings again after that screen. So you may have more/less than you expect after one game. As far as I've seen it does average out over time, but it can be a bit frustrating to be told you've won 80k then get 30k. It can go the other way too though, which is a pleasant surprise. Just a warning!

Elesium
06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
What a scrappy game! It was always going to be with two no/low level Chaos teams. With a nice pass and catch to give Jarvis the lead it was all looking good with only 1 badly hurt beastman and with me having 1 KO it was all square. Then 1 death followed by a beastman getting free to equalise to end the first half Jarvis started to go down hell. After an uneventful blitz event. The game stagnated with just pounding on each other resulting in another dead beastman for Jarvis.

Overall 1-1 but as Chaos I think it is actually 2-0 (deaths) and claiming that as a win. Good game Jarvis! Now when did I put that Chainsaw!

JayTee
06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Division 3

The Dead Comic Society (Khemri) vs. Salem's Lot (Necro)

2 - 0

Ugh. Des is hands down the unluckiest player I've ever seen. As he explained it, it was like he was playing an undead, slow Skaven team.

Des wins the toss and elects to receive and gets a quick-snap on the kickoff, shuffles players around and begins moving in. With my first good hit of the match, a 2D block on a Wight and a stupid skeleton (Who levelled up from this) kills Des' Wight who promptly fails his regen roll and Des has now lost both Wights since starting the team. Then it really went to hell, with Des losing players to KOs left and right and only managing the odd stun here and there to compensate. Of course the Khemri amazing skill with the ball kicked in again and it took 3 turns to walk in what should have been an easy TD so on the halftime whistle it was 1-0 with 4 KOs and a death for Salem's Lot, and not a scratch to the Comics.

Second half started off with me getting the positioning bug leaving a TG randomly placed on the pitch, but not so out of place I couldn't use him to cage up. Cage rumbled forward and the bad luck for Des continued, dropping a few players to KOs and an unlucky Frenzy roll knocked his remaining WW (Worth pointing out here; one WW got KOed early on and sat out the entire game despite Babe assistance) to the floor leaving the Comics to run in the second TD.

Play resumed with the Comics getting yet another reroll and some insane luck (3 GFIs, a 2D block on a Block-WW) popped the ball free. A mad scramble around the ball, a last-minute injury on Des' remaining WW (Just badly hurt thankfully), and the Comics missed a 3rd TD by failing to pick the ball up.

I couldn't believe how many times Des lost armour rolls, while he did only suffer 2 causalities the fact one is a dead Wight and the sheer number of KOs flying around meant his players were frequently almost 2:1 outnumbered.

Utterly brutal, Des is owed some BIG karma.

Screwie
06-06-2011, 11:17 PM
@Vexing Vision - You get your points when one of our admins approves the result... I just looked and osmeone's already done it, so you should be good to find out what your winnings are

Sorry not true, Division F hasn't got either result validated yet.

KayD
07-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Sorry not true, Division F hasn't got either result validated yet.

I presume he's looking at Division 7? We're all F and finished our games.

Vexing Vision
07-06-2011, 06:31 AM
I presume he's looking at Division 7? We're all F and finished our games.

Didn't seem validated when I checked late last night, either.

Screwie
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Whoops, okay so we're obviously eager but let's not go on about it :) We are just one division among a dozen others, after all.

groovychainsaw
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Thinking about it, I may not have been in the 'league management' mode. So... yeah. Maybe I missed that. I put it down to tiredness :-). I'll try to take another look tonight when I'm paying better attention, if one of the other admins doesn't beat me to it :-)

President Weasel
07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Silent But Deadly (Dark Elves, Pres. Weasel) 2 - 1 Longus Barba (Dorfs, MrPier)

The story of the Dwarf-based performance enhancement scheme, and how Iron Quinns came good.

I'd been chatting to one of my other opponents about this match, and they mentioned that I might want to prune my team, bloated by two unskilled assassins I had recently bought. I said I'd just let the dwarfs prune my team for me. I had 200 more TV, which gave MrPier a wizard and a babe.

In the first half, things went pretty much as you'd expect. The Dark Elves scored pretty quickly and the dwarfs caged up and ground forward. I just managed to get a 2-dice against on the ball carrier in turn 7 but it came to nothing (I'd used the reroll on a GFI just to get that close). The half finished 1-1, but the main surprise was that there was still plenty of elves upright and fighting. There was one injured dwarf, one sent off elf lineman (no point giving him dirty player if you're not going to stamp on faces), and maybe a couple of KO'd elves.

In the second half Pier fielded his dreaded Death Roller and started work on the 2 part of "2-1 grind".

However his cage got a bit disrupted by the sheer number of downed elves on the pitch, and I found a corner with no guard on it (note to future opponents of MrPier - ha ha, I don't have to play him any more! I swear some of his players have guard twice). I'm pretty sure I needed a natural 6 to make the dodge in, but it succeeded, I got a one dice blitz on the ball carrier ( i think I rerolled from skull to pow?), the ball broke outside the cage, only in one tackle zone. I rode my luck a bit more, dodged a lino away from a dwarf with tackle and onto the ball, picking it up, then dodging away (again from a dwarf with tackle) and heading up the pitch away from the dwarfs. I was pretty sure I had the dwarfs tied up in the melee, making it hard for Pier to land a solid hit on the lino, and Pier had no safety meaning if I could get away then the touchdown was assured.

Pier's wizard (remember him? I hadn't!) nuked the lino. He dropped like a sack of electrocuted elf, although at least he was unhurt. Pier scooped the ball up.

Quinns then proceeded to do several dodges, blitz down the ball carrier, scoop the ball, and run. I thought I'd made him entirely safe but Pier managed to get the death roller right next to him.

Quinns had to make just one easy dodge to score a touchdown. Quinns has agi5. The deathroller had a list of horrible skills as long as my arm, but none of them was tackle. Quinns just had to roll 2 or more to score a touchdown, and with one turn left the game would be in the bag.

If you have been following the adventures of this team you will know that Iron Quinns always rolls a 1 in these situations, to the point where I started bearing a grudge against real life Quinns.

This time he didn't. Today, Quinns was a hero.

The motivational story:

I had two assassins on the pitch, Dark Trevor McSinister, with 2SPP, and a generically named one ("Blood Flayer" or "Stab Bringer" or similar). Blood Stabber, or whatever his name was, had been stabbing away all match to no effect. Then he took a hit and died. I contemplated apocing him but instead took a long, hard look at Trevor and typed "NO SPP's AND HE'S HAD SEVERAL GOES AT THAT AV8 TROLL SLAYER WITHOUT EVEN SCRATCHING HIM, I DON'T NEED HIM".
My team was pruned. My other assassin was inspired. Two turns later he stabbed the troll slayer and stunned him! I was so proud.

In the end I never even used the apoc.

mrpier
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Ah yes, overall under par for the hurting today, I broke armour plenty of times, in the end I think there was at least five or six? elves down in the KO box but only the one assassin in the injury box. I even had a chance to score in turn 12 with a handoff and a gfi which I choose not to pursue since PW still had 8 or 9 concious elves at that point and could probably still score in two or three turns, in hindsight of course I should have tried that one :-/ Worst part of the game came when I tried to map out a path for my deathroller to blitz his ballcarrier and misclicked making it a move action instead and it was my last good chance of stopping his second touchdown.

Overall I must say I'm happy with my dwarves today, loosing the ball was mostly poor planning on my part and they did break armour plenty, I just wish there were more injuries, better luck with that next time against Nullkigans amazons I say :-)

Duke
07-06-2011, 09:14 PM
@Duke, you were in division 7 on the sheet, but you needed to apply in game last week. When you didn't get your application in, it was assumed you'd lost interest/forgotten since you added your name to sheet. We can't get started until the application is in so it fell to the reserves to take your place. sorry if that wasn't clear. We're happy to hold a place for you for next season.

No problems i thought there may be some hiccups on the way to starting this seen as i have never played a multiplayer game of bloodbowl in my life. Hopefully this means i can get a few games practice in and sign up for next season.

President Weasel
07-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Have you signed up for the RPS Challenge League? That's an unstructured league where anyone can challenge anyone else rather than having a fixed schedule. Good place to get some games against human opponents, and we'll probably be able to give you some pointers on the difference between playing the AI (which is relatively limited) and playing humans (who are generally tricksy, cunning, and blackhearted).

Nullkigan
07-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Whilst President Weasel and Mr Pier were playing, I managed to grind Zora's Rats of Westminster to a 2-2 draw.

I'm now staring at http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_of_rats and wishing I could bring a sword to my next bloodbowl match.

potatoedoughnut
08-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Rylon and I just finished our game. Both our teams forgot to bring armour to today's match, but I was able to get the injury lead first and took the game 3-0.

Sorry about the bum luck Rylon. Nuffle will make it up to you next week :)

edit: Is there a DoD bbmanager league?

Zoraster
08-06-2011, 07:37 AM
It was a good entertaining match against Nullk’s ‘zons last night. I committed the cardinal sin of rat coaching by failing to get a defensive score, but it was more a case of Nullk getting the rolls to keep drives alive rather than my rats failing to ask the questions; Powgirls kept answering them in a display of elfin efficiency. All in all with the ‘zon dodging and ball handling outperforming my AG4 efforts I’m content that it came down to turn 16 dodging failure to prevent a rat triumph. Not a result that either side will be pleased with though.

groovychainsaw
08-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I've hopped on this morning and (correctly this time!) validated any completed matches. Hopefully you should all see your SPPs now :-). Sorry if you've been waiting for the approval for a couple of days ;-)

Vexing Vision
08-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I feel the unexplainable urge to share a real-life Bloodbowl Snotlings vs Pro-Elves match. Fast forward to 5:30 and tell me that's not Bloodbowl.

http://www.dump.com/2011/06/04/japanese-soccer-team-vs-100-kids-video/

Good preparation, poor caging.

groovychainsaw
08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
To break that cage, some of those snots are getting knockdowns on 2/3-dice against hits. I guess with enough snotlings, and enough time, you can achieve the blood bowl equivalent of Shakespeare ;-)

/Dreams of playing 100 snotlings in my next ogre match

Superb post VV!

ChainsawHands
08-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Elf Harm's run of draws continues, 1-1 against Mr Dragon's Lyran Common-Elf. It would have been a 2-1 defeat, but Dragon failed a pass on turn 8. I was lucky to get the draw, and sustained... oh, 4 or 5 BHs - again, I was lucky they weren't worse.

Thanks to Mr Dragon for the game. Replay here. (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7gWWmac1yV8YWU5MTVmODgtNGY1ZS00MGYzLWFmN GYtMTA4ZTNkYmIzNmJi&hl=en_GB)

Mr Dragon
08-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Lyran Common-Elf 1:1 Elf Harm

A game that went almost entirely to plan except for a tiny dice-related mishap. I won the flip, chose to receive and did what everyone would do against a team that's mostly AV7: tried to turn the match into a horrible slugfest. This "strategy" served me well for most of the first half, until it was time for me to actually score. Nuffle decided that a touchdown was completely out of the question, gracing me with a one re-rolled into a one for a catch, leaving us with a score of 0:0 after turn 8 (ChainsawHands, meanwhile, had spent the last three turns fouling my blitzer, Highlander. I have no idea why he hates him so much, he couldn't harm a fly).

ChainsawHands started the second half with several players missing due to BHs and KOs. He nonetheless managed to quickly score the game's first touchdown due to his swarm of catchers.
I immediately picked up where I had left off, i.e. formed a cage and started pounding. I slowly amde my way down the pitch, punching elves whereever I could, and walked the ball in in turn 16
(ChainsawHands, of course, had decided to gang up on Highlander again - and he's such a nice guy once you get to know him).

Thank you for the game, ChainsawHands, and for supplying the championship division with another quality elf-related pun. We clearly need more of those.

ChainsawHands
08-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I didn't like his face.

I also didn't like his +1 ST and frenzy... but it was mostly his face.

cwoac
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Ah, a 2-1 loss against Arnisauras' orcs, despite taking him down to two black orcs. Although his 'lets dress a wood-elf up as an orc' tactic failed to stop my lone td -his lineman made, I think four dodge rolls in a row, then failed the gfi to attack...

Gorm
09-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Just played mootpoints halflings, 2-0 to my vampires, so many injuries for both sides. One of the halflings died but i cant really take credit he was trying to dodge out of a tackle zone. Even the crowd got in on the game of hit the thrall and managed to badly hurt one.
The score would have been more equal if the thrown halfling had landed properly.

mootpoint
09-06-2011, 12:35 AM
@Gorm: Damn you're fast!

2-0 it was, luckily for me.

Gorm's Vampires didn't do half as much damage as I had feared to my poor half-armoured, half-nuffled halfling. The shorties did have a couple of chances at scoring, most of them foiled by either their coach or the Almighty Nuffle. Most irritating of which was when, for a precious few turns, one of them managed to hold on to the ball and could have gotten it to a Treeman for a quick team-mate throw. Instead, I decided it would be a good idea to try to bash a Vamp with my other treeman who promptly fell over while going for it. Boo.

A really good game all things considered, I think I'll enjoy playing these short buggers!

Gorm
09-06-2011, 01:08 AM
@mootpoint: Thats what she said

Yea i was concentrating on trying to keep my players on the pitch rather than trying to take your players off the pitch.
Dont think i've seen Treemen move around the pitch as much as you moved them to be honest.

Arnisarus
09-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Ah, a 2-1 loss against Arnisauras' orcs, despite taking him down to two black orcs. Although his 'lets dress a wood-elf up as an orc' tactic failed to stop my lone td -his lineman made, I think four dodge rolls in a row, then failed the gfi to attack...

I'm thinking i shouild have named him dances with trees or something, that was some epic dodging skills he showed, only to fall over his own boots on the GFI, tbh though if you hadn't have run in that TD that turn i might not have scored the 2nd, but then you "might" not have scored your 1 either, was a good game though. Silly that the 2 biggest badest orc on the team got paggered by zombies and a golem :D

Cheers for the game dude

cwoac
09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking i shouild have named him dances with trees or something, that was some epic dodging skills he showed, only to fall over his own boots on the GFI, tbh though if you hadn't have run in that TD that turn i might not have scored the 2nd, but then you "might" not have scored your 1 either, was a good game though. Silly that the 2 biggest badest orc on the team got paggered by zombies and a golem :D

Cheers for the game dude

Yeah, from what I recall, I was fairly sure that if I had delayed again, you'd have got a 2d block with a reroll still in hand on him. And he did at least get to your orc in the last turn, even if he did only manage an 'attacker down'.

But yeah, if these teams meet again, morky is getting concentrated on. I still think he has the makings of an excellent zombie.

Arnisarus
09-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Poor Morky, Gorky should be joining him next game, so that will be nice. I'll have them both prepared for your bashing :D

HughTower
09-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I didn't like his face.

I also didn't like his +1 ST and frenzy... but it was mostly his face.

Pat Benatar scratches out a new name in her bark-leaf notebook.

sinister agent
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Please don't validate Combat and my game yet (Eternal Bewilderment Vs Jesters of Death) - it appears he was cut off halfway through, with no clear winner in sight. I'll give it a couple of days to give him a chance to rematch it if he wants to.

I note that you get the option to hire your mercenaries after a match, which is neat. Bit crap that you can't do that if your winnings haven't been added yet, though. Hmph. Also I discovered a wonderful new bug that prevents you from placing more than 1 player on a wing. Whiiine.

President Weasel
09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
You don't get the winnings until after you've bought (or declined) the mercenary, that's working as intended according to the rules of blood bowl, apparently.

Jolima
09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Played drawlien's Khemri with my Vampires and won 1-0.

Some bullet points:
A high level Tomb Guardian was taken out on the first or second turn, earning a pointless -1AG.
In the first half, I used 7 rerolls and drawlien 6. In the second we used 6 each.
My AG 6 vampire was killed in action.
I never had more than 6 players at the end of a drive and a full team at each start except the last with only 9.
I only had 4 thralls and no vampires on the field when I scored.
The Tomb Guardians got lots of skulls/both down.
The Vampires ate a lot of their team mates.

Might be worth a proper writeup this one. But I don't have time for that tonight.

Kelron
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Continuing my draw streak with a tense 2-2 match against Daave. I thought I had it in the bag with 1 turn to go and all his possible scorers penned in at the edge of the pitch. A series of dodges and 1d blocks managed to clear a path for his ball carrier to run down the side and make 2 GFIs to score. That's not to say I wasn't without my own share of good luck, at the end of the first half when my dangerously exposed ball carrier survived multiple 2d blocks, and the beginning of the second when Daave's fireball left my entire cage still standing.

groovychainsaw
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Matches validated, sinisteragent and combat's game reset too.

Daave
10-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Next time I bring a wizard I'm going to loudly play the word wizard on repeat every 10 seconds. I remembered to use him when it was too late and could have zapped the blodging ball-carrier when he was completely exposed near the end of the first half, alas. But forgetting the wizard I think a draw was probably fair, as neither one could stop the other from scoring.

President Weasel
10-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I think I've bought 4 wizards in the course of my bloodbowling career, and remembered precisely none of them. Next time I get one I'll put a post it in the middle of the screen.

Screwie
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I played 4 SP games last night, bought a Wizard for every one of them... Yet I remembered they were there precisely once.

That wizard icon in the top right really needs to blink on and off constantly. (Back in the boardgame days, I used to purposefully hold the toad spell token throughout the match so I wouldn't forget.)

Daave
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Although it probably would have come up as 1 anyway. When I used the fireball on his cage, out of 5 players hit, 0 were knocked down. Clearly not the best wizard.

Screwie
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Argh, I don't trust the fireball. Even the goblin bombadier gets a solid hit on the target square. In Wizards vs Cages, I would usually throw the lightning bolt at the ball carrier and then hope to blitz whichever sap on the exterior catches the bouncing ball.

Gorm
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Damn i forgot a Thrall got my mvp, i can imagine this happening every game. The other two teams in my league are block heavy so in my next two games i can imagine a lot of frusting block results.

darkweeble
10-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Karandraz and I just had about half our game. I was moving to blitz his Skink for the second time and failed my GFI again when it crashed. I think the random number generator realized it was stuck and gave up on life.

We were 1-0 to Karandraz on turn 7 and I'd like to just give him the win. I'm not sure how this usually works but it's definitely possibly he could have gotten at least 2-0 on me. Please give the man his win; he earned it.

potatoedoughnut
11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
I think I've bought 4 wizards in the course of my bloodbowling career, and remembered precisely none of them. Next time I get one I'll put a post it in the middle of the screen.

I always forget Wizards and bribes. The kickoff event that gives a free bribe I never take advantage of the lower-risk fouling. I've tried post its on my monitor and it doesn't work. I need someone to tap me on the shoulder at the beginning of each of my turns and remind me.

Rylon
11-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Rylon and I just finished our game. Both our teams forgot to bring armour to today's match, but I was able to get the injury lead first and took the game 3-0.

Sorry about the bum luck Rylon. Nuffle will make it up to you next week :)

edit: Is there a DoD bbmanager league?

Potatoedoughnut brought the pain, that was for sure. When I lost 3 players after the first 3 turns I knew it was trouble, especially when my pestigor decided to nap the entire game. Grats to him.

Also, this may be a bit of a noob question, but I seem to be having problems when I have a guy come out of a KO before a kickoff and I'm already fielding less than 11. For whatever reason I cannot click him off the bench and put him anywhere on the pitch, even though I see his name up on the right of the screen? Is there something that I'm missing or not doing? I hate having him placed by default at the back of the pitch due to my ineptness. Thanks in advance

boots468
11-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Boots468's Vampires V MadDave123's Nurgle.

Well, with no player on the pitch having block, dodge or any ball handling skills this was never going to be pretty. MadDave started as he went on to continue by rolling double both down on his very first dice roll. He used one of his two re-rolls to make this a defender down, and things then proceeded as expected with the Nurgles forming a cage, the thralls running around to cover gaps and the vampires standing stationary trying to resist eating thralls. One thrall got badly hurt, but on the next vamp turn a bit of hypnotising (that required a re-roll) gave a thrall a chance to 1d block the ball carrier. In my only bit of bad luck, this saw me roll defender down and the thrall was badly hurt, leaving me with 9 players for the rest of the game. Oddly enough, he later got MVP.

MadDave's inexperience vs vamps and general bad luck started to show next, with the Nurgle Warrior staying hypnotised, and his Beast of Nurgle rolling skulls every chance possible. I manage to knock over his ball carrier, and we spend a few turns pushing each other around and failing to pick up the ball. Although I have to use 4 of my 5 re-rolls on avoiding blood lust, my lovely st 4 ag 4 players prove their worth and KO two rotters, and break free with the ball. His bad luck with the Beast of Nurgle continues and I run in the touchdown on turn 7. Turn 8 sees the pestigor and a thrall KOd, and we line up for the second half with me receiving with just 8 players a side.

Things progress as previously, with his Beast of Nurgle chewing through re-rolls and turnovers, and I manage to break free along a sideline with two vamps and a thrall. A rotter manages a 2d against block on my vamp, and I have to settle for both down. Unfortunatly the ball bounces out of play and is thrown in to the centre of the pitch, away from any of my players. More fighting continues, and by turn 12, MadDave is outnumbered in players 7 - 6, but a Nurgle Warrior is holding the ball in my half. A vamp and thrall get the ball off him though and his bad luck quickly returns, with the beast causing more turnovers and my remaining four thralls staying upright or only knocked down even with 2d blocks against them. I stay lucky with bloodlust and run in the goal in turn 15, with 4 of my 5 re-rolls remaining. Nothing of note happens in turn 16, giving me the 2-0 win.

I'd like to say I played really well, but MadDave had no luck with the dice (especially with the beast!) and if the dice rolls were the other way round, the result probably would have been as well. Thanks for the game Dave, and better luck in your next game! (although you would struggle to have worse luck ...)

ntw
11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
@ Rylon - I think that's a bug.

Just played INinja132 in a skaven vs nurgle match up.

Someone coated the ball and the skaven boots/paws in butter before the game, failed pickups, failed dodges and failed GFIs all around burnt rerolls for both teams.
However my Nurglers managed to wipe off the slippery stuff long enough in the 8th turn to perform a beautiful play starting with a blitz to clear a pestigor who then dodged (4+) and GFI-ed (2+) to run into the endzone, a block to free up another pestigor in his own half - who then picked up the ball (3+) lying by the touchline, ran into the skaven half, pushed 2 GFIs (2+, 2+) and launched a long pass (5+) to the waiting pestigor in the endzone who caught the ball (3+) for a TD...all without a reroll.
The sweltering heat and a few rats still snoozing from the first half meant the rest of the game was basically a slow roll up the pitch for the Nurgle cage with the skaven numbers being further reduced as the match progressed. An heroic dodging 2D against block from the rats came to nothing and was followed by a failed handoff in the 15th turn to try and farm some SPPs on a nurgle warrior then a failed pickup to end the game at 1-0.

Cheers for the game, played as always in good spirit. Apart from my ridiculous 8th turn move we both had pretty awful dice, I'm pleased to have come out of the game against the only finesse team in the Div with a 1-0 win.

MadDave123
11-06-2011, 05:15 PM
*grumble grumble* Stupid Beast *grumble*

Ho hum. The dice weren't with me today, but I still enjoyed my first league match very much. The highlight for me was definitely when a rotter blitzed into a vamp with 2d, the ball getting lobbed into the Vamp's half of the pitch and a Warrior managing to pick the ball up without a re-roll.

Thanks for the game Boots. ;)

ntw
11-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I've setup a forum group for the DoD - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

I'm not sure yet what use it'll be :)

potatoedoughnut
11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I've setup a forum group for the DoD - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

I'm not sure yet what use it'll be :)

I joined it!! (What does it do?)

President Weasel
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
so have I, what fun!

Cacamas
11-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Just completed my division 7 match with Marmojet. Really, really tight game: my runner was one square short of a touchdown on the final turn of the first half and he squeezed in a touchdown with three turns to go. 1-0 loss in the end but at least I got some casualties. At the end of the day, the boys done good :) (just not good enough)

Indefatigible Snoozer
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Just had the opening match of my DoD career. A 0-3 annihilation: not an auspicious start.

Utena's High Elves won the toss, and elected to receive. My dwarves set up to try to stop the passing kings, and cause some damage. My deathroller set up in the middle of the LoS, and, with a bribe on board, the plan was for him to be around for at least the first half.

The elves picked up the ball, got some 1d knockdowns, found a hole, and scored on turn 2, classic elfball.

The first score was expected. The second drive was going to be key. The plan was, it would last the rest of the half, my death roller would blitz every turn, and I would slowly work my way down the field, leaving elf bodies in my wake, to score on turn 8.

It worked pretty well at first. I managed 3 KOs, but had insufficient men to form a full cage on turn 7, 4 square from the TD line. He swooped in, and took out my runner, leaving a lineelf with the ball. Turn 8 - block down the ball carrier, ball lands next my unmarked AGI 3 blitzer. No RRs left - to score I need to pick up, dodge once, and make gfi roll. Pick up successful - dodge successful - gfi FAIL. Blitzer falls over on the scoreline, and the first half ends, 1-0.

Tiny the Deathroller rolls off at the beginning of the second half, and 1 of his KO'd elves recovers, so its 9 to 10. Kick-off event is a riot, and suddenly its 7 TO 3, as my entire team bar runner and 2 blitzers is stunned. I desperately pick up the ball and position my blitzers to try to block the incoming elves. On turn 9, with his entire team surrounding my runner, I do what seemed like a good idea the time, and throw the ball as far as possible into the other half, where he has left only one elf. This buys me some time to reposition my now recovered team, but more throwing and dodging and shortly thereafter comes another TD. 2-0.

I go into the last 4 turns determined to get a consolation TD. I cage up and advance. He breaks the cage, knocks the ball loose, and runs out of range of all but one dwarf, who needs a GFI to blitz. He gets his GFI, but rolls a push back. I RR a skull. 3-0.

A good game - I am philosophical about the result. I've started with a DR for shock value (and because I've never used one before), but I think the other 2 elf teams in division D should take this game as a sign that there is nothing to fear.

groovychainsaw
11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I've validated all the game i could spot.

I'd just like to check DarkWeeble, that you're happy for Karandraz to take the win, as a disconnect in the first half would usually get replayed and you still have a couple of days left? If you're sure, I'll set it as it is, with a 2-0 loss, but you won't get any winnings or MVPs from it...

smaug81
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
The match with Cacamas was indeed a nail-biter. I got myself embroiled in a probably ill-advised scrum early in the first half. . . it began as a (successful!) attempt to employ frenzy to chain push his ball carrier out of his cage, giving me a blitz for a 1d block. Knocked the ball carrier down, made the dodge out of a nearby dwarf's tackle zone, but then failed the pickup. The end result was an unfortunate number of my players packed in close around his cage, which gave him a few stuns/casualties on the next turn. It was around this time, I believe, that an Ulfwerener went down early, badly hurt. Following that, I attempted to back off and stall his cage as much as possible. Eventually, some unlucky pushes/both downs resulted in me having the chance to bash up his cage a bit and knock the ball free once again. No chance at recovery, but it did mean that he lacked just 1 square of movement to get the touchdown on turn 8.

A few KO recoveries resulted in surprisingly even numbers at the beginning of the second half (8-9 on each side). Early shenanigans in the first few turns resulted in a Berserker going off the right sideline, but my remaining Ulfwerener then employed Frenzy blitzes to push off a lineman and Cacamas's one Troll-slayer. One of my Linemen went down dead around the same time. As his stunties closed in around me, I gathered up my remaining Linemen into a cage around the Thrower. An unsuccessful attempt to break into the cage gave me the chance to block it clear and exploit an opening, taking my cage across into left field.

From this point forward, it was a matter of me outrunning him as best I could. He moved some dwarves in to mark the top two corners of my cage, along with the bottom right. Blitzing with the top left Lineman, I managed to push back his Blitzer and move the Lineman downfield, followed by the Thrower and the bottom left Lineman from my cage, forming a 3 man line. I left the remaining Linemen in place, hoping to keep his stunties from pursuing. Cacamas managed to get one dwarf on the top side of my line and initiated a 1d blitz on the ball carrier from the bottom, resulting in. . . . . skull. My 3 man line blitzed itself free of the remaining dwarf and continued down field right to the touchline, where, being out of rerolls, I chose not to tempt fate with the GFI into the endzone. The dwarves again pursued as fast as their stubby little legs would carry them, getting two of them lined up along the bottom of my line. Fortunately, I succeeded in pushing one back, allowing my thrower a 2d hit to blitz himself free and walk the ball in.

With only two or three turns remaining, I set up deep in my own field (after some Perfect Defence adjustment) to delay Cacamas and avoid any further injuries. The ball landed around the middle of his side of the field. He attempted to dodge a Runner through several tackle zones into my backfield for a last minute pass, but didn't quite make it. Seeing little other opportunity to do anything useful, I lined up a few assists on the Runner and had my nearby Berserker go for the foul. Armor roll successful. Injury roll successful.

Dead.

Fortunately for Cacamas, he managed to Apoc it into Badly Hurt. The last turn of the match saw a Blitzer break through a gap for the backfield and catch a long pass, but having used his move to get there he was unable to move any further towards the endzone. Just a few squares short, once again.

All in all an excellent match. Casualties were surprisingly even on both sides for most of the game. Cacamas had some comically poor luck at all the wrong moments, and some startlingly good luck at times when it still just wasn't quite enough. The game could easily have gone either way, but the dice were kinder to me in the end. An auspicious start for both of our teams, I'd say.

Kelron
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Utena's High Elves won the toss, and elected to receive. My dwarves set up to try to stop the passing kings, and cause some damage. My deathroller set up in the middle of the LoS, and, with a bribe on board, the plan was for him to be around for at least the first half.

I prefer not to use secret weapons when kicking, at least not against an elf team. You can't reliably stop them from scoring a fast TD, and any KOs you inflict will get an extra chance to recover. If you deploy it at the start of your drive, you have much more control over its use and how long it stays on the pitch for. I'm not sure a Dwarf team can really afford to start with a Deathroller, as fun as it can be you're paying either in positionals or RRs, and you need a sub so you aren't a player down when it's off the pitch.

ntw
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I joined it!! (What does it do?)

so have I, what fun!

I've sent a few invites out, then got bored. Feel free to apply for membership and maybe we can work out what it does together! :)

President Weasel
11-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I prefer not to use secret weapons when kicking, at least not against an elf team. You can't reliably stop them from scoring a fast TD, and any KOs you inflict will get an extra chance to recover. If you deploy it at the start of your drive, you have much more control over its use and how long it stays on the pitch for. I'm not sure a Dwarf team can really afford to start with a Deathroller, as fun as it can be you're paying either in positionals or RRs, and you need a sub so you aren't a player down when it's off the pitch.

The times I've seen a deathroller it's usually come trundling on to the pitch at the start of the second half, and then gone trundling through (and over) my team on the way to the classic 1-0 dwarf grind. You do need about 12 dwarfs plus the roller though, to stop the opponent KOing one of your dwarfs, scoring in turn 7, and forcing the roller onto the pitch for one turn before it's sent off.

mombiushibachi
12-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Just played Meatloafs Lizardmen (We Thought It Was Tennis) vs my Khemri team (Music & Me).. 0-2 to me :) Thanks for the game Mr Loaf! Some gutsy moves from you :P

ntw
12-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Just played Meatloafs Lizardmen (We Thought It Was Tennis) vs my Khemri team (Music & Me).. 0-2 to me :) Thanks for the game Mr Loaf! Some gutsy moves from you :P

Can you put the score into the SpreadSheet (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en&key=t4JCm2oCug-E2W2lQECEkyw&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=21) please guys! :)

/edit - done it for you, validated result and rolled day on

ChIpStIcK
12-06-2011, 02:18 AM
2-0 for me over copper, good game

darkweeble
12-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Yes please give him the 2-0. I'm fine with it. I'd feel crappy if we replayed and I won so this is really a selfish decision on my part. Plus I need to give everyone else in my league a bit of a handicap to give them a chance.

Indefatigible Snoozer
12-06-2011, 08:38 AM
The times I've seen a deathroller it's usually come trundling on to the pitch at the start of the second half, and then gone trundling through (and over) my team on the way to the classic 1-0 dwarf grind. You do need about 12 dwarfs plus the roller though, to stop the opponent KOing one of your dwarfs, scoring in turn 7, and forcing the roller onto the pitch for one turn before it's sent off.

Yes, maybe i should have bought a 12th dwarf with my petty cash rather than a bribe. I managed to keep him around for the whole first half though - arguably its more effective to try to KO/casualty out as many elves as possible in the first half so you have an advantage in the second, yes/no? I got two of three KOs with the DR, so he helped some. The scoreline may have been quite different if a riot hadn't stunned 7 of 10 dwarves (and only 2 elves) on turn 8.

boots468
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
In the spreadsheet in div G, I'm down to play Chipstick next, but in the game itself, it seems I'm upagainst Copper next. Cyanide's user interface isn't the most intuitive/easy to use (so I might be reading it wrong!), but is this more likely to be correct than the speadsheet, or can an admin alter the order of games played in the league in the game?

Thanks,

Screwie
12-06-2011, 09:40 AM
arguably its more effective to try to KO/casualty out as many elves as possible in the first half so you have an advantage in the second, yes/no?

That's how I see it, yeah. Reducing your opponent's numbers also helps because you're going to be a man down when your DR is sent off anyway.

Jolima
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
In the spreadsheet in div G, I'm down to play Chipstick next, but in the game itself, it seems I'm upagainst Copper next. Cyanide's user interface isn't the most intuitive/easy to use (so I might be reading it wrong!), but is this more likely to be correct than the speadsheet, or can an admin alter the order of games played in the league in the game?

Thanks,

Seems the seeding wasn't set up for that league before the start. It can't be changed after some matches has been played so you will have to go by the order in the game. I've fixed the spreadsheet to match up with the game. (ntw, I don't think I broke anything, but double check will you?)

I've also validated the ChIpStIcK/copper game.

President Weasel
12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
That's how I see it, yeah. Reducing your opponent's numbers also helps because you're going to be a man down when your DR is sent off anyway.

I could be wrong; I think I've played one game with dwarfs in my life. In my experience of playing against them though, they've been most horrible coming on in the second half and staying around. That said, the worst dwarf teams I've played against, I don't think they had the roller at all.

Curvespace
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
My game with SoulPride got disconnected a few turns from the end in a really bizarre fashion, which after 20 mins of sitting around trying to restart ended up with me given the game by default at 3 - 1. We've since discussed it and neither of us will have time for a rematch and though I offered to leave the score as it was at 1 - 0, SoulPride very sportingly would rather it was set to 1 - 1 and a draw (I was hitting a catch in his half, which although I thought I wasn't going to break, he imagines otherwise).

So, could the Div1 league admin set the game to 1 - 1? Is that even possible?

SoulPride
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
My match against Curvespace just fell victim to a "network synchronization failure" on both ends. We were both stuck in-game but unable to actually play the match. I think I disconnected first because it awarded Curvespace the win. I was 1-0 up at the start of turn 14, but Curvespace was beginning to overwhelm my cage and an elf team can easily score in that amount of time. We've spoken about it and are both happy to have the result changed to a 1-1 score if possible.

It was a good game while it lasted, though. Very tense!

Screwie
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I could be wrong; I think I've played one game with dwarfs in my life. In my experience of playing against them though, they've been most horrible coming on in the second half and staying around. That said, the worst dwarf teams I've played against, I don't think they had the roller at all.

Well I also prefer to bring the DR out on the first drive so it doesn't unwittingly get forced onto the field after a 6th or 7th turn TD.

Though I can see what you're saying. Later in a match the opposing team is less likely to have all the players they need to deal with the DR.

Kelron
12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
arguably its more effective to try to KO/casualty out as many elves as possible in the first half so you have an advantage in the second, yes/no?

The problem is that, barring lucky dice, it's difficult to stop an elf team from scoring fast. So you have your DR on the pitch for 2 or 3 turns, then use your bribe to have it on the pitch for the rest of the first half. If you instead used it at the start of your drive, you could use the bribe to keep it on the pitch for your drive in the second half too. The risk of the elves removing one of your players and scoring late to force it on for 1 turn is unlikely, firstly because of the difficulty of hurting dwarves and secondly because the longer they stall the more chances they're giving you to hurt them.

Meatloaf
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM

By "gutsy moves" he means "Sent in a lone Skink against a Tomb Guardian and 2 Skeletons to try to tackle, twice." So by "gutsy moves" he really means "He's got no clue what's going on."

Good game, anyhows. Very helpful and informative. Now I know just how screwed my team is. I need a few less Skinks and a few more Sauruses. Is it possible to add players/modify the team at all mid-season, earn money and the like? Is that a thing we can do?

potatoedoughnut
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
By "gutsy moves" he means "Sent in a lone Skink against a Tomb Guardian and 2 Skeletons to try to tackle, twice." So by "gutsy moves" he really means "He's got no clue what's going on."

Good game, anyhows. Very helpful and informative. Now I know just how screwed my team is. I need a few less Skinks and a few more Sauruses. Is it possible to add players/modify the team at all mid-season, earn money and the like? Is that a thing we can do?

You earn money after every match to buy new players with, but depending on how much your players cost it can take several matches to save up for one. I highly recommend the excellent bbtactics.com to new players for starting rosters and skill up advice.

As an aside, it looks like I'm your next round opponent :) When is a good time for you to play? You can reply in the match organizing thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?44-RPS-Blood-Bowl-Divisions-of-Death-Match-Organising&p=5533&viewfull=1#post5533) so we don't clutter up this one.

Machination
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Divisions of Death 3, Monopole Magnates vs. Slay City Slayers REMATCH

In a bizarre twist of fate, everyone's favorite team from beyond the grave again faced the cash-grubbing lizard people in back to back grudge matches.

In the end, though the lizards paid dearly, the tally was 3-1 for the Monopole Magnates. Writeup to come (possihopefully)

29http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/images/misc/pencil.png

laneford
12-06-2011, 08:49 PM
A very see-saw 1-1 draw between the Rejected RPG Stats and Let them Eat Lembas. Both teams had moments where nuffle and the dice smiled on them, and then others where their players seemed incapable of the most basic of tasks. It was a good game, very exciting! Match report later if I can dredge some salient details from the erratic volume that passes for my memory.

If any admins for Div A could validate the match that would be lovely, as then I can welcome Asurya, my newest rotter, and former High Elf star Blitzer, to my team. :D

Alethron
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Another death, another draw for Let Them Eat Lembas, who are now starting to forget what victory tastes like. The match against Laneford's Nurgle team - Rejected RPG Stats - was a fairly even affair in the end, although it swung direction dramatically at points. The final score reflected the overall run of play and I think was a fair result.

Laneford won the toss and elected to kick off, most likely going for the 2-1 grind by making the Elves score first. The High Elves were able to take their time scoring though, shifting the ball around and making space thanks to some very fortuitous dice rolls (indeed it seemed that they were the bashiest of the sides in the first half, making lots of successful one die blocks). They ran the ball in with 1 turn remaining in the half, leaving the Nurglers the difficult task of scoring with just 2 turns left for them before half time, which they were unable to do.

In the second half things carried on in the same manner for a while, the elves able to put pressure on and spill the ball a couple of times. They overcommitted around turn 13 though, trying to mark players up to stop the Nurgle from getting to the ball. However, in the following turn the Nurgle players started rolling dice like they're supposed to, injuring Elves all over the place and even throwing the ball to an AG 2 Warrior. In a single turn the High Elves went from having 10 players on the pitch to 5, and watched in horror as their star blodge/guard blitzer Asuryan died in front of their eyes. Demoralised and broken, Let Them Eat Lembas lay in the dirt as Rejected RPG Stats walked the ball in for an easy TD to bring the game to 1-1.

Thanks for the game Laneford, well played.

Jiiiiim
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
To add to Machination's INEVITABLY AMAZING WRITEUP THAT HE WILL DO, I give you the top secret strategies that enabled me to secure a victory
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5008/lizzrds.png

link if this is too big (http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5008/lizzrds.png)

KayD
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Div F My Mice to see you, to see you...(SKA) vs Schaulustigers' Skullsmashin' Greens(ORC)

Very enjoyable game for Mice to see you, to see you... with some incredible luck. I think Schaulustiger dealt with it very well I would have been raging! First turn rats get a Blitz! and manage to get a gutter runner under the ball and a weak cage around him. Get lucky in only getting pushed back and manage to score the next round after some tricky maneuvering, lucky blitzing and a quick dodge. 1-0 to rats turn 2.

Kick off on turn 2 another Blitz! Bit sickening. Unfortunately the kick goes off field and Orks elect to give it to their thrower and form a cage around him in the middle of the pitch. Rats manage to break a corner and get 2 on his thrower resulting in them both getting KO'd in his turn for their eagerness. Mean while rats manage to knock a Blitzer off the field and carefully maneuver a lineman to the opposite touchline. Schaulustiger then heads down the field forming another cage but leaving the front a little open resulting in a chance to get a 1 dice block on with my Stormvermin. Comes up a push, rerolls to both down and he drops the ball. Very lucky me again. Gutter Runner retrieves it and runs up the field and after some pushing and shoving gets intercepted by ork lineman 3 squares away from touchline. Gets knocked over but nothing near him to stop him picking it up next turn and scoring 2-0 to Rats turn 7.

Half time 2-0. One injured rat.

Rats receive form a weak cage after a blitz and with a bit of shoving get it to a marked gutter runner who runs it in on turn 10. 3-0 to rats.

Orks receive and procede to kill my linerat! Apoth rolled from Death to Death. So some consolation for Schaulustiger there! He forms a cage at half way which i manage to knock one side of down and get a 2 dice against block with my wrestling Gutter which comes up BD and DD! Incredibly lucky but at least he manages to injure him for the pleasure next turn. Black Ork picks up and tears down the field. Gets caught by 3 gutter runners which roll a BD. On the Orks turn Blitzer charges in picks up and passes to his waiting Blitzer friend who runs it in for Ork TD. 3-1 turn 14!

Rats receive, gutter runner picks it up and runs to the entirely wrong square and gets knocked over by a waiting Black Ork who then procedes to pick the ball up! and then withstand a 2 dice block by a Stormvermin(2xAD). Unfortunately he goes for the pass to a forward blitzer and is intercepted by the waiting gutter runner who was assisting the last block. Dodges out hands off and runs in 2 GFI for a score! 4-1 to Rats and one last turn for Orks to try and squish some rodents.

3 injured and one dead Rat! Orks unscathed unsuprisingly. 3 levelled gutter runners and a 4th 2 points off his 2nd level. Very good game and thanks for keeping it sportsman like Schaulustiger!

Team is shaping up nicely. I'm really hoping I don't get completely minced by the Goblins next week..

laneford
12-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Jiiiiiim that is my new favourite match report ever.

President Weasel
12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Jiiim, I... I don't know how to say this, but....

I think I love you.

ntw
13-06-2011, 01:09 AM
some matches validated;
Div3 rolled on.
Div2 rolled on (Dark Weeble forfeit processed).
Div1 rolled on (CurveSpace vs SoulPride administratively set to 1-1).

oh, and Spreadsheet seems OK to me - thanks for the quick alteration Jolima :)

/edit - please remember to enter your results into the SpreadSheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en#gid=21) chaps.

karandraz
13-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks to dark weeble for the fun game, shame about the crash dude, am sure we will get to play again =)

And jiiiiim that was beautiful!

groovychainsaw
13-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure I can compete with Jiiim's match report magnificence. Suffice to say, I'll do it in the (long-winded) style I usually do

The 4 Colour Villains (GC) vs. The Chaos Ravagers (Elesium).

So my Humies vs. Elesium's Chaos. Elesium has the bold starting lineup of 4 chaos warriors, one minotaur and only one reroll. One beastman with block and one chaos warrior with block. I have all my blitzers, an ogre, one thrower, one catcher (who has wrestle). Teams are pretty much evens. We start the game under sweltering sun, I win the toss and opt to receive.

Blitz! As always. Fortunately, the kick has gone deep. Also fortunately, I went with a strong line, tying up all his chaos warriors and his minotaur, so none of them can move. Elesium tries to beat a hole in my right wing, but only gets a push. He then dashes through with a beastman, makes a dodge, but fails the goforit and hits the deck (literally, as we're playing on a ship).I decide the pickup is key here, moving back to pick up before any hits. Luckily my thrower has sure hands, makes a good pickup and goes even deeper into my half, out of range of all of elesium's players. No cages for me yet! I then try to push back the chaos warriors on the line, fairly successfully, with my blitzers once again doing a good job of making those 1 dice hits. Elesium's bold positioning on his left backfires slightly when I knock down some of his players who are standing next to my wing after the blitz. The left wing is looking fairly open, and the hits on the line have allowed my catcher to run his full 8 into Elesium's half. The only player who can get near him is a chaos warrior...

Elesium returns some hits, blitzes with the minotaur, stands up a few others, generally re-engaging. He runs his Chaos warrior back to mark up my catcher, then stands his beastman up and makes 2 goforits to stand next to my thrower (I kept trying to 'encourage' goforits by leaving myself 2 squares beyond normal movement range, hoping to burn Elesium's one reroll. It never quite worked...). My turn, I focus on the ball, blitzing from the right wing to make the hit on the beastman, getting a 2 turn stun. My left hand 'pocket' continues to form well, bashing the beastmen back down and I'm holding the line reasonably well, preventing the warriors from getting left. My catcher dodges away from his warrior marker and runs to the left hand side.

Elesium bashes back at me (I'm thankful for my AV8!), getting a few hits and a few pushes. No really bad dice for either of us yet. The chaos warrior makes his goforits to get back onto my catcher. I've still got a pocket on the left, so on my turn, my thrower runs into it, with the blitzer covering behind to make the recovering beastman in my half has a harder time for the knockdown. Bashing continues on the line, keeping everyone well pinned. Elsium takes his next turn by trying to lock up my cage and then making the one dice hit with his recovered beastman from my half. He gets the hit, and the ball falls at the feet of a lineman, who scoops it up. More bashing occurs. I *think* we've scored one KO each at this point. My turn, I try to re-secure the cage, bashing my guys free a little and inching up the field. My catcher once again runs across to the right, deep in Elesium's half, but fails his solitary goforit and goes down.

Elsium applies pressure to my cage, still a little stuck in centre field, but a minotaur is approaching my cage. Elesium gets turned over at some point (hazy memory i have...), leaving me with a choice of trying to shore up my cage or just going for it. I decide to be bold. I stand up my catcher, run him into the endzone, centre field, well within reach of being pushed off the pitch next turn. I 2 dice block a beastman off a corner of my cage, then run centre-field with my ball carrier. He makes one goforit to shorten the range, then makes a pass - fail. Reroll - success! A perfect launch, my catcher receives the ball cleanly in the endzone. 1-0 to the 4 Colour Villains on turn 5. Still gives Elesium 4 turns to return....

The sweltering heat sees me lose a blitzer and a lineman, whilst Elesium loses a warrior. My 8 vs Elesium's 9 will make this tougher. I kick off fairly central, Elesium makes some hits, gets a few knockdowns, then gets the ball and goes for a pass to his chaos warrior with block. The chaos warrior is now the ball carrier, surrounded by chaos warriors and a minotaur :-S. Still, my line is in the mix, and I tie up as much of the cage as possible, whilst keeping an eye on the wings for any tricksy stuff. A couple of turns of bashy play sees Elesium make a break for it, turn 7, with his Chaos Warrior well in range of my endzone and all my team marked. There's no way to reliably get 2 men on the warrior, it looks like I'll concede turn 8. Another bold move required. My catcher dodges away from his marker cleanly, runs backfield, gets in front of the warrior and makes the 2 dice against hit (considering he has wrestle, I don't know how 'crazy' this play was). He gets 2 'trip' results on the 2 dice, and Elesium's chaos warrior goes down. I stand on the ball, fail to pick it up, and then fail to pick it up again with my next move. Turnover. Turn 8, Elesium blitzes my catcher down with the Chaos Warrior, and tries to dodge away with his one beastman in range of the endzone. He fails the dodge and ends the first half. Tense stuff!

Second half, I'm kicking off again, trying to think up ways of slowing down a chaos team over 8 turns OR letting them in quickly so I've got time to return a TD. I go for the former, continuing to tie up the warriors and minotaur in the middle whilst elesium pushes to my left. I try to hold up the ball carrier, getting to him with one blitz but only succeeding in a push. I'm perhaps over-committed to the left, and once again we're both a man down due to sweltering heat. Elesium bashes a bit more, scoring at least one more KO, which I return in kind, before the inviting right wing means Elesium handing off to a beastman and going for it. Once again, I'm thankful for a blitzer's 7MA, as one gets across field and makes the hit, 2 turn stunning the beastman and leaving the ball on the sideline. Everyone across the pitch is tied up. Elesium bashes and gets a warrior free, who blitzes my blitzer down and makes the pickup, but he doesn't try to goforit to get off the line as he's used his reroll (probably the one time his single reroll harmed his game - it might have been helpful to get out of there...). He then gets a 3 dice block with his minotaur and (predictably?) gets 3 skulls, ending his turn early. My turn, I'm still fairly tied up, but I stand up my blitzer, run in with my free thrower, then dodge away with my catcher to make the push - one defender down and the warrior is off the pitch, with the ball thrown into the middle of my half. No-one near it, mind... I finish the catcher's move by making a single goforit to tie up a free beastman. He fails and we get a turnover. Elesium gets a chaos warrior over the ball, but his free beastman fails the pickup, moving the ball away from his warrior. I put pressure on the ball myself, tying up Elesium's other players once more. I get my blitzer to fly across and take out the beastman on the ball, which succeeds. A lineman then makes the pickup and moves left, out of harms way with Elesium's team fairly well covered.

And that's how the last 3 turns go, the lineman with his escort wandering up the left whilst some bashing continues centrefield. A swift 2 turn stun to the one chasing beastman puts me out of reach fairly quickly, and boths teams survive the bashing that follows, leaving me to walk it in on turn 16.

So another good match, very close right until the end. The turning point for me was making that 2 dice against block on the warrior (which had *I think* about a 1 in 4 chance of working, plus I had a reroll), that was critical to stopping Elesium getting back into the game, and forced him to have to move faster in the second half if he wanted the win.

It was a very bashy game, with honours even on the block dice, with maybe my blitzers' block helping them slightly, balanced out by the number of 1 dice blocks I had to make vs Elesium's 2 dice. Elesium's lone reroll held up fairly well, not being needed for a long time in the first half, but maybe slightly hampering him once used up in the second half. A messy melee scrum in the centre being the feature of both halves, play going on around it. A few claws or a more levelled chaos team might have edged that strategy and left me with a couple of casualties, but I managed to be just annoying enough without losing any players. KO's and player numbers were pretty identical all game.

My personal MVP was my lineman, who not only made the throw in the first half, but was the scorer in the second. He was closely followed by my catcher, Professor Zoom, who not only scored, but prevented that chaos warrior from getting a simple touchdown. Well played that man (i'll check out who he the lineman is so he can get named next time). No levels, but enough cash now to buy a spare player. I'm holding off to see what Javis' battered team looks like by game 3, I don't want to inflate my team and grant him some horrendous big guy inducement against me for my last game if i can help it...

Aaaand.... after the other game last night, it appears I've secured promotion already (:-D), so maybe I'll display more caution against Jarvis' Chaos. However, I'm reminded of the classic sports problem of 'not being 100% committed leading to injuries' so I don't think I'll ease off much :-). I continue to be pleased with the suvivability of my humans, who are proving satisfyingly robust (so far!), versatile, and difficult to play against. 'Annoyingly reliable' sums them up well at the moment. Let's see how they develop up against the higher echelons of the divisions....

Schaulustiger
13-06-2011, 12:51 PM
KayD: Great write-up! The two Blitzes were pretty disheartening, especially against your Skaven. It was still an entertaining game and completing that pass and the two subsequent GFIs to score at least one TD felt really great :)
I'm still new at Blood Bowl (and admittedly a bit rubbish), but every game I've played against you fine RPS chaps has been a blast. And some day, I might even win a game.

Screwie
13-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a hell of a game. Commiserations to Schaulustiger, but at least you scored and killed somebody :)

Congrats to KayD (and thanks for the write-up)!

Vexing Vision and myself have our Div F game planned for next weekend, so it will be a few days yet before we see how our division looks at the end of Day 2.

Vexing Vision
13-06-2011, 01:27 PM
^ That sounds like an awesome Lizardteam I'll try for again once my Amazons retire due to being dead. "The Louis Vuitton Purses".

Screwie, it's not entirely unlikely I'll catch you sometime earlier this week, but it'd be a spontaneous thing as I can't plan for a consecutive hour of spare interruption-free carnage-time before the weekend.

Screwie
13-06-2011, 01:34 PM
No worries VV. The middle of my week tends to clog up with other gaming commitments anyway. We'll see what happens :)

Machination
13-06-2011, 02:30 PM
To add to Machination's INEVITABLY AMAZING WRITEUP THAT HE WILL DO, I give you the top secret strategies that enabled me to secure a victory

This is pure gold. Jiim, there is no way to follow that act.

A few observations from the game:

On the kick off table, if Jiim is kicking, there is a 96.7689% probability it will be a Blitz!
When you look at Jiim's Saursus(es) do not be deceived. Though you may think there is no way he will go for a dodge with AG2, Jiiim is no ordinary mortal. Your face will meet your palm if you DON'T BOTHER TO GO FOR IT BECAUSE WHO DODGES WITH SAURUS ANYWAY.
If a ghoul needs to pick up the ball, expect him to chase it around his feet for a few turns. This is his way of taunting the opposition. Don't worry if a skink steals the ball - thats all part of the show.
Failed dodge rolls equal dead skinks. Multiple two dice blocks equal laughing skinks.
Once 'Train' gets the ball and starts moving, it is exceedingly hard to stop.
Don't assume because you have set a virtual minefield ringed with spikes and lava pits (http://imageshack.us/f/594/goalline.jpg/) that a skink will not magically dance through your death gauntlet like a blissfully unaware butterfly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udq6NC-wZTk).

Excellent game Jiiim. This is a lizard team to watch.

Buck Troll, coach of the Slay City Slayers, sayz
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/417/boblj.jpg

"That was a great exhibition of complete incompetence. The whole lot of you could be replaced by freeze dried roadkill."

Alistair Hutton
13-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Totally living vicariously through GroovyChaisaw at the moment. Keep up the good Human work, I might be getting home internet back today - if so I will be reapplying for next season. Anyony want to remind me of what I need to do to do so.

President Weasel
13-06-2011, 03:08 PM
You need to put your name and preferred team on the spreadsheet and mention here that you want to be part of next season (and then mention it again closer to the end of the season, and keep your eye on the thread come season end, so you know what division to join, and whether your preferred team is available or has been snatched by a rebooting player from higher up the Divisions).
I think that's covered everything.

alh_p
13-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Groovy, I'm under the impresion that 2 dice against blitz with your wrestle catcher was good odds, with or without a reroll. That is, assuming the warrior didn't have block. Wrestle has the same % of success as block vs no block, which, on a dice blitz is about 75% if i remember rightly. The BB "art of blocking" spreadsheet also informs me that your player had a 30.6% chance of being knocked down.

Not such a risky move - but a very timely application of your catcher's skill.

That's the problem with Chaos (here's me now playing the sympathy card), even with St4 vs St3 -if the defender has block/wrestle, you only have a 56% chance to succeed in knocking the defender down. Not half as menacing now are they.

Rakysh
13-06-2011, 04:47 PM
If they have blodge, you're basically stuffed.

Indefatigible Snoozer
13-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Div D - Xercies vs Unitled: You guys played yet? Had a quick scan through and didn't see any results? Does the day roll on if they don't play? Going to be a pretty boring Division if they're both MIA.

groovychainsaw
13-06-2011, 05:14 PM
@Al - I *think* I was trying to work out, with 2 dice against, what the odds were of one of them coming up push or skull, both of which would have ruined my plan (it wouldn't have been difficult to blitz through my catcher the following turn with his warrior). With wrestle helping me, half the die is good for me (ball carrier knocked down on trip, hit and both down), half the dice bad (not knocked down). With 2 dice against, I effectively need both dice to roll 4+ for a result. Which is 1 in 4, i think. (If you think of a grid, with 1-6 on both axes, then basically im in the top right quadrant, where everything is greater than 4). I had few options at the time, so definitely made sense to me, particularly with the reroll.

@Rakysh - my catcher has dodge and wrestle, to try and keep him alive for as long as possible, and to be as annoying as possible ;-)

@EVERYONE - Just a reminder that 'day 1' of the divisions ends tomorrow (although a few of us have been moving divisions on that are finished and are playing early). If you're not settled by tomorrow night, make your excuses soon or we'll have to start defaulting matches... Also remember to add your scores to the sheet if you haven't already, as that helps us know which games have been played and which haven't...

President Weasel
13-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm playing Zoraster in the second week of Div B at 1900 tomorrow, so if you could ensure DivB is in week 2 before that it would be extremely helpful! It may already have happened, as both games are already played.

Vexing Vision
13-06-2011, 05:34 PM
A genuine question: Why would you want to put Wrestle instead of Block on your Catcher, assuming that you need Wrestle to survive that usual one turn after getting the ball and scoring the Touchdown. (Yeah, I know you can position catchers differently or aim for the pass-TD scenario, but for me, I usually need one more turn if I want to play it safe.)
Wrestle causes you to lose the ball too, after all - so I'm curious about the reason!

Screwie
13-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I might do that for a gutter runner, wardancer or any other catcher which might conceivably also be fielded as a blitzer.

Though actually, if they blitz your ball-carrying catcher with a lone blitzer (relying on ST advantage for a 2d block), you could wrestle them to the ground, stand up unharmed and with no tackle zones around you, pick up the ball and run... but then (and assuming if you didn't take Wrestle, you'd take Block) you're swapping a dodge roll for a pick up roll...

Hmm. Now I'm curious too.

Jiiiiim
13-06-2011, 06:07 PM
wrestle/dodge/tackle and high agility and movement is the most reliable way to break a cage, and catchers/gutters/wardancers fall under that category. Don't make a wrestler your primary ball carrier but I don't feel like catchers are really strong enough to be primary ball carriers, they're about nabbing quick scores and otherwise being where you need to be.

Vexing Vision
13-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, agreed on anything I might use as Blitzer. Personally, I think I'll stick with Blodgers instead of... errr.. Wrodgers? for defensiveness.

We'll see how that plays out though. :)

President Weasel
13-06-2011, 06:36 PM
you can build catchers and gutter runners for scoring, if you like, but they can do that already out of the box. They shouldn't be getting hit with the ball anyway; ideally they'd be catching or being handed the ball within go for it or preferably normal movement range of the line, and running it in for the score in the same turn, or you could have them goalside of the scrum if the opponent has no safety, receiving the ball and running out of danger. Wrestle prevents them getting hurt in open play just as well as block (unless the opponent wants to risk a sending off and turnover to foul your prone player).

Since you're generally talking about the fastest or joint-fastest players on your team, and the ones that come with dodge, and the ones that are likely to get SPP fairly quickly, it makes sense to specialise some of them for defensive purposes, hence wrestle (and probably dauntless for their next skill). They're the ones most likely to be able to reach that one blodging ball carrier who is nearly safe, and you want to give them a good chance of success when they arrive.

Jarvis
13-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm holding off to see what Javis' battered team looks like by game 3, I don't want to inflate my team and grant him some horrendous big guy inducement against me for my last game if i can help it...

I've got 4 dead beastmen and no skillups (though 4 have 5 sp and another has 3)

unitled
13-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Pres, I completely agree. On a WElf or Skaven team, which I've got the most experience with, a Catcher or a Gutter runner is always going to be able to score even without any skills. Hence, I often build them up as blitzers or assisters; guard on a catcher is brilliant, they can get just about anywhere, even inside cages, for the crucial +1 ST.

Incidentally, just played Xercies' Space Elves and won 3-0... Was a close match, and a complete shambles of a first half, but Xercies had a couple of bad rolls at really unfortunate times which meant I managed to run in a couple of defensive TDs. Good game!

NieA7
13-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Just played a tight 1-1 draw with Low-Key's Undead, I'll write it up in a bit (despite the magnificence of the lizard playbook).

DarkFenix
13-06-2011, 11:30 PM
And the second clash between Dead Rodents Walking and The Tiny Dancers ends 5-3 to the rats. HughTower and I's match several seasons ago was a scoring bonanza, this time was no different. 350k in inducements saw HughTower receive a Bloodweiser Babe and Jordell Freshbreeze (a f***ing 5ag wardancer).

HughTower elected to receive first and thankfully the ridiculously sunny weather immediately changed to 'fine' at first kickoff. I had little expectation of being able to stop the elves scoring, just like last time, and I was swiftly proven correct. The absurd agility and ball skills of the elves swiftly broke my lines and scored a few turns in. 0-1.

But just as I've never had much luck stopping HughTower scoring, he's never had any joy in stopping me either. My GR promptly runs in a textbook one turn touchdown on my opening turn. 1-1.

The third drive was always going to be bloody, and sure enough the casualties start to appear. My star thrower promptly gets taken down badly hurt, shortly followed by Fluffy (my rat ogre for those who don't know) maiming the wardancer in similar fashion. The wardancer gets back up, HughTower deciding to keeping 3 wardancers on field is of greater import than an apothecary, my thrower is simply dismissed as one of the usual casualties of a match. But now Nuffle decides to start screwing with Hugh and causes a fumble in the rear. True to Skaven form, I promptly swarm around the former carrier, keeping elves away as best I can. Sure enough, in turn 7 Jordell Freshbreeze screws up a leap, giving me the opening I need to break a ball carrier free to score. 2-1.

I make the mistake of underestimating Nuffle at this point, something we've all done and regretted. It's HughTower's last turn of the half, he has no one-turners. So I adopt a safety formation, planting my players right up against my own touchline. The kickoff promptly brings a riot, having the ref move the clock back a turn. Shit. Now I'm completely out of formation and the elves can move forward at their leisure. A veritable army of tree-huggers moves towards my almost non-existent defence, and in spite of my best efforts to form an in-depth wall of tackle zones, that bloody Jordell Freshbreeze leaps clear (vindicating himself for his earlier cock-up) and runs home the equaliser. 2-2.

Still, HughTower received, giving me the half's last laugh. As the only race particularly capable of using this opportunity, I felt it would be rude to pass it up. My one turner ran in a last minute touchdown, preserving my lead at the half's end. 3-2.

The second half began as the first ended, with a riot. This time the clock moved forward a turn, making the whole half a fast and furious affair. Too much so apparently for my Rat Ogre to take, failing a critical wild animal roll, which coupled with my placement mistakes made a one turn touchdown an impossibility (and my coveted two goal lead a more tricky prospect). Misery loves company, and that same turn I also burned a reroll on a 2+ pickup (something which became a pattern for me that half) then my thrower promptly screwed up his pass. Bugger. Things went from bad to worse when next turn HughTower was able to penetrate my lines and get a throw back to his own players, also taking out both of my Stormvermin (one badly hurt, one just unconscious but I never got it back). My best efforts to retrieve the ball (a wrestling GR managed to get the ball free next turn) HughTower managed to retain possession long enough for Jordell 'Utter Bastard' Freshbreeze to break through and score again. 3-3.

I'm annoyed at this point. I should be 4-2 up, instead it's level at 3-3. Still, it's my drive again and the game has taken to giving me rerolls. Maybe this time my team can not completely muck up an easy one turn touchdown. Yes, yes they can. 4-3.

3 turns each to go, I know HughTower could end the game with his touchdown, denying me any one-turn retaliatory asshattery. I pray to Nuffle. Turns out, fickle as he is, Nuffle was listening this once. An ill-planned turn from HughTower saw a thrower burn a reroll on the pickup then pass to the other thrower, who promptly fumbled it. Again I seize any opportunity I can get and swarm the ball and any players that might move to support players near it. Two turns left, victory is in sight, I know HughTower doesn't have many players he can get within range of scoring while I have plenty who can mark, all I have to do is mark up some and flatten the others. In the end it was Nuffle and not me that decided the result, the first intended ball-recipient failed a dodge and caused a premature turnover, ending the elves' hopes of a draw there and then. Given my early aggression, I had multiple players in place to score and it only took a few easy rolls to get one last bonus touchdown. 5-3.

Very well played HughTower. I think we both made some nasty mistakes that match, mine just ended up not being so costly. It was quite scary how similarly the match played to our last encounter, albeit with larger more scary teams this time. Best of luck in your other matches and I look forward to our next match (that last bit is technically what we call a lie, playing you is stressful and my blood pressure would love never to see you again ;) ).

Incidentally, all fixtures to date validated.

PS. Ugh, rolled 50k on winnings, rerolled down to 40k. Winnings bug wound up giving me 20k. Also rather amusingly I now have a 5AV linerat (also with a niggling injury). Expect to see him on a line of scrimmage near you.

ntw
14-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Only 2 matches remaining to be played to end "Day 1" :
DivA - Duffin vs alh_p
DivC - sinister agent vs combat
All other Divs have been rolled onto "Day 2"

LowKey
14-06-2011, 01:16 AM
A heavy slog between my Undead and NieA7ís Necros resulted in a 1-1 draw. The majority of the game revolved around large punch up in the off-centre of the pitch with the 6 zombies on the LOS generally just hanging out in the middle. Most of my game was pretty uninspiring, with a cheeky breakaway for my TD and getting frustrated with the flesh golems who proved a major impediment with their standfirm (bu dum dum tish), NieA7 played a more attractive game scoring his TD by drawing in my defence before playing a nice hand off down the centre.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Overall a fun game that got a bit confusing as the majority of the players being both the same type and wearing similar colours, next time ill choose electric pink. <o:p></o:p>

Kelron
14-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah, agreed on anything I might use as Blitzer. Personally, I think I'll stick with Blodgers instead of... errr.. Wrodgers? for defensiveness.

We'll see how that plays out though. :)

Wrestle has some use as a defensive skill, mainly on faster low AV players - if you get blitzed you can get back up again before your opponent can, leaving them with a player on the floor for the next turn. You also don't risk an injury on your own player, although taking the chance to gain a turnover might be better if your opponent doesn't have block.

Wrestle and strip ball is also the most effective combo for getting the ball out of enemy hands, anything except an attacker down makes them drop the ball (barring sure hands), and it has a reasonable chance of working even on a 2-against block. Lots of teams have access to 4 catcher/runner types, but there's rarely any need to build them all into scorers. Making 2 into blitzers or cage breakers adds flexibility to your team, and their base stats and skills generally mean they can still score if necessary.

unitled
14-06-2011, 08:03 AM
One of the problems with building players as dedicated scorers is that it skews the development of your team. You end up with two or three players with all the SPPs and relatively unskilled other players. And, as we ALL know, blood bowl players don't have a particularly long life expectancy; your dedicated scorer WILL die!

Eventually, most ball carriers will have blodge and safe hands so wrackle vastly increases your chance at getting the ball carrier down and knocking vthe ball loose.

Screwie
14-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Interesting stuff. So basically, my personal definition of "catchers that can be used as blitzers" needs broadening quite a bit.

President Weasel
14-06-2011, 09:25 AM
To expand on something Kelron said, it's definitely worth going into options and unticking "use automatically" for wrestle. There may well be an occasion when your opponent's non-block-having player gets attacker down/both down on the first or second block of his turn, and you want the option to take the hit and generate the turnover.

Screwie
14-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah, I've done that Wrestle turnover trick before. :)

I was also pleasantly surprised after unchecking "use automatically" for Diving Tackle. When it asks if you want to use it, the game actually tells you the dice result before you choose - so you know whether or not DT will work before you commit.

EDIT: This probably happens for other skills too, but I've never had cause to turn a skill like Accurate off so it came as a bit of a surprise...

alh_p
14-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Only 2 matches remaining to be played to end "Day 1" :
DivA - Duffin vs alh_p
DivC - sinister agent vs combat
All other Divs have been rolled onto "Day 2"

Duffin and I were scheduled to play our match this evening, due to something coming up, I was hoping to postpone till Wednesday. Would the other denizens of Division A and our mod overlords object to a 24hr extension? (pretty please)

DarkFenix
14-06-2011, 11:49 AM
unitled: Too true, my GR's are on ridiculously high SPP compared to the rest of my team. My one-turner just hit 71 SPP last game, I have another on 47 and one on 38. The only other player coming even close is my primary thrower with 33. It often simply isn't very easy to get other players to score, generally the game has too much at stake and against other speedy teams it's very risky.

unitled
14-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Pres: that's really good advice. Especially worth bearing in mind against big guys who are often difficult to actually stand up! It's also worth turning pro off automatic as there are situations where a team reroll is better.

Fenix: that's a major problem with Skaven teams... linerats are really fragile so the temptation is always to stick with the safe scores. Of course makes it all the more heart breaking when one of them dies.

groovychainsaw
14-06-2011, 05:13 PM
As others have said, the plan with my catcher is never to be tackled with the ball (he's not a good ball carrier with str2!), only to catch it and run it in for a TD on the same turn. So wrestle is a good defensive, messing with any blocking safeties, combining well with dodge, preventing injuries (unless my opponent goes for a foul) and still leaving me with 5MA on the following turn with the blitzing player on the floor (and usually, less movement to come and get me). AND I get to use him as a safety myself, running around deep in my own half, used to great effect in my last game. I might build some of my other catchers differently (I'll get up to 4 eventually!), but with only one in my team, I wanted to start with some survivability for him.

unitled
14-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Isn't the problem then that someone blitzes/blocks your catcher the turn before you need them though? You can't stand up, catch, then run in the ball. Even low ST players can be good carriers with the right skills (safe hands, blodge, fend, etc.), especially as you'll usually have players standing near them for the assists (or cancelling out opposing assists).

President Weasel
14-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Silent, but Deadly (President Weasel, Dark Elves, childish fart/assassin pun) 2 - 2 Rats of Westminster (Zoraster, Skaven, British politician team names)

I kicked off.
Zoraster scored quickly (after Iron Quinns fell over going for it in the snow. With a reroll)
I lost a player (Mathrel, -1ag +1mv lineman) to a dead result in turn 2. I apoced him to BH. Zoraster thought I was tempting fate using my apoc on a lineman with a stat injury, but I didn't think my chances were that bad.
I lost a player (Tantil, my level 3 runner with dodge and nerves of steel on top of dump off) to a dead result in turn 4.
I scored pretty quickly for 1-1.
The kickoff result was a pitch invasion that left most of the rats and maybe 4 elves standing.
Iron Quinns screwed up an "anything but a 1" leap which would have given him a 2 dicer on Zoraster's ball carrier.
Zoraster wasn't in a good position to stall so scored quickly for 2-1.
Iron Quinns screwed up an "anything but a 1" leap AGAIN which would have put him in the backfield as a scoring option. Zoraster covered the other blitzer I had in postion, and the half ended 2-1.
My assassin had utterly failed to achieve anything all half despite the crappy armour of the rats. He'd also failed to shadow anyone, but given the gutter runners' superior movement that was less of a surprise. I'd managed to use up Zoraster's apoc changing a fractured skull to a MNG, but at the end of the half I watched Zoraster's two KO'd rats leap back up while my dead star player stayed very, very dead. I was losing the match.

I got in a right grumpy mood because of the dice and Iron Quinns's continual shameless treachery and Dark Trevor McSinister's failure to pull off a single great cleave despite being presented with a bag of rats (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_of_rats). Wait, that's fighters.
The dark elves seemed to pick up my mood, and got nasty.

The second half was basically my team moving the ball slowly up the pitch and hurting (and occasionally surfing) rat men. The ball was loose a couple of times, but Zoraster was out of rerolls and I had enough of a numbers advantage to clear the rats away and pick up again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/chompmancobra/deadrats-1.jpg

Iron Quinns took a look at my face and decided it would be a good idea not to fail the 2+ pickup in turn 15, and he trundled home in turn 16 to tie the score. Zoraster didn't have a one-turner, the kickoff result was a rock to the face of Mathrel, and the game ended 2-2.

Rakysh
14-06-2011, 09:11 PM
That's pretty brutal. Poor rats.

President Weasel
14-06-2011, 09:25 PM
They deserved it.

My only regret is that I never got to kill mrs Thatcher.

(all together now..... AND IN THE GAME!)

Zoraster
14-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Further to Weasel’s summary a good match that swung on one major second half moment. Gordon Brown failed a pick-up in the open (admittedly in the rain, but he hit the one so it didn’t make any difference) which would have let him walk in the defensive score and earn the 3-1 lead and near certain victory.

If Rats had edged the fortune in the first half it swung against them big time after the break. In total 16 ones from 59 D6 rolls crippled Rats defence as a succession of failed AG4 dodges, pick-ups and catches meant the Deadly advance was spluttering but ultimately successful. It was enough to guarantee the draw though, and leave the chance of a turn 16 one turner. However Weasel provided an awkward set up that would force at least one dodge to blitz in the right direction, and only having 9 players meant I couldn’t waste actions clearing the middle man off the LoS. Moreover the elf kicker was still in action so I had to keep more players back to receive than I really wanted. In the end I made a last minute choice to make the dodge and blitz with my spare Gutter, but I had taken too long and only managed to move the lino off the los before time ran out... total cock up and made the one turner even more unlikely. However in keeping with my day the gutter snake eyed the dodge, so it would all have come to nought anyway.

So still unbeaten, but promotion chances are gone. With so many key skills taken out ahead of the Dwarf encounter and the Dwarfs having the security of AG4 ball handling I’ll be very happy just to escape the drop. A Storm Vermin will be on the sidelines for this one and a wrestle lino got killed along with Gordon Brown, the Blodge Sidestepper with butter fingers who totally deserved to die after costing Rats the easy win.

Rakysh
14-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I do fear for a skaven team sans a StormVermin and a gutter runner vs dorfs. Good luck.

President Weasel
14-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Actually, Pier could beat Nullkigan and lose to you, leaving him on 3 points and you on 5. If Nullks then beats me that would leave him and me on 4 points and you promoted.
Promotion chances are unlikely, I'll grant you, but they're not mathematically impossible - and dwarfs are amazon kryptonite.

Zoraster
14-06-2011, 10:02 PM
You are rather skipping over the tricky part of that equation :)

Zoraster
14-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Isn't the problem then that someone blitzes/blocks your catcher the turn before you need them though? You can't stand up, catch, then run in the ball. Even low ST players can be good carriers with the right skills (safe hands, blodge, fend, etc.), especially as you'll usually have players standing near them for the assists (or cancelling out opposing assists).

You're not going to be giving the ball to an AG3 player in a TZ anyway though, so Block makes zero difference in this respect. Instead Wrestle then forces another defender to mark the prone catcher, helping create space elsewhere.

groovychainsaw
14-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Some excellent match reports up there chaps, most enjoyable, I do enjoy living out other people's good (and bad) dice rolls :-).

Ok, last bit of admin for now - week 1 is UP!
As NTW said earlier, all divs are moved on apart from DivA waiting on Duffin vs alh_p (and if you guys are playing tomorrow, thats fine by me) and DivC waiting on sinister agent vs combat (who are able to get together on thursday, so unless the other chaps in C have any objections, I'm happy for them to get their game in on thurs rather than default).

I'm off on holidays tomorrow for a week so I'll rely on my admins to keep up with the games and division stuff. If there's any issues/extensions/defaults to be sorted, final word rests with ntw for now (cheers ntw! No coup d'etats whilst I'm away, ok? You know what happened to the last guy who tried that. He's not biologically a guy any more, for one). I MAY have wifi where I'm going, but I also may want to switch everything off, too, so if you don't hear from me I'm probably enjoying myself (in a non-blood bowl manner! Shocking!) ;-).

unitled
14-06-2011, 10:56 PM
You're not going to be giving the ball to an AG3 player in a TZ anyway though, so Block makes zero difference in this respect. Instead Wrestle then forces another defender to mark the prone catcher, helping create space elsewhere.

True. Though, at least having block rather than wrestle on a receiver give the potential to blitz away the marking player and have a useful receiver in a position to catch and score if needs be; no help if you're double marked, but then you're at a player advantage, and the skill has proved useful anyway.

I guess I was debating the wisdom of wrestle on a carrier rather than a receiver; as in, the player you would put sure hands on, and pass the ball to to keep it safe until your other players are in position to put your play together. Though I think wrestle is a bit of an under-appreciated skill, it's not always the best choice.

EDIT: That said, what GC was talking about was having a defensive catcher with Wrestle, something I think is a really good idea (attempting to go wrackle -> dauntless -> side step on one of mine to make a useful safety that can score on offense in a pinch!)

DarkFenix
14-06-2011, 10:58 PM
A hectic two day run sees Dead Rodents Walking emerge with two wins, the second a 3-2 win over the Lyran Common-Elf.

Dragon's 400k in inducements were spent on a wizard, bloodweiser babe, bribe and a wandering apothecary.

I opted to receive first and ran in the predictable one turn touchdown. 1-0.

The rest of the half was a messy single-drive affair. My defence was working quite well, in spite of my secondary thrower going off badly hurt, I succeeded in taking one line elf off injured (niggling injury rerolled to MNG), putting both elven blitzers off unconscious and swarming the ball carrier, eventually grabbing it in a scrum of rats. Turns out, wizards really like a scrum of low AV players. A fireball into the middle of the scrum saw my kicker dead (no apothecary for linerats, just a kick in the head to check if they're still alive), two more of my players unconscious and Dragon's kicker badly injured. My frantic defence after this deus ex machina ultimately failed, with Dragon scoring in turn 8 ensuring no one-turn retaliation. 1-1.

The second half starts off looking quite good for me. In spite of casualties sustained, I can still field 11 players while Dragon is stuck with 9. Nuffle apparently isn't fond of the maths here and begins screwing with my team's armour rolls, putting players down stunned, unconscious or injured one after another. Again in spite of my team's valiant efforts, Dragon scored mid-way through the half. 1-2.

Now the pressure is on, but I know I can score a quick equaliser. Or can I? I knew my one-turner had to fail sometime, he chose now to do it of all times. He rolls snake eyes on his first GFI and falls flat. This wouldn't have been a problem, but Dragon has a bloody +2MA thrower that promptly ran back, scooped up the ball and passed it away to the safety of a cage. A turn or so later I was in a good position to bludgeon my Rat Ogre through to the carrier, but of course he rolls AD/AD and fails to reroll. I think my moaning hit critical mass at this point and Nuffle just threw in the towel (seems to be a pattern in my games, the dice hate me but eventually Nuffle can't stand my whining anymore and lets things go my way in the closing turns), because my rolls suddenly started going right almost every time. A series of lucky blocks (I say lucky, they were actually just 2d blocks going to plan mostly) put the ball as clear as it was going to get and a GR managed to make a series of dodges, scoop the ball out of 2 TZ's and hand off to my one turner (who was still hovering near the endzone). 2-2.

I figured 2-2 as being the end result, 3 turns to go and I'm unlikely to get possession. What to do? Well; play like a skaven, take stupidly aggressive risks and hope for the best. Nuffle was apparently still resignedly letting me have my way, because my RO managed to dodge into 3 tackle zones (I love you break tackle) and make 2 GFI's to plant himself squarely next to the ball carrier (he would have flattened the ball carrier, but sadly the block dice didn't go my way). The rest of my team promptly swarms around the scrum, trying desperately to deny any assists attacking the RO. This didn't quite work out, next turn my RO got floored, but then Dragon's lack of rerolls in a reroll-burning game tripped him at the last hurdle. An easy but important block (1d with block) rolled AD and caused a turnover before the ball carrier had moved away from my RO and with most of my players still standing in base contact with his. Next turn my RO gets back up, blitzes, and this time properly knocks the ball carrier flat. The ball lands in a few tackle zones, but I have enough players to 2d block all but one of the defenders around it. One of my GR's manages to nip in and grab the ball, extracting it and handing off to my one turner. He's out of scoring range, but Dragon has no players within movement range (GFI's inclusive) of the opposite sideline. My one-turner dashes across the pitch out of range of any defenders and my remaining players try to stop the only remotely threatening player (one blitzer who could force some risky dodging) from getting near. My limited precautions pay off next turn, the blitzer failing an easy dodge and giving my GR a clear run at the endzone for a turn 16 touchdown. 3-2.

Well played Dragon, a very nicely levelled team you have there, remarkably evenly experienced so leaving little in the way of weak links. In the end that skaven luck-play simply paid off, finally breaking through the fragile elven cages and outrunning the fairly slow high elves to take a very narrow victory. Best of luck in future.

President Weasel
14-06-2011, 11:02 PM
The lineman I used my apoc to save today got enough points to get level 3 and is now a +1 move/wrestle ag3 lineman who should make a decent safety. He'd also been with the team for 16 games, since they started in the divisions, so I would have been sad to lose him.

Sadly, the guy who died was already level 3, had also been with us from the start, and looking at the hall of fame he had the most completions in the Division (8), the most interceptions (with 1 where everyone else had zero, thanks to nerves of steel in a crowd), was the best runner on my team and the third best in the Division with 204 yards, was the best thrower on my team and the third best in the division with 40 yards, and was the second best receiver on my team and the third best in the Division, with 4. He even showed up in the list of "best killers" (with zero, but he was there on the list).

He'll be missed.

And (segueing nicely) so will you be, Groovy! I hope you have a lovely holiday.

NieA7
15-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Welcome to Tooth and Claw, the discerning Necromancer's almanac of choice. Blood Bowl has long been a hot topic of discussion amongst our readership, many of whom are keen members of the NBC. Inspired by this we have decided to sponsor a fresh Necromantic team through their first seasons (though more in a "use this name or else" sense rather than anything contractual or legal). We'll be reporting on their progress, and just to spice things up a little we'll also be throwing a few obstacles in their way to test their mettle.

The first match up was against an Undead team named "The Easy Dead", a excellent chance to kick things off on a level playing field. A number of interesting phenomena were observed.

Early on in the game we successfully substituted one of the robust Blood Bowl zombies on Tooth and Claw with an experimental zombie goblin. Our suspicions as to how it would perform were swiftly confirmed as it was immediately reduced to its component parts by a stern look from a mummy.
Zombie intelligence may actually be collective in some respects. In both halves zombies from either side squared off on the line of scrimmage, only to start animatedly discussing philosophy and the nature of unbeing at the kick off. While the level of debate was excellent it did rather distract them from taking any meaningful part in the game.
Mummies are usually angry. Very angry. Without the natural resilience of the average zombie and wight this sponsorship feature could have come to a rather abrupt end.
Whilst excellent in most respects the undead are not natural athletes. Both sides frequently failed to complete the more complicated tasks asked of them by their coaches, including such fiendishly difficult trials as "picking up the ball", "giving the ball to someone else", "trying to pick the ball up again", "not falling over in a gently breeze" and "no, seriously, just pick up the damn ball". Despite this The Easy Dead successfully completed an agile jog down the side of the pitch to score late on in the first half.
While zombie intelligence may be gestalt, flesh golem stupidity appears to be immutable. The mummies in particular spent much of their time attempting to push them around, despite the golem's often being too dim to realise they'd been hit.
Never underestimate the power of running away. Tried of being remorselessly pounded on by mummies Tooth and Claw managed to score an accidental touchdown early on in the second half while simply trying to escape.
After being knocked out during the first half Tooth and Claw's only wolf (Potchi) managed to follow the simple instruction "kick the ball wherever you like so long as it doesn't fall in the middle of that horrible cage with mummies and ghouls and wights" in all but one respect.
Potchi's doggy hearing lead to a half of increasingly desperate defence from Tooth and Claw (and increasingly dramatic oratory from the zombie debating committee, still unconcerned by the simple ball game going on around them) as The Easy Dead slowly forced their way towards the end zone. Fortunately a combination of dodging flesh golem and blitzing wight finally forced the ball free, after which the aforementioned athletic issues ensured nobody regained possession.

1-1 at the closing whistle, a fitting score for a closely fought match. Join us next issue as we try to settle that perennial question - just what makes a Necromantic team, the golems or the wolves?

Gorm
15-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Managed a 1-1 draw vs Maromjets Norse.
The first TD went to the Norse with a grind all the way down the pitch to the end zone that lasted about 6 turns of the first half. The Ladykillers came back strong and managed to throw the ball to a vamp in the end zone, which was actually plan B but since plan A was throw it to a Thrall i thought better of it once the norse beat the Thrall up.
The normal mini game of hurt the thrall continued in this game, but the crowd decided not to get involved this time. Sadly most of the thralls only got KO'd and so were back on the pitch too soon.
Started the 2nd half with a kick to my Vamps and a few players ran through some gaps and then next turn were surrounded and beaten to the ground, so the vamps went for a cage up one side of the pitch. Which then lead to a lost ball and the norse running in a touch down with only 3 squares to go.
Being so close to losing the Vamps had to really concentrate and managed not to eat any thralls for a few turns, and even pulled off a Hypnotic gaze so a thrall could run after the ball carrier with no dodge rolls. The plan was, hit the ball carrier with the thrall hope he gets knocked over pick the ball up with a Vamp and throw it waaaaaaaaayyyyyy down field to a thrall who would then hand off to a Vamp who would run it in.
Surprisingly this plan didnt work, infact it didnt even get past step one. So the Thrall was just left standing next to a Berserker three squares away from his own end zone. The Vamp that was meant to be picking up the ball that wasnt in the floor was pretty confused so he just ran next to the Berserker to ask why he still had the ball.
Next thing you know the Berserker tries to hit the Thrall and to the surprise of everyone, especially the Thrall the Berserker goes down. Ending the game.

DarkFenix
15-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Validated.

I'm strongly considering retiring my Skaven (from the DoD anyway, they'll promptly reappear in the challenge league if so) at the close of this season, even more so if I win (which potentially becomes a certainty depending on the championship's other day 2 fixture). The spark seems to have gone somewhat from my rats, and I've now hit 30k spiralling expenses with little sign of that decreasing.

Of course the problem is it's a really bad time to switch, with the only decent available races being ones that play the same way. I guess I could try Elves next season for a change to the passing game. What I'm really pining for is a Chaos slot to open up, I'd be all over that; a nice slow-burning bashy team, full mutation access, a great overall roster.

President Weasel
15-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I hope to be above you in the league if that ever happens; I wish I'd never swapped away from Chaos, and I lost out on the last slot by virtue of league position.

DarkFenix
15-06-2011, 11:45 AM
In which case I should certainly hang onto my Skaven until my desired swap comes along. If I swap from my winning team now I may well never get my desired team :P

Now all I need is a plot to murder one (or more) of the current Chaos players.

alh_p
15-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Now all I need is a plot to murder one (or more) of the current Chaos players.

Pah. Scheming Skaven is that? You're simply not worthy of the dark gods' favour!

alh_p
15-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Speaking of dark gods' favour, neither Duff's Waagh or Khorne's favour were strong enough to ensure either our teams getting a real edge. The first half was undeniably the Orcs as they injured three beastmen in the process of scoring a distinctly elfy TD in turn 5 (i think). An abortive attempt to level the scores by my Chaos was nipped in the bud by a resolute Orc defense.

I admit to being quite downhearted (grumpy, recriminatory and childish) at this point. Outnumbered and out block'ed I was wondering how i would find a gap through which to fire a beastmen. Regardless, having no choice but all out assault my mino got well stuck in, with perhaps rather reckless gusto. Over the course of about 6 turns i managed to injure 2 of the orcs as the melee spread out accross Duff's half. Meanwhile, my ball carrier who had been hanging back got blitzed and the ball rolled loose. Duffin ran a blitzer in from wide to cover the ball, risking one GFI too many and giving my carrier space to get back up. The ball recovered, my beasty managed to run round the wing with a CW protecting him from the closest BO in range. The conclusive evidence that Nuffle favoured me for the 2nd half came when Duff's BO attemoted to blitz the CW -presumably to get in tackle range of the ball carrier. The unlucky BO rolled a skull and went down with a fractured skull, apo'd to BH.

The game ended 1-1, I'd hope Duffin would agree it was a fair reflection but he might well have expected to be able to stall my under-manned drive. Then again, he did keep punching my mino so cursory sympathy will have to do... ;)

And thanks again for the forebearance of our dear and omniscient mods, who granted us an extension to play the game.

duff
15-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeh good game. Orcs hit beastmen, beastmen hit orcs. 1-0. Beastmen hit orcs, orcs hit beastmen. 2-0.

Well played alh_p, I look forward to our next grudge match. I'm scheming already.

McDan
15-06-2011, 08:52 PM
So can we still join in this glorious whatever-this-is?

President Weasel
15-06-2011, 08:54 PM
yes, but we're in the middle of the season right now. two weeks or therabouts til the new one kicks off.

Check the fist post to find the link to the spreadsheet, check the rules section of the spreadsheet to see how to join (pretty sure it's a case of "add your name to the spreadsheet"), and then wait a couple of weeks til the season ends and it's time for the next one.
I wouldn't recommend choosing a race yet, since you won't know what's available until closer to the time.

mrpier
15-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Nullkigan and I played our match tonight, Longus Barba(Dwa) vs Powgirls(Ama), it's a matchup that some have suggested favours the dwarfs and the result of this match would suggest they are right.

Nullkigans 'zons started off with receiving the ball, which suited me fine as I could attempt the usual 2-1 grind. The amazons started attacking in a wide line, looking for weaknesses in my defense, but wary of committing too many girls in direct contact with my own players. Thanks to having more guard I wasn't too afraid to leave my dwarfs strung out on a line with the runners acting as safeties. After a little back and forth with noone really gaining the advantage Nullkigan saw an opening on my right and got the ballcarrier to within two or three squares of my endzone, however he only had one amazon with as support. I got one of my runners in as an assist and the other blitzed the ballcarrier and picked up the ball. After a bit more shuffling and a failed one die blitz (BD without a reroll I think?) I managed to give the ball to a blitzer who with good use of GFI's could score in two turns. At this time most of the amazons was in my half and fairly well covered by my dwarfs. Last turn and Nullkigan had a chance to stop me from scoring with a one die blitz and two GFI's, luckily for me he has to burn the reroll on a GFI and the die shows attacker down. 1-0 to my dwarfs and the first time I think they have managed to hold off the other team from scoring in the first half.

Second half I receive the ball and bring on the deathroller, since I'm in the lead I can play a calm/boring game where I bunch up in the middle of the field with the ballcarrier in the middle, I know that with all the guard/tackle and the deathroller on the team I should (in theory!!) win the scrum. Nullkigan makes an attempt but about halfway in the round he abandons most of the right side of the field and gathers 6-7 zons around a lonely troll slayer, leaving me to have a somewhat leisurely stroll down his left side with my ballcarrier. My troll slayer gets fouled repeatedly, but he only gets stunned. My dwarfs, looking on in disgust, decides to show them how it's done, and fouls one of theirs to a badly hurt (or crushed hand?), and the deathroller BH one of the gangfoulers.

Turn fifteen I decide my masochistic troll slayer has had enough fun and walks the ball in, 2-0. There's a riot on the last kickoff and the zons finally manage to take one of the dwarfs out, MNG.

Thanks for the game Nullkigan, your girls fought bravely :)

alh_p
15-06-2011, 09:01 PM
yes, but we're in the middle of the season right now. two weeks or therabouts til the new one kicks off.

You're truly tireless Pres.

Nullkigan
15-06-2011, 09:27 PM
With no way to actually stop your wall of short beef, I had to try for the risk run. I admit I miscalculated the speed of the runners, and a turn-over from a GFI prevented me from setting up the screen I really needed.

Last turn and Nullkigan had a chance to stop me from scoring with a one die blitz and two GFI's, luckily for me he has to burn the reroll on a GFI and the die shows attacker down. 1-0 to my dwarfs and the first time I think they have managed to hold off the other team from scoring in the first half.

Worse still: this was a skull->death IIRC. On my only +mv player. Reroll'd to MNG.

Nullkigan makes an attempt but about halfway in the round he abandons most of the right side of the field and gathers 6-7 zons around a lonely troll slayer, leaving me to have a somewhat leisurely stroll down his left side with my ballcarrier. My troll slayer gets fouled repeatedly, but he only gets stunned. My dwarfs, looking on in disgust, decides to show them how it's done, and fouls one of theirs to a badly hurt (or crushed hand?), and the deathroller BH one of the gangfoulers.

I brought a bribe with the inducements so I could force you to score or have a player ejected regardless of all else. I didn't get to use it until the second half because you had too much guard for me to peel someone off for gangfouling. Despite about six fouls in the match, the ref didn't even bat an eyelid.

The return foul was a -AV. On one of my Blitzers. The smashed hand was just a standard blitz, I think.

Against seven players with tackle, six with guard and eleven(?) with block, there wasn't much I could do except try to stay out of the way of the inevitable Funeral March formation. For about four turns I rolled nothing but pushes.

The only real saving grace was that the deathroller managed to roll stumbles four times out of five. Until it finally sent someone off. Well, that and the spot of irony right at the end with a dwarf finally going down.

desvergeh
15-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Final Result: Monopole Magnates 1, Salems Lot 2.

I finally won a match!!!!

Mainly due to some lucky blocks and dodges in the second half. Full write-up to be added tomorrow.

Overall it was a pretty close run game. My choice to purchase a ghoul player, bringing my numbers back up to 11 after having lost both my wights in recent games, proved fortunate. He went on to being almost single handledly responsible for both my touchdowns! My hired star player Nekbrekerekh proved less able, doing little until he knocked himself out in a failed block in turn 16.

Jiiiiiim repeatedly tore openings in my central defence using his Sauri, but his skinks were simply not up to the game, failing several crucial dodges. This was compounded by 2 important failed blocks from his Sauri, which should have been sure things (double skulls despite a re-roll). The only run of luck Jiiiim had was in the first half, where he scored an easy TD using a saurus runner and skink cage. Although luck had little to do with this, more my failure at mounting a solid defence.

Not one to look a gift-horse in the mouth I used the opportunities presented to my team to score two TDs using my new star ghoul Wormgrinder. Both times he managed to dodge out of harms way and run in the TDs I needed.

Thanks for the game Jiiiim, better luck in the remaining matches.

Edit - Additional match details added.

smaug81
15-06-2011, 09:41 PM
The last few turns of my match against Gorm really did just provide a priceless lesson on the fickle vengeance of Nuffle. It was turn 15, only one turn left for each of us, and as Gorm said, my berserker had the ball and was within 3 or 4 squares of the end zone. Most of his players were well back at midfield, as were most of mine. I was slightly worried about him having one chance to blitz the ball carrier on his last turn, so I intended to blitz away a single thrall that was tying up an ulfwerener and a couple of linemen so that I could move them forward to provide a rudimentary screen. I activated blitz, went to throw the 2d block with the Ulfy, made the mistake of thinking "what could possibly go wrong?," and sure enough, Nuffle heard my thoughts and rolled up a pair of BDs for the one type of player on my team that doesn't have block.

This allowed Gorm to hypnotize one of my players, freeing up a thrall for the blitz on the ball carrier. I thought I was saved by the push. . . another mistake. He maneuvered a vampire into position on the other side of my ball carrier, nicely blocking him in. When my final turn came around, I managed a GFI to get a lineman next to the vamp and cancel out his assist, again giving me hope that I might yet score. Pop blitz again, have the ball carrying 'zerker throw his 1d block against the thrall, hoping that frenzy would ensure he'd go down and move me safely out of the vampire's tackle zone. . . and Nuffle repaid my hopes with a skull, ending the match. And, for good measure, the 'zerker went down badly hurt.

Worst of all, in retrospect I'm pretty sure that if I had simply moved the 'zerker to the touchline first before attempting that first block, he'd have been beyond even GFI range of any of Gorm's players. I'd be kicking myself, but the whole thing is just too damn funny. It was such a hilariously perfect screw that I can't be upset. :P

Take this lesson to heart, friends. Hubris is the sweetest of meats to Nuffle. If you think you've got it in the bag, he *will* come for you.

mootpoint
15-06-2011, 09:54 PM
And the Munchers suffer another beating. 2 - 0 to Deesnos Dwarfs. Despite the diminutive size of the opposition, a sweltering sun forced the managment of the Munchers to sit in the shade, sipping on a glass of wine, calmly on-looking the slaughter that took place on the pitch. Two halflings were thrown, one submitting to hunger (he hadn't eaten for more than two minutes), on the endzone, handing the ball to a fine lady in the audience as he was carried off. The other one landed so close to a blitzer that he fainted, despite being told twice that the mean-looking, beer-smelling, heavily armoured little evil person was out of range. The rest of the team didn't really like the look of the dwarfs either and unanimously decided that every single little peck from the Chompers would be a perfect excuse to hang out in the dug outs and drink beer.

There was one heroic halfling that actually tried to play Blood Bowl, Tequila I think his name was. He actually killed a dwarf, jumping belly first on the stout fella (already lying on the ground)! Grinning widely as the ref led him off the pitch, he didn't see the apothecary nimbly putting the carcass back together.

GG Cacamas, and a well deserved win, you played well despite Nuffle's best efforts!

alh_p
15-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I finally won a match!!!!

Mainly due to some lucky blocks and dodges

Congrats, but in my limited experience, that's all this game hangs on really...

Cacamas
15-06-2011, 10:07 PM
GG with Mootpoint's short stuffs: 2-0 to me in the end. After the bruising encounter with the Norse last time, it was nice that, for once, my dwarfs were up against opponents smaller than them. And they took full advantage :)

The first TD was textbook: I received, formed a cage, broke through the defensive line and ran in with my runner. The next kick off threw up an interesting weather change and sweltering heat meant 4 of my dwarfs KO'd for the next play. Against a skeleton defence, Mootpoint nearly responded immediately to my TD. Another textbook play: treeman throws halfling to clear area who lands perfectly and runs for the line. But, DISASTER! And TRIUMPH for me! The stunty needed to GFI for one more square to get the TD but, in those twists BB always seems to throw up, he fell flat on his face in the TD zone.

The second half revealed a fully restored Dwarven defence who had decided that "a little sweat never hurt nobody". The beatings received in the previous half had taken it's toll and Mootpoint could only muster 6-7 players to attack. Stung by the close call earlier, three dwarfs stayed back to cover any sneaky throwing of teammates while the others worked on reducing the Halfling numbers and retrieve the ball from enemy clutches. They tried to cage up but, when one of the two treemen took root, there wasn't much hope in it working. In desperation, another launch of a halfling was attempted. He landed, but on his head, so the way was clear for my runner to pick up, move away from the single halfling remaining on the pitch and stroll over the line for the second and final TD.

Final toll: 5 halflings badly hurt, the rest KO'd with only the treemen remaining standing. A filthy, underhand foul killed (!) one of my blitzers, but my apothecary saved him.
Bring on the Vamps!

ntw
15-06-2011, 11:14 PM
So can we still join in this glorious whatever-this-is?

Add your details to the bottom of the SpreadSheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en#gid=24), but as PW says we're less than halfway thru the current season so you'll need to either keep checking the thread or come back and look in about 2 weeks...

/edit - Results validated, DivA rolled on

DarkFenix
16-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Sadly the race choices for new players looks rather limited at the moment, particularly if we get any more new joiners for next season. If you hate the remaining few teams enough I'm sure a sufficient level of pitiful puppy-eyed whining could get the powers-that-be to accomodate ;)

President Weasel
16-06-2011, 09:19 AM
You're truly tireless Pres.

I was watching Luther and sitting in the challange league lobby and blood bowl steam chat, and refreshing the forum every couple of minutes in case someone posted they wanted a game. Not sure about tireless, but "really fancied a game" would cover it.
In the end I got a game with Indefatigable Snoozer and, distracted by the telly, pretty much accused him of stealing my turn through some kind of evil witchcraft when actually I'd both-downed on my first block. Not my finest hour.

Vexing Vision
16-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Sadly the race choices for new players looks rather limited at the moment, particularly if we get any more new joiners for next season. If you hate the remaining few teams enough I'm sure a sufficient level of pitiful puppy-eyed whining could get the powers-that-be to accomodate ;)

I'm moderately certain we'll see some drop-outs after this season, but I agree that if more than 75% of all "non-challenging" races are full, you might start considering when to raise the limit to 5 races.

That said, I'm surprised that so few people are picking Goblins. I find them to be a more capable team than Vampires, but that's probably only because my Vamps keep badly hurting my Thralls. Bloodsuckers.

DarkFenix
16-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm moderately certain we'll see some drop-outs after this season, but I agree that if more than 75% of all "non-challenging" races are full, you might start considering when to raise the limit to 5 races.

That said, I'm surprised that so few people are picking Goblins. I find them to be a more capable team than Vampires, but that's probably only because my Vamps keep badly hurting my Thralls. Bloodsuckers.
Perhaps it actually would be a good idea to relax it to 5 now that all the new guys are in and a good spread of races already exists. I know why the fairly tight limit exists, it's to prevent everyone piling onto the most popular teams or the most effective ones. There seems to be quite a tendency towards the underdog teams here on RPS though, if anything the avoidance is of the 'boring' teams (read: Human).

Not that I have an ulterior motive or anything, wanting to ditch rats but not having a different enough team to ditch them for.

President Weasel
16-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Those rats got you all the way to the Champions League in successive seasons, and now you want to change them and start again?

alh_p
16-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Wot no ogre teams at all? And Pro Elf aren't that bad.

mrpier
16-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I considered switching to an elf team again before this season, but now I feel like my dwarves are coming into their right. That is being a bunch of annoying bastards to play against :p So I'll stick with them at least for another season.

DarkFenix
16-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes, these rats have served me exceedingly well, yes they've got me to the championship in successive seasons. But on the other hand their TV is horribly high (now into the 30k spiralling expenses band) so even in the championship I'm routinely giving away 400k in inducements. The other reason is always playing the risky luck-based game inherent to skaven slowly but surely frays my nerves away every match. It's starting to make matches as much stressful as fun, particularly when the dice decide to have a go at me (which they do all too regularly). When a game gets stressful, time for a change of pace.

I'd be very tempted to switch to pro elf, I have a rather nice single player pro elf team. What puts me off is a) they're not different enough from my skaven (I know they're more passers than runners, but same agility game broadly speaking) and b) if I switch I go down to the bottom division, giving me last dibs if my most desired team gets a free slot.

Part of the reason I fancy chaos is that I've forever felt slightly cheated on my skaven team, getting only one double and one stat-up in 22 level ups. Yup, that one-in-six chance of a double just never came through for me. So every time I level a chaos player and pick a mutation, I'm going to give those f***ing level up dice the finger. Or nurgle of course, I'm not discriminatory with my Chaos gods, though nurgle's lack of agility is rather prohibitive.

mrpier: Your bloody dwarves were annoying enough when I fought them a couple of seasons ago, I dread to think what they're like now.

alh_p
16-06-2011, 01:25 PM
It's starting to make matches as much stressful as fun, particularly when the dice decide to have a go at me (which they do all too regularly). When a game gets stressful, time for a change of pace.

Again, the dice will always shit on you -or at least that's my experience. The only teams where you can be certain [within reasonable doubt] of succeeding at something (and you've always got a chance of failing whatever), are rubbish at something else. So while you are pinning for more durability and reliability now, were you to make the switch to Chaos you'd soon enough end up wishing you could score 1 turn TDs and keep your opponent chasing your score-line (and Chaos aren't ACME durable either anyway).

The grass is always greener but I do understand that it's fun to change things up a bit.

ChainsawHands
16-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Again, the dice will always shit on you -or at least that's my experience.
The fool hath said in his heart, "there is no Nuffle"...

unitled
16-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Never blame the dice when you lose... that way, when you win you can take all the credit :-)

NieA7
16-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Just beat cwoac 1-0, though the dice were unquestionably on my side. Don't think I've ever seen so many knockouts even including halflings.

DarkFenix
16-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Validated.

duff
17-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Those rats got you all the way to the Champions League in successive seasons, and now you want to change them and start again?

I'm also one of the people thinking about changing teams... though I honestly don't think I have the heart to do it. It mind sound crazy, but as one dimensional as I'm starting to find the Orc game (especially after I lost my agi 4 thrower :( ), I actually feel like I owe it to them to continue. When Gragask Lineker breaks someones hip everygame I just cant find the bottle to look into those beautiful eyes and call time.

cwoac
17-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Just beat cwoac 1-0, though the dice were unquestionably on my side. Don't think I've ever seen so many knockouts even including halflings.

indeed. at one point I had 6 KO and on injury. Out of a total of about ten recover rolls I made 2. Still, no permanent injuries.
I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the e-dice are balancing out my usual luck with real ones.

President Weasel
17-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm also one of the people thinking about changing teams... though I honestly don't think I have the heart to do it. It mind sound crazy, but as one dimensional as I'm starting to find the Orc game (especially after I lost my agi 4 thrower :( ), I actually feel like I owe it to them to continue. When Gragask Lineker breaks someones hip everygame I just cant find the bottle to look into those beautiful eyes and call time.

I'd be the same way if my "star player" wasn't such a one-rolling traitor.

President Weasel
17-06-2011, 12:52 PM
With 2 games played, I have 4 points, Pier has 3, Zoraster 2, and Nullks 1.

If I beat Nullkigan I get promoted. It's unlikely though as amazons are my bogey team.
If I draw with Nullkigan and Pier draws with Zoraster, I get promoted.
If I draw with Nullks and Zoraster wins, we end up even on 5 points and with identical head-to-head records. I think I'd go through in that case due to the sheer number of rats I broke in our drawn match.
If Pier wins and I don't, Pier gets promoted.
If Pier draws and I lose, Pier and Nullkigan and I all end up on 4 points, in the classic "I beat Pier who beat Nullkigan who beat me" confusion, and it will come down to casualties vs touchdowns.

Unless I lose all my players to injuries (touch wood) and Zoraster scores eleventy touchdowns in the final match, it doesn't seem likely that he can be promoted. It's mathematically impossible for me to be demoted. But any of three people can get promoted, and any of three can go down.

DarkFenix
17-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Heh, complicated down there. Champs is a lot cleaner cut for me. There's only one possibility in which I can lose, that's if ChainsawHands wins both his remaining games. If the other day 2 game is a win for HughTower or a draw, I win. Even if HughTower wins both his last games and I lose mine, we'd be on level pegging seperated by my victory against him.

I really hope HughTower does win/draw against ChainsawHands, it'd take the pressure off me and let me just coast to the finish line, taking risks and spreading SPP in my final game. Bloody 85 SPP one-turner hogging all the touchdowns. Still, better to be a ball-hog than a one-roller.

mrpier
17-06-2011, 02:01 PM
A draw is always a good bet on my dwarves given my inability to score more than a couple of goals each match.

Zoraster
17-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Unless I lose all my players to injuries (touch wood) and Zoraster scores eleventy touchdowns in the final match, it doesn't seem likely that he can be promoted.
Well unless I win and you lose of course which means I finish a point ahead of you and Nullk and mrpier gets relegated. Unlikely given my battered rats and all that Guard coupled with 2 AG4 players... chances of my getting the ball off the Dwarfs are low, but given the hideous luck Iíve had with loose balls this season I might have dice karma helping the cause :)

President Weasel
17-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow, you're right. Anyone can get promoted. It's all to play for!

Alistair Hutton
17-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I've got a new bathroom, a new kitchen and the old phone line. I am back in business. I have reactivated my self on the spread sheet and await the next season with baited breath.

boots468
18-06-2011, 12:17 AM
A somewhat messy game between Copper8642's humans and my vamps saw many skulls on both sides, lots of inaccurate passing and general unexpectedness all round. Thankfully, my thrall's av7 held up better than the human's av8 and I won 1-0, although it required a last turn go-for-it blitz on his catcher with an unskilled thrall to stop an equaliser and my MVP thrall from last game died. Overall, an odd game, but played in a good spirit, thanks Copper!

DarkFenix
18-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Validated.

potatoedoughnut
18-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Meatloaf and I just finished our Day 2 game, 4-0 to Clone High. Unfortunately Meat was still learning some of the mechanics and how to play type stuff. No lasting injuries to either side, but his Krox got a level :)

Thanks for the game Meatloaf, may your skinks be fast and dodgey.

Copper8642
18-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Good game boots, I feel we both stayed classy in the face of a deluge of failed passing. The Pass skill and AG 4 mean nothing, apparently.

boots468
18-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Good game boots, I feel we both stayed classy in the face of a deluge of failed passing. The Pass skill and AG 4 mean nothing, apparently.

Yes, I felt we stayed true to our aims and continued to attempt passes, even though the first six were all fumbled or inaccurate even with re-rolls. And it so nearly worked for you with that long bomb in turn 15!

ntw
18-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Meatloaf and I just finished our Day 2 game, 4-0 to Clone High. Unfortunately Meat was still learning some of the mechanics and how to play type stuff. No lasting injuries to either side, but his Krox got a level :)

Thanks for the game Meatloaf, may your skinks be fast and dodgey.

...and naturally one of you will be entering the score into the SpreadSheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en#gid=21)so I don't have to use the chemical castration kit which GroovyChainsaw handily and mysteriously left in a drawer of his (oh so comfortable) Dictator's Throne...

ChainsawHands
18-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Standards have really slipped if we're using a chemical castration kit these days...

ntw
18-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Standards have really slipped if we're using a chemical castration kit these days...

Well, it's 2 hot bricks covered in acid...

potatoedoughnut
18-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I knew I was forgetting something...

What do you do if the coach has already been castrated?

Rakysh
18-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Reconstruction surgery, then re-castration.

LowKey
19-06-2011, 02:06 PM
just a quick message to say myself and Arnisarus just played our game, a 1-1 slog fest that saw a couple of injuries, some long term KO's and an orc team that must have been elves painted green for the passing game/dodge game they played... except for an inability to pick up a ball - fun times all round!

ChainsawHands
19-06-2011, 02:09 PM
HughTower was 2-1 up on turn 12 or 13 of our match, which would have finished 3-1 or maybe 3-2 to him, when we got a "network synchronisation" error. Eventually I tried saying "abandon match" but it... failed to abandon the match, so I alt+f4ed out. Looking at the result, it's given me a 4-2 victory, which is amusing.

I'm not sure what to do about this - reset the match? Change the score?

ChainsawHands
19-06-2011, 02:17 PM
OK, we're going to reset the match and replay tomorrow night.

Vexing Vision
19-06-2011, 03:44 PM
The Seaside Sirens (Vex) vs Screwie's Bloody Gobbos

To much jeering from the crowd due to the lack of an apothecary, the Goblins win the toss and elect to charge the Amazons with Fanatic and Chainsaw-wielding madgoblin set up.

The Amazons fail their kicking again. Reminder to myself: Buy a kicker. Amazed by the beautiful but pointless arc of the kick, the fanatic begins to swing around his chain rather ineffectual, and the trolls dance around the Sirens like they're squigs. A particularly dazzled troll knocks himself out rather early in turn 2.

After neither Looney nor Fanatic manage to do anything to stop the pushing and blocking Amazons, the Touchdown in Turn 6 seemed rather inevitable.

The follow-up kick-off goes wide again, this time into another direction. White girls can't kick, it seems, as one of the orc spectators sneers audibly. More trolls trying to remember what they were supposed to and a psychotic bomber who'd rather blow up the crowd instead of some Sirens (and even handing a bomb to one of the Sirens' blitzers to throw at the crowd as well) didn't help to stop the second touchdown for the Amazons. What DID help to stop the second Amazon was an ineffectual coach who thought the ladies would be able to run just one single more step. Which they didn't, staring at the far too distant touchdown line in dismay in turn 8.

After the half-time, the Gobbos show the Sirens how to kick. A perfect kick, leaving the coach of the Amazons busy scribbling notes and the girls staring in awe, not noticing how the Goblins quickly change up their entire line-up while the ball was still in the air.

However, the ball is quickly secured and trundled downfield. A single goblin runs up and attempts to stop the screen of Amazons, with predictable results, and turn 11 finally sees the Sirens' second touchdown.

Eager to practice what they learned about kicking, the Sirens attempt another go. And while the ball lies in field for once (the first time this season!), the kick is so high that the receiving Goblin has no problems strolling leisurely over.

A rather inspired scuffle ensures, at one point seeing a Blitzer accidentally picking up a scattering ball, not noticing the two angry trolls and the cage of Goblins around her. However, it was neither the cage nor the trolls but the single simple dodge that finally failed for her to break free, resulting in the Goblins being able to pick up and secure the ball for a turn 16 consolidation score, ending the rather bloodless match 2-1 for the Sirens, with a single half-hearted, non-serious casualty on each side.

Bring on the Orcs, and cheers to Screwie for a fun match where the dice just didn't work out for him at all.

Jolima
19-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I've validated all the matches I could find.

unitled
19-06-2011, 04:29 PM
TonjouUtena and me have just finished our match. We both scored in the first half, I scored off my receive in the second half then JUST managed to turn the ball over a couple of turns from the end of the match. Finished 2-1 to me.

Well played Utena, some proper nailbiting moments there!

Indefatigible Snoozer
19-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Division D's other match also just completed, so the day can roll on!

After last week's 3-0 annihilation, The Dwarven Giants were looking to kick something, preferably an elf head. Luckily there are 3 Elf teams in Division D, so finding a target for dwarven boots will not be an issue!

Xercies' Space Elves won the toss, and elected to receive. He progressed the ball down the field, but left his carrier open to a block on turn 4, and the ball was knocked loose. It lay on the ground for a few turns, while elves and dwarves shoved and pushed all around it, before finally being picked up by my runner, who held on to it to score on turn 8. This was perfect timing, as Tiny, the Dwarven Death Roller, was able to use his bribe to stick around for the start of the next half, with the dwarves receiving!

Dorf ball continued in the second half, with elven bodies left littering the pitch. Tiny the Death Roller merrily rolled around, crushing elves left and right. Xercies tried mightily to break the dwarven cage, but could not ultimately prevent a second touchdown on turn 16.

Textbook dorfball. Let's see how we do next week, however, without that vital bribe to keep Tiny around for the whole game!

Final score, 2-0 to the Giants.

Good game Xercies!