PDA

View Full Version : Non-mandatory ARPS ARMA training sessions for newcomers!

Comrade Commissar
27-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Greetings!

There recently was the idea of a non-mandatory training session coming up in the RPS Steam group chat and due to the fact that I was thinking of something like that for quite a while now, I have finally decided to give it a go and officially post about it on the forums.

You probably know me by my Steam chat or ARMA name "Ivan Sidorenko" and I am here to help YOU, Mr. Newcomer!

Due to the large influx of new players that join us on our weekly Tactical Tuesday and also on the Sunday Folk sessions, I decided to offer a "basic training" to everyone who is new to the game and would like to learn some of the basic ARMA multiplayer stuff, while also answering all of the questions you might have about the game.

That "basic training" would answer such easy things like "How do I swith fire modes on my gun?" or "How do I toggle between the sights on my gun?" but also "advanced" stuff like "How do I properly move in a squad?" and "How do I shoot the stuff that my FTL tells me to shoot?".

I would also answer your questions about how to get mods like "STHud" to work, so that your situational awareness is greatly improved and there would probably be also a ton of fun stuff like driving tractors and crashing helicopters.

All of this would be done in a thing called "Virtual Battle Space", which is basically an "on-the-fly" editor that I can use to spawn in objects, enemies and other cool stuff in real time.

The first session is planned for Saturday, June 30th at 19:30 BST.

Just join up in Mumble and hit the server and when the numbers are right, training will commence.

(To the people who are completely new, I can also help you set up Mumble properly when you contact me in the RPS Steam group chat!)

I hope you newcomers will take this opportunity and when enough people show up, we can turn this into a weekly thing, so that all the new guys will find a nice place to start their ARMA adventures in!

Looking forward to the session,
Ivan

Edit:

If we feel like it, we'll throw in the "ARPS ADVANCED TRACTOR TACTICS TRAINING©" (Advanced TTT©) and the "ARPS HELICOPTER GUIDE TO CRASHING©" (Advanced BOOM©)!

StrangLove
27-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I'll be your C-C-CO HOST for the evening, feel free to drop by and join in/shout at weed/criticise my hair/learn from "1337Pr0s"

Ta, Strang.

Wafflynumber
27-06-2012, 01:42 AM
If you need some help training the newbs. I can help! :D

Siddin
27-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I'll be in, just for the fun.

Strange
27-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Hope to join, but I won't make it till about 8:30pm if you're still going (children permitting!)

strange

airtekh
27-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Sounds interesting. This is probably a good idea given the amount of new Arma2 players there will be after the imminent Steam sale (due to Day Z of course).

I've been attending Tactical Tuesdays for about a month now so I have an understanding of most things, but I think I'll show up just in case there's some obvious stuff I missed.

I managed to get STHud working for the first time at TT yesterday (no thanks to outdated installation guides) and it was brilliant.

StrangLove
27-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Strange, that's fine, we can accomodate for latecomers so it won't be an issue.

TheBlobThing
27-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I'll be there.

Issus
27-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I'll be there. I've done a few TTs, but I'm always worried my incompetence is getting in the way of someone else's fun. It'd be good to have proper run through of things.

Joseph-Sulphur
27-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I've received personal Arma 2 coaching from the legendary progamer Iceraiser_420 himself, I'll be glad to help out if advanced tactical insight is required. 360 degree RPK shooting, low-observable crouchwalking stealth posture, AN-2 operations etc.

Fistulator
27-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Will it be like Full Metal Jacket? Please let it be like Full Metal Jacket!

(I will probably be there too, like Issus, I'm afraid my ineptitude ruins TTs for everyone)

Nullkigan
27-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Will it be like Full Metal Jacket? Please let it be like Full Metal Jacket!

(I will probably be there too, like Issus, I'm afraid my ineptitude ruins TTs for everyone)

It does not. The only person harmed by any ineptitude is yourself, because you got shot and have to sit out until the next mission :(

The bigger problem right now is command and control. I have a bee in my bonnet and I'm going to get out my Big Stick to deal with it if I have to (not directed at newer players: it's the people who've been around for a while that should really know better by now).

Unaco
27-06-2012, 10:23 PM
For those who are worried... Ineptitude, in the game, does not in any way ruin it, really. Except in very specific circumstances; Chopper or Plane piloting, for example - if you can't fly, and you volunteer to fly transport, and then smear 10 of us against a mountain, that's not so much fun. Friendly fire would maybe be another one. But being a poor shot, or not moving like a well oiled tactical machine is no impediment to playing with us, and in a fair number of situations, it adds to our enjoyment and our mystique... we are the barely competent military organisation our mission briefings and objectives imply. If you miss an RPG shot at something 10 meters away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69yEc5ArUO4) we'll laugh with/at you... but you'll never be told off for it, and it'll never be held against you in any way.

However, there are some things that it is good to learn, in regards to how we (ARPS & FOLK) tend to do things... which Ivan/Strang will be going over I believe. These are things like comms discipline, slotting, briefing... the things that go around the actual shooting and dying. With numbers there has to be some organisation to it (60 people trying to slot up by themselves and all talking on mumble just does not work). It's not about being draconian or overbearing though... just about getting through the extraneous parts quicker and smoother - we have a way that we do this, but it needs everyone to go along with it. And, if we spend 10 minutes extra in slotting/splitting channels/planning etc. for each mission, that's 30 or so minutes we could have spent at the end of the session on another mission. That's, at least, 25% more death right there.

Saying that though, there's nothing wrong with learning the ins and outs of ArmA itself, and the quite realistic weapons (bullet drop, how to adjust for it, fire modes etc) and tactics that it brings. You'll get more fun out of it if you know that the RPG18 you have is going to drop like a rock after about 3 meters, or that it's a good idea to drop smoke down and then drag someone back, rather than healing them while standing over the point at which they just got shot.

StrangLove
27-06-2012, 11:20 PM
The bigger problem right now is command and control. I have a bee in my bonnet and I'm going to get out my Big Stick to deal with it if I have to (not directed at newer players: it's the people who've been around for a while that should really know better by now).

If you'd like me/Ivan to cover it in the session, feel free to buzz it up in RPS steamchat.

Strange
28-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I can't post in main forum, so minor thread hijack here... htf do you add the RPS server to a preset in Six Updater? Six Updater makes my head hurt, but I'm trying to get it set up...

strange the stoopid.

Black Mamba
28-06-2012, 11:30 AM
If you'd like me/Ivan to cover it in the session, feel free to buzz it up in RPS steamchat.

Well if that session intends to cover a basic guideline bout "how to become a decent FTL", i'm all for it.
I'm far from being new at the game, i guess (hope) that as a basic grunt i'm able to do a proper job, but as i often end up in command of in my FT, due to the fact i often play as a AR, i do feel... slow. Not to say retarded.
And it's been preventing me from slotting as a FTL until now, cause i believe there's nothing wrong with being an average soldier, but having a bad FTL does ruin the fun a bit. (well, i got no examples. Probably would be more of a "having a good FTL really enhance the fun" thing)

Edit: Strange, i can help you with that if needed, drop me a PM. Basically go into the Servers tab in SixU, and type something like "Rock" in the Name column. Rockpapershotgun should be there, just right-click on it and create a new preset with that server. As it's a vanilla server, it will create a new preset (left column), named RockPaperShotgun (you can rename it as you wish) with nothing in it (or only the beta if you run it).
Then go for the Mods tab, select each mod you wanna run (CBA, JSRS, sthud, stmovement is what i use) and right click on them, add them to the current preset. Now, when Tactical Tuesday comes, just launch SU, right click on your preset, join the server, and there ya go.

StrangLove
28-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Mamba, we'll cover working in a fireteam in the session, which will include operating as an FTL. Really though, the best way to learn is to do, it may be an idea to jump into an FTL slot next time you play.

Bodge
28-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Alternatively have a chat with someone who was a good FTL for you, we learn from each other.

Kelron
29-06-2012, 01:38 AM
i.e. not Ivan. Be sure to insult Ivan at every possible opportunity.

Comrade Commissar
29-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Screw you, Kelron.

Also, the way we are going to do this is the following:

The "learners" will slot up in Cadet fireteams, with one Cadet Officer, four regular Cadets and one Cadet Medic per squad (Not the standard ARPS/FOLK layout for fireteams, but better for learning). Cadet Officer will be the FTL in the combat training and the other Cadets will assume the roles of whatever we assign them to.

The modified version of VTS we will be using for this includes 6 instructor slots, one for each of the fireteams. Depending on how many instructors we will have during the session (which is yet to decided), we will assign one instructor to each fireteam, running them through different "courses" at the same time. That will hopefully increase the efficieny of this whole thing and also will allow you to ask all the question you might have.

We'll go over all the important "basics", like comms discipline, slotting, how Mumble works, how the Folk platoon works, how the "chain of command" works and all the other important stuff.

We will also do a bit of firing range shooting for you to get used to the weapons that are used in most of the ARPS/FOLK missions, basic squad movement in a simulated combat situation, FTL training, medic training and all that stuff.

Then we will probably do some more advanced stuff like explosives handling, core features of most of the ARPS/FOLKS missions, rocket launcher and sniper rifle sights (especially the Russian PSO sights), vehicle rules and handling and some stuff like "How do mortars work?", "What do I do as the Machine Gun attachment?", "How do I take out a tank/IFV/entrenched machine gun without killing everyone in my squad?".

If people wish to, we can also do some basic pilot training for rotary wing aircraft and some tank fun.

Then we will proceed to set up a small "mission" of clearing out a town, using all the stuff we learned in the session.
After that we are open to any other suggestions and questions and if people feel like it some fooling around in VTS.

Sound good? I hope so.
If you have any more suggestions, please post them here.

Edit:

I also rewatched Full Metal Jacket today to get me in the mood for Saturday.

unruly
29-06-2012, 04:00 AM
The big thing that's keeping me from playing Arma with you guys is my general ineptitude at it. With Day Z I've learned a few things, and I've remembered a few things from my old days of the original OFP, but I still don't know jack-squat in the grand scheme. I'd love to get in on one of these informal training sessions, but being in the States, and working a job that's got non-standard hours and days off makes a lot of mass social stuff hard even when dealing with people locally, let alone halfway across the globe. I could show up for a Tactical Tuesday, because it does fall on one of my days off and is right around the time I'd be waking up(if I'm doing my math right it puts it at 1430 EDT), but I'd rather just skip out of it than show up and not know what I'm doing.

Kelron
29-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Come to Tactical Tuesday. Ineptitude is encouraged.

Nim.Was.Taken
29-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Repeat after me:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

StrangLove
29-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Unruly, ineptitude is never, never a barrier in ARPS sessions. Anyway, if you've got ARMA 2 CO, you have the needed skills to play. Tactical Tuesday is immensly fun, and I'd highly reccomend coming along and playing with other ARMA LLARMAs.

harakka
29-06-2012, 09:21 AM
To unruly and others who are discouraged by feelings of ineptitude and stuff: please don't be.

You can join our Tuesday and Sunday sessions just fine without going through any training sessions and without knowing anything much about the game. Many people completely new to ARMA2 have done so and lived to tell about it, while having fun in the process. I wrote a bit about this shortly after starting to play in ARPS and Folk sessions, in the hopes of encouraging people just like you to join in on the fun. To quote myself:

You may also feel that your skill / experience level is not adequate, and fear that you can potentially ruin other peoples' fun by sucking at the game. Good news: that's not how it works. ArmA2 is not a frag contest, and we are not a serious group of milsimmers. This is not Serious Business. We don't expect you to make ArmA2 your second day job. We don't play to win, we play to have fun. And sometimes the best fun is to die horribly.

The easiest way to learn the game is to play it with a welcoming bunch of people, such as us, and ask questions as you go along. This training session exists if you feel like you want to brush up on things, but please do not feel it is in any way necessary.

StrangLove
29-06-2012, 09:27 AM
This training session exists if you feel like you want to brush up on things, but please do not feel it is in any way necessary.

This is very important to note, please don't feel like this session is at all needed for you to play with us, it's not. It's just a way of introducing new players to the way we play in a non-combat environment.

unruly
29-06-2012, 09:56 AM
It's not that I feel that the training is necessary, it's that I feel like I'm too dumb to be of much use other than as cannon fodder. And while I'm that way in Day Z for the most part, it's less of a barrier because I'm not looking at 20 minutes of running only to die to some invisible someone way off in the distance and wait another 20 minutes to respawn(how most of my old OFP online sessions went). I'll run for 20 minutes, die to someone I can't see, and then immediately respawn to do it over again. So it's not my being afraid of dragging you guys down, it's my being afraid of not having fun because my ineptitude gets me killed before any fun can actually happen.

I might try to hit this coming Tuesday's session, if I can drag my ass out of bed in time, but if my math was correct earlier and it's at 1430 EDT then it shouldn't really be too much of a problem. Will I have to sign up in advance or anything or is it a more casual "If you show up, you play" kind of thing?

Siddin
29-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Will I have to sign up in advance or anything or is it a more casual "If you show up, you play" kind of thing?

The ARPS and Folk sessions have always been an open invitation. There is no signup needed, and people won't hold it against you if you don't show up. They might whine about how much they'll miss dying with you, but don't let them get to you!

kataras
29-06-2012, 10:15 AM
@unruly: just show up on time and play, nothing else. Don't worry about anything else, give it a try and see how it goes.

Wolfenswan
29-06-2012, 10:24 AM
it's my being afraid of not having fun because my ineptitude gets me killed before any fun can actually happen.

Bullshit deaths are part of the ARMA2 experience. But most of the time it isn't an invisible dude from 2k out that gets you, it's that dude from 50m to your left you failed to spot because of a lack of awareness. Anyway, 99% of the missions we play have an advanced spectator mode that allows you to watch the demise of your fellow comrades from above and laugh about them with the other dead people in the "dead people" mumble channel. And that by itself can be a ton of fun.

Halop
29-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Bullshit deaths are part of the ARMA2 experience. But most of the time it isn't an invisible dude from 2k out that gets you, it's that dude from 50m to your left you failed to spot because of a lack of awareness.
Indeed, 80% of my deaths are from a squad of previously unseen baddies who just walked over a small hill which was clear a minute ago.

Anyway, this session sounds like fun, looking forward to learning FTL tactics from the pros. I have played a lot of OFP and Arma1 back in the days, so I know my way around an AK, but as I never played online, I find it difficult to coordinate stuff with other players and fireteams.

egg651
29-06-2012, 01:55 PM
...some stuff like "How do mortars work?"

Simple, just tell me where you need exploderising.

Might also tun up for this because how can shoot gun

Harlander
29-06-2012, 02:35 PM
On the general topic, have we got a post anywhere about the new order of battle and how it'll be managed in regards to channels and who has CC on and whatnot?

Joseph-Sulphur
29-06-2012, 02:37 PM
On the general topic, have we got a post anywhere about the new order of battle and how it'll be managed in regards to channels and who has CC on and whatnot?

I think Nul said he's going to do a talk at some point at the beginning of a session about comms.

Brnin8r
29-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Finally i can learn how to play this game!

Siddin
30-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Might also tun up for this because how can shoot gun

I, too, just want to know how do pew pew.

Bodge
30-06-2012, 03:47 PM
but I'd rather just skip out of it than show up and not know what I'm doing.

First of all have a look at the threads about the admin stuff (where the server is etc) so you can get to the right place on time.

Second, join a fireteam and ask people about things. I won't be around this tuesday but i am sure plenty of people here will talk you through what is going on, just have a chat with them ingame after the mission has started.

Strange
30-06-2012, 04:39 PM
On the subject of ineptitude (of which I have plenty), I've played one TT so far, and I reckon as long as you can do the following, you're good to go:

- get into mumble and listen
- know how to talk on Arma group voice
- unslot and slot at the beginning of a mission
- follow your fireteam leader
- die gloriously (or pathetically).

I managed all the above. Except for the gloriously bit.

strange

Unaco
30-06-2012, 07:24 PM
On the subject of ineptitude (of which I have plenty), I've played one TT so far, and I reckon as long as you can do the following, you're good to go:

- get into mumble and listen
- know how to talk on Arma group voice
- unslot and slot at the beginning of a mission
- follow your fireteam leader
- die gloriously (or pathetically).

Pretty much, yes... this is all you need for ARPS/FOLK (for those who are still worried). Additionally, as well as knowing how to talk on group voice, Mumble/TS, and how to set up CC whispers (if you want any sort of command), you should also know when NOT to talk; during slotting, briefing, and when the CO is planning, delivering the plan. And also comms discipline in general... Channels, especially the command one, should be kept largely clear for important messages. A few other things that go along with our single rule (Don't be a d*ck) don't hurt... If your squad/fireteam is trying to be stealthy, don't fire your gun in the air. Don't jump in vehicles as soon as you see them. If you're AAR, keep your backpack etc until the AT/AR asks for extra ammo.

Learning things like tactics can't hurt at all, but the essentials for playing with us are more the little procedures and etiquette that we have. Someone should go over these essential things tonight... and I think there'll be a quick going over it for new people at the next TT session.

Siddin
30-06-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm risking my life by posting these, but here are some screengrabs from the session: http://imgur.com/a/WRxwN

Kefirz
30-06-2012, 10:53 PM
It was an interesting session and maybe if there would be interest we could do some more advanced stuff like compound clearing, ambushes, convoys. Of course we don't have to go into the details about it, but basic stuff like going in with full auto, checking your buddies back, not bunching up like sheep, you know things like that. And when ambushing someone the whole platoon should be behind a ridge or in trees so the convoy can't see them and they can't see the convoy and only have a CO or a designated spotter to keep an eye on them and that way we could do a proper ambush mission with satchels and mines.

Siddin
30-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I think this sort of thing is best learned while playing missions, honestly. I learned all the above by watching and listening. And dying. A lot.

Black Mamba
30-06-2012, 11:34 PM
One thing: We need to disable BIS conversation for th next one. Constantly hearing "private", "hi, sir", "hello", and other stuff is terribly annoying.

StrangLove
01-07-2012, 12:56 AM
I'll make sure to post those mods I was talking about in here later, right now I'm frazzled.

Joseph-Sulphur
01-07-2012, 10:42 AM
One thing: We need to disable BIS conversation for th next one. Constantly hearing "private", "hi, sir", "hello", and other stuff is terribly annoying.

I didn't hear that stuff, I'm pretty sure its because if you go to audio options you can turn "Radio" sounds all the way to nothing, meaning you don't hear any of the "MAN. FRONT. 200 METRES" stuff or the "Private?" spam.

Joe_Robins
01-07-2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't hear that stuff, I'm pretty sure its because if you go to audio options you can turn "Radio" sounds all the way to nothing, meaning you don't hear any of the "MAN. FRONT. 200 METRES" stuff or the "Private?" spam.

THAT is what I needed to do..

By the way, for sake of future confusion on the amount of GI Joe's we apparently have. I shall be changing my name from simply "Joe" to something more fun, maybe a suitably funny codename.

Thanks again to all for setting this up, really looking forward to getting to play some "serious" Arma2 multiplayer.

fer
01-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Remember, if you're coming along to the Folk sessions (next one is in 90 minutes from now, at 19:30 UK Sunday 01 July), you'll need to have TeamSpeak configured instead of Mumble. In nearly all other respects, whatever you learned at the non-mandatory training sessions should serve you well in the Folk session too.

For more information, see: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2540-README-Folk-Sessions-%28Sundays%29

Fool
14-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi have there been anymore of these sessions? Is there another today? Really want to try out some organised (ish) Arma

Bodge
14-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Can do, I was wanting to play some arma today. If people have things they want to try out then we can do that.

Universal Hamster
14-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd love to do some training, I know there is a horrible stack of stuff that I don't know or have forgotten, and if someone wants to line us up and shout at us like drill instructor Hartman, that's even better!

Head
14-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I'd love to do some training, I know there is a horrible stack of stuff that I don't know or have forgotten, and if someone wants to line us up and shout at us like drill instructor Hartman, that's even better!

Il gladely line up you all and shoot at you.

Universal Hamster
14-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Actually getting shot is one thing I'm pretty good at.

Black Mamba
14-07-2012, 04:59 PM
We could go for some helicopter training. Like, nap of the earth tactical flight, rooftop insertions, navigation in hostile territory and hot LZs.
Just cause we actually never get to fly choppers, so it'd be totally useless, hence the fun.

Bodge
14-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I will line something up at 7pm uk time. Come join me on mumble then.