PDA

View Full Version : Armo(u)red Core and other giant robot games

Kevin
26-06-2011, 02:45 AM
The Armo(u)red Core games ("u" added for the benefit of all you Tommies out there ^_^) have famously been known for their unrivaled customization and infamously known for giant robots that just can't seem to control as well as you'd like them to. Still, I could watch a trailer like this all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1Fa543OIY

While waiting on news for the next MechWarrior (which we have seen neither hide nor tail of since that demo way back when), I'm hoping that with everything From Software has learned from Demon's Souls they can make Armo(u)red Core another hit in their catalog.

Any other mech games you'd like to discuss?

squirrel
03-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Really look forward to have a try on Steel Battalion on original Xbox. Since the whole setup is too expensive to produce, I wonder. Why dont someone simple introduce a plug-n-play for those things? If they are concerned about cost of CPU and GPU, make those on DX9 graphics, which can be run on some very cheap CPU and GPU, or even CPU-GPU on a chip, and a lot would be excited.

Ayam
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I loved Armored Core on the original Playstation, really well paced game. I don't think I've tried any other giant robot game (including not trying any of Armored Core's sequels). I really wish at some point, on the PC, Sony would make a legit Playstation emulator, especially since the backwards compatibility has been stamped out of the PS3.

squareking
07-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Sadly, there aren't enough modern, big, mechy stomp & shoots out there for PC. Mechwarrior Living Legends felt pretty good, though. I didn't gel with it for some reason, though.

Very much looking forward to Hawken -- even though it looks to be a little too actiony.

Kelron
08-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Living Legends had nice stompy robots, but I didn't particularly enjoy it as a multiplayer game. The maps felt bare, and didn't really give a sense of scale.

Kelron
08-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I loved Armored Core on the original Playstation, really well paced game. I don't think I've tried any other giant robot game (including not trying any of Armored Core's sequels). I really wish at some point, on the PC, Sony would make a legit Playstation emulator, especially since the backwards compatibility has been stamped out of the PS3.

PS1 discs work with the PS3, it's just PS2 games that are the problem. It's also pretty easy to get a PS1 emulator working on PC. http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/

Ayam
09-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks Kelron, will check that out. Quite a tidy percentage of my Playstation games are Japanese - I do miss the double pull-out technique to get the game to work on a UK PS, once I got the timing right, I felt like such pro.