PDA

View Full Version : Any audio experts here? Clipping issues

sabrage
30-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I have my Xonar DG hooked up to my receiver (an old Yamaha CR-1020) via RCA. I don't know how long this problem has existed (maybe I just didn't notice?) but recently my music playback has been clipping so bad that I can hardly stand to listen to anything. I use foobar2000's replaygain feature, so that's not the issue. It's not one of low-bitrate recordings either. I tried removing my receiver from the equation, using my 64Ω headphones hooked directly into the soundcard, but the only 3.5mm cable I have for them is incredibly short (~.8m) so I have to stand right next to my computer to listen and that's not a great way to A-B test for clipping. Based on the short time I tried this, though, I'm pretty sure the clipping was still there. When they headphones are plugged into my receiver, the clipping is far worse than with my speakers.

Troubleshooting this kind of shit makes my head spin, and I'm about ready to just toss it out the window. I'm at a complete loss as to how I can fix this, or if I can at all. Does anyone have any advice?

Kamikaze-X
30-06-2012, 03:51 PM
in the Xonar control panel, look under Analog out, if you are set to 'headphone' click the hammer icon, and reduce the gain that way, maybe.

7hink
30-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I have my Xonar DG hooked up to my receiver (an old Yamaha CR-1020) via RCA. I don't know how long this problem has existed (maybe I just didn't notice?) but recently my music playback has been clipping so bad that I can hardly stand to listen to anything. I use foobar2000's replaygain feature, so that's not the issue. It's not one of low-bitrate recordings either. I tried removing my receiver from the equation, using my 64Ω headphones hooked directly into the soundcard, but the only 3.5mm cable I have for them is incredibly short (~.8m) so I have to stand right next to my computer to listen and that's not a great way to A-B test for clipping. Based on the short time I tried this, though, I'm pretty sure the clipping was still there. When they headphones are plugged into my receiver, the clipping is far worse than with my speakers.

Troubleshooting this kind of shit makes my head spin, and I'm about ready to just toss it out the window. I'm at a complete loss as to how I can fix this, or if I can at all. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm assuming this problem just occurs with foobar? Going on that assumption:

Replay gain can actually increase the gain depending on the recording. So it might be good to check that. You might also have some DSP runinng which boost the gain in some way. When using an EQ it's possible that it has an gain slider in that. Also when using an EQ you should always EQ down (going down from 0 dB) instead of up. Try turning off every non-essential DSP. (likely you can turn off everything)

When checking replaygain you should also check whether or not the preamp function is on. (more than 0 dB that is) If it is get it to 0 or below 0. The default value is 0.

Another option I can think of is that you might have some problems with the output method which can sound like clipping. Which output device are you using right now? If it's WASAPI or ASIO your buffer might be too small. If so, try increasing the buffer or try to use DS. The default value for the buffer in foobar is 1000 I believe. Anything up from 250 ms should work fine with your card though.

The last option I can think of is that the gain coming from the soundcard is too high. If you're using the analogue outputs of your Xonar (which you are) you should consider turning down the volume on your soundcard to about 70%.

sabrage
30-06-2012, 11:00 PM
in the Xonar control panel, look under Analog out, if you are set to 'headphone' click the hammer icon, and reduce the gain that way, maybe.
Well, that was an easy fix! I was afraid I was going to need to buy a new soundcard. I thought I went through all the sound card's output options, but I missed that one somehow. Seems to have done the trick, thanks!

@7think: Pre-amp at 0dB, no DSP settings, output device set to my Xonar with a buffer length of 500ms, and soundcard's output at 80%. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

djbriandamage
03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Headphones are rarely amplified so they rely on the sound source to provide the amplification. Sound card manufacturers often dual-purpose jacks and control their functionality with software toggles. When you have amplification at the sound card as well as the speakers it really muddies the output.

Props to Kamikaze-X for knowing this!

Also, when in doubt, just uninstall and reinstall your drivers (unless there's an easier way to set it to factory defaults). This almost always solves similar problems.

adist1002
06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
So it might be good to check that. You might also have some DSP runinng which boost the gain in some way. When using an EQ it's possible that it has an gain slider in that.http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

Kamikaze-X
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Headphones are rarely amplified so they rely on the sound source to provide the amplification. Sound card manufacturers often dual-purpose jacks and control their functionality with software toggles. When you have amplification at the sound card as well as the speakers it really muddies the output.

Props to Kamikaze-X for knowing this!

Also, when in doubt, just uninstall and reinstall your drivers (unless there's an easier way to set it to factory defaults). This almost always solves similar problems.
Thanks :) it's why I got the Xonar in the first place, for my Denons.

DaftPunk
08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Can i borrow this thread to ask about my problem.. I have 5.1 speakers (logitech) and today i noticed this weird noise coming from the Center speaker when i turn volume up,now i don't know what should this mean,is the speaker already broken or is the problem laying somewhere else. Because these speakers are not even one year old.

CMaster
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Can i borrow this thread to ask about my problem.. I have 5.1 speakers (logitech) and today i noticed this weird noise coming from the Center speaker when i turn volume up,now i don't know what should this mean,is the speaker already broken or is the problem laying somewhere else. Because these speakers are not even one year old.

Powered speakers or otherwise? The obvious suspicion regardless is interference from somewhere, especially if they are powered, self amplifying speakers (I had a set of PC speakers that picked up german AM radio occasionally. Was odd) Try ensuring there are no cables drawing significant amounts of power anywhere near the speaker cables.

fushan1001
13-07-2012, 11:18 AM
jacks and control their functionality with software toggles. When you have amplification at the sound card as well as the speakers it really muddies the output.http://www.avufo.info/g.gif