PDA

View Full Version : 10 Minute Space Strategy

KieronGillen
26-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I haven't time to do a post pm this, so I figured I'd give you guys a nod here if you fancy filling an afternoon with some micro 4Xing. Picked this up from Qt3...

http://goblinlunatics.blogspot.com/

Basically, a shortform 4X game. The "10 Minutes" is not really true - it's about 45 minutes or so on basic settings for me - but it's just a 4X game, cut right down to the bone. Random tech trees, galaxies, players and the ability to build your races' special abilities. Main reservations?

1) It would be improved with some manner of score system.
2) It would be improved with a slightly snazzier YOU WIN! screen. At the moment, you just get a "X PLAYER DIED" when you defeat them, and you can continue the game.
3) The pop-ups are pretty good, but don't really explain everything in the game. Bombing and Sieges are pretty abstruse until you're playing for a bit (In short: you leave bombers there until the enemy population is reduced to zero. Also, if you're in orbit, you'll lose attrition from your fighters and bombers - meaning you need a sizeable force to just annihilate a planet).

It could also be expanded in a few ways, but... well, if you do that, you rapidly just become a normal full size 4x game, which is kind of missing the point.

KG

Icarus
26-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the link, KG, this looks pretty fun. Downloading this now, I'll give it a go later.

J-snukk
26-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh, this does indeed give my nethers a tingly sensation, downloading now.

Ansob
27-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I was eyeing GalCiv 2 and SotS while they were on sale recently precisely for the features this one seems to have - I can't tell from their site if this is MP only or SP only or a mixture of both, though?-

Alex Bakke
27-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I was eyeing GalCiv 2 and SotS while they were on sale recently precisely for the features this one seems to have - I can't tell from their site if this is MP only or SP only or a mixture of both, though?-

SP only, I think.

Rhontos
27-06-2011, 11:24 PM
You can play multiplayer via hotseat.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
27-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I was hoping for some manner of 4x Desktop Dungeons. Will be trying this out later to see what its like.

arathain
28-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks, Kieron, that was fun. Nicely streamlined with some good ideas.

QuantaCat
28-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Hmmm. If someone manages to do a STARS remake with good AI and diplomacy, then it is teh wins, sir.

Although Space Empire 5 came VERY close.

EDIT: also, good to see games coming out of the old country. Since I live in austria, it should be clear what I meant NUDGE NUDGE

frightlever
28-06-2011, 02:47 PM
SE5 was awful. SE4 was ace but 5 mucked about with all that pseudo 3D nonsense to the detriment of the UI and at a wicked cost to the time it took to process turns. Stars! was brilliant but apparently I can't play it any more as I'm on W7. Loved the resource scavenging in that game.

The Innocent
28-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm loving this. It'll be a great game to play during lectures!

Thanks Kieron!

QuantaCat
28-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Didnt try 4, but 5 was wonderful. I just never found anyone to play with me, since its non-OS X.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
28-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Have played two games of this. A default with just 1 other person (Mistake, too small and short) and the the biggest with the most (Mistake, too long and dragged out, shows the AI weakness). However, it is a good game. I enjoy the techs you have, figuring out the best way to go. Reminds me a lot of MOO1, a great game indeed.

solipsistnation
28-06-2011, 09:52 PM
It looks nice and pretty polished, but BOY it needs some documentation or a tutorial or something.

str
06-07-2011, 08:38 AM
hi guys,

thank you for your comments and feedback! :)

we released v1.02 yesterday, there are a lot of bugfixes and french translation in it.
download & enjoy: http://goblinlunatics.blogspot.com

lunarplasma
06-07-2011, 09:09 AM
hi guys,

thank you for your comments and feedback! :)

we released v1.02 yesterday, there are a lot of bugfixes and french translation in it.
download & enjoy: http://goblinlunatics.blogspot.com

Hot damn. I enjoy this game. :)