View Full Version : [AAR] Tactical Tuesday 04/07/2012 - Indifferent Explosions

Wolfenswan
04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Missions played:

Feruzablues

Internecine II

Blazing Derricks

(Testing Session) Scapegoats

We peaked at about 59 players. Will wrote more when I'm not that horribly tired. For now: your words!

Borklund
04-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Feruzablues
Alpha SL. We advanced west, then proceeded to knock out a military compound between Anar and Feruz. We then headed into Feruz. All in all it was a great success, we only took light casualties and killed a lot of enemy. This mission highlighted the need for people to follow communication guidelines. It should NOT be OK to use side chat VON, ever, even if Charlie SL doesn't have cc set up. Also, for the commander to take his role seriously.

Internecine II
OPFOR Echo FTL. Very confusing, as always. My fireteam died pretty quickly, I somehow managed to get way north of my team only to get downed by someone I killed. Hilariously got revived by his buddies who did not realise that I was on the other team. Shot at but only downed the man that revived me, before I was killed by his mates. Should have waited and killed them all when they weren't looking.

Blazing Derricks
MAT lead. Started off slow, then all of a sudden people are shouting about elite BLUFOR troops with NVGs, tanks and multiple Apaches. Managed to knock out a humvee, then saw little action until I took a pot shot at a low flying Apache. I hit it, and it crash landed near Alpha's position. Died while making my way over to the HAT team, who were trying to take out an M1 tank. there were something like two dozen infantry around it.

Halop
04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Feruzablues
Alpha Medic. Was following Borklund the entire mission, shooting baddies, healing friendlies. Everything went smooth, until the end where I was killed by an SPG. At the start of the mission i realized that nobody could hear me on VON, turns out my webcam interfered with my mic, fixed that, so on sunday when I was FTL in one mission, I was giving orders to myself it seems.

Internecine II
Opfor Charlie FTL. Confusing? More like an instant death. Charlie had to invade from the north-west. It was an open field. Some guy spotted us and lobbed a grenade from an AK in my face, kudos for hitting from so far away!

Blazing Derricks
Alpha 2 FTL. Alpha was approaching its entry point to the compound, in cover. We saw 2 squads of infantry and 2 humvees around. When shots started firing, alpha popped a lot of smoke to advance to the derricks, that looked very awesome. In a few minutes alpha1 was massacred completely, alpha 2 lost one man and alpha 3 was down half strength.
We blew up both humvees, killed the infantry and destroyed the first few derricks. Unaco the SL reported injured and the revive script bugged out for his medic. I ran to his position and revived him, but then the Apaches came. Stuff happened, we destroyed we more derricks then an explosion killed me, my fireteam and the SL.

Scapegoats
Opfor alpha. We were the guys driving the SUV, for the exchange with Indies. We drove the the meeting point with bravo for cover, half way bravo left us, and we were at the meeting point, alone. Turned off all lights and waited for the Indies, who reported that they will be late. Heard the chopper multiple times. A very long time later, the Indies arrived. I greeted the "boss" of Indies, the one with the Golden AK. He didn't say anything, I asked about the hostages, then I recieved full auto from a golden AK and died.

Labbes
04-07-2012, 10:29 AM
There was one thing I wanted for this TT: Try not to die (as much) due to my own stupidity. For the most part, that worked rather well. Apart from...
Feruzablues: Where I fell out of the helicopter because it had started to go up again. I will never finish dinner while playing a mission ever again! Also I realized a moment too late that there should be a "get out" above the "eject". Some mistakes you only make once.
Edit: Joe playing Rambo was probably the best thing I watched that day, right next to killa driving off with the hostage.

Internecine II: Was wounded while approaching the town from the south, I believe, but got healed back up again. I shot a guy "on the top floor", too bad there was another guy on the floor above the top floor (i.e. the roof) where we didn't check! Received a clean headshot minutes later.

Blazing Derricks: Bravo 3 was reduced to two people before even blowing up the first derrick. We managed to make our way closer to the second derrick when the damn chopper landed next to us (although there was a derrick ruin as cover in between). I got shot by someone, but my remaining squaddie (I don't remember the name, apologies) managed to get me back up. He got shot some time later and I took cover with Charlie squad near the helicopter, rejoining what was left of Bravo as soon as the area was clear. I gave Blob cover while he blew up another derrick, but on our way to the next one I got shot while behind a derrick ruin. Still not sure whether that was friendly fire or not, as the shots came from behind me, where it should have been clear.
This mission was amazing.

Scapegoats:1522 Running around with Issus was hilarious, when we checked the village for hostages we couldn't see a thing and there were so many civilians...the hostages could have hidden anywhere they wanted.

SuperÜ
04-07-2012, 10:34 AM
My main highlight was testing scapegoats being one of the hostages, after a quite trip after no one interacting with the hostages we decided to get out and stretch our legs whilst the transport idled. Once getting out the truck drove off without us! This video illustrates it better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Eh482Gphg&sns=em

Joe_Robins
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Feruzablues
MMG Assistant, My first ever Tactical Tuesday! :) Initially me and the MMG stuck around with the CO providing general fire support for the advancing squads. Quite a few enemy infantry dotted around but mostly out of effective range. On a nearby hill sporting a downed blackhawk, Alpha team started taking heavy fire and I saw all manner of explosions appearing on the hill. I then got the orders through that the MMG was to move up and support Alpha. After moving up to Alpha we circled round the hilltop and set up position firing down into the valley below. A squad of enemy infantry popped up on our right flank but luckily I had that covered (good call Black Mamba). We then moved up to crest a hill and started taking a crazy amount of what appeared to me as RPG fire? I reluctantly hung around with the MMG feeling that my death was imminent. it was.

Internecine II
If I recall correctly I was on the Independants side for this one, I was in Alpha and tasked with defending the western half of town. me and Pelican? hunkered down in the furthest building to the west, It was a pretty nice two story building but had limited visibility to the west and south, south west. It wasnt until the enemy had already moved past the building that I had my first real chance to put some effective fire down, taking out two guys that had found the other half of Alpha. We started taking heavy fire from the south of town at this point and I was struggling to work out friend from foe. I ended up getting shot in the face.

Blazing Derricks
Alpha 3 Automatic Rifleman. We set out with a satchel charge each, Alpha were to move around to the north east of the oil rig field and attack from there. It all happened very quickly but I remember hearing the call to advance after we had laid smoke all over the entrance that was covered by enemy bunkers. We were taking heavy fire all the way in and I finally made it to the front of one of the bunkers. It was at this point that I realized I hadn't heard from my FTL in some time. I quizzed through my VON, the silence in response confirmed my fears. I declared myself FTL and called out to the rest of the fireteam to find out their status... again silence. I was the only person left from Alpha 3. Reporting to Alpha lead it turned out that we had taken very heavy casualties and effectively formed into a single fireteam with the remains of Alpha. Stealing NV goggles from the dead infidels, We set about planting the satchel charges on the oil wells. After planting two charges we fell back to a small compound and set off the fireworks. 2 down, but many more to go in Alpha's sector. We did a quick equipment check and discovered that we had no more charges left. Me and one other guy were sent back to Alpha's entrance point to scavenge from our dead comrades. On the way over I scored a backpack from another infidel and proceeded to fill it up with explosives. At which point Apache helicopters flew in. APACHE HELICOPTERS!!!! Ignoring them as best I could, I headed back to the Alpha group reporting in that I had secured a crap tonne of explosives. We had taken a huge beating and things were desperate as hell but we still had hope, we still had a crap tonne of explosives. I honestly believed that we could potentially get through this. We had made it this far, infantry seems pretty spread out and getting from oil well to oil well could have been relatively easy. Except that was when the tanks appeared. TANKS! it was at this point that my luck ran out.

Overall this was my favorite mission of the night. It was a massacre, true... but the glory of stealing NV goggles and recovering the backpack full of explosives was incredibly fun. And looking around at the burning oil wells, I say we did pretty well under the circumstances. I would suggest reduction of the amount of enemy that have NV (but not completely) and a change to the composition of the Armoured forces.. those guys were like Mike Tyson turning up to a school playground scrap.

Scapegoats
Indie Charlie, Our task was to defend the Indie base, which proved to be super uneventful. it was incredibly dark so I ended up switching my HDR settings to very high and upping my gamma and brightness (DayZ tactics) just to be able to make out the buildings. We messed around with a bus and some C4. With no guarantee that the enemy would even show up things started getting a little weird. At one point I was convinced I had spotted a jeep cresting a hill to the east. Turned out it was a bush.. with a star behind it. We ended up getting attacked at the end and fired a few shots, think I killed someone.. all in all it was a little too slow and WAY too dark.

All in all, excellent night of gaming :) I had previously dismissed Arma2 multiplayer but having a group like this makes the world of difference.

Labbes
04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
My main highlight was testing scapegoats being one of the hostages, after a quite trip after no one interacting with the hostages we decided to get out and stretch our legs whilst the transport idled. Once getting out the truck drove off without us! This video illustrates it better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Eh482Gphg&sns=em

I apologise for not talking to you more, but I couldn't hear you most of the time (even after cranking VON up to max) and I have mic problems, so I guess you couldn't hear me sometimes :) Also people talked in mumble all. the. time.
After watching it from your perspective, I'm even more puzzled. I could've sworn you got out some time later, when we stopped again. I guess with all the people talking in mumble, I just didn't hear you guys get out! It was pretty hilarious when I could finally see something in the truck again...and you weren't there. Joe didn't take it so well :D

peonic
04-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for letting me tag along. I managed to screw up in some way on basically every mission. The guy that didn't get out of the helicopter on Feruzablues - yeah that was me. The guy who blew himself up on Blazing Derricks, yeah - that was me too.

The guy that sat back in his base defending for an eternity on Scapegoats, only to accidentally kill his last remaining teammate when the attack finally came, yeah - also me (so sorry Aqarius, you spooked me!).

Excellent fun, and I look forward to tagging along again next week - I'll be better next time, I promise!

airtekh
04-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Not a great session for me. I spent most of my time as a pretty butterfly.

Feruzablues
Charlie 2 AR

Fell out of the insertion chopper and didn't survive impact with the ground. Embarassing. Spent the entire mission spectating.

Internecine II
Independent Delta AAR

We took up residence in two seperate buildings south of town. I climbed up onto a roof and lay down, watching the Southern approach. Spotted enemies approaching from a long way off. Ordered to hold fire. OPFOR started getting very close, had a bunch of them in my sights and told my FTL but still had orders to hold fire. Shortly after I was spotted by OPFOR and they opened fire on me. Managed to duck behind cover, but was gunned down when I attempted to return fire. Frustrating, since I could have easily taken out at least two of them had I been allowed to fire, but orders are orders I guess.

Blazing Derricks
Bravo 2 AAR

We approached the Eastern edge of the compound and spotted a bunch of enemies guarding the entrance. We all went prone and started to get into firing positions. The order was given and wiped out all of the guards. Unfortunately our AR didn't survive the initial contact so I was ordered to pick up his PKM. We continued into the compound and we provided covering fire for our FTL who went to blow up a derrick. Once that was down, we spotted another derrick and our AT guy took his satchel charge to blow it up. He was successful, but he also managed to catch himself in the blast! Bravo 2 now down to two members, we proceeded further inwards and planned to make use of the two satchels I had picked up. Unfortunately by this point our Squad leader had been killed and (I think) our communication with the commander was cut off. We weren't sure what to do so next, and my FTL was killed shortly after. I didn't have a clue which direction the bullets came from and so I was gunned down as well. Bravo 2 managed to take out two derricks total, so not a bad effort from us.

SuperÜ
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I guess with all the people talking in mumble, I just didn't hear you guys get out! It was pretty hilarious when I could finally see something in the truck again...and you weren't there. Joe didn't take it so well :D

I would recommend next time more of the none important mumble chat be put through direct even if it's just for the hostages sake. I saw him rage quit which was unfortunate, but in fairness we had about 5 or 6 changes in which we could have deliberatly escape, one of these involved takeing the two AKs that were stores in the truck. So I think we played fairly as hostages.

Labbes
04-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe it would make sense to split at least Indie into different mumble channels and use cc, it wasn't actually my fire team talking so much, but the talk between the fireteams. That way, communication between hostages and indies would be much better.
Also I think you played fair, you could've escaped so many times and the time you did, you even announced it. I hope you didn't take my accusations later seriously, that was all in-character ;)

EBass
04-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Feruzablues
Alpha 1 AAR, did things fairly by the numbers. Our squad went West to flank Feruz Abad and came upon a few small squads of enemies, which we dealth with without undue problems. Cresting the hill down into Feruz Abad we found a lot of our work had been done for us, and I had to content myself with knocking off a DSKH gunner down in the valley and a few peons millng about. Eventually got up to the north to find a total cluster-f**k with everyone milling around not really sure what to do, and the CO who apparently hadn't read the briefing bulleting out of town with the hostages in tow.

Internecine II
Delta FTL, probably one of my best performance in an adversarial with 7 Kills. Advanced on the village from the East, as we were advancing down a gulley I saw some Indie units running into position in the area we were about to occupy, yelling contact to my squad. I quickly wasted a couple of them and then chucked my two grenades into areas I thought I'd seen two others occupy. Splitting my squad into two groups I managed to flank their position and kill them too. Moving my squad forward towards the village came into contact with another two people behind a wall, managed to kill one and then grenade the other, before executing him as he was squirming about. K

ept my squad in an ambush position in the small woods East of the village for a little while, and I managed to get one guy on the third floor of one building and my squadmates wiped quite a few more, decided to make a run for the village and managed to get inside the building where I killed one at which point I was promtly shot by someone watching the stairs.

Blazing Derricks
Charlie 1 FTL. Ok......... Might have made this one a bit tough, I'll remove most of the statics and the tanks in the next one. Managed to breach the defensive perimeter without too many casualties, though there was a humvee skylined against the ridge that was giving us some serious problems. I scavenged an AAR from one of our casualties and opened up on it from long range. Think I got the gunner, but couldn't be sure as it drove off. Broke the perimeter wall and my squad which was by now just myself and pirate blew up a couple of derricks. As we went deeper into the compound I think a bradley spotted me because I suddenly exploded.

Scapegoats
Blufor, after Head and myself had settled who would be the pilot (head) we had devised a plan to split up into two OPs of 2 man teams watching over the two roads. Unfortunatly as head was flying us over a mountain he crashed and the helicopter plouged into a mountainside. Luckily the game didn't seem to realise this, and after an eternity of waiting for Head to crash out the AI took over and randomly decided to lan on a mountaintop. Not believing our good luck I quickly disconnected and reconnected as the AI pilot and inserted our now 1 and 2 man teams at our OP positions.

No sooner had the second team been inserted than we heard that the first team had spotted the enemy moving West. I picked team 2 back up and headed back to team one, doing a sweep of the area on the way we noticed headlights down in the town of Sakhe. We tried to bottle Sakhe up and wait putting 2 men at the north of it and 1 man to the East. I landed the chopper in the south and approached the village on foot. As I crept up to the village I noticed about five armed and dangerous men coming towards me, requesting permission to engage I lobbed a grenade that miraculously went right on target and killed all of them. As I crept up I saw one more lying motionless in the road, so I shot him in the head.

A couple of minutes later I saw in the distance two contacts pegging it accross the hill, calling this in to my team who were very close, they advanced on the contacts, and discovered to our surprise it was the hostages. They called it in and I flew the chopper back over to them and picked them up. Apparently Indiefor had just completely forgotten about them and driven off, they had escaped by accident. After ferrying them back to base, I noticed I was right by the Opfor base. Figured seeing as one of my objectives was to blow the caches at this base up I might as well do it now. I didn't think any humans would be protecting it, cos they'd have had nothing to do for the last half hour, surely they'd have got bored?

Still, I slowly approached the base and noticed an OPFOR running to man the turret. Meh, probably an AI I thought so I shot him. Going upstairs into one of their buildings I saw another OPFOr running across a courtyard, I shot him too but this time he went into the wounded animation and started crawling, so there were players here apparently. As I looked about I suddenly head a deafening sound not two metres from my head. A mounted DSKH was on top of the building and I hadn't even seen it. My luck was in though, as the elevation of the gun meant all the shots were just hitting the ridge below the barrel and not me. Wasted the gunner. Someone else was firing in the base though, figure'd he was taking potshots at civilians he thought might be me, tracked the shots down to second story of a building and killed the guy.

Figuring that there couldn't possibly be more of them, I blew the cache and got back in my chopper at which point a Blufor victory was called. Huzzah.

Issus
04-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Feruzablues

Bravo 2 AAR. Shoutout to JimTheDog (aka "Dog 2") and the rest of the squad for being generally awesome. Not used to landing in a hot LZ, so it took me a while to get my head into the game as I ran from one imagined enemy vehicle to another. Finally settled down and followed my team on a sweep north, ultimately towards the mine.

Was a little worried when we were ordered to charge the complex alone, but amazingly we made it there intact whilst Bravo 1 who were providing cover got chewed up by a DShKM. Alas, we found ourselves up against a BTR without any AT, and had to hide in one of the warehouses. Managed to drag our FTL out of danger and fix him up, but soon we were down to two and had to be rescued by the UN.

Lots of confusion and lots of shooting afterwards, including the first insurgent paradrop I've ever come across.

Internecine II

Bravo again? We were told to hold the north of the village so we were away from a lot of the initial fighting. Tried to occupy a small building so I could cover as much of our blind spot to the NW as much as possible, but having to constantly dash between two windows was frustrating, and I knew I was probably an easy target. Didn't see any enemies until a superbly sighted headshot took me down (possibly through the window behind me?).

Blazing Derricks

Charlie 1 AAR? Crawled onto a ridge to prepare to fire on a bunker once the order was given, but couldn't get eyes-on in time. A HMMWV with a grenade launcher was engaging us, so we were ordered to disperse. I shuffled down into what I thought was defilade and instantly got hit by fire coming in from the west. Oops.

Pity, as the mission from then on looked pretty epic.

Scapegoats

Indie Bravo. Was in the trucks with the hostages - not sure if I've got VON set up incorrectly but I couldn't hear anything over direct, and the various communication issues from earlier in the night had made me too wary to talk on Mumble or any channel I wasn't familiar with (i.e. not Direct and Group) for fear of pissing people off. Literally spent half an hour staring at a black screen as various people crashed (vehicles and computers). Not that it was anyone's fault; I think it was a pretty frustrating time for all involved. I can't blame the hostages for running off. If I'd had a choice, I would've done it myself much sooner.

By that point it sounded as if Joe had had enough, so me and Labbes went out to ostensibly search for the hostages, which we should have realised the futility of. I was finding it hard to believe it was as dark outside as it was in the truck, and, after mistakenly firing at various running AI civilians, we finally decided to accept that this had just turned into a romantic midnight stroll with guns.

Opened up on a few passing cars without really knowing who they were - I figured by this point there weren't any Indies left alive outside our base other than us. Tried to gloriously charge into a village only to find there was no one there to greet me with the hot lead I'd been so looking forward to. Luckily I wasn't frustrated for too long, and a vehicle-mounted weapon finally allowed me some quality time to roll about underneath the stars before dying.

mike
04-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Scapegoats
Leader of the terrorists. I have to apologize to some people here. First of all to the men in charlie who I had forced to play with cars and explosive in base for the entire mission :P, and also to the OPFOR. It wasn't my intention to shoot you, but it was only at the meeting place Joe informed me that we lost our hostages. I knew I would get shot for showing up empty handed at an exchange, so I had no choice but to start shooting my way out of the meeting area.

Mission feedback:
- need more light (we had trouble getting out of the spawn area and my alpha team managed to crash 2 technicals into rocks)
- add the hostages to a certain group on GUER. Unfortunately no one in Bravo (the babysitters) had my addon to see who is in your vehicle and who is entering and leaving your vehicle, but since every man and his dog has sthud they would've spotted 2 icons moving away. Also the lack of light facilitated their undetected escape.
- the concept is cool, but it needs to be a bit more simplified for the opfor and guer.

EBass
04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Yea the problem with any nightime arma mission is that its always pretty much pitch black. Guess the best you can do is make weather good on a full moon? Maybe theres a way to set the mission at dusk or dawn and then "freeze" the time so the day night cycle doesn't happen.

Loved the mission though, great concept. Also SuperU that video was hilarious.

Black Mamba
04-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Feruzablues

MMG gunner. Managed to kill a few guys and a technical at the beginning, from the CO's Position, covering the differents squads approach to the first village. The fact that i had a big-ass scope on my MG helped quite a bit.
After that i called a few contacts, 900m away in the north. Took me around 75 rounds to kill two of them (Yes, i'm dead accurate). We were then taske with supporting Alpha, so i decided to take their righ flank and ordered my Assistant Joe Robins to watch my own right while i was cleaning the second village. Good call, as we we're quicly flanked but not surprised, and eliminated that threat quite quickly. After that, on a joint effort with MAT, we started taking out enemies in an enemy outpost. Did pretty wellat first, quickly eliminating a AA gun (MAT) and a technical plus a few baddies (myself). Then we got taken under sustained grenade and rockets fire. I managed to take that grenade launcher guy out, plus a DShK. I was desperately trying to locate that damn rocket launcher, too concentrated to order JoeRobins to move back to cover, when i was hit. I crawled back to MAT position, got told my assistant had just been killed, and then died a second later. I think Halop then took my weapon.
After what i watched Joe (Sulphur) go all rambo (teamwork's for pussies) and wipe out enemies all over the place, while Issus was locked in a hangar with a BTR just a few meters outside.

Internecine II

Attacking Delta, I think. Ebass fireteam. Got killed pretty early as i wounded a guy, his buddy returned fire. Headshot on his first bullet. After that i listened to Ebass yell orders at me, probably wondering why i was never in the place he expected me to be, for a few minutes. During which he superbly lobbed two grenades that wounded two defenders, who he finished a few seconds later.

Blazing Derricks

Alpha Teamleader. I couldn't see anything. Like, litterally. I still managed to lead my FT on the right flank of alpha, when the fireworks started. I followed the general assault and we came under heavy fire. I noticed a persistent muzzleflash on my right, took a few potshots at it, and it disappeared. Pretty sure it wasn't my kill though. After that i finally got my eyes on the entrance of the oilfield, fired two grenades, got to kill one or two guys. A short burst of .50 cal just wiped out all of Joe's A1 fireteam on my immediate left. As i was about to get there see if there was any survivors, i was informed one of my guys had been hit 20m behind me. I quickly asked for a sitrep from my guys while crawling back to him. The second i got to him i was shot in the back. I then watched JoeRobins, the only survivor of my fireteam, do quite a good job at infiltrating the compound, and killing baddies. I think Alpha was the first squad to be obliterated though.

Scapegoats

Blufor Lead. Plan was simple: try and locate enemy movements, and wait as Indies and Opfor would inevitably try and mess with the exchange. After what we would just kill the remaining baddies and finish the mission.
After a few adventures involving a chopper crash that obviously happened in another spatiotemporal dimension, i was dropped in Feruz Abad while the rest of my team was dispatched in Mulladost, to check for enemy traffic. I soon saw a human driven lada run over a british patrol just outside Feruz Abad, and as nothing was happening in Mulladost, ordered Ebass to pick up the team there and get back to me, while flying over the south to check for enemy presence. After a few more adventures involving an accidental paradrop in the middle of nowhere, we established something was happening in Sakhe. We surrounded the village and started to move in. As i was a little short on manpower, i suggested Ebass should ditch the chopper for now and help us on the ground. That paid, as he killed everybody in there with a grenade. We then located the hostages, who for some reason decided to throw grenades at me. Well, tried, at least. Ebass evacuated them to base, while we went out to loot a ride in the village. Unfortunately the technical we found was stuck in a tree. So i decided to move north on foot, while i gave Ebass authorization to raid the enemy base alone. We came across the remains of a confrontation: the SUV had burned, and we found 4 corpses there. Mission then quickly ended. Good plan. And fantastic stone-cold killer Ebass.

Last Mission (don't remember the name, the one with Blufor saboteurs and choppers)

We messed around a lot with the lights, almost all of my fireteam stacked up in the minaret over chopper charlie. Right from start, one of the blufor guys morphed into a sperm whale and tried to make friends with the ground.
After what we waited for ages, Pirate killed a guy, i think Ice got the second, and somebody killed the last. They never even got near the choppers and i didn't see anything.

All in all, i spent most of the session spectating. However i do feel better already at leading a fireteam, which is cool. Still need some more experience though.

Edit: As for the night problem, on of the solutions would be to have a full moon, a clear sky AND make sure the mission takes place during Summer. This does change a lot the visiblity. We didn't notice that as blufor in Scapegoats (as we had NVGs), but Blazing Derricks really was too dark before the first derricks started to burn (at which point i was long gone).

JimTheDog
04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Feruzablues

Bravo 2 AAR. Shoutout to JimTheDog (aka "Dog 2") and the rest of the squad for being generally awesome. Not used to landing in a hot LZ, so it took me a while to get my head into the game as I ran from one imagined enemy vehicle to another. Finally settled down and followed my team on a sweep north, ultimately towards the mine.

Was a little worried when we were ordered to charge the complex alone, but amazingly we made it there intact whilst Bravo 1 who were providing cover got chewed up by a DShKM. Alas, we found ourselves up against a BTR without any AT, and had to hide in one of the warehouses. Managed to drag our FTL out of danger and fix him up, but soon we were down to two and had to be rescued by the UN.

Lots of confusion and lots of shooting afterwards, including the first insurgent paradrop I've ever come across.

Bark Bark!

Getting dragged back into the Warehouse Of Death was the best thing ever. Very good run. :D

Halop
04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Scapegoats was completely pitch-black, as we were standing by the SUV's, we turned off all lights. It was so dark that I could not see my AK. Blufor could basically stand right next to us and we would not see them.

It wasn't my intention to shoot you, but it was only at the meeting place Joe informed me that we lost our hostages. I knew I would get shot for showing up empty handed at an exchange, so I had no choice but to start shooting my way out of the meeting area.
We kinda started suspecting something fishy was going on when your truck turned around and started driving away, alas there wasn't enough time to react, other than yell on mumble "ITS A TRAP"

Joseph-Sulphur
04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Yeah, sorry for losing my temper a bit on Scapegoats. I was already pissed off from the pathetic excuse for a mission that was Blazing Derricks, and this combined with having to play yet another idiotically dark mission, my PC crashing, and the cat walking on my keyboard I kind of lost my cool. It certainly wasn't the CHKilroy Dark Business type of experience I know we were hoping for. Also SuperU it seems from your video that you were talking on direct comms for most of the truck ride, I couldn't hear it at all. I agree 100% with Mike's feedback on scapegoats. Interesting concept. I think OPFOR and INDYFOR should have more options, like attacking the BLUFOR FOB or something.

EBass, I think you should either go back to the drawing board or scrap Blazing Derricks entirely. There really isn't any excuse for saying that the mission was ready to be played in the non-testing part of the session. It doesn't take a 60-player runthrough to see that it is tediously difficult in its current form.

BLUFOR had NVGs. My fireteam had to assault a fortified position with two .50s, two fireteams of US army soldiers, an armoured humvee and another humvee with a Mk19 that was also crammed with Special Forces (who have high AI skill and hyper accurate weapons). To get to the position we had to cross 30 metres of open ground. We couldn't see a fucking thing. Its incredibly easy to have a moonlight night where you can see 10 metres in front of you.

Missions like Garbagemen are very hard, but are also fun because the terrain gives you the opportunity to have some fun firefights and some actual goddam gameplay, like the epic battles we had in the wooded valley last time we played it. They wear you down slowly over a period of time rather than forcing you to slam yourself into a brick wall.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I wasn't trying to solo the Feruzablues or anything like that. I jipped in, and the squad I joined (Head's Bravo squad) was on the other side of town. I decided to skirt around and meet them at the mine. To my surprise I encountered an M2 technical and 10 guys on the way, which led to my cat and mouse gun battle. It was great fun, although I probably got a bit annoying in Mumble as I yelped about dudes overrunning my position.

Kefirz
04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Feruzablues
Charlie SL doesn't have cc set up.

Rubbish, our squad lead died and Blob should have taken over but he didn't have CC set up, so I as Charlie 2 took over, I heard everything on CC and responded, do you have tokens on? and Ok I might have not paid attention to something CO said, but still we managed to do the mission and follow the markers.

Sir Nutmangler
04-07-2012, 09:25 PM
EBass, that was me you killed at the end. I had no idea where you were it was so dark, All i could hear were your shots. I started shooting at (and into) civies cause I was so bored. Then you finally found me. I shot back with my glock a couple times but you got me. Defending the base in Scapegoats was horribly boring. I feel like playing the hosties would have been more exciting.

EBass
04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, sorry for losing my temper a bit on Scapegoats. I was already pissed off from the pathetic excuse for a mission that was Blazing Derricks, and this combined with having to play yet another idiotically dark mission, my PC crashing, and the cat walking on my keyboard I kind of lost my cool.

BLUFOR had NVGs. My fireteam had to assault a fortified position with two .50s, two fireteams of US army soldiers, an armoured humvee and another humvee with a Mk19 that was also crammed with Special Forces (who have high AI skill and hyper accurate weapons). To get to the position we had to cross 30 metres of open ground. We couldn't see a fucking thing. Its incredibly easy to have a moonlight night where you can see 10 metres in front of you.

Well Joe A) There aren't any special forces teams on the entire map so I don't know where you got that from. B) And no entry point has more than one static so I don't know where you got that from either. C) There are only two humvees in the entire compound which have totally different patrol routes, so you must have caused quite a stir when you got in.

I also don't know whats wrong with your PC but the mission really isn't that dark on mine, I can see everything fine with no night vision and when we tested it we didn't have anyone complaining about vision. The mission requires you to destroy at least 50% of the derricks and when I died we had destroyed over 40% of them, and we still had about 30 people alive at that point. So its hardly uncompleteable, it's supposed to be tough yes and I admit I perhaps made it too tough, but considering we nearly triggered the completion point I don't think the balance was that scewed. With our new playercount we've been steamrollering missions we used to fail fairly routinely so I wanted to give a challenge. Again considering we pretty much completed the mission I'd say I balanced it probably too tough but not ludicrously. Indeed even earlier in this thread we've had people saying it was their favorite mission of the night.

Remember about a month ago when we played one of Nullkigans missions where we had to assault a town which had about 4 BMPs some heavier tanks, numerous statics and we all died before we'd even got near the town? I didn't hear you whining on the forums then about "pathetic excuses" for missions. You're pissed off I get it, I didn't want to take the bait but maybe next time you could deal with it in a better manner than throwing grenades or rockets (whatever it was) at people, and making fairly unsubstantiated and thoroughly non-constructive attacks on other players missions that they've worked hard on in the forums.

EBass out.

EBass
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
EBass, that was me you killed at the end. I had no idea where you were it was so dark, All i could hear were your shots. I started shooting at (and into) civies cause I was so bored. Then you finally found me. I shot back with my glock a couple times but you got me. Defending the base in Scapegoats was horribly boring. I feel like playing the hosties would have been more exciting.

Actually I was going to say in my feedback of the mission, I'd scrap the base mechanic entirely. The only way its really feasible is either having large groups of AI defend it, or having players defend it. It's not really fair on those players who get picked just to sit in a window hoping someone will turn up for them to shoot.

Joseph-Sulphur
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Well Joe A) There aren't any special forces teams on the entire map so I don't know where you got that from.
The SOV humvees (the ones with Mk19s and M240s) have special forces in them.

B) And no entry point has more than one static so I don't know where you got that from either.
The point we attacked had two bunkers with M2sp

C) There are only two humvees in the entire compound which have totally different patrol routes, so you must have caused quite a stir when you got in.
There were 2 humvees there, we must have gotten unlucky if there are only two in the whole compound.

I also don't know whats wrong with your PC but the mission really isn't that dark on mine, I can see everything fine with no night vision and when we tested it we didn't have anyone complaining about vision. The mission requires you to destroy at least 50% of the derricks and when I died we had destroyed over 40% of them, and we still had about 30 people alive at that point.
People in my squad had the same issue. The others made it a decent way through, but only because a significant amount of the team died within 5 minutes of initiating the engagement. It isn't fun for the people who have to be the initial meatshields.

So its hardly uncompleteable, it's supposed to be tough yes and I admit I perhaps made it too tough, but considering we nearly triggered the completion point I don't think the balance was that scewed. With our new playercount we've been steamrollering missions we used to fail fairly routinely so I wanted to give a challenge.
Doesn't matter how many people we have, multiple Apaches and 3 TUSKS (4 if one of them wasnt upside down) is just too much stuff.

Remember about a month ago when we played one of Nullkigans missions where we had to assault a town which had about 4 BMPs some heavier tanks, numerous statics and we all died before we'd even got near the town? I didn't hear you whining on the forums then about "pathetic excuses" for missions.
That was Garbagemen, the one I cited in my post as the right way to do a really hard mission. The way we approach the town gives us an opportunity to actually get close to some enemies with cover. The BMPs coulndt hit us in the valley we approached in and we had a fun firefight with Russian infantry patrols.

You're pissed off I get it, I didn't want to take the bait but maybe next time you could deal with it in a better manner than throwing grenades or rockets (whatever it was) at people,
Wat? I didn't friendly fire anyone. I died like 5 minutes in.

and making fairly unsubstantiated and thoroughly non-constructive attacks on other players missions that they've worked hard on in the forums.

I'm just giving my honest opinion on the mission. It's nothing personal, I'm not trying to attack you.

I guess the wider point I'm trying to make is that just because we have 60 players now doesn't mean a hard mission has to entail 10 of them dying early on and having to sit out a long mission in the spectator script.

unruly
04-07-2012, 11:16 PM
While yesterday was my first TT, I'll have to agree with Joe that Blazing Derricks was too dark. I was the AT guy for my squad(can't remember which one) and kept being told "RPG, hit the humvee." to which my reply was always "I can't see 2 feet in front of me, let alone that humvee off in the distance." The enemy all having NVGs didn't help on the initial approach either, but once we got inside and were able to loot some NVGs ourselves it wasn't completely terrible.

Maybe I'm an exception or something, but on pretty much every night-time map I can't see anything at all. It doesn't matter if it's a full moon with clear weather, the best I can hope to see is the horizon line. Everything else just looks like it's made of black construction paper on a black background. There's absolutely no contrast anywhere but the skyline. And I've never, ever, been in a place that was that dark unless I'm deep in the woods somewhere. And yes, I have gone camping in places miles from any meaningful artificial light sources. I know that a large part of the darkness is that Arma is limited in its lighting, and doesn't have such helpful things as pupil dilation and light reflection that you'll find in real life, but that just means that night missions are completely terrible for me unless I have NVGs.

Halop
04-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I know that a large part of the darkness is that Arma is limited in its lighting, and doesn't have such helpful things as pupil dilation and light reflection that you'll find in real life, but that just means that night missions are completely terrible for me unless I have NVGs.
Actually Arma does simulate pupil dilation - if you walk around with NVG's in the night, and take them off, it will take a minute for your sight to adjust to the darkness, first it will be completely black. Same vice-versa, if you turn on NVG's during the day and take them off, you will be blinded.

Unfortunately, Armas HDR system loves to jump around randomly, like it happened for me during Derricks. When I approached the base, everything turned pitch black as there was one light source somewhere on the distance and the HDR focused on it. Only flares solved the light problem, but the burning derricks later on helped too.

Imho, remove those tanks and apaches, take away NVG's, make it a little brighter, and we have a great mission. As we were close to completing it, and those tanks and apaches were very demoralizing.

EBass
05-07-2012, 02:18 AM
The SOV humvees (the ones with Mk19s and M240s) have special forces in them..

You're right there, but seeing as theres one SOV humvee in the whole mission that makes 3 special forces guys in the whole mission. Seeing as they won't get out unless the humvee is knocked off (meaning most of the time they're knocked off too) I don't see that as a massive issue

Doesn't matter how many people we have, multiple Apaches and 3 TUSKS (4 if one of them wasnt upside down) is just too much stuff...

There was one M1A1 and one Bradley in the compound, I have no idea where you're getting 4 TUSKS from? Apaches were two, now reduced to one.

That was Garbagemen, the one I cited in my post as the right way to do a really hard mission. The way we approach the town gives us an opportunity to actually get close to some enemies with cover. The BMPs coulndt hit us in the valley we approached in and we had a fun firefight with Russian infantry patrols. ...

The point we attacked had two bunkers with M2sp

Which kind of proves that in many ways it wasn't the mission itself that was the problem in and of itself, it was the way it was approached. You know the best way to take those bunkers? Don't go straight at them, sneak up to the wall and then move along the wall to take them out at knife fight range. I've breached the perimeter killing loads of enemy many times doing this testing the mission.

I've just had a look at the mission and the only place where two M2s could possibly hit you is if you attacked right between the firing lines of two M2s that were about 400 metres apart covering different areas. I'm guessing you were attacking from the North East? Its hardly the mission makers fault if you choose to "attack across 30 metres of open ground" (your words) into the ONLY place on the entire map that can possibly be hit by two statics

Wat? I didn't friendly fire anyone. I died like 5 minutes in.

I thought it was you that tried to blow up Killa and our hostage in Feruz_blues or whatever its called, if it wasn't I apologise.

I'm just giving my honest opinion on the mission. It's nothing personal, I'm not trying to attack you.

Most people don't open constructive criticism with the lines "Pathetic piece of shit mission" or whatever you said, cba to look up the exact quote.

All in all I really don't think that one static per enterance and about 4 men should pose an insurmountable problem to a team of players. If you got caught out in the open by a humvee thats bad luck. But considering each team had an RPG man, and 400 metres is quite an easy shot they really shouldn't get off more than one burst. That said, I've toned down the difficulty for the next version.

Adynod
05-07-2012, 02:31 AM
This was my second (and a half) TT. I only caught the last half of Feruzablues and filling one of the jip slots I spent most of the mission catching up with the nearest fire team. I didn't really understand what was going on but I did see a bunch of dead paratroopers float sadly earthwards during the finale.

Internecine II saw me reluctantly take a FTL position in which I discovered 10 minutes in that my clip on mic had actually fallen to the floor and that no-one could hear me. Once I'd rectified that I was promptly shot in the face.

Blazing Derricks was insane but somewhat fun. Like Unruly, I was the RPG man (for Charlie 2 if I recall correctly) and after being commanded to take out a humvee all I could say was "where is it?". Definitely too dark for me and I'm loathe to crank the gamma up but I'm finding this a general Arma2 thing. Thankfully something lit the humvee up briefly on the horizon and I was able to take it out. I picked up a pair of NVG's a little later and was then shot in the face.

Scapegoats was actually a lot of fun for me, despite it being pitch black and not seeing a lot of action. I was a passenger in the rear SUV for OPFOR and after reaching the meeting point and sitting in the dark for an age listening to distant choppers, I watched a tense meeting between Halop and a man wielding a golden AK. Upon shooting my FTL in the face I opened fire on the golden AK before retreating to the trees where I died from an unknown source. It was the tension and anxiety that really made this one work for me but I feel for those stuck at base. It seemed to be over long before it actually was so maybe the win conditions should be tweaked so that if the hostages escape then that is the end? BLUEFOR having to take out the the weapon caches seemed a bit superfluous once the hostages had got to safety.

harakka
05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
A general comment about night missions, and some other things.
ARMA2's lighting system is a really fickle thing. This is compounded by users' variable graphics settings (shadows, post-processing, gamma) and the fact that lighting can change uncontrollably between clients because weather isn't synchronized. The HDR implementation isn't perfect either, since it goes off based on what the brightest bit of the image is, instead of using center of the screen as a reference or something.

What this all comes to is: please don't make middle of the night missions unless players have NV gear or the full moon is out with no chance of clouds. The darkness is just a pain for a large number of people and not a fun mechanic. If you want to have the darkness present a challenge, arrange for sources of general large-area illumination.

One example of this would be the automatic flares in latest version of Nightblind. Another related trick is to have the mission take place shortly before sunrise or sunset, so the conditions change during the course of the mission.

Btw keep in mind that the engine will only draw a limited number of dynamic light sources at once so burning wrecks, streetlights etc will not light the scene similarly for all players.

As for the back-and-forth going on in this thread:
As mission makers, you need to keep in mind the general feel of the ARPS/Folk sessions, and that the missions will not necessarily play out the way you've planned. If people complain, there is usually a good reason. The reason may not actually be the claimed thing but something else entirely that isn't immediately obvious, and it may require some detective work to find the real issue and how to fix it. Sometimes your idea or mechanic just doesn't work, then you scrap it, salvage what you can and move on.

As players, please try to be considerate, constructive and factual in your mission criticism. Mission makers put a lot of time and effort into trying to provide the players with enjoyable experiences, your comments are there to improve their ability to do so.
Ultimately not every run of every mission can be fun for everyone, but that's still the end goal here.

Joseph-Sulphur
05-07-2012, 09:26 AM
You're right there, but seeing as theres one SOV humvee in the whole mission that makes 3 special forces guys in the whole mission. Seeing as they won't get out unless the humvee is knocked off (meaning most of the time they're knocked off too) I don't see that as a massive issue

True. I glimpsed a guy with one of those special forces helmets bailing out before I got shot, but in hindsight I guess it was a crewman dismounting rather than an extra guy in the back seat.

There was one M1A1 and one Bradley in the compound, I have no idea where you're getting 4 TUSKS from? Apaches were two, now reduced to one.
I'm just going by what someone saw in the spectator script, I was alt tabbed at the time.

Which kind of proves that in many ways it wasn't the mission itself that was the problem in and of itself, it was the way it was approached. You know the best way to take those bunkers? Don't go straight at them, sneak up to the wall and then move along the wall to take them out at knife fight range. I've breached the perimeter killing loads of enemy many times doing this testing the mission.

I've just had a look at the mission and the only place where two M2s could possibly hit you is if you attacked right between the firing lines of two M2s that were about 400 metres apart covering different areas. I'm guessing you were attacking from the North East? Its hardly the mission makers fault if you choose to "attack across 30 metres of open ground" (your words) into the ONLY place on the entire map that can possibly be hit by two statics

Yeah, we were attacking from the north east. I was only an FTL so I just did what I was told. If we were in fact assault the worst possible location with two strongpoints in range and both humvees there, then the mission overall most likely isnt as difficult as it appeared to me from our point of view. We didnt just rush it, we got as close as we could using a wadi and then popped loads of smoke. Its just that since we had zero cover and no visibility we were either forced to get to the cover of the wall or slug it out with NVG-equipped BLUFOR ifantry, neither of which was destined to go well for us.

Most people don't open constructive criticism with the lines "Pathetic piece of shit mission" or whatever you said, cba to look up the exact quote.

I was a bit pissed off when I wrote that, I apologise if it offended you. Again, I'm not trying to insult you. Just calling it like I see it.

EBass
05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Imho, remove those tanks and apaches, take away NVG's, make it a little brighter, and we have a great mission. As we were close to completing it, and those tanks and apaches were very demoralizing.

Made mission happen on full moon night, all armour removed from vicinity except for two humvees, all statics removed, Apaches reduced to one. NVGs now come as standard on Opfor leads and on Blufor squad leaders and sentries but removed from all other Blufor.

I was a bit pissed off when I wrote that, I apologise if it offended you. Again, I'm not trying to insult you. Just calling it like I see it.

Which is fine, but you could have very easily called it like you saw it without pissing me off. I think you've made some legitimate criticisms and some not so legitimate.

I.e there are only two humvees which start on opposite side of the compounds and are waypointed to tour around the edge of the AO. The only place you could have been hit by two statics at once is in one very specific place, if you had two humvees and two statics firing at you thats a shitstorm of bad luck and a less than acute tactical approach. At each enterance to the compound theres a static and about 2-6 men. I really didn't think that would be too much for a player force.

That said I accept the point that statics are usually an insta death if you get hit and it might not be fun for a player to die in the first moments so I removed them.

Wth regard to the light, like I said I tested it on my PC very thoroughly so that with 1.0 brightness and 1.0 gamma you should have easily enough light to see the enemy even if it is a bit dim. The reason I didn't remove goggles from Blufor is so that players could loot them and those that didn't manage to get some would have their way lit up by the flaming oil derricks. Seeing as in testing I didn't receieve any complaints about the light level, I didn't change it. Now that I know some players have issues with it in the next version I've removed goggles from most of Blufor, given them to fireteam and squad leaders and made the mission take place under a full moon in perfect weather in the middle of summer.

I'm just going by what someone saw in the spectator script, I was alt tabbed at the time.

Ah those, if you read the mission briefing you'll notice that it tells you that the enemy sends armoured reinforcements from their Southern Airfield about 40 minutes after being spotted. You aren't really supposed to fight them (as it says in the briefing) they're just basically a way of saying "You've taken too long get out or die." Though I suppose seeing as we have like 6000 satchel charges and they arrive in column formation by road it wouldn't actually be too hard to completely waste them. Anyway

Black Mamba
05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
If you'll allow me a few more comments.

I was on Joe's fireteam's right side when we assaulted the AO. It might have been the CO plan that was flawed, but: we did came under fire from one machinegun in front of us (that i remember taking out with my M203). I could never tell if it was a .50cal or a M60 though (or even just a SAW). At the same time we seemed to have a humvee with a mounted M2 firing at us on our right. I could never see it, i just saw a machine gun muzzle flash and got told it was a humvee. And then Joe's fireteam was wiped out by some fire on our left side, definitely .50cal. Was way too far in the distance for us to see it. I then got killed, as i said before, shot in the back when crawling back towards a wounded guy in my own FT.

The point is i never even saw a single enemy. The two i took out were a lucky shot with the M203, as i definitely knew there were enemies in front of me.

I guess it was pretty frustrating having to lose more than two thirds of the alpha squad before even actually finding the entrance of the oilfield is all. And more frustrating even to die before having seen any enemy.
Maybe a s#@tload of flares given to FTLs would help a bit.

What i mean is the mission seemed balanced once our people got inside the oilfield, which did necessitate to loose a lot of people early on. Now, as said, it might just have been the location of Alpha that was wrong. But don't blame us for attacking in the worst location possible: we couldn't see shit, so didn't have a clue as to where the enemy was, which doesn't make it easy for the SL to effectively coordinate the attack. Plus, just maintaining a proper formation wasn't easy: i struggled a bit to find our place on the right flank of the squad, and A1 and A2 never could be in the right position (they were basically stacked upon each other; the minute they got away from each other A1 disappeared under fire).

Edit: Joe, i hope you didn't take my comment about you going all Rambo wrong. This was like the funniest stuff i got to watch during the session.

Head
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Regarding blazeing derricks, like other comments it was waaaaay too dark when we approached the entry point for alpha.

As we moved up we were spotted and two 50 cals , one possibly being a humvee start firing at us, caught out in the open in the blakness forced us to pop smoke and put some flares up. Still lost 2/3 of my sqaud from that 50cal humvee.

Tho had not that TUSK popped up at the end we might have made it. Not to mention my shitty maws skills in thirdperson wasn't helping(MAWS sights do not work with NV)

Unaco
05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
To add to the Blazing Derricks discussion, and the Night time missions thing, and what Harakka said above...

Night missions can work, and you can use the darkness as a mechanic. But, you do have to be very careful with the time/moon/amount of darkness. Whether it's an adversarial or coop, there should be a minimum level of light... people shouldn't be completely blind. Draakon spent several iterations of Generals trying to get the light levels right for that one, and whoever (wolf? harakka?) made the "Spetsnaz with very little ammo versus Patrols with the General getting ambushed and helicopter" adversarial, also went through a couple iterations to get the light levels right. Even in an adversarial, where one side has NVGs (and the advantage), a minimum level of light is still required for the other team... if they're totally blind, they're going to get slaughtered, and it's going to be no fun at all for them.

Another important thing, if you are making a night mission, is the terrain and layout of the mission. Nightblind is a good example of this. It works. It worked even before we had the flare barrage, when it was just the Sniper with NVGs and lights from the vehicles for light... because it's focussed down a valley, mountains on either side, directing us towards a town. We know which direction we're going, even in the dark. We know where the rest of the team are (vaguely), even in the dark. The darkness adds to the mission, and it's another hurdle for us, it leads to some confusion and chaos, but doesn't ruin the mission... we aren't constantly stumbling blind, because the mission/terrain etc focus us.

This is something I don't think Blazing Derricks takes into account. It's set over quite a vast area, it seems to encourage splitting the team (into A B C or whatever) and have them attacking/entering the compound/AO from different directions, which leads to confusion and more likely FF. Once we're in the AO, the spread of the objectives again encourages splitting up, so more confusion etc.

Combine that with the overkill of enemies, it really was a confusing experience. I had very little idea what was happening, what the plan was, what the objectives were even. It's a reasonable idea for a mission, but it does need some work before it fits into the TT way of things.

Joseph-Sulphur
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Which is fine, but you could have very easily called it like you saw it without pissing me off. I think you've made some legitimate criticisms and some not so legitimate.
Its just a mission. I can't really arsed to handle people's egos with kid gloves in situations like this. Still in hindsight it was a dickish way of putting it.

Ah those, if you read the mission briefing you'll notice that it tells you that the enemy sends armoured reinforcements from their Southern Airfield about 40 minutes after being spotted. You aren't really supposed to fight them (as it says in the briefing) they're just basically a way of saying "You've taken too long get out or die." Though I suppose seeing as we have like 6000 satchel charges and they arrive in column formation by road it wouldn't actually be too hard to completely waste them. Anyway

Oh, okay. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Edit: Joe, i hope you didn't take my comment about you going all Rambo wrong. This was like the funniest stuff i got to watch during the session.

Yeah no worries I was just thinking that maybe it might have seemed like I'd run off from my squad and done my own thing. I think I was more like Weird Al's Rambo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5_Z0LsPnE) than Stallone's though lol.

Bodge
05-07-2012, 07:07 PM
So from this we can establish that

1. The mission was hampered by the fact it was dark - look at changing this
2. Some people had some bad luck/timing - look at reducing the chance of this happening
3. Some people were frustrated with early death - perhaps look at altering troop placement/numbers
4. People were unsure of proceedings - Look at simplifying briefing or map markers.
5. People need to improve their tone to aid discussion rather than argument - Buck up and proof read it.

Joe_Robins
05-07-2012, 10:25 PM
IEdit: Joe, i hope you didn't take my comment about you going all Rambo wrong. This was like the funniest stuff i got to watch during the session.

+1

That was a fantastic effort, it was pretty harrowing to be able to see the sheer volume of enemies swarming around you. Great that you managed to stay alive.