PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine removed from UK Steam Store.

Axyl
27-06-2011, 12:36 AM
As the title suggests, the game is missing from the UK Steam Store (http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/?cc=gb).
US Steam Store (http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/?cc=us) for comparison.

Why? What the heck is going on lately with Steam and us Brits?

Homefront (not that I care about that one, but it's the principal), Brink and now the one game I'm more eager to play than ANY OTHER GAME EVER**, apart from DMO next year...Space Marine. All vanished from the UK Steam Store.
Oh, and during EA Week, the Crysis Complete Pack wasn't available on the UK Store either.

Can anyone shed any light on why? And what can we do to stop this.

Please excuse the incoming obscenities, but I am getting sick and fucking tired of being treated like shit for being a UK PC Gamer.

** Started playing Computer Games (not console) aged 8 with a Speccy 48k. Started playing 40k TT aged 11, 1200 pt Salamanders SM army, MK6 standard armor. This game combines my two earliest and longest standing passions. Throw in my love for Online Gaming, and that explains my excitement for DMO

Creeping Death
27-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Sigh, really?

I have no idea why Steam has been doing this so much lately, but it is really frustrating...

Cable
27-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not from the UK but this does seem pretty ridiculous and even when the questions have been asked as far as i've seen no answers have been forthcoming, it seems really strange. Also Salamanders are awesome!

8-bit
27-06-2011, 12:53 AM
didn't EA say that crysis 2 was taken down because of some contract issue? I don't think it was ever confirmed but perhaps that is one of the reasons, or possibly something to do with rivals setting up their own services. either way I think there is something going on behind the scenes here that we don't know about, too many games being taken down from steam lately for there not to be.

but hey at least we get good prices from GOG right, I mean thats something at least.

Creeping Death
27-06-2011, 12:56 AM
@8-bit: Space Marine is a THQ published game from Relic, though. Who, so far, have had a fairly good relationship with Steam (even using steamworks in their last game) and no distribution service of their own. So I really can't think of why it would be removed from Steam. Hell, up to this point I expected Space Marine to use steamworks too.

Crysis 2 was removed due to crytek invalidating their contract with Steam due to dlc issues as far as I understand it.

Edit; Yea, seems the game does require Steam (http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/2884/wh40k-space-marine-pc-specs-released-steam-required/), so I guess Steam is just being dickish to their UK customers... again.

Ah well, I'll just do the same as I did with Darksiders in this situation. Pick it up stupidly cheap at retail :P

8-bit
27-06-2011, 01:02 AM
well no they don't have a service of their own but that wouldn't stop a company like EA (or microsoft) trying to get some kind of exclusive is what I was getting at.

edit: its still up on the other major services too so there goes that idea. I wonder if we will see a banner on D2D in the next few days saying "not available on steam" like with the other games.

Oak
27-06-2011, 01:17 AM
With the 1812 bicentennial nearing, anti-British sentiment is gaining a lot of traction here in the states. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is doing this purely out of spite.

soldant
27-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Hello friend, your colony Australia says "Welcome to our world!"

We have to put up with the same thing, along with ridiculously inflated prices on some games. Strangely, the game is still available here in the Australian Steam store, so maybe it's just a bug or oversight and will be restored soon? I can't think of any reason why it'd be removed for the UK store.

allanschnorr
27-06-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm not British, but from what I've heard, this is the reason some games are not available in Steam UK: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/11/retailers-say-steam-is-killing-the-pc-market-threaten-steam-ban/

RobF
27-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Isn't this the 5th time THQ have done this now?

Axyl
27-06-2011, 02:54 AM
I would love for the RPS guys to get their teeth into this one...
I gave up on retail years ago, due to the PC section being limited to one tiny lil corner vs a shopful of consolefuntoystationbox games. A VERY familiar story, I'm sure.
I like Steam, hell..I can even tolerate the godawful pricing due to buying most of my games during sales.

But I just want to get my games from Steam. I have the odd title here and there from Impulse, Desura etc etc, but they remain largely unplayed, because I just can't be bothered to have yet another app running.
Again, a very familiar story, I'm sure.

Honestly, the whole bloody situation makes no sense.
I just wanna play my game. :(

RobF
27-06-2011, 03:10 AM
I suspect no-one wants to say a word on this so I doubt RPS would get very far.

When Brink disappeared I wrote a polite email to Bethseda pointing out that the removal has cost them sales and really, that's the best you can probably do right now. Contact THQ or Bethseda or whoever else has entered into this "we'll remove our titles from Steam for xMonths in the UK" deal and call them on it, letting them know they've lost a sale. Politely, obviously.

Sadly, the general end result of these things is that I'm less likely to trust them as a publisher whilst they pull stunts like this. I'm sure I barely make a dint in their figures but y'know, it certainly doesn't make me go "oh, well, I'll just nip over here and buy it here instead" as is probably the intention.

The JG Man
27-06-2011, 03:50 AM
Space Marine, for me at least, hasn't been viewable for quite some time now. Around E3 time I think. I remember seeing it up for pre-order and then it just wasn't. I was probably going to get it at retail anyhow, but that's not really the point.

Also, I was also able to get the Crysis 1 pack during the EA sale, so I don't know what occurred there?

Ignorant Texan
27-06-2011, 06:09 AM
THQ does have an online store, with Digital River also being involved.

http://store.thq.com/store/thq/DisplayHomePage

There has been a recent site redesign with offers of 'chances to win' stuff if you take a survey(first one is for 5 games of your choice, the second is for a $25 Best Buy gift card), so perhaps THQ is heading towards EA's Origin model(EA Store used Digital River, Origin does not).

Now as to what, if anything, this has to do with the UK Steam store not currently listing WH40K:SM, while being available from other digital stores, I honestly do not know. I'd guess that Steam's dominance of the digital download pre-order market is the reason, but that is mere speculation on my part.

thegooseking
27-06-2011, 06:23 AM
It's all bullshit, really. GAME decimated their PC shelf space because they thought there was no market, not because they couldn't compete with Steam. Now Steam has shown that there is a market, and GAME wants a piece of the pie it rejected. Now, I'm no economist, but if you ask me, of the two actions of adding an (admittedly proprietary) added-value service layer on top of PC games or choking off the supply of PC games, which one is "killing the market"? Well, I'm sure I don't need to spell it out.

rsherhod
27-06-2011, 07:31 AM
High-street shops haven't been any good for PC games in ages, but online retailers are OK. In fact the likes of Play.com, GamePlay.co.uk (very good for second hand consoles by the way) and a plethora of others often have better prices at release than the digital distributors.

With the 1812 bicentennial nearing, anti-British sentiment is gaining a lot of traction here in the states.

Really? Makes me kind of proud.

Vexing Vision
27-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I am fascinated.

Here in German, it's still on Steam - I just checked. Also, our gaming stores have huge PC gaming shelves. They don't really look threatened by digital retailers, you know.

Seriously though, when coming back from a few years of Ireland/UK, seeing the PC gaming shelves here in Germany made me cry a little tear of joy. Personally, I still largely prefer a real, physical copy of a game.

Icarus
27-06-2011, 09:25 AM
It disappeared from the UK steam store on the exact day that preorders became available for the rest of the world, annoyingly.

Estel
27-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Another game? This whole matter is distinctly ridiculous; but it's surprising that there hasn't been any widespread reporting on this matter for any of the games this has happened to. Couldn't a respectable organ like RPS get some concrete excuses from a publisher and call them out for being stupid? The last that we "officially" heard about the Brink withdrawal was that Splash Damage were "looking into" the matter.

Ravenger
27-06-2011, 10:33 AM
It's all bullshit, really. GAME decimated their PC shelf space because they thought there was no second hand market, not because they couldn't compete with Steam.

There, fixed that for you. :)

Teddy Leach
27-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm getting sick of Valve.

Icarus
27-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm getting sick of Valve.

I suspect the hand of THQ more than that of Valve, but I acknowledge that you may have a point.

Kadayi
27-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I think basically it's a case that big uk retailers like Tesco simply won't stock games that are tied into Steam. I noticed recently when Portal 2 came out, albeit you could buy it for 360 & PS3 as the chart topper it wasn't even listed in the PC gaming chart, same with Duke Nukem. Pretty shitty, but I'm not sure there is much that can be done about it given the retail clout of the firms like that.

Also I suspect that the reason no ones discussing it is down to the plain fact that no publisher wants Tesco to blacklist them entirely, so thus they aren't going to comment on it.

Also, this has nothing to do with Valve and everything to do with aggressive retail.

Creeping Death
27-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I think basically it's a case that big uk retailers like Tesco simply won't stock games that are tied into Steam. I noticed recently when Portal 2 came out, albeit you could buy it for 360 & PS3 as the chart topper it wasn't even listed in the PC gaming chart, same with Duke Nukem. Pretty shitty, but I'm not sure there is much that can be done about it given the retail clout of the firms like that.

And yet Shogun 2 has sat happily in their chart for some time.

I find it hard to believe being blacklisted by Tesco is something a publisher fears, considering they can take a week or more to get new titles on the shelf after release date these days they aren't exactly vital to bringing in those all important week 1 sales.

I'd really like to see RPS checking this Steam situation. I've sent a few e-mails myself but, being just a lowly paying customer, I imagine I will be largely ignored :P

Kadayi
27-06-2011, 01:08 PM
And yet Shogun 2 has sat happily in their chart for some time.

Well that is the anomaly. Though it might be case that Tescos don't realise it's tied into Steam, or this is a more recent embargo on their part.

Also given that back in 2005 1 in 8 pounds UK was passing through Tescos I wouldn't underestimate their power as an organisation to dictate the UK retail scene. If anything they are even more financially entrenched these days. Hell for a long time Apple were opposed to selling their phones through them as it didn't fit their image, but ultimately they caved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005/oct/07/consumeraffairs.supermarkets

The interesting thing is to see whether DXHR makes it to the store shelves as the leak certainly is tied into Steam. I wonder whether that will still feature at retail, or whether it will be withdrawn.

Rii
27-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Do EU competition/consumer protection laws not enter into this? What about domestic law?

The JG Man
27-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Well if it's a case of publishers choosing who to sell to, that's not really a problem for the law. They might have a go at Steam, who could reply that they only put up what publishers want them to put up; I appreciate it's nowhere near as simple as that, but it's different to Microsoft that there is plenty of choice still available for getting PC games, be it from retail, online ordering or DD.

This problem is only going to get progressively exaggerated when HMV inevitably fails. Only the larger supermarket shops themselves have any PC games, meaning you'll either need to go to one of the bigger shops or GAME/Gamestation, who have about 4 PC titles between them that are not very well priced. I think PC gamers are a little more savvy about where to get games from, either because they play games where they pretty much have DD shoved in their face so they might open up to the idea, or because shops sell so few PC games, they have to look around anyhow. Something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Interesting that this seems to be localised to the UK. How did it get from having decent PC game stock to just falling apart at retail? And why are certain publishers trying to buck this trend so poorly? Even if it's not desirable, surely it's better to have your product where it's actually visible?

Kadayi
27-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's a case of publishers not wanting to sell, more a case of some powerful UK high street retailers refusing to stock games associated with Steam on the grounds that it's advantaging a rival (which it technically is to be fair). Plain truth of the matter is though PC bricks and mortar is on its last legs and has been going down that route since Sony and Microsoft aggressively heavily promoted their consoles and pushed PC gaming to the side lines. It used to be that you could walk into a GAME and there would be hundreds of PC titles old & new to buy from, but nowadays with the recession stores are all generally running on low stock and you're lucky to find anything out side of the chart (though the charts are based on prediction more than anything else).

I think by and large UK PC gamers have largely transitioned over to buying their games either digitally, or from e-tailers such as Play & Amazon (we go where the best price is). However a lack of high street presence in terms of the PC as gaming platform could well be detrimental to the player base in the long term if it persists.

My inclination is, that Microsoft, Activision and EA who all do have some stake hold in maintaining the PC as a relevant platform might well apply some pressure to UK retail at some point.

The JG Man
27-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Either way, interesting to see how this one develops. And subsequently, I'm still keeping a hawk-eye out for cheap SM deals. Hopefully it's a Steamworks title (just like DoW: Retribution) so I can add it to Steam anyhow...presumably it'll be addable with the key, even if it's not available to buy in the region?

Duality
27-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Pfft, Game et al can spit their dummy out and scream all they want - they won't be getting my business. I will purchase titles unavailable on the Steam store boxed through Amazon. Usually cheaper anyway.

Ice-Fyre
27-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Who sets the price for steam games anyway? I've seen loads of people say the dev's, but then people like Sigames say they sell it at a fixed price to steam and Valve sets the price

Ignorant Texan
27-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I would assume that since multi-player will be through the respective networks for the consoles, and since there are Steam achievements( http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/) that the PC version will use Steamworks for multi-player.

Sounds like our UK brothers are, once again, trapped in the midst of some hissy-fit on someone's part.

Kadayi
27-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Who sets the price for steam games anyway? I've seen loads of people say the dev's, but then people like Sigames say they sell it at a fixed price to steam and Valve sets the price

It's set by the developers publishers. Valve just take a % cut. Reckoned to be around 30% which is fairly comparable to a retailer cut. The reason why Activision titles are still hideously expensive, is purely down to Bobby Kotick being a bast.

The JG Man
27-06-2011, 04:57 PM
30%? That would explain why Steam's prices are relatively high...and perhaps why retail prices for PC games has seemingly gone up a tad? To match if that's the expected price.?

I'd also noticed SM uses Steamworks after a quick googling. I imagine Relic significantly pushed for that one, considering it's documented that they increased sales after dropped GFWL and solely utilising Steam for Retribution. I can see SM (in the UK) going the way of BF3 - no chance of pre-ordering on Steam, but they won't not put it up, just in time for release.

Rossignol
27-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I've asked THQ to comment on this.

archonsod
27-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Given it's still available on the UK Gamersgate & D2D it looks like Steam is becoming a local store for local people. Presumably there is nothing for us there.

Kelron
27-06-2011, 07:08 PM
30%? That would explain why Steam's prices are relatively high...and perhaps why retail prices for PC games has seemingly gone up a tad? To match if that's the expected price.?

Not quite sure what you're getting at there, but when you consider the costs of manufacturing, distributing and retailer mark-ups on games, much more of the retail price gets back to the publisher through Steam than it does through physical stores. There's plenty of interviews with developers and publishers around to back that statement, like this one with 1C. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304378/how-valve-shook-up-the-pc-market-1c-on-steams-true-value/)

"Let's say one of our titles was sold through a till in a retail store right now for, say, 20. After retail report the sale to our third party publisher - at the end of the quarter following sale - and they then report the sale to us - 60 days after receiving their cut - 1C would receive around 7 for the sale of the game. That would come into our bank, in around September.

But if we sold the same game through someone pushing the download button at one of our digital partners' websites for the same 20, we would net 14 - twice as much - into our bank by the end of May; three or four months' sooner."

goatmonkey
27-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Do publishers not realise they are consigning themselves to my personal bargain bucket when this happens

Is it brick and mortar pressure that is causing this it seems UK based ones have often been more vocal about being anti steam

Kadayi
27-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Not quite sure what you're getting at there, but when you consider the costs of manufacturing, distributing and retailer mark-ups on games, much more of the retail price gets back to the publisher through Steam than it does through physical stores. There's plenty of interviews with developers and publishers around to back that statement, like this one with 1C. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304378/how-valve-shook-up-the-pc-market-1c-on-steams-true-value/)

In that interview (which was only from last week) Darryl Still actually states that retail chains are refusing to stock games that have steamworks included: -

So no, Steam do not dictate at all. They are supremely easy to deal with and superbly competent at what they do. Their confidence in their offering, which pays no heed to any rival in store activities, compares very favourably to that of the retail chains who recently sent a command to publishers that if they include Steamworks in their title it will not be stocked. Those guys need to grow up, stop bullying, and focus their attentions on making their offerings as attractive as the people they are obviously looking over their shoulders in panic at.

If they are getting arsey about that I wonder how they'll feel about EA Origin?

Creeping Death
27-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks Jim! Here's hoping you get a reply that clears it up :)

Axyl
27-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Just a quick additon..

I also have this same question posted over at Relic News Forums (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?260899-Space-Marine-removed-from-UK-Steam-Store.).

I'm not dropping this. There isn't another game ever I've wanted a much as this one. And yes, I know I can still get it elsewhere, even digitally, and I will most likely end up getting it from Gamersgate, but it's the principal of the matter. :)

Awesome, thank you very, very much dude. :)

goatmonkey
27-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Forgot to say this earlier but has anyone else noticed Direct 2 Drives obvious glee at games not being on steam, in their home page banner

http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.direct2drive.co.uk/Assets/images/RET-EN-GB/product/large/10263.jpg

The JG Man
27-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Not quite sure what you're getting at there, but when you consider the costs of manufacturing, distributing and retailer mark-ups on games, much more of the retail price gets back to the publisher through Steam than it does through physical stores.

Sorry, I'll try and clear that up. It did mean something, but reading it back now, it's not terribly transparent.

Regardless of who set the price, that's a nice cut for Valve/Steam. Now obviously you have exchange rates, but if not the many shops are stocking PC games, and they're higher in price due to reduced stock demands, prices on Steam can afford to be a little bit higher. When retail sees this, and no doubt they'll pay attention as it would be foolish to neglect DD as competition, they can say "Well if they're charging higher, we can too." It's very circular and perhaps off the mark, but not impossible and I wouldn't imagine if there was some competitive pricing going on. Of course, retail looks like it's losing considering the constantly reduced stock they're getting in.

Yeah, that's still not clear. Well, it made sense to me earlier!

Thanks!

As it stands, being that it's Steamworks and the fact it's clearly going to be a great game, I won't not get it, and I prefer boxes anyhow, but this is certainly a strange growing trend.

Kadayi
27-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Forgot to say this earlier but has anyone else noticed Direct 2 Drives obvious glee at games not being on steam, in their home page banner

Still 'related' to Rupert Murdochs empire of evil apparently so chance of purchase 0 to none.

Icarus
27-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Maybe I'm just thick, but how exactly is Rupert Murdoch the apparent incarnation of Satan's left nut?

Edit: I'm probably going to regret asking this.

imirk
27-06-2011, 11:39 PM
He owns News Corp, Is Australian, meddles in Politics, and doesn't really pay much taxes (7% [of 20.1 Billion last year]) but probably mostly because he's Australian

Jacques
27-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Salamanders are also my favourite founding SM chapter.

Where is the best place to pre-order SM anyway?

Vexing Vision
27-06-2011, 11:51 PM

So, digital downloads are evil, so we're okay if D2D has it?

My brain.

Icarus
27-06-2011, 11:57 PM
@VexingVision: Seems to be more a case of 'ha ha, you can't go to the competition for this, you have to come to us'.

ran93r
27-06-2011, 11:59 PM
As Robf mentioned, Brink is still unavailable in the UK on Steam and I don't think anything at all has been said, it's all been swept under the rug. The common conspiracy theory is that it had something to do with "Game" but good luck on getting anyone to confirm anything, be that Valve, Bethesda or Game. Initially the guys at Splash Damage were "looking into it" but that all quickly stopped and nothing was ever said again.

Perhaps it's not a huge issue at the moment, in the case of Brink you could get it elsewhere and it still activates on Steam but if this is really down to physical retailers throwing their weight around and they carry on getting away with it, we can expect to see more of this nonsense.

I haven't bought anything from Game in probably five years, this kind of rubbish isn't going to change my mind.

Rii
28-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Still 'related' to Rupert Murdochs empire of evil apparently so chance of purchase 0 to none.

So's 20th Century Fox but they still release good films. =/

Estel
28-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Do publishers not realise they are consigning themselves to my personal bargain bucket when this happens

Is it brick and mortar pressure that is causing this it seems UK based ones have often been more vocal about being anti steam

They might realise that, but being business people they're probably of the opinion that keeping retail stocking their games is more important than x lost sales by not selling through Steam.

They might be right, too. None of us here will have nearly as much data as the people who made these decisions, however much we might disagree with them.

Icarus
28-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Best thing to do is keep hassling the publishers and devs, I suppose. Don't let up on the bastards.

Kadayi
28-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Maybe I'm just thick, but how exactly is Rupert Murdoch the apparent incarnation of Satan's left nut?

=

He owns News Corp, Is Australian, meddles in Politics, and doesn't really pay much taxes (7% [of 20.1 Billion last year]) but probably mostly because he's Australian

I'm not too fussy about his nationality, more his meddling in politics and the BS factory that constitutes his News Organisation. I don't mind them being right wing/conservative in nature, but the duplicitous nature of their reporting and representation leave much to be desired. Couple that with his back door deals with the conservatives to dismantle the BBC.....

Best thing to do is keep hassling the publishers and devs, I suppose. Don't let up on the bastards.

Developers have zero say in these things. It's publishers who deal with retail. Certainly it's not a bad idea to write to publishers about why their games aren't on Steam, however a better approach is probably to write to Retailers and ask them why a certain game, that they have on 360 & PS3 isn't available for PC. It's really a case of putting pressure on UK Retailers.

soldant
28-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Didn't realise that I lived in Hell?

Developers have zero say in these things.
Exactly, ripping into the devs because a publisher made a decision that you don't agree with is silly. Unfortunately the PC gaming market isn't the biggest in the world, we're going to have to accept that whether we like it or not. Retail outlets are businesses at heart and run based on making money, and consoles move units much better than the PC.

The more sinister issue is the weird play-off between digital distribution and retail boxed distribution in an attempt to make even more money. Over here they just jacked up the prices to the point where buying neither version was worthwhile, but if the blatant removal to force retail purchasing is going to become the norm, then digital distribution might as well be dead for the mainstream market.

imirk
28-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Didn't realise that I lived in Hell?

That is unfortunate for you, eh? Don't worry though, we (US :P) took him off your hands in '85 so I guess that makes the USA Hell strictly speaking of Lucifer's origin and relocation. I'm mostly mad that FOX canceled Firefly though.

On Topic (a rare event) the issue with bitching at publisher's is that they're larger (typically) than dev teams and you stand a chance of being lost in the noise, vs a impassioned plea to the developer begging to give them your moneys if only they could get the game onto steam where you've no chance to resist the alluring siren's call.

The JG Man
28-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Where is the best place to pre-order SM anyway?

I want to echo this comment while we're at it. Anyone know of anywhere good so far? The cheapest I've seen in the UK is Amazon for 29.91, a whole 8p cheaper than other locations.

I guess we're not gonna find anything else about this though until a publisher speaks, or perhaps a developer let's slip some information, on purpose or not.

Dave L.
28-06-2011, 02:47 AM
As has been said multiple times, this is a Publisher vs. Retail issue. As I understand it, not only have the larger UK retailers (GAME in particular) threatened to not stock PC games that use Steamworks, they've also threatened to not stock those titles on any platform if the Steam version is available day and date with the retail. Most publishers don't care about their PC versions being stocked at retail, because they know damn well that they'll make more money off of digital, which is why Steamworks has become so popular in the first place, but no publishers can really afford to take the hit of not having their console SKUs stocked, and especially not a smaller publisher like THQ.

And the threat only applies to Steamworks games being sold on the Steam Store, which is why other digital retailers may still have it.

And chances are you're not going to be able to get a public comment from the publishers confirming this, because they don't want to piss off the retailers by making them look like the asshole in this whole thing.

thegooseking
28-06-2011, 06:28 AM
So, basically GAME's throwing a tantrum because Valve released Portal 2 early.

I bet they wouldn't put it that way, but they're not exactly cultivating a positive public image, here.

cowthief skank
28-06-2011, 07:56 AM
And thus, pirates give themselves even more justification.

The JG Man
28-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't see how pirate justification fits in here. So it's not obtainable for pre-order on Steam, but you can still get it from countless e/retail places.

Kamikaze-X
28-06-2011, 02:49 PM
any instance of a game being made harder to purchase is another gold tooth to add to the pirates ill-gotten grin.

ARGH MATEY.

The JG Man
28-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I know what you mean and I took that into consideration with my post - as long as it takes to open up Steam and find your game, it takes the same to load up your browser and search for the same title on Google/Amazon/wherever.

Axyl
28-06-2011, 04:08 PM
True, but that's not the point here.

To quote a post of mine from the Relic News forums...

Like I said, I'm not dropping this. This game, my chosen platform and my chosen retailer (<3 Steam) are all far too important to me to allow this sort of BS to go unnoticed and unchallenged.
Original Forum Link (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?260899-Space-Marine-removed-from-UK-Steam-Store.&p=1045267266&viewfull=1#post1045267266)

Jim, any reply from THQ etc yet? I'm guessing no, but I'm more than a little motivated about this topic. :)

The JG Man
28-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I wasn't disagreeing that, but simply the chimes of piracy. Being a Steamworks game, I don't see it as much of a problem, unless you dislike having physical boxes, which is fair enough. It's lunacy that it isn't available on Steam, but I don't see it as the end of the world...yet. It's a trend I'm not liking however.

StolenGlory
28-06-2011, 05:06 PM
It is a trend; an extremely poor one. I can understand Axyl's frustration here; time and again PC gamers in the UK are getting the shaft when at a base level all we want is just to be treated equally and to have the same consumer opportunities as anybody else who indulges in this most treasured of past times. PC Gamers are, in my opinion at least, core gaming specialists and it's about time that we get treated with the respect that we deserve irrespective of our geographical location *especially* where we are talking about digital product where there are no significant logistical excuses involved.

Axyl
28-06-2011, 11:49 PM
It is a trend; an extremely poor one. I can understand Axyl's frustration here; time and again PC gamers in the UK are getting the shaft when at a base level all we want is just to be treated equally and to have the same consumer opportunities as anybody else who indulges in this most treasured of past times. PC Gamers are, in my opinion at least, core gaming specialists and it's about time that we get treated with the respect that we deserve irrespective of our geographical location *especially* where we are talking about digital product where there are no significant logistical excuses involved.

I couldn't have worded it better. That is exactly what I want...
To be able to buy my game, from my chosen outlet, at the same time and the same price as the rest of the world.
We're not asking for much. :(

Update - Ruined (a THQ Employee), over at the Relic News forums, has kindly posted a clarification regarding Publisher set pricing..

Just to clarify on pricing we legally can not set pricing in the UK that is down to a retailer. We suggest an RRP (generally 34.99 GBP) which is a guide but we sell the game to retail for significantly less than that and they work out what margin they want to make. This is how you see new games at 17.99 GBP etc, it all comes down to how much a retailer wants to make on each copy they sell.

Sometimes you even get shops take a loss on a big game (i.e. some of the supermarkets when they sell Call of Duty etc for silly money) they do that to increase customer base and/or make the money on other things like grocery shopping.

Original Link (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?260899-Space-Marine-removed-from-UK-Steam-Store.&p=1045267504&viewfull=1#post1045267504)

soldant
29-06-2011, 05:05 AM
PC Gamers are, in my opinion at least, core gaming specialists
I'm sorry, but core gaming specialists? Exactly what is a core gaming specialist? I'm well and truly part of the glorious PC gaming master race, but that sounds pretty ridiculous.

The JG Man
29-06-2011, 01:13 PM
That explanation doesn't explain lack of appearance on Steam though. We've already touched on RRP, so, yeah...

thegooseking
07-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Here's, apparently, the reason for the EA stuff (specifically Crysis 2 and BF3 and formerly Alice: Madness Returns):-

http://www.1up.com/news/ea-desire-stay-in-touch-keeping-games-off-steam

That doesn't really say anything about Bethesda or THQ, though.

pkt-zer0
07-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Oh god, the intentionally vague language, it's so painful. I still have no idea what their reason was, beyond that it's obviously bullshit if this is what they call "clarification".

GothicEmperor
07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Oh god, the intentionally vague language, it's so painful. I still have no idea what their reason was, beyond that it's obviously bullshit if this is what they call "clarification".
They want to limit their DLC options to just a selecct few other services so they can convince folks not to use Steam, and if Steam then bans the game, it's double success.

That's what I'm understanding from EA's motivation, anyway. THQ and Bethesda seem to just have DLc problems, though why it's generally UK-specific is anyone's guess.

Ellzedd
29-08-2011, 03:51 AM
I've actually got an idea. I'd like to suggest that ANY official information given to any of you be correlated via links into one post (Or possibly my inbox. This goes deeper than SM, i'd like to request a list of all games that have vanished from UK steam store in the past year. And as much info into why as possible. Links are fine, im gathering as much info as i can but the more i look into it the more of a shitstorm this seems to be. One thing is for sure. Consumers are having their options on where to buy restricted and the freedom to choose is being limited. It's not really about Steam being cheaper. The only time i find steam to be competetive is during summer/winter sales where titles that escaped my attention (Or budget!) re-appear for a fiver. Generally i find steam to be expensive. Or when they offer DLC (let's not forget pre-order bonuses! - A good exmaple is "buy now to recieve this shiny in TF2) that im not being offered elsewhere.

So if any of you have, or know of, any questions or queries sent by anyone, to any business. Be it steam, publishers, stockists/retailers. Please correlate that info for me. If you want my email address i'll give it. The more research i have into this "UK based vanishing act via steam" the better. Im seriously thinking of taking this to Watchdog UK. And if i can prove there is a story to be told. If we can prove we are being discriminated against, i think there may be success.

Mihkel
29-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Maybe this is a valid theory?
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1119494-Game-UK-Why-these-guys-are-ruining-your-consumer-experience

Creeping Death
05-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Necromancy!

I figured I'd throw this in here instead of making another thread as it relates to Space Marine on steam in the uk.

So Gamersgate, and I believe Direct2Drive and a few other sites, has sent out keys for Space Marine so we can start preloading it. This has me wondering if we'll still be stuck waiting for the uk retail release date of Friday instead of the US's date of tomorrow considering that Space Marine on Steam in the UK is a non entity.

That and the fact the support staff of Gamersgate seem pretty insistant that I will be able to play the game from tomorrow...

Aquarion
06-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I think it's simply that Game throws a strop if people can preorder and buy the game without having to go down the shops, so THQ have made a deal where it's not on Steam to buy for preorders or a while after launch.

Space Marine looked good, too, but I guess I'm not buying it for "a while" then. (Battlefield 3 looks good too, and I'd quite like to play the new Settlers. Ah well, a policy of not rewarding dickish behavior is at least saving me money)

Althea
06-09-2011, 08:54 AM
and I'd quite like to play the new Settlers.
It's good, but it sure is ugly.

I honestly don't know what's happening with Steam and GAME. It's not that you don't go down to the shops to buy it, because why would GAME offer pre-orders on their site, and have the cheapest price online? It's because, as far as I'm aware, Steam is forced upon the consumer and GAME are effectively be promoting their competition and giving their customers away with it.

You can sort of sympathise with GAME, but they honestly don't help themselves. Many stores have ever-shrinking, or completely removed, PC sections in stores. The games they carry in-store are often overpriced, expensive, old or a combination of all three, or they'll have a lot of Big Fish-esque games and other ones that won't interest the more 'hardcore' PC gamer, i.e. the very ones who would be buying Steam games. Their site is much better, and it often trumps Steam on its own deals or pricing due to Steam's pricing being as fluid as a glacier, but the stock tends to be somewhat limited. The pre-orders they offer tend to be a bit overpriced, too. Space Marine CE was 80 on their site for the PC. Yes, that's almost three times the price of the game. You could shop around and easily find it for 60 or under. Mass Effect 3 CE is 70 regardless of platform, but their sister company Gamestation offers the PC version for 60. I asked them about why the pricing was so different to their competitors and I got the "We always check to make sure we're offering the best deal...". Bulldroppings. They're not competitive, and they're bitching about their competitors.

It seems to me like they're the kid who whines, moans and throws a paddy when his mum throws out the toy he never plays with and claims he "loves it" and "always played with it". Yeah, GAME is that kid.

The JG Man
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
They don't need to compete though; for the People Who Aren't Us, GAME is where you go to buy games. What with their expert advice (ha), large stock of games (if you have a console or a handheld) and standard pricing (being pretty high, usually).

Althea
06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
They don't need to compete though; for the People Who Aren't Us, GAME is where you go to buy games. What with their expert advice (ha), large stock of games (if you have a console or a handheld) and standard pricing (being pretty high, usually).
I dunno, I think HMV have been doing fairly well, especially as they have a lot of offers on and now do trade ins. Their game section, at least in the Leeds branch, has just gotten bigger and bigger. There's also CEX that seems to be doing quite well with games, albeit used ones.

Heck, even Argos seems to be doing better and better with games, as do Tesco/other supermarkets.

The JG Man
06-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Supermarkets, Argos, only stock certain big titled games though. HMV is a curious thing; at the beginning of the year it looked like they might not survive it, but they've been quite on the financial front since selling off Waterstones. I'll be up in Leeds over the weekend so I'll take a look (I should point out, I'm not going up to Leeds just to go game shopping!) but I believe that for many people, HMV are still music and DVDs. They do have some decent prices, odd-ball sales (bought Darksiders for 30 instead of the standard 40 for my 360 a few days after it came out). I was actually in the flagship one on Oxford Street a couple of weeks ago and their PC game stock was pretty dismal.

There's definitely choice out there, but I think unless there's a deal on, people will still go to GAME. I know I tend to only buy from the cheapest place, which tends to be Amazon now more often than not.

Althea
06-09-2011, 10:04 AM
but I believe that for many people, HMV are still music and DVDs.
I'm not sure, JG. HMV have been branching out for many years now, especially in the bigger stores. I think you'll be somewhat staggered by how diverse the Leeds branch is. It's even got a fairly good PC section, at least it did when I went in last time.

cluongo
07-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I would love for the RPS guys to get their teeth into this one...
I gave up on retail years ago, due to the PC section being limited to one tiny lil corner vs a shopful of consolefuntoystationbox games. A VERY familiar story, I'm sure.
I like Steam, hell..I can even tolerate the godawful pricing due to buying most of my games during sales.

But I just want to get my games from Steam. I have the odd title here and there from Impulse, Desura etc etc, but they remain largely unplayed, because I just can't be bothered to have yet another app running.
Again, a very familiar story, I'm sure.

Honestly, the whole bloody situation makes no sense.
I just wanna play my game. :(I'm right there with you. Having to launch another APP to run another game is just a pain and waste of my time. That's ANOTHER account and password I need to set up and more crap running on my computer.

I have games I forgot about simply because..I don't launch the app's they run on.

Pain in the ass. They either need to centralize this junk or eliminate the need of an app to run a game. At the end of the day when it gets down to it...Steam really DOESN'T do anything useful, that I couldn't just do on my own with a bit more elbow grease. I never really like Steam and saw NO purpose to it the past few years, though recently I grew a kind to it because of some of the deals it offers. But other then not letting me play games when my internet is out, I kind of hate it.

Althea
07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I didn't see Axyl's point, but Steam is one of the few that needs to run when you're playing a game, and is used to launch the game. Impulse doesn't need to be running to play an Impulse game, only to update it, and many games tend to launch their own app (UPlay, RSC) when you launch them, rather than you launch the app and then the game.

The JG Man
08-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure, JG. HMV have been branching out for many years now, especially in the bigger stores. I think you'll be somewhat staggered by how diverse the Leeds branch is. It's even got a fairly good PC section, at least it did when I went in last time.

I'll be sure to check it out then!

acroman56
08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Dunno how related this is to the thread, but I pre-ordered Space Marine from Amazon and it showed up today in the mail 'Great!' I think, now I can go play some Space Marine a bit early! But no, apparently it hasn't been released yet so despite me holding the box in my hands and looking at the DVD's stuffed full of all the essential game files Steam simply won't allow me to install it :(

I love Steam and have many games on it but this is the first time I have been so annoyed at it. I have the game, therefore it has been released but because of some silly legislation I cannot install and play a product that I paid for until Steam decides to let me.

Elesium
08-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I know the feeling, I am in exactly the same boat...knowing Steam aswell it won't be until 6pm BST that the game will be released to be playable as Steam works on a 24 hour basis rather than exact BST time. If you want to make us use Steam then release it on Steam. It makes no sense that a game that needs Steam to run, isn't being released on Steam.

Jacques
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
It's good to know the devs are aware of the situation...

http://jacques.corbytue.ch/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/spacemarine.jpg

Whitmore
08-09-2011, 06:23 PM
If you attach the Cdkey to Steam, it'll allow you too.

Got mine from Gamersgate and had to do that. Just hope it -does- unlock at midnight.

Rossignol
08-09-2011, 07:14 PM
THQ are apparently working on a response.

Althea
08-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Got mine from Gamersgate and had to do that. Just hope it -does- unlock at midnight.
I've never had one unlock at midnight. I think Mass Effect 2 unlocked about 1am, but I could be wrong.

cowthief skank
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I've never had one unlock at midnight. I think Mass Effect 2 unlocked about 1am, but I could be wrong.

Could've been due to the daylight saving time? My Deus Ex unlocked at midnight the other week, or thereabouts. I was curious if it would so made a point to check.

Red Squirrel
12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Anyone used Elite Keys before?

http://elitekeys.com/warhammer-40000-space-marine-cd-key

14.87 ! Its seems too cheap ...

Mistabashi
12-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Anyone used Elite Keys before?

http://elitekeys.com/warhammer-40000-space-marine-cd-key

14.87 ! Its seems too cheap ...

It's a Portugese company, so those keys are 'grey' at best. I wouldn't risk it myself.

zhalla
12-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Hello,

I am the owner of EliteKeys.com and I just saw some visits from this thread, so I decided to register and make myself available for any inquiries you may have.

Let me assure you that the keys we sell are from legit retail disks. Feel free to browse our website and Facebook pages and check our customers feedback.

Regards.

Whitmore
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Zhalla, I have a question to ask about the site, if I may; How are you able to sell those codes so cheaply?

zhalla
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Hello Whitmore,

Warhammer 40000 Space Marine is a Region Free game, meaning we can import it from suppliers outside Europe (with very attractive prices) and still work anywhere and support multi-language.

Thank you.

Regards,
zhalla