PDA

View Full Version : EA Origin - You can now register Crysis 2

Hirmetrium
27-06-2011, 07:44 PM
So I originally picked up Crysis 2: LE from Direct2Drive - I've been messing around with origins to see if it is any good (it's "OK") and managed to register my copy on it.

So go! be free! enjoy HD patches for Dx11!

Somebody mind trying a few CnC titles?

EDIT: Confirmed, Red Alert 3 registered perfectly. Haven't seen how far back it can go yet.

Quite handy if you want to backup any EA games at least!

EDIT2: BF2/SF isn't working :( shame about that, but BC2 has.

vinraith
27-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Very interesting, it's always nice to have backups in other places. I'll have to have a look at the Origins client.

goatmonkey
27-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Seems you can register anything from 2008 onwards it seems despite the official line being 2009 (Mirrors Edge, Burnout Paradise, and Dead Space were 2008 right)

only Crysis 1 and Mass Effect 1 will not activate for me

like having backup of my retail copies, wish at least all the games they have on origin would register there

GothicEmperor
27-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Can I also activate geams I've purchased on Steam, using those CD-keys?

The JG Man
27-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Yurp. Pretty nice now because I have two available locations to download BC2 from. Pretty convenient.

vinraith
27-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hmm. Tried registering Hot Pursuit. It took the code, but didn't add it to the game list, and if I try to re-enter the code it says it's already been used. I suspect there may be some kinks to work out, here.

goatmonkey
27-06-2011, 11:05 PM
you may want to restart or just refresh the games list from the tools menu you just need to do that to get them to show up

vinraith
27-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks goatmonkey. I'd restarted the client and it still didn't show up, but hitting "refresh games list" got the job done.

GothicEmperor
27-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Yurp. Pretty nice now because I have two available locations to download BC2 from. Pretty convenient.
Was thinking the exact same thing. Hmm, might reconsider downloading it.

Rii
27-06-2011, 11:37 PM
"You can now voluntarily sign away your right to re-sell your game."

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Wizardry
28-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Why did they call it Origin?

Creeping Death
28-06-2011, 12:38 AM

You'd have a hard time selling it anywhere these days anyway.

Places like musicmagpie.co.uk and CEX seem to have blacklisted pc games that register on online services such as Steam or otherwise require being tied to an account i.e. Starcraft 2

J Arcane
28-06-2011, 12:59 AM
There is but one question that could make me give Origin a shot: does it allow me to opt out of software patches?

BF2 1.5 sucks.

vinraith
28-06-2011, 03:05 AM

95% or so of EA games 2008+ had online registration components anyway, re-selling most games hasn't been possible for several years now whether you own physical copies or not. Registering your copy of ME2 on Origin, for example, isn't going to make it any less resalable than it already was.

vinraith
28-06-2011, 04:21 AM
So far, what's worked:

Retail: Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening
Steam: Burnout Paradise and NFS: Hot Pursuit

Most of my Steam games are missing keys, so I can't try them (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space), while others just don't seem to work (Command and Conquer 3 and its expansion, Mass Effect). Crysis Warhead retail also doesn't appear to work.

In short, it's very scattershot.

Rii
28-06-2011, 04:23 AM
I think the last EA game I bought on PC was Battlefield 2. So yeah. =/

I've been meaning to check out Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit at some point though.

vinraith
28-06-2011, 04:45 AM
I think the last EA game I bought on PC was Battlefield 2. So yeah. =/

Yeah. Don't think this is a trend I'm happy about, by the way, it's just that Origin isn't making it any worse as EA went down the dark path some time ago. Providing digital backups at least makes mandatory online registration ever so slightly more palatable.

I've been meaning to check out Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit at some point though.Fun little racing game. I'd also highly recommend Burnout Paradise.

SilverSilence
28-06-2011, 11:21 AM
You can use Game Key Revealer (https://sites.google.com/site/cakirbey/gamekeyrevealer) to find keys for Steam games that don't show in the client, you can also go to this site (https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do) which works with some older games even though they can't be registered through Origin itself.

The JG Man
28-06-2011, 02:25 PM
It's likely that the games that can be linked are ones that worked with the old EA Download Manager. For example, BF2 won't work, but 2142 may do, especially considering its expansion pack could only be obtained from there.

deano2099
30-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Not really. If it's voluntary then whoever you sell to, by definition, doesn't have to register it so can play it anyway. If registration was always compulsory then nothing has changed.

Heliocentric
30-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Crysis warhead can be added, but not always through the client, can't remember the url, try support forums.