PDA

View Full Version : Foot to ball management

Doctor_Hellsturm
28-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I have been wanting to lay my hands on FM2011 for a long time, but i am new to the series, and the whole thing is a little overwhelming at first punt. Could anyone point me in the direction of a newbie-guide to FM? Need some tips and tricks.

Ian
28-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Firstly I'd get the demo and just dick around in it, but if you go over to the Dugout forums there's threads stickied there for people to look at. Guides to player training, tactics you can download to see how they work, etc.

Doctor_Hellsturm
28-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks! I'll head right over.

mxu
28-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Forget the demo! (no offense Ian :) Pick your favourite big team and build your dream team. Should be quite easy to achieve success. With a big team with lots of money, it's easier to try things (without everything going horribly wrong) and get yourself comfortable with the UI and all the screens and stuff.

FM11 is much more user friendly than the previous versions. There's quite easy-to-understand tactics creator and ready made roles to players which you can choose from a list. You don't have to touch the infamous sliders in the tactics section at all if you don't want to.

There was some kind of "complete" guide if I recall correctly. With quick googling I found this: http://www.fmrforum.com/t1078-football-manager-2011-the-unofficial-guide

moth bones
28-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the greatest time sink in the history of humankind.

Doctor_Hellsturm
28-06-2011, 02:20 PM
So I've heard. So I've heard. I think my lack of knowledge of team roosters apart from the PL and the Norwegian premiership will make it a little hard to get in to. My real wish is a FM for the NFL. But NFL Head Coach was a pure disaster from start to finish.

y2rich
28-06-2011, 03:37 PM
The updated NFL Head Coach (PS3/360 only I believe) was an improvement but still not great. OOTP Baseball is the only decent management game I've seen for a US Sport.

baboonanza
28-06-2011, 03:52 PM
So I've heard. So I've heard. I think my lack of knowledge of team roosters apart from the PL and the Norwegian premiership will make it a little hard to get in to. My real wish is a FM for the NFL. But NFL Head Coach was a pure disaster from start to finish.
You can manage a Norwegian Premiership team if you like :)

Ian
28-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I so want a proper NFL management game. All the stats, the playbooks, the draft, the on-the-fly playcalling. The whole thing is fucking perfect for a good management game.

Forget the demo! (no offense Ian :)

Why on earth would you recommend somebody forget the demo if they've not played the game before? You can play the game for absolutely ages. It's well worth it given how many hours you could get out of the game.

mxu is right elsewhere though, FM11 has made the effort to be a bit more user friendly in the face of the series' increasing level of depth.

mxu
28-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Why on earth would you recommend somebody forget the demo if they've not played the game before?

I knew I shouldn't have said that! I thought it would be clear that I wasn't entirely serious.

Well, yeah.. maybe you (Doctor Hellsturm) should try the demo. But this will happen: You'll find out that it's a great game and altough you can continue your game with full version, you can't adjust the player database / active leagues if you continue from demo. So you really have to start over again, just when you got all things going nicely and you are having a good time!

You can also get the game dirt cheap if you look around a bit, so there's another reason why the demo isn't entirely necessary. And thirdly, the game is so good that you don't need to try it before buy it. ;)

OctaneHugo
28-06-2011, 10:31 PM
OOTP is lots of fun but FM is just exponentially more brilliant, somehow. I love 'em both but FM is just better. I think it's because the management aspects of the soccer world, what with all these different leagues and the transfer market and etc. is more interesting than the management of a baseball team, even if I prefer baseball to soccer (both excellent spots, though).

I, too, yearn for a proper NFL management game. Never tried Head Coach but yeah, Ian, the NFL really is perfect for a game like FM or OOTP. Hell, include the CFL, the UFL and the AFL along with it. I'd love to not only send my men scouring the southeast for a big wide receiver but also have them evaluate the guys tearing up Canada, or teaching the UFL a thing or two.

y2rich
28-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I think OOTP is a far deeper, more 'realistic' experience but thats because of the nature of the sport rather than FM being a weaker game. I love the both of them.

Very much doubt we'll see an NFL management game anytime soon what with the licensing issues as well as the current labo(u)r disputes. An NFL management game where you can work your way through the NCAA coaching carousel and onto the NFL would be incredible. The NCAA games franchise modes are starting to make their way towards being a decent coaching sim but something with the depth of FM/OOTP/EHM would be nice.

Ian
28-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I knew I shouldn't have said that! I thought it would be clear that I wasn't entirely serious.

Well, yeah.. maybe you (Doctor Hellsturm) should try the demo. But this will happen: You'll find out that it's a great game and altough you can continue your game with full version, you can't adjust the player database / active leagues if you continue from demo. So you really have to start over again, just when you got all things going nicely and you are having a good time!

You can also get the game dirt cheap if you look around a bit, so there's another reason why the demo isn't entirely necessary. And thirdly, the game is so good that you don't need to try it before buy it. ;)

Ah, well, if dirt cheap then yes. Just buy it. It's easy in that case to get your money's worth just finding out whether you like the game or not.

And there's definitely an element of not being able to recreate what you do in the demo, but that's half the charm with the game anyway (providing you're not downloading tactics*), "Can I recreate this again?"

* I have no particular issue with this, it's not my place to tell people how to enjoy the game. I merely stress that I don't know the best way to advise that kind of player because I tend to just try my own shit and fail horribly. :)

Pijama
29-06-2011, 04:44 AM
FM is easily one of the best PC games around. It's an awesome strategy game, so to speak. You set your own goals, you build your teams and develop your tactics...

...Really, like I usually say, it's a casual Dwarf Fortress with a football approach. :D

It's 00:42 here, and I just guided Independiente (Argentina) to victory in the Copa Sudamericana. GLORIOUS

TheLastBaron
29-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I don't know if I even think of FM as a strategy game, to me it's almost like an RPG. Whatever it is it's awesome.

Doctor_Hellsturm
29-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Just started out with my beloved Rosenborg. Considering they have a roster worth about six times more than the second best team in the Norwegian premiership that should suffice as easy mode.

Happy to see that there are more people out there who want a proper NFL manager game. There are some games and IPs that are just waiting to happen and I can't imagine why not (licensing is a pain i know).

NFL Head Coach (done proper) and Total War: Warhammer....Get a move on!

Ian
29-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I did have a brief go with Front Office Football but quite aside from there not having been a new version in a hundred and three yonks it's fairly clunky.

American football is just so perfect for a management sim. It blows my mind that it's not been done properly.

But yeah, FM11 is probably the best FM in a few years. Even as a seasoned CM/FMer (my first was CM 97/98) I have bounced right off the last few couple of versions with FM08 being the last one I had an extended game in. In that I had a multiteam save that lasted until about 2015, in my current FM save I'm about to start the 16/17 season.

FM is back in my life and it's stealing my time. _

Gerbick
29-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Aw guys, please stop. I'd put the FM/CM series to the back of my mind since FM08 (having played every version from CM93, I dread to think how many hours of my life was spent on it), but I'm starting to get that itch again. Must....resist....

TheLastBaron
29-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I'd put the FM/CM series to the back of my mind since FM08 (having played every version from CM93, I dread to think how many hours of my life was spent on it), but I'm starting to get that itch again.

"Kif, I'm feeling the captain's itch!"

moth bones
29-06-2011, 07:21 PM
The itch never goes away! I hadn't touched it for a few months, but this week I found myself stepping off the plane near the Black Sea, all ready to take a tiny club from the Ukrainian second tier to glory...

I'm still on FM10, which was my favourite version since 01/02.

Ian
30-06-2011, 11:56 AM
After FM08 I bounced right off FM09 and FM10.

I thought I was done. There was a little gaming sadness, but also a little relief.

I thought Football Manager had let me go.

I was wrong.

*cue dramatic movie-trailer music*

Drake Sigar
30-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I escaped its grasp for almost ten years (last one I had played was 2001/2) and yet here I am. All roads lead back to Football Manager.

Pijama
01-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Fools. It's futile to fight against it. :D

Particularly when the season starts to kick into high gear and the continental tournaments heat up. I nearly start shouting instructions automatically by then haha

Gerbick
02-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Fools. It's futile to fight against it. :D

You were right. And the fact Steam put it in their daily sale. Teh basts! Off the wagon....again.