Baldur's Gate II
The Longest Journey
Red Alert 2
Sacrifice
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
MechWarrior 4
No One Lives Forever
Crimson Skies

(And Perfect Dark and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask on N64.)

Do we have any challengers?

Icarus
28-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Bloody hell, has it really been over ten years since we had a MechWarrior game on PC?

Unaco
28-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Cholo.

Rossignol
28-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I had the most fun in 2003, where I spent the entirely year playing Eve and Planetside.

Rii
28-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Bloody hell, has it really been over ten years since we had a MechWarrior game on PC?

Nope, there were two later MW4 releases, I think Mercenaries only came out in 2002.

Icarus
28-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Right. Somehow that one passed me by, but I didn't enjoy MW4 as much as I did 3 :/

Rii
28-06-2011, 04:02 PM
If we're doing the 'had the most fun' thing then, err, 2000 would score pretty well there too actually. 1997-2001 were probably my brightest years of gaming. So many classic games and memories on both PC and N64.

Right. Somehow that one passed me by, but I didn't enjoy MW4 as much as I did 3 :/

I went straight from Mechwarrior on the SNES to Mechwarrior 4 on PC!

Jams O'Donnell
28-06-2011, 04:25 PM
1994: UFO, Tie Fighter, Warcraft, Doom 2, Sensible World of Soccer
2007: Stalker, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Supreme Commander, CoD: Modern Warfare, Bioshock, Mass Effect

As for had the most fun, probably 2001-2004 playing HL-derived online shooters -- TFC, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, and Natural Selection. It's impossible to pick a single year from that range.

SMiD
28-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Rii, dammit, you can't come in and win the thread with the first post. But that 2000 lineup is pretty spectacular. Ahhh memories.

Wizardry
28-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Anywhere from 1985 to 1993. If you disagree then I guess you aren't much of an RPG fan. ;)

TheLastBaron
28-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Whatever year in the future virtual reality games that plug straight into my brain come out. 2040?

Kadayi
28-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah I tend to be forward thinking about these things also. This seems to be a variation on the 'golden age of gaming' theme.

Rii
28-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah I tend to be forward thinking about these things also. This seems to be a variation on the 'golden age of gaming' theme.

Do tell us which half-dozen or more games released or scheduled to be released this year we'll still be talking about a decade from now.

Unaco
29-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Do tell us which half-dozen or more games released or scheduled to be released this year we'll still be talking about a decade from now.

I dunno if I can come up with a dozen, and maybe not all of them, but I reckon...

The Witcher 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Portal 2
Guild Wars 2
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Mass Effect 3
RAGE
SkyRim
Arkham City
BattleField 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
DOTA 2

And Duke Nukem Forever, but probably only to laugh at it.

There's a fair chance we'll be talking about some, probably not all, of these games in 10 years time.

But... the thing is, we don't really know what we'll be talking about in a decade, because we don't know how we'll look back on some of these games. Maybe we'll consider them classics, or favourites... Maybe one of them will change gaming... Maybe they'll just change the way we look at games. But the thing with looking back is that we look back with nostalgia... It could be that, as you seem to be saying, gaming is in decline, the games they release these days weren't like the games they released back in the day, and we'll never go back to those Golden Days. Or, it could be that we tend to look back on a particular period in our own gaming fondly, and hold it above all others. Yeah, 2000 was a great year for gaming from that list... but it wasn't particular a big year for me, at the time at least, and I tend to view the years prior to 2000 as my halcyon days.

Besides, Kadayi didn't say that THIS year is his favourite year, just that he prefers to look forward.

Rii
29-06-2011, 12:19 AM
The Witcher 2

I'm confident history will vindicate my judgement of The Witcher as being superior to its sequel.

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Even the most glowing previews have suggested that what the devs are doing here is bringing the original Deus Ex into the modern era, not actually moving anything forward.

Portal 2

Nah.

Guild Wars 2
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Mass Effect 3
DOTA 2

It's looking less and less likely that GW2 is going to show this year, but we'll grant it anyway. I agree that all of these (well, I think it's the Mass Effect trilogy in general that may be remembered) are potential contenders, but highly speculative. I suspect that maybe one of four might actually come to fruition.

RAGE
SkyRim
Arkham City
BattleField 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Surprised you entered these with a straight face. I'm even looking forward to some of these games but I don't think they're going to be landmarks in the medium or their respective genres.

But the thing with looking back is that we look back with nostalgia...

Indeed we do, I've commented on the highly subjective nature of gaming before, but that doesn't automatically invalidate one's analysis.

It could be that, as you seem to be saying, gaming is in decline

That's not what I'm saying. In fact I think we're on something of an upswing at the moment after bottoming out in 2009 where the only titles worth talking about were indie.

What I am saying is that the output of some years is superior to others. And along that continuum there are real standouts, and that 2000 was certainly one of them. 2007 is probably the standout year of the last generation (i.e. 2005-).

Hunt0r
29-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I had the most fun in 2003, where I spent the entirely year playing Eve and Planetside.

Have to say planetside was alot of fun, but alas i believe my most fun was 1999 year of the counter strike!

Kadayi
29-06-2011, 01:52 AM

Would you like next weeks lottery numbers as well?

Was 2000 a good year? Yes I guess so on paper, contextually. However I'm kind of with last baron. In terms of the medium we've not hit the necessary and inevitable technological ceiling/convergence where in the gaming experience is no longer a case of 'I'm playing a shooter', 'I'm playing an RPG', 'I'm playing a Sim' or 'I'm playing a RTS' and more a case of 'I am engaging in an experience with a myriad number of possibilities in a dynamic and reactive virtual world'. When a game is not delivering on an inherent expectation as to what it is then I think we'll truly be getting somewhere. The great games of the past have always delivered on the surprise of the experience.

In a way you are kind of seeing the stepping stones of this convergence away from the granularity of genre identity (which are really by and large mechanistic genres) with games like Mass Effect & judging from this years E3 more of that is on the way if you look at Bioshock infinite, Tomb Raider & Hitman Absolution & Prey 2.

vinraith
29-06-2011, 02:11 AM
In a way you are kind of seeing the stepping stones of this convergence away from the granularity of genre identity (which are really by and large mechanistic genres) with games like Mass Effect & judging from this years E3 more of that is on the way if you look at Bioshock infinite, Tomb Raider & Hitman Absolution & Prey 2.

That list is, in short, why you see so many people pining for the past. You call it a "convergence away from granularity of genre identity," I call it "everything turning into a shooter." There's a distressing lack of mechanical variety in that list, and if it weren't for indies and other small developers I'd be worried about the future myself.

Fortunately, the homogeneity of AAA releases lately seems to be driving an absolute renaissance of development from smaller developers, as significant chunks of the PC gaming audience simply aren't having their interests met by the big houses anymore. Better funded indie developers generating an unprecedented variety of games are the real hope for the future of the industry, IMO. At least for those of us that aren't too wild about shooters.

Kadayi
29-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Vinraith, it's 2AM so it's hardly time to write a dissertation on the subject, I'm merely throwing some pointers out there to support a position. Where you see 'shooters everywhere' I see freedom of player agency, and the more games can give you that the better. More often than not it's the completion of a well executed challenge on a players terms which people enjoy rather than the act itself.

Wizardry
29-06-2011, 02:34 AM
It's 2011 and I want to play a CRPG.

*looks around*

Fuck.

duff
29-06-2011, 03:32 AM
2000 was an absolutely vintage year. I don't think anyone could argue that a year including Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II, Diablo III and Shogun TW, wasn't a stellar year for gaming. I've almost played through atleast one of those games every year since.

2011, on paper, also looked like a potentially massive year for gaming:

Dragon Age 2 - it had its moments but for me was a massive dissapointment.
Portal 2 - possibly even better than the original.
Shogun 2 - lived up to the expectation, the best AI and art style in a TW game since the original Shogun.
Witcher 2 - fantastic in parts but sadly slipped in others, especially the last chapter. During the first chapter I was thinking to myself that it would just be a question of how great this game would be, but by the end I think the right category would be 'only' very good.

So far I have 2 greats, 1 very good and 1 shit. And we still have Skyrim, BF3, and Deus Ex 2. Of those I think Skyrim is the most likely to not live up to the hype. I guess its quite refreshing to be able to talk about some many potenitally great games in one year.

Hocevar
29-06-2011, 04:26 AM

Ultima Online

the fucking end.

soldant
29-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Might also agree with 2000 or some of the early 90s, but I think in general the "What games will we look back on from this year and blah blah" is a bit ridiculous. Deus Ex could have easily flopped, Portal could have easily been a stupid puzzle game with gimmicky gameplay, Giants: Citizen Kabuto was pretty much the Crysis of its time, Sacrifice barely made it onto the radar... normally these kind of things don't become apparent until a few years later, and even then it's highly subjective.

TillEulenspiegel
29-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Might also agree with 2000 or some of the early 90s, but I think in general the "What games will we look back on from this year and blah blah" is a bit ridiculous.
I don't really understand claims like this, for the same reason I don't understand accusations of "nostalgia". It's entirely possible to judge objective quality. Of course opinions differ, but we can acknowledge that a game is good even if we don't personally like it (http://brilliantgameologists.com/sode-307-good-vs-fun-part-1-casual/). What interesting things did the game do, and how well did it succeed in doing them? Which aspects did the intended audience like about the game?

Of course, just as few moviegoers are film critics, not all gamers will be interested in discussing game design. But it's far from subjective. If a great film is released today, nobody says "let's wait ten years to judge it".

soldant
29-06-2011, 06:05 AM
I don't really understand claims like this,
You've misinterpreted my post (and quoted it out of context). I didn't say that you can't determine "golden ages" of gaming. Nor did I say that you can't judge games at all. What I did say was that the people claiming that nothing today is going to be worth remembering is silly. I never claimed you can't judge games and make a list, just that trying to decide whether anything right now is worth remembering is silly, especially when a lot of titles haven't even been released yet and people are judging their future worth based on previews.

TheLastBaron
29-06-2011, 07:41 AM
As good as these classic games are, and as someone who spends just as much time playing these older games on my netbook as I do playing modern games on my high end pc I certainly agree that these are some of the best games ever made, when I'm about to die in 120 years give or take a decade due to medical advancements and I look back at the best gaming experience of my life will be from a game that hasn't been made yet. Just because the games that are coming out this year aren't better than the very best of all the games that have ever been made doesn't mean better things wont come out in the future.

Plus there's one thing that older games can't compete with modern games at and that's the level of multiplayer connectivity/interactivity that we have today and I don't see this trend changing. Sure there were games like U:O, hell I started playing Everquest when it came out when I was 9 and played it for years and played CS 1.5 and 1.6 at the competitive level, but looking at what we have today with things like what steam has become, things like ARPS, things like Minecraft, I don't see how this wont lead to better gaming experiences in the future than anything that's come before.

Anywhere from 1985 to 1993. If you disagree then I guess you aren't much of an RPG fan. ;)

Sorry but Fallout 1 and 2 came out in '97 and '98 respectively.

Tunips
29-06-2011, 08:02 AM
As this image clearly shows, every year was the best year in PC gaming.
Edit: Ugh, that didn't format so well. Try this link (http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1689/1275834546391.jpg)
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1689/1275834546391.jpg

Rii
29-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Epic post alert.

2007: Stalker, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Supreme Commander, CoD: Modern Warfare, Bioshock, Mass Effect

I'd add Mirror's Edge, Super Mario Galaxy and The Witcher to this accounting. In fact I suspect the former will come to outshine many of its more critically and commercially successful brethren in years to come. In any case, 2007 was easily the most impressive year of the current generation.

EDIT: Huh, for some reason I thought Mirror's Edge was released in 2007. =/

As for had the most fun, probably 2001-2004 playing HL-derived online shooters -- TFC, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, and Natural Selection. It's impossible to pick a single year from that range.

Hmm. I guess I could stretch my own 'era of maximum enjoyment' to encompass 2002 and thereby Day of Defeat. And, not incidentally, Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball and Warcraft III. And I was still heavily into Counter-Strike in 2002. Yeah, let's do that.

Rii, dammit, you can't come in and win the thread with the first post. But that 2000 lineup is pretty spectacular. Ahhh memories.

Yeah, the thread was originally going to be simply '2000 was a pretty damn awesome year in gaming'. :P

Have to say planetside was alot of fun, but alas i believe my most fun was 1999 year of the counter strike!

Hmm. If you were there right at the very beginning of the phenomenon I guess. I caught CS late in 1999 (beta 6.2 IIRC) but I still think of it as mostly a 2000s thing, the genesis fading on account of its longevity. Similar to how World of Warcraft was technically released in 2004 but I think of it as a 2005/2006 phenomenon.

Would you like next weeks lottery numbers as well?

Sure, if you got 'em!

Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot here. My point with this thread wasn't to say that gaming today sucks or that it's in decline and that you kids should get off my lawn, merely to celebrate what has turned out to be an extraordinary year in the short history of the medium.

And of course there are a variety of apparently confounding factors here, but only apparently so. I don't expect I'll ever experience the joy of gaming again as I did as a teenager, irrespective of the quality of the games that happen to be produced. That was a particular period in my life and isn't coming back. And that's fine, the nostalgia for that period is a factor, but I reject the idea that it colours my perceptions so much as to render any thoughts I might have on the current state of the medium irrelevant.

The truth is that I do think that what we now consider 'core' gaming has been in something of a rut over the last generation, gems in the rough excepted. But I don't think it's permanent. Looking back from a decade or more hence, I suspect the narrative will be that the current period was marked by three significant trends:

(1) The rise of 'casual' gaming first via Nintendo and the Wii (whose success was then aped by Sony and Microsoft), second on account of the proliferation of smartphones and other non-conventional gaming appliances, and third indirectly via the rise of social networking.

(2) The (re)birth of 'indie' games, enabled by the rise of digital distribution platforms on both PC and consoles and assisted by the factors noted above.

(3) The stagnation of the core games market as production costs soar whilst, for the first time, the size of the audience doesn't follow suit, leading an already inbred industry to engage in an orgy of incest.

Fortunately I think in future we'll see progress coming from several directions:

(1) The slow maturation and sophistication of the casual games market.
(2) Maturing production pipelines and tools (no 'next-gen leap' being in the offing) slowly eroding costs and thereby allowing for a greater degree of experimentation.
(3) Industry structural adaptation to the rise of casual and indie gaming, i.e. the establishment of innovation 'tiger teams' in the model of FOX Searchlight and similar studios for film.

However I'm kind of with last baron. In terms of the medium we've not hit the necessary and inevitable technological ceiling/convergence where in the gaming experience is no longer a case of 'I'm playing a shooter', 'I'm playing an RPG', 'I'm playing a Sim' or 'I'm playing a RTS' and more a case of 'I am engaging in an experience with a myriad number of possibilities in a dynamic and reactive virtual world'. When a game is not delivering on an inherent expectation as to what it is then I think we'll truly be getting somewhere. The great games of the past have always delivered on the surprise of the experience.

I don't have a problem with genre-blending games, and I agree that many of the more interesting and progressive games are just such titles, but I don't see why they have to come at the expense of more easily defined experiences. And in the end it's just another form of incest. If cover systems hadn't evolved through more conventionally genre-bound titles like Metal Gear Solid and Gears of War then they wouldn't have been around for Mass Effect 2 to incorporate.

It's 2011 and I want to play a CRPG.

*looks around*

Fuck.

I'm not much of an RPG person myself *ducks* but it's unfortunate that there aren't more games out there catering to your tastes.

Might also agree with 2000 or some of the early 90s, but I think in general the "What games will we look back on from this year and blah blah" is a bit ridiculous.

Except that it was in response to the ridiculous implicit claim that [x] year is just as good as [y] year. I was merely saying 'put up or shut up'.

amandachen
29-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Another vote for 1986:
Batman
The Eidolon
Fat Worm Blows A Sparky
Ghosts 'N Goblins
The Great Escape
The Happiest Days of Your Life
Heavy on the Magick
The Hobbit
Knight Tyme
Master of Magic (RPG game)
Mugsy's Revenge
Movie
Paperboy
Spellbound
Sweevo's World
The Trap Door
Yie Ar Kung-Fu

PoulWrist
29-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Edit: Ugh, that didn't format so well. Try this link (http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1689/1275834546391.jpg)
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1689/1275834546391.jpg
For some reason you left out Fallout 1 and 2 :p

soldant
29-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Except that it was in response to the ridiculous implicit claim that [x] year is just as good as [y] year.
I don't think anyone has said that. Even then these are all just opinions, why is it ridiculous for someone to suggest that x is just as good as y if it's their opinion? All I was saying was that it's not possible to determine if most of the titles from this year will still be worth remembering in 5 years time, mostly because the year isn't even finished yet.

coldvvvave
29-06-2011, 10:22 AM
For some reason you left out Fallout 1 and 2 :p

It's there, just not BIG like Starcraft or Doom.

Led Zeppelin
29-06-2011, 10:23 AM
1998 easily

Half Life
Starcraft
Baldur's Gate
Fallout 2
Grim Fandago
Unreal
Commandos
Thief

Olero
29-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Of course, just as few moviegoers are film critics, not all gamers will be interested in discussing game design. But it's far from subjective. If a great film is released today, nobody says "let's wait ten years to judge it".

Unfortunately, people don't wait even a second anymore. When for example Avatar was released and a big hype, the movie entered the IMDB top 250 in the upper charts. Now, with the hype long gone, it drops and drops. So no, it's pretty subjective as long as hype is involved. People always view new products with tinted glasses (is that a common English expression anyway?), and even after the freshness is gone, it's about fans and haters mostly.

Now, I'm not saying IMDB is good/bad, but just used it as an example. I just don't like the constant hyping of products (Iphone/pad anyone?) because people throw their common sense out of the window when it's around.

Unaco
29-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Another vote for 1986:
Batman
The Eidolon
Fat Worm Blows A Sparky
Ghosts 'N Goblins
The Great Escape
The Happiest Days of Your Life
Heavy on the Magick
The Hobbit
Knight Tyme
Master of Magic (RPG game)
Mugsy's Revenge
Movie
Paperboy
Spellbound
Sweevo's World
The Trap Door
Yie Ar Kung-Fu

You missed the original "Legend of Zelda". Was '86 as well. And "Dizzy – The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure". And "SpinDizzy". And the first "Might and Magic" cRPG, "Book 1", "King's Quest 3", and "Leather Goddesses of Phobos".

But yes... you and I are right Amandachen. 1986 was obviously the best year.

Unaco
29-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Except that it was in response to the ridiculous implicit claim that [x] year is just as good as [y] year. I was merely saying 'put up or shut up'.

Just to point out, neither Kadayi nor myself explicitly or implicitly claimed that any single given year was as good as or better than any other year, if that's what you're saying here. Kadayi said he prefers to look to the future, and not get hung up... you then demanded that he list the dozen games from this year that will be classic, and were quite dismissive of him ('put up or shut up' you say). I then gave a list of some pretty big PC games that are being released this year, stating that I wasn't certain they will become classic or whatever, because that's pretty difficult. That list wasn't saying "Hey, 2011 is just as good as 2000". It was to show that there are still a lot of big games, with the potential of becoming classics, that are being released these days and that we may, one day, look back on 2011 in the same way we look back at 2000.

Rii
29-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Just to point out, neither Kadayi nor myself explicitly or implicitly claimed that any single given year was as good as or better than any other year, if that's what you're saying here.

Let me quote: "This seems to be a variation on the 'golden age of gaming' theme."

Apparently considering the idea that certain years may have been more bountiful than others is akin to wallowing in nostalgia, pining over some lost golden age of gaming and thereby denigrating both the future and the here-and-now. If this is the case and you really can throw darts at a calender and find the same level of output everywhere - not being hindered by delusions of some 'golden age' and all - then you should be able to do just that with any given year. But of course you can't because it's fucking nonsense. Indeed, the logical extension of this idea is that games aren't art at all but merely interchangeable products.

At worst I'm guilty of taking an off-topic post as if it was actually relevant to the thread.

soldant
29-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Indeed, the logical extension of this idea is that games aren't art at all but merely interchangeable products.
That's a dangerous new direction to take the thread! Still I think you're overreacting to the original comment. Nobody ever said that every year is fantastic or that the timeline of gaming is filled with fantastic releases time after time, just that they don't think that this periodising of "greatness" is worth much. And I agree; for all the good release in 2000 I can probably dig up far worse releases (hell, Daikatana was released in 2000!). Does it mean 2000 was a crap year? Nope. It was just a year.

Apparently considering the idea that certain years may have been more bountiful than others is akin to wallowing in nostalgia, pining over some lost golden age of gaming and thereby denigrating both the future and the here-and-now
The problem is that these kinds of things imply superiority over previous or future years, sort of like "Well, we did awesome in 2000... it's all downhill from here so far!" You've pretty much pushed it in that direction now by asking someone to list current releases that will be talked about in a decade from now, and dismissed a lot of them (even ones not even released). All I was saying was that such an argument is pointless because we simply don't know the future.

Kadayi
29-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Chill guys.

Unaco
29-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Let me quote: "This seems to be a variation on the 'golden age of gaming' theme."

Apparently considering the idea that certain years may have been more bountiful than others is akin to wallowing in nostalgia, pining over some lost golden age of gaming and thereby denigrating both the future and the here-and-now.

Or, you know, Kadayi was just saying that this whole thread is quite similar to one we've had quite recently... The Golden Age of PC Gaming thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?90-Golden-age-of-pc-gaming&highlight=golden), and to a bunch of discussions of "the Golden Age" that have occurred. You read that sentence by Kadayi and you think he is attacking the concept of this thread. I read it and I think he's pointing out that we've had discussions on this subject or theme before, and those that are interested could maybe look it up... it being "The Golden Age of (PC) Gaming".

Lukasz
29-06-2011, 12:35 PM

gog happened

Kadayi
29-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Or, you know, Kadayi was just saying that this whole thread is quite similar to one we've had quite recently... The Golden Age of PC Gaming thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?90-Golden-age-of-pc-gaming&highlight=golden), and to a bunch of discussions of "the Golden Age" that have occurred. You read that sentence by Kadayi and you think he is attacking the concept of this thread. I read it and I think he's pointing out that we've had discussions on this subject or theme before, and those that are interested could maybe look it up... it being "The Golden Age of (PC) Gaming".

I think more that there is also a finality to these things rather than an opportunity for discussion. It's a case of let's total up the awesome games (whatever the genre) in a year and the one with the most is the best year (end of thread). But what does that really say within itself? There is no implication of a movement in terms of game development, merely circumstance and the good fortune of the individual to be gaming at that particular point in time. Is it regressive? Certainly it can be. A certain someone's entire repertoire of posting pretty much revolves around telling anyone who'll listen how great old games are and how terrible they are today ad infinitum.

A more interesting opportunity for discussion lies in say exploring the specific evolution of a genre from it's roots, kind of like the rock family trees of Pete Frame

http://blog.familyofrock.com/index.php/the-family/

Lukasz
29-06-2011, 01:20 PM

heh. i just count stuff and i own 85 of those games but completed 42...
which i don't believe its a bad result.

and 1998 was great too. f2, shogo, HL Baldur...

archonsod
29-06-2011, 01:28 PM
(3) The stagnation of the core games market as production costs soar whilst, for the first time, the size of the audience doesn't follow suit, leading an already inbred industry to engage in an orgy of incest.

Erm, this is the third time that's happened funnily enough.

Wizardry
29-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Sorry but Fallout 1 and 2 came out in '97 and '98 respectively.
You can go play your Fallout 1 and 2 while I stick to my classics.

somini
29-06-2011, 03:35 PM
According to that image someone posted and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_in_video_gaming I will vote for 2003.
Beyond Good and Evil,Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, XIII, GTA Vice City, POP Sands of Time, Rise of Nations, KOTOR, SimCity4,Star Wars Galaxies...
GBA SP, PSP first prototype, first version of Steam, Squeenix merging...
At least in "modern" gaming...

GothicEmperor
29-06-2011, 06:47 PM
According to that image someone posted and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_in_video_gaming I will vote for 2003.
Beyond Good and Evil,Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, XIII, GTA Vice City, POP Sands of Time, Rise of Nations, KOTOR, SimCity4,Star Wars Galaxies...
GBA SP, PSP first prototype, first version of Steam, Squeenix merging...
At least in "modern" gaming...
And we've got a winner! Totally agree.
2003 also had Raven Shield, Homeworld 2, the Secret Weapons expansion to BF1942, Max Payne 2, C&C Generals: Zero Hour and Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne. I still play some of these games to this day; my brother is an incredibly avid Homeworld 2 fan and folks still make mods for it.

Drake Sigar
29-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I thought Thief II was older than that.

ran93r
29-06-2011, 07:18 PM
It was 1998/1999 and I could be found mostly playing SiN CTF, staying up until stupid o'clock to play with US buddies.

DeekyFun
30-06-2011, 01:51 PM
1994? The year Sensible World of Soccer came out? That release alone might justify it.

D

Tei
30-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Best beards in gaming..

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/141695-beardsconfirmed.jpg

BathroomCitizen
30-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm calling for 1998

SMiD
30-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm calling for 1998

Hmmm.... I looked through the lineup there, and, for me, it's a toss-up between '98 and 2000. Both years are filled with stellar titles.