PDA

View Full Version : SSD performance on SATA II connection, bottleneck or not?

Finicky
22-07-2012, 07:57 PM
I was looking at an SSD since hdd prices are so damn high and my HDD while still functional has semi crapped out and now has damaged sectors and is also awfully slow at random read (problem when precaching in win 7 or just using the explorer tool, no real effect in games).
So an SSD as boot drive would make it snappy again for now until HDD prices drop or my HDD fails and I reluctantly have to buy a 3x overpriced new HDD.

To the point : I have an older amd AM2+ motherboard which doesn't have sata III connections. Does a modern SSD actually saturate the bandwidth of sata II or not?

If it's a real bottleneck there isn't much of a point buying an already expensive and semi useful SSD out of spite for the HDD prices.

Alex Bakke
22-07-2012, 09:41 PM
SATAII has a transfer rate of 3Giga-bits per second, which roughly translates to around 300MB/s (Taking 8b/10b into account). Considering that modern SSDs commonly have read speeds of 500MB/s and write speeds of 300MB/s, I'd argue that you're not going to get the full experience.

It would probably still be a good upgrade though. SSDs are cheaper than ever nowadays, and one would still compliment an HDD very well on SATAII.

Sakkura
22-07-2012, 11:27 PM
One of the main improvements over HDDs is response time, which the SATAII connection won't compromise. Throughput would get bottlenecked under ideal circumstances, but I'm not sure it would make a very noticeable difference.

With regard to those read and write speeds, keep in mind that the highest speeds are in many cases only achievable because the SSD compresses the data. That means that data that is incompressible doesn't get that boost. Garbage collection may also ruin the pretty numbers in some cases. Oh, and smaller drives are typically slower too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd suggest you just stay away from the more expensive high-performance SSDs. A cheaper drive will still be a big improvement over your HDD, SATAII be damned.

Finicky
23-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks, sounds good, especially the improved response times.

djbriandamage
23-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I asked a techy at work about this a short while ago - he said that there would be a noticeable bottleneck if you were copying large files, but for regular use the advantageous seek time of SSD versus HDD would still be enormously beneficial even on SATA2.