PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever tried Aurora? (Dwarf Fortress-esque 4x game)

riadsala
29-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I've been wondering if I'm brave enough to give Aurora (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.0) a try. It sounds amazing and terrifying in equal measures.

Malawi Frontier Guard
29-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes, I did give it a try once. Now I'm on meds.

Unaco
29-06-2011, 02:33 PM
No, but I am seriously tempted to try it once. What meds will I need after MFG?

riadsala
29-06-2011, 02:43 PM
No, but I am seriously tempted to try it once. What meds will I need after MFG?

if you do try it, can you let me know how you get on? A running diary and warnings of the madness that lies ahead.

I will pray for your soul.

Harlander
29-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I bounced right off Aurora's "My first Windows Forms project" interface, to my shame

CaptainWaffles
29-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I tried playing it about a year ago after a long stint with Dwarf Fortress. Maybe it's improved since then but the resources available to help clear the hurdle of the interface for new players wasn't sufficient.

Kelron
29-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I bounced right off Aurora's "My first Windows Forms project" interface, to my shame

So did I. Dwarf Fortress might be complicated but it has the advantage of huge amounts of documentation. Aurora sounds cool but it's one of those games I think about playing then load up something less taxing on my brain.

Malawi Frontier Guard
29-06-2011, 06:52 PM
If you live in a country where the decimal separator is a comma, please change your regional settings to either UK or US (where the decimal separator is a period) when playing Aurora. If you don't change this, you will get a LOT of errors.

I will give it another try though. Right now.

Edit: I don't know what any of this means. I don't know what any of it means!

TimA
29-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I've played it a little bit. I really love the idea, being able to completely customise your spacecraft is great fun. But of course the UI is pretty much non-existent, and there weren't any decent tutorials when I last looked. I ended up creating a game with no enemies where I could just design ships to fly around the solar system. Good sandbox fun, but one of the most impenetrable interfaces I've ever seen.

oatish
29-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Man, I have always wanted to try this. It seems to be a fascinating mix of 4x-madness and a "simulation-degree" of detail all wrapped up in an impenetrable UI. I just don't have enough time to fight with an interface , learn the mechanics of a new, big strategy game and then actually play it - I would pretty much just get to the 1st half and then have to work / sleep / obligation / excuses / y'know

I feel like I'm on this quest to find the ultimate Space 4x game for me and then I can just rest on my laurels and click Next Turn to my heart's content... one day.

Lukasz
29-06-2011, 09:10 PM
do you have to actually micromanage ever single thing?
like do you need to ensure that every single of your ship has enough fuel, lifesupport?

Kelron
29-06-2011, 10:53 PM
do you have to actually micromanage ever single thing?
like do you need to ensure that every single of your ship has enough fuel, lifesupport?

My first attempt at playing ended when I was trying to work out if it seriously expected me to manually enter the parameters for my weapon targeting computers without knowing the significance of any of them.

riadsala
30-06-2011, 08:50 AM
This game sounds even scarier than I thought!

Peter Radiator Full Pig
30-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Like Dwarf Fortress, I game I am hugely interested in, but not untill it gets an interface thats usable.

DukeOfChutney
30-06-2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47678.0

long extensive thread here on the dwarffortress site

Ive tried it, but it requires a monitor bigger than mine (17in). I will give it another shot when i get round to upgrading my PC

Pijama
01-07-2011, 07:34 AM
The day that these monster one-man army developers start doing GUIs, they will conquer PC gaming. I love their ideas, but if you are unwilling to bridge them to me, then the effort I have to make can be outright frustrating and disappointing.

Basically they are the equivalent of your brilliant but absent-minded and introverted university professor in gaming.

Harlander
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I never used to understand people's difficulty with the Dwarf Fortress HMI - "all the controls were down the side and listed at all times, what's the problem?" I thought.

Then I tried the latest version of the Military system controls. "Hjurrrrk!" I said in alarm.

Malawi Frontier Guard
01-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Interface design and game design are deeply intertwined. A designer only focusing on the game and not the interface ultimately only designs for himself, not for others.

I guess it's okay if that was your intention.

Edit @ Harlander: Exactly. DF really needs a redesign soon, otherwise every new screen will be like the military controls. It will be painful, it will not be immediately accepted but it's necessary.

0WaxMan0
12-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Tis a fantastic game but sucks your life away more than any good MMO. The designer originally made it as a simulator to help him write After action reports if you want to get into the game best place to do so is read some of them start with this one (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=5aa51e65e5fe982513caf4b6070aa9 f0&board=16.0).

Kelron
12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
I did eventually manage to break the surface of this, but it doesn't grab me in the same way Dwarf Fortress does. It's all very fiddly and when you run into something you don't understand, the only choice is generally to ask on the forums and wait for a reply, as the wiki and tutorials are very limited.

I'll try reading some AARs and see if it renews my interest in the game, but what I'd really love is something like this with relativistic movement and communication.