PDA

View Full Version : Your fondest gaming memories?

BobsLawnService
29-06-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm curious to hear about a few of these.

Tikey
29-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, I'd say that one of them is me playing doom 2 with my brother in "co-op". He moved the character, I was in charge of firing the guns.

TimA
29-06-2011, 06:36 PM
When this subject comes up the first thing that always springs to my mind is PlanetSide. So many amazing memories in those first few months: epic bridge battles, coordinated paratrooper drops, sneaking stealthily around enemy towers, waiting in the courtyard of a base before an enemy attack when a rain storm broke out, and Jim running me over in an ANT when I crossed a road without looking.

Brilliant game, hope they can bring back some of that magic.

GothicEmperor
29-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Getting to the flying vehicle part of Beyond Good and Evil. It just opened up another layer on the game so far, and the story bits surrounding the moment you get the thing are quite touching as well.

Harlander
29-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Among my fondest gaming memories has to be finally ascending in Nethack. It was on the /dev/null public Nethack server, as I recall. I'd first played the game over a decade before.

BobsLawnService
29-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I personally couldn't think of one so I'll go with two.

The first, second in chronological order, was me and two friends in our early twenties, getting together for a weekend at the one guys parents place and lanning together. On that occasion it was Serious Sam on the hardest difficulty setting co-op. It was the Friday evening - after setting up and having a beer or two we started in earnest. It was probably at about 8pm. We played through until sunrise the next morning -dying frequently, laughing, ribbing each other and our skills and just generally acting like a bunch of stupid guys having a blast. We ended up finishing the game, passing out as the rest of the house was waking up and sleeping until noon.

The other was when I was about thirteen I was at a boarding school. Since my folks stayed in a tiny town and I didn't have any friends there school holidays were spent gaming when I was there. (This lasted about eight or nine months before we moved on again.) I remember getting a copy of Wing Commander 2 and the expansions from a friend at school to play and I was absolutely blown away. The music, the graphics, the story that felt just so cinematic back when that was a real achievement. That holiday I ate, breathed and slept Wing Commander 2.

Good times.

OctaneHugo
29-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Well, I'd say that one of them is me playing doom 2 with my brother in "co-op". He moved the character, I was in charge of firing the guns.
I remember watching my dad play through Wolf 3D, the first 2 Doom games and Quake II as a kid. Playing through them a few years later gave me a really nice sense of deja vu. Ditto when I watched him play through Return to Castle Wolfenstein and then got into both the singleplayer and the multiplayer afterwards - which is definitely one of my favorite memories.

So many awesome battles on mp_tram, trying to figure out where on that huge map the documents were or lying in wait with teammates as we watched enemies roll in on the tram, sneaking into the guard towers on mp_dam and sniping or making a final charge towards the objective to dynamite it, making the initial charge on the castle in mp_keep and dodging grenades, playing long, drawn out battles that ran down to the wire in Stopwatch on this map that had a series of gates to open and close and a large underground network leading to either base that I can't remember the name of...man, escaping to the truck on mp_village with the documents was one of the most heart pounding moments I've ever had in a multiplayer game. God I loved RtCW. I can't remember all the map names but I can remember the layout of each like the back of my hand. There was a stretch of about 3 years where when it got to be winter and it was too cold and dark to bike ride over to my friends' houses I'd come home from school, do any homework I had and just play Wolf for hours and hours. Whenever I'd stay home sick I'd pop on and play with all these cool European guys in the morning, I remember. I miss that multiplayer so much ;-; Only game to rival it is TF2.

EndelNurk
29-06-2011, 11:03 PM
TF2 was a turning point for me. In other multiplayer games I had had a fairly unpleasant time. I jumped onto a 2fort server as a medic on the losing team. I could tell they were a bit of a shambles, even then, but that's fair enough. I started healing a Heavy close to the front lines and I remember he turned towards the enemy and charged. It felt good to be helping my team and also seemed like I was helping the Heavy to play better and have the confidence to attack. That was the first time I understood why people really love team-based shooters.

Another that I had forgotten: Playing Novgorod in Medieval: Total War. I don't quite recall how, but I had managed to get enough resources to field an army entirely made up of boyars. I think I was playing with double normal unit size as well so that makes quite a lot of them. It came time to fight the Golden Horde and I sent them into battle. I spread them out in a single line across one end of the map, every unit in wedge formation. Then I simply charged each one to the opposite end of the map, not paying attention to any enemy unit or any terrain. The boyars sliced through them beautifully, leaving only the few surviving heavy cavalry and the reinforcements to deal with in a more intelligent manner.

Kablooie
29-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Playing Populous and Elite on my Amiga, Dungeon Keeper on the PC.

Baldur's Gate on a LAN with a tabletop-gaming friend.

westyfield
29-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Project Reality, back in 2006 or 2007, I was on a random server, pretty much the first time I'd played PR. I joined a squad and nervously followed orders for a bit, before announcing that I was new and didn't really know what was going on. Instead of being shouted down with 'n00b' or 'rtfm', the squad, the SL in particular, very patiently explained what was similar to vBF2, what was different, what was best for a new player and so on. I kept coming back to that server, and eventually visited their forums and signed up.
I've been a member of that community ever since, through PR, 2142, ArmA, TF2, BC2 and many more games, and it might never have happened had those guys not been so kind and welcoming towards me. There's probably a lesson somewhere in this story.

Kadayi
30-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Playing Messiah by Shiny entertainment. Janky as hell in many ways, but I just loved the mechanic of possession in respect of how more often than not the key to solving a puzzle was to sacrifice your host in ever more amusing ways, and you never really knew what to expect from the next level. Never quite finished it because the final boss fight was hard as coffin nails (cue someone explaining how easy it was), but really enjoyed the Journey up until that point. Plus it had that whole dystopian but slightly whimsical Lexx style Sci-fi vibe to it, and there's just not really enough of that doing the rounds ever tbh.

soldant
30-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Playing Wolfenstein 3D with mum. She opened doors, I did everything else. Then again it's a close tie between that and playing Team Fortress Classic for the first time, which was the first MP game that really managed to captivate me (QTF just didn't do it for me, Quake was too fast). I'll never forget sitting through a 32MB update on my unstable dialup connection, playing for the first time, only for a 60MB update or something to be released the next day.

Jams O'Donnell
30-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Counter Strike: I nipped out for a wee between rounds, and returned for the next round to find I'd missed the buy period and that all of my team was dead and the other team were all still alive. To make matters worse, I was the only HPB on the server. Somehow, magically, I managed to kill all of the other team, including a lovely bit of psyche-out cat and mouse with the last guy (who was godly at CS). When the next round started and I could hear all of my team's voice comms again the noise & cheering & encouragement was unbelievable.

I always just thought of myself as decent at CS -- I tended to end up in the top five people on the server, but never came out on top. I was well chuffed with that performance, and knew I'd never repeat it.

(<3 _={dMw}=_, crazy ass clan tag be damned.)

Ian
30-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Well getting the Sega Mega Drive has to be up there. We'd had a Gameboy but while I was a bit addicted to Super Mario Land it didn't hook me in the same way that Sonic the Hedgehog did. It really was love at first sight.

Dunno what else'd be in there... some of my best multiplayering was playing Pro Evo with a mate at uni. He'd come to our flat and we'd end up playing and laughing at an awful lot of things that weren't very funny until all hours of the morning. Sometimes with the aid of drink, sometimes not. Just really good fun, and what playing-in-the-same-room multiplayer is all about.

For that it's maligned by many (and not entirely for reasons I don't agree or at least sympathise with) my mind was a bit blown by WoW. Or the scale of it, more to the point. It was when I first tried it and I stood on a hilltop in Dun Morogh and started comparing things that looked to be ages away but I knew that a) I could go and look at and b) how relatively close it was on the World Map. I take it all for granted now and I've played more games with huge worlds, but then I was completely overawed by it.

Last one I'll mention just now is from Oblivion. I've said in a number of threads how I'm a comparitive latecomer to PC gaming, and I think Oblivion was probably the first game I'd played where it eventually just plonks you down in the world and leaves you to it. The much talked about moment when you finally escape the sewer/dungeon and the handholding stops. I span around for a minute, looking at everything and waiting for further instruction and then got a little giddy when none were forthcoming. I immediately struck off for whatever the most interesting thing I could see was and had myself a hell of a time.

Those were the first few fond gaming memories that sprung to mind, seperating those from "that time I played this classic game".

There's any number of other multiplayer based ones that don't differ that much, though a mention should probably go to my late grandmother who when I was young would play some games with me. Despite that a) she was absolutely terrible, b) had no idea what was going on and c) almost certainly didn't care. And yet there she was, playing Eternal Champions with me and letting me set her up for the special scenery-kills.

Estel
30-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Elite Beat Agents (Nintendo DS). The level for "You're the inspiration". Makes me break down every single time :'(

Olero
30-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I remember playing Shadow Company co-op with a friend of mine (while there was no Jagged Alliance 2 multiplayer at that time), finishing the game in one loooooong night session, while getting better and better at it, but also sloppier due to sleepyness. Great times, and I still install the game sometimes, but it's just not fun enough in single player.

My first online multiplayer experience was with the Lucasarts game Outlaws, the pixely western FPS. It was on the dreaded Microsoft Gaming Zone, which hosted the lobby and games in a good ol' laggy way. The community was absolutely one of the friendliest I've ever encountered online, and I remember that I was one of the younger players there with my 17/18 years old at that time. The custom map scene and the clan/posse scene were huge, and I spent as much time shooting gringos with Spittin' Jack Sanchez (and blowing them up with TNT) as I spent on Paleface.net looking for maps and on the ACS headquarters for news about the clan I joint. I still miss these days occasionally!

DeekyFun
30-06-2011, 01:47 PM
TIE Fighter: Admiral Harkov just wants you to clear some mines, how hard can it be... first time playing that mission was fantastic.

D

Wizardry
30-06-2011, 02:50 PM
The much talked about moment when you finally escape the sewer/dungeon and the handholding stops.
The hand holding never stops. Quest compass.

Joseph
30-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Probably in SWG with my first proper guild. They had a wide range of players (Old/young, men/women, different nationalities) and everyone got on brilliantly, but what made it for me is when I won crutial points in one of the Guild Games (Like a player made Olympics betweens guilds) in a speeder bike race.

Another is when I was at a mate's house and we were playing DoD on one PC just taking it in turns for 5 or so deaths each. I was getting really pissed off on the Avalanche because the Axis team were so well dug it, so what I did was run past a bunch of guys firing at me in the courtyard and then up through the buildings and back through their positions killing everyone I saw (This was effectively working from their base back to me base). By the time I'd done it I was almost shaking from how unbelievable it was for me.

cpugeek13
30-06-2011, 03:50 PM
One of my earliest (and fondest) gaming memories was of playing the Kings Quest games as a kid. My dad bought me this really awesome strategy guide I would use to beat the games, though the best thing about it was the fiction written in it. This book had two parts: a walkthrough, and what were essentially novelizations of the games. These stories weren't exactly Pulitzer prize quality, but they made the games really come alive to me as a kid. Also, they had these great hand drawn maps for each of the games. This book made me love to read as a child (and also elevated my reading level much higher than my classmates at the time), so I am grateful for it (and the games too, which started my other hobby--gaming).

SMiD
30-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Hot-seat games of Worms Armageddon. I used to play this with my two younger brothers and seeing the rage in their faces whenever I'd manage a particularly devastating shot brought me such joy. Also, if they pulled some cheap shit, they were within punching range. Good times.

The JG Man
30-06-2011, 04:32 PM
The first time I ever got Super Sonic in Sonic 2. Closely, very closely, followed by the first time I completed Super Mario Bros. 3.

Then 3-7 are assorted moments from any Battlefield game. We'll go with 3 being evacuating an exploding Titan that isn't yours, and 4 being taking out an aerial unit with a tank's main cannon.

thegooseking
30-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Playing the 1989 racing game Vette!, when I realised I could ignore the race and explore a very cubist San Francisco. And thus was my love of open-world gaming born.

(Even to this day, when I'm considering a racing game, I'm far more interested in whether it's open world or on a track than I am in anything else.)

Ian
30-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Yes, but the clear difference is that in the dungeon if you decide not to follow it that involves playing a different game. Knowing where a quest is is a very different thing to having to give a shit. I didn't go near the main quest for about a week.

SMiD
30-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes, but the clear difference is that in the dungeon if you decide not to follow it that involves playing a different game. Knowing where a quest is is a very different thing to having to give a shit. I didn't go near the main quest for about a week.

Oh no. No no no no no. We're not derailing this thread into another bitchfest about RPGs. Fond memories only. Leave your preaching at the door.

Jockie
30-06-2011, 05:36 PM
The period of my life where as a gamer I had pretty much no money could have been dreadful, but for one website. That website allowed me to plunder and pick from titles from all genres and essentially provided me with a comprehensive pc gaming history course. It's just a shell of the site it once was, but Home of The Underdogs (http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/) in its heyday was a glorious thing.

BathroomCitizen
30-06-2011, 05:47 PM
I remember fondly when I played Quake 1 singleplayer taking turns with a friend of mine when we were at elementary school. Each time one of us died, the other one started playing.

Or, sometimes, he took the controls to move and I took the shoot controls, and viceversa.

Another glorious time was when I read the review of this thing called Starsiege: Tribes on the Pc Gamer US magazine (that got translated in italian) and all the features the reviewer talked about seemed stuff of the future, like open huge terrain - with also seamless interior/exterior transition - flying with jetpacks, teamwork and VEHICLES! We still didn't really have vehicles in games at the time, so it was mega-cool!

Some time later my dad bought Tribes for me and I was in gaming heaven: I played that game the whole summer joining an italian clan and doing some clanmatches. It's still one of my fondest gaming memories!

BobsLawnService
30-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Wizardry, I mean this in the nicest possible way - Fuck off. We all get it. Please find a new schtick this one is past its sell by date.

On topic : I find it really interesting how many of these favourite moments are multi-player. Another great moment of mine was 2 vs. 2 Starcraft back when I was studying. We tended to play turtle games and I had a reputation for using ghosts and nukes when I played terran. One of my opponents spent half the game taunting me that he had developed an invincible fortress with detectors and a rapid strike force to nail any of my ghosts before they would have a chance to nuke him. Needless to say I found the tiniest gap. Literally one or two pixels and I snuck my ghost past and plopped a nuke right in the heart of his base. His shout of anguish was classic and will stay with me for the rest of my life. Good times

squareking
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Waiting an hour or so to download the shareware version of Quake on 56k. Finished downloading at about 10pm; stopped playing at 5am.

Meeting a guy at a computer shop down the street from my house and discovering he was into gaming. He copied several Dooms, maps, mods and Duke Nukem 3D to a few dozen floppies for me.

Slapping mistresses and unleashing L10 Horned Reapers in Dungeon Keeper.

The nuke scene and All Ghillied Up in COD4.

JohnnyK
01-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Quickly popping into my head:
* Beating Great Giana Sisters with 8 extralifes left
* Playing Samantha Fox Strip Poker at a friends place, always fearful his mum would catch us ogling nekkid women.
* Landing the F18 on a carrier in Interceptor for the first time
* Destroying my brother in Sensible Soccer
* Any game of Worms that included some college friends and some weed
* Endless nights of awesome teamplay in BF42
* Going from never having played an MMORPG to lots of levelling fun to thinking UBRS was raiding to a server-first clearance of Blackwing Lair in WoW. I stopped playing before BC came out, but that was lots of fun (but also a huge timesink)
* Oh, and Stunt Car Racer battles

The JG Man
02-08-2011, 02:20 AM
This thread doesn't have as much attention as it should do. So yes, I'm bringing it back from the brink.

Triggering this comes from a TV Tropes crawl where I ended up on the Halo pages for some time. I might've already given an answer above, but damn, if the ending to Halo 1 isn't all kinds of crazy awesome; intense firefights going on all around you and you barely use a gun, one of the best theme tunes for anything that somehow manages to be in time with everything you're doing and that sweat-inducing countdown.

Donjo
02-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I vaguely remember my Dad playing Manic Miner and when my older brother
got the C64 Night Moves pack.. birthday Street Fighter 2 tournament, leader
board on the wall, masses of excitement and hysteria :) Making Duke3d maps
with my brother, never seeming to finish any, just always trying new ideas..
getting Hexen to work after what seemed like hours of fiddling. Getting back
from work one day, dismayed to find that my brother had put together a new
computer that had arrived that morning.. was really looking forward to
constructing it :) Vivid memories taking turns playing SNES games with cousins,
Mario World, Turtles in Time and The Adams Family over the course of different summers.

Edit: Oh yeah, there was this instructional tape that came with the Commodore 64,
I remember going on a family holiday, in the car for hours, after we had listened to
Thriller for the thousandth time for some reason we decided to listen the C64 tape.
There was this bit in it where the guy was explained the difference between hardware
and software by saying that if you dropped hardware on your foot you'd go "AAAOOUURRGHHH!"
It had us in hysterics, we wanted to listen to it over and over :)

agentorange
02-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Playing MechWarrior 2 for the first time, in my dads work office. He had a joystick and everything, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to properly play the game, but I still had hours of fun looking at those holographic displays of the mechs.

Nalano
02-08-2011, 02:59 AM
More or less a "you had to have been there (http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=37688)" moment.

Distilled from a number of Alterac Valleys with a small premade, killing more than the rest of the team combined, back when you had a reasonable chance of seeing folks from your same server on either side.

Two years later, the folks I killed remembered me so much that they sought me out IRL, got me drunk, and convinced me to run with them Horde-side. The results were (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/WoWScrnShot_100309_161230.jpg) ridiculous (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/WoWScrnShot_101709_175712.jpg).

Edit:

On topic : I find it really interesting how many of these favourite moments are multi-player.

With all due respect to John Walker (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/look-single-player-people-are-just-better/), to me the experience isn't "real" unless I'm sharing it with somebody else. Single Player gives the best consistent experience, but Multiplayer has the greatest breakout moments of - what's the term? "Emergent gameplay."

arathain
02-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Ahh, there are lots of these. Some of them I even remember. Still, since we seem to be on a multiplayer theme:

Team Fortress 2- there's an achievement for killing 5 players with the Heavy without letting your gun spin down. I'm not the achievement seeking type. If it happens, it happens, and I enjoy it the more for not having sought it. Anyhow, start of the round on Goldrush, defending the cart. Our team was small: 6 or 7 players. Unusually, two were Medics, one with the regular Medigun, one with the Kritzkrieg. They both decided to spend their charge on me. The opposition rushed out of the gate to find an invincible, criticaling Heavy with a red mist descending over his eyes. Those were 10 truly wonderful, glorious moments, when I truly felt like a huge powerful being with an absurdly large gun.

Ayam
02-08-2011, 03:58 AM
In the C64 era - just the general Saturday late morning to early afternoon at a friend's place playing Last Ninja and Yie Ar Kung Fu amongst loads of others. Lugging my rounded Cheetah joystick there because I could never get over how angular (and uncomfortable) his Quickshot Pro was.

edit: oh, and Patrick Moore as the GameMaster uniting a nation of kids under the banner of a terrible show.

The JG Man
02-08-2011, 04:03 AM
but Multiplayer has the greatest breakout moments of - what's the term? "Emergent gameplay."

AI will be programmed to react to you in certain ways. In multiplayer, the amount of dynamic actions is multiplied by at least 2, if there's only 2 people. Now, multiply that until you have your game's max player count. Well designed MP will always be more dynamic.

Running away from a jeep in single player as it explodes, lifts up into the air and lands on the other side of you will not be as exciting as it happening in multiplayer, when that explosion is caused by an ally tank far away getting it just in time, as you look over head as the jeep rolls in flames in the air. You knew you were supposed to die, yet with someone else there, you didn't. This can only happen in cut-scenes in SP because how can the game control how much damage you take? If you suddenly start taking no damage, it doesn't feel as cool, only that you know that event had to have triggered when you took that much damage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my SP games, but MP's design will mean that it'll be easier for memorable moments. The human touch, as it were.

Splynter
02-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Back to the single player side of things, one of my fondest moments was in Homeworld.

My father had bought the game for me knowing nothing about it other than that it was critically acclaimed. I got home, installed the game on my parent's computer and started playing with the both of them looking over my shoulder (a very rare event. They don't play or really understand video games, but they appreciate that my interest in them is not some destructive addiction). The game opened up above to the first mission, and my father exclaimed "That's Barber!". I was entranced by the beauty of the visual scene put together, with the perfectly done radio coms voice-overs and the scaffolding floating in orbit. I knew right then that I was in for something special, and boy was I. Few games have done atmosphere as well as Homeworld did back then, and I still count it as one of the best games I have ever played.

Edit: It seems that my memories are not quite accurate. Barber doesn't play during the tutorial mission, so this memory seems to be a combination of playing through the first couple of missions. The meaning for me is still the same. It has been a while...

Nalano
02-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love my SP games, but MP's design will mean that it'll be easier for memorable moments. The human touch, as it were.

Killing mans isn't nearly as satisfying as discovering exactly what they're saying about you on Vent as you kill them.

8-bit
02-08-2011, 05:14 AM
using the speed boat during the Venice mission in tomb raider 2 was always what I looked forward to the most when I played.

my first fps was dark forces, playing through that first level was mind blowing for someone who had only really been exposed to cute platformers. I still have the disk lying around I think, anyone know if it works on modern systems?

I also fondly remember the early sections of ff8, until about two thirds of the way through the game was rather brilliant. I like to pretend the rest didn't happen.

and a couple of console moments, the ending to links awakening, and me and my dad finishing sonic 2 after about a million attempts.

SMiD
02-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Red Alert was THE PC game that got me interested in this whole affair. After playing it many Sundays at a friends house (due to not having a computer at mine) I was enthralled by base building, tanks rushes, and Tanya. When the family finally did get a PC, I knew I needed to get my hands on a copy of RA. I'll never forget that Christmas when I opened my last present to find the Worldwide Warfare compilation. C&C, Covert Ops, RA, Counterstrike (ANTS!), and Aftermath. PC gaming rules.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
02-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Playing KotOR for the first time.

Mortal Kombat 2 and Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES.

Unreal Tournament and Age of Empires 2 (my first pc games)

Codor
02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Playing Sonic 2 on a 'lose a life or complete a stage and we switch controllers' basis with 4 other people on someone else's megadrive before we had anything, a loooong time ago.

The entire Deus Ex demo, every try of 20 I played through it. Merging with Helios. Saving Paul first run through.

Killing M'uru after 3 months trying, and getting Death's Demise after 4.

And just because it has stuck in my memory as my favorite game ever, coming back to win in a game of LoL where at one point we had 1 turret left, no inhibitors, they had baron and all but 1 turret up. Game with friends and none of us could believe we had won because we had just started taking the piss and charging in suicidally, and suddenly it started working!

lunarplasma
02-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I have very specific memories of being sat in an air-conditioned room, with only a incandescent bulb behind me providing "moody" light while I was playing Pirates! Gold.

I was 11 and it was past my bedtime.

Skalpadda
02-08-2011, 08:19 AM
My mum teaching me to play Zelda, I think that's what sold me on gaming as a hobby.

Skeletor68
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Too many to fit them all but...

Super Metroid on the SNES. The atmosphere and exploration were amazing. Just landing on the planet for the first time with the rain and flashes of lightning in the background.

Total Annihilation: So much ridiculous fun and used to play it with my lil brothers all the time.

Unreal: I'm starting to see a pattern here, exploration and atmosphere by the bucketload.

Morrowind: Again exploration of what felt like such a distinctive world. Even though there were orcs and elves it felt different to any other game I had been playing. In particular finding that viking longship in the underground cave. Mesmerising.

KOTOR: Bastila, NNOOOOOO!!!!

Street Fighter Alpha 3: Beating Bison for the first time on hardest difficulty .

Xercies
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
My brother showing me Secret of Monkey Island for the first time and helping me out and showing me al lthe cool and funny stuff.

Going down to the school my dad worked for and playing Quake 2 LAN with all the family, with character mods having different characters like Homer Simpson, The tellytubbies and other stuff. That was really great :)

Playing co-op with my brother on the N64.

Me and my friend playing Morrowind and just talking about all the strange and exciting things that we did in the game.

BathroomCitizen
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Going down to the school my dad worked for and playing Quake 2 LAN with all the family, with character mods having different characters like Homer Simpson, The tellytubbies and other stuff. That was really great :)

Haha, yeah! I remember as a young kid that I scoured the Internet for hours in search of new Quake 2 character models and skins! It was so exciting, and so colorfoul in my memory :) There was this website called 'The Bodyshop' that was huge in its Quake 2 characters model list!

The first mod I've ever tried for Quake 2 was Action Quake 2. Damn, was it good. It even had a kung-fu flying kick that could disarm your opponent if you got close enough!

mr.doo
02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Finishing mafia 1. Best.Ending.Ever.

Plankton
02-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Finishing mafia 1. Best.Ending.Ever.
I second this. I believe I was close to tears. Such a strong ending.

I also love the Little Big Adventure 2 ending. It's just EVERYONE having a good time at the big victory party. The cutscene is really long, if I remember correctly. Damn, I wish I still had this game.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Drinking a huge mug of Milo while playing the original Civilization on an icy cold raining Winter's morning one Sunday when I was twelve. The smell of the peanut butter biscuits my mother was baking in the kitchen, my brother and sister watching something on TV in the background, the rustle of my old man reading the Sunday paper and my cat on the blanket on my lap. The Russians were pressing my civilization hard on one flank and the Mongols were being the Mongols. I remember losing that game. It isn't my most visceral gaming moment and I swear this isn't just rose tinted glasses and hindsight talking but even back then something just felt right - as if the universe was, for one brief morning, in total equalibrium.

Donjo
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
In the C64 era - just the general Saturday late morning to early afternoon at a friend's place playing Last Ninja and Yie Ar Kung Fu amongst loads of others. Lugging my rounded Cheetah joystick there because I could never get over how angular (and uncomfortable) his Quickshot Pro was.

edit: oh, and Patrick Moore as the GameMaster uniting a nation of kids under the banner of a terrible show.

Terrible show?!!? Pants to you Ayam, pants to you.

Edit: Marathon four player sessions of Goldeneye on the N64. Lowest score had to make way for another player. God damned proximity mines and no YOU CAN'T PICK ODDJOB. (If you've never played it: Oddjob is a lot smaller than the other characters, so when you round a corner and run into him you're going to be shooting over his head. Infuriating.)

SMiD
02-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Terrible show?!!? Pants to you Ayam, pants to you.

Edit: Marathon four player sessions of Goldeneye on the N64. Lowest score had to make way for another player. God damned proximity mines and no YOU CAN'T PICK ODDJOB. (If you've never played it: Oddjob is a lot smaller than the other characters, so when you round a corner and run into him you're going to be shooting over his head. Infuriating.)

Re: Goldeneye

License to Kill & Slappers Only. You're welcome.

Xercies
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Me and my brother once had a multiplayer games with the Big head cheat and we were going around to see how many hats we could take off the guards, it was absolutly hilarious in my childhood mind.

sinister agent
03-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Oh man.

I pretty much date my childhood and adolescence by what games I'd bought/was playing at any given time, so there are more than I could possibly recount here.

But I'll say two that stand out: Playing The Settlers (amiga, obv) co-op with a friend from school for dozens of hours over the course of a few months. Particularly when due to poor memory and communication skills, we somehow ended up building three enormous garrisons right in the heart of our empire, then as we were too stubborn to demolish them, had to spend ages trying to gather enough supplies to actually fill them with soldiers.

And a really big one: A few years ago, after I'd broken up with a girlfriend I was madly in love with, I took out some of the money I'd been saving to go on holiday with her, and bought a second hand 360 and a copy of Crackdown.

For the rest of that summer, a friend who lived nearby would visit almost every day. We'd cook a quick meal, get some drinks in, and take turns playing Crackdown (I only had one controller) until as late as 4am, when he'd stagger home as the sun came up, and I'd fall asleep on the sofa. We'd then go to work, complain at each other by email about how tired and bored we were, then do it all over again.

At the time, it was close to the worst period of my life, but thanks to him, and to a lesser extent Crackdown, it's the hours upon hours of excitement and helpless, tearful laughter that I remember, not the heartbreak and trauma and all that other crap.

Several moments stand out, but few more than him plummeting 50 floors off a skyscraper, smacking into the pavement and standing up with only a sliver of health remaining. As he took a few cautious steps forward, the voiceover guy gave a rare timely comment of "that was close!".

And then a bus hit him.

agentorange
03-08-2011, 02:50 AM
The first time I played Fallout 1 was a pretty big moment too I suppose. Up till then I had mostly played JRPGs, which are fairly on rails in terms of progression; when I played Fallout I discovered the Super Mutant Base right after leaving Shady Sands, and got captured obviously. After much saving and reloading I managed to make it out (it was a good thing I had dumped points into sneak). It was the first time I had done something out of order, and experienced a pretty big level of freedom, in an RPG, and the fact that the game allowed me to do that was a big deal to me. It's what got me into CRPGs, which I had ignored until then.

Similar
03-08-2011, 03:10 AM
There are many.

Going to a friend's house during the school lunch break to play Elite on his family's BBC. Totally blew me away that you could do so much and have so much freedom in a game (when I later got a C64, I played the same commander for several years. Never did become Elite, though, and I didn't like the Amiga version, so that's one game I never finished, but not for lack of trying).

Battlefield 1942. Kharkov. I was blown into the air by a near-miss from a tank, hit the parachute and drifted into the river and felt rather good about surviving that elegantly (I hadn't been playing for that long) until I turned around just in time to see an enemy player shoot me in the head with a bazooka. I made a comment about shooting a drowning man which she laughed at and that was the beginning of something that eventually turned into a relationship (a short one due to immigration laws and other things, but very memorable).

Vexing Vision
03-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Killing the sorceress of one of my best friends with a knight in Archon on a C64 revival party a few years ago.

So, so sweet.

/Edit:
The most awesome moment in gaming was also the most awesome moment in roleplaying for me. I was playing Padermud (Xyllomer), a German-hosted-but-English-languaged roleplaying MUD. After a few sessions, my character began to take a life of her own, doing things I actually didn't want her to do.

That was a fantastic (if a bit scary) experience.

Spakkenkhrist
03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Wizardry, I mean this in the nicest possible way - Fuck off. We all get it. Please find a new schtick this one is past its sell by date.

Amen to that.

Frontier Elite 2, UFO and Cannon Fodder on the Amiga, not my earliest games by any means (that was on the intellivision) but these were the ones I really got stuck into in a big way.

Edawan
03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
All the gaming i did with my cousin, including almost a year of messing with the Duke3D map editor. We were crazy about it ; when we weren't at the computer we were drawing maps and discussing features.

I remember when I found how to palette swap and how to use a skybox I was ecstatic !
We had a map we worked on together when I was at his place, and had each a map we worked on and showed when we saw each other. Then when I found how to copy/paste map sections we melded all that in one huge map. It was silly but very fun.

rhizo
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's a couple of gaming moments that I'll probably always remember:

1. I was booting up Pirates! on my Amiga and an error message appeared and halted the machine. I was devastated and couldn't believe my bad luck since I absolutely adored that game. I didn't try again until a couple of days later but the same message kept popping up. This time however I didn't shut down the system but rather pressed the OK button and to my amazement the game booted up and I was able to play on. The sense of relief was something special to a young kid and I was impressed by my ability to "work through" a technical issue. Never found out if the error actually caused something to not function properly.

2. A buddy of mine and I used to play X-COM Enemy Unknown together. We always picked the best and the brightest characters and renamed them after ourselves. We also went through the earlier missions with extremely low-weight kits (pistols and a few clips) and just a couple of guys reloading like crazy if something bad happened to our super soldiers. I remember the atmosphere being so engrossing and the suspension of having to rambo through the levels only adding to the enjoyment. Needless to say when the missions got tougher we needed to get some more meat shields in the Skyranger but the hero soldiers had developed some amazing stats by then.

3. I had just started playing RTCW: Enemy Territory with a friend of mine and we were noobing it up on some public servers. I always seemed to be a step or two behind in the actual shootering bits and was reasonably content as a lowly engineer going after the objective with a kamikaze attitude. One day my friend came over and I happened to be on a server so my friend had a go with my setup. After trying to play for a couple of spawn cycles, he was truly surprised I had managed to play as well as I did, as it seemed there was something terribly wrong with my mouse. It was one of those early wireless Microsoft thingies and I had always thought it a pretty decent mouse. My friend recommended I'd get a proper gaming mouse but I didn't really think that would make a real difference. Nevertheless I ordered Logitech MX510 when I next came to some money and was absolutely blown away by the difference. That realisation started an extremely satisfying 3 years with the game as I noticed I was considerably above average with my new setup. I started to play competitively soon after and made some great friends along the way. I still miss that game and could still go through our attacking tactics on sw_goldrush in my sleep :).

Nalano
03-08-2011, 02:38 PM
3. I had just started playing RTCW: Enemy Territory with a friend of mine and we were noobing it up on some public servers.

I remember RTCW.

Specifically, I remember just how much of a bastard the noob with the flamethrower (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/9/17/) was.

Nalano
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I will always remember the first time I played Street Fighter on the arcades. That was soooo awesome...

Did your arcade have the stunted cretin who sat in the dark from 3pm 'til closing time and whose only purpose in life was to destroy you utterly for not having already committed every endless combo to muscle memory?

Because if that guy didn't take all your tokens away from you and humiliate you at least twice a week, you weren't in an arcade.

cybrbrnt
03-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Breaking into Lord Bafford's manor in Thief and Robbing the guy who tried to have you killed as a way of saying "Don't ever fuck with me again." definitely stick with me.

The sound/music coupled with the overall atmosphere that game produces make me want to creep around my neighborhood wearing all black. Surely no one would see me?

Kablooie
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Six years of writing code, building, and DMing for a Neverwinter Nights persistant world. C language and D&D was the best of both worlds for me (love both).

sinomatic
03-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Far too many to mention, but the first thought that came to mind was Deus Ex. Within that single, wonderful game, there are still several distinct gaming highlights, but specifically the moments when I realised "Wait....I can actually do that?" and the moment when a certain transmission came in that made my blood run cold. 'Scared shitless and totally paranoid' is probably how I'd describe the emotion at that moment.

Happy times.