PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing games tips?

Skalpadda
30-06-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm looking for games to just chill out with, not a specific genre or style, just things that aren't stressful or require complex problem solving. It's easy to just say "casual games" but I'm looking for something a bit more involved than Peggle here.

So, any tips for games to play when you come home after a tiring day and want to just curl up with a blanket on the armchair with a cup of cocoa and relax for a bit?

mcnostril
30-06-2011, 03:24 AM
The Undergarden comes to mind.

Very relaxing, not overly complex but very compelling all the same.
Basically you fly around making flowers bloom and listen to soothing music at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53UuTjhVOc

The JG Man
30-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Something like the Total War games maybe? They may be slightly complex, but there's no real time component, so you can make moves on your own time. There's also Audiosurf; pick some chilled music and calmly play along to that. Don't have to play for long, so time investment isn't a problem.

Seems like all the Total Wars have demos on Steam too, as well as Audiosurf.

Oak
30-06-2011, 04:59 AM
The Sims. This was always mine, anyway. The building, management, and presentation are all so pleasant, and the degree of challenge, the amount of resistance when trying to move up the social ladder or keep a large household going, is just right. I've sunk countless carefree hours into that game.

As for recent stuff, Anno 1404 is an unusually friendly (in ease of use and in attitude) city builder, and city builders are intrinsically relaxing so that's just icing on the cake. There is complex problem solving, but you're generally free to solve those problems at your own pace.

Giaddon
30-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Knytt Stories -- A relaxing exploratory platformer. Simple, lovely visuals, soothing music, and many excellent player-designed levels. And free!
http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt+Stories

Oh, and I found Braid very relaxing -- some tricky puzzles yes, but wonderful graphics and music.

Wizardry
30-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Knights of Legend

Splynter
30-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Check out Flow by Thatgamecompany, it's a really relaxing flash game about eating other underwater creatures and growing larger. On the PS3, the same company made Flower, which is also very relaxing (and very beautiful). Actually, anything by them fits the bill.

Olero
30-06-2011, 07:31 AM
In addition to the games mentioned; Chime, The Wonderful End of the World, The Guild 1 & 2 and the Civilizations come to mind.

Ice-Fyre
30-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Minecraft, put it on easy so there is no mobs. Then you can just wander around and build. You could use toomanyitems if you don't want to mine

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/140684-166-toomanyitems-in-game-invedit-may-28/

Red Denim Warrior
30-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I usually go for Left 4 Dead 2 or Dead Space 2, both on normal, if I want to relax with a game.

Kadayi
30-06-2011, 08:34 AM
The original flash version of flow is here:-

http://interactive.usc.edu/projects/cloud/flowing/

Also Audiosurf on mono with some ambient music is good, and another +1 for the suggestions of Undergarden and Sims 3 though don't make a large household. Also Zen bound 2 (on Steam) is kind of chilled.

Heliocentric
30-06-2011, 10:17 AM
A relaxing game for me is a regular game with a different mindset/game settings. But some games never qualify, games that will punish you with persistent punitive measures, like mmo's with harsh death penalties or the die in lava lose everything of minecraft.

But games with death, like spelunky, simple action games, stealth games (lots of lulls in the action(I mean quiet moments, not lulz)), rts comp stomps (skirmish games against easy AI, (campaigns are almost never relaxing because of stupid triggers), a game I have found very suitable was torchlight but now I can't stand to play it because its so inane between configuring skills and shopping/equipment management.

I am a big sufferer of multiplayer anxiety, I've left multiplayer games sitting on the shelf because of the fear of screwing up, but the right game played with friends chatting over the mic is a wonderful candidate.

Icarus
30-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I usually go for Left 4 Dead 2 or Dead Space 2, both on normal, if I want to relax with a game.

I find the opening bars of the tank music the opposite of a relaxing experience. :(

Rii
30-06-2011, 10:51 AM
So, any tips for games to play when you come home after a tiring day and want to just curl up with a blanket on the armchair with a cup of cocoa and relax for a bit?

I think you probably want a console.

Drake Sigar
30-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I usually go for Left 4 Dead 2 or Dead Space 2, both on normal, if I want to relax with a game.What? Left 4 Dead is an intense multi-player co-op shooter garnished with horror elements. Thatís about as relaxing as a sandpaper thong.

Black & White is pretty relaxing. Itís basically a pet simulator with a minor degree in strategy. Mostly you can just faff around and train your creature at your own pace.

Sid Meier's Simgolf is pretty nonchalant. You run a gold course which doesn't have the high maitenance demands of Theme Park. You can create a golfer and challenge your visitors to matches any time you like. Might be a hard game to find though.

airtekh
30-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Osmos is a lovely little indie game which I find quite relaxing.

The objective is to make your little cell bigger by absorbing other cells of lesser size. The soundtrack is brilliantly soothing.

G915
30-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Osmos and Eufloria are quite relaxing... but also quite boring at times, I'd say..
I found both Portal games quite relaxing, Braid is great, Chime is also a great little game (if you like music).
But my favorite in "calm" games is The Longest Journey (and Dreamfall)...
And Minecraft.

Drake Sigar
30-06-2011, 01:41 PM
The Longest Journey was one of my first thoughts, though point & click adventure is only relaxing if you’re not the type to go stark raving bonkers after wasting three hours trying to figure out what you’re supposed to be doing next. Dreamfall is much more forgiving in that aspect, so I’d recommend it.

riadsala
30-06-2011, 01:50 PM
+1 for the Total War games. Even the real-time battles are quite slow, and you'll generally be rewarded if you're patient (ie, sit back and let your line of archers do their work).

and +0.5 for Minecraft. I get stressed about getting lost in the dark. And then blown up.

westyfield
30-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I find Just Cause 2 quite relaxing. Floating around the islands, blowing stuff up, stealing vehicles, lazily racing police cars. I guess it's because it's fairly easy - as long as you don't actively seek out trouble by blowing up a military base, there are never enough enemies to be a significant challenge.

cpugeek13
30-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I would highly suggest Magic TG: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Its not a really hardcore game, its turn-based, and it doesn't require a long time commitment. Even if you've never played Magic before (or are horrible at it, like me) its still a fun game to play when you have a half hour here or there.

I recently bought Europa Universalis 3: Chronicles and I think (for me personally anyway) that its very relaxing. The initial learning curve may be a little steep (not as bad as the screenshots make it look), but its definately a "take your time and do things at your own pace" kind of game. The game is designed incredibly well, and the AI is also very intelligent (much much better than Total War games) Plus, its on sale now on steam for $7.50!

Kadayi
30-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I find the opening bars of the tank music the opposite of a relaxing experience. :(

What? Left 4 Dead is an intense multi-player co-op shooter garnished with horror elements. Thatís about as relaxing as a sandpaper thong.

You guys need to check the batteries in your Troll detectors.

Icarus
30-06-2011, 04:29 PM
@Kadayi

I do actually find the rest of the game pretty chill if I'm playing single-player through the opening chapter on a low difficulty.

hamster
30-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I actually feel that TF2 is fairly relaxing. I can just sort of turn myself off and blow stuff up like some purely reactionary reptile. It only starts getting tense when i get angry because of some stupid, unjust death (lag, Saharan spies with no decloak noise, etc.) It's particularly soothing playing as the soldier btw because hurling rockets is simple, direct and doesn't require too much thinking.

vinraith
30-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Any TBS or grand strategy game that I already know how to play. Learning them is often a fairly intense experience, but because of the way they're paced, playing them once they're familiar is almost meditative in my opinion. I find this true even in the case of very difficult games of the genre, but then I kind of enjoy losing if the resultant story is entertaining.

mrpier
30-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Audiosurf, put on some chill music and ninja-mono mode.

Skalpadda
01-07-2011, 01:57 AM
I think you probably want a console.

Why on earth would I want that?

Thanks for the tips everyone, with sales going on and lots of summer time this seems like a great time to play stuff I otherwise wouldn't :)

mcnostril
01-07-2011, 04:55 AM
Did anyone mention Beat Hazard?
I don't know what the price is at the moment, but Beat Hazard: Ultra is the kind of simple, shooty fun that you can play for a few minutes or get lost playing for a few hours (depending on your music and how quickly your eyeballs bleed). I wasn't really taken by Beat Hazard at first, but the Ultra update makes it way more enjoyable.

vinraith
01-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Did anyone mention Beat Hazard?
I don't know what the price is at the moment, but Beat Hazard: Ultra is the kind of simple, shooty fun that you can play for a few minutes or get lost playing for a few hours (depending on your music and how quickly your eyeballs bleed). I wasn't really taken by Beat Hazard at first, but the Ultra update makes it way more enjoyable.

What's Ultra do, exactly? I played a bit of the original and thought it was cool looking, but it didn't really hold my attention at all.

Basilicus
01-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Two words: The Polynomial. You fly around a 'space' environment created by fractals that pulse to whatever music you put in (or a rad accompanying soundtrack), shoot at blacklight-and-neon pacmen, and save jellyfish. If you die, you respawn instantly. It's a beautiful experience, not too complex, and it zens you into some satisfying-but-not-too-consequential action. It helped me relax at the end of the day during some very, very rough times last year.

There's a highscore that tracks your last 1, 5, 20, and 60 minutes of playtime, but I prefer to simply enjoy my pacmen-shooting and intergalactic jellyfish-saving. There's also a free-fly mode wherein you can remove the enemies, and in whatever mode, if you ever have enough of one particular environment, you can just wormhole over to the next. Watch the trailer and you'll see what I mean. Ooh, and it's also $3.40 during the sale right now. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQfYc9UgOJo

mcnostril
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
What's Ultra do, exactly? I played a bit of the original and thought it was cool looking, but it didn't really hold my attention at all.

Mostly it adds more variety and the game ends up way more frantic and engaging.
New enemies (from 4 in the original to about 9 now I think) which require different tactics, a few more bosses, and new power-ups (missiles, beam, reflector shield) that give you more options during gameplay. The new weapons are actually quite satisfying to use, and the perks system allows you to customize a bit depending on your play style (nothing drastic, stuff like extra points or more of certain weapons, etc...).

I bought Beat Hazard when it came out on an impulse buy and barely touched it because it was rather bland, but with Ultra I actually play it regularly. It seems they've also tightened up the way it syncs to your music as well, although that might just be an impression.

vinraith
01-07-2011, 09:13 PM
@mcnostril

Sounds interesting. At $2.50 I'll almost certainly give that a try, thanks!

Pew pew LAZORS!
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Two words: The Polynomial. You fly around a 'space' environment created by fractals that pulse to whatever music you put in (or a rad accompanying soundtrack), shoot at blacklight-and-neon pacmen, and save jellyfish. If you die, you respawn instantly. It's a beautiful experience, not too complex, and it zens you into some satisfying-but-not-too-consequential action. It helped me relax at the end of the day during some very, very rough times last year.

There's a highscore that tracks your last 1, 5, 20, and 60 minutes of playtime, but I prefer to simply enjoy my pacmen-shooting and intergalactic jellyfish-saving. There's also a free-fly mode wherein you can remove the enemies, and in whatever mode, if you ever have enough of one particular environment, you can just wormhole over to the next. Watch the trailer and you'll see what I mean. Ooh, and it's also $3.40 during the sale right now. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

That looks beautiful, I had no idea that there was a game based on Enter the Void.

CuriousOrange
02-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I never really understood Flow. It just plays like a shoddy Feeding Frenzy, but it's hipster friendly I suppose.

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 03:38 AM
There's a quick look (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-polynomial-space-of-the-music/17-3407/) of Polynomial too. I seem to recall finding it an enjoyable video and decent looking game.

BillButNotBen
02-07-2011, 08:09 AM
If you have a GBA or early DS lying around then Orbital is pretty relaxing - while also being pretty hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTktCOAxxQg

I hear Osmos is pretty similar, but haven't tried it yet.

tomeoftom
02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the Polynomial recommendation.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Audiosurf. Play relaxing songs.

All the Bethesda games. I love (most) of them, but I don't think anyone can argue they require intense concentration.

Tropico 3

Far Cry 2. That is if you find driving relaxing. You will be very relaxed.

Kadayi
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Far Cry 2. That is if you find driving relaxing. You will be very relaxed.

I think you mistake this forum for one of those places where people ask advice, and everyone feeds them gross disinformation for the lulz.

Oak
02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
You jest, but walking (not running, walking) out in the silent, unpeopled wilderness and desert areas of Far Cry 2's map is very calming.

Basilicus
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
All the Bethesda games. I love (most) of them, but I don't think anyone can argue they require intense concentration.

This is true. Fallout 3's setting is a little dire to relax in, but I've had such calmative experiences simply existing in Morrowind or Oblivion, skipping the various forms of fast travel and just walking from place to place, happening upon waterfalls or sunrises or villages in the wilderness, or huddling up somewhere during an intense rainstorm. Oblivion turns really beautiful with the right atmosphere mods.

BobsLawnService
02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Orisinal.com

Gentleman Jim Stacey
02-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I think you mistake this forum for one of those places where people ask advice, and everyone feeds them gross disinformation for the lulz.

I think you mistake my advice for gross misinformation given for "the lulz."

However, I mistake RPS for nothing. I've been coming here and responding to blog posts for four years now.

So spare me the attitude, skip.

Skalpadda
03-07-2011, 02:54 AM
It's a real shame FC2 can't be modded. If you could remove the enemies and weapons, up the number and variety of animals and give you a camera it could be a fantastic pure exploration game with all the different routes you can take through the maps. As it is, having jeeps full of angry men suddenly roar at you is hardly relaxing, although I still enjoyed the game a lot.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
03-07-2011, 04:58 AM
It's a real shame FC2 can't be modded. If you could remove the enemies and weapons, up the number and variety of animals and give you a camera it could be a fantastic pure exploration game with all the different routes you can take through the maps. As it is, having jeeps full of angry men suddenly roar at you is hardly relaxing, although I still enjoyed the game a lot.

I have high hopes for FC3 since AC1 had a lot of the same problems as FC2, and then Ubi went and nailed AC2.

Kadayi
03-07-2011, 07:39 AM
I think you mistake my advice for gross misinformation given for "the lulz."

So what exactly is it for then? The OP Skalpadda asked for relaxing games to unwind to. Driving from one guaranteed gun battle to the other in FC2 hardly seems like anything other than a case of attempting to pass off Turkey as Ham.

Heliocentric
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
turkey ham and cheese toastie. yum

nearly fell asleep playing space chem, does that count.

Anthile
03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I am shocked and disgusted that nobody has mentioned it yet: Aquaria.

Vandelay
03-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I have high hopes for FC3 since AC1 had a lot of the same problems as FC2, and then Ubi went and nailed AC2.

Here's hoping. But I doubt it will offer the same elements that made FC2 so potentially brilliant. It looks like they are going back to FC1 for inspiration, rather than fixing the faults of 2. Still, looks like it could be good.

As for relaxing games, the suggestions already offered are good ones, particularly management games (be it Anno/Caesar style or The Sims.)

If you are looking for point and click game, how about something from TellTale Games? I've only played Tales of Monkey Island (bought Sam & Max complete a few weeks back, but not got around to it yet,) and enjoyed it very much. Difficulty was low, but not completely without challenge, and it was fairly well written.

CWalker
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Flight simulators. Plop yourself somewhere in free flight mode, and float around the world, swooping and wheeling and all sorts of loveliness.

Shark
04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Anno 1404 is quite relaxing, although i recommend only playing with easy AI because everyone else will either try to kill you or take all islands before you even know how to produce spice.
I also like Just Cause 2, just driving and flying around, looking at the beautiful landscape.
Well that were my two €-cents

DeekyFun
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
The atmosphere of the Settlers games are quite nice to chill out to - a serene feeling of calm comes over me when I'm watching those little pixel men harvesting their crops.

Hmm actually, relaxing while the minions break their backs supporting my kingdom - that's a bit wrong, isn't it?

D

Ezhar
05-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Zuma / Zuma's Revenge have almost meditative qualities. It's a game I play when I need to think.

LeiterJakab
05-07-2011, 03:24 AM
I think Zen Bound 2 is pretty relaxing.

Heliocentric
05-07-2011, 09:12 AM
I think Zen Bound 2 is pretty relaxing.

I knew it, kg and quinns leave and all the deviants leave the comment threads to post in the forums.

Skalpadda
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
So, I googled that, is it really a game about practising bondage on wooden moose?

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes (and other wooden objects), and it's only $1 on steam right now!

LeiterJakab
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
So, I googled that, is it really a game about practising bondage on wooden moose?
You almost make it sound perverted. It's not just bondage, you also splatter paint on them.

Colonel J
06-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Osmos is a lovely little indie game which I find quite relaxing.

The objective is to make your little cell bigger by absorbing other cells of lesser size. The soundtrack is brilliantly soothing.

Osmos started out as lovely soothing ambient bubblebath until a huge bloody difficulty curve kicked in a few levels later and I rage-quit and I had to go man-shooting in order to calm down.

Christian
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I second Settlers and Just Cause 2.
The first just lets you puzzle around and optimize stuff, but it's a real time-killer. Just Cause 2 can be relaxing for just enjoying the sights and zooming around if you don't have a real beach around.

Also: Mount & Blade. I wasted hours listening to music or podcasts or a good radio show and playing that game. I felt pretty relaxed afterwards and also had expanded my musical experience.
Just turn down difficulty and enjoy (which seems to be the key for enjoying a lot of games for me recently).

Ice-Fyre
06-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Rush is a good little chill out game

Ayam
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm very much into more 'kinetic' games like most FPSes, but I've found point n click games, especially Sam n Max and the Strongbad games (from Telltale I think) relaxing and amusing. Sure, the characters are very out there and wacky so maybe it is just the change in gameplay pace that relaxes me.

Failing that, from the looks of other posts, a combination of Audiosurf and whalesong from www.meditainment.com might do the trick.

luckystriker
08-07-2011, 05:27 AM

Thx for the recommendation. I just picked it up for $3.49 on steam sale.

custard
14-10-2011, 11:07 AM
New game with no competitive elements and its free to download for both windows and mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVPYmVcPIE

http://greenergames.net/NatureTreks_Wallpaper01_1280x720.jpg

Dexter22
14-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Just relax when you are playing games because games are adventure which we can take at home and take cold drinks ,juices and chill out during the play.

fanatic4k
14-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm looking for games to just chill out with, not a specific genre or style, just things that aren't stressful or require complex problem solving. It's easy to just say "casual games" but I'm looking for something a bit more involved than Peggle here.

Feeding Frenzy, have you tried it yet ;) Or just go for Pop Cap games, they know how to relax us lol!

Grizzly
14-10-2011, 03:48 PM
X3: Terran Conflict.

Trees_are_pretty_cool
14-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire.

Spider Jerusalem
14-10-2011, 08:29 PM
i play a nice game of lol when i want to relax.

Mistabashi
14-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. No stressful combat to worry about, its more like a point-and-click adventure crossed with a real-time hide and seek simulator. I once got so relaxed playing this game that I literally soiled myself, thats how relaxing it is.

Mihkel
14-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Not a PC game but Flower for PS3 is very good for chilling out.

sinister agent
15-10-2011, 12:20 AM
I used to play the Settlers and the similar but not as good Cultures 2 for relaxing. You can just sit back and watch your villagers go about their day. Very calming.

Ezhar
25-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Also, EVE. Not the angry internet men shouting on Teamspeak PvP stuff, but just floating through pretty asteroid fields with the game music turned up. Dull? Yes. But relaxing.

Outright Villainy
26-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Amnesia: the dark descent, most relaxing game ever!

In seriousness, something like Wind Waker is really relaxing, but if you don't have that already, getting it now would be a bitch. (unless you have a wii and don't mind ordering second hand games off amazon.)

cswitch11
29-12-2012, 03:41 AM
So my husband wants to go away for a while (week max) once his grandmother passes to regroup and relax together. Does anyone have any suggestions? Our big thing is not a lot of people...we're both outdoorsy but still want somewhere relaxing and quiet...

Pertusaria
29-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Botanicula is graphically beautiful with very nice music, and most of the puzzles are fairly easy. Most of the fun in the game comes from clicking on things to see what happens, more or less.

Waking Mars is very relaxing until you get to the point where you're trying to get a perfect score, at which point it's a bit frustrating, but that's probably several hours in.

I found Blackwell: Deception to be quite relaxing, but as has already been said, this depends on how tolerant of point-and-click puzzles you are. To The Moon is kind of a point-and-click minus most of the puzzles, so that could fit the bill.

I used to love Sim Life as relaxation - like most of the early Maxis games, you can go into experimental mode and turn off as many hazards as you want - but it hasn't wound up on GoG yet, so I don't know how hard it is to find.

Desktop Dungeons is good, as it's a puzzle game dressed up as a roguelike, and the levels are very small, so if you mess up you don't usually feel as if you've wasted a lot of effort.

jnx
29-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Bot did a nice thread necro there :)

Pertusaria
29-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, weird. I think I made the mistake of only looking at the first page or so of comments before posting, and wasn't awake enough when I started to look at the dates. Apologies.

bad guy
29-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I find flight games relaxing

Aerofly FS
and
Lunar Flight

Spider Jerusalem
29-12-2012, 12:26 PM
So my husband wants to go away for a while (week max) once his grandmother passes to regroup and relax together. Does anyone have any suggestions? Our big thing is not a lot of people...we're both outdoorsy but still want somewhere relaxing and quiet...

they are evolving

PeteC
29-12-2012, 03:33 PM
4 Elements is a nice relaxing game to play through. A nice casual game reminiscent of the stuff Popcap put out. Good fun, lovely presentation and very highly polished.

Rauten
29-12-2012, 04:16 PM
they are evolving

They have families and everything now. This is their job, they need the money to feed their children, and we're banning them.

WE WERE THE TRUE MONSTERS ALL ALONG

frenz0rz
29-12-2012, 04:32 PM
The Polynomial.

It's a wonderful little game if you just fancy sitting back with a couple of beers and relaxing.

Edit: Doh, Basilicus got there first. Second time I've done that this week.

Rovac
29-12-2012, 04:39 PM
relaxing games is a bit different for each of us. Normally I don't play games when I want some relaxing, but here's the game that relax me while playing game

Waking Mars is pretty nice. I slowly look around at the game, watching the plants (or zoa, whatever) do their own thing, and plant more of them. Then I just watch everything happen.

You can get Christmas mod for skyrim, along with people in skyrim singing Christmas song. Haven't try it but looks pretty charming in the video. Or you could just walk around outside whiterun, there's some gentle giant and mammoth there. Also, wandering wolf, wizard and bandits.

It's been awhile since I play GTA game, but I remember just driving around in San Andreas. Being a model citizen.

LTK
29-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Proteus (http://www.visitproteus.com/) is a game made almost entirely for the purpose of relaxing.

The Polynomial.

It's a wonderful little game if you just fancy sitting back with a couple of beers and relaxing.

Edit: Doh, Basilicus got there first. Second time I've done that this week.
But now it's 75% off on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/67000). Good timing! I might get it, looks really great.

NathanH
29-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I usually play Mass Effect 2 or Borderlands to relax. Or Diablo 2.

alms
29-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Kinda happy with this necro, the ZB2 exchange is hilarious. See? even spambots have their uses.

Yes, weird. I think I made the mistake of only looking at the first page or so of comments before posting, and wasn't awake enough when I started to look at the dates. Apologies.

I only realized it about two or three pages in, when I saw a post by Anthile and said to myself "oh look he's back ...oh wait". I miss his concerns for the safety of bats in games.

duff
30-12-2012, 07:00 PM
The Lego games!

Pertusaria
30-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Anthile posted on the "what are you playing" thread a couple of days ago - I don't think he's gone far. Haven't had a discussion on bats with him, though - I guess this means no Castlevania for him?

alms
30-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Anthile posted on the "what are you playing" thread a couple of days ago - I don't think he's gone far. Haven't had a discussion on bats with him, though - I guess this means no Castlevania for him?

Good news, I must have missed that post. Since this worked out so well, I'll take the chance to complain about Althea's prolonged absence, too!

And now bats (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?4-What-are-you-playing-at-the-moment&p=117219&viewfull=1#post117219), of course.

Pertusaria
30-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow, thanks for the incredibly cute bat picture.

Althea's not so easily re-conjured, but she's around on the Gaslamp forums / fora, so she's still alive and kicking (down doors).

Tei
31-12-2012, 03:28 PM
I usually find GTA like games quite relaxing. And I mean not really playing the game, but just driving around lazy. Just Cause 2 is good for that, since is soo beatiful, and if you set the game to easy nothing really disturb you much (theres also mods to unlock all vehicles and fly). GTA Vice City is also good for this, since the 80's music.. and I relaxing to drive around with that kind of music.

Berzee
31-12-2012, 03:42 PM
If the robots only bump quality threads, I welcome them with gladness.

Relaxing: Scribblenauts Unlimited! It is a game of accidentally putting legs in your beard and watching it hop away.

Not Relaxing (but very good): King of Dragon Pass! It is a game of listening to Vikings whine/die because of your reckless string of uninformed decisions.

DaftPunk
31-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I would recommend GTA 4,it seriously relax me,i can put out all bad energy and feel better after it.

alms
31-12-2012, 04:13 PM
I usually find GTA like games quite relaxing. And I mean not really playing the game, but just driving around lazy. Just Cause 2 is good for that, since is soo beatiful, and if you set the game to easy nothing really disturb you much (theres also mods to unlock all vehicles and fly). GTA Vice City is also good for this, since the 80's music.. and I relaxing to drive around with that kind of music.

Damn, now I want to go buy the complete package on Steam

...must ...resist!

TechnoJellyfish
31-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I find the games of the Anno series to be quite relaxing. At least up to the point when my whole infrastructure collapses completely ...

mizzu
31-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Stalker: find a group of people at a campfire and listen to some awesome guitar music

Dwarf fortress, just don't try not to lose. When shit goes bad, it goes, can't do anything about it. Just listen to the music until you get the announcement that "your settlement has crumbled to its end".

Defcon, same as dwarf fortress. Don't speed the game up and don't panic when the whole soviet union unleashes its atomic arsenal at you.

Oshada
31-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Scribblenauts to stay relaxed. Super Hexagon to gradually relax.

Rovac
31-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Stalker: find a group of people at a campfire and listen to some awesome guitar music

That, until group of bandits start firing at you
Use the Complete Mod for some nice improvement

radrex
06-01-2013, 10:56 PM
mod skyrim to the max and just go explore the wonderful scenery

Carra
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Audiosurf springs to mind. Just listen to the music and play.

Xercies
07-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Anno 1404 was probably the most relaxing and calm games I've ever played, even when I was in the red with money I didn't feel anxious or at all worried about what was happenning and just tried my best to not be in the red.

Also Railroad Tycoon 3 as well, I can spend a few hours looking at the trains and tracks I built in first person mode for some reason and not be bored.

alms
07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Also Railroad Tycoon 3 as well, I can spend a few hours looking at the trains and tracks I built in first person mode for some reason and not be bored.

Easy scenarios in Train Simulator are pretty relaxing, too.

universe
08-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I think Sims or maybe Minecraft

crazy horse
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Calming, relaxing, soothing, lulling, introspective, whimsical and mind numbing:

Bastion
Trine 2
Puzzle Quest 2
Walking Mars
Cthulhu Saves the World
Machinarium
Terraria
Botanicula

Hotline Miami and Orcs Must Die have a very soothing effects on me as well but that's probably because there is something wrong with me.

MOKKA
08-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Just Cause 2 with the Superman Mod (or however you call this mod where you can fly around). Put some relaxing music on and soar through the clouds.

Super Hexagon also gets pretty relaxing, once you get used to the frantic speed and let your subconsciousness do all the work.

Blackice
08-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I find action rpg's relaxing, the repetitive nature of the gameplay soothes my brain (on lower difficulties anyway), interspersed with some light story and decisions on skills and gear to keep my interest. Currently Torchlight 2 is fulfilling this role, but the Diablo's, Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege have also played their part.

Questing in WoW has the same effect too.

crazy horse
08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
As far as strategy games go I'd say Disciples 2 was easily the most relaxing. It pretends to be strategy game but really all you do is walk around a map leveling a single stack of 5 or so units. Not a great game in any sense but there was something calmly addictive about losing an afternoon in the repetitive monster killing.

alms
08-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Solar 2, edit: midweek madness on Steam for dirt cheap (1.74€ for me)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/97000/

360 pad strongly recommended.

mizzu
08-01-2013, 11:07 PM
I played that with the keyboard and found the controls to be fine. Anyway, it can be a very relaxing game indeed.

Smashbox
08-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Forgot about this thread. Glad it's back!

My go-tos:

Minecraft, lately with the Buildcraft mod
SimCity 4, though I have a lot less patience for RHM puzzle pieces than I used to
Anno
Total War with heavy pausing & thinking
Civ

Protoman
09-01-2013, 05:15 AM
Braid
Nightsky
Limbo
Fly'n
Analogue: A Hate Story
Trine Series
Diablo Style ARPG's
Recettear
Dear Esther
To The Moon
Little Inferno
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Turn Based RPG's
Stacking
World Of Goo
Vessel
Just about every point n' click adventure game not written by someone obsessed with slapstick comedy
And 100 more I didn't happen to think of right now.

Also, Fallout 3 can be relaxing if you play a maxed agility character and spam vats all the time. And you refuse to go in any subway stations.

cptgone
09-01-2013, 05:36 PM
it's gone now, but the browser MMO named Glitch was extremely relaxing.

Nalano
09-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Easy scenarios in Train Simulator are pretty relaxing, too.

Until my friends see my name on Steam and start messaging me "WTF ARE YOU DOING, PLAY A REAL GAME"

alms
09-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Until my friends see my name on Steam and start messaging me "WTF ARE YOU DOING, PLAY A REAL GAME"

Friends you say? I heard tales about these mythical creatures but I actually have never seen one myself.

Nalano
09-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Friends you say? I heard tales about these mythical creatures but I actually have never seen one myself.

aka long-term alcoholic co-imbibers