PDA

View Full Version : Portable gaming

outoffeelinsobad
30-06-2011, 07:23 AM
So the PSP Go is 169.99 on Amazon. Anyone have a PSP? Worth it? Or would I better off just buying an Ipod Touch?

Jams O'Donnell
30-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Steer clear of the Go -- a regular PSP 3000 is a better choice. The Go received very little support from Sony, and a number of key PSP titles are not available for it, having been made available only on disc. Also, there's no way of playing second-hand games on a Go and you're beholden to Sony's pricing for any new games, which is often ridiculous (£40? I think not!)

I suspect many people would recommend an iDevice over a PSP, but if you're not above such things making a PSP able to run homebrew opens up a world of emulation -- Gameboy, SNES, Megadrive, Playstation 1... Though of course, that's a legal grey area at best.

Icarus
30-06-2011, 09:42 AM
No love for the Nintendo DS in this thread? What a shame. It's a decent little bit of kit and now that the 3DS is out you should be able to pick up a DS Lite or DSi second-hand for cheaps. And plenty of agreeably-weird Japanese stuff out on it too, as well as Chrono Trigger, which everyone should play.

Rii
30-06-2011, 10:59 AM
No love for the Nintendo DS in this thread? What a shame. It's a decent little bit of kit and now that the 3DS is out you should be able to pick up a DS Lite or DSi second-hand for cheaps. And plenty of agreeably-weird Japanese stuff out on it too, as well as Chrono Trigger, which everyone should play.

My Plan™ is to wait until the next hardware revision which will hopefully bring with it improved battery life, cameras, and aesthetics; but if I'm still in the midst of Nintendo thrall come Christmas I can see myself being tempted by the combination of the inevitable price cut (you know it's coming) coupled with the availability of Pilotwings, Starfox, Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart.

Jams O'Donnell
30-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Rii reminds me of something worth bearing in mind -- the successor to the PSP is due out this winter.

Icarus
30-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm quite happy with my DS Lite. There are only two reasons I would want to upgrade to a 3DS. Ocarina of Time, and, well, THIS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxEQIe5jdw Maximum fan mode: Engage.

Rii
30-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Rii reminds me of something worth bearing in mind -- the successor to the PSP is due out this winter.

I'm surprised the PSP is still selling as strongly as it is in Japan now that Vita has been announced.

Xercies
30-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Eh I looked at the 3DS lineup and I realised Nintendo wasn't even trying anymore, Ocarina of time, starfox 64 and a load of other re-releases. How lazy can you get, unfortunately I know they will get a lot of money because of that. I like ocarina of Time like the rest of people but I wouldn't buy it AGAIN! how many times have they re-released that game?

Rii
30-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Eh I looked at the 3DS lineup and I realised Nintendo wasn't even trying anymore, Ocarina of time, starfox 64 and a load of other re-releases.

Umm, those are the only two re-releases that I'm aware of, although I'm hoping that Majora's Mask will join them later in the piece.

outoffeelinsobad
30-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Eh I looked at the 3DS lineup and I realised Nintendo wasn't even trying anymore, Ocarina of time, starfox 64 and a load of other re-releases.

To be fair, the PSP has the same problem. It's more Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. And if Microsoft came out with a handheld, it would just be CoD's and AssCreeds as far as the eye can see.

8-bit
01-07-2011, 02:02 AM
While I am aware that the apple range is getting increasingly better with the games on offer nobody should ever buy one purely for games, get an original ds or a psp instead. the psp and ds have been a safe haven for console gamers who like rpgs these last few years because of the lack of them on the home consoles this gen, they both have quite a few good puzzle games too. A lot of the best games are kind of rare now though and you will probably have to resort to ebay.

Icarus
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Chrono Trigger, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright are the main reasons I can think of to own a DS.

Rii
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Umm, those are the only two re-releases that I'm aware of, although I'm hoping that Majora's Mask will join them later in the piece.

Ok, so here's the list of titles/franchises Nintendo themselves have brought or announced they're bringing to 3DS:

Pilotwings Resort (launch)
Nintendogs+Cats (out now)
Steel Diver (out now)
Ocarina of Time 3D (out now)
Starfox 64 3D (shortly)
Mario Kart (2011)
Super Mario (2011)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (2011)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (2012)
Paper Mario (TBA)
Animal Crossing (TBA)
Smash Bros. (TBA)

wcaypahwat
01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Most shops here seem to be phasing out all their psp games, since the vita isn't backward compatable with them. A fair chunk of the catalogue is available on the PSN store though, so it might be worth checking availability on any titles you're interested in. lots of old psx games on there too, but not having the double shoulder buttons makes some of them play a bit awkwardly.

When it comes to the DS, the best thing to keep in mind is that GBA cartridges work with the lite/original, but not on any of the newer models. and all DS games work on the 3DS as well.

Ipod... nice screen, massive storage, and great battery life... game wise, haven't found many 'gamer' games, but I hear there is some around... mostly just some little distraction gems. You also get the advantage of having your music/movies/whatever else without chewing up all your storage.

A big consideration is if you're wanting to pass half hour on a bus, or a few hours on the couch.

tomeoftom
02-07-2011, 08:36 AM
...<i>The World Ends With You, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, BANGAI-O Spirits</i>...

The DS has some truly awesome games - it's <i>such</i> a shame that there's now very, very little new stuff released each year that isn't shovelware.

Zorganist
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
I like ocarina of Time like the rest of people but I wouldn't buy it AGAIN! how many times have they re-released that game?

Three times, once on the Gamecube, with a bunch of other Zelda games as a pack-in promo disc, a Wii Virtual Console version and a 3DS version. I think it's fair enough for Nintendo to re-release a game as good as Ocarina, and there's nothing making you buy it, besides which the 3DS remake is aimed at people who never played the original- it's all very well and good being told that Ocarina is The Best Game Ever, but that doesn't amount to much if you can't actually play it.

I'm with Rii in waiting until Christmas to see if the 3DS gets a price drop/updated model before I buy one, and by most of the games I want (Star Fox, RE:Revelations and Kid Icarus, primarily) for it should be released.

icupnimpn2
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
...<i>The World Ends With You, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, BANGAI-O Spirits</i>...

The DS has some truly awesome games - it's <i>such</i> a shame that there's now very, very little new stuff released each year that isn't shovelware.

Elite Beat Agents will swallow your soul. It's probably the best or second-best game ever made for the system, even if the music selection is questionable.

A lot of fun can be had with some of the collectible trading card game translations that have made it to the system. Not many people play them online, but single player is still satisfying. There's the Marvel Comics trading card game and even the Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship games.

tomeoftom
02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Man, some dude once put a nasty scratch in my screen playing OSU! TATAKAE! OUENDAAAAAAAAN!!! and the touch calibration's been wonky ever since. :( . But yeah, it's totally the most joyous game ever - and the Japanese original has music that's far better/funnier/more appropriate. Someone really needs to make it for Android/iPhone - give it a level editor and online highscores and that thing would gush money from every orifice. Now, for the sake of it, once again: OUENDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

outoffeelinsobad
04-07-2011, 01:40 AM
So my friend is getting a Vita when it's released and says I can have his PSP Go when that happens. I bought an android phone, and I'm currently playing Deadly Dungeons. Good stuff.

raddevon
04-07-2011, 05:12 AM
On the subject of portable gaming, can anyone explain this to me? I watched the video and still don't understand. Something about buying games for more than they're worth. That's where they lost me.
http://the-nd.com/

outoffeelinsobad
04-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Looks like a startup shaking their tin cup? Neat idea. An open mobile platform would be awesome.

tomeoftom
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Twenty dollars /is/ incredible. The breakdown of prices was hugely baffling, if true. Just one decent game (Spelunky) would easily justify buying one, just as long as they completely change the design to make it less fucking ugly.

EDIT: Wait, it has "Dragon Stabber". I'm there.

EDIT 2: Jesus, maybe even /ten/ dollars.

Rii
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I like that they've gone with face buttons that differ in size/shape from one another. Why didn't you do that with the DS/3DS, Nintendo? =/

TheLastBaron
08-07-2011, 03:03 AM
For the record OoT does include both the standard game and Master Quest, so there's still something "new" if you haven't gotten MQ one of the times it was released before.

amusingthebrood
17-11-2011, 11:58 AM
The psp and ds have been a safe haven for console gamers who like rpgs these last few years because of the lack of them on the home consoles this gen.

Sorry for the thread necro, but I wonder if anyone could recommend a good RPG for the DS? I'm no RPG buff so something reasonably accessible would be nice.

Taidan
17-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Sorry for the thread necro, but I wonder if anyone could recommend a good RPG for the DS? I'm no RPG buff so something reasonably accessible would be nice.

When it comes to JRPGs, I personally can't get enough of Chronotrigger, and I'm also a huge sucker for the obsessive-compulsive simplicity of the Pokemon games. (Although your mileage may vary with that one) The Final Fantasy remakes/ports are almost fun too, if you're not allergic to random combat.

Also, I'm completely in love with Etrian Odyssey, but I'd do some reading up on that before you jump in, it's going to be the sort of game that works for everybody.

Jams O'Donnell
17-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Depends on what you're after. I can't think of any good western RPGs on the DS, but if you're looking for JRPGs you're in luck.

On the turn-based (SRPG) front, try:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (don't worry about it sounding like a sequel -- it's got nothing to do with the story of the first FFTA)
Front Mission

On regular JRPG front, try:
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy 4

All of which are very good and fairly accessible. Of course, there are many more, but I didn't want to overwhelm you with ideas.

Taidan
17-11-2011, 03:07 PM
I can't think of any good western RPGs on the DS

On this subject, are there any good "Western-style RPGs" available on any handheld system? I'm really struggling to think of any.

amusingthebrood
21-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, Dragon Quest IX is on its way to me.

I'm also a huge sucker for the obsessive-compulsive simplicity of the Pokemon games.

Hah, I actually have a Pokemon game (Pearl I think); I seem to not quite think of them as RPGs, even though they are really.

Pertusaria
26-11-2011, 10:36 PM
I wonder if anyone could recommend a good RPG for the DS? I'm no RPG buff so something reasonably accessible would be nice.

Dungeon Explorer has elements of an RPG, although Wizardry might shoot me for saying that. It's very much a game of scavenging better and better armor and weapons and selling what you don't need anymore, then going back to the killing fields, but I enjoyed it for quite a few hours before shutting down for good.

Pertusaria
26-11-2011, 10:47 PM
3DS lineup... Nintendo wasn't even trying... Ocarina of Time... re-releases.

I think the original DS and up to DS lite and probably DSi (don't have one) worked well because a lot of developers other than Nintendo got in on the act and made interesting games. I can think of Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi and Contact. I don't know if the 3D technology will make the console a lot more labour-intensive to develop on, which would lead to fewer third-party games in the long run - I hope not, but I think it's a risk.

I don't have a 3DS and I'm not planning on getting one, but that has more to do with the price and my under-use of my existing DS lite than anything else.

One of my great memories from the DS lite is finding a Gameboy Advance cartridge of a port of the original Zelda that would play in my new toy. :) I'm sorry that Nintendo seems to be keeping the series on life support to suck every last drop of funding out of it, but I have to be grateful when decent games get ported to new consoles. This doesn't mean that Mario 64 belonged on DS - I said decent games.

outoffeelinsobad
06-01-2012, 03:50 AM
What do you guys think of the PS Vita?

Region free, apparently, and a bunch of other advantages. My thinking is that Sony doesn't want to move to another generation of consoles yet, so they're upgrading their mobile platform and promising exclusive releases. It's a smart move, I think, considering there's no real motivation for the casual gamer to purchase another blu-ray player, and it probably doesn't cost Sony too much to switch PSP production over to PS Vita.

sabrage
06-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I have a Lite, but I honestly would have sold it years ago if I didn't have a flash cart for it. I rarely take the bus and go on maybe one long road trip a year, so spending $30 on a new game I'll only play on the toilet just isn't gonna happen.

frightlever
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Very early in the thread someone dismissed the iOS devices in favour of the DS.

The Vita and the 3DS share a common problem for me. The price of the games.

Twenty iOS games vs one Vita or 3DS game isn't a hard choice. I haven't looked at my DS for over a year.

Do you get Spiderweb RPGs on Vita or 3DS? How about a 4X space game like Starbase Orion? King of Dragon Pass? Okay, I've blown my argument apart by mentioning some of the more expensive iOS games but the principle stands I think.

However I love the simplicity of most iOS game controls. The controls on a Vita are just too much for me, when I'm likely only to be playing for twenty minutes at a time I doubt I'd build up the muscle memory I need to master them. But that's me.

Berzee
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
PC gaming, has always been impossible

........in a portable form factor.

sabrage
06-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Do you get Spiderweb RPGs on Vita or 3DS? How about a 4X space game like Starbase Orion? King of Dragon Pass? Okay, I've blown my argument apart by mentioning some of the more expensive iOS games but the principle stands I think.

I like my portables for bite-sized gaming. I'm sure that those appeal to strategy purists, but I'm not looking to get into a deep tactical game when I only have 5 minutes to play.

Roufuss
06-01-2012, 04:55 PM
On this subject, are there any good "Western-style RPGs" available on any handheld system? I'm really struggling to think of any.

If you mean developed by western developers, there is only a few I can think of on the DS.

Orcs and Elves is one.

Jagged Alliance is on there too, but thats being really loose with the definition of RPG.

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Dark Brotherhood was by Bioware.

If by western-style you mean first person dungeon crawlers, then yea, the DS has tons of those.

LGM
18-01-2012, 04:41 AM

The Vita and the 3DS share a common problem for me. The price of the games.

Twenty iOS games vs one Vita or 3DS game isn't a hard choice. I haven't looked at my DS for over a year.

However I love the simplicity of most iOS game controls. The controls on a Vita are just too much for me, when I'm likely only to be playing for twenty minutes at a time I doubt I'd build up the muscle memory I need to master them. But that's me.

Twenty time wasting games that have little to no depth to them and no replayability, or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8GTfWpcvQ

Gee, that's a tough one.

Henke
18-01-2012, 08:48 AM
So the PSP Go is 169.99 on Amazon. Anyone have a PSP? Worth it? Or would I better off just buying an Ipod Touch?
I have an iPad, and while it's great for simple puzzlegames like Cut the Rope and such, it's pretty bad at actiongames, like GTA Chinatown Wars. If you wanna play a lot of fastpaced shooters and platformers you're better off with a PSP.

There are exceptions of course, the Real Racing games work wonderfully on iOS, as do a handful of other racers. And Infinity Blade makes excellent use of the touchscreen, though it's quite simplistic. And also I should point out that it's excellent for boardgames, great for when you have friends over who aren't gamers. And then there's the price of games, if you wait for a sale you can pick up a lot of quality titles for 79 cents. I bought Dead Space, Sim City and Monopoly for 79 cents each over EA's christmas sale for instance. The only one of those I've played yet is Dead Space and... well I'd say it was worth about 79 cents. The production values and the writing are certainly good for an iOS game, but inevitably the controls bring it down. It's playable, but the controls aren't natural enough that you can ever really "forget" about them and loose yourself in the game.

Voon
18-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Twenty time wasting games that have little to no depth to them and no replayability, or this:

Gee, that's a tough one.

Ooor, screw them all and get this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0O9KwMZ7_8&ob=av3e

just saiyan

sabrage
18-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Wipeout
You're making it hard as hell for me to tell myself I don't need one of these things. That campaign menu is like heaven for me.

Drinking with Skeletons
19-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Not too much for the PSP, to be honest. I do highly recommend Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I prefer FFT, but TO is probably the more accessible one. They are extremely similar in many ways, so you probably should start with just one.]

The God of War titles for PSP are really great, but they're also available on the PS3 if you have it.

There are plenty of PS1 games on the PSN that work very well with the PSP's tiny screen. FFIX holds up extremely well, and Legend of Mana is one of my all-time personal favorites.