PDA

View Full Version : Yet another mouse selection thread

Hunchback
05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
It's me again! This time looking for mice opinions. I need to replace my Ikari Laser - the left button got slightly busted, it's double clicking automatically, and also every now and then the mouse will not work after reboot, only it's buttons do.

I am very disappointing, since this thing cost me 70 euros, and it's also THE most comfortable mouse i've ever used. It's ergonomics are so amazing that it makes me really sad to have to replace it. However, the build quality is apparently not quite on par. *sigh*
So i am now looking for replacement options. I am looking for solid, good quality mouse with a moderate number of buttons (like 2 more, except the standard 2+wheel), nothing crazy. I mostly play DOTA and FPS so precision and comfort come first. I'd like it to feel heavy in the hand and be "big", i have large hands and small mice force me to fold my palm in an uncomfortable position. (That's why i found the Ikari awesome, it's design fits perfectly my hand). Oh yeah, it MUST be a cable mouse, gaming doesn't really work with cordless mice imho.

So far i've got the Razer Imperator as a possible substitute, but i've never owned a Razer mouse so i am not sure if it's a good choice.

What do you guys think? Suggestions?

Mohorovicic
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Have you considered simply getting another Ikari Laser?

DaftPunk
05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Razer have quote good mouse selection so its always a good choice.

Hunchback
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Have you considered simply getting another Ikari Laser?

I have, but i am now afraid to get the same for replacement. What guarantees that it won't fail like my current one? Also, they are more expensive than everything else, really. :S

Shooop
06-08-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm absolutely smitten with Mad Catz's Cybrog RAT 7.

Its big selling point is it's completely modular - you can adjust and replace pieces of it to fit your personal taste. Only thing is it's expensive.

Mohorovicic
06-08-2012, 06:08 AM
I have, but i am now afraid to get the same for replacement. What guarantees that it won't fail like my current one?

The warranty.

Hunchback
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I have a bad feeling that lately most things are build to break, slightly after the warranty runs out. My old Logitech MX518 lasted for years and years before finally having the right clicker die, now my (more expensive) Steelseries died after 2 years of use. :/

As for the RAT, i believe it ried the 5 and found it extremely uncomfortable. Dunno if the 7 changed much about that, will try to try it out in a shop.

Wayward
06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Why don't you want another 518? On a direct comparison with other mice it may not be the absolute best, but in their price range they are hard to beat. I use one at home and at work as the majority of 'gaming' mice appear to be made for people with freakishly small hands.

Squiz
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I've got a Razer Deathadder and am very content with my purchase. It has 2 extra buttons on the side, a good wheel (so also another button there, although for me it is awkward using the wheel as a button), and overall good responsiveness. It is pretty lightweight though, so maybe that is a dealbreaker for you. If you have doubts about the "fancy" lights, they can be completely, or alternatively in part, turned off.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that people felt that the wheel was a bit sluggish. Personally, I have had no trouble with that.

Ravelle
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I've got a Razer Deathadder and am very content with my purchase. It has 2 extra buttons on the side, a good wheel (so also another button there, although for me it is awkward using the wheel as a button), and overall good responsiveness. It is pretty lightweight though, so maybe that is a dealbreaker for you. If you have doubts about the "fancy" lights, they can be completely, or alternatively in part, turned off.

Edit: I think I read somewhere that people felt that the wheel was a bit sluggish. Personally, I have had no trouble with that.

Same here, the deathadder isn't that light; I'd say it's just the right amount of heavy. I have rather large hands so it's only slightly a bit too small for my fingers but that's the only nitpick I have with it.

Have you guys seen razers new release? The Ouroboros. http://www.razerzone.com/ouroboros

That thing is crazy.

Hunchback
06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
That Ouroboros looks a lot like the RAT...

I went to a local shop and tried the Imperator out, it's design is fine but not on the Ikari level, atleast for me. It's also slightly smaller and lighter than the Ikari.

Any opinions on Logitech G500? Is it an upgrade to the MX518? Or the Gygabite M8000? (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2944#ov)

Oh and is G700 a viable gaming option, being wireless? I'm quite doubtful on that one.

Then there's also the G9X, which seems quite weird.

*ponder* what to do...

Saw a couple of reviews on the G700, and apparently they've made it to 1k updates/s, which is as much as by cable so no wireless lags. The drawback is that it consumes more power, so you gotta charge the battery often. But then there's also a cable with it and you can just use it as a cable mouse. Quite interesting, as it also seems to be heavy "thanks" to the battery, and quite large (not a claw). Might turn out to be the prime contender here, hmm

Shooop
06-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I had a G500 before moving to the RAT. It's a good no-frills mouse that works well.

The Gigabyte's been discontinued.

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I love my G5, best mouse I've had. Nice touches like custom weights (i like my mouse as heavy as possible), adjustable sensitivity (for sniping, when i remember i've got it) and particularly the cotton braiding on the mouse cable (so it doesn't snag on surfaces) make it very nice to use for me. Never noticed any problems with sensitivity and it corded, so no issues with running out of batteries/interference (not had good experiences with wireless mice - probably just me, though). I think it has been replaced by the G500, which looks identical, only not blue/textured like mine (which is like holding a soft blue lizard. Which is... nice?

Hunchback
07-08-2012, 08:23 AM
After quite some research i've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Logitech g700
+ many buttons, without being absurd
+ good design, big and heavy
+ 1khz refresh even through wireless
- battery life
- probably worse sensor than other brands

Razer Imperator
+ 4g sensor, latest gen
+ supposed build quality
- it's a bit small and light for my liking, not all that ergonomic as they say it is

Cooler master Inferno
+ great design
+ great price
+ many buttons
haven't heard of any drawbacks, except perhaps a lower quality sensor

Cooler master Sentinel Advance 2
+ great design
+ just enough buttons for my liking (4 really)
+ new sensor
- sensor fails at 8k dpi, which is absurd anyway
- the metal mesh supposedly started peeling and rusting on the older model

and finally, the "fall-back-to" option:
Logitech G500

AsimBa
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Would you maybe consider the Microsoft Intellipoint 3.0? It is quite frankly excellent, even if it is aging.
I've had to buy it only two times, since my friend "borrowed" it from me about 4 years ago. It should be rather cheap though, and the ergonomics are pretty good as well. (i have big hands)
The sensor is still one of the best around as far as i know, in terms of maximum tracking acceleration, which is a factor if you play with a very low sensitivity. The biggest con would probably be that it is very basic compared to most other mice out there and in your case that it is rather light.

Timofee
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I went from having a 518 for what felt like an age, must be at least 7 years, to a WoW Cataclysm mouse just because I wanted the extra thumb buttons for GW2.

Have to say I really like it provided the game recognizes the extra buttons.

Thankfully GW2 does but other games like SpaceMarine, no amount of tweaking or reconfiguring will make it work.

Kelron
07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I have a CM Inferno, I really like it. The buttons are sensibly placed, you have 2 under your thumb and one on each side outside the main buttons. There's also a "shift" button that gives you a huge amount of button combinations if you want them, though I rarely use it. The software lets you set them up to mimic keyboard input too, if you're trying to use them with something that doesn't recognise extra mouse buttons.

I don't have any complaints about the sensor, but dpi settings never meant much to me anyway. I find a point that feels comfortable and leave it there, though you can adjust sensitivity or switch between config profiles on the fly.

Hunchback
07-08-2012, 01:31 PM
My wife has the WoW Cataclysm mouse by Steelseries, it IS very nice, large heavy etc...
Two problems for me though: It has too many buttons and it's too expensive.

Hunchback
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Still not decided... *ponder*

Jesus_Phish
09-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I use the following mouse, it cost me about €40 and I bought it going on 3 years ago. The only problem I had so far is it was dropped and a tiny bit of the left clicker broke off, hardly the fault of the mouse.

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1341 (it's also available in black, but it wasn't at the store I bought it in and I needed the mouse asap).

Best features of it I guess are

Laser mouse with 7 buttons (6 of them freely programmable)
DPI switch with color display (6 steps) (from 600 - 3600 and you can independently set the X and Y axis)
Weight tuning system (max. 19.5 g)
On-board memory for macros

I'd never heard of it but it seemed to do everything the "big boy" mice could do at over half the price. It's not that pretty looking but it sits under my hand all the time so I don't really care. You get a bag for carrying it around in to LANs, extra feet for it and the memory in it means you can program it to do stuff/assign keys to it (you get the software) and then it'll work the same on whatever PC you plug it into.

*EDIT*

Size wise I'm not sure if it's big or small when compared to others. I find it big enough and comfortable enough though I will admit I wouldn't call my hands huge or anything.

If mine broke, I'd most likely buy another as I'm very happy with it. You can find it on amazon for a very reasonable price.

Hunchback
09-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of that brand, hmm... Will have to have a look into it.

Shooop
09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Inferno appears to have issues with working in Windows 7. Bad drivers.

Jesus_Phish
09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Neither had I and until I looked at those Amazon reviews on it I thought it was probably gone out of business, but for that price I don't think you can go wrong.

It's probably missing something, or has a slower something that the "pro" mice of the world, but I'm a home gamer, not a pro. I don't need to spend 100e on a mouse just because it has a 1000Hz feedback rate etc etc, because honestly I'll never notice it

byteCrunch
09-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Ah, the MX518, my stalwart companion in gaming for 10 years, it's worn, the feet are gone, the logo broke off but not a single technical fault. They don't make mice like this anymore.

I hear the Logitech G400 is essentially the new version, but I cannot comment otherwise.

Berzee
09-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't know what your feelings on thumb-driven trackball mice are, but the Logitech m570 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043T7FXE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= ) is my favorite thing ever. Very nice, responsive, easy to use on uneven surfaces :P and tends to last for at least Several years.

Hunchback
09-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Lol, no way i could game with this thing :D

Moraven
10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Anyone try Mionix mice? Looks like reviews from numerous places are favorable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826580002

I am on a G5 Logitech now. Before I had the old wireless version. Good feel, change dpi on the fly, enough buttons.

Hunchback
10-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Aye, that Mionix looks seriously awesome, i read a bit about it before. It seems uber comfortable too, but it's super expensive in europe (about 80-90 euros) :S

Hunchback
11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Ordered the CM Sentinel 2, will have it in a month... Will try to report back with some feedback later

President Weasel
11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm absolutely smitten with Mad Catz's Cybrog RAT 7.

Its big selling point is it's completely modular - you can adjust and replace pieces of it to fit your personal taste. Only thing is it's expensive.

I've had a G500, it developed a kink in the wire and eventually a knackered connection. Decent mouse though.
Had a RAT 5 for a good few months now and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it that I can find - except it was a bit pricey.

Finicky
19-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Razer makes decent mice.

Logitech mice have really atrocious build quality.. My g9x feels like (and is) a second rate plastic toy in comparison to my lachesis.

The cord on razer mice of of much higher quality, as are the scroll wheel (both the clicky feeling and the scrolling) and the teflon pads work way better on wooden desks than the cheap plastic shit that logitech uses.

My g9x feels like I'm trying to rub a wet sponge on a stone surface, so much friction it's not even funny.
The lachesis feels like it's on a waxed mirror.

I've never in my entire life owned a logitech product that felt like anything other than a poor build quality overpriced toy.
That includes 2 expensive headsets, a g15 keyboard, an old ps/2 connection logitech keyboard, an expensive webcam and a pair of stereo speakers.

All if it was of inferior quality compared to other brands I owned at the same price range.

Hunchback
21-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I ended up picking the Cooler Master Storm Sentinel Advanced II (the longer the name, the more AWESOME the product is, right?). So far so good, it went through some extensive testing with DOTA2, some Diablo 3, World of Tanks, Blacklight Retribution... Haven't tried it with 3DSMAX yet, but so far the ingame and OS/Other Software performance is satisfactory.

Points of interest:

* It is longer than the Ikari but also a bit thinner, especially on the right side - there's practically no ring and little finger support, just a small curve but really not large enough to rest your fingers on. Your ring and little finger have to be on the pad.

* As others have said on the internet, the buttons are somewhat harder to press than most other mice, especially the 2 thumb buttons. To be honest the first day my index fingered felt a bit tired after some serious DOTA play. Then you get used to it and it's ok, except the thumb buttons that still remain a bit hard to press for my liking.

* The software IS amazing. I am using about 1/4 of it, the DPI controls to be prices, and just a quick setup of all the bling bling lights and shit. I haven't reconfigured the buttons since i see no need to (that's why i picked a mouse with the bare minimum of buttons) nor the macros and scripts. They are there though and i could use them if i ever needed to.

* The sensor is great, haven't had any problems so far. I am not pushing to the max (8k dpi or so) since it's just retarded, i have however set up 4 sensitivity levels and i switch them on the fly for different games and uses. Haven't really bothered to configure full profiles for each game or shit, don't really see a point in all that.

* The 1.5mm lift distance might be true, but the pointer does jump a little bit if you pick the mouse up and then drop it on the desk. It happens when you put it down though, so i suppose it actually comes from your hand moving a little bit since you aren't a robot that has a perfect vertical movement. I tend to play with higher sensitivity and not pick up the mouse, i use a very small tefflon pad too, the mouse performs very well for me. I am not sure if it will be that good for people who are "pro" and play on very low sensitivity with big arm movements and HUGE pads.

* The overall feel is good, not too plastic or too rubbery, kinda in between. It doesn't have a "cheap" feeling either but still compared to my Ikari or a Razer it looks somewhat lower grade. Not too much, nothing to fuss about, it's more like a ... feeling, dunno. All in all i am happy so far, here's to hoping (is that like jumping or the verb form of hope?) that it will last at least 2 years.