PDA

View Full Version : Descent

riadsala
30-06-2011, 01:10 PM
So, I read the Not Cardboard Children write up of this, and am mighty tempted to buy it. But, could somebody give me a lowdown on it's weaknesses (as the RPS coverage was very positive).

How fiddly is it? (the photo showed a lot of components).
How long does a game take?
How long does your first game take?

How much room does it require?

As a reference point, the current fav game in my little group is BSG. Played about 3 or 4 games of it, and they generally take 3 hours, and I doubt anybody would be interested in playing a game that takes longer (ie, it's a weekday evening thing, starting around about 8pm, and we have work the next day!).

Also, BSG fits on my kitchen table ok, but does take up most the room. So if Descent is much bigger, we'd need to play it on the floor (boo) or find somebody with a bigger table.

Temple
02-07-2011, 02:34 PM
What I'm finding is very few of us actually OWN Descent. All the Londers are saying if we get something going in our group then we'll buy it :)
The Cardboard Children thread did have a few comments from people about one side or the other being over powered -I delibrately paid no attention as I never want to know any strategy points beyond 'buy this expansion it makes it better'

I'm sure you're a vet, so you know of boardgamegeek -you'll get all your answers there.
Indeed you'll get all your contradictory answers there :)

EndelNurk
02-07-2011, 07:54 PM
There's a copy of it at my local gaming club. Miles away from London or Edinburgh, I know, but if you want I can try and get a game in next week and let you know what I think. No guarantees though, I'm afraid.

riadsala
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Cool, I'd be interestes to hear how you get on.