PDA

View Full Version : The Steam Summer Sale Thread of 2011 - My god. It's full of games.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Cooper
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I bought the Doom pack, partly to play the resurrection of evil expansion, and partly because after a Google I found that it's possible to edit the .bat files Steam uses to get the old doom games running with any source port you could want...

Given I've never actually purchased any of the original dooms, only ever borrowed them from friends, I thought I probably should...

The JG Man
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm actually going to try downloading the Serious Sam First Encounter demo. Wish me luck with the servers!

vinraith
04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
b) Why the FUCK does anyone launch a RTS title just before Starcraft 2?

In particular, why would anyone launch an MP focused RTS title immediately before Starcraft 2. There might have been a niche for a very strong SP game there, as SC2's is kind of lacking, but obviously it was going to dominate in MP circles for some time to come (whether one feels that's deserved or not).

SirKicksalot
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I think Ubisoft and Eugen believed they had a much stronger game because of the excellent beta reception. They had two long open betas on Steam in winter 2009 and summer 2010. More than a million people played it.

At least Eugen is still in business! Their next game looks awesome.

amandachen
04-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, how is R.U.S.E. for single player? Is the AI any good?

Insidious Rex
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Can anyone tell me whether it's worth getting the Serious Sam HD: Gold edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901553/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

over the Serious Sam HD: Double Pack?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4507/?snr=1_5_9__403

Isn't it redundant (and a waste of £1.60) to get the original non-HD SS games as well as the HD ones? Or am I missing something?

Kelron
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Ruse has been cheaper at retail (http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBI-Soft-R-U-S-E-PC-DVD/dp/B002U0KBQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309801270&sr=8-1) for ages if you want to save a couple of quid. It's Steamworks anyway.

Tikey
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Can anyone tell me whether it's worth getting the Serious Sam HD: Gold edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901553/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

over the Serious Sam HD: Double Pack?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4507/?snr=1_5_9__403

Isn't it redundant (and a waste of £1.60) to get the original non-HD SS games as well as the HD ones? Or am I missing something?

I suppose the first is usefull if you have some friends who only own the original.

endintears
04-07-2011, 06:56 PM
I've had my eye on New Vegas for a long time but that discount isn't cheap enough

Tikey
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Should I buy Warband?
I mean, I don't have much time to play and can't play in multi, so Is interesting enough in single player?

8-bit
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Trine is ok and at that price its worth a shot, although its far from being the best platformer I ever played, I felt it focused too much on distracting the player with shiny graphics to cover up the weak gameplay. I suppose the main draw is co-op but the wizard and soldier are useless since the thief character is basically the best of both, and if you don't need the abilities of the other characters then whats the point. the whole thing ends suddenly too with only a few encounters that I might describe as a boss fight, (although all but the last felt more like a miniboss) and there is a serious lack of variety in enemy design. but like I said I wouldn't have bought it at full price but at £1.69 I suppose its worth it.

Vexing Vision
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
In particular, why would anyone launch an MP focused RTS title immediately before Starcraft 2. There might have been a niche for a very strong SP game there, as SC2's is kind of lacking, but obviously it was going to dominate in MP circles for some time to come (whether one feels that's deserved or not).

I agree. Personally, I think RUSE is superiour game to StarCraft 2 because of it's (to me) more interesting strategic approach and less need for micromanagement. But anyone trying to compete with Blizzard's market-saturation is clinically insane. This was just like launching a Diablo-clone two weeks before Diablo 3.

The SP is okayish, the story itself is pretty hackneyed, but the later patches improve the AI immensly. If you prefer to play SP, you'll fare very nicely in the Skirmish maps, but that's just really playing multiplayer against bots. A lot of fun though, I played several lengthy skirmishes vs the AI and had a lot of fun.

Then again, I still think the game mechanics are superiour to better-selling RTS games, so I'm biased.

Mana_Garmr
04-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Damn, Fallout:NV still isn't below my €10 threshold.

airtekh
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Well after a few days and nothing bought yet, I think I'll finally cave. Alpha Protocol seems interesting enough from what I've heard, and it's cheap as chips.

I might get the HD Serious Sams as well. I missed the originals, and I fancy a bit of an old school shooter at the moment.

I'm still on the fence about Frozen Synapse, despite the price reduction. I wish they'd release a demo so I could make my mind up about it.

SirKicksalot
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I've been trying to purchase stuff over and over again since today's sale started. I want the FNV and RUSE DLC and the Doom 3 pack. First I was informed that I'm trying to buy DLC for a game I don't own, then it was a regular "something went wrong" message and now it went back to the first error. Ugh.

Colonel J
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm still on the fence about Frozen Synapse, despite the price reduction. I wish they'd release a demo so I could make my mind up about it.
If £4.75 instead of £9.50 feels better as a price point then do what I did, trade the second copy for a gift of something else you want on Steam at that value, with someone here.

imo the game was well worth it when I paid more than this at launch. I was wavering too in the absence of a demo, but if like me you think you're going to like it from reading the RPS pieces on it, then most probably you'll love it.

ConcreteOtter
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Should I buy Warband?
I mean, I don't have much time to play and can't play in multi, so Is interesting enough in single player?

I think some RPSer described it as Sid Meier's Pirates on horseback. At least that's the vibe I get from it in singleplayer. I haven't tried multiplayer but i found singleplayer amusing/exhausting, I'm worthless at the game but I keep coming back to it. Maybe because I fail at this game but I do feel that it takes a bit of time to build up as worthwhile force that can invade hostile lands and that may be off-putting for someone only playing by themselves. But for $7.50 USD it is not a purchase that you will lose sleep over even if you only attempt it for a couple hours.

Kelron
04-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Single player makes up the majority of the game.

ezekiel2517
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Ugh, all 3 Mount & Blade for 13 dollars... I just bought with Fire and Sword last week for 15 and I have no more spare cash.

CURSE THIS DAY *shakes fist*

cowthief skank
04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Alpha Protocol seems to be a bit of a love it or hate it kind of thing. I personally adore it and think it's one of my best gaming experiences in the past few years. The action's excellent, general gameplay fun and the sheer amount of branching paths and differing dialogues in it is mindbogglingly vast. It's a game that really, really supports playing it over and over again in completely different methods.

But as said, some people dislike it. It's by Obsidian so it's flawed in parts and some people say it's insanely buggy (I never encountered anything if we're honest, but I might just be a weird exception). It might be a wee bit of a risk purchase but for that price it's definitely worth a shot, especially if you end up falling in love with it.

I would agree that it is flawed, some odd design choices, but I found that for the most part they fade into the background.

Indeed, I would go further and say it is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, not simply the last few years, and it is the only game I remember playing which I fully intend to replay and know it will be fun to play a different character.

Plus, it has one of the best characters and perhaps the best single scene in any game I can think.

Now, can somebody persuade or dissuade me regarding the New Vegas DLC? Worth getting one or both? Or sticking with the base game?

Vandelay
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Are the R.U.S.E. DLC packs important or a waste of time?

I want to know this too.

Glancing at what they contain, The Pack of The Rising Sun sounds like it could be good, but Chimera is probably not, unless the maps are very good and bought by a lot of people.

Also, I'm going to get New Vegas. Are the DLCs for that worth it?

Ravenger
04-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I've had my eye on New Vegas for a long time but that discount isn't cheap enough

The DLC is discounted too, so I bought those. I refuse to buy the DLC at the normal price, but 70% off works for me.

JamesG
04-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, also went for the New Vegas DLC, for similar reasons. Its an odd dynamic actually, if full price was about 30% lower than standard, I would have brought it already, however I don't think I would have brought it on sale at 30% off.

Edit: Tempted to pick up Serious Sam as well. I'm not a major FPS fan, but something a bit lighthearted and shooty occasionally appeals, and rather stupidly I seem to have built up a bigger collection of tense FPSs, which just have me playing them for five minutes before I get frustrated.

field_studies
04-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Should I buy Warband?

I picked it up a few weeks ago and it's all I've been playing (single player exclusively), despite grabbing another half-dozen games in the sale so far. Took a some time and some internet reading to figure out precisely how to best play, but its complex enough to reward the investment.

Also took me a while to get past certain expectations, based I suppose on how it looks (3rd person view specifically) and the narrative intro, that there would be a real RPG flavour to it. There can be, but it will have to mostly be in your head, as in the played experience. NPC's don't offer conversations, most are never worth talking to, and the only progression is individual (stats, wealth) and territorial. So think of it more as a turn-based strategy game where you actually get to fight the battles than anything RPG-action-ish.

Veracity
05-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Anyone still missing a Frozen Synapse license? Don't see anything I'd much want in return at the moment, but I'm happy enough gifting it and pestering you later if the prospect of owing an anonymous internet person a ~£4.70 video game doesn't strike you as unbearably objectionable.

Ian
05-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Bought Bully 4 cheepz. My spending is still really low. I'm a bit worried they're going to hit me with an avalanche of irresistable awesome at the end of the week.

DarkNoghri
05-07-2011, 12:59 AM
I was doing well up until yesterday, when they had the gall to put DA:O and AC2 on sale on the same day.

Kelron
05-07-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm up to about £16 now, having just bought EU3: Divine Wind so I can join in a multiplayer game. It will probably be £2 cheaper in a few days, but it's one of my all time favourite games so I can't begrudge them the extra.

Alex Tru
05-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Yeah if anyone is still interested in Frozen Synapse I have an extra key

ColOfNature
05-07-2011, 02:38 AM
I splurged on day 1 with a Games Workshop double-whammy: DoW2:Retribution and Blood Bowl. Orks! Spess Muhreens! Splosions! Cheerleaders! And Vertex Dispenser, cos it sounded interesting.

I've got my eye on 2 more games: Dark Athena and Bloodlines. I've been wanting both of them for a while now, so if either drops in price any further I'll snap it up. Failing that, Dark Athena on Steam for a tenner, and Bloodlines from D2D for £7.50. And then absolutely, positively no more games for at least a couple of months while I get stuck into the backlog.

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Dark Athena is an absolutely fantastic game. The voice acting is some of the best. You really feel like when they're speaking, they actually want to murder you. The atmosphere is subsequently perfect. I played it on the 360 (woe is me) so I can only imagine how much better it is on the PC. I never had a chance to play the MP modes as it was dead by the time I got to it, but man...such a great game.

Alpha Protocol is tempting me moreso than Frozen Synapse. I'm thinking of dropping FS, going for AP and trying out the demo to Serious Sam. Oh god dammit Steam, I bloody hate you.

... ... ...

... ...

I love you really.

Maralinga
05-07-2011, 03:58 AM
My recommendation is Alpha Protocol. Frozen Synapse's 2-for-1 situation gives the possibility of obtaining it via gifting(whether or not in Data Smuggling), though I haven't played FS to comment on the game itself.

Flint
05-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Those who have been wondering about Serious Sam HD: it's definitely worth the cheap purchase. It's just crazy, nutty fun - the action moments are positively insane and ridiculous, filled with enemies after enemies which you then defeat with your massively destructive gun collection. It's simply utterly daft shooter fun. It's even better if you've got a friend to co-op it with for even more daftness, although it works excellently in singleplayer too. Its only flaw is the anticlimactic final boss fight that has an element of puzzle boss that goes a bit against the game's general "if it exists, shoot it till it's dead" mentality.

Second Encounter is also great, although it's not in sale atm - it goes even more insane in regards to enemy amounts etc. I'd say it's probably better with a friend because the enemy amounts can get so over-the-top in it, but it's fun in singleplayer as well.

DarkNoghri
05-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Dark Athena still has Tages, unless they've removed it but haven't modified the store page. So, that's a nogo for me.

lunarplasma
05-07-2011, 08:39 AM
I've been waiting for Warband to get back on sale. Bought it last night. YAY

Jams O'Donnell
05-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Ooh, Frozen Synapse and Alpha Protocol. That'll do nicely.

LowKey
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
now MB: with fire and sword is $3 and warband is $7, is there any reason not to get fire and sword?

note - only looking for one!

Ian
05-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I got Bully. My spending is still remarkably low thus far. Less than £15 I think on 4 or 5 games.

Steam is building up to something, it's not going to go the whole sale with my wallet this unmolested.

Lacessit
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I just got all three Mounts and Blades, but now I'm in a pickle. Which order am I going to play them in?? Any advice?

Olero
05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I just got all three Mounts and Blades, but now I'm in a pickle. Which order am I going to play them in?? Any advice?

Any which way you like. Sure, most people tell you to start with Warband, but the original is still pretty solid as well (though lacks the extras Warband has). All 3 games have the similar principle, but Fire and Sword is a bit trickier to start with (you'll get gunned down a lot in the beginning). Not that getting gunned down is the end, it's all part of the M&B series to lose "gloriously" occasionally, it's half the fun ;)

Icarus
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
There's basically no reason to play the original M&B if you have Warband. It's exactly the same world/scenario, but improved in a lot of ways.

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Second Encounter is also great, although it's not in sale atm

It is :) All Serious Sam content is 80%. You can get the dual pack for £4.39.

Flint
05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh, brilliant (should probably double check these sometimes). Then peeps should just get the double pack for double the awesome.

moth bones
05-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Was finding everything eminently resistable, probably influenced by the amount of dirt-cheap games I've previously bought that remain painfully untouched/ barely touched (waves embarrassedly at Hegemony Philip Of Macedon, King's Bounty, Deus Ex etc.).

But FM11 at under a tenner, had to have a look at that.

Otherwise, I definitely intend to give Winter Voices a try, maybe Amnesia too. Trouble is, the bloody things take up so much space; around half my Steam library is not actually installed cos there's not enough room. I tend to favour heavily replayable games like FM or EU3, and I very rarely finish completable games, so I don't often think "Right, I can safely bin that."

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with uninstalling games. I've done that with loads. It also focuses you on actually playing the damn games that you need to play, good for those unsure as how to proceed with their backlog.

As it goes, just downloading some stuff now from Steam and getting good speeds. If you have stuff to download, now may be a good time.

Also, I've just watched a couple of videos from Mass Effect 2 again and now need to play it again. God dammit. I'm undecided about Alpha Protocol...I don't want to just be buying games for buying sake. Still need to try the demo for Serious Sam. I'll do that in a bit.

Giaddon
05-07-2011, 04:11 PM
If anyone wants to get their freak on, I just noticed that Zen Bound 2 is one dollar.

moth bones
05-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I do the same thing with books as well. At least the downloaded games don't take up loads of space in my hut

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Tried the Serious Sam demo. I like it. It's nice, big, comfortably old school and the guns are satisfying. But I won't be getting it. I dunno, it was fun to play...but not enough, despite its price. Need to get back into the idea that just because it's cheap doesn't mean I actually want it. I just wish Alpha Protocol had a demo. I'll probably buy that on the deadline. God damn, why do so few games have demos? I want to potentially give you money! If you're happy about your game, give me that chance!

By the way at the end of the sale, I expect us all to post our damage reports. Or super awesome savings, depending on how you feel!

cowthief skank
05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Also, I've just watched a couple of videos from Mass Effect 2 again and now need to play it again. God dammit. I'm undecided about Alpha Protocol...I don't want to just be buying games for buying sake.

If you enjoyed Mass Effect 2 I would say it is fairly likely you would enjoy Alpha Protocol... Though with only five minutes left before the sale ends, it is probably a little too late to convince you...

Giaddon
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Alpha Protocol is pretty frustrating. There's a ton of potential there, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is so bad that it wore me down. I did beat it, but I can't imagine I'll ever play it again (which many people say is the whole point of the game). The thought of going through the basically linear Middle-Eastern opening section completely drains me of energy, will, and hope.

Bring on day whatever we're up to now!

Flint
05-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Alpha Protocol is pretty frustrating. There's a ton of potential there, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is so bad that it wore me down. I did beat it, but I can't imagine I'll ever play it again (which many people say is the whole point of the game). The thought of going through the basically linear Middle-Eastern opening section completely drains me of energy, will, and hope.
I guess this really shows how divisive that game can be. I really loved the gameplay and can't find a flaw in it, and I'm already planning my 3rd playthrough of the game.

Nothing interesting that I've not bought in today's sales for me. Anyone got any tips for a small-sized demo for today's community achievement?

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I heard you guys like Civ 5, Deus Ex and STALKER. Well...

OP update incoming!

(In the end, I went against AP. I like the idea, but if the actual gameplay is bad, I don't know if I can weather that.)

piggydiggy
05-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Is Call of Pripyat a good purchase for someone who enjoyed Shadow... a fair amount. I liked it, but never really got into it.

Cooper
05-07-2011, 06:08 PM
If you ''never really got into it', then CoP probably won't tickle you much more.

It's all the great things about the first one, just bigger and better.

Rii
05-07-2011, 06:08 PM
So what's the lowdown on Origin vs. Steam given that Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is the same price on both atm?

Giaddon
05-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Interesting how they're splitting up the call of dutys rather than one franchise sale. I'll probably grab World at War when it shows up (I'm interested in the Pacific setting).

For today: Beat Hazard Complete, & the A.I. War bundle.

I like Wings of Prey a lot, and there's a demo, so -- check it out!

Scott
05-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Anyone got any tips for a small-sized demo for today's community achievement?

Vertex Dispenser has a small demo.

SirKicksalot
05-07-2011, 06:17 PM
It's cheaper to buy the Cradle of Civilization bundle and then add the other DLCs than if you use the "add all DLC to cart" button.

ArtVandelay
05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
So what's the lowdown on Origin vs. Steam given that Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is the same price on both atm?

I've used Origin and don't have any complaints with it. It does start when I start my games, which I really like. I would still recommend buying from Steam because you can just put the CD key into Origin and then you have it on both services. Origin might put out patches faster than Steam but that is just my speculation.

I picked up Civ V from Gamersgate the other day. Is any of the DLC worth getting or is it just stuff that can be added with mods?

Beat Hazard is loads of fun. Every time I load it up I end up playing through 5 more songs than I had planned on. It's kinda of like asteroids but built around music of your choice. I'll be picking up the ultra dlc as that seems to add some nice features.

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
OP updated. Every time I see a 'Franchise sale', it kills me knowing how much more I'll need to write whilst putting up with bogged down servers. For what it's worth, I've seen Hot Pursuit and Shift 2 in the shops cheaper, however if you buy the bundle anyhow, you save £11 with just those two games in mind, not to mention getting two other games on top of that (of course how much value that'll then have is up to you). In short, if you want Hot Pursuit or Shift 2, look around first. If you want both, the bundle makes sense.

Bearing in mind this thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?507-Straw-Poll-Have-you-played-Call-Of-Pripyat&highlight=stalker) about CoP, I'm severely tempted. Some more persuasion wanted, but there ya go.

EDIT: Just noticed that they've rather cheekily put up a further discounted price for CoP. If you have Clear Skies or SoC registered on Steam, Call of Pripyat is £3.24, otherwise it's £5.

Malawi Frontier Guard
05-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I lost 1400 hours to Guild Wars. It's a lot of game for that price.

Think of all the things you could do if you had 1400 hours.

Pew pew LAZORS!
05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Ah darn, I was hoping for a 75% or at least 66% discount on Hot Pursuit.

MondSemmel
05-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Anyone got any tips for a small-sized demo for today's community achievement?

For anyone interested in a demo of a not-so-famous-but-really-good puzzle game, I recommend Everyday Logic: Square Genius (http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/). It's an amazing puzzle game, sort of like Sudoku or Kakuro or numerous other (mostly Japanese) number puzzles, but the way it layers the mechanics of several different puzzle types on top of each other is a sight to behold. And the demo save games should (I think) carry over to the whole game.
(Plus, I originally found it when Jonathan Blow recommended it on his blog.)

I've been waiting an eternity for this game to go on sale.

8-bit
05-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I have been playing beat hazard ultra the past few days, I was very surprised when the game came at me all guns blazing like it had some kind of grudge, after playing the normal version for so long I was not prepared for that. great game really and the expansion adds a lot, kind of wish I had held off a while longer but I wasn't expecting it to be a daily. I got the gold ship if anyone is thinking about getting it, it makes the ship a lot easier to see in all the chaos but it doesn't do anything else as far as I can tell.

nothing for me again today though, civ 5 is interesting but there is so much dlc that I will wait for a complete edition some time later in the year. Monday Night Combat is interesting too but I don't have the time for another online game and ai war was just impenetrable for me.

EDIT: Just noticed that they've rather cheekily put up a further discounted price for CoP. If you have Clear Skies or SoC registered on Steam, Call of Pripyat is £3.24, otherwise it's £5.

thats just the loyalty deal they have had since it was released, other sites have the same thing.

fiddlesticks
05-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been wanting to try out Stalker for some time, but I don't really have any experience with those games. Are all three worth getting, or should I leave one out?

rsherhod
05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Just put my £3 down for the AI War pack. First purchase of the season.
When I actually get around to playing it, is it worth starting with all expansions installed, or vanilla?

Edit: Scratch that. It only shows up as a single game in my Library.

Colonel J
05-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Good god that's an insane price for the AI War bundle. If there's a deal offering more content, depth, massive time-sink gameplay, and dev & community love per £/$/€ then I've yet to see it. Hell I got more hours out of the AI War demo then I did out of most things on my Steam account.

The impulse buys will probably net Arcen more cashflow in one day than in the last six months since Light of the Spire came out. Should help keep them rolling along until A Valley Without Wind and the next AI War expansion are finished.

airtekh
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I've been wanting to try out Stalker for some time, but I don't really have any experience with those games. Are all three worth getting, or should I leave one out?

I've only played Shadow of Chernobyl and I love it, but I'm a bit biased because I love those sort of open-world shooters. If you fancy shooting, exploring and don't mind a few scares, then SoC is for you.

I'd recommend installing the Complete mod (http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html) on a first playthrough, because it doesn't affect the core gameplay much, fixes a ton of bugs and makes the graphics eye-wateringly beautiful.

I own Call of Pripyat, but I haven't got around to playing it yet. It's supposed to be pretty good from what I hear, but some people like SoC better.

Clear Sky is the one which divides opinion most. I don't own it myself, because I've heard a lot of people say its not great, but I suppose it has its fans.

vinraith
05-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Just put my £3 down for the AI War pack. First purchase of the season.
When I actually get around to playing it, is it worth starting with all expansions installed, or vanilla?

Edit: Scratch that. It only shows up as a single game in my Library.

You can activate and deactivate expansions at whim when you set up a game. You can also simply turn on the pieces of a given expansion you want to use, the whole thing is marvelously flexible that way.

Cooper
05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I've been wanting to try out Stalker for some time, but I don't really have any experience with those games. Are all three worth getting, or should I leave one out?The first (Shadow of Chernobyl) and third (Call of Pripyat) are widely regarded as the best.

The second (Clear Sky) got a pretty poor recpetion by fans and newcomers. But it is not a broken or fundamentally bad game, just not quite what people expected / wanted form a Stalker game. It is still well worth playing if you enjoy the other two, especially with the patches / mods which get rid of most of the issues.

I would get the first and third in the current sale. They have replay value too, so it doesn't matter that you don't have Clear Sky. If you end up becoming a fan, get Clear Sky on a sale at another time (I think there's also a persistent sale-price on Steam if you own another Stalker game anyway.)

SilverSilence
05-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Posted this in the smuggling thread but thought it might get more attention here

Hot Pursuit is 12$ on the AU store (8GPB) PM me if you want to get it for that price (paypal in advance required)

vinraith
05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Good god that's an insane price for the AI War bundle. If there's a deal offering more content, depth, massive time-sink gameplay, and dev & community love per £/$/€ then I've yet to see it. Hell I got more hours out of the AI War demo then I did out of most things on my Steam account.

The impulse buys will probably net Arcen more cashflow in one day than in the last six months since Light of the Spire came out. Should help keep them rolling along until A Valley Without Wind and the next AI War expansion are finished.

It's an almost offensively good deal considering the scale and depth of game on offer, I haven't seen a better one all sale. I've logged 400 hours on AI War and I still haven't even played the Light of the Spire campaign, tried all the minor factions and AI plots, or remotely played against all the AI types. It's a huge, incredibly deep, incredibly brilliant game with the best developer support in the history of the medium (seriously, that's not hyperbole) and anyone that enjoys strategy titles should snap up the bundle at this price and never look back.

Vague-rant
05-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Can anyone recommend some good mods for Clear sky? I'm looking for something that improves/fixes the faction wars rather than just turning it into another SoC or CoP.

Also, I'd heartily recommend King Arthur to anyone who enjoys the Total War series. Less diplomacy involved than something like Empire, but the battles are a lot more fresh and interesting.

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
thats just the loyalty deal they have had since it was released, other sites have the same thing.

Sorry, that wasn't too clear. I thought it was cheeky that if you click on the franchise page from the main store front and you get the list of all 3 games, it gives the lower price. It should really have given the higher price first. That way, buyers won't be disappointed that you have to 'pay more' and those who already own one get to 'pay less'. Win win and less confusion. I know it's a minor quibble, but these things do irritate me.

Gonna wait on some feedback still for STALKER. For £5 on CoP or £6 for SoC and CoP, I'll go for both as it makes sense. Just want someone to tell me "Buy it. Buy it. Buy it." convincingly enough.

fiddlesticks
05-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the input, airtekh and Cooper. I'll pick up "Shadow of Cernobyl" and "Call of Pripyat" in this sale then and see for myself how good they are. Now to hunt down that Complete Mod.

field_studies
05-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Can anyone recommend some good mods for Clear sky? I'm looking for something that improves/fixes the faction wars rather than just turning it into another SoC or CoP.

I can't comment from experience of playing (bought Clear Sky a month ago but haven't had time), but I purchased it having read the RPS article about the newly released (two months ago?) 'Complete' patch, which apparently really salvaged the game. It sounds like you have a better grasp of the STALKER series than me, so a quick scan of that article will probably answer your question.

suibhne
05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Gonna wait on some feedback still for STALKER. For £5 on CoP or £6 for SoC and CoP, I'll go for both as it makes sense. Just want someone to tell me "Buy it. Buy it. Buy it." convincingly enough.

A few suggestions here - my opinions only:
1. If you like SoC, you'll like CoP.
2. If you like CS, you'll like CoP.
3. If you like SoC and/or CoP, you won't necessarily like CS (but you probably will).
4. Once you purchase either SoC or CS, you'll get the "loyalty discount" for CoP at any time in the future (tho you won't get the current sale price on top of it, of course). On the other hand, I don't know if having the Steam version of SoC or CS will give you the loyalty discount for a non-Steam copy of CoP. Really not sure.
5. These three games are frequently on sale. You can count on them being available for a low price in any Steam sale.

On the one hand, the price difference between SoC and SoC/CoP is small, and they're both roundly regarded as fantastic games. If you're going to buy one anyway, the economic risk presented by purchasing both is pretty damn small. On the other hand, you're guaranteed of good sale prices in the future, too, so there's really no rush if you think you'd be willing to wait till, say, the winter holidays to pick up CoP (assuming you try out SoC and like it).

Nobody can let you off the hook for making this decision. But they're some of my favorite games of the last decade, so I can't imagine why anyone would decide to do anything but buy SoC and CoP. ;)

airtekh
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
@fiddlesticks

Stalker Complete 2009 link (http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html) for your convenience. ;)

Should have put it in my post, my bad.

TheLastBaron
05-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I really don't think I'm going to make it until the end of the sale without buying the Paradox Complete pack. Maybe at best I'll get away with the strategy pack only, I already have M&B and Magicka, but some of the other games look interesting too. Maybe I'll get the king arthur pack and then the strategy pack. How is Majesty 2? I liked the first one alot.

Flint
05-07-2011, 09:10 PM
How is Majesty 2? I liked the first one alot.
I quite enjoyed it, as a big fan of the first one. I'd say they are on par with eachother - they do certain things differently, some of which are better in the second one and some which are better in the first one. I also personally enjoyed the campaign much more in the second one. One major minus however is the lack of single, custom scenarios: they promised to have it in a big update patch but I've not touched the game in a while and lost the track of whether it ever appeared.

Vandelay
05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Balls! Didn't realise that CoP price was the loyalty one. I already own a loyalty version of it with Gamergate, which requires one of the previous games to be installed. At the listed price of CoP, I would have bought it for the convenience, but £5 is a bit much just for that.

For anyone on the fence about Stalker, I would personally recommend CoP, as I reckon it is by far the best of the trilogy. I loved SoC the first time played it, but can never get back into it. The opening couple of maps are really not that interesting or that open. CoP throws you right in at the deep end, with a pretty large area to play in. It is also just a much more polished experience. I think the love the original hasn't mainly comes from the fact there was not that much around like it, but, now that we have had a few open world shooters, it doesn't feel quite so ambitious.

winterwolves
05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Drakensang and River of Time are pretty good RPG, not like Fallout but IMHO better than last Dragon Age :)

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
So if I were to get those two STALKER games, and thanks suibhne for that, I should play SoC before CoP? I like my man-shoots, I like atmosphere, I like exploring. Sounds like these have got both! Out of interest though, it is worth playing with that 'Complete' mod immediately, or waiting till playing through once?

sabrage
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
CoP is a direct sequel to SoC, so you would want to play the original first. The Complete mods were made to fix a lot of bugs, add new textures, and make some minor changes (i.e. giving all the weapons real-world names) while still maintaining the tone of the original game, so I would wager you're not MISSING anything by playing them the first time through, and it doesn't dramatically change anything except in that it makes the game better. That said, I always play a game a bit myself to get a feel for it before I change anything... SoC doesn't let you repair weapons or armor, which irked me greatly, so I promptly installed a mod to let me do that.

I haven't played CS, but it's a prequel so I would assume(?) that playing that first wouldn't be so bad, and, as it is considered the weakest of the 3 games, if you DO like it you can only go up.

Mistabashi
05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
With regards to Stalker (Shadows of Chernobyl), the 'Complete' mod does actually change the game more than you might think. It makes a lot of changes to weapons, adds NPC grenade throwing (which can be either fun or frustrating depending on your viewpoint), and also the visual mods included do change the look of the game a fair bit. If you wanted a 'truer' experience you should look for the Zone Reclamation Project - it's mostly bug fixes and improvements, no major game changing stuff included. An earlier version of ZRP is included in the Complete mod, that's where all the bug fixes come from.

Rii
05-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I've used Origin and don't have any complaints with it. It does start when I start my games, which I really like. I would still recommend buying from Steam because you can just put the CD key into Origin and then you have it on both services.

Turns out I can't read numbers and Steam is actually cheaper than Origin, but this is an excellent point regardless. Cheers!

Jams O'Donnell
06-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Bwahaha -- the loyalty promo for Call of Pripyat (for people who own a previous Stalker game on Steam) still applies to the sale price. Call of Pripyat for £3 and change? I don't mind if I do, thanks.

Now the question is whether I should pick up AI War despite not having much interest in, or the patience for, strategy games these days. The music in the trailers is so good though!

riadsala
06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Now the question is whether I should pick up AI War despite not having much interest in, or the patience for, strategy games these days. The music in the trailers is so good though!

Sounds like you shouldn't bother, unless you want to donate some money to the developer. As while it's a superb game, it's not the easiest game to get into, and you have to be in the right mood. Worth the effort IMO, as it's a unique and interesting stratetgy game. But it sounds like you'll never play it

Ice-Fyre
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I was thinking of getting Garry's Mod and was just wondering if I can run Half Life 2, will Garry's Mod run ok? I'm on a really old pc :(

Creeping Death
06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I was thinking of getting Garry's Mod and was just wondering if I can run Half Life 2, will Garry's Mod run ok? I'm on a really old pc :(

How old? Half Life 2 is a pretty old game after all ;) Of course I imaginei Garry's Mod is slightly more demanding than HL2, especially if you are going to randomly fill a map with explosive barrels and set them all of at once or something

Similar
06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know what happens if you get the Zenith Remnant with summer camp tickets when you already have it? Do you get a giftable copy? (Not really anything left I need, but it might be nice to give the addon to someone).

Ice-Fyre
06-07-2011, 11:49 AM
How old? Half Life 2 is a pretty old game after all ;) Of course I imaginei Garry's Mod is slightly more demanding than HL2, especially if you are going to randomly fill a map with explosive barrels and set them all of at once or something

P4 old! :( I don't plan on blowing up whole maps, as I know that will make my pc blow up lol.

Just don't know how much more of a strain gMod will roughly add on top of HL2... might try it as its only £1 odd

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Just lurking on NeoGAF and noticed that someone has found some upcoming daily deals. No idea when:
Left 4 Dead franchise
Sims 3 franchise (whether that's all Sims or just Sims 3 and its many xpacs)
Far Cry franchise
Kings Bounty franchise
Gothic franchise

Jams O'Donnell
06-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Just lurking on NeoGAF and noticed that someone has found some upcoming daily deals.
Oi, no spoilers! I bet you're the kind of person who opens up all the windows on an advent calendar in the first week. ;)

Ice-Fyre
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Just lurking on NeoGAF and noticed that someone has found some upcoming daily deals. No idea when:
Left 4 Dead franchise
Sims 3 franchise (whether that's all Sims or just Sims 3 and its many xpacs)
Far Cry franchise
Kings Bounty franchise
Gothic franchise

ooooooo Been after Kings Bounty and been wanting to get FarCry for the Father in law!

Rii
06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
[....]
Far Cry franchise

Fingers crossed that this is accurate as I'm hanging out for FC2.

KauhuK
06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Gothic? I'd like to see Risen in a daily deal for it interests me somewhat but even at 14,99€ as it is now I kinda don't know.

SilverSilence
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
If you are referring to '3chopl0x' on Neogaf then that is me :P

The images are on the Steam servers so it's legit, most likely the deals for tomorrow.

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Ha, same avatar as well! Well there you go then :P

@ James O'Donnell - I don't celebrate Christmas :( That being said, if someone gives me an advent calendar, I do it properly, dammit! (Also, this means people interested in those games don't buy early and save more money)

EDIT: Just bought Chernobyl and Pripyat.

Total damages so far:
Bit.Trip Runner - £1.75.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - £1.50.
Super Meat Boy - £6.
Magicka (x4) - £8.15.
STALKER - Shadows of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat - £5.75
Total: 6 games for £24.15. That's just over £6 average. Or 6 games for the price of one new one. Damn.

Colonel J
06-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know what happens if you get the Zenith Remnant with summer camp tickets when you already have it? Do you get a giftable copy? (Not really anything left I need, but it might be nice to give the addon to someone).

I wouldn't mind knowing this too.

Mind you there may not be much market for the gift when everyone with even a vague interest in the game will have snapped up the whole bundle for peanuts at the current crazy sale price. (Incidentally I just read a post from the Arcen dev on their forum, saying that the first 90 minutes of the Steam daily sale netted them more than their total AI War revenue for Feb, Mar & Apr of this year and those weren't bad months for them. Now there a demonstration of the price-elasticisity of customer demand.... )

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I am almost positive you cannot gift them. Getting giftable items (outside specific gift purchases) is very rare on Steam. When I got my Delve Deeper expansion at the prize booth, it just stuffed it in my account. No code, no option to gift.

Malawi Frontier Guard
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Did anyone manage to get the Denial campaign for Fate of the World? It just says I should try later when I try to redeem it.

This made me get the Winter Voices quest for real by accident, and this makes me angry.

Colonel J
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Did anyone manage to get the Denial campaign for Fate of the World? It just says I should try later when I try to redeem it.

I wanted to get this then remembered my copy of FotW was brought from Direct2Drive (that'll teach me) and the game doesn't register on Steam. Other than the SpaceChem DLC this is the only Summer Camp freebie I actually want. Oh well.

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Jamestown!

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Steam is a bit broken. Killing Floor bundle is however 75% off to £5.11. So there's that. Whatever the bundle includes. I canne see cap'n!

Sceptrum
06-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Seems like Steam is wobbly today. Or Valve decided to stop having deals 4 days earlier than planned.

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Everyone get Atom Zombie Smasher if you haven't already -- it's great!

outoffeelinsobad
06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Lost Planet 2! But I just bought Bad Company 2! Damn the internet!

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Ah here we go. Well, those 'predictions' came 'true'. I heard you like Far Cry, so we put some Sims in your Left 4 Dead with Batman.

Yeah. OP update incoming. Now fill this thread explaining why Far Cry 2 is allegedly so brilliant!

cowthief skank
06-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Also, this means people interested in those games don't buy early and save more money

Isn't the first rule of Steam sales to leave everything til the last day unless it comes on daily special before then?

Am kind of tempted by Killing Floor; my friend and I love Left 4 Dead, so am curious how similar / different it is.

The JG Man
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Sure, but as it gets later on in the sale and people start to think their desired game won't come up, they might abandon waiting.

OP finally updated. I'd like to thank all those franchises with those many, many games. RUSH looks like the most interesting and whilst it's not a daily, it is one of the achievements. I don't know if it'll remain at that price, but it does have a demo. Looks great with that simplistic colour palette.

EDIT 2: Although not mentioned anywhere, Sims: Medieval is 33% off for £20.09. I knew I should've checked that page sooner.

thegooseking
06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Well, now I own Far Cry 2 twice (once on Xbox 360 and once on Steam). Then again, with £2.49 for the Steam version and £8 for the toybox version, I've still only spent just over £10 on it total and I think that's fine.

airtekh
06-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Isn't the first rule of Steam sales to leave everything til the last day unless it comes on daily special before then?

Am kind of tempted by Killing Floor; my friend and I love Left 4 Dead, so am curious how similar / different it is.

Both involve killing zombies, sure, but they do play very differently in practice. Think of Killing Floor as Left 4 Dead's survival mode, but with a slower pace, character classes and a definite end point. The guns feel very 'meaty' in KF and even just getting a headshot with a pistol is very satisfying. If you liked L4D, then chances are you'll like KF as well.

I think I'll get the GTA episodes myself. Anyone got an opinion on Prototype? The price isn't exceptional so unless the game is fantastic I don't think I'll bother.

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I like prototype; I wouldn't call it fantastic. I think I bought it for $15 as well, about a year ago. I got my money's worth, but I wasn't buying a ton of other games at the time (no massive Steam Sale)

Christian
06-07-2011, 07:00 PM
[...]
I think I'll get the GTA episodes myself. Anyone got an opinion on Prototype? The price isn't exceptional so unless the game is fantastic I don't think I'll bother.

Prototype is kind of fun, basically an open world game with freely selectable missions/activities across the city. You level up to gain more powers (Jump higher, turn your hands into giant sledgehammers, shoot spikes through the floor, that stuff). It's kind of fun to run around and smash things up or just glide through the city, but it might get a bit boring after a while because although the city changes (visually, also more infected running around) with your progress in the missions, it stays mostly the same. The story is ok I guess.

But 9,99 € is a bit too much in my opinion, I'd rather recommend Just Cause 2 or Batman for the free-roaming experience (although Batman's mechanics are great but the area is too small) if you can live without the mutation stuff and being able to pick up cars and throw them around.

So it's not really fantastic, just fun at times I'd say.

Also, I haven't seen one of those since good old Amiga-times (just popped up within Steam):

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1514577835
<hr>Varnish cache server

Oak
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Now fill this thread explaining why Far Cry 2 is allegedly so brilliant!

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/10/opinion_on_far_cry_2s_slow_bur.php

Surprisingly different. Very roughly, Left 4 Dead is about running for your life, while Killing Floor is about fighting for it. There are rounds that need to be survived rather than safe houses that need to be found, and they consist entirely of killing waves of monsters. Waves and waves and waves and waves of monsters. Inbetween rounds, you hoof it the next "trader" location to buy guns, ammo, and knickknacks before the next wave triggers. It's closer to a co-op arcade game than it is to Left 4 Dead; it realizes that, and absolutely revels in it, and that's why it's great.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Atom Zombie Smasher is really super.

It's really super!

J-snukk
06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Argh, The Sims 3 is still so expensive, it makes my organs weep bile.

airtekh
06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
@Giaddon, Christian

Cheers guys. I figured as much.

Yeah. OP update incoming. Now fill this thread explaining why Far Cry 2 is allegedly so brilliant!

I love Far Cry 2, it's one of my favourite games ever.

It's an open-world shooter set in a beautiful African landscape. If you like shooters, I'd say get it because at that price it's worth it. Even if you do get fed up of the respawning checkpoints after a couple of hours, you'll still have gotten your money's worth.

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
It's an open-world shooter set in a beautiful African landscape. If you like shooters, I'd say get it because at that price it's worth it. Even if you do get fed up of the respawning checkpoints after a couple of hours, you'll still have gotten your money's worth.

Play it on easy and it's worth it even if you don't like shooters. Just put a few rounds in any dude that tries to disrupt your landscape-gawking. You'll be safe.

suibhne
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Far Cry 2 might have the best world design in any game, ever, so it's worth getting for the exploration alone if you're into that kind of thing.

Somebody, convince me to buy Atom Zombie Smasher.

Flint
06-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Far Cry 2 is a fantastic game idea brought down by clunky, awkward gameplay and progression. Definitely a risk purchase but if you can ignore the flaws, it could be great. If you can't, well, it's an incredibly frustrating game simply because what it could be but isn't.

Shame it doesn't have mod support, it's one game that would desperately need it.

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
If I had to choose ONE between L4D2 and Killing Floor (I don't know anyone who players either), which should I get? Should I get neither?

J-snukk
06-07-2011, 07:25 PM
If I had to choose ONE between L4D2 and Killing Floor (I don't know anyone who players either), which should I get? Should I get either?

L4D if you have the friends to play it with, if not, killing floor.

edit: derp just read that you don't have friends, gues killing floor then, unless you want to come into PC Gamer chat on steam and play versus with me and my flock of bros.

Vandelay
06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I feel like people are underselling Prototype. It isn't just fun, it is a hell of a lot fun. Dashing around the city, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, just feels gloriously well done. I could spend my whole time just doing that. Varies from very easy to unbelievable hard, which is probably the biggest sore point of the game. Still, it does feel like having super powers for the most part, particularly when tackling army men. Some might be put off by the angsty protagonist, but you can ignore the story for long stretches and just go steal some helicopters, infiltrate army bases, destroy infected buildings, take part in various challenge games or take the shape of an old lady and leap off of tall buildings. I paid about double what they are asking and certainly felt like I got value for money from it.

Quite honestly, gaming seems a little short on good super hero games and Prototype is probably one of the best. Unfortunately, the best is also on sale today, for a much better price.

I'm slightly disappointed by today's sales. Episodes from Liberty City can't be bought on it's own and The Sims 3 expansions requires the Steam version of the game (which is standard, I suppose.)

I am tempted by Killing Floor though. Is it good to play with randoms or do you really need to play with friends? The Summer Sideshow thing looks quite fun.

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
derp just read that you don't have friends

Sadface :(

J-snukk
06-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Sadface :(

Lol, well you're always welcome in PC Gamer chat, it's a terrifying place, but you can gain playing companions.

ArtVandelay
06-07-2011, 07:36 PM
If I had to choose ONE between L4D2 and Killing Floor (I don't know anyone who players either), which should I get? Should I get neither?

I would say L4D2 over Killing Floor. I didn't have any friends that played L4D2 but I built up a good amount of friends on Steam by adding people to as friends after games were over. L4D2 just seems to have so much more content than KF does. KF is all survival while L4D2 has campaign, VS, Realism, scavenge (my personal favorite) and survival. I find that the L4D2 community is a lot more likely to use voice in game and coordinate a strategy. It also means you get to listen to more people complain/spam useless noise.

J-snukk
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I would say L4D2 over Killing Floor. I didn't have any friends that played L4D2 but I built up a good amount of friends on Steam by adding people to as friends after games were over. L4D2 just seems to have so much more content than KF does. KF is all survival while L4D2 has campaign, VS, Realism, scavenge (my personal favorite) and survival. I find that the L4D2 community is a lot more likely to use voice in game and coordinate a strategy. It also means you get to listen to more people complain/spam useless noise.

Aye, nothing quite liek Versus with friends. Also I didn't like how if you were terrible at Killing Floor, you'd never get any cool weapons cos you'd keep dying and then every wave would get harder, so you'd jsut die faster. On the whole, didn't enjoy it.

Tikey
06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I should probably wait until Arkham City to buy Arkham Asylum right? I mean It's bound to be even cheaper.

J-snukk
06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I should probably wait until Arkham City to buy Arkham Asylum right? I mean It's bound to be even cheaper.

It's pretty dayum cheap as it is. I doubt it will get cheaper.

cowthief skank
06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Surprisingly different. Very roughly, Left 4 Dead is about running for your life, while Killing Floor is about fighting for it. There are rounds that need to be survived rather than safe houses that need to be found, and they consist entirely of killing waves of monsters. Waves and waves and waves and waves of monsters. Inbetween rounds, you hoof it the next "trader" location to buy guns, ammo, and knickknacks before the next wave triggers. It's closer to a co-op arcade game than it is to Left 4 Dead; it realizes that, and absolutely revels in it, and that's why it's great.

Thanks. It sounds like a good game... Just probably not the sort of thing we are into. We don't have much time to game together, and tend to prefer progression rather than waves of enemies, so it probably wouldn't get played enough to really justify it, even at such a low price.

So - what is this Atom Zombie Smasher thing about?

Flint
06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Aye, nothing quite liek Versus with friends.
Versus with friends is one of the best multiplayer experiences in gaming.

Versus with random strangers, on the other hand, is a circle of Hell.

suibhne
06-07-2011, 07:45 PM

By that logic, you should probably wait till 2025.

Seriously, what's it worth to you to play one of the best games of the past few years, and probably the best superhero game ever? If it's only worth $1.50 to you, fine...but you're weird. ;)

Giaddon
06-07-2011, 07:48 PM
It won't get cheaper by more than a couple bucks, and playing it now is worth that. Don't fall into the trap of trying to min/max your games purchases, man!

BenWah
06-07-2011, 07:48 PM
A few suggestions here - my opinions only:
4. Once you purchase either SoC or CS, you'll get the "loyalty discount" for CoP at any time in the future (tho you won't get the current sale price on top of it, of course).

The loyalty discount and steam sale DID stack, so I got call of pripyat for three dollars and change

suibhne
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
The loyalty discount and steam sale DID stack, so I got call of pripyat for three dollars and change

I guess my post might have been a bit confusing. I meant that you'll get the loyalty price at any time in the future, but you won't get the current sale price on top of that once the current sale is over.

vinraith
06-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Depends. How do you feel about boss fights?

sinomatic
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM

This. Unless you're willing to play with friends, or befriend people who are happy to show you the ropes, just don't do l4d versus. Co-op was generally a much more civilised affair though, even with randoms.

Now.....do I want GTA? I really can't decide. I haven't really been near the GTA series since I and II, with only brief encounters with Vice city and San Andreas. Is IV worth it for the price?

Flint
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
The boss fights in Arkham Asylum weren't bad at all. The last one a bit anticlimactic but otherwise it worked them pretty well.

GTA4: if you want a sandbox game, skip it. It's got a good story with some rather good characters (Niko is easily the best GTA lead guy, IMO), but hardly anything interesting outside the story. The city is massive but feels horridly empty because there just really isn't anything to do there. Unless you like just driving around listening to the radio or shooting pigeons for the sake of doing so.

ArtVandelay
06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

I suppose in time it will get to be cheaper. I think I paid $15 for the regular edition and it was worth every bit of it. One of the best games I've played in the last couple of years.

Tikey
06-07-2011, 07:55 PM
By that logic, you should probably wait till 2025.

Seriously, what's it worth to you to play one of the best games of the past few years, and probably the best superhero game ever? If it's only worth $1.50 to you, fine...but you're weird. ;)

There are a few reasons because I might want to wait.
a) I've already played it
b) I don't have a credit card, so I have to bother a friend of mine (and I don't want to strain his credit card)
c) Devalued currency, so a few dollars means a difference.
That's why I'm seriously considering each purchase.

Even if it doesn't get cheaper it's bound to get a similar discount in the future, I presume.

airtekh
06-07-2011, 08:14 PM

That's a tough choice. I like both games, and they're both pretty good. L4D2 would probably edge it for me because of the extra modes and stuff you get, as ArtVandelay says.

I totally agree with what's being said about Coop and versus. L4D versus with random people is one of the worst experiences I have had in gaming. Horrible. Coop was good though.

I am tempted by Killing Floor though. Is it good to play with randoms or do you really need to play with friends? The Summer Sideshow thing looks quite fun.

I played KF mostly with randoms and enjoyed it. I suppose it depends on what server you're playing on though.

KF also has solo mode which scales the number of enemies for one player. It's damn difficult to finish though, and playing by yourself means you lack the advantage of having the abilities of your teammates classes. Some classes are better suited to taking out big, tough enemies and others are good at destroying multiple weak targets. You really need the balance of both which you don't get when playing solo.

We should really try and get some games going here though. Jim apparently set up an RPS KF server (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?578-Killing-Floor-Server) but I didn't have any luck finding it.

Vandelay
06-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Versus with friends is one of the best multiplayer experiences in gaming.

Completely agree. However, the main problem with L4D1/2 was that it didn't make playing with friends easy. Unless you were going to have 8 of you all playing together, no one would ever hang around as soon as they realised that a group of friends were playing.

Although they did add the team versus to fix this problem slightly, I personally usually only played with one or two other people, so it would still always take forever to get a game. Joining a random game/lobby would mean you would have to hope to get on a team with only one person on it, whilst creating a lobby meant you would be waiting ages for others to join, as well as having to deal with the constant leaving when people realised there was no space for their friends to join or when they noticed the signs that friends were in the game.

You also have the problem with standard versus being far too lenient on the Survivors. Although Valve originally stated the intention was for Survivors to rarely reach the finish line, in reality, the Survivors just sprint to the safe room after killing one wave of Specials. Then you have campaigns that should stop this from happening with water slow down, but, in one of the most baffling design decisions I have ever come across, this is almost completely removed. There are a few server mods that can fix these issues (remove medikits, no level 2 weapons, return water slow down to whatever it is in campaign mode, etc) but, as soon as you try and use these mods on a server, everyone leaves.

They really needed to sort out joining system for the game. I actually don't have an issue with the lack of a server browser, but the lack of lobby browser, where lobbies can be given names is far more frustrating. Just adding "no medikits", "noobs welcome", "select infected", "veterans only", "friend team" or whatever to the title of your lobby would immediately remove a large number of the rage quitting. You should also be able to do a SC2 style party system, so you can search for games that will accommodate two or three people

I also would have liked to see a kind of "build your own campaign" mode, where you could just pick a few maps to play, rather than play a campaign from start to finish. People rarely stay for a full campaign in Versus and there are always the odd

I actually ended up preferring Salvage though. The shorter match times meant people would usually stay until the end and it offered far more potential for various Special attacks over the linear Versus.

Left 4 Dead is just one of those games that could be the greatest game ever created, but it just misses the mark own so many little details. I still love it of course and if you haven't bought it yet the price is an absolute bargain for two games I probably put about 200 hours into, but, if a third is made, it would have to improve on a lot of these areas for me to buy it quite so readily.

The boss fights in Arkham Asylum weren't bad at all. The last one a bit anticlimactic but otherwise it worked them pretty well.

Agreed. I didn't really have any issues with the boss fights, until the last one. It is one of those "Are you really doing this?" moments.

sinomatic
06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Unless you like just driving around listening to the radio or shooting pigeons for the sake of doing so.

Um.......*buys it*

It's the simple things.

As for KF, its not the most attractive game, and has a steeper learning curve than a lot of shooters, but it has a really visceral feel to the guns (I love the iron sights) and can really get quite tense and frantic. Definitely better if you have some mates to play with, but very playable with randoms. The character voice (everyone has the same one) is pretty grating though, as you say something every time you do something.

Ayam
06-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm loving the playful artwork for each day on the Steam summer sale. Francis and Rochelle look so cute, and that Steam mascot with the red eyes seems like such an adorable little powergamer.

vinraith
06-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Well, they certainly killed the game for me, but then I really detest "pattern-finding" boss fights. It's a shame, too, I was having such a good time exploring, sneaking around, and taking out goons. I understand that, as a Batman game, it pretty much has to be full of boss fights, I just wish it weren't so.

Xercies
06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Try GTA 4 multiplayer, it is an absolute blast. If of course there is still people playing it.

TillEulenspiegel
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Atom Zombie Smasher: it's quite good. Puzzle strategy thing, with persistent units that gain experience and upgrade.

laneford
06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Another voice to say that at, £1.70, you all must get Atom Zombie Smasher. It's ridiculously good fun, with lots and lots of replayability. And RPS liked it lots (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/10/wot-i-think-atom-zombie-smasher/)

I do recommend this to you, I really do. It feels fresh and clever and oh-so-PC-gaming-in-2011: no rules but its own, and convincingly realising a concept through smart design rather than empty gloss.

They thought $15 was 'High side of fair', so for this price it's a bloody bargain.

vinraith
06-07-2011, 10:07 PM
For anyone wondering about Atom Zombie Smasher, there's a free demo, so you needn't make a decision blind.

Christian
06-07-2011, 10:10 PM
For anyone wondering about Atom Zombie Smasher, there's a free demo, so you needn't make a decision blind.

Yes. I just tried that (while waiting for L4D2 to download). An after realizing it's made by Blendo and liking the presentation (intro, visuals, music) so much, I just went ahead and bought the game. Damn you Steam!
No to see if it's fun (nearly the same thing happened with AaaAAaetc..).

Comrade Commissar
06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I am posting in this thread for the first time, just to encourage people to buy the GTA IV complete pack.
At this price, you'll hardly find anything that delivers more long-term fun than GTA IV, the episodes and their multiplayer modes.
I've played the GTA IV Free Roam mode for months and months and you never get bored, as there is a great modding community that mods almost everything.

When you've had enough of the "standard" Free Roam and want to even enhance your fun, you can download trainers and spawners that are specifically designed for the Free Roam mode. I am quite into roleplaying and equipped with the Simple Native Trainer (Google it!), a proper vehicle spawner, the integrated prop spawner and a playermodel selector it's more or less like an epic version of Garry's Mod, set in an enourmos city with lots of stuff to discover, a great atmosphere and lots of things to do.

For example my friends and I invented the "I am Legend" mode, in which we would turn off all pedestrians, traffic and background noises, spawn props in the subway networks of Liberty City and set up bases, venture out at day, looking for cars, food and other stuff and spawn zombies (The crack addict model) at night, which would attack us if we go outside. We had TONS of fun and I can only encourage anyone to buy GTA IV and the episodes and try the MP with some friends. Great and hilarious moments guaranteed! (And for all those who prefer SP games, the storyline is quite good and there are some rather great characters in both, the main game and the episodes. Buy it!)

Also, I am looking forward to play some of GTA's multiplayer with you guys. I can easily show you the ropes on how to get trainers etc. work properly in your game.

Greetings,
MrWeed

P.S.: Excuse my English, I'm German.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 12:51 AM
GTA IV free roam mode is awesome - It's very fun to come up with Top Gear challenges. What's the maximum number of players?

MD!
07-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Am I remembering correctly that the consensus on Arcania is that it's shit, and Risen is the interesting one?

Creeping Death
07-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Am I remembering correctly that the consensus on Arcania is that it's shit, and Risen is the interesting one?

I wouldn't call Arcania shit, atleast I rather enjoyed it, but yea Risen is considered the far superior game and is genuinely awesome.

Comrade Commissar
07-07-2011, 02:19 AM
GTA IV free roam mode is awesome - It's very fun to come up with Top Gear challenges. What's the maximum number of players?

It's 32 players.

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 02:56 AM
I ended up getting Killing Floor. It just looks... unbelievably stupid. Left 4 Dead 2 looks so involved. I like my multiplayer shooters easy to jump in and jump out of. (Most of the time)

ColOfNature
07-07-2011, 03:11 AM
For example my friends and I invented the "I am Legend" mode, in which we would turn off all pedestrians, traffic and background noises, spawn props in the subway networks of Liberty City and set up bases, venture out at day, looking for cars, food and other stuff and spawn zombies (The crack addict model) at night, which would attack us if we go outside.

That sounds awesome. Between this and the hi-def mod Alec posted the other day, I'm sold. Even if the super-duper graphics don't work with the Steam version.

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 04:04 AM
I believe the graphics mod is being updated to work with the latest patch, from what I've read. That mode sounds awesome too.

P7uen
07-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Re: Atom Zombie Smasher

I won't have time to try the demo before it ticks over tonight, but the video looks like the old Sean O'Conner Windows game Rats!

If someone can confirm this, I'll buy it.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 05:17 AM
I got a bargain basement copy of BC2 on Saturday, as well – anyone care to share their favorite servers?

TheLastBaron
07-07-2011, 05:34 AM
I always felt in L4D2 it was always easier as infected. I played it with a group of mates quite a bit when it first came out, though we haven't played since the Passing came out due to school/time issues, but with a couple of organized people it's very easy to set up death-charges and smokes/jockeys. Granted thats with an organized team, but when the other team knew what they were doing it was the same for us.

field_studies
07-07-2011, 06:38 AM
I wouldn't call Arcania shit, atleast I rather enjoyed it, but yea Risen is considered the far superior game and is genuinely awesome.

Agreed. Risen does fall apart a bit near the end, as all the reviews will mention, but up 'til then it's very solid and immersive. Certainly makes the fans of the series among us excited for the sequel.

Arcania? Mmmmm... even putting aside that it doesn't feel like a Gothic game (and my resulting disappointment at that) the thing just never really grabs you. A big world that's ultimately linear, doesn't reward backtracking and usually obstructs it, and a plot that's very thin on the ground. I played it, kept hoping, and got within a half hour of the ending, I'd wager, but just never felt like picking it up again. So I'll never finish it, likely, and that's a perfect indication about how little I came to care about the world it creates.

winterwolves
07-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I honestly found Two Worlds II better than Arcania, even if perhaps a bit too easy once you become a powerful warrior-mage :)

endintears
07-07-2011, 08:28 AM
I was on the fence about Atom Zombie Smasher, a bit concerned about reviews that said it quickly got stale, but I caved after the recommendations in this thread. I'm glad I did so, it's great fun, and I already feel like I've got £1.79 of enjoyment out of my first play through.

Anthile
07-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Rumour has it that Sanctum will be 75% off today.

Heliocentric
07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Atom zombie smasher is effing crazy good, if you like strategy games at all get it.

Procedural generation, persistent campaign, destructable/deployable terrain, infection dynamics. the only strategy game buzz words missing are those related to morale and supression, but this is zombies we are talking about.

Jams O'Donnell
07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Rumour has it that Sanctum will be 75% off today.
Aha, two thank yous to you: 1) I'd forgotten what that game was called 2) I'll keep my eyes on the sale.

Olero
07-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Anyone here has some views about Winter voices for me? I'm strangely attracted by that game, but fearful on the other side.

Malawi Frontier Guard
07-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Anyone here has some views about Winter voices for me? I'm strangely attracted by that game, but fearful on the other side.

Buy it. I dare you.

Edit: No, it's not good in case you were wondering. I wrote too much about how it's not good to elaborate here.

Buy it anyway.

Edit2: It wasn't a daily deal yet I believe, so watch out.

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I'll probably cave in when Winter Voices becomes available on sale.

The demo has left me feeling decidedly "Meh", but I have a feeling this is exactly what they're going for, and I am a sucker for turn-based tactical emo RPGs that are not Final Fantasy.

The sales incentive will have to be really nice though. I'm hoping for EU3 complete pack down the line, personally.

SilverSilence
07-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Looks like a C&C and Quake will be on tomorrow

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901712/header_292x136.jpg
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901713/header_292x136.jpg

MonkeyMonster
07-07-2011, 10:12 AM
jamestown... seems worth it especially at that price - the coop though, anyone tried it?

Flint
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Oh very nice, I've been wanting to get Quake again for a while for some nostalgia frolicing. This'll be handy.

Creeping Death
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
jamestown... seems worth it especially at that price - the coop though, anyone tried it?

Not personally, but just so you know it is same machine only.

Jamestown is a great game though! Very fun, but very short! I did everythingg/got every unlock in about 3-4 hours :P

Rii
07-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Wasn't the id pack already a daily deal earlier?

moth bones
07-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Balls. Downloaded the Winter Voices demo only to find that the game won't fit on my screen no matter what resolution I select on the options menu. Never experienced this with any other game so I'm rather unimpressed.

Edit - hasty post. The actual game seems OK, but in setup the right end of the text boxes is cut off. So not as bad as feared, but still an odd problem.

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
How many more days of this are there?! What started as a fun, sunlit romp has become a grueling slog mired in tears and ruin...

Here's my damage so far:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - $10
Oblivion - $6
Jamestown - $5
SpaceChem - $5
Killing Floor -$5
Delve Deeper - $5
Recettear - $5
Beat Hazard Complete - $3
Hinterland -$2.50
Bit.Trip Runner - $2.50
Zen Bound 2 - $1

Total: $50

My budget is $60, but unless Drakensang gets a nice daily deal, I may have to push that up to $70...

ColOfNature
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I feel your pain, my friend.

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition @ £10.19
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution @ £14.99
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - All Wargear DLC @ £3.49
Vertex Dispenser @ £3.49
Beat Hazard Complete @ £2.12
Monday Night Combat @ £2.74
GTA IV Complete Bundle @ £6.24

Total so far: £43.01, and there's the weekend still to go!

Edit: and I still plan to grab Dark Athena and Bloodlines. And no doubt I'll fall for something else that I wouldn't have otherwise, for I am weak.

Jams O'Donnell
07-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm doing pretty well -- only about £20 spent, on:

Alpha Protocol (£3.75)
Call of Pripyat (£3.24)
Frozen Synapse (£9.48)
HOMMV pack (£3.74)

I've manage to resist a lot of temptation, though I do regret not grabbing SpaceChem. I've a few things on my Wishlist that I'll be hoping make it into the sales before we're through though -- Sanctum, Capsized, Mafia 2, and Metro 2033 (I have a vague feeling I missed that one).

Damnit, Atom Zombie Smasher, stop looking at me that way! Must resist supercheap indie games!

Creeping Death
07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh we're talking about the damage to our bank accounts now? Oh fun! So far I've got:

AI War
Jamestown
Terraria
Garshasp
DnD: Daggerdale
NFS Hot Pursuit
Two Worlds II
Arma II British Forces dlc

Roughly thats around £42, which is nothing for a Steam sale really... Still keeping an eye out for a daily deal of Brink though, along with maybe The First Templar and Solar 2 near the end of the sale.

All in all I feel like I've behaved myself this time around.... Or more that I already own the majority of games that have gone on sale and have little left to buy :(

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
AZS is really great, not sure why you'd want to resist at that price.

Jams O'Donnell
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
AZS is really great, not sure why you'd want to resist at that price.
You are not helping.

Flint
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
So far I've only spent about £10 or so: HOMM5 + expansions + Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and Tiny Bang Story x2 (one for me and one as a gift for a friend). I've been pretty picky with purchases, no desire to get just about anything at any price. I prefer just looking out for something I genuinely want for a low price.

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
AI War, Alpha Protocol, Bully, Darksiders, Mount & Blade (all of them) and SpaceChem.

Mhmm. Not so bad yet, even if I haven't played anything apart from SpaceChem yet. Sims3 was briefly interesting, but it'd be more of a guilty-pleasure game that I don't want on my steam profile. :D

Heliocentric
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
So far, so indie.
Recettear, AI War, Atom Zombie smasher. Also Stalker:clear sky but I only bought that to have the full set, means I can build houses on it. Also Assassins creed 2:with knobs on edition which I'd totally forgotten about.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Atom Zombie Smasher, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 & Vietnam, inexplicably a bunch of Elven Legacy games, Majesty 1 & 2, Warband, Call of Pripyat, Supreme Commander 2, Dawn of War II – Retribution, Zeno Clash
:'(

Anthile
07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I already lost count.

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
So just tried out the RUSH demo, it being one of the daily achievements and on sale for 87p. Firstly, it's very nice to look at and the music is nice and backgroundy. The gameplay is intuitive and it works well. Fans of straight up puzzle games should really give it a go and for 87p, you could spend it a lot worse on worse things to fill those lunch time breaks. I would get it if it weren't for the fact that there's a lot of other go-to time-killing games I have. It might seem a tad unfair it being a whole 87p, but you have to draw the line somewhere. All round, pretty good fun.

P7uen
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Also Stalker:clear sky but I only bought that to have the full set, means I can build houses on it..

I lol'd.

Bioshock 1
Bioshock 2
Fallout: Nude Vegans
Just Cause 2
Magicka
MoW: Assault Squad
SpaceChem (CTD upon running it)

So yes, all the games I should already own, but don't.

hamster
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Oddly enough, I bought Freespace 2 from GOG and nothing from the Steam sale. Either I already had the game or just wasn't that interested (more of the latter). I remember in last year's Steam sale i bought Thief 3, Bioshock 2 (which i still haven't played; haven't beaten Bioshock 1 yet), Red Faction Guerrilla, Batman (I think) ... ahh. Some time ago i also bought Orange Box but i don't think it was the last Steam sale but the one before it. Oh and I think the GTA 4 complete pack...played a bit of it but the missions were very tedious and i uninstalled all 16 gb pretty quickly.

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Sweet! Risen! *purchase*

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Audiosurf - 89p! Lara Croft: Guardian of Light - £2.50! Blimey heck!

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Oooh, I wanted to have that Guardian of Light anyway.

Quick question regarding multiplayer - two PCs? One PC? Splitscreen? How many copies of this do I need to play with someone else?

Also, someone sell me on Sanctum, please.

Regarding Risen: I heartily recommend it to anyone who liked Gothic 1 and Gothic 2. I bought it at full prize, and have not regretted it, despite the horrible, horrible boss fight and the boring last chapter. The rest was very satisfying (though not quite as good as aforementioned Gothics).

Ayam
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I guess loads of people hit that front page at 18:00 UK time. Anyway, yes, Audiosurf, time to dig out that whalesong!

raddevon
07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Oooh, I wanted to have that Guardian of Light anyway.

Quick question regarding multiplayer - two PCs? One PC? Splitscreen? How many copies of this do I need to play with someone else?

You can play multiplayer on a single PC.

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Okay, but can I also play on two PCs?

The difference is one purchase vs 3. :D

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Urge to double dip rising.

Sanctum was Quick Look'd. (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sanctum/17-4075/)

hamster
07-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Opinions on audiosurf? Ignore the pricing.

Flint
07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Quake 1 bought. Pondered for a while whether to get the whole Quake collection but then realised I'm not into Q3 and I don't know if I'd ever be bothered to go through all the four mission packs for Q1 and Q2, so decided to save a few coins and just get the first one.

Audiosurf opinion: it's a fun timewaster. Plays really well and a nice way to kill some time every now and then. Can't go wrong with that price.

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Opinions on audiosurf? Ignore the pricing.

It's a great way to listen to music. It matches the song (in the shape and intensity of the track) better than any other music-based game I've played. The different modes and difficulties let you focus on the music or on the gameplay. I like it a lot.

SirKicksalot
07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Quake collection for me. Played first two games for hundreds of hours, never touched the expansions though.

Xercies
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
@Hamster

Its definitly the best music generator game out there in my opinion, all the others seem to have some kind of disconnect between the game and the music making the music feel a little useless. Unfortunatly it kind of only works on some tunes and not others, like if its a banging tune you will get a lot of fun out of it, if its a slow tune it will become a bit boring. But its pretty decent.

Faldrath
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Hm, Risen is tempting me. More opinions?

And yes, if you like music, you should have Audiosurf. Playing Mono, I find that I actually pay more attention to the song than I usually do otherwise, which is pretty interesting.

amandachen
07-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah. I'm tempted by Risen too. Anyone notice that all of a sudden Risen went from 75% off to 66% off. Oh well, still a bargain.

Flint
07-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I seem to have gained the "played a free game demo" Summer Camp achievement when I did the "download and play a trailer" one. Okay, works for me.

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Audiosurf - visuals cross between WipeOut and a music visualiser, with certain modes playing somewhere between Tetris and Guitar Hero, whilst others are closer to a racing game where you have to dodge obstacles whilst collecting other items.

It's a fantastic game and is as expansive as your like of music. Every new album is an expansion. Very great to kill time with.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
The price has Risen™

As for Cities XL: I was really excited by this game when it was announced, as SimCity 4 may be my favorite game ever. The first version was abysmal – they wanted a subscription fee to play a largely single-player game. I got the new subscriptionless version several months ago, but unfortunately it lacks the depth that made SimCity so compelling. Something about it just doesn't click for me.

Urthman
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah. I'm tempted by Risen too. Anyone notice that all of a sudden Risen went from 75% off to 66% off. Oh well, still a bargain.

Yes. That made me paranoid. It was 75% off and then when I logged into my account it was 66% off. I was all WTF? Are they giving me a higher price because it's on my wishlist and they already know I want it? Glad to hear it wasn't just me seeing two different prices.

ArtVandelay
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Okay, but can I also play on two PCs?

The difference is one purchase vs 3. :D

They patched in the ability to do online coop. So you can play locally on one PC on the same screen - no split or over LAN or internet.

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 06:57 PM
The price has Risen™.

YES

Thank you.

Squiz
07-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I am glad that I tried the Risen demo before buying. It's not my thing and I definitely got a different impression from the "Risen Journal" here at RPS than what I experienced some moments ago. If you've got the bandwidth to test it, definitely do that before buying. Makes me wish for more games that get a demo.

imirk
07-07-2011, 07:14 PM
So AudioSurf + Portal 2 sound track = ?

Car to Pol
07-07-2011, 07:19 PM
How are the different Tomb Raider games? It's part of games' history I've missed out on.

Yet it intrigues. I noticed Legend being a controversial choice as one of the 122 best games ever. So that's in the bag. Also Guardian of Light and Underworld. Overdoing it?

ArtVandelay
07-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I picked up a four pack of Sanctum and will have at least one extra copy, but most likely two. Anyone care to make a trade? PM me if interested.

Edit: All gone. Thanks.

Squiz
07-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Has anyone figured out which "prices" (if you can call them that) are really worth the tickets? I mean, I don't own too many of those games, but I guess there are some differences in the theoretical worth of those items. The TF2 shades for example look kind of lame compared to a whole expansion (AI War)... I might pick them up anyways, since I think at the end of the sale, I'll have more tickets than I can really put to good use.

tomeoftom
07-07-2011, 07:31 PM
So glad I finally found Freespace 2. Brilliant spaceporn. Killing Floor was /SUCH/ a good purchase - definitely a whole lot more fun than I was expecting. Just so silly and violent and all-around /crunchy/. Very satisfying game to just sit back and kill stuff in.

Anthile
07-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Has anyone figured out which "prices" (if you can call them that) are really worth the tickets? I mean, I don't own too many of those games, but I guess there are some differences in the theoretical worth of those items. The TF2 shades for example look kind of lame compared to a whole expansion (AI War)... I might pick them up anyways, since I think at the end of the sale, I'll have more tickets than I can really put to good use.

The estimated value of a ticket is about 0.60. So yeah.

Squiz
07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks Anthile, much appreciated.

Colonel J
07-07-2011, 07:43 PM

The SpaceChem DLC is the only one I might have paid a bit for on it's own. If I ever get round to playing it I still have too much to do in the main campaign and that's such a daunting time-sink already. The Delve Deeper pack looks worth having too but I haven't touched that game yet.Wouldn't have minded having the Fate of the World one but it's only one mission and I can't use that DLC anyway as my game won't register on Steam.
I guess the Alien Breed game is worth something on it's own but would I play it when this sale has already added another 6 nice games to my backlog - almost certainly not.
The AI War expansion I have and the rest is guff I don't need.

vinraith
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't have minded having the Fate of the World one but it's only one mission and I can't use that DLC anyway as my game won't register on Steam.

Yes it will. The devs set up a "key converter" for non-Steam FotW owners to convert their keys to something Steam will take, it's here:

http://drm.fateoftheworld.net/steam

"Missions" in FotW are full length campaigns, so I think it's worth grabbing.

Edit: In case you're at all concerned about the validity of that, it's sourced from a post by the devs in the Steam forum for the game, here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813228

Also, I've used it myself, and it worked fine.

Colonel J
07-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes it will. The devs set up a "key converter" for non-Steam FotW owners to convert their keys to something Steam will take, it's here:

http://drm.fateoftheworld.net/steam

Sweet! Thank you I didn't know about that. I hadn't looked at the FotW site for a few months, I assumed it still didn't work when I tried to add my game key the usual way on Steam this week and it bounced.

airtekh
07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
How are the different Tomb Raider games? It's part of games' history I've missed out on.

Yet it intrigues. I noticed Legend being a controversial choice as one of the 122 best games ever. So that's in the bag. Also Guardian of Light and Underworld. Overdoing it?

In my opinion, the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) are very good indeed. I'd say that they're much better than the original Tomb Raider games by Core Design.

If you're looking to pick just one, then that's tough, as they are all good. Legend is much shorter than either Anniversary or Underworld so keep that in mind if you like a longer game. Of the three, I liked Anniversary the best but that's just me.

Guardian of Light is very different to a 'standard' Tomb Raider game. It's more of a top down action affair. If you like that sort of thing and are aware how it differs from other Tomb Raiders, then go right ahead. Personally, I didn't like it much, but I played it in single player and apparently it's much better in coop mode.

Malawi Frontier Guard
07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I already have the Denial DLC, that's why I couldn't choose it.

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Guardian of Light is a twin-stick shooter puzzle game with a good quantity of platforming and exploration, with more emphasis on the puzzling rather than shooting.. You explore the levels to find collectibles and complete tasks with reward you with customisation options (more health, more ammo, better guns, etc.). It took me about 6 hours to complete solo, but I've heard co-op is more enjoyable as the puzzles are tailored to require both people, whilst in solo you can do everything yourself. It's quite clever at parts and whilst it's fairly linear, there are often opportunities to complete the level in any order you wish and there's always paths off the beaten track. There are specific challenge rooms that reward instantly upon completion. Levels are pretty interactive and the gameplay is very intuitive, so you won't often find yourself head scratching. When you complete a level, you can go back and play it from the menu at any point to get anything you missed (the level will be reset, apart from the unique collectibles previously attained). I played it on the 360 and had a hell of a lot of fun with it. For that price, it's truly a steal.

Check out the Quick Look for GoL (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light/17-3054/) if you want to see it in action.

dsdan
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
In my opinion, the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) are very good indeed.

Yeah, in my opinion, all three are fantastic. I can still visualize some of the epic levels. My preferred order of playing is Anniversary->Legend->Underworld because Underworld resolves Legend's cliffhanger ending.

Vandelay
07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
In my opinion, the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) are very good indeed. I'd say that they're much better than the original Tomb Raider games by Core Design.

If you're looking to pick just one, then that's tough, as they are all good. Legend is much shorter than either Anniversary or Underworld so keep that in mind if you like a longer game. Of the three, I liked Anniversary the best but that's just me.

Guardian of Light is very different to a 'standard' Tomb Raider game. It's more of a top down action affair. If you like that sort of thing and are aware how it differs from other Tomb Raiders, then go right ahead. Personally, I didn't like it much, but I played it in single player and apparently it's much better in coop mode.

I would agree that they are better than the early ones, which I loved as a kid, but certainly weren't without major faults.

I would also go with Anniversary being the best. Legend felt very much like testing the formula, whilst Anniversary and Underworld took it to another level. If you were only going to get one, then probably Anniversary is a good place to start. It's just a pity they didn't get a chance to do a re-make of the second game too.

I really liked Guardian of Light too, but I would imagine if you didn't like the single player then you wouldn't find much to like in the co-op. It plays pretty much identically, except you occasionally have to run along the other persons grappling hook wire or jump on their shield. The puzzles, bar one or two, are not made any more complex or taxing by adding the second player. Still a lot of fun though, but it just didn't add that much, besides having a laugh with a friend.

Car to Pol
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Woop, thanks fair peoples! These steam sales, I'll give them all my money. I'll have to get Anniversary too. Isn't that a remake of the first tomb raider game that I never played?

Edit: I've played a demo of Guardian of Light, liked it and heard too many good things to not buy if for some money.

Flint
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I'll have to get Anniversary too. Isn't that a remake of the first tomb raider game that I never played?
It is yes. It basically takes the great original and improves upon it by removing some of the wonky things and adding some great new features, plus updating the levels to modern technology and making them rather more woah (sadly they kinda mucked up the iconic moment of the third level's beginning). Plus it ties the plot to go with the rest of the Crystal Dynamics games (acting as a prequel to Legend, if I'm not entirely wrong).

Ice-Fyre
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I might pick them up anyways, since I think at the end of the sale, I'll have more tickets than I can really put to good use.

You can still spend them even if you don't have the game lol I don't know if you buy the game later, you get the dlc then :-/

MondSemmel
07-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I've already bought Lara Croft: GOL in a previous sale, but I haven't had time to play it yet. However, the DLC is currently 75% off, too.
Has anyone played the DLC for GOL and can tell me whether it's worth it at that price?

Ayam
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Who is the lady on the left in the Steam illustration today (7/7)? Chun Li, Lara and... who is the other?

Oak
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
The lady from Rift. They have the same pants. I have them too, they're comfy.

Also, Lara has two left feet and Chun-Li has two right feet.

laneford
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
If I were hypothetically interested in Company of Heroes, would I want Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor also? Or just the vanilla game?

Creeping Death
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
If I were hypothetically interested in Company of Heroes, would I want Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor also? Or just the vanilla game?

Well you would be downloading all 3 of them when you go to install vanilla CoH, so already that is one point in favour of buying all 3 :P

Opposing Fronts adds 2 very interesting armies and decent length campaigns, while Tales of Valour takes a slightly different approach in it's storytelling, focusing on a small group of characters over 3 or 4 missions for each army.

For the price I would say get all 3, they'll keep you busy for quite some time and are pretty amazing games.

Comrade Commissar
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
So, what do you guys think?
Will there be a Portal 2 daily deal some time this weekend?
I think so, because all of the games you could get content for from the prize booth had a daily deal and Portal 2 content is available, too.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Incidentally, can you imagine what Valve's bandwidth bill looks like this month?
D:

Xercies
I'm sure there will be but i don't think it will be that spectacular a discount, though you never know they could decide to be a little insane.

Christian
So, what do you guys think?
Will there be a Portal 2 daily deal some time this weekend?
I think so, because all of the games you could get content for from the prize booth had a daily deal and Portal 2 content is available, too.

I sure hope so. And it would make a fine finale for the sale in my opinion as it seems to be Valve's flagship game right now. Maybe they'll throw in a nice update or something with the sale. Then they'll take over the world I guess.

vinraith
07-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm sure there will be but i don't think it will be that spectacular a discount, though you never know they could decide to be a little insane.

That's my guess as well. At best I suspect they might do 50%, so $20. That's still quite good considering how new it is, mind. It's not below my Steam price cap, though.

LeiterJakab
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Sanctum is really cheap right now, and it's definitely worth it.

Kodeen
07-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Incidentally, can you imagine what Valve's bandwidth bill looks like this month?
D:

Two
10char10char

Basilicus
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM

Crystal Dynamics created a really interesting trilogy out of them. I played them in the order Legend, Anniversary, Underworld (as released) and quite enjoyed it, as Anniversary acts as a prequel interlude, much like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or the middle of a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel.

Legend and Underworld handle their story really well; Anniversary's story is a bit of a non-starter. It probably has the best level design out of all of them, though, but has the worst camera programming of the three and gets stupidly hard at the end. I favor Underworld as my favorite. It has a touch less exploration than the other two, but the art design is truly spectacular. I'd recommend getting the whole trilogy, though - it's well worth it and you'll definitely get your gaming dollars (or pounds or Euros) out of it.

EDIT: Legend has the best combat, Anniversary the best exploration/puzzle solving (until the stupidly hard end), and Underworld does the best job of making you feel like you're there. I'd also say Underworld has the best feel for the acrobatics (though it can cheat in your favor a little), but I know some prefer the classic feel of Anniversary/Legend. Oh, and Underworld's final level/climax has got to be one of my favorite gaming moments of all time.

Sproutmask
07-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Sanctum is really cheap right now, and it's definitely worth it.

+1 to this, it's a very slick little game, and the game over screen is worth the price of admission on its own.

dsdan
07-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Anniversary the best exploration/puzzle solving (until the stupidly hard end)
I recently replayed Anniversary, and I had to download a post-tower-climb savegame because my aged reflexes can no longer pull it off. I suspect that I am not alone in the savegame-downloading department for that section of the game.

TillEulenspiegel
07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Bandwidth pricing at the level Valve is operating is actually kinda interesting. And by "interesting", I of course mean terribly boring but unusual. If you put a rack of servers in someone else's large facility with giant pipes, it often works like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstable_billing

So if you manually limit your Mbit/s transfer rate, the total amount of data actually transferred doesn't really matter. It's a bit like paying an ISP for a physical internet connection - you're going to pay the same amount for that 100Mbit/s line whether you use it at full capacity 24/7 or not at all.

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Attempting to download Audiosurf right now is not a tremendously bright idea. I think that's one little gem that'll explode bandwidth alone.

Basilicus
08-07-2011, 01:10 AM
I recently replayed Anniversary, and I had to download a post-tower-climb savegame because my aged reflexes can no longer pull it off. I suspect that I am not alone in the savegame-downloading department for that section of the game

I got halfway through the tower climb and then banged my head against the very last bit for a day. After watching a YouTube vid of how insanely exact you have to be, I just watched the rest on YouTube.

My backlog is far too extensive to afford that kind of time on stupid design decisions. Not the level design - just the choice not to put a checkpoint halfway up, especially given how schizophrenic the relation between the camera and directional controls were in that section. But it was worth the (ridiculously reduced Steam sale) price of admission for the Greek level alone. Man, that was some stupendous level design right there. I do like both Legend and Underworld better.

Kelron
08-07-2011, 01:28 AM
How challenging/satisfying is Cities XL 2011 as a citybuilder? The variety of design in the screenshots is impressive, and something that always disappointed me about Sim City 4, but is there a solid game beneath the prettiness?

Smashbox
08-07-2011, 02:06 AM
I got much more gratisfaction from simcity 4, honestly