PDA

View Full Version : The Steam Summer Sale Thread of 2011 - My god. It's full of games.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 02:36 AM
So I was looking at the Top Sellers list. It kinda screams of how much research people do. Or in this case, fail to do. Now this is purely speaking taking into account only the UK market, but assuming other countries have had similar trends, and I have no doubt that this is the case, Portal 2 draws to my attention.

Portal 2 requires Steam. On Steam, it is £30 normally, or £20 in this sale. That's a pretty good saving. But.

In just 2 minutes, I searched Amazon, Play, HMV and GAME. Of the 4, one was higher than this. The cheapest was £15. I can appreciate 'not having another case on the shelf', but I don't see that as a palpable reason in choosing to not save £5. It is quicker to install the game from disc over having to download it, which is subject to multiple things that can and indeed will slow it down, as anyone who's tried to download anything from Steam lately will have noticed. In this case, there serves no practical advantage to not buying the game from one of these e-tailers. It has remained in the Top 20 since the very start of the sale.

Similar comments can be made regarding Shogun 2 as well.

The Sims 3 Complete pack has sold more than 3 itself. What does this mean? Perhaps those savy enough to notice how many expansions 2 got were prepared to wait to 'get it all' with 3. And why not? Although the lay-out was hefty, £50, the savings were considerable. The packs are certainly doing well. Valve's has been consistently up there, but I've been impressed by the staying power of the THQ pack, which at the time of writing is the first time it has actually gone out of the Top 20.

People are not looking ahead either. Super Street Fighter 4 is about to come out and completely out-dates SF4. And yet, SF4 is selling better. Of course, the £15 price difference is probably a good explanation for this.

It's very easy to see any game appealing when it has a significant slash, suggesting you're getting great value, but the truth is unless you actually wanted it, you get no 'value', no savings, out of it. To use a comparison, imagine a 2 for 1 offer on a drink in a supermarket. You were not going to buy this drink. It is now on offer. You think it's a great value. You buy it. Despite giving the supermarket proportionally less than you would have had it not been on sale and you'd have bought those 2 bottles anyhow, you've given them more money. And obviously that's the beauty of sales. I'd like to say I've been aware of this, but I'd be lying...

I had no interest in Civilisation 4. It was a daily sale. So I bought it. The Time, Gentlemen Please! pack I had no interest in, but bought. Even though it was 75p. The FEAR collection. Zero interest in FEAR, yet I bought it because it was on sale. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic I bought on a whim, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER was only a fleeting interest and the two STALKER games because people on here said it was good, but only in relation to this sale would I have bought it.

I'm not saying anything new, but it's interesting to consider. It soon becomes abundantly clear how retail only succeeds due to Christmas and loses money the rest of the year. I say all of this not to make you buy glorious games, but as a poignant note. And because I don't want to wake up to go the dentists tomorrow.

icupnimpn2
08-07-2011, 02:47 AM
It's very easy to see any game appealing when it has a significant slash, suggesting you're getting great value, but the truth is unless you actually wanted it, you get no 'value', no savings, out of it.

I get GREAT value out of these sales. I flirt with a lot of games but love very few. The only way I can justify buying them at all, knowing I may sink only a couple of hours into each, is if I can pick up a whole bunch for the normal price of one or two. Where one person might be content to buy a game for $20 that they play for 10 hours, I want to buy five games for the same price to play for 2 hours each. And I find that almost any game in existence is good enough to fill that 2 hour mark. Even really bad games can fascinate for about that long. So I'm nearly never disappointed with a purchase.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 02:57 AM
It really depends if you actually seek to complete your games. Personally, I'm not satisfied as having got my value unless I complete a game. Completion being relative to "main story complete" in open world games or "I have seen the credit sequence". As it goes, I've just started another run through of Mass Effect 2. I'm playing Minecraft regularly. I'm running through Super Meat Boy, a game I've already completed on another system (although I wanted it on PC for the level editor). I had Dirt 3 as well, but Gymkhana really put me off that game, even though I can usually successfully complete the events. The game just isn't quite as fun as Dirt 1, which is a bit of a shame. It's just curious that a lot of games I had no interest in, I'm suddenly asking "Should I buy this?" or "Sell this to me." It's the same for many others.

As it goes, I tend to want to invest into longer games, especially at retail price. The most recent game I Was disappointed in regarding price to length was Portal 2 which I got on the 360 (I know, I'm a heathen. My friends had it though so that's where I went, for co-op). Obviously a lot of games are going this way, but many also have multiplayer which you can sink your time into. Of course this is going off tangent.

The way I determine game value is £1 is worth 1 hour gameplay, with a few exceptions if the game is blindingly good fun to play. I know others compare it to the price of a film ticket, or whatever. We all have our different measures. Interesting to see how they all merge over a sale like this! The short of it is, I like looking at statistics because I'm that type of person, so these things interest me. There are lots of things I'd like to see, but obviously they're not released.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 03:02 AM
I always wondered why people buy so much stuff on Steam...
I prefer to buy retail copies of my games and order them from various online stores. I save a lot of money by doing so, as the Steam prices are often way too high and often when there are games on sale that are not reduced by 60% or more, you will still find a cheaper offer in an online store that sells the retail version.

I bought Portal 2 from Amazon for example, for less than it's now on Steam. I did the same with Fable 3 and various other games.
The only games I purchase from Steam are indie games or games that are reduced very strong.
Just keep browsing for good offers on the internet, maybe even abroad. I am from Germany and I am fascinated by the low prices many of UK's online warehouses have. It's cheaper for me to order games from amazon.co.uk and pay the shipping fee than buying them at a local games store here in Berlin.

Consider all those things when buying new games people, it can save you a lot of money.

Mcmicker
08-07-2011, 03:08 AM
It's very easy to see any game appealing when it has a significant slash, suggesting you're getting great value, but the truth is unless you actually wanted it, you get no 'value', no savings, out of it.

Value does not equal savings. In the case of games on Steam or drinks in the supermarket, the value is derived from the enjoyment or utility you get out of it versus what you paid for it. It's not about how much you spent that you weren't planning on spending, it's about whether the couple dollars you spent provided a sufficiently valuable experience for you.

Personally I tend to research and think about even my impulse Steam purchases, so there are only one or two games I've gotten in Steam sales that haven't been worth it to me. (Curse you, Borderlands!)

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 03:15 AM
I don't deny that, however people are talking about making great savings on games whilst simultaneously buying games they had no interest on simply because they were on sale. I'm talking from a purely saving perspective. Like I've said elsewhere, I think in this thread although I can't remember now, if you actually play the games and keep your backlog ever diminishing instead of ever increasing, all the credit to you and you're certainly making great use of that value, but my target is more on the people buying for the sake of a sale. I've done it myself. It's more an interesting thing of note, I guess.

I do the same though. Even if I had no interest in it previously, I will ask around for opinions and ultimately, if not, it can wait till the next sale.

icupnimpn2
08-07-2011, 08:18 AM
if you actually play the games and keep your backlog ever diminishing instead of ever increasing, all the credit to you and you're certainly making great use of that value,

See, that's another thing about value. I place some value on the novelty of the new release, on playing games that are buzzworthy at the moment. I let myself get caught up in the zeitgeist, if you will. Looking in this dimension, games in my back catalog are depreciating in value over time. Focusing on back catalog means that I am losing value from newer games yet unplayed, games that may have their maximum value at the moment because it's actually possible to find someone to play with, or because peepoos commenting on websites are starting to spoil everything.

xhodgk
08-07-2011, 08:58 AM
In just 2 minutes, I searched Amazon, Play, HMV and GAME. Of the 4, one was higher than this. The cheapest was £15. I can appreciate 'not having another case on the shelf', but I don't see that as a palpable reason in choosing to not save £5. It is quicker to install the game from disc over having to download it, which is subject to multiple things that can and indeed will slow it down, as anyone who's tried to download anything from Steam lately will have noticed

Well I am not sure which demographic I fit in, but I would still probably purchase from Steam given the £5 saving. Call it lazy or convenience tax, but I like the fact I can right-click, install and the game will be waiting for me when I get in from work (I have had great success in switching my download location away from the UK during this sale) If I was a student again, I wouldn't be paying such a tax.

I don't kid myself that the Steam Sales saves me anything at all - I certainly wouldn't have 200+ games in my library - but as somebody else pointed out, I do believe on the whole I get great value. Sure I could get better value with some simple legwork, waiting around for the postman, using other digital providers, waiting another year before buying - but I am happy with what Steam has done for me and my gaming... and more than anything I am a creature of habit.

Jams O'Donnell
08-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Because I'm a cheapskate, I'm going to try to bypass the kindness club for fun and profit:

Does anyone want my second copy of Frozen Synapse in exchange for a copy of Sanctum? Gift exchange ahoy! PM me if interested.

cowthief skank
08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Well I am not sure which demographic I fit in, but I would still probably purchase from Steam given the £5 saving. Call it lazy or convenience tax, but I like the fact I can right-click, install and the game will be waiting for me when I get in from work (I have had great success in switching my download location away from the UK during this sale) If I was a student again, I wouldn't be paying such a tax.

I don't kid myself that the Steam Sales saves me anything at all - I certainly wouldn't have 200+ games in my library - but as somebody else pointed out, I do believe on the whole I get great value. Sure I could get better value with some simple legwork, waiting around for the postman, using other digital providers, waiting another year before buying - but I am happy with what Steam has done for me and my gaming... and more than anything I am a creature of habit.

Similar story for me really. £5 is probably pushing the upper limit of what I would consider reasonable for the convenience. But even now, with the servers almost overloaded, except certain times of the day I average about 1.4MB/s, which is pretty much the highest my connection can manage. So even the largest of games will take a few hours only.

I could buy a game from Amazon or elsewhere for £5 cheaper (assuming free delivery), then wait for it to arrive next day, or the day after depending on what time I order it, and maybe it will not arrive til 11am (or later). Or I could buy from Steam and have it in an hour or two. That is a lot of added convenience.

Not to mention filling up my flat with useless boxes. To me, not having a box is added value. Boxes are useless and pointless and I put them all away in a cupboard, but the cupbord is filling up. Blasphemy to some, I am sure.

Ian
08-07-2011, 10:13 AM
What sort of state is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in once you mod it, these days?

BenWah
08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
It's in a fantastic state with the wesp patch 7.5 here:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

moth bones
08-07-2011, 10:58 AM
How can I get this new mission for Fate Of The World, can anyone tell me? Searched for it on Steam but can't find owt.

Ah, OK, I've found this ticket business. Hmmm. Managed to earn one a couple of days ago without knowing anything about it, but still need two. Hmmmmm.

Squiz
08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I guess it is true that I spend money on Steam games during sales that I wouldn't buy otherwise. That is okay for me as long as the price (read: not necessarily the percentage of savings) is low enough and as long as I have enough time on my hands to play them (through) in the near future.

The former reason is especially important to me since it is Steam we are talking about. I try to cut back the amount of purchases I do there to a minimum since I started thinking about DRM, the intrusiveness of the required software (may it be because it is bloatware, collects personal data or could make the content "bought" on a given platform inaccessible when the servers go down) and how much it could be bothering me in the future. I don't want to invest too much into a service whose development I can't predict.

The latter reason is in part deduced from the first one. If I don't have the time to play the game in the near future, I might even end up wasting money if the game in question goes on sale at a later point in time for an even better price.

Finally, I try to factor in how likely it is that I will replay a given game, especially in single player. For me, games like Mass Effect 1&2 are one-time playthroughs (I know that other people might argue that I am a moron for that). I probably won't invest more time into those games after I have experienced the main part of the story. I used to be a 100% completionist in the past, but since my time budget has been reduced considerably that has changed. Team Fortress 2 on the other hand, I will probably play until the servers go down (never?). But since the very point of the game is to have an online platform via which I can connect to other players, I don't really care about that aspect in this case.

tl;dr: I try (!) to only buy really really cheap stuff from Steam. I don't like the idea that there is a chance I might not be able to play my games in the future or having to play them under conditions I can't predict. One-shot games are okay, since I won't be touching them in the future anyways.

MondSemmel
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
The way I determine game value is £1 is worth 1 hour gameplay, with a few exceptions if the game is blindingly good fun to play.

You have said a few things I very much agree with, especially with games in your backlog not really being of any value unless you actually find the time to play them.

However, the above statement is absolutely, ludicrously insane. It ignores everything about a game's quality and makes bad design decisions (e.g. lack of checkpoints/difficulty spikes/etc.) actually make games more "valuable", using your metric.

Plus, and this is very important during this sale, if you measure your backlog of games in hours of gameplay, long games of less-than-above-average quality increase your backlog by a lot while keeping you from actually playing the best games in it.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
However, the above statement is absolutely, ludicrously insane. It ignores everything about a game's quality and makes bad design decisions (e.g. lack of checkpoints/difficulty spikes/etc.) actually make games more "valuable", using your metric.

I suppose clarity probably wouldn't have gone a miss. If you pay £30-40/£25-30 for a new console/PC game I acknowledge that being a rather large sum of pence. From that, I want consistently good gameplay for a long time so that I won't need to be buying another full priced game for the same time. Obviously PC games are inherently cheaper, but with a standard RRP, I expect that I will have at least 25 hours of consistent fun with it. If not, it is not a good game in my books. If it meets that, it is a good game average in my collection. If I play for longer, or if in that time or less the game is just overwhelmingly fun, price eventually does not matter to me. Hence why I used Portal 2 above - I paid £32 for it on the 360. I got about 10 hours out of it, but I didn't find it consistently enjoyable. In my mind, I paid too much for it. Similarly Red Read Redemption which started to sag in enjoyment. I would recommend it to people only getting it at £20 or less.

I detest bad or lack of checkpoints, uncalled for difficulty spikes, unskippable cutscenes and pointless back-and
-fros and that for me makes a bad game that naturally dampens gameplay. I think there is some logic in the insanity that if you pay a lot for a game, you expect a lot out of it (like you would anything in life, I suppose). Like I said, everyone has some metric to which they measure a part of the enjoyment. After completing Halo: Reach's campaign, despite paying £35, I'd have been happy there and then with the 10 or so hour campaign. It was just that fun for me.

Perhaps I'm just too used to buying games with a heck of replayability, great online MP or are simply consistently great with length, combined with doing thorough research before buying a game, that I tend not to have the problem of finding 'value' in what I get.

The simple fact is, there are too many games to be hung up on ones you dislike. I tried Aquaria recently (or more like finally, having got it in the Humble Bundle) and after an hour didn't like it. I'm happy to not enjoy that considering I've yet to try out other games from it and it was all for a good cause, but I'm not going to carry on attempting to enjoy a game to try and squeeze out goodness. I'm of the philosophy, for better or worse, that be it a book, film, game, whatever, if it doesn't get you from the get-go, why should you have to sit-it out to get good?

Phew. Ahwell, nice to get a discussion going on this one.

Creeping Death
08-07-2011, 11:58 AM
How can I get this new mission for Fate Of The World, can anyone tell me? Searched for it on Steam but can't find owt.

Ah, OK, I've found this ticket business. Hmmm. Managed to earn one a couple of days ago without knowing anything about it, but still need two. Hmmmmm.

You can still earn previous days achievements so have a look through them. There are quite a few easy ones such as download a demo, or comment on a friends profile etc.

cowthief skank
08-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Download a trailer from a game's store page, and view it through the Library. Doing this gave me a ticket both for downloading a trailer, and also for downloading a demo, so this should get you up to three tickets.

piggydiggy
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do people think that the last day of the sale will have the most popular deals from other days revisited, as has happened in the past. Sadly I missed the Borderlands GOTY on the first day :/

Malawi Frontier Guard
08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
It's very likely.

moth bones
08-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Bless you, Creeping Death and cowthief skank!

moth bones
08-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Oof! Audiosurf may be the greatest casual post-your-high-scores-on-the-net game I've seen! If you haven't got it, lay down that 89 pence now.

ComradePenguin
08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Has anyone tried Audiosurf on a netbook? Considering gifting it to a friend but that is all he has to game on at the minute.

ColOfNature
08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, my ancient Linux laptop could handle Audiosurf no problem using Wine - with the shinies turned down, of course - and that tends to add pretty hefty overheads to a game. A netbook should be able to handle it fairly comfortably as long as you don't mind the graphics being a bit low-fi.

Ian
08-07-2011, 02:29 PM
It's in a fantastic state with the wesp patch 7.5 here:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

Cool. Might buy it. :)

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 02:37 PM
So what's today's sneakpeek?

I like the look of that Bloodlines patch. I think it's another sell in the evergrowing when-the-hell-do-i-have-time-for-that list.

*sighs*

ComradePenguin
08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, my ancient Linux laptop could handle Audiosurf no problem using Wine - with the shinies turned down, of course - and that tends to add pretty hefty overheads to a game. A netbook should be able to handle it fairly comfortably as long as you don't mind the graphics being a bit low-fi.

Living with a netbook I'm sure he's more than used to lo-fi. Thanks for the tip.

8-bit
08-07-2011, 02:44 PM
said it before and will say it again, bloodlines is still cheaper on D2D.

sanctum is probably the game I was looking for during the sale and its come at a price that I can buy it for but is it true that it only has three maps? even at that price if there are only three maps I might have to reconsider, after all something like defence grid has loads of maps and challenge modes to help the replay value.

Similar
08-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Is Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor any good for SP? I seem to remember the praise wasn't overflowing when it was released and the campaign seems to only have nine missions, so I'm not sure whether to get it. It's cheap, but I don't have much money in my Paypal account and it's too late to transfer more (I'd first get them after the summer sale is over), so I wonder if I should save the money in case something more interesting comes up over the next days.

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 02:52 PM
For those of you ignoring the normal bargain thread during the Steam sale, Direct2Drive has the Kohan Warchest on sale for $8 (http://www.direct2drive.com/10711/product/Buy-Kohan-Warchest-Download). Kohan was a real-time strategy series from early in the decade (2001-2004) developed by TimeGate studioes (who now make the Section 8 games). Like Section 8, a bland wrapper (in Kohan's case, high fantasy) covers a core of fantastic, thoughtful mechanics. If you like classic build and conquer games, but don't like micromanagement, these games are well worth checking out.

Creeping Death
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Is Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor any good for SP? I seem to remember the praise wasn't overflowing when it was released and the campaign seems to only have nine missions, so I'm not sure whether to get it. It's cheap, but I don't have much money in my Paypal account and it's too late to transfer more (I'd first get them after the summer sale is over), so I wonder if I should save the money in case something more interesting comes up over the next days.

If you have severely limited funds and there is something else you are hoping goes on sale I would say skip Tales of Valor. It's an interesting sp campaign, but not as fun as the base game or the first expansion. Besides, chances are it'll reappear again on sunday if Steam does a "best of sale" day as usual

AndrewC
08-07-2011, 03:09 PM
sanctum is probably the game I was looking for during the sale and its come at a price that I can buy it for but is it true that it only has three maps? even at that price if there are only three maps I might have to reconsider, after all something like defence grid has loads of maps and challenge modes to help the replay value.

If you are hum-ing and ha-ing over a £2.50 game, you really shouldn't buy it.

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
For those of you ignoring the normal bargain thread during the Steam sale, Direct2Drive has the Kohan Warchest on sale for $8 (http://www.direct2drive.com/10711/product/Buy-Kohan-Warchest-Download). Kohan was a real-time strategy series from early in the decade (2001-2004) developed by TimeGate studioes (who now make the Section 8 games). Like Section 8, a bland wrapper (in Kohan's case, high fantasy) covers a core of fantastic, thoughtful mechanics. If you like classic build and conquer games, but don't like micromanagement, these games are well worth checking out.

Dear sweet Gods, Kohan is a brilliant game that anyone who thinks *Craft-games are the pinnacle of RTS should play.

I remain deeply saddened at the obscurity of Kohan 1 and 2.

8-bit
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
If you are hum-ing and ha-ing over a £2.50 game, you really shouldn't buy it.

its a £2.50 game, but I have a budget of £12.54 and £4.25 of that is saved for Eschalon book 2. this is a game I was looking for in the sale but with three days of the sale left and a limited amount to spend I have to think about what the best games are to invest in.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
From the rumblings I've heard, there's going to be a 4th map 'soon'.

Similar
08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
If you have severely limited funds and there is something else you are hoping goes on sale I would say skip Tales of Valor. It's an interesting sp campaign, but not as fun as the base game or the first expansion. Besides, chances are it'll reappear again on sunday if Steam does a "best of sale" day as usual
I think I'll wait then. Thank you.

moth bones
08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Any opinions on 1701 AD? the screenshots are quite attractive.

vinraith
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Any opinions on 1701 AD? the screenshots are quite attractive.

Lovely city building game, but there's a compelling argument that 1404 AD supplants it. I know that I, at least, haven't gone back since I got the newer one.

ArtVandelay
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
From the rumblings I've heard, there's going to be a 4th map 'soon'.

The fourth map is out as well as a fifth endless mode only map and 4 player coop.

deano2099
08-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Dear sweet Gods, Kohan is a brilliant game that anyone who thinks *Craft-games are the pinnacle of RTS should play.

I remain deeply saddened at the obscurity of Kohan 1 and 2.
That sounds fun and I quite want a new RTS, but do any of them support bigger resolutions? Some older RTS games scale up really well, and others just don't, and I really can't get in to stuff that won't run at 1280x1024 at least now (and preferably widescreen 1920x1080). Spoiled I know but that's become the one place I can draw a line under my 'to play' list so it's not ridiculous...

vinraith
08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Am I correct in recalling that the single player in the Kohan games is just linear, story-driven campaigns?

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Am I correct in recalling that the single player in the Kohan games is just linear, story-driven campaigns?

Can't remember the resolution - I can actually check at home, eventually.

The expansion to Kohan 1 offered 5 linear campaigns (but you level your leaders). Kohan 2 had a large campaign.

However, it also has (really good) random map generation for skirmish maps that are a blast to play.

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
That sounds fun and I quite want a new RTS, but do any of them support bigger resolutions? Some older RTS games scale up really well, and others just don't, and I really can't get in to stuff that won't run at 1280x1024 at least now (and preferably widescreen 1920x1080). Spoiled I know but that's become the one place I can draw a line under my 'to play' list so it's not ridiculous...

Kohan 2: Kings of War is in 3D and the resolution goes up to at least 1680x1050 (the native resolution of my monitor). I wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher. Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and the expansion are 2D, and have a locked in resolution of 1024 x 768. I think it looks quite good, but there you go.

Check out a few reviews to get a sense what these games are about. Kohan is an antecedent to Rise of Nations in many ways, and is a slower-paced game that puts the emphasis on decisions and preparation over control in battle. In fact, you cannot control your units in a fight other than to tell them to retreat or rout.

All the games have demos as well.

And this is part of a daily sale, so Direct2Drive will roll them over around the same time as Steam. I'd say $5 (for Kohan 2) is a modest gamble for a great game that may or may not click with you.

Both the Kohan games have random map generators with decent AI. You can also set various scenario parameters.

vinraith
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
However, it also has (really good) random map generation for skirmish maps that are a blast to play.

Sorry, is "it" in that sentence Kohan 2, or all of them?

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Sorry, is "it" in that sentence Kohan 2, or all of them?

All of them.

Also just noticed how freakishly high the view count of this thread is.

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Both. Sorry for the disambiguation.

8-bit
08-07-2011, 05:24 PM
The fourth map is out as well as a fifth endless mode only map and 4 player coop.

and thats all I needed to know, thanks. think I will buy it then.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Any guesses on what today's daily deals will be?

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm hoping Darkensang. Maybe Delve Deeper, as it has a prize in the booth. Hmm... Hitman? We haven't had a Hitman sale yet. Blur? Oh, who the eff knows.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Dirt 3, Mass Effect/2 and Splinter Cell so far. Fallout 3 by the looks of things. And Amnesia!!

Today is gonna be a big day for people. Damn.

Okay, OP update incoming, but remember: this will be the penultimate day of new sales. You have been warned!

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
OK, I'll get the new Worms.

OR WILL I?!

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Got it on Xbox, it's fun.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah, Worms: Reloaded is for all intended purposes Worms 2: Armageddon of PSN/XBLA fame. It's a fantastic game.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh hell...
Was about to finally buy Fallout 3 and then noticed that Steam only sells the German version. That means no gore at all and only the crappy, German voices. I hate you, Germany!

Edit:
Hmm... Is the new Splinter Cell worth the money? I remember playing it at a friend's and I had lots of fun...

Tikey
08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Edit:
Hmm... Is the new Splinter Cell worth the money? I remember playing it at a friend's and I had lots of fun...

The single player isn't worth it.
I haven't played multi maybe that's a reedeming part.

TillEulenspiegel
08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I know...I'm getting a US friend to buy it for me. Check out the data smuggling thread for help.

What I really don't understand is how Amazon.de can sell uncut, non-USK-rated videogames, but Steam can't or won't. German laws are terribly confusing.

Faldrath
08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
So... that Universe Sandbox thing. Anyone played it? Opinions?

dsdan
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Okay, OP update incoming, but remember: this will be the penultimate day of new sales. You have been warned!

That's interesting, the sale says it ends on the 10th, but the challenge list claims that a new challenge will be posted on the 10th (presumably active through the 11th). I wonder how that will work.

dsdan
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
The single player isn't worth it.

For $9 it is, in my opinion. The problem for many is that it's not like the previous stealth-based Splinter Cell games, it's more of a sleek cover-based shooter. It's similar to Quantum of Solace and 007: Bloodstone, if you've played those.

ColOfNature
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
It's similar to Quantum of Solace and 007: Bloodstone, if you've played those.

Not comparisons likely to sell a game...

So which Splinter Cells are worth my pennies, then?

vinraith
08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
That's interesting, the sale says it ends on the 10th, but the challenge list claims that a new challenge will be posted on the 10th (presumably active through the 11th). I wonder how that will work.

The way it's always worked. For Steam sales, "days" are the period from 1 pm EDT one day to 1 pm EDT on the next day. The sale will consequently be active until 1 pm EDT on Monday, the 11th, with the last day of discounts posted Sunday, the 10th at 1 pm EDT.

However, traditionally that last sales update is a "best of" from previous daily sales, so JG is correct that today's update is the penultimate update that actually contains new sales.

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Worms and Amnesia it is, an ultimate combination that totally makes sense to me.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Maybe they'll give an extra day to get the tickets? A few brief opinions:

Worms Reloaded - Being essentially a cleaned up port of Worms 2: Armageddon, I can heartily recommend it as a blissful strategy game with a fantastic character that is charming to play. Good campaign. Best played with/against other people for maximum hilarity. Having local MP is great.

DiRT 3 is a great game, but it lacks raw rallying events, although having numerous others. It feels great to play and it has all the trimmings, but it maybe lacks a certain oomph. It has annoying as hell commentators who you will want to harm, repeatedly, but they're largely ignorable. They've added a free style event called 'Gymkhana' which I find annoying and unfun. I don't know what my rally game is doing with a free style event in, but hey. I preferred DiRT 1, for what it's worth.

Mass Effect is a fantastic TPSRPG hybrid set in a well visualised universe. Great for replayability. 1 has a better story, but weaker gameplay, whilst 2 is stream-lined, for better or worse. It plays better, but the story is not as grand, although characters are great. If you choose not to get 1, which I suggest you do, at least grab an end game save state.

I would appreciate views on Red Faction at that price, please!

Tikey
08-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Not comparisons likely to sell a game...

The consensus (and I agree) is that Chaos Theory is the best one.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Universe Sandbox: I gifted it to my science teacher on his birthday and he says he enjoys it. Guess hearing that from someone who actually got knowledge on this topic is a pro argument.

As for Splinter Cell: Does Chaos Theory have a MP?

DarkNoghri
08-07-2011, 06:40 PM

I believe so. My recollection says that it was also the one with the cool asymmetrical spies vs. mercs gametype.

Having not really played it, don't quote me on that though.

dsdan
08-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Chaos Theory is usually thought of as the best in the series. It's certainly my favorite.

dsdan
08-07-2011, 06:43 PM
However, traditionally that last sales update is a "best of" from previous daily sales, so JG is correct that today's update is the penultimate update that actually contains new sales.

Ah, ok, that would certainly be nice. I regret not getting Witcher 2 the first day, so I hope it comes up again.

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
RE: The Splinter Cells

A) Chaos theory has multiplayer.
B) Conviction is way way way underrated. It's fluid, visceral, and relies on physically hiding (behind objects, on pipes, etc) rather than crouching in the dark. It's definitely not a pure stealth game but if you like action games at all it's one of the best.

Tikey
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes, and a pretty good one.
It has, as someone already said, a very good asymmetrical competitive mode and a very good two player cooperative campaign.

SirKicksalot
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
So... that Universe Sandbox thing. Anyone played it? Opinions?

It's great for wasting time. I found it exciting to create solar systems and watch them evolve over time. Or shooting rogue stars or whatever. The physics aren't accurate, but they're good enough.

PeteC
08-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Time for me to finally grab Amnesia. I would've got Napoleon Total war but it's more expensive than getting the whole Empire pack which i have (but never played)

I'm strangely considering the Universe Sandbox thingy too.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
There is a demo for Universe Sandbox on their official site, here (http://universesandbox.com/download/). You get a basic unlimited run-time, with a 60 minute premium demo of the full thing.

sacred_flame
08-07-2011, 07:01 PM

I have been enjoying it so far., i am about 50-60 % through the campaign. if you felt guerrilla was lacking direction then i recommend it ,but if you want a open destruction game stay clear of it. The story isn't too bad and the game is occasionally humorous , and mixes up the destruction with some repairing which is a nice touch. it seems to be a decent port i haven't run into any problems yet.

icupnimpn2
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Divinity 2: DKS is a blast. I hesitate to recommend at $20 because it suffers from performance issues. Otherwise, it has fantastic music, an epic feel, humorous dialogue and characters, interesting branching quests, and some gorgeous sets. I won it from an RPS forum contest and am quite enamored of it. $20 worth of gameplay? Yes... I think I'd pay that much if it ran better. Maybe you'll have better luck with your machine, but there is quite bad frame stuttering because of poor multi-core code. Run in single core and that goes away, but then FPS drop.

I love how mind-reading makes you spend XP as a currency. You tell yourself it's stupid and you're gonna stop, but then you do it anyway cuz you want to hear the character's inner monologue (and sometimes it reveals quests or hidden items).

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I got a bit bored of the open world near the end of Guerilla and pretty much rushed through the story missions to complete the game, feeling I'd had enough. I did enjoy it though. The lack of complete open destruction is disappointing, but I knew that going into the game. I am heavily interested, just didn't expect it to be this priced for so long. Thank you for that. More opinions on RF: Armageddon welcome!

Similar
08-07-2011, 07:18 PM
It kept me interested enough to play through the campaign twice in a row; smashing things in new and exciting ways is fun and the magnet gun and repair thingy are great. The Armageddon weapons generally feel much better than in Guerrilla too and so are the controls. It is linear, though, so if you've played RF Guerrilla, it's a bit disappointing and, of course, as with the other RF games, the plot is told in a way that is excellent at not making you care about it (Armageddon is slightly better than the others that way, but it does have some way to go yet).
I've gone back to Guerrilla several times, but I have a feeling I won't do that with Armageddon; there's nothing wrong with it, but it feels like I've seen what there is to see.

So, basically, a nice game, but ... I wouldn't pay 33.50 Euro for it (then again, I do have very little money).

sacred_flame
08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
i Would like some opinions on dirt 3. It looks enjoyable but is the single player campaign of a good length, being more than 10 hours? for reference i am enjoying dirt 1 and its varied modes.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for that Similar. Perhaps I'll wait on Armageddon till later on in the year. Hopefully Dead Space 2 will go on sale and that can be my TPS of choice.

Depending on the difficulty settings and how much of a perfectionist you are, I can easily see DiRT 3's campaign lasting 10 hours, but I've lost enthuthiasm for it, unfortunately. There's also the Time Attack modes, which with a global leaderbaord should take up some time. Not to mention free roam Gymkhana, the free style event, but personally - screw that. Although I never completed 1's campaign, I thought it was well paced and had a great variety of modes. Of the experiences in playing both, I preferred 1. 3 is not bad. It's...just not amazing.

mpk
08-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Is Fallout 3 worth £7?

Icarus
08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
On the fence about Fallout 3. Leaning towards 'no' based on my feelings about Oblivion, but I'm prepared to be swayed.

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Is Fallout 3 worth £7?

Close your eyes and imagine you're prowling across a blasted wasteland where almost everything is trying to kill you and the things that aren't are twisted and tragic, but also kind of... funny.

If that sounds good, go for it.

If you really didn't like oblivion, this is similar, although the enemy leveling is handled better.

mpk
08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
For that amount of money it doesn't need to be brilliant, but I just re-read Alec Meer's IGN review, so I'd settle for having the bugs he mentioned being ironed out. I enjoyed what I play of Oblivion but I did lose interest relatively quickly (relative to Morrowind, that is).

Giaddon
08-07-2011, 07:41 PM
For that amount of money it doesn't need to be brilliant, but I just re-read Alec Meer's IGN review, so I'd settle for having the bugs he mentioned being ironed out. I enjoyed what I play of Oblivion but I did lose interest relatively quickly (relative to Morrowind, that is).

I'd pick it up, then. As actiony and RPGy and explory as it is, FO3 is actually pretty damn unique, I thought. Do know that most of the gameplay consists of shooting things. They do a good job with the context and mechanics of it, however.

Thinking about it now is inspiring a replay, which is bad since my backlog has grown like a dozen games this past week.

imirk
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM

There are also lots of mods that "fix" various things about the game, add weapons, enemies, etc.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
God, I loved modding Fallout 3. Always modded new places, enemies, guns etc. into it.
There are quite a few total conversions which make the game even better.
You should definitely try it. I would buy it, if it wasn't for the screwn up German version, as I unfortunately can't get my old Fallout 3 DVD to be accepted by my DVD drive.

Vandelay
08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Any mod recommendations for a first play of Fallout 3 or should you be good to go with the base game?

Also, as someone who thought Mafia 2 was good in parts, although lacking in game for the majority, and a hit and miss story, would anyone recommend any of the DLCs? Thinking more of Joe's Adventure and Jimmy's Vendetta, rather than the item ones.

Still hoping this sale will have X3, Anno 1404 and Blood Money (which would actually be a re-buy, but I recall the cd crack not working on my disc copy.) Not much time left for those.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I bought the DLCs for Mafia 2 and I can tell you: Don't buy them. You only get a new character and it's basically the Free Roam mode that wasn't implemented in the main game. The missions you get aren't worth to be mentioned, as they are boring and there is no story whatsoever...

I would recommend to buy Mafia 1, though. It's still a great game and you can't do anything wrong at that price!

Edit:

Also... Can't decide wether to buy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or Poker Night at the Inventory. Splinter Cell would be more of a game, but I'm also a fanatic for TF2 items and I enjoy poker... Damn!

Led Zeppelin
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I bought The last Remnant for 7,5 euros, pretty good deal,now all i want is Vampire The Masquarade 75% off

Anthile
08-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I bought The last Remnant for 7,5 euros, pretty good deal,now all i want is Vampire The Masquarade 75% off

How strange, that one doesn't appear on the Daily Deal list, but it's there.

Vandelay
08-07-2011, 08:34 PM
To return the favour of steering me away from Mafia 2 DLC, Poker Night wasn't that great. Also, the items are only cosmetic ones, so aren't that exciting (as well as being frustrating to get a hold of.)

I also agree that anyone who hasn't played Mafia 1 should buy it. I would probably also recommend Mafia 2 for that price. It certainly isn't anywhere near as good as the first, but I have to give it some respect for the things it wants to do, even if it isn't entirely successful.

PeteC
08-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Any mod recommendations for a first play of Fallout 3 or should you be good to go with the base game?

Also, as someone who thought Mafia 2 was good in parts, although lacking in game for the majority, and a hit and miss story, would anyone recommend any of the DLCs? Thinking more of Joe's Adventure and Jimmy's Vendetta, rather than the item ones.

Still hoping this sale will have X3, Anno 1404 and Blood Money (which would actually be a re-buy, but I recall the cd crack not working on my disc copy.) Not much time left for those.

Unfortuately, Anno 1404 got pulled from Steam a while back for some reason. I've been playing it this last month myself but had to get it from D2D. It was about £12 including the Venice expansion. Still worth it at that price though I reckon.

Oak
08-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Ubisoft, apparently, wouldn't patch it up to the latest version. If you're willing to pay full price (it's pretty low now), Impulse's version is up to date.

dsdan
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I bought The last Remnant for 7,5 euros

Is it good? I saw it on the Daily Deals and was tempted, but saw the Metacritic score and hesistated.

Xercies
08-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Fallout 3 for me is a lot closer to how i felt about Morrowind then i did Oblivion, really great atmosphere to it, I just loved just exploring around listening to the radio and doing random quests and sometimes doing the main quest. I would say the best thing about it is the kind of survival element, try to be as low powered as possible because it makes you feel like you are one step away from death which gives you even more atmosphere to the game. Once you become higher level and start having loads of stimpacks it stops being interesting but until then its an awesome game.

dsdan
08-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I bought the DLCs for Mafia 2 and I can tell you: Don't buy them.
I second this. Though Joe's Adventure might be fun if you really really loved the original game.

Can't decide wether to buy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or Poker Night at the Inventory.
Chaos Theory is one of the best games of its genre. If you like stealth, you should pick it up.

SilverSilence
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Looks like PoP/X/Hitman franchise sales tomorrow

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901718/header_292x136.jpg
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901719/header_292x136.jpg
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901720/header_292x136.jpg

Jams O'Donnell
08-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Is it good? I saw it on the Daily Deals and was tempted, but saw the Metacritic score and hesistated.
It's pretty good. If you're a JRPG fan you should totally check it out. Don't be put off by its mediocre XBox 360 reviews -- it was punished for technical issues that are fixed in the PC version.

field_studies
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Fallout 3 for me is a lot closer to how i felt about Morrowind then i did Oblivion.

Following with the comparison model, how does Fallout 3 compare with New Vegas, in the respects you've already mentioned?
I already bought NV earlier this week, so I suppose my question is whether FO3 is unique enough (or better?) to warrant trying it too.

BTW, I did read the Wot I Think about FO:NV; but that was quite a while ago, and I'm kind of curious how these two FOs have fared in people's memories.

Vandelay
08-07-2011, 09:50 PM

That is going to be a good day!

Sad to hear that Anno 1404 is not on Steam any more. Oh well, sure I'll get it elsewhere sometime.

Malawi Frontier Guard
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
The Last Remnant: I liked it a lot. It's very unusual for a JRPG, and it's very much related to the SaGa series of games, so your units learn skills randomly during battle and half the systems are completely undocumented and make no sense. I liked that!

Plays best with a controller (but it's not a shoddy port or anything like that). The PC version is far superior to the 360 version. The voice acting can get annoying, but if you switch to Japanese at least you don't have to understand what they are saying (unless you speak Japanese).

I never finished it. Didn't even get to that plot twist people talked about. It's a long game. Can get a bit grindy if you're not careful, but you can ramp up the difficulty by taking on multiple groups of enemies at once for bigger rewards.

imirk
08-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Fallout 3 for me is a lot closer to how i felt about Morrowind then i did Oblivion, really great atmosphere to it, I just loved just exploring around listening to the radio and doing random quests and sometimes doing the main quest. I would say the best thing about it is the kind of survival element, try to be as low powered as possible because it makes you feel like you are one step away from death which gives you even more atmosphere to the game. Once you become higher level and start having loads of stimpacks it stops being interesting but until then its an awesome game.

So bongo, bongo, bongo I don’t want to leave the congo
Oh no no no no no

vinraith
08-07-2011, 10:11 PM

You should try the game with Fallout Wanderer's Edition, it extends that survival feel for much, much longer.

ColOfNature
08-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Oh no no no no no

I was playing Fallout 3 again recently (I have every intention of completing it this time) and I installed the GNR More Where That Came From mod. The entire set of 100 tracks then got copied to my MP3 player. I am the Lone Wanderer. Dundee looks pretty post-apocalyptic at the best of times.

SilverSilence
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
dead space franchise sale tomorrow

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901721/header_292x136.jpg

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
SilverScience, you bring me news of a great nature. Thanks! Me be wanting Dead Space the Second.

Teddy Leach
08-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Working backwards through the banners, we're also getting Hitman, X, and Prince of Persia. All franchise sales.

Comrade Commissar
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Oh god, it's great. Loved playing through Dead Space 2. And the MP is decent, too.

Okay, what I actually wanted to ask: How likely is it that there will be a Day of Defeat: Source daily deal? I can't decide wether to wait for a DoD:S daily deal or to buy Splinter Cell from that money... I really want DoD because of the GMod models. :P

SilverSilence
08-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Working backwards through the banners, we're also getting Hitman, X, and Prince of Persia. All franchise sales.

Yep, on the previous page :P

thegooseking
08-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I think what's been so disappointing about this sale so far isn't that the sales haven't been good, but merely that most of the best sales have been on stuff I already own.

cowthief skank
08-07-2011, 11:00 PM
dead space franchise sale tomorrow

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/901721/header_292x136.jpg

I have never played Dead Space but found myself hoping they would be on sale - depending on the price I may end up picking both up. If they are both recommended?

SirKicksalot
08-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Dead Space is a better spiritual sequel to System Shock 2 than Bioshock.

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Dead Space is good because of the immersion factor. No HUD, everything is very built-in to the game environment. The 'scares' are by and large miss, enemies don't get too creative, merely more dark to represent more health before they die and other than on the harder difficulties, it's not too hard. There's a fair bit of back-tracking. That being said, it's a fun game to play for what will no doubt be a cheap price. The atmosphere is well done. It's not an amazing game, but it's certainly good. Personally, it's a shame more immediately Dead Space was seen as having more potential than Mirror's Edge for a quicker sequel, but hey ho. I haven't played 2, so can't tell you about that.

X series. How space simmy is it? Can I fly around and shoot dudes in my craft of shooting? How does it work?

Icarus
08-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I think what's been so disappointing about this sale so far isn't that the sales haven't been good, but merely that most of the best sales have been on stuff I already own.

Oh God, this, yes. There've been a few days I've thought 'oh, today's sale is a bit lackluster' because the four best games of the day are all ones I already have.

Broke 300 games on my Steam account thanks to this sale. Probably buy more tomorrow, unless you lot can convince me that the new Prince of Persia games (anything after Two Thrones) are all terrible.

Teddy Leach
08-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Yep, on the previous page :P

I lost track of how many pages there were after about the second day. But fair enough!

Xercies
09-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Oh no no no no no

Funnily enough i would love to get a soundtrack CD for that game because I loved the songs so much, I in fact had no idea they were actually "Real" songs. I know there is one already but it doesn't have all of them and its missing a few i really love.

You should try the game with Fallout Wanderer's Edition, it extends that survival feel for much, much longer.

Hmm I have been meaning to play it again and I did love that feel of it so I might just pop it back in if I get enough time(which given this sale is not very likely lol)

AJH
09-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Okay, so the basic driver behind the X series is the universe economy. It's incredibly simmy, and as a result complicated - in X2 for some godawful reason they decided to start you without a time compression device, so flying around space takes - real time - absolutely ages. X3 fixes this, but the main focus of the game is finding stations selling or manufacturing a resource, buying cheap, selling somewhere else high, and getting rich. This takes ages before you can be productive at it and generate loads of cash, as your starting ships can't carry all that much, are slow, and you physically have to travel from system to system freighting goods.

However, once you get rich you can buy space ships to auto-trade for you, programming in the trade routes, or even telling them to hunt for bargains. Then you can buy your own stations and have giant ships set them up in systems for you, and they start producing goods which you can sell on, or mix with other goods to make more expensive stuff... until you're amazingly loaded, and can by a large mothership with fighters and kitted out with an insane amount of stuff.

The alternative method of getting rich is fighting pirates but the combat mechanics aren't as good as Freelancer (kind needs a joystick but I used a 360 controller) and you don't make all that much from it. The combat is required for the story missions, and it works well enough. It's quite fun without being spectacular.

There is an overarching plot but it's not enormously well told, and it requires you to stop along the way to build up more cash and get better ships - which means trading. There are several different races and factions but to be honest that doesn't really alter much more than the design of the ships and the stations. There's no in-station stuff either - you dock up and interact via text menus.

There is some amazing stuff like remote-ordering ships you already own, automated traders working for you, etc., but it's not the sort of game where the main focus is flying around and shooting dudes. If you want that, then buy Freespace 2, it is absolutely stunning. If you've played it, and Freelancer, and TIE Fighter should scratch that itch. The X series is something else entirely.

Giaddon
09-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Broke 300 games on my Steam account thanks to this sale. Probably buy more tomorrow, unless you lot can convince me that the new Prince of Persia games (anything after Two Thrones) are all terrible.

Nope, they're great. They tend to be really cheap during sales, too.

Dead Space 1 I really liked, Dead Space 2 was mediocre. Replaced the freaky quiet atmosphere of the Ishimura with constant death explosions blood.

Mistabashi
09-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Funnily enough i would love to get a soundtrack CD for that game because I loved the songs so much, I in fact had no idea they were actually "Real" songs. I know there is one already but it doesn't have all of them and its missing a few i really love.

Download the mod "GNR - More Where That Came From": http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1418 (including all the track packs).

100 tracks in total, all of the same style & era, a lot of great tracks there and all of them are public domain now as far as I'm aware. There are indeed some timeless classics from that era, it's quite weird that Fallout has brought them to so many people's attention in the 90's / noughties (and beyond; New Vegas has a pretty good soundtrack too).

Just dig around inside the folders, from what I recall due to the rather stupid audio engine used by the game each track is stored three times, as mono and stereo MP3 and as mono .wav files.

Kelron
09-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Don't bother with any X game before Terran Conflict if you're new to the series. The interface is massively improved (still kind of pants, but not as bad as it was), it's much more accomodating to mouse control and the game is overall better paced and has more to do.

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 01:24 AM
If you want that, then buy Freespace 2, it is absolutely stunning. If you've played it, and Freelancer, and TIE Fighter should scratch that itch. The X series is something else entirely.

Thank you for that comprehensive run-down. It sounds cool, but it doesn't sound what I want. Still trying to get the Open Source Project to work with Freespace 2, so I'll stick to what I have at the mo.

More opinions on RF: Armageddon welcome! Although I certainly have enough games to get me on...

sopabuena
09-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I need some advice regarding Fallout 3. I'm on the fence about it, I really love the setting and atmopsphere and heard great things about it, but I usually hate RPGs. I couldn't stand Mass Effect 2, and I could never finish any RPG game, I just find the combat to be too tedius. The only RPG game I could complete was Anachronox because the story was worth it. I'm willing to give Fallout 3 a chance (without having played the previous games) because a heard that the combat is done right, what do you people think?

Giaddon
09-07-2011, 01:49 AM
The combat's worse than Mass Effect 2, which I thought was rather good, so...

That said, each individual encounter is over faster than in Mass Effect. It's not really tedious, but it is repetitive.

Dexter
09-07-2011, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't call either Mass Effect 2 or Fallout 3 "RPGs", they're shooters with RPG elements but the entire gameplay is based around shooting things in the head (or legs, or body) with guns.

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Haha, but shooting things in Fallout is waaaaaaay funnier than in Mass Effect. 9mm bullets can send a leg flying in Fallout. :D

And by the way, thank you for this awesome download Mistabashi! Love it!

Download the mod "GNR - More Where That Came From": http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1418 (including all the track packs).

100 tracks in total, all of the same style & era, a lot of great tracks there and all of them are public domain now as far as I'm aware. There are indeed some timeless classics from that era, it's quite weird that Fallout has brought them to so many people's attention in the 90's / noughties (and beyond; New Vegas has a pretty good soundtrack too).

Just dig around inside the folders, from what I recall due to the rather stupid audio engine used by the game each track is stored three times, as mono and stereo MP3 and as mono .wav files.

Is there a document where the names of the songs are stored? Because I'd love to know what I am listening to.

Vexing Vision
09-07-2011, 02:15 AM

I have the Last Remnant on Xbox.

Impressions:

a) The combat is a lot of fun.
b) The main character is one I'd love to kill all the time
c) KIDS. Fucking kids. I hate kids in my story.
d) The story isn't TOO bad.
e) Save points. Fucking save points.
f) The combat is a lot of fun.

wahwah
09-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Damn, I missed Sanctum yesterday. Anyone bought a 4-pack by chance and wants to get rid of a copy?

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Steam sale is probably over for me, thanks to the soundtrack Mistabashi linked to I started playing through Fallout 3 again. Won't need any new games for a while, because with the new playthrough come the new mods and probably another take on Mafia 2, as it has a great soundtrack, too.

8-bit
09-07-2011, 03:04 AM
The atmosphere is well done. It's not an amazing game, but it's certainly good. Personally, it's a shame more immediately Dead Space was seen as having more potential than Mirror's Edge for a quicker sequel, but hey ho. I haven't played 2, so can't tell you about that.

I have *spoilers* its not as good as the first *end spoilers*.

it has very repetitive environments, with none of the areas feeling as though they are connected or set in the same place as the others. the story is poor as it is, but it doesn't help when most of the audio is so mangled by 'creepy' sounds or loud explosions that I couldn't understand half of what was said. there are only one or two boss battles (it has to steal them from the first game), and I finished it about four hours quicker than the first.

at its core the game parts are still the same and it balances most of the weapons very well, so can easily be considered superior to the first in that department. but everything surrounding it, from the story to the level design, just isn't properly thought out. I heard good things about the multiplayer if that counts for anything.

ColOfNature
09-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Is there a document where the names of the songs are stored? Because I'd love to know what I am listening to.

In the description: GNR -- More Where That Came From at Fallout 3 Nexus (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1418)

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Dead Space 2's multiplayer is pretty good. It's basically Left 4 Dead with Necromorphs and more dieing. :D

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 04:39 AM
I have *spoilers* its not as good as the first *end spoilers*.

That's rather disappointing to hear. Still, worth £15?

dsdan
09-07-2011, 05:18 AM

Well, I certainly enjoyed the second as much as the first. But it's the usual sequel issue--in the first you don't know what's going on and you learn as you explore. In the second, you know what's happening and you simply go and kick butt. That may or may not bother you.

Smashbox
09-07-2011, 05:39 AM
I only want to say: Fallout 3 is seminal. Play this game any way you want, but play it. No excuse not to for that price.

Flint
09-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Re: Dead Space / Dead Space 2: I'd say they're both of the same quality, in the sense that the gameplay, attention to detail, fine-tuning everything to excellent enjoyability, etc are the exact same high quality. However, their emphasis is completely different. Where Dead Space 1 was all about atmosphere and wandering around dark corridors not knowing what's happening, Dead Space 2 is more about knowing the place is overrun with monsters and you've got to mow a lot of them down to get out. It's the Aliens to Dead Space's Alien. Both are good games, but which one you prefer is all about which approach you enjoy more.

I personally think DS2 is slightly worse, if only because it never ever lets go: it constantly takes you from one grand action scene to another, constantly tenses things up, constantly keeps on turning the situation more nightmareish. Which is a great atmosphere thing but, for me and for friends etc who've played it, results in massive combat fatigue when you'd simply just want a moment of not having things wanting to gut you out. That said, this time they've made all the weapons useful and each one is a great help to certain scenarios, making it one of the few games where each weapon is of value and choosing which ones to bring along is completely a personal style choice. Plus some of the new enemies are brilliant though, the pseudo-raptors are always a great thing to fight.

Well worth £15, with the caveat that it's not the same as DS1.

piggydiggy
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Is the Empire/Nap GOTY worth it for a fan of Shogun and Medieval 2, or should I save for Shogun 2?
And is Mafia 2 considered to not be that great?

cowthief skank
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I need some advice regarding Fallout 3. I'm on the fence about it, I really love the setting and atmopsphere and heard great things about it, but I usually hate RPGs. I couldn't stand Mass Effect 2, and I could never finish any RPG game, I just find the combat to be too tedius. The only RPG game I could complete was Anachronox because the story was worth it. I'm willing to give Fallout 3 a chance (without having played the previous games) because a heard that the combat is done right, what do you people think?

Depends what you want from the combat. You can play it FPS-style, aim and shoot, though with it being an RPG (ignore the guy who said it isn't) your skills matter, so it is not enough to be aiming right, your shot can miss. Or if you prefer slower paced combat, VATS allows you to line up shots depending on how many action points you have. Not turn based by any means, but slower than the standard combat mode.

I had no problems at all with the combat in Mass Effect 2; though I can understand why people might find it tedious, I enjoyed it. But the combat in Fallout feels substantially different, and with the right mods installed, very lethal.

Check out the Wanderer Edition mod linked earlier, and google PC Gamer Fllout 3 mods for a fairly decent list of mods to get you started, if that kind of thing interests you. Do NOT install all the mods in the PC Gamer list though, they do not like each other. If you do decide to mod the game, I am sure a quick thread on this here forum would get you quite a number of replies with suggestions...

sockeatsock
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Right, lets get this straight. I remember that at release, Fallout 3 was being described as Oblivion with guns.

I had several major problems with Oblivion: the leveling system, combat and the blandness of the setting. My issue with the leveling system is the obvious one. I felt the combat was too silly - stepping backwards and forwards and holding click - although I have nothing against action RPG's done right. The setting was, frankly, nothing but a disappointment. All the towns were confusingly similar and the scenery ranged from hills to hills with forests on them. As everyone likes to point out, the towns were then populated by the same five plastic faced citizens which did little to engage.

So tell me. Is Fallout 3 just Oblivion with guns? Or is the combat thrilling and engaging? The setting looks fine in screenshots, but is their variety and are the characters intriguing? Are the quests different from each other? Are the items interesting and varied? Please do tell.

Flint
09-07-2011, 09:08 AM
It's Oblivion with guns, I'd say. The combat's enjoyable enough and the setting looks fine, but there's no interesting characters and hardly any interesting content in general: my main grudge with F3 is that there's no characters, cities or fates to really care about, everything feels very superficial and devoid of any depth of personality. The leveling system is a bit awkward in a sense too: whilst the SPECIAL system is generally a rather good system, in F3 your choices matter very little because the game showers you with skill and attribute points as well as perks so you'll pretty much excel in most places anyway (plus mouse-aiming on PC kinda kills the importance of weapon skill points). It's still executed mechanically well enough (not great but not painful either), but outside a few bits and bobs here and there it gives you nothing to really care about or immerse in. Which at least delivered a fatal blow on the game for me. I don't enjoy it.

Apparently New Vegas is supposed to be better in this regard, being from Obsidian and all, but I've not played that myself.

Teddy Leach
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
It is. The engine is the same, the animation quality is still sub-par, although it has improved. The world and combat still feel floaty, ESPECIALLY the shooting. Enemies are extremely bullet-spongy and most of the guns don't feel nice to use. It's also buggy as all arseholes and you've a good chance of crashing for whatever reason.

If you liked the previous games, it disregards a lot of the story and it just doesn't feel like it's set in the same world. And everything that Flint said. I didn't enjoy it either.

hamster
09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Right, lets get this straight. I remember that at release, Fallout 3 was being described as Oblivion with guns.

I had several major problems with Oblivion: the leveling system, combat and the blandness of the setting. My issue with the leveling system is the obvious one. I felt the combat was too silly - stepping backwards and forwards and holding click - although I have nothing against action RPG's done right. The setting was, frankly, nothing but a disappointment. All the towns were confusingly similar and the scenery ranged from hills to hills with forests on them. As everyone likes to point out, the towns were then populated by the same five plastic faced citizens which did little to engage.

So tell me. Is Fallout 3 just Oblivion with guns? Or is the combat thrilling and engaging? The setting looks fine in screenshots, but is their variety and are the characters intriguing? Are the quests different from each other? Are the items interesting and varied? Please do tell.

Not really anything like Oblivion. Oblivion was pretty darn bland and had an abundance of identical looking ruins and caves (populated with random monsters & nothing else) dotted around the landscape, which is more or less forestry (with some Tundra up north). The thing is though, there's very little variety in the forestry. There might be a hill here or there that you can't scale, a few fallen logs but everything is pretty generic; there are scarcely any generic landmarks. On the other hand, i think fallout 3 does have some distinctive landmarks and the setting i suppose just affords it a kind of what-if intrigue. Even the mundane stuff like a supermarket store in a post apocalyptic wasteland, which is by itself architecturally bland, I thought had plenty of flavor to it. Fallout 3 also does a good job adding flavor and color to its "dungeons" - some dungeons have a kind of story or drama attached to them. Contrast this to Oblivion which uses the same damn tile sets for the Ayelid ruins and caves and sort of just filled it with monsters. It's basically a template with things to kill.

So my analysis is that it's definitely not Oblivion with guns. It's a lot better, in my opinion, particularly with survival mods. If there is one thing that's similar though, it's size of the cities. Even though fallout's cities have vastly more character, they're pretty darn tiny.

Lightbulb
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Fallout 3 needs a lot of mods (as does Oblivion) overall I would say I like Fallout 3 but don't like Oblivion. Despite clocking up many hours with both.

Xercies
09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
As I said before I think atmosphere and gameplay wise its a bit closer to Morrowind then Oblivion, the VATS system I think is really good and definitly takes away the terrible Oblivion combat. The perks and skills are really interesting, you do get a lot of choice during the quests with all the different things you can say. The landscape is kind of repetitive but the thing is, you can deal with that since its a post apocolyptic wasteland, of course its going to be all broken landscapes and Metro tunnels.

BenWah
09-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I heard fallout 3 is good with wasteland mod

Malawi Frontier Guard
09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Protip for Fallout 3: Don't get the perk that lets you see every location on the map. Takes away the "I'll go in a straight line in this direction, and what will be will be", because you know there won't be anything.

trjp
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I only want to say: Fallout 3 is seminal. Play this game any way you want, but play it. No excuse not to for that price.
I bought it at launch and 2 things leapt out in the first 2 hours of play

1 - the it required a lot of aimless wandering and guesswork as to the nature of quests - with a lot of death involved when you guessed wrong (I don't like this sort of game - I want directions, not just random hints as to where to go)

2 - that is was a crashfest with instant crashes-to-desktop, the likelihood of which appears to increase the further you are from a save

On that basis I sold it and I'm not really sold on the idea of coming back to it - even at this price.

dsdan
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
that is was a crashfest with instant crashes-to-desktop, the likelihood of which appears to increase the further you are from a save

Sadly, this seems to be a theme with launch-day play. I would guess that most of the technical issues have been worked out by now, though not if you count Games for Windows Live as a technical issue.

8-bit
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM

for £15, sure because the 'game' parts have improved a lot, especially the weapons which are all useful now, its just almost everything else was so very disappointing. it completely drops any idea of being a horror game and like flint said tries to be like aliens, but I think it failed to do that. you wander from one place to another with no feeling of the areas being connected at all, and each area repeats for far too long. there were even times where I had to stop and think, are these levels looping on themselves, or are they reusing the same corridors over and over? which is incredible to think either way that there might be padding here when the game is significantly shorter than the first.

the story, as I said I felt was very poor, you are the big hero who goes off to save the universe and thats it. but even a bad story can be saved by great characters, unfortunately not one of them (including Mr Isaac 'swears a lot' Clarke) manages to establish themselves as someone I could get behind or find any interest in.

the lack of any significant boss battles may or may not be a good thing for you, personally I thought they were one of the best things about the first game and it left a big hole in the second. as flint said the raptors are amazing, the best thing about the game really, and for a time I actually thought they really were properly clever enemies.

I cant speak for how you might feel about it, you might think the exact opposite from the way I feel, but for me its one of the most disappointing sequels this gen.

cowthief skank
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
1 - the it required a lot of aimless wandering and guesswork as to the nature of quests - with a lot of death involved when you guessed wrong (I don't like this sort of game - I want directions, not just random hints as to where to go)

I don't understand this complaint. There is a quest marker which shows you the direction you must travel?

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Surprising considering how lauded it was upon release. To be honest, the scares of DS1 did absolutely nothing for me, so if the game is more fun and the pretence of "Let's scare you!" is replaced with "Dakka dakka dakka", I'll probably be alright with that. I tried the demo on the 360 and it was okay. You know, not stellar, but certainly not rubbish. Almost like it was trying a bit too hard? But I do want to play it so depending on the price, I'll give it a whirl. Thank you.

vinraith
09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Sadly, this seems to be a theme with launch-day play. I would guess that most of the technical issues have been worked out by now, though not if you count Games for Windows Live as a technical issue.

Actually the Fallout Script Extender (which is needed for most of the better mods anyway) also deactivates GfWL, so even that one's been resolved by the modders.

trjp
09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't understand this complaint. There is a quest marker which shows you the direction you must travel?
In one particular case it directed me into the teeth of a lot of death - in another to an area apparently devoid of anything useful.

I'd assumed it was being 'tangential' - or 'broken' or whatever, either way I lost interest when it crashed for the fuckteenth time :)

Vandelay
09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Hmm... running into a lot of Fallout 3 bugs. Just had about 3 or 4 crashes all in the same area (about to leave the Vault.) Are there any fan patches around that might make it a bit more stable and solve most crashes in one go or do you have to do all the tweaking yourself?

Just trying out the limiting the game to two cores trick, which will hopefully iron out these crashes.

Just noticed that Bulletstorm has not had any kind of discount on it. Was hoping that might be a daily deal, but probably not.

Xercies
09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
the it required a lot of aimless wandering and guesswork as to the nature of quests - with a lot of death involved when you guessed wrong (I don't like this sort of game - I want directions, not just random hints as to where to go)

But...But...thats the best bit about it! Thats why I loved Morrowind as well, exploring and not knowing where your going and what your going to encounter.

Faldrath
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM
2 - that is was a crashfest with instant crashes-to-desktop, the likelihood of which appears to increase the further you are from a save

Both Fallout 3 and New Vegas seem to be rather more unstable in 64-bit systems, for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

KauhuK
09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
New Vegas is better than F3 but both have CTD:s. Point Lookout is best DLC for F3. I actually liked F3 after getting into it. New Vegas does the shootin' better but melee is a mess like in F3. New Vegas is more varied than F3 in locations and NPC:s. I hated the Vegas part of New Vegas, especially the mister house quest line. Otherwise NW did better and exploring was fun. For some reason though NW area felt smaller than F3. All in all I like both new Fallout games. If they make more of them they should get a better game engine and improve animation.

Dexter
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM

It is "Oblivion with guns", it pretty much has a lot of the problems that Oblivion also did... A lot of the NPCs feel generic and without any personality, the world is rather bland and you'll see the same 2-3 "broken car" models and the very same "table", "chair" and "computer terminal" all over the wasteland. They also recycled a lot of environments (you'll run through the same "warehouses", "schools" and "caves" etc. over and over again not to mention that they copy/pasted the same metro tunnel over a dozen times and you'll have to go through most of them to reach certain areas) and aside of a few exceptions a lot of the quests were rather boring too e.g. "go there by traversing 2-3 metro tunnels full of enemies, shoot yourself up 3 floors, then another 5 floors, back down again and kill lots of Mutants to get back to your quest giver through another 2-3 fields full of enemies" type.

I also found the combat lacking, some weapons you find early on do nearly to no damage even though you headshot an enemy 10+ times and thus become useless fast. Using VATS and activating it a lot during combat seemed kind of like a cheat cause you just have to aim for the weak parts of an enemy and its just going to die before it can do anything. There also isn't a wide variety of enemies (or boss fights), it's mostly Super Mutants, Raiders and Deathclaws and the game still employs level-scaling like Oblivion does (even though it doesn't do a very good job at that either, cause after you reach a certain level and have some equipment nothing will pose a threat anymore).

If you expect anything of the quality of Fallout 1+2 you'll be sorely disappointed. New Vegas does one better regarding story and world/NPC interaction but it suffers from the same damn engine and ailments associated with it that Fallout 3 had (and it seemed like they ran out of money or time again when it came to the design of Vegas itself and the areas surrounding it).

Vandelay
09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Just to advise anyone that is having freezing issues, my crashes seem to have stopped now by making sure it only uses 2 of my 4 cores. If anyone else is having issues, go to the Fallout.ini file in my documents/my games/fallout and alter the bUseThreadAI=0 line to 1. Then, below this, add iNumHWThreads=2.

Played for about an hour with that on and had no crashes since.

dsdan
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I vaguely recall being worried about the Hitman series because they didn't have mid-level saves or they didn't have quick-saves or something like that. Is that the case?

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Wow okay some good stuff here:

Portal 2 (50%), Duke Nukem (50%)(!), Dead Space 2 (50%) and Terrraria, 75% off.

Go crazy guys. CRAZY!

PeteC
09-07-2011, 06:06 PM
What I assume are the final daily deals before tomorrows likely recap / best of :

Portal 2 £14.99
Dead Space £7.49 DS2 £9.99 both £14.99
Hitman £1.49 Silent Assassin £1.49 Blood Money £1.49 All of them £4.48
X: BtF £0.87 X:Tension £0.87 X2 £1.24 X3: Reunion £2.49 X3: Terran Conflict £4.99 X3: Gold £6.24 All of them £9.99
Prince of Persia SoT £2.24 Warrior Within £2.24 The Two Thrones £2.24 POP £3.74 Forgotten Sands £3.74 All of them £12.49
Sam & Max complete £8.74 S1 £4.24 S2 £5.49 S3 £6.24
Terraria £1.74
Duke Nukem Forever £14.99Neverwinter Nights 2 £5.09
F1 2010 £6.79
Supreme Commander £2.49
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem £1.49

Portal 2 and Terraria for me I think.

Teddy Leach
09-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I vaguely recall being worried about the Hitman series because they didn't have mid-level saves or they didn't have quick-saves or something like that. Is that the case?

Nope, they let you save mid-level. You can only save a set number of times though, which depends on the difficulty.

Vandelay
09-07-2011, 06:09 PM
It does have saves mid-level, but it is limited depending on the difficulty level. I would definitely recommend Blood Money for that price (which I will be picking up a second copy of.) Silent Assassin is good too, although I can't really imagine going back to it after playing Blood Money. I've not played the first, but believe it had some issues.

Can any one recommend the latest Prince of Persia to someone who loved all of the modern trilogy? I know the cell shaded one was not meant to be great, but is it worth it for that price too?

dsdan
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
You can only save a set number of times though, which depends on the difficulty.
Ugh, not my optimal scenario--is there any way (mods or hacks) around this?

Forceflow
09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Since it's probably the last day of sales, I might go completely berzerk and buy Dead Space Pack + The Duke.

Faldrath
09-07-2011, 06:14 PM
F1 2010, modded, is a lot of fun once you learn to live with its quirks.

dsdan
09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Can any one recommend the latest Prince of Persia to someone who loved all of the modern trilogy?
The latest felt closest in style and gameplay to Sands of Time, which for me was a good thing.

I know the cell shaded one was not meant to be great, but is it worth it for that price too?
It was much more open-ended (collect all the gems in the world) than the others (traverse a set of rooms and puzzles). I didn't like the change but your mileage may vary.

deano2099
09-07-2011, 06:18 PM
For a fiver, NWN2 Platinum is well worth it. I didn't hate the OC as much as some, but at this price, even if you only play the first expansion it's a bargain. Genuinely one of the best RPGs ever made, mostly ignored because it was an expansion to a fairly mediocre one.

Plus there's a ton of free user-created content out there. Try Dark Waters.

Vandelay
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Cheers dsdan. Think I'll just stick with Forgotten Sands then.

Last question, is there any point in getting x3: Reunion or is Terran Conflict the only one necessary?

Kelron
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Just get Terran Conflict. The X games to date have mostly been building on the previous game, there's not much reason to play older ones aside from nostalgia.

If you've never played the X series before and the concept is of any interest to you, I heartily encourage you to try it. They're niche games but I've got 100s of hours out of them, and while people complain about inaccessability it's not that hard to get to grips with if you want to. It's nowhere near as fiddly as Dwarf Fortress, for example, and supports mouse navigation for everything as of Terran Conflict. There's also a lively and helpful community who've modded the game on a scale comparable to The Elder Scrolls, doing everything from adding extra hotkeys to total conversions.

8-bit
09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
putting my disappointment with the second game to one side for a moment fifteen quid for both dead space games is quite the bargain, they are actually some of the few singleplayer games that are worth playing more than once imo.

so whats the deal with Terraria then, I hear its minecraft meets metroid so I will probably get it I but heard complaints about end game stuff, are there any potential problems I should be aware of before I buy it?

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Terraria has recently gotten a huge update, which added new weapons, NPCs, etc.
For this price it's more than worth the mony. At the beginning it had some multiplayer issues, like only being playable via Hamachi, but I believe that is fixed now.

For that price you can't do anything wrong, really.

Giaddon
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
It does have saves mid-level, but it is limited depending on the difficulty level.

ALSO! Very important: if you leave the mission all your saves are thrown into a fire. So you can save mid-level to go back to during that mission (if you mess up or whatever) but once you quit out of that mission all your saves are deleted.

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM
See I can't see much point to Terraria, simply because I can't see it offering any where near as much scale and spectacle that Minecraft can. It's a different game, I'll give it that.

Suddenly, hearing that Hitman has limited saves has got me interested. That's an interesting mechanic. For a noob to the series, one to recommend?

Dead Space 2 is mine for the taking. F1 2010 also interests me.

Faldrath
09-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Dead Space 1 is a really shoddy port... you can't remap keys without editing game files, and I think it still has that bug that changes the difficulty level to medium no matter which one you choose. No idea how DS2 fares, but that's the warning.

Giaddon
09-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Suddenly, hearing that Hitman has limited saves has got me interested. That's an interesting mechanic. For a noob to the series, one to recommend?

Blood Money, easy.

And the Prince of Persia Pack ($15 for all the games) may be the best single deal of the entire summer sale. Each one is fantastic and worth playing.

KauhuK
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
So how is the Neverwinter Nights 2? I remember playing the original main game and being bored to death. Are the expansion making it any better?

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
See I can't see much point to Terraria, simply because I can't see it offering any where near as much scale and spectacle that Minecraft can. It's a different game, I'll give it that.

Give Terraria a chance. I was thinking the same at first. Why bother with another sandbox game where the world is made out of blocks when Minecraft satisfies all my needs? I was wrong. After picking it up and spending one hour in it, I began to love it.

It transports a completely different feeling than Minecraft, as it's rather combat and exploring focused. You need to fight off a ton of monsters and there is always loot to find. I also enjoy the dungeons and different layers of the undgeround, as there is a lot to explore. The weapons are great aswell and the combat feels just like in Metroid. They got a lot of different decoration stuff to build an awesome house, for example proper furniture, which Minecraft always lacked. If you ever wished there would be more to do than just building in Minecraft, just buy it. You will have fun, I promise.

And on Hitman: If you like tactical gameplay and huge replayability then be sure to buy Blood Money, too. There are so many ways to complete a mission and there is nothing more satisfying than having achieved the "Silent Assasin" rank after a mission.

Dirtyboy
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Terraria is a no-brainer at that price, even if you end up not liking it you will get your money's worth out of it.

airtekh
09-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Blood Money is the one that is generally held in highest regard. It's the only one I've played anyway. I wasn't too keen on it though.

I shall investigate Terraria, and see what all the fuss is about.

Kelron
09-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Blood Money is the best of the Hitman series, there might be a few people who disagree, but not many.

I'm sure the Minecraft comparisons helped Terraria's sales, but they aren't fair on the game at all. You're right that it doesn't offer spectacle in the same way Minecraft does, but it's very much its own game. For £1.50 you're getting a fast paced action/exploration game, that also lets you build or craft for practical purposes and decoration. There's a ton of items to loot or make to arm and customise your character. It's a lot of fun in single player and even more fun in multiplayer. The devs are promising a lot more to come but it's a complete game as it stands.

vinraith
09-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Yup, one last sale, in the form of Terraria. That brings my total spent this sale to less than $22. Ironically, I spent more on Gamersgate over the course of this Steam sale than I spent on Steam.

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Downloading the Bloody Money demo now. Providing Steam lets me. All those damn Portal 2 downloads.

Bare in mind people that today is likely the last day of fresh sales. Still no harm in waiting till tomorrow just in case, but any titles you still wanted to pick up? You're likely safe to do so.

SilverSilence
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
There are no more hidden sale images up on the Steam servers, looks like tomorrow will be a best of day as usual.

Kelron
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
So how is the Neverwinter Nights 2? I remember playing the original main game and being bored to death. Are the expansion making it any better?

I'd say it's definitely worth it, but I may have a biased view as I liked the original game. They're still based around the same mechanics so if you don't like that kind of CRPG then it's not the series for you.

However, the expansions do include big improvements to the interface and AI. The first expansion is far more interesting and better written than the original game. The second is kind of a cross between Icewind Dale and a Mount & Blade style overland map. You make your party and travel around adventuring and building up a merchant company. There is a main plot holding it together but the game is generally more combat focused.

tomeoftom
09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I cant've spent more than $30AUD, but I've bought a whole slew. It's weird - I honestly think games as a whole are now distinctly undervalued. I actually want to spend more per game, for four reasons:

1. I buy, and maybe (hopefully) play less on the whole.
2. I give more money to developers.
3. I savour the games I /do/ buy.
4. I economically dissuade the F2P trend of watering down games-as-discrete-works.

EDIT: JG, just buy Blood Money. Straight out, don't waste your bandwidth on the demo. It's worth buying for any single one of the levels alone, excluding perhaps the first mission.

goatmonkey
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I have been hoping Bloodlines would be less than a tenner same with Force Unleashed 2 pretty certain the second is not worth that much

airtekh
09-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Downloading the Bloody Money demo now.

A word of warning. I may be wrong but I think the demo of Blood Money is the tutorial level from the full game.

It can be quite unrepresentative of the actual game, as it is very linear, whereas the rest of the game is quite open-ended.

Rii
09-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Bought the complete Prince of Persia collection. Time to see what Yahtzee has been raving about all this time.

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
EDIT: JG, just buy Blood Money. Straight out, don't waste your bandwidth on the demo. It's worth buying for any single one of the levels alone, excluding perhaps the first mission.

Ha, thanks, but £1.50 ill spent is still ill spent money. If there's a demo, I'll check it out first (bar Amnesia, which my best friend ordered me to get months ago). Fortunately, unlimited downloads and no-one else uses the internet for anything else intensive like me, so it's all good.

Noted, airtekh. Still, if I don't like the way it plays, that's enough for me. I'll certainly take on board what people say. Almost half-downloaded now, not long...

I have been home Bloodlines would be less than a tenner same with Force Unleashed 2 pretty certain the second is not worth that much

Force Unleashed 1 was a chore to play through, with potential. From everything I've seen, FU2 might as well be saying FU to the player. Criminally short, not that good, etc. You're not missing out, I reckon.

Opinions on F1 2010 welcome. Does it feel fun to race around the circuits? Unless the actual races, do people over-take? Etc. etc.

Icarus
09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Turns out Forgotten Sands uses UbiDRM. Lost sale :(

Forceflow
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
For all those people on the fence about buying Hitman: Blood Money: it's a steal at this price. A very good game, and you can really tackle every level in multiple ways.

Dexter
09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Going to (finally) get the Sam&Max Complete Pack, Hitman: Blood Money, X3: Terran Conflict and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (got one every sale and played the first two :P) today.
I can recommend Terraria at that price to everyone unconditionally, especially if you have friends to play it with. I got the 4-Pack a few weeks back and it was absolutely worth it. Can't say that about many games xD

Already got a lot of the others too like Portal 2, Neverwinter Nights 2+Add-Ons and the Dead Space Pack or I might grab em too.

I didn't like Neverwinter Nights 1, imo it was one of the worst (if not the worst) games that Bioware made (the main campaign that is) including Dragon Age 2... fortunately it had that "Dungeon Master" and Online thing and a bunch of Mods and Maps to redeem itself.
Neverwinter Nights 2 and its Expansions were made by Obsidian and as KOTOR2 and Alpha Protocol aswell as New Vegas I see inherent qualities in their games and they can spin a good story, albeit their games are somewhat flawed.

Personally I enjoyed both the Neverwinter Nights 2 OC a lot, but Mask of the Betrayer is a Masterpiece... both took me back to Baldur's Gate somewhat and I can recommend playing them although i've seen people not enjoying them because they had issues with the camera controls and the party characters being "cliché" *shrugs*

Kelron
09-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Ha, thanks, but £1.50 ill spent is still ill spent money. If there's a demo, I'll check it out first (bar Amnesia, which my best friend ordered me to get months ago). Fortunately, unlimited downloads and no-one else uses the internet for anything else intensive like me, so it's all good.

The Blood Money demo is only the tutorial mission of the game, which is linear, dull and totally unrepresentative of the rest of the game.

dsdan
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Turns out Forgotten Sands uses UbiDRM.
If I remember correctly, they patched it to the "login to UPlay on game start" DRM from the original "constant connection" DRM. But I could be not remembering correctly.

Giaddon
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Considering that tomorrow is probably rehashed sales, anyone want to share good deals on items never on daily sale? Here are five:

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (http://store.steampowered.com/app/15750/?snr=1_5_9__13) - $3.39 (66%) -- This is the third/first person Oddworld game where you fire bugs at bad guys to get enough money to perform a mysterious operation on yourself.
Hinterland (http://store.steampowered.com/app/17140/) - $2.50 (75%) -- Lite Action RPG / Lite city builder combine for a surprisingly engaging game.
Aquaria (http://store.steampowered.com/app/24420/?snr=1_5_9__13) -$5 (75%) -- 2D aquatic metroidvania with a relaxing pace and excellent graphics.
UFO Afterlight (http://store.steampowered.com/app/7500/?snr=1_5_9__13) - $4.99 (50%) -- Kinda X-Com where you terraform and fight on mars.
The Void (http://store.steampowered.com/app/37000/?snr=1_7_7_230_13) - $4.99 (50%) -- Crazy Russian game where you try to eke out survival in a twisted afterlife.

Urthman
09-07-2011, 07:12 PM
I was given the DVD version of Forgotten Sands and successfully used the available crack that removes the DRM. I would guess you can do the same with the Steam version, although you might have to run it using a separate shortcut rather than running it through Steam (I've done that successfully with several other Steam games that have objectionable DRM, but haven't tried it with Forgotten Sands).

Urthman
09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I was thinking of getting The Ball at -50% and Hydrophobia at -66% tomorrow if the didn't show up with a bigger discount in any of the daily sales. But Portal 2, Terreria, and X3 might max me out the sale today.

Giaddon
09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I was thinking of getting The Ball at -50%

The Ball is 66% off at GamersGate right now. (At least in the US). Pretty sure you can link it to Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BALL/the-ball

Faldrath
09-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Opinions on F1 2010 welcome. Does it feel fun to race around the circuits? Unless the actual races, do people over-take? Etc. etc.

The racing itself is pretty fun, I think. There is overtaking, and AI cars do make mistakes, but as I said there are some quirks: no mechanical defects, and the damage model is very weird - as in, cars almost never retire. And some missing stuff: no safety car, no podium animation (!), and the attempt at making an RPG-lite of the pilot's career (which boils down to answering the same questions in interviews repeatedly).

Despite all that, I still love the game, because the racing itself feels very good. Just yesterday, for instance: I was racing a full length race at Sepang, Malaysia. There was a 45% chance of rain (but it doesn't tell you how light/heavy the rain will be). Race starts on a dry track, I'm leading, but can't really build a gap over Hamilton in second place, mostly due to my inability to do the first couple of turns well. As my scheduled pit-stop approaches, the clouds start to build. On the lap I'm supposed to pit, the rain starts, lightly at first. I think to myself "this is Malaysia, what are the chances that this rain will be light, really?", so I decide to use full wet tyres instead of the intermediate ones my engineer recommends (and that everyone else is getting). My gamble pays off, and five laps later it starts to pour down, everyone has to pit again but me, and I proceed to win the race. That felt pretty good, and makes up for the foibles.

Plus, you can prettify it a lot using mods, fix some AI stuff, change camera angles, things like that.

hariseldon
09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll just say buy Hitman Blood Money. Dirt cheap and you'll have a shedload of fun. I promise. I'll eat my own balls if you don't have fun with it. Also, f12010 is pretty good, I still prefer the geoff crammond games but it's the best modern effort by some distance.

raddevon
09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Considering that tomorrow is probably rehashed sales, anyone want to share good deals on items never on daily sale?

I would love to!

Tiny Bang Story (http://store.steampowered.com/app/96000) - $3.40 (66%) -- Brilliant hidden object hunt. Discussed previously on RPS. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/09/oh-my-goodness-play-the-tiny-bang-story/)
The Longest Journey (http://store.steampowered.com/app/6310) & Dreamfall (http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300) - $2.50/$5 (75%) -- Acclaimed adventure games before the point-and-click resurgence. I believe this was touched on previously in the thread.
Solar 2 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/97000) - $5 (50%) -- Checked out the demo of this one. It's one of those games where you absorb things to embiggen so you can absorb bigger things. Has a few interesting twists on that formula. Seems addictive.
Drakensang (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12640) - $6.79 (66%) -- I seem to remember this was $5 just yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?
Eschalon: Books 1 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/25600) & 2 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/25620) - $3.74/$5 (75%) -- Very cool RPGs. You have to take the cartography skill to get the minimap!
Puzzle Bots (http://store.steampowered.com/app/80300) - $1.25 (75%) -- Cute adventure game with robots each with a unique ability. Switch between them to solve puzzles.
Lume (http://store.steampowered.com/app/105100)- $2.38 (66%) -- Adventure game with a great art style. Covered previously (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/10/wot-i-micro-think-lume/). Very short.

hariseldon
09-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Bought longest journey and dreamfall, I can highly recommend them. Go spend your money!

PeteC
09-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Aquaria (http://store.steampowered.com/app/24420/?snr=1_5_9__13) -$5 (75%) -- 2D aquatic metroidvania with a relaxing pace and excellent graphics.

I like the look of that. I'll be grabbing that one I reckon. Thanks for the heads up.

The JG Man
09-07-2011, 08:45 PM
On the contrary, I found Aquaria lacking any real direction, quite tame and exceedingly slow. I'm not asking for constant bombastic action, but it starts and there's monologue. Then something weird happens and then it stops. And then it's opened up to you! And I don't care at that point.

If anyone would like to recommend games that haven't been on any daily sale but are still on offer, let me know. I'll put them up in the OP wiping that list of general games. If you want to do a short description as well, that would be handy.

Vexing Vision
09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
So, can anyone tell me how awful this Post Apocalyptic Motorracing is?

If it has customizable cars, I'll buy it regardless, in the hopes that eventually someone remakes Interstate.

hariseldon
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I ended up with aquaria as part of some pack or other but honestly found it pretty underwhelming. Dull dull dull.

SilverSilence
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Seems decent enough for 2.50
http://youtu.be/xLBhYJhA7OY

amandachen
09-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I found Aquaria dull too. But it's excellent if you love that sort of slow-paced game. Couple of my friends thought it was their game of the year (whatever year that was).

MondSemmel
09-07-2011, 08:55 PM
My non-daily-sale recommendations:

Osmos (http://store.steampowered.com/app/29180/) (-75%): Watch the trailer! It's an awesome game in which you absorb stuff, move using conservation of impulse, there's gravitational force, epicycles, etc. The trailer makes the game seem purely relaxing, bu that's not really the case: The final levels can be very challenging. And after beating all regular levels there's a "forever" mode that goes on and becomes more difficult forever. Also available for iThingies.
VVVVVV (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/) (-50%): Much shorter than Super Meat Boy (2-3h playtime) and less unforgiving, but still an awesome retro-style platformer. And the game soundtrack is absolutely spectacular. (It's called PPPPPP - search for it on Youtube.)
Bob Came In Pieces (http://store.steampowered.com/app/46000/?snr=1_5_9__13) (-75%): Again, watch the trailer. Except for its unfortunate title, this is a game even children can enjoy. Both me and my younger brother certainly did enjoy it.

EDIT: I only listed games who had both big discounts and which offered me genuine entertainment. These three games are all excellent.

vinraith
09-07-2011, 08:57 PM
If only Aquaria stayed slow and explorative. Sadly, after about an hour, it turns into a side scrolling shooter. I was quite enjoying it until then.

amandachen
09-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Mayhem Intergalactic. A good, simple space strategy game, kinda like Galcon (but not so twitchy twitch-based, according to this review). I haven't played it, but I bought it and it's downloading now. Anyone played this? Looks like it would be excellent for a low-spec system.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/18600
http://www.outofeight.info/2007/07/mayhem-intergalactic-review.html

Few pennies cheaper from the official site:
http://www.inventivedingo.com/mayhemig

cowthief skank
09-07-2011, 09:11 PM
The Ball is 66% off at GamersGate right now. (At least in the US). Pretty sure you can link it to Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BALL/the-ball

I could be missing something, but I bought The Ball on Gamersgate and Steam will not accept my serial. Tried it as soon as I bought it, and a day later just in case there was some weird delay thing going on.

hariseldon
09-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Osmos is a good chill-out game, though it does get quite tricky in something of a sudden difficulty-spike, or maybe I just suck at games. VVVVVV is just a game you must own. Simples. Plus the music is wonderful. You might need to learn a few new swears though as it will make you run through them at quite a pace. Honestly though, for something that looks so simple, it's a beautiful beautiful thing.

hariseldon
09-07-2011, 09:27 PM
So damage total, £27, 7 games. Not bad all in all. The last steam sale hurt my wallet much more (though I ended up with a shedload of games). As sales go, there wasn't quite as much to grab my attention this time round but maybe that's cos I bought most of what I wanted in the winter sale (and still haven't played all of them).

Vandelay
09-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I can't even remember all the games I've bought now.

Okay, working through my game list, to figure out what I've bought:

Darksiders
Dark Messiah Might and Magic
Dead Rising 2
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout: New Vegas
Hitman: Blood Money
Monday Night Combat
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Quake
Quake 2 (Okay, I'm cheating now)
Quake 2: Ground Zero
Quake 2: The Reckoning
Quake 3 Arena
Quake 3: Team Arena
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourage of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (what a stupid subtitle!)
R.U.S.E + the Japanese DLC
Risen
Super Meat Boy
X3: Terran Conflict

Don't think I'm missing anything off there. Pretty good haul.

Now Valve, when are you going to be selling a time manipulation device, so I can actually play these.

My bank statement says I've sent Valve a little over £40, but that can't be right. I'm thinking it must be over £60.

Edit: Oh, missed one off the list. Also got Killing Floor.

Comrade Commissar
09-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Damage reports?
Alright... So far I bought:

Garry's Mod
The Magicka DLCs
Monday Night Combat
Counter Strike: Source
Audiosurf
Poker Night at the Inventory
Day of Defeat: Source
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

And that's it.
Pretty good, I guess.

vinraith
09-07-2011, 11:11 PM
All told:

Dreamfall
a handful of Just Cause 2 DLC's
Beat Hazard Ultra DLC
Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword
King Arthur: The Druids DLC
Sanctum
Rush
Terraria

So not much, and nothing over $5. I'm pleased.

deano2099
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Was just about to get Terraria and it's gone from 75% off to 50% off. Even though it's only £3 that's sort of put me off now so I'm going to leave it.

Similar
09-07-2011, 11:15 PM
I think I learned something from the Christmas sale, namely that I never get around to playing as many games as I think I will, so there's no point in buying those I'm not quite sure I'll play. So my list is rather short this time:

Alpha Protocol
Defense Grid (very happy I got this; it gives me some of the same feeling I had when I first played Starcraft).
Audio Surf
Sanctum
(and then I just got the Earth 2150 trilogy on gog.com)

Still trying to make my mind up about X3: Terran Conflict.

ETA: I caved in; it seemed easier to buy it than to try to make up my mind (and I like what I've read about both the game and the continued support of the developers).

Icarus
09-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Damage report you say?

Protip: If you click the '%name's account' on the top right of your Steam client, it'll show your account history.

....oh my good god damn

Drakensang
Nation Red
Star Ruler
Winter Voices + all episodes
The Witcher 2
Bit.Trip RUNNER
Solar 2
All Magicka DLC
Hinterland
Just Cause 2 + all DLC
SpaceChem
Hoard
All Defence Grid DLC (already owned the base game)
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Arma II
Arma II: Operation Arrowhead
Arma II: British Armed Forces
Flight Control HD
Longest Journey + Dreamfall
Alpha Protocol
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
Serious Sam HD Gold Pack (First and Second Encounter HD plus the originals)
Jamestown
Who's That Flying
Inside a Star-Filled Sky
Beat Hazard: Ultra DLC
The Last Remnant
Fallout 3 GOTY
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia (2008)
Zeno Clash

RobF
10-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Could have been worse, I suppose:

Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
Mass Effect 2
Sanctum
The Sims 3
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame Druids DLC
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
OddBoxx
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Fable 3 Traitor's Keep Quest Pack
Fable III
Fable 3 Understone Quest Pack
Gratuitous Space Battles: Galactic Conquest
Lume
Guardians of Graxia Game and Map Pack
The Heroes Pack
Just Cause
Medal of Honor Standard WW
Stubbs the Zombie
Garshasp The Monster Slayer

There's still the final day "scoot through the wishlist for random crap that hasn't been in a daily" to go, mind.

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Bit.Trip. Runner - £1.75.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - £1.50.
Super Meat Boy - £6.
Magicka 4 pack - £8.15.
STALKER - Shadows of Chernobyl - £2.50.
Call of Pripyat - £3.25.
Amnesia - £3.25.
Dead Space 2 - £10.
Total sums = £36.40 for 8 games.
Average cost = £4.55.

Still on the fence about F1 2010 and I'm interested in picking up Vampire Bloodlines. Someone said this is available elsewhere cheaper though? I would like to be informed as to where.

Comrade Commissar
10-07-2011, 12:21 AM
To anyone who bought Audiosurf:
Be sure to play the original "Still alive" song from Portal! It's an awesome easteregg! (I think you need to use the one from the Orange Box soundtrack, at least that's how I did it.)

Edit: Apparently it really needs to be the original, not any downloaded copy. And you have to choose "Pointman".

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Is SupCom2 hot?

JamesG
10-07-2011, 12:39 AM
The damage:

Terraria
Dwarfs!?
The Final Hours of Portal 2
Windosill
Zen Bound 2
(Free) Alien Breed 2
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money
Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC
Beat Hazard - Ultra
Magicka: Vietnam
The Heroes Pack
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER

Edit: @MrWeed
Ahh, that's nice. The mode was first introduced in the potato ARG, with one of the songs that GLaDOS decided was better than my music. Not sure what happened to the song after the ARG, but I'm glad to see the mode survived at least.

ComradePenguin
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
The damage:
Zen Bound 2

How is that working out on a PC? I quite enjoyed the original on my iPod touch but not sure how it would lend itself to mouse and keyboard controls. Still tempted though.

My spending has been modest thus far:

Audiosurf
Sanctum
Atom Zombie Smasher
Tropico 3 Gold
Magicka

And the last of those was gained though a bad poem rather than cash. I can see Dwarfs!?, Tiny Bang Story, Chime and Lume being added to that tomorrow. I'm also tempted by Cargo! - The Quest For Gravity despite everything.

Track
10-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Haven't bought anything yet unfortunately, though I am definitely considering Terraria.

JamesG
10-07-2011, 01:05 AM
How is that working out on a PC? I quite enjoyed the original on my iPod touch but not sure how it would lend itself to mouse and keyboard controls. Still tempted though.

I can certainly see how it would feel a bit more tactile on a touch screen, but I found it worked quite well with the mouse. I think my years of gaming help though, as they mean rotating something around in three dimensions with the mouse just works. It can be a bit tricky when you are wanting to hook the rope up and under something, but I'm not sure if this is the control scheme, or a difficulty of the puzzles. However, importantly, the rope manages to feel solid and tense, which makes the process far more satisfying than I was expecting. (And no, I don't mean like THAT)

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Bloody Money bought. Controls are a little weird, but I like the open approach to things. I can only imagine what happens in a live world. Bah, Steam.

Asking again because hey, why not - where was it that Bloodlines was cheaper?

ComradePenguin
10-07-2011, 01:32 AM
It can be a bit tricky when you are wanting to hook the rope up and under something, but I'm not sure if this is the control scheme, or a difficulty of the puzzles.

As I remember it this was also a bit of an issue with the original on the idevices so I think it may just be the nature of interacting with a 3d object in a 2d way. For 70p I may add it to my list of rather cheap purchases. Thanks for the tip.

airtekh
10-07-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm quite pleased with myself at this sale. Don't think I spent more than €35.

I got:

Terraria
Fallout 3 GOTY
GTA IV Episodes
Monday Night Combat
Alpha Protocol
Serious Sam HD: Double Pack

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Just a head's up, but there's been a price rise on Terraria. It is now only 50% off at £3.

vinraith
10-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Just a head's up, but there's been a price rise on Terraria. It is now only 50% off at £3.

I'm assuming that first sales price was an error, I was VERY surprised to see such a new game go more than 50% off.

vinno
10-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Alot of willpower has managed to keep my list down to:

Magicka complete pack
Defence Grid
X3 Terren Conflict
Far Cry 2
Gratuitous Space Battles
Beyond Good and Evil

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 02:12 AM
I imagine it was, vinraith. What surprises me though is that the fixes are usually quite quick, this one seemed a little slow. Either way, if you were interested it's still a great price from what I've heard.

(And yup, still wondering where that cheap Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines was!)

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't think it exists, dude. The only other place I've seen Bloodlines is D2D, and right now the Steam and D2D price is the same. Maybe it was a temporary deal...?

field_studies
10-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Osmos is a good chill-out game, though it does get quite tricky in something of a sudden difficulty-spike, or maybe I just suck at games.

I had the same experience--a nice bit of challenging physics and relaxing ambience, until I hit a wall and couldn't get any further. I put the game down then and never returned. But remember it fondly.

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Oh it was D2D! It's £7.50 versus £10 on Steam. So there you go, anyone interested in it on Steam who wants to be frugal, D2D is the place to go!

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Ah, OK. US vs. UK difference. Glad I could (accidentally) help!

icupnimpn2
10-07-2011, 02:33 AM
spouse may be cheesed when the smoke has cleared, but I've pulled in:

Zen Bound 2
Windosill
Eternity's Child
Lume
Terraria
Audiosurf
AI War: Light of the Spire DLC
AI War: Children of Neinzul
Beat Hazard Complete
A.R.E.S.
The Polynomial
SpaceChem
The Heroes Pack
Civ V Gamersgate Retail
Toki Tori
Summer Sale Prize - Defense Grid DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Beat Hazard DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Alien Breed 2
Summer Sale Prize - SpaceChem DLC
Summer Sale Prize - A.R.E.S. DLC
Summer Sale Prize - AI War: Fleet Command DLC

Matzerath
10-07-2011, 03:18 AM
I only bought a few modest items:
The Longest Journey
Faerie Solitaire (don't laugh it's good, dammit!)
Hammerfight (always wanted to, forgot then remembered)
Terraria (when it was really 2.50 and not changed to 5 bucks)

The problem is that there is an intimidating number of new major/indie games being released in the next few months. Stronghold 3, Rock of Ages, Desktop Dungeons, that turn based zombie game by people from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and ... just too much. Most of the big studio ones will probably turn out to be lousy, so if my pessimism proves true I can conserve my money for the notable indies.

Dexter
10-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER
Alien Breed 2 (Summer Sale Prize)
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West (was only 1.35€)
SpaceChem
HOARD
Flight Control HD
Alpha Protocol
Dwarfs!?
A.R.E.S.
STALKER: Clear Sky
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Monday Night Combat
Stubbs the Zombie
Capsized
Jamestown
Aquaria
Sanctum 4-Pack
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Drakensang
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Oddworld: Stranger's Warth
Sam and Max: Complete Pack
X3: Terran Conflict
Eufloria
I-Fluid

And a few Tips also:
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7135/) for 1.80€
Time Gentlemen, Please! (http://store.steampowered.com/app/37400/) for 1€
Plain Sight (http://store.steampowered.com/app/49900/) for 2€
Goddamnit Steam... we have to talk...

Flint
10-07-2011, 07:07 AM
HOMMV + expansions + Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Tiny Bang Story x2 (one as a gift to someone else)
Quake

And got gifted Hoard.

Didn't go crazy but got a few things I wanted - my list looks so minimal compared to you lot! There's still the last day though, might get something I was debating earlier on if it gets a reprise.

PeteC
10-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Toki Tori - 87p
Garry's Mod - £1.49
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - £17.99
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Ikko Ikki Clan DLC - £1.79
Torchlight - £2.59
Assassin's Creed Collector's Pack - £16.99
Assassin's Creed 2 - Prima Official Strategy Guide - 71p
Civ V Cradle of Civilization Denmark DLC - £1.49
Civ V Babylon DLC - £1.49
Civ V Spain & Inca DLC - £2.59 (I think)
CivV Polynesia DLC - £1.49
Left 4 Dead 2 - £3.74
Amnesia: The Dark Descent -£3.24
Universe Sandbox - £3.49
Portal 2 - £14.99

Total - £73.46

Ouch! Had no idea I'd been spending that much.

A bit annoyed at myself for buying the Civ V DLC as I'm pretty much done with that game, which was a disappointment to me. No idea why I got them.

cowthief skank
10-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Had no idea I'd been spending that much.

I thought I was doing really well, only spending small amounts, no day did I spend more than £10 til yesterday with Dead Space pack, yet adding it up comes to over £50...

I got:

Knights of the Old Republic
All Just Cause 2 DLC
Magicka Final Frontier DLC (how could I resist Magicka with a phaser?)
Torchlight x2 (one for a friend)
Fallout New Vegas
Bully
Mount and Blade With Fire and Sword
Atom Zombie Smasher
Risen
Lara Croft Guardian of Light
Splinter Cell Conviction
Dead Space
Dead Space 2

And Alien Breed 2 for free for simply posting some junk on my friend's community page that he never even uses and downloading and watching the Dead Rising 2 trailer...

KauhuK
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Swords & Soldiers HD - 3.40€
Tropico 3: Absolute Power (had the original already) - 3.74€
Tidalis - 3.99€
Sanctum - 3.75€

That makes a total of 14.88€

Not bad, but then again, I own already almost all the games that have been on sale that I would have wanted.

Xercies
10-07-2011, 10:11 AM
AI War and the DLC
Tomb Raider Underworld

For me this sale I was definitly trying to not buy much, really tempted on Portal 2 but I just can't afford it. Damn if I had more money I probably would have gone more crazy.

Colonel J
10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Considering that tomorrow is probably rehashed sales, anyone want to share good deals on items never on daily sale?

Another one I've heard good things about & was holding out for on Daily Sale is Anomaly: Warzone Earth (http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/?snr=1_4_4__13)- £4.49 (50%). Do people like it, worth getting?

I already picked up Sanctum and Defence Grid: Awakening in this sale (both brilliant), hey why not throw another good Tower Defence indie onto the backlog...

8-bit
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Terraria
Sanctum
Beat Hazard - Ultra
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

what I got with the tickets.
Defense Grid DLC
Beat Hazard DLC
Alien Breed 2

I could have easily gotten more tickets but I didn't see much point, the other prizes don't interest me and its not like my chances will be greatly affected for the grand prize they are doing. going to buy Eschalon book 2 later today so it should come to just under 12 pounds, and I had a starting budget of about £15 so its not bad. if there is anything interesting in the last day that I missed earlier I might get something else.