PDA

View Full Version : The Steam Summer Sale Thread of 2011 - My god. It's full of games.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Vexing Vision
10-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Another one I've heard good things about & was holding out for on Daily Sale is Anomaly: Warzone Earth (http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/?snr=1_4_4__13)- £4.49 (50%). Do people like it, worth getting?

I already picked up Sanctum and Defence Grid: Awakening in this sale (both brilliant), hey why not throw another good Tower Defence indie onto the backlog...

I found Anomaly a lot of fun. The quality of production is astonishing, and the gameplay is very nice. Even with the challenge maps though, don't expect to have more than 8 to 10 hours of gameplay in there. For 5 Pounds, I'd recommend it though.

fiddlesticks
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Hitman: Blood Money
The Longest Journey
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
SpaceChem
Just Cause 2
Braid
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
FarCry
Killing Floor Bundle
Audiosurf

Well, that was a lot more than I originally anticipated. I'm not regretting any of the purchases so far, but I do hope I've got enough time to actually play them all before the Christmas Sale arrives. I still have leftover games from the last one.

y2rich
10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Blood Bowl Legendary
Borderlands DLC pack
Deus Ex GOTY
M&B Warband
Red Orchestra Ostfront
Sanctum
Civ V (Gamersgate)
SpaceChem
TDU2
Alien Breed 2 Assault (free gift)
F1 2010
Hitman Blood Money
Mafia II

May also get DoW Retribution if it comes back in the sale.

Similar
10-07-2011, 12:18 PM
oh. Forgot the ticket stuff:

Zombie Driver map (haven't tried it).
Men of War: Assault Squad (I don't have the game, but I plan on getting it).
X3: Terran Conflict sector thing (haven't tried it)
Defense Grid map packs (very much worth it).
Alien Breed 2 (Well, free game).

I kind of wanted the Portal 2 gear, even though it's pretty silly, especially as I don't even have the game yet, but it's hard work getting the 2 tickets I still need for it (would be easy if I had any Steam friends, but as it is I can only get the tickets by playing and I've done the less impossible ones already).

MondSemmel
10-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm assuming that first sales price was an error, I was VERY surprised to see such a new game go more than 50% off.

On the big Steam Sale page, the price was at 75% off at the beginning, but on the Steam Sale popup/advertisement/announcement thingie that sometimes appears, it was already displayed as 50% off. So there definitely was an error in there somewhere. I was actually panicking when I saw that (because an error seemed at least likely): I wanted to get the game via RPS smuggling, so I was dependent on someone from the US coming online before the (potential) error was fixed...luckily, it worked, and so I got it for 75% off.

I had the same experience--a nice bit of challenging physics and relaxing ambience, until I hit a wall and couldn't get any further. I put the game down then and never returned. But remember it fondly.

I had the same experience (most people probably struggle a lot with the epicycles levels in particular - at least I did). I really suggest you return to it some time in the future. The creators of the game have a blog on their official website which explains clearly how the epicycles game works and various other tricks that arise from the physics-based rules of Osmos. Without the blog post describing the epicycles level, I could never have done it.

Faerie Solitaire (don't laugh it's good, dammit!)

The voice-"acting" and the story in general are atrocious (plus they managed to actually make it open-ended), but the game itself is actually quite neat. (I got the game in one of those 5-indie-games-for-5-euros deals in the last winter sale. I wonder why those weren't available this time around? Perhaps the indie developers didn't want to see their games being devalued that much?)

I kind of wanted the Portal 2 gear, even though it's pretty silly, especially as I don't even have the game yet, but it's hard work getting the 2 tickets I still need for it (would be easy if I had any Steam friends, but as it is I can only get the tickets by playing and I've done the less impossible ones already).

If you still want it, friend MondSemmel on Steam. I'd be glad to help. I think there's at least one ticket each for commenting on a friend's screenshot and on a friend's profile page.

Similar
10-07-2011, 12:35 PM
If you still want it, friend MondSemmel on Steam. I'd be glad to help. I think there's at least one ticket each for commenting on a friend's screenshot and on a friend's profile page.
aw. Thank you.

Mophooft
10-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Spent 83 euro's in total.

Terraria
Sanctum
GTA 4 Complete
Jamestown
Killing Floor + DLC
Trine
Defense Grid + DLC
Torchlight
Bioshock 1 + 2
Zen Bound 2
Greed Corp
Hoard
Magicka Complete
Just Cause 2 + DLC
Garry's Mod
The Mawesome Pack
Line Rider 2: Unbound
Lead and Gold
Beat Hazard Ultra

And some free stuff from those camp activities.

amandachen
10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Faerie Solitaire:
The voice-"acting" and the story in general are atrocious (plus they managed to actually make it open-ended), but the game itself is actually quite neat. (I got the game in one of those 5-indie-games-for-5-euros deals in the last winter sale. I wonder why those weren't available this time around? Perhaps the indie developers didn't want to see their games being devalued that much?

If you like Faerie Solitaire then look out for a game called Fairway Solitaire. It's got the same game mechanics but a bit more complexity and depth to it. A bit. The golf theme does nothing for me, but the underlying game is very addictive.

Vague-rant
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
With 5 hours left;

King Arthur Druids DLC - 1.20
Worms - 4.50
TLJ + Dreamfall - 3.74
Spacechem - 3.01
Dragon Age Ultimate - 8.50
Stalker Clear Sky - 2.00

Total of 22.95. Huh, Less than I feared actually. Thinking about buying the 2008 Prince of Persia before final call, anyone have any advice?

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Thinking about buying the 2008 Prince of Persia before final call, anyone have any advice?

If you don't mind some stiffness in your platformers (each jumping sequence has a single solution that is made clear to you) it's worth it. The art direction is fantastic and the non-linearity of it is nice. Story is decent. I quite liked it.

I'm really torn of SupCom2 and NWN2...

RobF
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Prepare for one of the most beautiful looking games of the past 5/6 years with massive caveats.

It's worth it for the pretties and there's some good ideas in there but it's very, very flawed. Having the protagonist be a complete wanker certainly doesn't help things along and is one of the most nonsensical design decisions you'll come across. ArrogantEmoPrickOfPersia would be more accurate.

The controls and level designs are always just that little bit more cumbersome than they should be and it's got the Ubisoft habit of stealing control from you far too often to tell you a shit story.

But! It's bloody gorgeous and at that price, I'd duck in for that alone.

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Despite having just watched the F1 and being excited and it being a cheap price, I'll wait till F1 2011 is out and pick up 2010 at a hopefully reduced price at retail. He says, optimistically.

So a good game at a marked down price for me would have to be VVVVVV. It's a great retro platformer that is challenging, but not overly hard. Its story takes 2-3 hours, but it has good replayability as well as bonus modes, so it can easily occupy your time. It'll also run on almost anything.

Vandelay
10-07-2011, 03:12 PM
It's worth it for the pretties and there's some good ideas in there but it's very, very flawed. Having the protagonist be a complete wanker certainly doesn't help things along and is one of the most nonsensical design decisions you'll come across. ArrogantEmoPrickOfPersia would be more accurate.

To be fair, the Prince is a dick in all of the modern games. However, his arrogance is an important part of his character, which develops across all of the Sands of Time trilogy. As Prince of Persia (2008) was kind of a reboot, it makes sense to go back to the start of his character.

Think I'll hold of on getting this time though. I've bought Forgotten Sands, which should do for now.

Was Lego Star Wars one of the daily deals? Might pick up the Complete Saga for £10, if it doesn't appear today. Will probably also get Garry's Mod.

TillEulenspiegel
10-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm really torn of SupCom2 and NWN2...
Supreme Commander 2 is a perfectly acceptable, bog standard RTS. If that's what you're looking for, the price is right. I remember the PC Gamer (UK) podcast guys really liked it. It's nothing like the original Supreme Commander, though.

I'd skip NWN2 and just play BG2 again. It's an ok implementation of the D&D 3.5 rules, but the campaign is terrible. Might be worth it if you're interested in multiplayer and making/playing custom modules.

Basilicus
10-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Didn't like Supreme Command 2 much myself. Nothing's particularly bad about it. It's ordinary in just about every single way a game can possibly be ordinary - nothing more, nothing less. Never played the first one, though.

I'm getting much more enjoyment out of my Total Annihilation purchase a few months back.

thegooseking
10-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I'd skip NWN2 and just play BG2 again. It's an ok implementation of the D&D 3.5 rules, but the campaign is terrible. Might be worth it if you're interested in multiplayer and making/playing custom modules.

NWN2 is an Obsidian game, with all that entails. Terrific world, but they don't like to make it clear what you're supposed to do, not at all. If you thought Fallout: New Vegas was better than Fallout 3, you might think NWN2 is better than the original NWN. On the other hand, if the sheer lack of direction in New Vegas frustrated you, then you'll probably hate NWN2. Personally, I'm undecided.

vinraith
10-07-2011, 03:44 PM
NWN2's base campaign is ok, but it goes on too long. Mask of the Betrayer, however, is brilliant, and Storm of Zehir is a lot of fun too.

if the sheer lack of direction in New Vegas frustrated youNow that's funny. I was rather frustrated at the excess of direction in New Vegas compared to Fallout 3 and previous Bethesda titles.

thegooseking
10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Now that's funny. I was rather frustrated at the excess of direction in New Vegas compared to Fallout 3 and previous Bethesda titles.

Well, it's a bit of both. It's true I felt directed to deal with Mr. House or that other robot. But that's kind of what I mean: I didn't realise that siding with the NCR was even an option, because I didn't happen to come across the thing in-game that would have told me that. In Fallout 3, it was very clear how one part of the main story led to the next, even if there was a lot of other stuff to do that wasn't related. In New Vegas, a lot more was somehow related to the main story, but how it was related wasn't really so clear.

vinraith
10-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Well, it's a bit of both. It's true I felt directed to deal with Mr. House or that other robot. But that's kind of what I mean: I didn't realise that siding with the NCR was even an option, because I didn't happen to come across the thing in-game that would have told me that. In Fallout 3, it was very clear how one part of the main story led to the next, even if there was a lot of other stuff to do that wasn't related. In New Vegas, a lot more was somehow related to the main story, but how it was related wasn't really so clear.

Fair enough, I probably shouldn't talk being as I haven't finished it (waiting for that new patch, and a new version of Project Nevada, before a fresh start). I was just very surprised by not only being directed to Mr. House et. al. but having the path waypointed for me by the game (go to Primm, now to to the NCR camp, etc etc). It's true though that while the path is well defined, the options are not, which makes it feel more confined than it actually is.

TillEulenspiegel
10-07-2011, 04:47 PM
NWN2 is an Obsidian game, with all that entails. Terrific world
It's just Forgotten Realms, or rather a tiny slice thereof. The world is Ed Greenwood's, the plot and the depiction of specific locations are Obsidian's. I think both are pretty crap.

but they don't like to make it clear what you're supposed to do, not at all.
Not sure what you mean. There's a main quest, and you follow it, and follow it, and follow it. There's a whole lot of dull backtracking, but your quest journal is always pretty clear. I'm most of the way through Act 2 and I've yet to engage my brain.

Danny252
10-07-2011, 05:01 PM
For me, SupCom2 felt like it didn't take itself seriously. The units were all brightly painted and "pretty", and half looked like they were made out of lego - about the only relation to SupCom1 was the faction names and backgrounds.

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
For me, SupCom2 felt like it didn't take itself seriously.

That sounds pretty good to me. I took a look at the unit list -- a gun that shoots tanks? An aircraft carrier that can grow legs and scuttle onto land? A Kraken-submarine? Sounds fun!

I bought it, $6 is a pretty fair deal for what amounts to a box of crazy robot toys.

Now to see the last of the daily deals (or repeats) and pick up the non-dailys.

field_studies
10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
(Re: Osmos) I had the same experience (most people probably struggle a lot with the epicycles levels in particular - at least I did). I really suggest you return to it some time in the future. The creators of the game have a blog on their official website which explains clearly how the epicycles game works and various other tricks that arise from the physics-based rules of Osmos. Without the blog post describing the epicycles level, I could never have done it.

Thanks, I'll certainly do this. There's probably an interesting article to be written here, about what a 'casual game' really is. I was happy to lose myself in the immersive ambience of Osmos, even play it for an hour after intending 'just a quick five minutes', but it never occurred to me to search for strategy tips. I suppose I expect casual games to teach me everything I need to know to play them themselves. Which is a position I can't really defend.

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
So today is the very last day of the sale. Any prizes to claim are to be done so within the next 24 hours and indeed, today is very much the best off. Any other games that are on sale, now is the time to do so! I'll update the OP with this best off which includes Magicka, Bad Company 2, Portal 2, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher 2 and many more.

deano2099
10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Dawn of War Retribution is 75% off! Was only 50% off the first day of the daily deals I think. Likely a miss-price, get it while you can...

Flint
10-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Fallout: New Vegas is tempting me. On one hand, I can't stand Fallout 3 because it was such a mindnumbingly shallow experience. On the other hand, this is supposed to be much better in that regard with what being by Obsidian and the -75% price reduction is probably the lowest it'll go. Hmm.

y2rich
10-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Despite having just watched the F1 and being excited and it being a cheap price, I'll wait till F1 2011 is out and pick up 2010 at a hopefully reduced price at retail. He says, optimistically.

Theres a 2011 Total Conversion out for 10 already. Well worth picking up, especially with an AI patch.

deano2099
10-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Fallout: New Vegas is tempting me. On one hand, I can't stand Fallout 3 because it was such a mindnumbingly shallow experience. On the other hand, this is supposed to be much better in that regard with what being by Obsidian and the -75% price reduction is probably the lowest it'll go. Hmm.

While it's probably the lowest it'll go, the goatee version with all the DLC is due by the end of the year and will probably be at 75% off again in the Christmas sale.

dsdan
10-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Now comes the real wallet hurt, where I pick up all the <$5 games (particularly point-n-click adventures) that catch my eye.

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Darn, if you'd have said that 15 minutes ago, that might've convinced me. Ohwell! I'll wait till it comes down in price after 2011 comes out.

ComradePenguin
10-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Has anyone tried Greed Corp? Looks pretty charming for £2 (or £1.50 if you go 4 pack crazy) but feel I should check if it is any good before adding it to my pile of cheap last day purchases.

TillEulenspiegel
10-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Looks like it's time to jump on Bloodlines. And maybe Hinterland. Hm.

Anyone played Children of the Nile? I'm itching for a decent city builder.

Faldrath
10-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Surprised to see Two Worlds II in the "best of" list. Any opinions on that one?

Flint
10-07-2011, 06:20 PM
While it's probably the lowest it'll go, the goatee version with all the DLC is due by the end of the year and will probably be at 75% off again in the Christmas sale.
Are any of the DLCs really worth bothering with, adding anything really spectacular/important to the game? Not really the sort of person who gets excited over your usual DLC fare.

deano2099
10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Dawn of War Retribution is 75% off! Was only 50% off the first day of the daily deals I think. Likely a miss-price, get it while you can...

And now fixed and back up to just 50% off.

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 06:26 PM
What are the legal ramifications of these pricing botches, I wonder? Take Terraria, which yesterday was $2.50 for hours, when the "correct" price was $5.00. Steam tells us that publishers set the prices, so I'm sure the Terraria guys told them 50% was the discount they wanted. Selling it for lower than that, and for several hours (and for a game I know many people were waiting for a sale for...) That's a lot of money the Terraria company missed out on. :(

As for me, I can finally pick up Drakensang: River of Time, and... maybe Aquaria. Maybe.

piggydiggy
10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
And now fixed and back up to just 50% off.

Gah, I was just looking at reviews for it, no-point buying it now.

Christian
10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Surprised to see Two Worlds II in the "best of" list. Any opinions on that one?

I bought it, but haven't played much of it, so I can't say anything about the later game. My impressions so far:

It's pretty enough and seems to be pretty open-world, meaning you can run around in a quite large area (after the tutorial mission). The magic system seems to be interesting, you are able to create your own spells using a combination of cards you put into an amulet (so you have a fire card, and a force card and that makes a fireball, you add some modifiers to it etc.), so that's something that sounds like some fun. You can dual-wield weapons and the fighting seems ok so far.
The story is so-so, not very interesting and mediocre told so far.

The controls are ok, I'm just annoyed that if you have a controller plugged in, you can't switch to kb&m-controlls. And the riding, oh god, the riding is soo awful.

Not sure if I'm not a little disappointed for that price. So if you really enjoyed he Witcher 2, don't get it. If you preferred something like Gothic, you might give it a try.

The JG Man
10-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Legally, nothing for the consumers. So long as it was Valve's mistake...it's hard to tell. In that time, they might have got far more sales than they would have done at the intended discount that would've off-set the lost costs, so to speak. They'll probably leave it, but again, if it was Valve's mistake, tell them to buck up.

Just like to say thanks to the many people that shared their opinions, provided reviews for a multitude of people, including myself, as well as pointing out games on offer. Fantastic job.

Miker
10-07-2011, 06:31 PM
My haul:

Spacechem $5
Frozen Synapse $6.25
Jamestown $5
Terraria $2.50 (yay for price mistakes!)
Dawn of War II: Retribution $7.50 (yay for price mistakes again!)

Total haul: 26.25 for 5 games. Not too shabby.

amandachen
10-07-2011, 06:33 PM
And the riding, oh god, the riding is soo awful.
You're lucky you didn't get to the sailing yet.

piggydiggy
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Has anyone got any suggestions for great deals aside from the daily deals?

icupnimpn2
10-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Has anyone tried Greed Corp? Looks pretty charming for £2 (or £1.50 if you go 4 pack crazy) but feel I should check if it is any good before adding it to my pile of cheap last day purchases.

It just so happens I wrote this up for the "recommend a game" ticket:

"Hex-based strategy game with a simple rule set and symmetrical teams. Destroy the map for resources and to trap opponents. Scratches the competitive board game itch nicely and mechanics are reasonably easy to grasp. End game can become a little tedious as giant stacks are isolated on the map. That just means you should act sooner on the next go"

I can add a little. There is no randomness that I recall in combat. The bigger unit stack wins. There's really only one type of unit that I saw, though you can also place some buildings, including the resource generators that also serve as weapons to destroy landscape and drop units off of the map. I had some frustration trying to understand the air transportation mechanic - thought it made sense in the tutorial but couldn't get it to work in the game until I had an "aha" moment.

I think it's worth the asking price if you want something a little bit like an odd, stripped down Risk.

Xercies
10-07-2011, 06:50 PM
And there Portal 2 is again, tempting me. Always tempting me.

Flint
10-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Got New Vegas. Final total: a bit under £20 spent and gained four games and two expansions. Not bad.

Christian
10-07-2011, 07:02 PM
And there Portal 2 is again, tempting me. Always tempting me.

Same here. But I've got so many games from this sale (just the three Assasins Creed I just bought will take some time) to play right now that it's an option to just wait another two, three moths for the next big sale and pick it up for 15,- then..

Christian
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
You're lucky you didn't get to the sailing yet.

Oh my...So I'll have to stop playing this game or it will cause real physical pain? At least there's no flying (or is there?)..

Christian
10-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah, I don't know if someone mentioned it already, but thanks for this great thread and that's a great thread-title. Love the reference.

Kaira-
10-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Kinda disappointed to the sales this summer, only bought Frozen Synapse and Terraria. I was expecting Portal 2 to be much cheaper. :(

Vandelay
10-07-2011, 07:30 PM
And Garry's Mod at £1.49 and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga for £10.04 is where I will end this sale.

Just want to share The JG Man's and Christian's appreciation for all of the contributions to the thread. Now lets all not buy any games again until the Christmas sale (yeah, right!)

dsdan
10-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I was expecting Portal 2 to be much cheaper. :(
In all fairness, Portal 2 came out less than 3 months ago. I was pleasantly surprised that the sale price was as low as it was.

Giaddon
10-07-2011, 08:08 PM
OK, final purchases:
Drakensang: River of Time
Aquaria
Sanctum
Everyday Shooter

For my final prize I was debating between two horse armors: the gold ship in Beat Hazard which only I would ever see, or the Steampunk Character pack in Killing Floor which I would never see.

I won't tell you which one I chose. I have to keep a little mystery.

EDIT: Oh man, Everyday Shooter is awesome. For $2.50 it's very much worth it if you are interested in aesthetics and games.

Faldrath
10-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I only really got New Vegas and Dirt 3 (and some Civ V DLC for my wife). Kinda wondering whether to pick up Just Cause 2 and Vampire: Bloodlines.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
So sickedend I missed SpaceCem. Got home from work 9 minutes too late to get the sale.
Another time, prehaps.

8-bit
10-07-2011, 09:37 PM
For my final prize I was debating between two horse armors: the gold ship in Beat Hazard which only I would ever see, or the Steampunk Character pack in Killing Floor which I would never see.

beat hazard has online multiplayer now and the gold ship will show up for other people to see, or so I heard...

you cant gift tickets can you, its a shame because I have three spare, seems like a waste not to use them. I kind of wish I picked up space chem when it was three quid now, oh well.

but.

upon further inspection fate of the world is a fiver, looks very interesting, and has the most wonderful logo for a game that I have seen in years. we like fate of the world around these parts don't we?

laneford
10-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I hate Valve.

I think this lot ended up at about £40.

10 Jul 2011
£8.29
Purchase
Garry's Mod, The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, Windosill, Tiny Bang Story

10 Jul 2011
Free
Purchase
Summer Sale Prize - Team Fortress 2 Item

10 Jul 2011
£4.48
Purchase
Hitman: Blood Money, Terraria

10 Jul 2011
Free
Purchase
Summer Sale Prize - A.R.E.S. DLC

10 Jul 2011
Free
Purchase
Summer Sale Prize - Portal 2 Item

9 Jul 2011
Free
Purchase
Summer Sale Prize - Fate of the World DLC

9 Jul 2011
Free
Purchase
Summer Sale Prize - SpaceChem DLC

9 Jul 2011
Free
Purchase
Summer Sale Prize - Dawn of War 2: Retribution DLC

8 Jul 2011
£18.61
Purchase
Audiosurf, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, Company of Heroes Complete Pack, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising, Lara Croft GOL, Sanctum

3 Jul 2011
£0.76
Purchase
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 1, Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 2, Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 3, Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 4

2 Jul 2011
£3.74
Purchase
The Heroes Pack

30 Jun 2011
£3.50
Purchase
BIT.TRIP.BEAT, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER

Christian
10-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I only really got New Vegas and Dirt 3 (and some Civ V DLC for my wife). Kinda wondering whether to pick up Just Cause 2 and Vampire: Bloodlines.

If you enjoy very open-world games with beautiful graphics, grappling hooks and unlimited parachutes and blowing stuff up if you feel like it just a little, go and buy Just Cause 2. For 5,- this is really an offer no one should refuse.. it really is enjoyable.

Also, anything that has a warning message "Does not require a Games For Windows Live account." on the Steam store page should be an instant purchase.

dsdan
10-07-2011, 10:32 PM
go and buy Just Cause 2
Seconded, with the extra advice that you should play on an easier difficulty level to enhance its ridiculous fun-ness.

field_studies
10-07-2011, 11:48 PM
If you enjoy very open-world games with beautiful graphics, grappling hooks and unlimited parachutes and blowing stuff up if you feel like it just a little, go and buy Just Cause 2. For 5,- this is really an offer no one should refuse.. it really is enjoyable.

Should one bother with the very-cheap DLCs?

dsdan
10-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Should one bother with the very-cheap DLCs?
They're just extra guns and cars--no extra gameplay or functionality. So unless you are a horse armor kind of person, I'd vote no.

Oak
11-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Seconded, with the extra advice that you should play on an easier difficulty level to enhance its ridiculous fun-ness.

This is good advice, and worth repeating in bold text. Do not play Just Cause 2 on anything but casual difficulty. Normal difficulty tends to frustrate any creative or unusual approach to a mission. Casual doesn't make the game especially easy; it just gives you the wiggle room to enjoy the options it has on offer.

vinraith
11-07-2011, 12:03 AM
There's almost universal accord that the aerial pack is worth getting, specifically for the parachute jets.

vinraith
11-07-2011, 12:04 AM
This is good advice, and worth repeating in bold text. Do not play Just Cause 2 on anything but casual difficulty. Normal difficulty tends to frustrate any creative or unusual approach to a mission. Casual doesn't make the game especially easy; it just gives you the wiggle room to enjoy the options it has on offer.

In practical terms what's the difference between the difficulty levels? I haven't been having an especially hard time on normal, but am not that far into the game, am I going to regret not playing on casual later? I get bored if a game's too easy...

Vandelay
11-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Blimey, just calculated how much I've spent. Just under £100!

Still 16 games/packs and and a couple of DLCs for that much isn't to be sniffed at.

sopabuena
11-07-2011, 12:20 AM
OK maybe a last sale for me: Borderlands or Terraria?
A list of the games I bought during the sale may help with the advice:

Ben There, Dan That / Time Gentlemen, Please!
Machinarium
Hydrophobia
Armed & Dangerous
Garry's Mod
Alien Vs. Predator
GTA IV Complete Pack
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
Batman Arkaham Asylum
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Fallout 3

Maybe I bought too many games already...

Xercies
11-07-2011, 12:20 AM
upon further inspection fate of the world is a fiver, looks very interesting, and has the most wonderful logo for a game that I have seen in years. we like fate of the world around these parts don't we?

No! You had to say that didn't you! Must resist...buying...it!

field_studies
11-07-2011, 12:27 AM

Agreed on the logo. I've only put a few hours into the game so far, but at first blush it seems complicated and refined enough to keep me engaged for a while, plus it's doing something novel... enjoyed the discussion of it on these boards, re: the experience of playing a game both this bleak and this non-escapist.

The JG Man
11-07-2011, 12:29 AM
In terms of difficulty for Just Cause 2, I believe the modifiers are regarding damage you take, enemy health (or your damage, not that it makes too much difference) and how quickly it is to lose that attention...stat. Oh lord, I'm going to end up double dipping for JC2, aren't I? Sigh.

fitzroy_doll
11-07-2011, 12:30 AM
the NPCs feel generic and without any personality, the world is rather bland and you'll see the same 2-3 "broken car" models and the very same "table", "chair" and "computer terminal" all over the wasteland.

Hmmm. I am beginning to regret buying this, but will see when I play it. Should have gone for Mass Effect 1 and 2 instead.

Giaddon
11-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Alright, the final tally, by genre:

=RPG=
Risen
Drakensang: River of Time
Oblivion (from Direct2Drive)
Recettear
Hinterland

=Strategy=
Kohan Warchest (from Direct2Drive)
Supreme Commander 2
Delve Deeper
Command and Conquer 4
Sanctum

=Action=
The Force Unleashed II
Killing Floor

=Arcade=
Jamestown
Aquaria
Beat Hazard
Bit.Trip Runner
Everyday Shooter

=Puzzle=
SpaceChem
Zen Bound 2

Er... yeah. No more new games for a long, long time, I think.

Christian
11-07-2011, 12:54 AM
In practical terms what's the difference between the difficulty levels? I haven't been having an especially hard time on normal, but am not that far into the game, am I going to regret not playing on casual later? I get bored if a game's too easy...

The difficulty is a bit strange in this game (but not in a really bad way). The most noticeable effect will be that the alert level goes up much faster, so you'll end up being swarmed by helicopters sooner. Also, as has been mentioned, you take more damage, more backup arrives etc..
Also, as your Chaos-level rises, the game gets harder because more guards spawn and I had the impression that they react more quickly to your presence.

I found normal to be quite ok for a semi-casual approach, it was demanding but not frustrating. I started another game with a higher difficulty and that was a challenge, tending to me slightly unfair..but I guess still manageable with a bit more focus and determination.

So I'd suggest easy for just enjoying the sights, normal or one above that for really playing the game.

Oak
11-07-2011, 01:00 AM

What JG Man said, I think. Your mileage may vary, but I regretted choosing normal a couple big missions in after finding myself dying easily and constantly (and, of nearly equal annoyance, having to find cover constantly).

Christian
11-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I just bought this..and honestly I don't know what's going on.

Should I care, am I missing something essential and should I play the first one first (Got that with the bundle, but I've read that it can get quite repetitive)? Or is this just the beginning and the game starts to develop a story of it's own that can be followed without deeper knowledge of the first part?

Also:
Ok, it was a bit surprising that I had to register, but I did expect that much. But that it comes with a separate launcher and achievements and all..and seems to take care of updates itself, that's strange after being used to Steam handling all of that.
Also, it does seem to do a bad job in teaching you how to play. I'm playing with an xbox-controller, and it hints at the buttons I have to press but I still end up mashing everything and hoping something useful happens. But I guess this will improve..or does it get more complex than freerunning by holding one (or two?) buttons and fighting by either hitting someone or grabbing them and throwing them off buildings?

But so far I guess this might be fun, looks pretty and the running and climbing feels ok. The menus are a bit annoying, but luckily they're out of sight most of the time.

[tl;dr]
Should I care about AC1 to enjoy AC2?

[edit]
Also, what's it with those rewards? Do I get points for some achievement in-game that I can spend on stuff I can use in the game? So a sort of DLC purchasable by playing the game?

vinraith
11-07-2011, 01:10 AM
@Christian

AC2 starts several hundred of years after the original, with a new main character. There's no need to have any knowledge of the original game to understand it. You wouldn't understand the opening sequences any more having played the original, they're just setting up Ezio's family relations and the current situation in the city of Florence.

AC2's only relation to the original game are historical references, essentially, to the main character of AC1 (Altair). You're told essentially everything you need to know about him in AC2, though (which isn't much).

Edit: Crap, you're talking about the sci fi overlayer aren't you? Yeah, you probably would have to at least read a summary of the original game to understand that, but the beginning of the game is the most you'll see of it and it's not particularly important or interesting.

The JG Man
11-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I'd say the first hour or so of AC2 is pretty weak in terms of letting you know what the hell is going on. It introduces a very basic tutorial, but the main tutorial comes later on when you can optionally talk to someone to try out (or pay for training on certain things) basic and advanced combat techniques. After the introduction, you go to another location and you'll be able to do it there. I don't want to say any more least I spoil what happens, but hopefully it should be fairly clear.

Back to Just Cause 2, I strongly recommend that you complete the story. Once you finish it off, you get access to everything else anyhow, so you don't 'lose' access to anything. Why finish off the story? The last few missions are so bloody ridiculous they're simply marvellous to play. It all goes a bit James Bond and the final sequence itself is just so, so insane you can't help but go "Holy crap, I'm actually playing a game where the developers thought this up as something you can do." I honestly can't say any more than that.

deano2099
11-07-2011, 01:16 AM
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER £3.49
Lume £1.70
Dwarfs!? £3.99
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution £7.99
The Last Remnant (SEL) £4.99
Sanctum £2.49
Lara Croft GOL £2.49
Guardians of Graxia Elves and Dwarves Expansion £0.99
Atom Zombie Smasher £1.79
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame Druids DLC £0.99
Darksiders £4.99
HOARD £2.09
Spectromancer: Truth and Beauty £1.49
Paradox Fantasy Pack £5.89
Hamiltons Great Adventure £3.99
Mata Hari £3.99
Secret Files: Puritas Cordis £3.99
Hacker Evolution: Untold £2.74
Spectromancer: League of Heroes £1.49
The Heroes Pack £3.74
Jagged Alliance 2 / Disciples II Gold Combo £4.49

FREEBIES:
Summer Sale Prize - Portal 2 Item
Summer Sale Prize - SpaceChem DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Winter Voices DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Magicka DLC
Summer Sale Prize - X3 Terran Conflict DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Dawn of War 2: Retribution DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Fate of the World DLC
Summer Sale Prize - Alien Breed 2

Gifts:
Lara Croft GOL £2.49
Time Gentlemen, Please £0.74

Total damage: £73.03

No more new games. Except for Deus Ex.

outoffeelinsobad
11-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Anyone played Puzzle Chronicles? Should I get it?

TheLastBaron
11-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Just about to pick up JC2 and DoWII:Retribution, pretty mad I wasn't paying attention and missed SpaceChem, but I have more than enough games so I'll live.

field_studies
11-07-2011, 03:47 AM
(re: AC2) I just bought this..and honestly I don't know what's going on.

Should I care, am I missing something essential and should I play the first one first (Got that with the bundle, but I've read that it can get quite repetitive)? Or is this just the beginning and the game starts to develop a story of it's own that can be followed without deeper knowledge of the first part?

I'm in exactly the same situation, though i suppose I've just blithely moved through the first hour assuming all would be explained later. But the whole sci-fi overlay came as a surprise having watched trailers etc and expecting a thoroughly (silly) historical drama. Still, the opening scene with the baby you as a means to learn the controls? That might be the single weirdest beginning to a big-budget action game I've ever experienced (read: I love it).

Giaddon
11-07-2011, 04:17 AM
(I might have slunk back for Bullet Candy and Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved)

Edit: (Had I done that, I might be able to tell you that Bullet Candy sucks but Geometry Wars is awesome)

Jamison Dance
11-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Since we are putting in our totals:

Plants vs Zombies
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword
Atom Zombie Smasher
Counterstrike: Source

M&B and Atom Zombie Smasher are the unexpected gems of the bunch. PvZ was known to be addicting and awesome, and I have wanted to get the Bioshocks just to experience them, but they are going into the backlog most likely. CS:S is an exercise in frustration so far. I fear I am too late to the party to ever be anything but headshot fodder in that game. This was a good sale though. I spent under $30, and I don't feel like I wasted money on anything.

Miker
11-07-2011, 05:19 AM
For those who missed Retribution at $7.50, Amazon is selling it for that price. It's Steamworks. That might be US-only though.

Olero
11-07-2011, 07:49 AM
I won't be needing any games soon:

- Ben there, Dan that
- Time gentlemen, please
- Monkey island adventures (all episodes)
- King's Bounty (the Legend, Armoured princess + Crossworlds)
- Command & Conquer 3 + expansion
- Red Alert 3 + expansion
- Command & Conquer 4
- Dead money & Honest hearts (Fallout New Vegas DLC's)
- Reccetear
- Fate of the World
- Oblivion (goty deluxe edition)
- VVVVVV
- Tiny Bang story
- The longest journey + dreamfall
- Fallout 3 goty edition
- Magicka complete pack
- Winter voices (all episodes)
- Supreme commander 2
- Neverwinter nights 2 platinum
- Terraria

And I already had Oblivion and Fallout 3! (but not the expansions/DLC's). Total damage moneywise is around 100,- Euro I'm afraid

Vexing Vision
11-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I kind of bought some items I don't want to play, but I felt like I need to support the devs or own it to have a full collection

My total damage is:

AI War:Fleet Command
Alpha Protocol
Amnesa (this is one I probably won't play because I like having fun in my games, not heartattacks, but it's way too good not to own)
Audiosurf (A pure curiousity-buy)
Bully
Darksiders
Hitman: Blood Money (Wouldn't have been my choice, but everyone shouted at me to buy this)
Just Cause 2 (Same as Hitman!)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (times two for internet coop gaming)
Mount & Blade, the full package
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem (Not going to play it, probably, but I want to tell publishers that there's a market for this kind of games. Now give me Interstate again!)
Sanctum
SpaceChem (From the amount of hours I put into this, SpaceChem alone would have been enough this sale.)
Supreme Commander 2 (Not going to find the time to play...)
Terraria (After I've never bought Minecraft, I figured I'd need at least ONE of these games in my game list. Probably not going to play, either. I'm too busy with Dwarf Fortress if I'm in the mood for this.)
Worms Reloaded

I have no idea how much I spent on this, but I am glad I already had Dawn of War 2 plus all expansions, RUSE and Magicka.

KauhuK
11-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I bought Just Cause 2 when it came at full retail price. It has been worth every Cent (euro cent). I would have wanted DLC mission packs for it but they just put more guns and vehicles. Also I had to buy New Vegas dlc:s now that they were in sale once again even though I dont have the game installed and am playing Fallout 3 with Fallout Wanderers Edition mod.

P7uen
11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
8 Games in total, but only 3 of those were bought after getting home drunk, which is an improvement over xmas/new year totals.

Bebop Bob
11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
To anyone doubting whether to buy Assasin's creed 2, it's 3,70 on gamersgate as a daily deal http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-AC2/assassins-creed-2

Schaulustiger
11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I was a bit greedy this year:

Arsenal of Democracy
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
Hearts of Iron III: Semper Fi
Hearts of Iron III: For the Motherland
SpaceChem
Dark Messiah: Might and Magic
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East
Heroes of Might and Magic V: Hammers of Fate
Tropico 3 - Steam Special Edition
Wings of Prey
King Arthur: Collection
Zen Bound® 2
Atom Zombie Smasher
Bejeweled 3
Elven Legacy
Elven Legacy: Magic
Elven Legacy: Siege
Elven Legacy: Ranger,
Majesty: Gold Edition
Majesty 2 Collection

Christian
11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
@Christian

AC2 starts several hundred of years after the original, with a new main character. There's no need to have any knowledge of the original game to understand it. You wouldn't understand the opening sequences any more having played the original,[...]

Aah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: Crap, you're talking about the sci fi overlayer aren't you? Yeah, you probably would have to at least read a summary of the original game to understand that, but the beginning of the game is the most you'll see of it and it's not particularly important or interesting.

I started the first one anyway and at least that one had a tutorial (the controls are nice, so that wasn't necessary) and explained the basics quite well, so I now at least know more about what's going on in the background.

I'd say the first hour or so of AC2 is pretty weak in terms of letting you know what the hell is going on. It introduces a very basic tutorial, but the main tutorial comes later on [...]

It really is..it just puts you somewhere, drops a lot of names and places on you and doesn't give you very much background. I think it doesn't really need a large tutorial gameplay-wise, but the background should have been better explained.
But as vinraith points out, it seems to create its own background, so I'm fine I guess.

Back to Just Cause 2, I strongly recommend that you complete the story. [...] It all goes a bit James Bond and the final sequence itself is just so, so insane you can't help but go "Holy crap, I'm actually playing a game where the developers thought this up as something you can do."

This. The last few missions and locations are really something. Great stuff, worth playing through the whole thing.

[..] Still, the opening scene with the baby you as a means to learn the controls? That might be the single weirdest beginning to a big-budget action game I've ever experienced (read: I love it).

Hehe, yes. That was pretty weird. But in a good way.
The opening of the first part is also quite disturbing and very well made. The first 5 minutes are just "what the hell is going on here?" followed by a big "aah, now I get it!".

Also, the first game really doesn't want you to leave..you need about 8 clicks to exit the game and it takes forever. I've read about this at release but didn't think it was so bad..

[...]
M&B and Atom Zombie Smasher are the unexpected gems of the bunch. [...]

Yes, those two (esp. AZS) really are pearls. I knew the first M&B and I think Warband is a fine extension to it. I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price, but as a bargain it's just a fitting upgrade to the vanilla M&B.
And Atom Zombie Smasher is a timesink. Great music, easy mechanics that are so hard to master. It's frustrating so have made a nice plan only to see that you've overlooked a passage and have a big group of harmless yellow people-blips waiting around the LZ turn into zombies in a second because one single zombie managed to get to them..punishing but mostly fair (never had the feeling that it wasn't my fault).

So my last-minute recommendations would be AC2 (great production values and free-roaming), AZS and Just Cause 2. Maybe BFBC2 if you're into multiplayer.

Jams O'Donnell
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Hmm, need to scour the non-daily deals now for any gems that I might want, though I don't want to spend very much. Any recommendations for lesser-known good deals?

Shamefully, I'm disappointed Lego Harry Potter wasn't on sale at all.

Icarus
11-07-2011, 10:28 AM
@Christian:

You're right, the opening of AssCreed 2 does namedrop a lot of places and names. I think some of the events it refers to are covered in the 'Lineage' prequel short that Ubisoft made and put out. Here's the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct2kbLBuSOg

Enjoy. It's actually pretty slick and the actors genuinely look like their in-game counterparts.

Edit: And the Macguffin you end up looking for in the second game is the same 'Templar treasure' Macguffin from the first.

Casimir Effect
11-07-2011, 11:59 AM
AssCreed 2 is well worth sticking with even if you don't get what's happening in the futurey bits. I'm one of the people who really liked the original AC game but the leap in quality between the two means I can probably never play the original again, even though it's good.

If you aren't a completionist then you can probably run through AC 1 in 15 hours, doing only minimal intelligence missions and ignoring all flags (pointless collectibles), Templars, Viewpoints etc.

The JG Man
11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I ran through AC1 in less than 15 hours. When you can keep it down to 2 objectives before an assassination, it starts to not take so long! It's acceptable for the story if you race through it, but really only the first little bit and last hour or so have anything meaningful in, although parts outside the Animus are fairly important. Similarly for me, the leap in quality of overall gameplay in Mass Effect 2 means I can't go back to 1, just like AC2 is that much better than AC1. I dislike how many collect-a-thons are in both games though. It just gets a bit silly. They reduced it 'slightly' from AC1, but it's still bad. Still, nowhere near as bad as Just Cause 2.

Also, I've just sunk and double dipped on Just Cause 2. It's too absurd. I need it. ARGHHHH. Damn you Steam! Damn you all to hell!

EDIT:

James O'Donnell - VVVVVV. Retro throwback platformer that takes about 2-3 hours to complete. Great replayability factor, some bonus stuff that's unlockable and some unbelievably good music. Personally, controls are a little floaty, but your mileage might vary on if that's acceptable or not. It's £2 and more than worth that.

Colonel J
11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Final tally:
Wings of Prey
Defence Grid: Awakening
Sanctum
Jamestown
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword (really like the little bit I've played of this, would never have gone for it at full price as the reviews in comparison with Warband were fairly lukewarm).
Beat Hazard Ultra
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Portal 2

Also Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics & Freespace 2 from GOG.

Pretty pleased with that lot for what i paid, all stuff that I really want to play soon. It took willpower to resist the temptation of the Dragon Age bundle and Drakensang, but I still have my free RPS comp prize of Divnity II: DKS to play and a queue of 3 big dragon-y RPGs seemed like two too many.

The only thing I've been hoping for on sale which hasn't appeared yet is Din's Curse & Demon War, maybe later in the summer.

Ian
11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, that should be all my spending done unless I do a last-minute cave and buy Vampire, so here's the damage for me:

Terraria, Mass Effect 2, Atom Zombie Smasher, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Defense Grid: The Awakening, Tropico 3 Gold, Call of Cthulhu, Bob Came in Pieces, Plain Sight

A sum total of £28.20. Very good value but my games backlog did not need another 10 games on it. :(

Icarus
11-07-2011, 01:02 PM
@Ian and anyone who is still on the fence about Vampire: Bloodlines, just do it. You won't regret it. It's very rare that the game is actually discounted at all, and it's of a high enough quality that I actually bought it twice- once on retail and then cheap on Steam when I lost one of the discs. Enough words have been written on why it's a great game, but 'Deus Ex + World of Darkness' should be sufficient.

Jams O'Donnell
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
So since people are announcing their tallies:

HOMMV pack
Sanctum
Atom Zombie Smasher
Frozen Synapse
Alpha Protocol
Stalker: Call of Pripyat (about damn time I got around to getting it)

Grand total: £26

Like Ian, my backlog didn't really need all this extra crap to deal with, but I'm sure I'll enjoy myself.

Jams O'Donnell
11-07-2011, 01:12 PM
@Ian and anyone who is still on the fence about Vampire: Bloodlines, just do it. You won't regret it. It's very rare that the game is actually discounted at all, and it's of a high enough quality that I actually bought it twice- once on retail and then cheap on Steam when I lost one of the discs. Enough words have been written on why it's a great game, but 'Deus Ex + World of Darkness' should be sufficient.
It also has a console command you can use to enlarge or reduce the size of ladies' bosoms. I found that setting it to about 0.8 made the ladies actually have vaguely realistic chests and not raging hormone gamer chests.

How many other games have that feature, eh?

moth bones
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
That's me done. £16.10 on these looks like good business.

Football Manager 11
Audiosurf
Terraria
Eufloria

Every time I try and redeem tickets for the Fate Of The World DLC it tells me to try again later, though. Anyone else having trouble?

Tikey
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I ended up buying:
Audiosurf
Sanctum
Ben there Dan that / Time gentlemen please!
Fate of the World
Just Cause 2
The Polynomial
Frozen Synapse
Beat Hazard Ultra

And I got a gifted copy of Alpha Protocol (Thanks Kadayi!)

I'm glad I don't have a credit card, otherwise I'd be broke right now.

Kelron
11-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Every time I try and redeem tickets for the Fate Of The World DLC it tells me to try again later, though. Anyone else having trouble?

That happened with the Guardians of Graxia one and it turned out it was because the prize was the map pack I already had.

ComradePenguin
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Gave in and bought Just Cause 2 after playing the demo. Is there any of the DLC that is worth it? I've heard a kind word for the Black Market Aerial Pack but know nothing of the rest.

Also how is the Vietnam DLC for Magika? Not a huge interest in the maps but an extra mission might be worth a pound or two.

Tikey
11-07-2011, 03:43 PM
The vietnam DLC is very -very- short but loads of fun.
The music alone justifies the cost.

moth bones
11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
That happened with the Guardians of Graxia one and it turned out it was because the prize was the map pack I already had.

Aha. Yes. Thanks, Kelron.

Similar
11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Gave in and bought Just Cause 2 after playing the demo. Is there any of the DLC that is worth it? I've heard a kind word for the Black Market Aerial Pack but know nothing of the rest.
I think the general consensus is that the Aerial pack is by far the most useful. The rest are a bit unnecessary (and a tad dumb in the case of the signature gun as you can't find ammo for it).

Giaddon
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
It's over! It's all over!

Goddamn sons of bitches burned it straight to helllllll!

DrOctagon
11-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Just made my last sale purchases, which brings my final list to:

And Yet it Moves
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
Bit.Trip.Runner
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition
Fallout: New Vegas (including Dead Money and Honest Hearts)
Gish
Jagged Alliance 2: Gold Edition
The Longest Journey
Mr. Robot
Painkiller: Black Edition
Sam and Max Complete
Sanctum
Trine
Zen Bound 2

Hey, I basically cleared my entire indie games wishlist, 'cept for Crayon Physics Deluxe, Nation Red and Defense Grid, which I'll save until the next major sale: ie - Black Friday (the treasure hunt) or Christmas. In total, I spent $74.65 or £46.99 - and at full retail price, I would have spent $300, so I effectively saved 75% on my entire purchase and I only made two impulse purchases (a mistake I made during last year's Christmas sale). Pretty much everything I wanted went on sale, except for Bulletstorm (damn you, EA!)

The JG Man
11-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Publisher packs are still on offer, perhaps only for another day but hey. Some fantastic value in some of them, particularly the THQ and Valve ones.

sabrage
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
What happened to my tickets? I don't think I spent any of them because none of the DLC particularly appealed, but curious nonetheless.

The JG Man
11-07-2011, 07:39 PM
They disappeared in terms of use to exchange for items. So long as you had 10 items in your wishlist, each one will be counted as an opportunity to win the grand prize of having your top 10 items on your wishlist given to you for free.

deano2099
11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
They're on your profile page still for now at least.

BenWah
11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
My Haul:

fallout 3 goty (already have NV goty)
Borderlands goty
atom zombie smasher
Kings's Bounty Crossworlds (had other 2)
GTA IV complete bundle
GTA classics (VC/SA)
Plants vs Zombies {fun!}
SpaceChem
Mount & Blade warband
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Recettear
Hinterland (won't run)
BitTrip Runner (whoops don't like it)
Lead and Gold
Solar 2
amnesia

Total cost: $80

Considered buying but didn't

Mafia 2
Killing floor
Civilization 5
Mount and Blade fire & sword
Sims 3
Total War Shogun 2

I probably should have bought some of those :(
When is the next big sale, halloween?
I screwed up and failed to buy the fallout classics selection for $10 before the sale ended :(

JamesG
11-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I think Steam's specials board is a bit broken:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7443/specials.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/specials.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

field_studies
11-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Any adventure game fans out there might be interested in the Meridian Adventure Pack that's still on sale today (and that I didn't see in this form during the regular sale?) for $20.

I haven't played the Still Life series, but really enjoyed the two Syberia games and particularly Scratches.

Aurelia
11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
96 quid spent and oodles of games added to the library. Damn you Steam and your tantalising deals I can't resist! I've bought Dead Space2, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Sanctum, Left4Dead, FrozenSynapse, AI War, Civ3, Stalker CS, Ruse, Star Ruler, AssassinsCreedBundleOfFun, PeggleComplete, Darksiders and SpaceChem.

So far I've done the first two maps of Sanctum (Just. One. More. Round!) and had to drag myself away from Peggle at silly o'clock the last couple of early mornings. Who knows, I may actually get round to trying the rest of the games at some point this year. So, bring on the Steam Christmas sale - I'm looking at you Bulletstorm, Alice and Fear3.

ColOfNature
12-07-2011, 01:32 AM
£54.20. From a budget of £50. It could have been much worse. And I still didn't get the two games I specifically wanted. Maybe D2D still has Bloodlines for cheap...

Edit: they do, but I've already spent my discretionary funds for this month. Damn you, Steam!

Veracity
13-07-2011, 07:35 PM
£14.98, most of it on Frozen Synapse. I might finally be reaching some kind of saturation point re: buying shite I'll never play. Unfortunately ruined it a bit by getting Terraria at full price shortly after it went off sale, but that's only another £6.