PDA

View Full Version : The Steam Summer Sale Thread of 2011 - My god. It's full of games.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The JG Man
30-06-2011, 06:18 PM
PLEASE READ FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT - Many games will be having further discounts when they are included as part of a daily deal. If you want a game, it is highly recommended that you wait until the last day(s) so that you can attain the best possible sale. If the game you want does not go on a further sale by that point, then is the time to buy it. This avoids depressing yourself on further missed savings!

This thread is designed to be updated with daily happenings and a general list of desirable discounted games. It also removes clutter from the PC Bargains thread. The discussion of games on sale is encouraged. Let's help everyone, eh?

The sale lasts from June 30th to July 10th and there will be daily deals on each. Recommended use of Ctrl+F on each page to find if a game you're interested in is being talked about.

For a very comprehensive and up-to-date list of the games on general sale, please use SavyGamer (http://savygamer.co.uk/2011/06/30/steam-summer-sale/).

From page 24 in particular, there are discussions of good games that are on sale, but perhaps haven't been daily'd. Peruse and discover the varied tastes of RPS!..also, buy VVVVVV.

Daily Deals and Achievements - 10th July - As today is the last day of the sale, any games you want that are on sale, now is the time to get them!

Active as of 6pm GMT. Unless stated, all DLC will also be discounted the same amount.

Magicka/Complete/ - 66% - £2.71/£5.77.
Sanctum - 75% - £2.49.
Portal 2 - 50% - £15.
Dawn of War 2: Retribution (standalone xpac) - 50% - £10.
The Witcher 2 - 33% - £23.44.
Just Cause/2 - 75% - £2/£3.50.
Two Worlds 2 - 66% - £8.50.
Grand Theft Auto 4 complete - 75% - £6.25.
Fable 3 - 50% - £15.
Borderlands GOTY - 75% - £7.50.
Total War: Shogun 2 - 50% - £18.
Terraria - 50% - £3.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2/Vietnam xpac/Pack (includes additional DLC)- 75%/66%/71% - £5/£3.40/£10.
Fallout: New Vegas/Dead Money and Honest Hearts xpacs - 70% - £9/£2.25 (each).
Assassin's Creed/2 Deluxe Edition/Brotherhood/Complete pack - 66%/66%/50%/66% - £3.40/£5.10/£15/£17.

By completing special achievements, you can earn special in-game goodies. These seem to be done daily, but are not necessarily the daily deals. Anthile has posted a thread where users can help each other with the daily achievements. Take a gander! (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?588-Steam-Summer-Sale-Lottery-Ticket-Enhancement-Union)

As today is the final day of the sale, there are no new daily achievements. This is, however, your last opportunity to get as many as possible!

Completing these achievements also enters you into a prize draw, where 100 winners receive the top 10 games on their wishlist. Please check Anthile's thread (above) for details on the achievements.

Please leave any noteworthy sales in posts. They will (eventually) be updated to this post.

lasikbear
30-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I need to stop looking at this until I settle on a hard budget limit.

imirk
30-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Blood Bowl: LE is 66% off

Rii
30-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Far Cry 2 is 25% off - USD $15.

laneford
30-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Shogun 2 is -58% (£16.79)
Winter Voices -50%
Garry's Mod -75%
NightSky -50%
Eversion -50%
King's Bounty: Armored Princess -50%

Kelron
30-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm sure there will be a load of daily deals like usual. Best not to buy anything until the end of the sale unless it's a daily deal, rather than buying something for £15 now when it might be £10 in a few days.

TillEulenspiegel
30-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Recettear for $5 again (75% off). If you don't buy it, I'm going to have to hurt you.

Aaaaand Steam seems to be quite overloaded at the moment. Heh.

sabrage
30-06-2011, 06:42 PM
VVVVVV 50% off. So far the only thing that's piqued my interest

Edit: the store is "working" again, but Valve is doing a terrible job highlighting this sale.

Ice-Fyre
30-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about Unreal 2004 but for a couple of pound more I could get it off GOG. So gonna wait and hope King's Bounty: Platinum Edition comes up in a daily sale or something

goatmonkey
30-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Get vvvvvv the makers deserver the money even if it gets cheaper

I imagine the storefront will get sorted out in a while I seem to remember that happening with the Christmas sale

Haven't seen anything reduced enough to pique my personal interest yet

imirk
30-06-2011, 07:03 PM
OMG

Specials

showing 1 - 25 of 1373

imirk
30-06-2011, 07:14 PM
So Summer Camp with Prizes, This is a pretty Elaborate Sale

The JG Man
30-06-2011, 07:17 PM
By completing special achievements, you can earn special in-game goodies. These seem to be done daily, but are not necessarily the daily deals. Today's games with achievements are:

Bit.Trip BEAT - 75% - £1.75
Dawn of War 2: Retribution (standalone xpac) - 50% - £15.
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the West - 85% - £1.05.
AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity - 66% - £2.38
Toki Tori - 85% - £0.87
Swords and Soldiers HD - 66 % - £2.38

Completing these achievements also enters you into a prize draw, where 100 winners receive the top 10 games on their wishlist.

Please check the front page banner on Steam to check the achievements.

outoffeelinsobad
30-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Disciples 2 and Jagged Alliance 2. $6.24. Fair Enough.

Hydrogene
30-06-2011, 07:19 PM
These daily achievements are a very smart trick to get me to buy games I had no intention of buying.
They are really smart, these Valve marketing guys!

/Bit.Trip.BEAT might be not so bad à £1.75...

Revisor
30-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Dear sirs, would someone be so kind as to buy the Borderlands GOTY in USD and gift it to me? It's more than twice as costly for us EUropeans and you surely won't stand such injustice!

I will reimburse you generously via Paypal.

Please PM me. Thank you.

TillEulenspiegel
30-06-2011, 07:52 PM
More stuff worth buying today:

Drakensang -66%
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall -75%

Schaulustiger
30-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I do have a question regarding Hearts of Iron 2. I own the Complete collection but I heard that Darkest Hour is basically the original game + better AI. Is it true? Since DH is on sale and I very much intend to finally dive into the HoI games, I'd like to get the best version.

Jockie
30-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Hitman Blood money is £4.01, needed an excuse to grab this.

sabrage
30-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Err... Anyone else having trouble with the "Camp Activities"? I just completed Vamos a la playa in Swords & Soldiers HD (...twice) and I did not receive the achievement or the ticket. Kind of annoyed.

Ice-Fyre
30-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Err... Anyone else having trouble with the "Camp Activities"? I just completed Vamos a la playa in Swords & Soldiers HD (...twice) and I did not receive the achievement or the ticket. Kind of annoyed.

I'm guessing it's to do with Steam being so over run at the moment, kinda a mini ddos

ArtVandelay
30-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Anyone played the bit.trip games? Are they worth $2.50 (75% off)?

vinraith
30-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Does anyone know what "with full points" means on that Reckless Disregard for Gravity achievement?

Gerbick
30-06-2011, 09:01 PM
This had come at precisely the wrong/right time. Bank account looking healthy-ish for first time in a while, and I'm owed a fair bit from work for mileage. My self-imposed austerity measures may be about to go...

The JG Man
30-06-2011, 09:08 PM

No idea. There's a couple of quick looks up on Giantbomb though. Here's the one for Beat. (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-bittrip-beat/17-331/) I'd be interested in knowing myself. They look decent.

TMy self-imposed austerity measures may be about to go...

Make a wishlist of the games you really, really want and see what's on sale. Don't buy games just because they look like they have a good price or whatever. Think of it this way - people may hoard buying games, but will they have time to play them all? Pick and choose and enjoy to the full the ones you get. Don't settle for mediocre titles just because of a slashed price.

Miker
30-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Does anybody want to go in on a two-pack on Frozen Synapse? Well, it's actually for a friend of mine who doesn't have a Paypal account, so I'm handling the deal itself, but that's largely irrelevant. If anybody is interested, please send me a PM.

Ice-Fyre
30-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Audiosurf has nothing off it at all, so I'm guessing it's gonna be a daily deal

Kelron
30-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know what "with full points" means on that Reckless Disregard for Gravity achievement?

5 Stars. It's not too hard, took me about 15 minutes. You can kill yourself to restart from checkpoints to smash all the bonus plates.

What do people think of TDU2? I liked the first game a lot, probably can't go wrong for a fiver but I want to make sure.

Giaddon
30-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Blur, an excellent power-up racing game, is 33% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42640/?snr=1_4_4__13

ArtVandelay
30-06-2011, 09:28 PM
What do people think of TDU2? I liked the first game a lot, probably can't go wrong for a fiver but I want to make sure.

I had fun with it. The handling of the cars is bad but you will get used to it after a bit. Driving around the islands and exploring was the best part for me. The single player races were are all quite easy.

vinraith
30-06-2011, 09:34 PM
5 Stars. It's not too hard, took me about 15 minutes. You can kill yourself to restart from checkpoints to smash all the bonus plates.

Thanks. I find that game incredibly frustrating, so I don't think it's worth a reinstall if it requires 5 stars.

Gerbick
30-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Make a wishlist of the games you really, really want and see what's on sale.

Just looked at my Steam wishlist. I'm ok so far, with mainly the indies having the big deductions, therefore only a few quid here and there.

JamesG
30-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I enjoyed Bit.trip beat when I got it in the Indie beat pack. I found it a bit to tricky to get the best out of it (but bear in mind, that is just because I suck) but was easily worth the couple of quid laid down on it. Just brought runner in this sale, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Lukasz
30-06-2011, 10:05 PM
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall -75%

Please...
Please everyone. go and buy that pack. don't need to play it but just to throw some money at funcom. because, maybe... maybe they will finally make the third game.

I need it so badly...

sabrage
30-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Steam did, eventually, update and give me Vamos a la playa.

Giaddon
30-06-2011, 10:12 PM
There's the bizarre (but fabulous) Disciples 2 Gold / Jagged Alliance 2 Combo pack at 75% off, making it $6

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/96/?snr=1_5_9__13

Great strategy gaming!

thegooseking
30-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Please...
Please everyone. go and buy that pack. don't need to play it but just to throw some money at funcom. because, maybe... maybe they will finally make the third game.

I need it so badly...

I don't think funding is the issue for Funcom to make the third game; I think it's just waiting for Ragnar Tørnquist to finish The Secret World.

Edit: But buy the pack anyway. Seriously.

vinraith
30-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I really don't understand Dreamfall's continued absence from GOG. TLJ's been on there forever.

fiddlesticks
30-06-2011, 10:22 PM

I'm up to level 1-11 in bit.trip runner and so far it has definitaly been worth the two Euros I paid. It's very easy to grasp but surprisingly tricky at times, especially if you're trying to get a perfect on all levels.

Also, damn you Steam. I wanted to hold back with buying games this time around and yet I already bought four. :(

Sceptrum
30-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Just bought THQ Hit Collection Pack for 50 €. Includes Company of Heroes, CoH: Opposing Fronts, Darksiders, Homefront, Metro 2033, MX vs ATV Reflex, Red Faction Guerrilla, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, Saints Row 2, Titan Quest, Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 vanilla, Chaos Rising and Retribution.

I'd say that's a decent deal at 77% off.

ComradePenguin
30-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Tiny Bang Story is 66% off at £2.38. Bit disappointed by the lack of indie packs but they may appear later on.

BenWah
30-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Is borderlands goty worth $7.50?

I bought recettear for $5.

Thinking of buying old rockstar games like vice city and San andreas. I already own bully, that was fun

imirk
30-06-2011, 11:49 PM

I'd say yes. but you might wait for a second.

laneford
30-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I really like these 'summer camp activities' achievement things. They a) seem relatively gettable, b) have reminded me of some of the games I forgot I owned, and c) most importantly, give you actual content, free extra-levels and goodies for games you already own! Hello Defence Grid levels (and shiny space marine hat in DoW:2)

BenWah
30-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I'd say yes. but you might wait for a second.

What do you mean, why wait for a second? I think this sale runs out in a few hours

Vandelay
30-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Just bought THQ Hit Collection Pack for 50 €. Includes Company of Heroes, CoH: Opposing Fronts, Darksiders, Homefront, Metro 2033, MX vs ATV Reflex, Red Faction Guerrilla, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, Saints Row 2, Titan Quest, Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 vanilla, Chaos Rising and Retribution.

I'd say that's a decent deal at 77% off.

THQ pack is always awesome. Pity I own pretty much all the games in it (only exceptions this time are Darksiders, Saints Row 2, MX vs ATC Reflex and Homefront.) This is the problem with most of the packs.

Particular games I'll be keeping an eye out for will be RUSE, Dead Rising 2 (a mate bought it in the recent weekend deal and has been raving,) Anno 1404 (although, it appears to have disappeared from Steam,) and Fallout 3. Sure there will be others cropping up along the way.

Edit: Oh, and Episodes from Liberty City is on my sale want list.

G915
01-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Yay, thanks for noticing Dreamfall, I was waiting for this game to be on sale literally for years!
Anyways, I'm gonna wait for a daily deal on Fallout: NV, Battlefield: BC2 and (hopefully) Alpha Protocol and buy the crap out of them :)

SirKicksalot
01-07-2011, 12:15 AM
As always, the THQ pack is the best deal.
I either own most games on sale or I don't care about them. I also can't be arsed to complete the special achievements.
Waiting for some DLC to go on sale then!

G915
01-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Absolutely!

vinraith
01-07-2011, 12:22 AM

I bought recettear for $5.

Thinking of buying old rockstar games like vice city and San andreas. I already own bully, that was fun

Borderlands is a good time. Played with a friend (or more, of course) it's an absolutely great time.

icupnimpn2
01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
How about Hinterland for $2.50? It had some decent RPS coverage a few years back. Worth it?

outoffeelinsobad
01-07-2011, 12:54 AM
How about Hinterland for $2.50? It had some decent RPS coverage a few years back. Worth it?

Bought it. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Worth it. So worth it.

Icarus
01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Procured:

Witcher 2
Nation Red (demo was awesome)
Winter Voices
Drakensang
Bit.Trip RUNNER
Star Ruler
and Solar 2 (damn you TB)

People: Sell me on Serious Sam HD. I'm tempted, but I already have the originals from GoG.

vinraith
01-07-2011, 01:26 AM
People: Sell me on Serious Sam HD. I'm tempted, but I already have the originals from GoG.

They're really just the games you already have, but 3D and hi res. Whether they're worth your while is strictly a product of how much you care about the graphics.

8-bit
01-07-2011, 01:36 AM
I have the bit trip games on the wii and they are rather excellent, runner being the best one. I don't know how the ports are but I can imagine that beat (being kind of like pong vs a shump) is significantly easier with a mouse than it was on the wii (if it does have mouse control that is).

a few indie games that might not get much of a mention elsewhere but are well worth the time.
Caster £0.80 its an action game with a few mods here and there, kind of short but a blast.
Altitude £3.49, its my online drug of choice and unlike other online indie games it isn't dead.
Saira £2, not as good as the other games from the same dev but still good fun.
The maw £2.24, fun but a bit on the easy side, kids might like it.
Aquaria £3.75, I paid full price for this back when it was released and its not often I will do that for any game be it an indie or AAA title, one of the top metroid style games I have ever played.
Beat hazard £3.49 is great as long as you don't mind the inevitable side effect of your eyeballs melting after playing it.

Super meat boy, sanctum, vvvvv and trine (by 1p) are all cheaper on green man gaming.

Looking at the sale on the whole though I am kind of disappointed tbh, steam usually knocks the prices right down for the mega sales but a lot of the games have been cheaper on other sites recently.

thegooseking
01-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I really don't understand Dreamfall's continued absence from GOG. TLJ's been on there forever.

Well, TLJ was entirely self-published by Funcom, while Dreamfall was published by Aspyr Media in North America, Micro Application in Europe, Australasia and French Canada, Empire Interactive (now defunct) in the UK and Funcom themselves in Nordic Europe, South America and Asia. Putting it on GOG would probably require agreements from Funcom, Aspyr and Micro Application, since GOG isn't really set up to region-restrict.

icupnimpn2
01-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Bought it. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Worth it. So worth it.

I was about to respond with "hurry" but here you are. Holy shmoley that's a quick answer.

vinraith
01-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Well, TLJ was entirely self-published by Funcom, while Dreamfall was published by Aspyr Media in North America, Micro Application in Europe, Australasia and French Canada, Empire Interactive (now defunct) in the UK and Funcom themselves in Nordic Europe, South America and Asia. Putting it on GOG would probably require agreements from Funcom, Aspyr and Micro Application, since GOG isn't really set up to region-restrict.

That would, indeed, explain it. Thanks.

Guess I'll just pick it up off Steam then, can always grab it again on GOG if it turns up there later.

BenWah
01-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Civ IV complete went 75% off on gamersgate today, so probably will be on the steam sale soon for a similarly crazy discount.

MD!
01-07-2011, 02:55 AM

Runner is definitely worth it IMO, great little game. Beat too, if you're interested in it, though it doesn't do as much for me as Runner.

The JG Man
01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
I'm considering removing the list of games accumulated in the first post, leaving only the daily sales and the daily achievement games up there. The general sale games will be covered by posters and by the SavyGamer link. What do people think to this?

As an aside, would anyone like to sell me on Oblivion? Worth it? I tried playing it on the 360 and got about 20 minutes in (I was in some dungeons after Picard told me to run off) and was a bit daunted by what was going on and what to do so gave up. I'm willing to try again, just want some encouragement. I may flip a coin over Runner. I like the look of it, but I don't know if I'd play it much.

Finally, I may not be around/awake at the time of the new daily deals. I would very much appreciate if someone could post a full list of the deals, and the games involved in the daily achievements. I will then add those to the first post ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Vague-rant
01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Garhasp is available for 1.75. Saw it on RPS a while ago and watched TotalBiscuits "WTF is", but I'm still wavering over buying it. It looks like a really ambitious indie game, but has anyone played it?

Icarus
01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Oblivion is... decent. Quite solid. But bland :/ I finished the main storyline and just never really went back to it, even with the Shivering Isles expansion. Gameplay is fine, graphics are fine, but they clearly spent all their voice budget on Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean and had to get Jimmy the Doughnut Boy in to do his silly voices for everyone else.

Edit: It's still worth the few quid they're asking for it right now, though. I paid something similar last time it was cheaps, and I consider that I got my money's worth. Just be sure to install a bunch of mods, especially if you want to play an archer type character.

Ian
01-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Luckily this time very little has caught my eye. Thus far I'm likely to spend about £8 today on Bob Came In Pieces, Call of Cthulhu and Plain Sight. No irresistable offers on big games yet which is just as well after I last night had a look at the state of my "To Play" list.

Oblivion is... decent. Quite solid. But bland :/ I finished the main storyline and just never really went back to it, even with the Shivering Isles expansion.

That was your first mistake. ;D It perhaps shouldn't be true, but it is: there are tens of hours of stuff to do much better than the storylines.

Do the guilds, do the daedric shrines, explore the towns and clear out their quests.

Jaxtrasi
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Oblivion needs mods. It's more of a toolkit than a game. As others have said, it's bland. Its unique strength is the degree of customisation you can have. Mechanics (for example the levelling system) and the appearance or even theme of your character are easily changed. It does take a bit of work though, and if the thought of that is offputting (because you'd rather spend your game time, I don't know, playing games, which is fair enough) then I'd recommend against it.

Teddy Leach
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
20p in my bank account even before the sales began. I have the biggest sadface.

Jams O'Donnell
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Nothing yet really grabbing my attention, but I'll be keeping my eye on the daily deals -- a cheapie Call of Pripyat would do nicely please, Valve.

Olero
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
So far not that spectacular, but then again it's just day 1point5. So far, I made a list of the things I'm considering. Any warnings / praises that can help me (avoid) buying the games?

Yes-buys:
- Recettear
- Longest journey/dreamfall combo

Maybe buys:
- Valve complete pack (or seperate games?)
- Kings bounty games (which?)
- Borderlands GOTY
- VVVVVVV
- Blood bowl LE
- Monkey island bundle

Dubious:
- Guild wars???
- Fate of the world (read it was on sale, haven't seen it in the lists)

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

Flint
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Ah bugger, I'll be away from my home computer for most of the sale period and while I can still buy lovely deals, I believe the chances of being able to play anything I might own which gets its own summer achievements are extremely slim. Ah well.

Got myself Tiny Bang Story already, and hoping for a sale on HOMM5 somewhere down the line.

The JG Man
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
- Longest journey/dreamfall combo
- VVVVVVV
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

VVVVVV is a great game. It's not too long, as in maybe 2-3 hours, but it has plenty of replayability and additional stuff for you to do. It also has some amazing music that is very encouraging to play with. Difficulty-wise, it's nowhere near as hard as, say, Super Meat Boy, but it can get a bit fiddly in places. On top of this, it can run on just about anything.

As for Longest Journey/Dreamfall, I've heard a lot of people mentioning these games. What on earth are they??

Ta for the info regarding Oblivion though. Considering my to-play list, I'd rather give it a miss and perhaps wait for Skyrim to try again. £5 is good, but only if you're going to use it. I'll like hit up Bit.Trip Runner though. Looks like fun, I like platformers, it's cheap. Win, win, win.

Icarus
01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
VVVVVV is genuinely excellent. Do buy it.

@ JG Man above, I got Bit.Trip RUNNER yesterday and I've been having a lot of fun with it, albeit in short bursts. I prefer it to Bit.Trip BEAT and it would be nice if the rest of the games got ported too.

Giaddon
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
As for Longest Journey/Dreamfall, I've heard a lot of people mentioning these games. What on earth are they??

The Longest Journey is a classic point-and-click adventure game. You control a young woman living in a future dystopia as she discovers that the world is much more unusual than she thought, and that she has an important role to play in it. Gameplay consists of inventory puzzles and long long LONG conversations.

Dreamfall is the sequel, and one in a number of strained attempts to modernize the adventure genre. You have direct control over your character, there are stealth sequences (!) and combat (!!!), as well as the usual load of puzzles and talking.

I found TLJ to be a wonderful and complete experience, while Dreamfall was an interesting but less satisfying one (the gameplay is quite off in places, the story a bit awkward and incomplete).

Ian
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/08/21/the-longest-journey-a-retrospective/

Flint
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
TLJ is a classic click and point adventure game. There's a couple of clunky puzzles, but the rest of the game is really wonderful: great characters you genuinely come to care about, strong writing and some fantastic overall design. It's definitely worth a purchase.

Dreamfall has, once again, great writing with some great characters but the gameplay is terrible and limited: the action is awkward and very clunky, and there's barely any puzzles involved so most of it essentially boils down to walking from one dialogue to another. If you fall in love with TLJ it's worth a check just to see how it advances the story, but gameplay-wise it's very flawed.

thegooseking
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Honestly, I didn't much like the writing in Dreamfall, either. It was pretty classic sophomore slump: they realised how well they had done with TLJ and then tried that little bit too hard under the pressure to live up to it.

Lukasz
01-07-2011, 12:53 PM

TLJ is a classic of adventure games. Great storyline featuring two worlds one our but in the future and another ruled by magic. You control a strong female protagonist who is thrown into midst of problems which both worlds are currently suffering. It is a must have for any gamer who enjoys adventure games. It does contain some weird puzzles but characters, schemes, beautiful artwork overshadow every minor problem the game has.

Dreamfall is a... strange case. The opinion is divided on it. It is a sequel to TLJ. The major problem is that it is not traditional game unfortunately. It is more an interactive movie where traditional adventure game schematics are rare between massive amounts of conversations and seldom action sequences.
The game is beautiful tough. It does not have 20xAA or super extreme advanced HDR or any of that irrelevant in my opinion technological innovations. It is beautiful because of design. Wonderful worlds created by very talented people are way more beautiful than generic streets of New York City.
Like mentioned before the gameplay is lacking the game part. For me tough the story (even with its flaws) and characters allowed to forget about games problems and immense into the game's world with ease.

I still dream about TLJ 3. it is needed.

Giaddon
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
What's the RPS take on Drakensang? River of Time (the newest one) is 50% off right now. It looks interesting.

Vague-rant
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I still dream about TLJ 3. it is needed.

I'd settle for TLJ with slightly higher polygon characters. The backgrounds are fine, but even with AA (which is a pain to get working), they annoy me more than it should.

I'm probably going to end up buying them both as I want an online backup for TLJ, and I played Dreamfall at a friends. But I'm going to be pissed if some kind of remake is done and I have to pay up again. At least on GOG there's some precedent of owners of the original getting upgraded to the collectors edition when its released.

winterwolves
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Had already most of June 30th games. I'm looking forward for today's games 8-)

Olero
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
What's the RPS take on Drakensang? River of Time (the newest one) is 50% off right now. It looks interesting.

I haven't played River of Time yet but Drakensang was a nice RPG with a beefy skill system combined with a solid combat system (based on Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye rules), but not a really original story (so far, haven't finished it). It's a bit too much targeted at a younger audience sometimes and you have to walk a lot in the beginning chapter (always a bad thing I think). All in all still worth it at the current price I'd say!

The JG Man
01-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Bit.Trip Runner just killed some time wonderfully. It looks like a platformer, but really it's a rhythm game in the guise of a platformer. Regardless, very good and recommended.

Flint
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Pseudo-repeating myself, but the opening post didn't seem to have this info: if anyone is interested in the wonderfully soothing and beautiful hidden object game Tiny Bang Story but hasn't wanted to pay full price for it, it's -66% at the moment (which in the UK store would be £2,38).

The JG Man
01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry, it's getting a bit hard to keep up with everything. Updated the first post with a few things.

It's worth re-iterating, as it's been a few revisions in the first post, that the SavyGamer link has a very, very comprehensive list of games and their prices. It is up-to-date in terms of daily deals (but I'll do my best to cover that here anyhow) and has a long, long list of all the games on sale, including every title in the compilation packs.

As such, I'll only update the first post with games that people recommend on here from here on out. That is to say, I'll leave the list as is, but anyone mentioning a game they want/bought/is relevant to, I'll add. That should make a good list of games that people are liking.

Led Zeppelin
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I bought Recettear and it's great!

Hydrogene
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
The price for TDU2 has changed, and is now at £7.49
Shame!

Kelron
01-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Just a heads up that at least some of the CD keys for TDU2 are not valid for the Securom activation. Considering the price hike too, I'd think twice about buying it. I'm sure they'll get the keys sorted, but I was looking forward to playing it today.

Giaddon
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
*clang clang* Last hour for 6/30 daily sales! *clang clang* Get 'em if you want 'em!

Pew pew LAZORS!
01-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Finlay picked up Everyday shooter just for 2.50€, great game with beautiful visuals and relaxing guitar riffs in the background.

Also how is Strangers Wrath now, 3,39€ is a very tempting price, but have they fixed the game after a half year of patching or is it still a sad mess of a port?

squareking
01-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Well, picked up Oblivion (likely against my better judgement, though I'm a touch excited) and the bit.trip games.

And so begins the tale of my descent into madness/the Steam summer sale.

Olero
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Any recommendations on which of the King's Bounty games to get?

Ice-Fyre
01-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Anyone else sit around waiting for 6 o'clock to see what the daily deal is? I mean it's not like it's gonna run out of stock is it lol

Squiz
01-07-2011, 05:46 PM
@Olero: Maybe wait until the last day of the sale, then grab the bundle or whichever game is the cheapest. They tend to go on sale from time to time again. The Legend has the best jokes (the backround story you can mostly forget about anyways), Armored Princess has a bit more interesting mechanics. I haven't played Crossroads yet, but as far as I know it is a recommendation for those who can't get enough of the first two games.

TillEulenspiegel
01-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, picked up Oblivion (likely against my better judgement, though I'm a touch excited)
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul fixes the game (begone, infamous leveling system) while keeping it pretty vanilla.

I haven't messed around with Oblivion in a couple years though, so maybe someone else will have better recommendations.

TillEulenspiegel
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Just Cause 2 -75%
The Heroes Pack (Dark Messiah + HOMM5) -75%
Braid -75%
SpaceChem -66%

Already own the indies, think I'll grab the first two. I assume none of the Just Cause 2 DLC is significant?

G915
01-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow, that's really...uninteresting today.

SirKicksalot
01-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Make sure you buy Just Cause 2.
The DLC adds some fun weapons and vehicles. I think it's worth it.

Mana_Garmr
01-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah, the only 2 things there I'd be kinda interested in are JC2, which I don't have the OS to play, and Spacechem, which I already own non-Steam.

Olero
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
@ squirrelfanatic: Thanks for the advice, but I aldready neglected it ;) (read: I bought the pack that had all 3 King's Bounty's)

Todays sale, luckily, doesn't have anything I want (read: I already spent too much)

piggydiggy
01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Steam kept crashing so I missed getting Borderlands GOTY in the daily deal :(

Might get some Just Cause DLC, but the browser for me is being painfully slow and unresponsive

vinraith
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, the only 2 things there I'd be kinda interested in are JC2, which I don't have the OS to play, and Spacechem, which I already own non-Steam.

Non-Steam copies of SpaceChem register on Steam for free.

fiddlesticks
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I've been wanting to buy Space Chem anyway, so I might as well pick it up now. And I heard a lot of good things about Just Cause 2.

On a related note, does anyone else have trouble downloading games at the moment? I'm trying to install Hitman: Blood Money, but I barely get more than 50 kb/s.

Flint
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh look, it's Heroes V like I wanted. Bundled with all the expandalones and Dark Messiah for cheaper than just the game itself.

Not complaining!

Mana_Garmr
01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
TF2 is trying to update and seems stuck at 19%. I'd imagine the servers are getting hit pretty hard.

Cooper
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok, I may have to bite...

Anyone actually played Dungeons? I love DK a silly amount, and am tempted by dungeons, but it got pretty luke warm receptions. Should I just go and play DK1 again?

Also: How much of a hardware-intensive hog is Shogun2 if I want is super-pretty? And is there much difference between the various settings?
(I'm planning an upgrade in the next year, and have other strategy games to keep me ocupied. but... but... It's... it's Shogun 2...)

I assume my old 2.4GHz Intel Quad, HD 4870, 4GB RAM will run it fine. But anyone want to claim Shogun 2 on super-high settings is worth waiting for (given I have other games to be getting on with...)?

Vexing Vision
01-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Ah, very nice. I've been hearing good things about SpaceChem, it must be mine!

amandachen
01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Dungeons isn't worth it unless it gets a whole lot cheaper. Well, I picked up Heroes V, now I'm just waiting for R.U.S.E. (maybe tomorrow?)

The JG Man
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Well today is dull.

Regardless, I want to put special mention to the THQ collection pack. It is absurdly well priced and even with just a few games becomes worthwhile:
Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Metro 2033, Red Faction Guerilla, Shadows of Chernobyl, complete Dawn of War 2, and more.
For £35. That is a bloody steal.

vinraith
01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Ok, I may have to bite...

Anyone actually played Dungeons? I love DK a silly amount, and am tempted by dungeons, but it got pretty luke warm receptions. Should I just go and play DK1 again?

Word is it bears little resemblance to DK, as the underlying mechanic is different. You aren't just trying to kill heroes, you're trying to "satisfy" them as much as possible and THEN kill them. The monetary unit is "hero soul" or some such, and you have to fill them up with a sense of accomplishment, then kill them and collect that.

Heliocentric
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
lovely case of "you already own it all" today. That or "its cheaper on www.play.com and activates on steam".

vinraith
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
The Just Cause 2 DLC all just looks like overpowered trinkets, is any of it worth bothering with?

Heliocentric
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Ah, very nice. I've been hearing good things about SpaceChem, it must be mine!

It will make you furrow...
Like this >: /

piggydiggy
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
The Just Cause 2 DLC all just looks like overpowered trinkets, is any of it worth bothering with?

Some of the DLC (I had the limited edition stuff) is very overpowered, i.e. best guns in the game for a good few hours. I never managed to find the vehicles, so I can't comment on those.

Vandelay
01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't have any of the DLC for Just Cause 2, so can't comment on quality, but the sale price actually looks like the kind of amount I would expect to pay on DLC.

Tempted by the Heroes pack, just for Dark Messiah. Is it possible to gift the other games, as I don't have any interest in them, but have a mate that would probably like them?

Also, can anyone recommend Devil May Cry 4?

Giaddon
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Also, can anyone recommend Devil May Cry 4?

Try the demo!
http://www.shacknews.com/file/24362/devil-may-cry-4-demo

Jams O'Donnell
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Bah, was hoping my extra copy of Dark Messiah from the HOMM pack would be giftable, so I could finally give something back to the Kindness Club.

Vandelay
01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Bah, was hoping my extra copy of Dark Messiah from the HOMM pack would be giftable, so I could finally give something back to the Kindness Club.

Ah, but you have been kind and answered my question. So, no giftable copies of games in that pack then.

Sceptrum
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Seems like Steam Store can be wobbly. Try refreshing the main page and you can find KOTOR1 on the Daily deals list. Clicking it actually leads you to a page where you can buy KOTOR1, Force Unleashed 2, Empire at War Gold Pack & Battlefront 2 at 75% off. (Force Unleashed 2 at 50% off)

man-eater chimp
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I just bought Blood Bowl and I have no clue what I'm doing!

Other than that it's a case of owning the games I want in the sales already!

vinraith
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Ah, but you have been kind and answered my question. So, no giftable copies of games in that pack then.

Steam almost never lets you do that, it's quite annoying. Gamersgate, on the other hand, will let you gift literally anything you buy from them so long as you don't download it/reveal the serial key first. It's really nice.

vinraith
01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I just bought Blood Bowl and I have no clue what I'm doing!

Other than that it's a case of owning the games I want in the sales already!

You'll want to read this:

http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

Kelron
01-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Seems like Steam Store can be wobbly. Try refreshing the main page and you can find KOTOR1 on the Daily deals list. Clicking it actually leads you to a page where you can buy KOTOR1, Force Unleashed 2, Empire at War Gold Pack & Battlefront 2 at 75% off. (Force Unleashed 2 at 50% off)

The ones that say "Franchise Sale" are multiple games in the series on sale.

ArtVandelay
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM

I would fully recommend the Black Market Aerial Pack. It adds thrusters to your parachute. Really helps you get around more quickly. You have to buy them every time you die but there is a mod here (http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Parachute/original-Parachute-Thrusters-as-DEFAULT/) that adds them to your default parachute. There are some other interesting mods on that site as well.

Vandelay
01-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Wait a second...

It's like me, but not.

man-eater chimp
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
You'll want to read this:

http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf

Ah many thanks.

Stense
01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Got myself the Longest Journey. I've been meaning to get my grubby little hands on it for years, but never got round to it. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl, it certainly does seem like a very highly respected game and I'm in the mood for a nice story driven game.

airtekh
01-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm amazed that there has been nothing in the daily deals for the first two days that I either want or own already.

I'm sure my wallet won't manage to make it unscathed for the duration of the sale though.

The JG Man
01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Well I'm pretty chuffed that I'll be going into the third day having only spent £1.75. That being said, there are several games I can see me picking up come the end of the sale, so it'll stack up nicely then.

...I hope Super Meat Boy goes on further discount. I've already got it and beaten it on the 360, but I need to play it again. With extra levels. Oh god I'm addicted to it. It just hurts so good.

archonsod
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Word is it bears little resemblance to DK, as the underlying mechanic is different.

It doesn't, beyond the fact it's set in a dungeon and you have imps (or goblins in this case). It's somewhat hard to describe, kind of like Tower Defence meets Theme Park with a little Diablo thrown in for good measure. I enjoyed it, but if you're going in expecting a Dungeon Keeper remake you will be disappointed.

field_studies
01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Just noticed, via my wishlist, that STALKER CoP, which I'm pretty certain wasn't on sale yesterday (unlike SoC which was and is 33% off) is now marked down by 50% to $7.50.

EDIT: While it is 50% off, the $15; only $7.50 as a 'loyalty' option if you already own another STALKER game.

icupnimpn2
01-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Potentially the best Steam deal today is at GamersGate UK, with Civ V for £6.78 ($11.18 US via PayPal) (http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-CIV5/sid-meiers-civilization-v). Activates like a charm

8-bit
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I noticed that both the Eschalon games are in the sale, has anyone played though them and if you could only buy one which would it be?

Hocevar
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Ah, 2 days of resistance already, good good.

And seeing kotor on the sales made me want to play it again heh

MondSemmel
02-07-2011, 12:15 AM
@ squirrelfanatic: Thanks for the advice, but I aldready neglected it ;) (read: I bought the pack that had all 3 King's Bounty's)

Todays sale, luckily, doesn't have anything I want (read: I already spent too much)

You already bought King's Bounty, so telling you more about it might not matter much, but still, briefly:
KB: Legend came first, then KB: Armored Princess with its expansion, KB: Crossworlds.
Completely disregard Armored Princess vanilla: The campaign "Orcs on the March" in Crossworlds is the whole Armored Princess campaign but with extra stuff (i. e. the orcs). So there's no reason whatsoever to play the Armored Princess campaign.
In any case, these games are huge, and if you like the HoMM series/at least the turn-based battles in those games, you certainly won't be disappointed by KB! I'm a completionist and I logged about 80 hours in both of them (and I still haven't finished the Crossworlds campaign...). Some parts of them can be rather lengthy, though. And the story is really quite irrelevant.

I think I will post a list of my steam game recommendations some time later this weekend. Mostly indie/small-ish games, though.

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 01:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Having watched that, I need this game. Please tell me what part of the game and expansions, if any, are needed.

SirKicksalot
02-07-2011, 02:42 AM
There's only one version of Dark Messiah on PC.
Pro-tip: don't be efficient. Toy with your enemies.

I hope the Arkane guys have something to say regarding Skyrim's combat, now that they're part of the same company.

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Ta. I'll grab that in the morning. That looks too fun.

tomeoftom
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
It is. Good choice, sirrah. Sir Kicksalot: you have made my day with that information. The whole time I was playing DM I was screaming in my head "WHYYYY AREN'T THE ELDER SCROLLS LIKE THIS?".

Gentleman Jim Stacey
02-07-2011, 04:30 PM
I'll buy L4D2 at the last minute if nothing catches my eye until then.

Oak
02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
45 minutes to decide whether I want to enter the world of train simulations.

JohnnyK
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
45 minutes to decide whether I want to enter the world of train simulations.
82 DLCs... that is kind of a downer.

Giaddon
02-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Alright, I picked up SaceChem and Force Unleashed II (yeah, I know, but I like pretty action games and $10 is perfectly reasonable.) Bring on day 3!

piggydiggy
02-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Is the Heroes pack worth buying?

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah, today's gonna be an awesome day! Super Meat Boy, Magicka....hnnngggg....

I can personally recommend SMB and Darksiders. Great games.

For what it's worth, the achievement to SMB talks about a part quite a bit into the game. It will require quite some time to get to that point if you haven't played the game before.

Vexing Vision
02-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Aaaand Darksiders is mine.

Neat!

Flint
02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Nothing for me today, outside a cheap summer camp achievement.

vinraith
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Another day with nothing, wow. I may get through this thing just buying $1 worth of Just Cause 2 DLC, Dreamfall, and maybe Beat Hazard Ultra for a grad total of less than $10 total. That's... unprecedented.

Giaddon
02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Another day with nothing, wow. I may get through this thing just buying $1 worth of Just Cause 2 DLC, Dreamfall, and maybe Beat Hazard Ultra for a grad total of less than $10 total. That's... unprecedented.

It's only day 3, now. Don't get cocky. Over a week still to go!

Gerbick
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Oh no! 2 definite (FM011 and PvZ), 2 maybe (B:BC2 and Magicka) and 1 wildcard (Darksiders). Add to that the fact I've never played Bioshock or Half Life 2, so could get them for cheaps too, my digital-wallet will feel lighter, later.

vinraith
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
It's only day 3, now. Don't get cocky. Over a week still to go!

Good point, I'm just surprised that I haven't even been tempted yet by any of the dailies. I'm starting to think I already own every game I want, at least that's on Steam. What I really need is a Matrix Games summer sale, that'd do some damage to the old wallet.

cairbre
02-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I have set my budget at €120 and picked up a few games yesterday Just Cause 2, Dawn of War Retribution and Shogun 2 so pretty happy so far I am hoping fallout new vegas appears at some stage

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
And now some reviews:

Super Meat Boy was my GOTY last year. It's a super tough platformer with a great learning curve that eases you into the many, many deaths you'll endure. Controls are super tight and there is an immense feeling of satisfaction upon completing one of the many, many levels, which is constantly expanding. It is not for the weak-hearted. Yes, there will be lots of swearing. The game boats a ridiculously good soundtrack and some great little homages wrapped in comedy. The art style is simple, but works effectively and with the music provides a real sense of progression. It nails that 'One more go!' feeling as the penalty of death is merely time; when you die, you instantly restart the level. It is a sublime game.

Darksiders is many things. It is certainly derivative of other games, but you shouldn't let that bother you. It is at heart a game very much in the style of Zelda. The art direction is bold and stylish, although certainly your mileage may vary. A slow burner of a story that really picks up in the closing hours. Combat can be as deep as you wish, but depending on your predilection for variety, may find it gets repetitive. You do have ways of mixing it up, as per the depth of combat you so choose. The dungeons are fairly simple, apart from the last one. It is the very definition of a 4 star game, but it doesn't care. What it does it does really well and it will provide far, far, far more moments of enjoyment than any negative feeling. It's not perfect, but it's damn good.

Flint
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I admit I'm somewhat interested about Darksiders because people keep mentioning Zelda and Soul Reaver when they describe it, and I'm a big fan of both series. But I can't help but feel a bit put off by Steam's screenshot galleries and game description, it just looks so much like bog-standard bruiser fantasy combat fare that doesn't excite me at all.

Still, tempted. Perhaps something to look out for, hopefully it makes a reprise in the final sales day.

Malawi Frontier Guard
02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Magicka: Buy the base game if you're on the fence. It was patched a lot and it's quite stable currently. You don't need any of the DLC unless you plan on playing online with friends frequently and want new maps and gear.

Also what the hell were they thinking with that Super Meat Boy achievement today? Low best times in hell light and dark world?

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I was just checking around. To get that achievement, you need to get under 500 seconds in the Light and Dark World. For what it's worth, A+ing isn't enough. You need to thoroughly beat those levels. You will have to be extremely good at this game to get that.

Malawi, baring in mind what you said, would it be better to get Magicka 4-pack and share it out, or to just get the complete pack? I don't know many people who have it, but it's a good price for everything so far.

Yrm
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey all, i've purchased Darksiders aswell, but my steam seems to be downloading "slow" i.e only using 20% (800kbs to 1 mb) of my bandwidth >:( is anyone els having troubles with slow downloading?
also im hella tempted to get bioshock 1 and 2

Vexing Vision
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Good point, I'm just surprised that I haven't even been tempted yet by any of the dailies. I'm starting to think I already own every game I want, at least that's on Steam. What I really need is a Matrix Games summer sale, that'd do some damage to the old wallet.

I sincerely hope for the sake of my wallet, my ridiculously thin amount of spare time and my sanity that there will not be a Paradox-Sale.

MondSemmel
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Also what the hell were they thinking with that Super Meat Boy achievement today? Low best times in hell light and dark world?

I was just checking around. To get that achievement, you need to get under 500 seconds in the Light and Dark World. For what it's worth, A+ing isn't enough. You need to thoroughly beat those levels. You will have to be extremely good at this game to get that.

Considering it's Super Meat Boy, that makes perfect sense. It will certainly be much more satisfying to get this one than any of the tons of trivial ones (i.e. the "get a Firecracker in Spiral Knights" achievement, which costs nothing whatsoever except time - playing the game normally and saving money is all it takes).
And who decided that all of these special event achievements should be trivially achievable, anyway?

Malawi Frontier Guard
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Malawi, baring in mind what you said, would it be better to get Magicka 4-pack and share it out, or to just get the complete pack? I don't know many people who have it, but it's a good price for everything so far.

If you can get a couple of people together to play with, definitely go for the 4-pack. The good thing about Magicka maps is that only one player needs them to host the game. Players without DLC can simply join the game, and DLC items can be set up to drop on challenge and versus maps by the host (and stolen from dead players who bought them).

And who decided that all of these special event achievements should be trivially achievable, anyway?

I just really want that Winter Voices mission!!

Veracity
02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I was just checking around. To get that achievement, you need to get under 500 seconds in the Light and Dark World. For what it's worth, A+ing isn't enough. You need to thoroughly beat those levels. You will have to be extremely good at this game to get that.I've played it all of once, so wasn't expecting to have much chance of doing anything with it, but that sounds a touch ridiculous. Was Team Meat on holiday when Valve held the meeting telling everyone to make these things achievable at short notice to boost sales, or is it just coincidence that the only ones I've tried were trivial? Didn't attempt Toki Tori, either, since I still haven't played it despite installing it weeks ago, so didn't even know what it meant. Really ought to get around to that.

Anyone want to tell me whether Garshasp is worth playing? Have read the WIT/impressions/whatever it was. Context: I got through most of Bloodrayne, as far as I remember, so I ain't picky, and do lament the lack of brawly games on the beige box. Not interested if it's glitch-riddled, though, and it sounds more God of War than God Hand, anyway, which is not a plus.

vinraith
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I sincerely hope for the sake of my wallet, my ridiculously thin amount of spare time and my sanity that there will not be a Paradox-Sale.

I immunized myself there by grabbing basically every Pdox game I wanted in the last big sale on Gamersgate. When it comes to Paradox strategy games it actually kind of sucks to own them on Steam, as Valve's third party patch process seems to delay updates for at least a month relative to Gamersgate versions of Paradox titles.

Oneironaut
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Nothing today that interests me and I don't already have. Maybe I'll pick up something cheap that isn't on a daily sale. NightSky looks pretty good, I also really want Jamestown, but I feel like it might be going on a daily sale some time soon.

I've enjoyed Darksiders, Super Meat Boy, Battlefield: BC2, PvZ, and all of the Half-Life games, and would recommend them to anyone who hasn't tried them. Resident Evil 5 and Magicka are also really good, but each has issues that may make the game less fun for some.

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I actually think the achievement for Super Meat Boy is indicative of the general difficulty of the game. Like many of the achievements in that game, they're actual achievements and genuinely worth bragging about having. Perhaps not suited to the meta competition, but it's totally valid for the game itself.

I'm going to buy a 4-pack of Magicka. I have someone I might offer one to, but the other two (and possibly 3) will be up for grabs. I'll post in the Kindness Club later.

Malawi Frontier Guard
02-07-2011, 07:51 PM
When it comes to Paradox strategy games it actually kind of sucks to own them on Steam, as Valve's third party patch process seems to delay updates for at least a month relative to Gamersgate versions of Paradox titles.

I only have HoI3 on Steam, but you can still install patches from the forum. The one thing that's missing from the Steam version is the launcher as far as I know. I have no idea why they would leave that out, it's all very strange.

ColOfNature
02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Shameless plug: if you've just bought Magicka (JG Man, I'm looking at you), why not join the Steam group (https://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsqf)?

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I may or may not have joined that. Magicka seems to be stuck in the nether though of not downloading. Given that Super Meat Boy went up to the final half mb before stopping for no well explored reason before finishing a few minutes later, I think Steam might be throwing a hissy fit.

In other news, Super Meat Boy is still excellent and still on sale. Speed-running levels in this game is just too damn fun.

8-bit
03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Magicka is one of those games that is tempting because of the price and the fact that a lot of people really seem to love it. but I played the demo and it just didn't click with me and if I buy it I know that I will regret it, but I still kind of want it. :?

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Magicka will go on sale again and even if it doesn't, you'll still be able to pick it up in the regular sale. That being said, if you played the demo and weren't a fan, don't do it. Alternatively, wait till the next sale and if you still want it then, get it, if not, you did the right thing!

ConcreteOtter
03-07-2011, 02:55 AM
I was someone also that the demo didn't really "do it for me", but that was solo, the real fun lies in group play with the amazing spell mix-ups and team killing potential. For a couple bucks/quid you can't go wrong with it.

vinraith
03-07-2011, 03:23 AM
Magicka is one of those games that is tempting because of the price and the fact that a lot of people really seem to love it. but I played the demo and it just didn't click with me and if I buy it I know that I will regret it, but I still kind of want it. :?

It really is a game that's vastly more fun with friends. I couldn't recommend it as a solo experience, but with even one other player it's a lot of fun.

DainIronfoot
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd love to play Magicka, may even pick it up the complete pack now, but the demo was so unoptimised that I struggled to play it on this laptop. One to save until I have a fixed abode and a beefy gaming PC I feel.

Also:

Individual price:

£16.99
Package price:

-£5.61
-£5.61
Limited Time Offer
Limited Time Offer:

£5.77
Cost to you:

£1.93
You save:

What? I'm only saving £1.93 when the package is down from £16.99. A maths failure I feel.

Vandelay
03-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Picked up Super Meat Boy. Very awesome so far. Played the first world, including the warp world levels that change the game into some kind of old 8bit game. Edging off a few point somethings of a second to get the A+ rating is always so very tempting, as well as trying to get the bandages scattered around the levels. I can see some obsessive completionist tendencies coming out off me with this game. I also love the style of it. There is just something incredibly charming about it, despite it also being incredibly gross.

Quick question, what are dark world levels and how do I access them?

Also picked up Darksiders, after hearing good things on here. Don't really know anything about it, but I thought I would take a punt on it. Still downloading (slowly), so can't comment yet.

Icarus
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
@Vandelay above:

You access the Dark World (harder/less forgiving) version of a level by getting an A+ grade on the regular version, and then switching to the Dark World while on the level map.

Vandelay
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Ah, cheers Icarus. Completely missed the Dark World option on the map screen.

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Good choices Vandelay!

I strongly recommend you don't actually try Dark World yet. Despite the fact the level lay-outs are mostly similar, the difficulty jumps up a hell of a lot. By all means look at the levels so you can see what you're getting yourself into (and to hear the great music), but if you're still finding your footing, they're not the best way to go about so early on as they ruin the difficulty curve. My suggestion would be to either complete the Light Worlds up to the final boss and then go Dark, or to complete chapter 4 and then go dark world 1. That being said, if you jump in and manage to complete Dark World 1 after completing Light World 1, you're a fantastic player and you'll have a lot of fun with this game.

Malawi Frontier Guard
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd love to play Magicka, may even pick it up the complete pack now, but the demo was so unoptimised that I struggled to play it on this laptop.

I don't know if Magicka is unoptimised per se, but the XNA framework doesn't play nice with certain integrated graphics cards, which might be the source of your problems. Have you tried playing it in windowed mode?

Vandelay
03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Good choices Vandelay!

I strongly recommend you don't actually try Dark World yet. Despite the fact the level lay-outs are mostly similar, the difficulty jumps up a hell of a lot. By all means look at the levels so you can see what you're getting yourself into (and to hear the great music), but if you're still finding your footing, they're not the best way to go about so early on as they ruin the difficulty curve. My suggestion would be to either complete the Light Worlds up to the final boss and then go Dark, or to complete chapter 4 and then go dark world 1. That being said, if you jump in and manage to complete Dark World 1 after completing Light World 1, you're a fantastic player and you'll have a lot of fun with this game.

Thanks for the advice. Turns out, I must be fantastic player, as I completed Dark World 1 this morning, after having only played all the Light World levels in chapter 1 and a couple in chapter 2. Carrying on with chapter 2 in the Light World after doing that does seem a little easy; I've managed to get A+ on pretty much all the levels. Brilliant fun though and still challenging enough (a total 957 deaths! Suddenly I feel less fantastic.)

I'm also really getting a sense of just how much content there is with the game. Not only are there the harder versions of every single level, but you can also replay each of these with a total of 11 different characters, all with slightly different abilities. There are also bandages hidden away on every level or there Dark World equivalent, which unlock the other characters, as well as warp zone worlds scattered about the place, also unlocking the characters.

Still a few hours left of the sale, if anyone is on the fence, I can't recommend it enough. If you miss the sale, it is still a great deal at full price.

Darksiders still downloading very slowly.

airtekh
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
It really is a game that's vastly more fun with friends. I couldn't recommend it as a solo experience, but with even one other player it's a lot of fun.

I'd agree with Vinraith on this.

I've only played Magicka solo and I found it incredibly difficult playing by myself (they may have patched this though, I haven't played it in a while).

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
You're going to love everything that game throws at you, Vandelay. Kudos to beating Dark World 1 so quickly. The total amount of deaths is a very personal thing. How hard do you push for the absolute quickest times? Did you get a bit lazy and accidentally die to some easy things? It's hard to compare, but from what I'm aware, anywhere from 10,000-15,000 is about average on completing the game...of course what you determine as completing the game is one thing as there are multiple points you could consider 'end'. Personally, I'd say that's 100%. On the 360, I 100% it in just shy of 10,000, but I have heard of others doing it in 6-7K. I bow down to their sheer ridiculousness.

Also, in hunting for bandages, if you think there are some that are too hard to get or near impossible, it's likely because they require a different character to unlock unless you can pull off some insane moves that are more based on luck than skill. If you're thinking "Man, I need a double jump to get to one", well...

Scouting the Super Meat World custom levels, there are different difficulties. People who are put off by the harder levels can still have fun in completing the Light World final boss and then trying these levels. You still get a ridiculous amount of content. Not to mention you can then make your own levels once you've amassed enough bandages to enter anyhow. Super Meat Boy is really hard, no questions asked, but it can be very satisfying. If you grew up with Mario or Sonic and recognise that platformers are something special, you owe it to yourself to try Super Meat Boy. It really is a sublime platformer and is a joy to play, despite its challenging harder levels and a sore thumb.

Flint
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
A friend just gifted me Hoard, and it's actually rather fun. You control a dragon trying to grow his treasure pile, which you do by looting the nearby villages and such while at the same time preventing thieves, knights and other, competing dragons trying to rob you. Each turn is ten minutes so it's a pretty nice, quick time-killer for those moments when you just want a quick round of something. The multiplayer's rather swell as well and can get quite hectic in an enjoyable way.

Definitely not a bad little timekiller for £2,09.

vinraith
03-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd agree with Vinraith on this.

I've only played Magicka solo and I found it incredibly difficult playing by myself (they may have patched this though, I haven't played it in a while).

Well, "hard" in Magicka is a product of how creative you are with spells. You can make SP quite easy, actually, because you don't have to worry about killing anyone else. Consequently, for example, most of the game can be cleared with qqqse mines and the like. There are any number of SP strategies that work well, and couldn't work with other players present, but I'm not sure any of them are really all that much fun.

DainIronfoot
03-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't know if Magicka is unoptimised per se, but the XNA framework doesn't play nice with certain integrated graphics cards, which might be the source of your problems. Have you tried playing it in windowed mode?

I'll grab it and have a go! Either way, I'm planning to build myself a desktop when I have a more permanent abode and income this winter. So I'll surely end up playing at some point.

Icarus
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
On the fence about Bad Company 2 and Vietnam. How are the single player campaigns? I couldn't give a toss about if the multiplayer is any good, I very rarely jump into competitive FPSes.

Giaddon
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
On the fence about Bad Company 2 and Vietnam. How are the single player campaigns? I couldn't give a toss about if the multiplayer is any good, I very rarely jump into competitive FPSes.

There is no single player for Vietnam.

The single player for BC2 is mediocre.

Bottom line: if you're not gonna play multiplayer, stay away!

Icarus
03-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Alright, cheers.

Ice-Fyre
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
What happens if you spend your tickets on a game you don't have? lol

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Well bugger, Torchlight is a quid cheaper than what I paid for it and it's on Steam. That'll learn me good!

Arma 2 seems like an odd choice considering that's going Free To Play.

Tropico 3 will surely get a lot of people and Transformers: War For Cybertron, seems to be the other good pick. OP update incoming.

TillEulenspiegel
03-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Torchlight -80%
Tropico 3 -75%

That's about it. I'd like to try Two Worlds II, but even at -66% it's still a bit much, given its alleged hit-and-miss quality. Good deal on Assassin's Creed 2, but it too needs to drop even further to make up for the DRM.

Oh! And cleverly hidden behind a "Dragon Age II" graphic:
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition -66%

Any thoughts on Defense Grid: The Awakening?

endintears
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Also eyeing this one up myself... although, for £1.74 what is there to really think about?!

8-bit
03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
nice graphics, varied maps, good length campaign, fun to replay levels, the best tower defense game around imo. and the map packs are less than a pound for four or free if you have the tickets for it.

Wolfenswan
03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Arma 2 seems like an odd choice considering that's going Free To Play.

People who enjoy playing on the RPS free server should def. get ARMA Combined Ops to enjoy all the possibilities of ARPS tacticoolness.

Icarus
03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Defence Grid is well worth it. Trust me, I'm not a huge fan of TD games and I still enjoyed it. It just feels so right.

I'm going to grab War for Cybertron, and I'm on the fence about ARMA II. Single-player verdicts again, please.

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
To be fair, it does say franchise sale over Dragon Age 2.

The DRM for AC2 was mostly removed. You need to be online to activate it, but after that it's good to go. From what I've read around anyhow.

I'd be interesting in hearing about Transformers, but nothing else interests me today.

Flint
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
If I get something from the prize booth with my tickets, will I lose the tickets in my grand prize giveaway jar?

Creeping Death
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Anyone here tried Two Worlds II? I remember hearing that the first one was pretty god awful, but that the 2nd was an improvement... What I'm interested in knowing is whether or not its enough of an improvement from god awful to actually be counted as good/worthwhile?

If I get something from the prize booth with my tickets, will I lose my tickets in the grand prize giveaway jar?

Nope, that would suck.

Icarus
03-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Re: Assassin's Creed 2 DRM, you just have to be online when you launch the game now. Likewise with Brotherhood, I believe. So that's not actually too bad since you don't lose progress when your connection drops now.

Vexing Vision
03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Defence Grid is well worth it. Trust me, I'm not a huge fan of TD games and I still enjoyed it. It just feels so right.

I'm going to grab War for Cybertron, and I'm on the fence about ARMA II. Single-player verdicts again, please.

I enjoyed Transformers when it came out. Multiplayer is interesting your load-out and bot-design.

Singleplayer was okay, but the maps are horribly, horribly linear, even though the architecture of the city itself was quite lovely.

It's an enjoyable if short-lived game. There's been better shooters, but then, there's been a LOT worse shooters. Definitely a recommendation for "Yeah, get it cheap" - I don't regret my purchase last year, but it wasn't really worth the money.

Flint
03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Nope, that would suck.
Great stuff, cheers for clarifying that.

KauhuK
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Anyone here tried Two Worlds II? I remember hearing that the first one was pretty god awful, but that the 2nd was an improvement... What I'm interested in knowing is whether or not its enough of an improvement from god awful to actually be counted as good/worthwhile?

It's an ok rpg. Much better than the first one. At first it seems to be huge but falls a bit short at the end of its storyline. At that price it's a good value.

SirKicksalot
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I only play ARMA II in singleplayer and I love it. It's gorgeous, the missions are good and I like the freedom of cruising around the country, talking to people, gathering information about my mission... It feels real.

Transformers is a competent shooter with a couple of fun gimmicks and excellent production values. It has coop and people still play it in multiplayer. I saw the new TF movie yesterday, and now I grabbed a Steam copy of the game too.

TillEulenspiegel
03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
The DRM for AC2 was mostly removed. You need to be online to activate it, but after that it's good to go. From what I've read around anyhow.
From what I've heard, it still requires "activation" every time you run the game.

So in my mind, it gets filed alongside games with a SecuROM-style activation limit, as something I'm just renting ("UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONE OR MORE SPECIFIC ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED"), and I wouldn't pay more than $5 for that.

Icarus
03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks, I'm grabbing Transformers (Peter Cullen was in the trailer, was going to buy it anyway now) and Arma 2 along with Op Arrowhead and the British DLC. Thanks, folks. Tholks.

Edit: and if you don't buy Assassin's Creed 2 at that frankly stupidly good price you are genuinely missing out.

thegooseking
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I've heard War for Cybertron is the best video-game use of a Transformers licence yet!

...Let's be honest, that's not saying much, is it?

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
It seems that Transformers is good, but maybe not £5 good? At that price, with what I've heard, it's just a little higher. 3, sure, but not 5.

laneford
03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Just a heads up that Dragon Age 2 is only £10 on play.com right now anyway.

Vexing Vision
03-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Awww, come on JG. Buy the devs a beer, that's where the 2 pounds go.

It's solid enough, and if you like the license, go and buy it.

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Buit that's kinda it - just because it's a sale, doesn't mean you have to buy everything. I like older Transformers and I like good games, but I haven't heard enough good things. Perhaps if more opinions come in. I don't need to buy it right away. Besides, I have plenty of other games on the go. If not, I still have Super Meat Boy which will keep me happy until eternity.

field_studies
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM

What others have said, plus, since buying it in the potato sack sale on Steam a couple months ago, I've logged 66 very enjoyable hours on it. At the current price, that would work out to less than 4 cents an hour :-)

JohnnyK
03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8680/

That is a good deal, even though AC1 really pales in comparison to the others because it is so repetitive. But AC2 and ACB are both really good and the ACB MP is lots of fun.

PeteC
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Do the AssCreed games play nice with mouse and keyboard?

airtekh
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
@PeteC

I've only played Assassin's Creed 1, but it worked perfectly well with mouse & keyboard for me.

The only niggle I could find is that the game refers to the left mouse button as 'Mouse0' and the RMB as 'Mouse1', but it's not a major problem.

SirKicksalot
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
AC1 and 2 work very well with the mouse, ACB is unplayable for me.

PeteC
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll pick that up along with Torchlight.

LeiterJakab
03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Sanctum -33% 10,04 €
I'm thinking of picking this up.

JohnnyK
03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I played all of the AC games with m+k and had no big issues. As a note, ACB has some built-in mouse acceleration ij SP (but not MP, or at least the effect is much less noticeable) that you cannot turn off, so you might need to adjust your mouse settings to minimize the effect.

Creeping Death
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Sanctum -33% 10,04 €

Still cheaper on greenmangaming, and ties to Steam

http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shooter/sanctum/

fiddlesticks
03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
What happens if you spend your tickets on a game you don't have? lol
The purchase will stay with you and can be activated once you buy the game in question. So, if you plan on buying a certain game later, there's no harm in redeeming your tickets for its content now.

ComradePenguin
03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
On the Tropico 3 front is the Absolute Power DLC worth picking up for the extra £1.24 or should I spend it on 5 copies on Children of the Nile: Alexandria and four penny chews?

Sanctum -33% 10,04 €

It's usually worth waiting until the final day to see if stuff comes up in a daily sale even cheaper. I too am interested in Sanctum and that is my plan.

deano2099
03-07-2011, 11:14 PM
On the Tropico 3 front is the Absolute Power DLC worth picking up for the extra £1.24 or should I spend it on 5 copies on Children of the Nile: Alexandria and four penny chews?

It's a full on expansion pack, rather than a bit of DLC, so well worth it. Adds a bunch of new buildings and edicts plus an entire new campaign.

Hocevar
03-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Thought on getting Brotherhood, but giving money to Ubisoft makes me feel dirty.

TheZack
04-07-2011, 12:57 AM
I need some advice on Men of War. I've never played any of them, but they look amazing. I want to buy one, but i don't know which; suggestions? I heard Assault Squad improved on the multiplayer aspect, but i rarely play online, i'm more interested in the single player side. Does it improve on everything, or as a beginner would i be better off with the original?

LeiterJakab
04-07-2011, 01:14 AM

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by LeiterJakab http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12380#post12380)
Sanctum -33% 10,04 €

It's usually worth waiting until the final day to see if stuff comes up in a daily sale even cheaper. I too am interested in Sanctum and that is my plan.
I ended up buying it from GreenManGaming, thanks Creeping Death.

Creeping Death
04-07-2011, 01:54 AM
I need some advice on Men of War. I've never played any of them, but they look amazing. I want to buy one, but i don't know which; suggestions? I heard Assault Squad improved on the multiplayer aspect, but i rarely play online, i'm more interested in the single player side. Does it improve on everything, or as a beginner would i be better off with the original?

I tried the first Men of War and was completely flabberghasted by the time the 2nd mission started and threw me in control of a crapton of units. Scared me off and I rarely touched it again.

Then I got coaxed into getting assault squad by a friend. I found it a lot easier to get into, although it is still hard as nails to me. Will also be alot more fun to learn if you have a friend you can do mp with.

So personally I'd say Assault Squad, but either way just be prepared for a tough learning curve.

vinraith
04-07-2011, 02:00 AM

Assault Squad lacks a single player campaign, being designed primarily for multiplayer. The original MoW is nothing BUT single player campaign, though said campaign can be played co-op. Red Tide is SP-only, and markedly harder than the other two.

Basilicus
04-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Red Tide is SP-only, and markedly harder than the other two.

Wait, um...I've played a little Men of War. And I have Red Tide, but have yet to play. And Red Tide is *gulp* harder??? Is that even possible? Doesn't it break some important quantum law?

BenWah
04-07-2011, 05:40 AM
I really liked man of war a lot, really recommend it if you don't mind a very challenging game!

vinraith
04-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Wait, um...I've played a little Men of War. And I have Red Tide, but have yet to play. And Red Tide is *gulp* harder??? Is that even possible? Doesn't it break some important quantum law?

Don't take my word for it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/03/wot-i-think-men-of-war-red-tide/

MD!
04-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Tropico 3 looks tempting, so I'm going to try the demo. Anything else I should know about it that won't be obvious from playing the demo?

vinraith
04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Topico 3 looks tempting, so I'm going to try the demo. Anything else I should know about it that won't be obvious from playing the demo?

Ever play the original? It's pretty much a refined version of that, with some clever additions to obviate some of that game's problems (the big one being a transportation system so that you can actually get people to and from work without it taking them all day). It's one of my favorite city builders (as the original was), I hope you like it. If you DO end up getting it, you'll also want to pick up the "DLC" which in this case is an honest-to-god expansion pack complete with everything that entails.

LeiterJakab
04-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Tropico 3 is tempting me too, but From Dust is coming soon too.

MD!
04-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Ever play the original? It's pretty much a refined version of that, with some clever additions to obviate some of that game's problems (the big one being a transportation system so that you can actually get people to and from work without it taking them all day). It's one of my favorite city builders (as the original was), I hope you like it. If you DO end up getting it, you'll also want to pick up the "DLC" which in this case is an honest-to-god expansion pack complete with everything that entails.

Thanks!

I've realised I don't have the patience for a city-building/management game right now. If I get the urge I'll go back to Tropico 1, which I do like but haven't explored in any depth.

Baka
04-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Regarding Tropico, I now own a "Steam Special Edition" and "Absolute Power". Can't check the games right now, but does it work like the confusing triple Company of Heroes, actually starting the same game? Or is one the definitive version to install?

Doctor_Hellsturm
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Thougts on the Dragon Age: Origins all-dlc and game bundle for 10 euros? I could do with a proper rpg, but if i thought both NWN and NWN was to generic and repetitive will i be disappointed with DA?

The JG Man
04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
The universe of DA is interesting. The story is a bit by-the-numbers, The gameplay is pretty good. A lot of the DLC is reportedly rubbish, but some pretty decent and whilst the most common complaint with the xpac, Awakenenings, was that it was too easy, it was also said to be very fun. As you can hopefully tell, I've not played more than the base game. That being said, if you are buying the base game, it makes sense to get the ultimate edition so you do have the choice of everything. DA:O is a really good game. It's not fantastic, but it is enjoyable to sink many many hours into.

Ian
04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Awakenings was a bit easy as it was building on your existing characters and thus started to give you ways to absolutely decimate anything other than bosses, but there's a few interesting characters and some of the choices you make are pretty good too.

Vexing Vision
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
DA is a bit more Baldur's Gate + Mass Effect than Never Winter Nights. It's also pleasingly challenging on higher difficulty levels.

Awakenings is the kind of DLC mission that is actually really good. It was a bit short, but a lot of fun, and an interesting story that expands the world.

If you don't have it yet, and like western RPGs apart from Wizardry, you can't go wrong for 10€.

Basilicus
04-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Ditto on what folks have said about the Dragon Ages. The world is fantastic and deeply detailed, and the tactical fighting is top-notch. For such long games, they're exceptionally polished, too. There were some bugs to suffer on release, but those've long been cleaned up. While the story isn't rote, you'll find a lot of familiar beats drawn from other fantasy, but many of the characters who move the plot are complex enough that - playing through on my second-and-a-halfth time - I was still seeing new nuances and possible motivations in them that I hadn't realized before.

Between Origins, Awakenings, the DLC, and DA2 (which is actually fairly good, dammit, just rushed), I've easily spent 300-400 hours on the franchise, so you definitely get your money's worth.

cowthief skank
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
For an alternative opinion on Dragon Age - I really enjoyed it. To begin with. After 40 or 50 hours though, I grew kind of bored with it, and eventually drifted away.

It was definitely worth playing, and worth what I spent (and I got it on release at full price). I can't put my finger on what exactly caused me to drift away from it, but I suspect it was the plot - I don't remember ever really caring bout what happened to the world, and this was magnified in my second attempt.

Of course, for €10, i would definitely recommend it, just felt like putting an alternative view out there.

Oak
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Regarding Tropico, I now own a "Steam Special Edition" and "Absolute Power". Can't check the games right now, but does it work like the confusing triple Company of Heroes, actually starting the same game? Or is one the definitive version to install?

Steam Special Edition is the base game. Install Absolute Power after that, which should only be a few MB. You have to launch the game via that icon if you want the whole shebang.

Lukasz
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
For an alternative opinion on Dragon Age - I really enjoyed it. To begin with. After 40 or 50 hours though, I grew kind of bored with it, and eventually drifted away.

haha. same here. i got ultimate edition so i also got all that dlc with it. stopped at 55 hour mark just when i went to save princess.

I do recommend getting the game. i really enjoyed and want to come back to it (except those deep roads. 8 hours or so was a bit annoying and was happy that i finally left that accursed place. first few hours were fun but just too long)

ArtVandelay
04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
It's not a daily deal but Nation Red (http://store.steampowered.com/app/39800/) is 66% off. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys arcade style arena shoots. There is a good mix of weapons and perks. The best part is the Devs are continually updating the game. In the last six or seven months they've add co-op play, classes, new maps and modes and just recently added four player co-op. There is a demo on Steam.

Edit: They added a new summer achievement so it seems likely that it will be a daily deal at some point.

ComradePenguin
04-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Steam Special Edition is the base game. Install Absolute Power after that, which should only be a few MB. You have to launch the game via that icon if you want the whole shebang.

When I did this earlier both were over 3GB. If I click on Absolute Power it gives me the whole shebang but when I try and launch the vanilla version I get a steam error. Do you reckon I can just delete the local files of the special edition version?

Oak
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Just tried deleting the base game through the games list but it wouldn't allow me because Absolute Power is using it. I think you might be stuck with all 6+GB. Sorry.

TillEulenspiegel
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
My picks:
Mount & Blade: Warband -75%
Trine -90%

Thoughts on Alpha Protocol and Bully? They're both ridiculously cheap.

The JG Man
04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Frozen Synapse get? Serious Sam HD get? Homefro...ha, sorry, I can't continue. OP update incoming.

amandachen
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Bully is okay if you don't mind playing a console game on your PC. The keys are awful, and you'll probably be happier playing with a gamepad.

Flint
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Alpha Protocol seems to be a bit of a love it or hate it kind of thing. I personally adore it and think it's one of my best gaming experiences in the past few years. The action's excellent, general gameplay fun and the sheer amount of branching paths and differing dialogues in it is mindbogglingly vast. It's a game that really, really supports playing it over and over again in completely different methods.

But as said, some people dislike it. It's by Obsidian so it's flawed in parts and some people say it's insanely buggy (I never encountered anything if we're honest, but I might just be a weird exception). It might be a wee bit of a risk purchase but for that price it's definitely worth a shot, especially if you end up falling in love with it.

On a sidenote, my first holiday day and first day of the sale away from my computer and suddenly there's two games I own with summer camp achievements. Bah humbug.

SirKicksalot
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Everybody buy R.U.S.E.! It's BRILLIANT!

Icarus
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I can thoroughly recommend Trine, especially at that price. One of my favourite indie games of early 2009.

amandachen
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Are the R.U.S.E. DLC packs important or a waste of time?

Vexing Vision
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Everybody buy R.U.S.E.! It's BRILLIANT!

This.

Two reasons RUSE failed:

a) The setting. How many more WW-games do we need?
b) Why the FUCK does anyone launch a RTS title just before Starcraft 2?

The rest? This is such a good game.