PDA

View Full Version : Which HoI 2 version is considered to be the best?

Schaulustiger
01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry for making a new thread, but my question got buried in the Steam Summer Sale thread.

I own the Complete edition of Hearts of Iron 2, but I've never really gotten into it, always preferring the more non-military focused Paradox games like EU3. I want to change that now, but there seem to be quite a few versions of HoI 2, mainly the base game (+addons), Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour. I remember some people saying that DH is probably the best version, since it takes the base game and improves a lot of stuff like AI, events etc.

Is that true?

vinraith
01-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd thought the general consensus was that Arsenal of Democracy was the strongest version, but I haven't played any of the new ones myself so I can't vouch one way or the other. I'd be very interested to hear from folks that have.

timmyvos
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Arsenal of Democracy is good except it's practically unplayable in the middle- to late stages of war since its supply system is really CPU intensive. Darkest Hour has probably the best map in Hearts of Iron 2, a 1914 scenario, decisions like Hearts of Iron 3, better AI and better optimization. I consider Darkest Hour my favourite.

Malawi Frontier Guard
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Is the Kaiserreich mod still around? That is the best version of HoI2.

timmyvos
01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Is the Kaiserreich mod still around? That is the best version of HoI2.

I think they're working on adapting it to the new Darkest Hour map.

Schaulustiger
03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I just bought both Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour and see which one suits my play style best. I fiddled with AoD for a few hours yesterday and have to say that the HoI series has a way steeper learning curve than for example Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings. Maybe it's just that I am by no means a military buff, so organizing and managing armies doesn't come natural for me.