PDA

View Full Version : Games for Windows Marketplace merged with Xbox.com

J Arcane
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/press/june-2011/sitemerge/

Way to make your motives utterly transparent, Microsoft.

Rii
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
If it speaks to the PC getting as much attention from Microsoft in future as Xbox does then I'm all for it. Microsoft could actually mount a decent assault on Steam if only they weren't committed to Xbox over PC.

Ravenger
02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Seems bonkers to me - you won't encourage PC gamers to buy games if they have to go to xbox.com to do it!

There's already been some bad vibes over forcing GFWL account issues to be sorted out via that site.

J Arcane
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Not to mention that with this switch, it's almost assured you'll be forced to make any GFWL purchases with points from now on. No real prices for you, PC Gamers, thus saith Microsoft!

Dominic Tarason
02-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Not to mention that with this switch, it's almost assured you'll be forced to make any GFWL purchases with points from now on. No real prices for you, PC Gamers, thus saith Microsoft!

Given that all the Games On Demand on Xbox Live let you buy direct with real money, I think you're barking up the wrong tree there.

Vexing Vision
02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, this is not a bad thing.

Xbox Live is, from what I hear, stable, useful and pretty well-designed.

GFWL was an attempt to take code that worked on Xbox Live and port it on the PC, and like nearly all PC ports, it failed dramatically.

A merge can only mean good things, because there's no way it can get worse.

Please note that I never used Xbox Live. I have not purchased anything there. I base my extensive knowledge of XBox Live on hearsay from friends who peruse it.

laneford
02-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Xbox Live is, from what I hear, stable, useful and pretty well-designed.

This is certainly the case in my experience. As much as it shocks me to say it.

BobsLawnService
02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
This makes excellent business sense. Why maintain two sets of code that do the same thing? (Act as a games marketplace and multiplayer portal in this case.)

8-bit
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
as long as they don't try and bring gold subscriptions to the pc and developers/publishers I like stay away from going live then I don't care.

RobF
03-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Xbox.com has only really recently got to "usefully functional" stages and their shop is still majorly lacking in pretty much every other way that doesn't involve "click on it, see what's released today". You can only search by genre or by rating so anything you take for granted on just about any and every other online store isn't there. It'll take you 2 or 3 clicks just to get useful information on the game and even then, it's presented in a tiny boxout at the top with a scrollbar that you probably can't be arsed reading when everywhere else lets you just read the description on the same page and stuff.

I have no idea how bad browsing GFWL was in comparison but even if it's an improvement, it's still a step down from what everyone else is doing.

From a company who helped push digital distribution into living rooms with XBLA, it astounds me how with every passing year they seem to lose a few more clues down the back of the sofa or something.