PDA

View Full Version : Buying Steam games while in the UK on vacation?

BillButNotBen
02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Basically, will it work?

Quite a few steam games are region restricted over here, but available in the UK. I'm heading back for a week, so I was wondering if I could pick up a few of them while I' m there.

Is it likely to cause any issues when I come back?

I know that I first bought Half Life 2 when I lived in the UK, and that never had any problems outside the UK - but it's not region restricted. I also know that steam games can be gifted across regions (as someone kindly gifted me Mirror's Edge). But how about buying a game on the SAME account?

Anyone have any first hand experience?

Gentleman Jim Stacey
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
As far as I can tell, your steam account doesn't have a set location. It's just whatever country you're logged in from.

You should have no problems.

tomeoftom
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I bought a couple of games in Sweden for the ridiculous Christmas sales, and they work fine at home back in Australia (but L4D2 is still censored, which irks me deep in the brain).

BillButNotBen
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking it should be fine (as gifting and non-region-locked games work fine across regions.).
It'd be nice to be sure before spending too much cash though.

JohnnyK
02-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Not sure about this, but isn't your region determined by your billing/CC address?

BillButNotBen
02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
It might be. There is an option in the steam settings to set your region. But not sure if that carries over to the web store.
I'm using a UK CC, but out of the UK - so it occasionally throws up alerts with either Steam or the CC company and I have to get customer support to sort it out. (regional restrictions are the bane of my life!)

I'm hoping that if the steam web store allows me to buy the game then the steam client will allow me to download it... otherwise i'll be in for a shock!

Flint
02-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Not sure about this, but isn't your region determined by your billing/CC address?
Nope, it's determined by where you access the store. I've used the same Steam account in both Finland and UK and the currency etc switch automatically based on where I am, without any settings/info toggling.

JohnnyK
02-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow, so all I'd need to buy in the US store is a US proxy? Or am I missing something?

SharkSkinMan
03-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Having been in this situation last year - I moved to the UK from Australia - you'll probably find that if you try to buy stuff while you're travelling, steam won't process the payment. Annoyingly, it'll let you do everything else up to that stage.

So you'll need to contact support to get this fixed, which in my case took a couple of days. They'll let you use your credit card from outside your country (or at least in the country you're visiting), and give you a link so you can get the prices from back home. You'll also get the content from back home - not local content or prices.

Dana
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, so all I'd need to buy in the US store is a US proxy? Or am I missing something?

Nope. You would need American CC, or try to set up the Paypal account through proxy. But dont do that, people say Valve will ban or block your account if you will try to circumvent the region detection.

Schaulustiger
03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm going to jump in with a question myself: If someone from the UK gifts me a game on Steam that is not available in my region (I'm specifically talking about Football Manager 2011 which is not available here in Germany), does that cause any problems with Steam?

BillButNotBen
03-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm going to jump in with a question myself: If someone from the UK gifts me a game on Steam that is not available in my region (I'm specifically talking about Football Manager 2011 which is not available here in Germany), does that cause any problems with Steam?

AFAIK it is no problem at all. I've had games gifted to me that aren't available in Japan and they worked fine.

HOWEVER, there do seem to be a handful of games that are maybe specifically restricted in some regions - sometimes they haven't unlocked yet in that region, but maybe are scheduled to. I hear that can occasionally cause problems. But it's pretty limited i think.

After some research (and people's helpful advice here) I'm hoping it's going to be ok. As I actually have a UK card I think the CC/Billing address thing won't be a problem - the only issue might be if the fraud detection kicks in and blocks it. And none of the games i'm planning to buy should fall into the "agressively blocked" category I mentioned above. So finger's crossed!

I'll try to remember to report back with the results.
(and if it doesn't work I might be in the Smuggling thread begging someone to buy me stuff!)

BillButNotBen
29-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Just to report back:
As people suggested, it was no problem. I bought Dark Messiah and Mass Effect while in the UK (on a UK credit card) and they both work fine back in Japan.

Though after 4 years of waiting they then immediately unlocked Dark Messiah for sale in Japan anyway! grr.

Whether it would have worked if i didn't have a UK card is another matter - and be careful as there are reportedly still a few games that won't work in japan even if you have them on your account.

Thanks for all the advice.

Citruspunch
29-08-2011, 07:10 PM
couple of winters back I was away from Canada and in the UK and ran into the same issue. I could browse the store in CDN $ but not buy (via my iphone) due to my location. 1 support email + 24hrs later and they'd sorted me out.

Couldn't be missing out my them there sales now! :) :)

BillButNotBen
06-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, i said i'd report back so i'd better do it - even though i suspect i'm in a very niche situation.

So, basically no problems.
Mass Effect is region restricted in japan, but i bought it while i was in the UK (on my UK credit card with a UK address - which is why this won't help many people). It works fine back in Japan.

the reason it took me so long to report back is that the other game i got was Dark Messiah - which had been restricted in japan for years... and 3 days after i got back to Japan they started selling it here. Sigh.