PDA

View Full Version : The Ranger Thread - Class and build discussions

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Some of the other classes have threads, so let's have one about Rangers.
I am sure a more knowledgeable player can chime in with better info but here are some things I have found out.

Where can I get an owl?
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdgYcG84XvI

Why does my pet keep dying?
- Are you using an owl? Get a tanking pet, like a bear. Better yet, get two bears. I have a brown bear and a polar bear. If you swap your pet out before it dies, it will heal up while its on standby. Then you can swap out the other one when its health is low.
(You can find charmable polar bears in the icy lake in the Norn starting city (which I believe is called Readybrek?))

How can I make people like me?
- Healing Spring is a 3 point healing ability which should make you the life of the party. It creates a healing spring which gives your allies (and you, and your pet) regeneration for a short while. Try not to die while it's on cooldown.
Also if you choose a one-hander and a hunting horn you can buff the party with your parps and tootles.

Why do you always play the pet class?
- Hey, I played a shaman that one time in DAOC.

What are the different weapons like?
- Longbow is ranged and has a knockback, and the auto-attack does more damage the further away from your enemy you are. I found it a bit dull and it gave the impression it wasn't doing a lot of damage on single targets - although it does have a nice, traditional, 'rain-of-arrows' aoe, and a single target 'shoot-a-lot-of-arrows-quickly' ability.

- Shortbow is ranged and has a debuff and a poison and a stun. It's more positional than longbow, as the auto-attack has a stacking bleed which only works if you're not in the target's front arc. It gives the impression of doing more damage because it shoots quicker than the longbow, although each shot does less damage.
It's my favourite weapon for PVE, as I get to run round and round things rather than standing still a long way away.

-Big Sword
It's a big sword and you hit stuff with it. I learned the abilities and never used it again.

-One hand sword
Quite fun! There's a jump away and jump back in again move. You get to use an offhand. It's not ranged, so you will have to actually get into melee range of your targets, but that's not usually difficult. There's an evade-and-poison move which keeps missing for me, but evade is nice.

-Axe
A throwing axe. The auto-attack does a ricochet to other enemies nearby. Might be useful in situations with a lot of enemies, like PVP and events. You get to use an offhand.

- Torch
It's an offhand. You can throw the torch, which is underwhelming, or set a bonfire for pbaoe burny.

-Dagger
It's an offhand. You can throw the dagger to cripple enemies (which I think hits more than one, maybe?) or do a poisony evade thing, which seemed pointless when I had one on the sword but in PVP it might be handy to have two.

-Hunting horn
Another offhand. It does an aoe ally buff and you can summon hawks to attack your target. Why not? I would probably take one over the dagger or the torch.

-Axe in the off hand
Why did nobody tell me this was so awesome?
You get one move called "path of scars" which is described as throw a returning axe which hits enemies on its way out and its way back. They should call it "path of inadvertent pulls" since it often seems to go out of its way to aggro bystanders.
You get another move which I am sure has a name but I am choosing to call "Whirly Whirl of Whirling Death", a pbaoe of hitting things a lot with your axe, which does very nice damage as the hits do increasing damage with each one. Also the animation is rather likeable too.

Utility skills

- the 'traditional' hunter traps like spiky damage, ice, fire, bucket-o-snakes
- summons
- I tend to use the buff ones, like "the one that makes you 10% faster", "the one that makes you and your pet tougher" and "the regen one" because I am lazy.

Pets
- there are 4 pet slots: pet; other pet; underwater pet; other underwater pet.
You can tame as many as you can find, and they go into a collection from which you can choose them when you're not in combat. It's not like WOW where you could only have three pets and if you wanted to tame a new one you had to let one go.

Screwie
29-08-2012, 08:06 AM
I tried the ranger in beta as it was the class I was perhaps least interested in and it totally won me over.

The axe/torch combo is delicious and powerful. I used that for most of my time as a beta ranger with one of the bows in my 2nd weapon set. Use Bonfire or Healing Spring as your own combo field with a spray of axes that cause bleeding, add Sharpening Stones and you can stack a LOT of bleeds (plus burnings, from the Bonfire) in one nasty point blank attack. It's tremendous.

The small bird pets (raven, owl, etc) are great for travelling in PvE and WvW as they intermittently grant an AoE swiftness buff.

Bears are the tankiest of pets but ranged/semi-ranged pets are rather good for staying alive in combat too, just by the virtue of not being in the way. I like the drake with lightning breath, but more conventional ones would be the spiders and devourers.

Anthile
29-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm playing a Norn ranger and it's good fun so far. I tried out all the weapons and unlocked almost all skills, except for greatswords but unless you can somehow hurl them at your enemies I doubt it's going to be any good.
Sword/axe is my favorite at the moment, followed by the shortbow but no combination was completely useless so that's already good, I think.
Also, are there any truly ranged pets?

Screwie
29-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Also, are there any truly ranged pets?

The spiders and devourers definitely use ranged auto-attacks.

DiamondDog
29-08-2012, 11:09 AM
I started as an Asuran Ranger, after enjoying the class in the beta. I'm still not at all sure on the best setup of weapons and abilities. I started out with shortbow and axe+warhorn but outside the standard evade it didn't feel like it gave me a lot of escapes. Getting caught and smashed to bits in PvP was a bit of a problem (although I don't rule out me just being bad at the game!).

Currently trying out sword in main and axe in offhand which is a load fun with all its evades and movement. Might have to tweak my armour to survive a bit better in fights but I'm enjoying it more so far. The ability that makes your pet take all your damage seems to work well in the middle of a ruck.

Also yes, the owl looks cool as fuck, but is next to useless in a fight. I use my polar bear Bill 90% of the time and I like the idea of just getting a brown bear and having them on rotation. At at the moment in the PvP environment any buffs or abilities I could use to make my pet more dangerous just seem a waste because they get melted in big fights. Like Screwie says I think this might be where spiders have an advantage, being able to stay at a distance from all the AoE spam.

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I believe it is possible to tame a blue jellyfish. I must now tame a blue jellyfish.

Aithael
29-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Yep, cheers for the handy youtube link. I'm off to tame a jellyfish too - maybe if I've befriended one of them they will stop ganging up on me every time I go for a swim.

starmatt
29-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Hello, I have a question about pet's names. Is it normal than when you charm a new juvenile, it takes the name of your previous active pet? Cause that's pretty annoying, I'd like my pets to all have unique names! Thanks a bunch guys.

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Hello, I have a question about pet's names. Is it normal than when you charm a new juvenile, it takes the name of your previous active pet? Cause that's pretty annoying, I'd like my pets to all have unique names! Thanks a bunch guys.

It appears to be more that your two pet slots each have a name. So slot one would be "Fluffy", and slot two would be "Lil President", for example. Assuming you had a cat called "Fluffy" active and you tamed a polar bear, you'd have two choices depending on your answer to the "make this pet active now?" question it asks you.
1) Make the pet active now. You now have a polar bear called "Fluffy" in one of your two pet slots, and in your pet inventory collection thing you have a cat called "juvenile snow leopard".
2) don't make the pet active - you still have an active cat called Fluffy, and in your collection you have a "juvenile polar bear". (I think - I've never actually said no to that question yet).

From my own experience, swapping a pet out of "storage" and into an active slot gives it the generic "juvenile whatever" name so you'd have to rename it, but swapping between the two active slots while playing doesn't change the names.
It would be nice if you could perma-name all your pets in storage, but it's not a dealbreaker for me that you can't.

starmatt
29-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah it's not a big issue. It's still kind of immersion breaking. Anyway, I hope it's a bug and that they're working on it!

Taverius
29-08-2012, 03:33 PM
If you want your pets to be tanky, your choices are the bears, the two jellyfishes, and the armorfish.

The Moas have a self-heal as well and while they're not as hardy as the bears they're decent. They also share a trait major with jellyfishes, so they're potentially a good choice for someone who puts points in the beast mastery line.

Nalano
29-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I am a tree.
I have a fern hound by the name of Maumau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising).
I have a shark by the name of Chompers.
I have an eagle named Sam (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ukmdBSHg1qc7bf6o6_r1_400.jpg).
And I have a cat named Chairman Mao (http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%BF%DF).

The cat, being amphibious, can fit in both a land and sea slot simultaneously, so in effect I have three pets available rather than four.

I like longbow because I like pew pew pew (http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMUQJATVjAVJ2FWCWs2Bg1j96LQ2DDZcRXBUPZBPgE) tab pew pew pew tab pew pew pew tab pew pew pew. Shortbow I use to run away with.

With my fernhound's regen, my ability regen, my signet regen and my trait regen, I am a very selfish, but very alive ranger. As it stands, my fernhound can tank three veteran mobs five levels above him.

President Weasel
30-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Axe in the off hand, sword in the main hand, the cuisinart special! Why did nobody tell me offhand axe was so good?
It slices! It dices! It minces! It chops! It does a pbaoe whirlwind of death move!

I have now got a Polar Bear called Fluffy, a blue jellyfish called Jelly Baby, an Armourfish called Mr Grumpy, and a dog called Wooferton Smythe. Life is pretty good. Two bears for infinite tanking would probably mean I die less, but there's something nice about having a dog following you around. Also, a bear called Wooferton Smythe would be stupid.
The armourfish and blue jelly and the dog can all be found in Lion's Arch, so they're relatively easy to pick up. To get the armourfish though, you do need to find and swim through some underwater tunnels.

Taverius
31-08-2012, 10:20 AM
But the sword is a bit naff in that it has no range closer, serpent's strike misses a lot, and both it and Hornet Sting/Monarch's Leap tend to make you fall off ledges.

Greatsword lacks the excellent pbaoe, but it has a daze/stun, a block/knockback-counter that toggles as a ranged cripple, and a ludicrously long range (1100!) closer that's also a leap finisher in groups. It also hits in a 180 degree arc with every damn swing.

Offhand axe works much better with a mainhand axe imo, I use that or Axe/Warhorn with a Greatsword for melee.

hawksbane
31-08-2012, 10:58 AM
yay, a Ranger thread. I have a Norn Ranger too, the Rain of arrows cripples so you can slow an advance - although I tried this on a bunch of lashtail devourers and got thoroughly mashed.

On a similar note, the birds seem to be the best at not getting poisoned but the owl is universally rubbish (I use a Raven); but I want a hawk does anyone know where can I get a hawk? and a Shark.

As for weapons, I love the long bow (probably because I hate running around), also use the sword & torch; but have unlocked every weapon now and different combinations seem better for different situations.

Taverius
31-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Shark is at the bottom of Viathan Arm, Viathan Lake, Kessex Hills. Human 15-25 area.

Haven't seen where you can get the hawk yet.

hawksbane
31-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Shark is at the bottom of Viathan Arm, Viathan Lake, Kessex Hills. Human 15-25 area.

Haven't seen where you can get the hawk yet.

ah thanks, haven't checked out the Human areas yet, there seem to be lots of Hawks around the Dessai Plain [?] Charr 15-25 area, but I haven't found one I can tame - might need to go to the beginners area.

Shooop
31-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I saw a person throwing axes when the first day I played the full game and wondered who had access to those. They look like fun. Definitely going to make a ranger in the near future.

President Weasel
31-08-2012, 03:56 PM
But the sword is a bit naff in that it has no range closer, serpent's strike misses a lot, and both it and Hornet Sting/Monarch's Leap tend to make you fall off ledges.

Greatsword lacks the excellent pbaoe, but it has a daze/stun, a block/knockback-counter that toggles as a ranged cripple, and a ludicrously long range (1100!) closer that's also a leap finisher in groups. It also hits in a 180 degree arc with every damn swing.

Offhand axe works much better with a mainhand axe imo, I use that or Axe/Warhorn with a Greatsword for melee.

It is true that I've inadvertently hurled myself to death at least twice now that I remember. Maybe I'll pick up a greatsword again - or go for double axe.

Squiz
31-08-2012, 04:11 PM
It is true that I've inadvertently hurled myself to death at least twice now that I remember. Maybe I'll pick up a greatsword again - or go for double axe.Leap skills are a two-edged sword as they can you get out of position really easily. This is especially true for jumping puzzles... :|

Lightbulb
01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
In PvE I have been using Longbow :-

1v1 Lay traps, 3 for weakness, start backing off, 2 for flurry of shots, they will hit the traps (burning and cripple), 4 to push them back, 5 to rain arrows and cripple again, 1 to finish off.

Vs groups put the rain of arrows sooner then kite in circles - or switch to great sword which is practically a AeO with the basic swings.

I definitely the traps the most useful - though only the burning and cripple ones. I use the condition removal as my third utility since getting rooted leads to a swift death.

----

PvE is definitely a million times easier with a bear (or two :)) since the cats I was using before got 1 shotted by any melee enemies a few levels above mine. The bears seem to be able to tank anything 3 or 4 levels higher for long enough. Especially if you switch pets when one get low.

The polar bear is trivial to get (won't give spoilers) so I would recommend to all for PvE.

---

Recently I have switched to Shortbow and Axe and Torch based on conditions - more for a change than because its more effective. I was underwhelmed by Axe main hand at first but then I realised it hits 3 targets at once so its actually not that bad. Torch has good synergy with axe main hand 2 (burning field + projectile finisher), and the area burning also works pretty well with traps.

---

Sword, meh. He prances and dances but he doesn't do a lot. Probably just need to practice though! :) Maybe better in PvP.

---

Horn I like since it gives a speed buff. Duration is pretty limited though. I tend to pick this up for WvW. The summon birds seems to do next to no damage though with a pretty long cool down.

Dagger - not really used it to be honest.

magiuspaulus
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Just found out the GW2 RPS forums :)
Currently i have a longbow/shortbow swap, which seems to work nicely for me (but then again, i'm only lvl 26 atm).
I do have a question, a very basic one, but i fail to find a good answer to this:
Should i go for Power, precision or is a combination between the 2 the best? It is not very obvious to me, though on 1st sight power seems better. The same for the traits, i have a hard time choosing between the 1st (bonus to power and +condition damage) and 2nd (bonus toprecision + crit chance). The condition damage is nice to have with the shortbow, but the +crit chance seems better in general. Any help would be appreciated!

Nalano
03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm level 72, still using long/shortbow.

I'm as selfish (http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMUQJATVjAVJ2FWCWs2Bg1j96LQ2DDZcRXBUPZBPgE) as they come (three signets!) and it works great. What really makes the build is the Piercing Arrows: What that means is that all arrows go their full travel length, so like column shot in AoC, they just run through mobs of enemies, cutting a line through them. In other words, all my shots are AoE.

You don't know how it feels until you knock back 3+ enemies with a single Point Blank Shot, then unleash a Barrage and a Rapid Fire that hurts them all.

And since I have four different types of regeneration, just about any pet I put up front does perfectly fine. Hell, I've been dabbling with Summon Fern Mastiff to have two fern hounds (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Lanos/gw121.jpg) running around with me, knocking things down and eating them.

President Weasel
03-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Woah, you are hells of selfish. I am running three signets but at least I am using the healing spring rather than the "screw everyone else" troll unguent.
I'm also experimenting with using a pink moa, since a) Pink. Moa. and b) it's got an aoe heal ability that will occasionally proc, which should allow me to give a bit of extra heals to the party without having to remember to press F2 for the fern hound's command heal.

I really like the lynx model, and it does a very satisfying amount of damage, but as soon as a fight gets interesting I go back to wishing I was running double bear and could basically tank forever. Bear/Giant Flamingo should work nearly as well and allow me to do a wee bit more damage. Plus, Pink. Moa.

Nalano
04-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Woah, you are hells of selfish.

:D

10characters

zoombapup
27-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I ding'd level 80 on ranger a few days ago. Getting my arse kicked in the final story mode thingy. Advice welcome!

From what I can tell, the "level 80" guys in the final story quest (victory or death) are actually level 140-ish for some of them (seems pretty random which, some go down easy, others literally take 10 minutes to kite ONE of them while my little group does damage).

Anyone done this story quest got any pointers? I wasted maybe 50 silver on trying to do it (you have to repair your armour enough times they give you an armour repair place within the quest itself).

Another thing, they give you a revive orb just before this quest. Think they were taking the piss with that?

duff
27-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I ding'd level 80 on ranger a few days ago. Getting my arse kicked in the final story mode thingy. Advice welcome!

From what I can tell, the "level 80" guys in the final story quest (victory or death) are actually level 140-ish for some of them (seems pretty random which, some go down easy, others literally take 10 minutes to kite ONE of them while my little group does damage).

Anyone done this story quest got any pointers? I wasted maybe 50 silver on trying to do it (you have to repair your armour enough times they give you an armour repair place within the quest itself).

Another thing, they give you a revive orb just before this quest. Think they were taking the piss with that?

What kind of a bloody muppet can't do the last quest. LOL ITS A GROUP QUEST U NOOB!!!!1111!!ONE!!1

zoombapup
27-09-2012, 10:47 PM
NOOB indeed duffin old chap. Yeah, for some reason I didn't see the "requires 5 people" bit at the door when I went in the instance :)

Man that quest is loooooong. I was nackered at the end. Can't say it dropped anything brilliant either. But at least its done now. I can retire to my knitting and crochet. Now somebody fetch me a cup of cocoa and read me a story :)

duff
28-09-2012, 01:50 AM
So does that mean you'll do some pvp now? :P

harhis23
28-09-2012, 05:50 AM
I often used Swoop in my journey. :) Dagger and axe are perfect as well.

zoombapup
28-09-2012, 08:06 AM
So does that mean you'll do some pvp now? :P

Of course honey plums. I'll do pvp anytime. Just need to figure out a build. Still watching instruction vids for that kind of thing. Try it tonight?

Squiz
28-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Of course honey plums. ... Try it tonight?And in the game!!

Hahahaha! :)

zoombapup
28-09-2012, 08:33 AM
And in the game!!

Hahahaha! :)

Oh you wag!

I still don't know what I'm doing in PVP, so if anyone wants to see truly horrible play, join us tonight!

zoombapup
28-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Holy carp. I just saw in a video that your pet can res you if you're downed! I didn't know that! I just spammed the keys that weren't on cooldown when downed. :) no wonder I revived so much. You live and learn.

harhis23
12-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah... I can agree more. Same as me before. Just keep on playing.

Labbes
22-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Believing that the leaked patch notes will be entirely accurate, I came up with this ranger build yesterday:
Klick me! (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAsX3fjEV511VuVo2Bili9knmiJ1f2D+7oHdxK7AB-j00AYrAiuSGiLy0CMKCCtBiIBQlCd2DJFGocoGb1sIasa9kqXw 0oRWlC4Nw8KJ1HIILEwi1A-w)
I've been wanting to do a condition ranger for a while, I don't really think it's going to be nearly as strong as the beastmaster bunker I currently run, but I hope it's going to be fun as well! It's certainly the most AoE a Ranger can bring to a WvW zerg.
Basically, I put as much into Condition Damage and Toughness (because of the runes of the Undead) as possible, while trying not to neglect Vitality and Healing Power too much. The Power and Precision stats are mostly side effects. This build is meant to be played mainly with Axe and Torch (which can probably be replaced with an offhand weapon of choice). There is very little survivability; in theory, I would rely on the sigils, as well as the sword evades, to survive: The axe is good for tagging enemies, so you should get some healing out of the sigil, while the weapon swap fury is useful to fire off the on-crit condition removal.
Entangle is the elite of choice because it ruins people's days. It's possible to switch the -50% falling damage trait for the reduced cooldown on Survival skills, making Entangle more readily available. Also, you could probably switch one of the traps for Lightning Reflexes to add some survivability then, with the reduced CD and all.
The sword/axe set is for the (as of yet unconfirmed) pull on Axe 4, which makes most sense together with sword and it's single-target damage. Also, as stated above, sword is really useful with its multiple evades.
Healing Spring could be replaced by basically any other healing skill, I put it in because it has the most utility and you can heal siege with it, which is always good.
Pets are Wolf for the fear and Moa for the Fury, because they won't deal much damage due to the absence of beastmastery traits. Drakes could also be useful, but I'm not sure whether my own condition damage counts for the pet or not.
I went for +condition duration food, as I think it makes more sense there than the measly +10% on a weapon, as well as for +condition damage nourishment.

I'll probably run this inefficient but fun trapper as soon as I have run Sorrow's Embrace some more to get the silly helmet!

hawksbane
22-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I'll be interested to see how that works, I'm not really sold on condition builds for rangers.

adding the pull to the offhand axe means that I could use greatsword - axe/axe for an alternative weapon set, but as I run longbow most of the time I don't want people getting close to me.
the improvements to the longbow are welcome but didn't get the only improvement I wanted, which was an improved cast time for Point Blank Shot - it's currently pretty useless in any form of PvP.

I also would have like them to add blind to the number 4 skill on warhorn which they haven't done either.

The spotter trait now looks pretty enticing if you're running in a group (especially with AH Guardians), while the new grandmaster trait would be pretty good for regen rangers.

the pet's damage nerf doesn't bother me too much, as I don't spec for pet damage; but I can see some people being a bit peeved; they didn't really need nerfing in my opinion.

the other thing they should have done and didn't is to change Signet of the wild and move it to the healing skills, then a new signet to boost crit damage and you could build a really good signet ranger, since at the moment all the signets are defensive.

Malawi Frontier Guard
23-06-2013, 01:41 AM
I'm helping you with your stat spreads a bit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAsX3fjEV511VuVo2Bili9knmiJ1f2D+7oHdxK7AB-jUzAorkhwGENFAmWgRRQoMBkSAl9KiGb1sIasqFMtJRUt3AzhQ EVLEwi1A-w

Also I have to say this, for a condition build you don't have a lot of conditions (you don't get that many bleed stacks outside of the elite). Maybe think about adding spike trap, and how about that reef drake?

Easy
23-06-2013, 11:09 AM
The long sword has a rather satisfying leap into combat like a friggin' hawk + the claw like a huge friggin' bear! The animations with both of these animals actually appearing is nice. So I tend to use it quite a lot. But the axe in the offhand? Why didn't I ever think of that? Sounds very cool.

Labbes
24-06-2013, 02:59 PM
So, after a bit of sPvP testing, I changed my build a little to this: Klick me! (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAsX3fjEVx11VuVo2BilCBlnmCOZe2D+7oHdxK7AB-j00AYrAiuSGiLy0CMKCCtBiIBQlCd2DJFGocoGb1sIasa9kqXw 0oRWlC4xx8KJ1HIILEwi1A-w)
I switched out the Frost Trap for the Spike Trap because while chilling is nice, it doesn't kill people as fast as bleed does (I'm thinking about switching the poison one for the frost one though, as chilling is simply insanely useful with its combo field)
The "keen edge" Marksmanship trait will be changed to trigger on opponents with low HP, so there's some more bleeding. The second Marksmanship trait I'm not so sure about, I might take Spotter to give +150 precision to allies, since there already is lots of cripple/chill in this build.
I'm not entirely sure about the Wilderness Survival traits, as there's 4 useful ones and I can only pick two. I don't think taking regeneration without buffing regeneration is worth it, offense is the best defense!
You might ask, is it effective? To be quite frank, it is not. In a 1v1 situation, I don't think I have won against a competent build. I have won against crappy players however, so that's at least something.
It is fun though. Very, very much so. With the shitton of AoE conditions you can throw out, you might go down first in a 3v3 situation, but you get rallied most of the time because people die before you do. A lot. Also they are often so low on health that they can't afford to stomp.
You can Entangle people just outside of a point to cap it while they can only watch.
Burning has a more than 100% uptime, the Flame trap itself accounting for 50% if the enemy does not move out of it.
Also, there's a lot more micromanaging involved than with my BM bunker, I mostly forgot about the utility on the sword/axe set, so maybe this is more effective than I think.

I'm helping you with your stat spreads a bit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAs...AzhQEVLEwi1A-w (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAsX3fjEV511VuVo2Bili9knmiJ1f2D+7oHdxK7AB-jUzAorkhwGENFAmWgRRQoMBkSAl9KiGb1sIasqFMtJRUt3AzhQ EVLEwi1A-w)

I thought about something like that, simply due to the fact that a one-trick condition pony can be hardcountered by a Guardian. With stats like that, I'd have much more evenly distributed damage between weapons and conditions.
The problem is that focusing on toughness/condition damage provides the needed survivability. By taking three traps, you sacrifice a lot of the awesome skills that make life as a ranger easier. I don't feel confident enough to go glass cannon without lightning reflexes :D

Also I have to say this, for a condition build you don't have a lot of conditions (you don't get that many bleed stacks outside of the elite). Maybe think about adding spike trap, and how about that reef drake?

Thanks, that is completely true. Unfortunately, pet condition damage doesn't scale with your own, so I focused on utility pets where pet stats don't matter. I might substitute the wolf for a reef drake though, depending on how useful fear will prove in a WvW environment.

Edit: As an added bonus, this build annoys the hell out of thieves. It doesn't kill them, of course, but at least they don't get to kill you easily either.

jha4ceb
24-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Is the trap build purely for PvP, or do people run it in PvE too? It's been useful for leveling, but I don't know whether to continue using it on my ranger once he reaches 80.

Labbes
24-06-2013, 04:26 PM
If you're the only condition-based player in a dungeon group, this could probably work if you switch one of the traps for a stunbreaker of your choice and maybe Entangle for Rampage as One (haven't used Entangle in dungeons, not sure how effective this is).
In open world PvE, I'd switch the pets to two drakes of your choice, because drakes are awesome.

Doodier
26-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I decided to change my build to be more of a support class, since I think my DPS isn't that big anyway. So I'll use more spirits soon as I think there are quite a lot of benefits to bringing conditions to the party damage output and they were kind of buffed by the last patch. Might even swith my shortbow/longbow weapon combo to one melee weapon/longbow because you need to put the spirits near the enemies if you have a lot of melee classes in your party. Will see how it will work out.

I wish ANet would implement something like 2-builds-button where you could switch between two premade builds when out of combat.

Xanadu
26-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Agreed, the trait/build UI is a big step back from GW1. Having to completely retrait every time you want to tweak a build is awful. You have to use the wiki or pvp to tweak builds as you can't even look at trait descriptions until you've assigned the points, and if you click 6 times rather than 5 you need to start over. Awful design, and all for a very minor gold sink.

Squiz
26-06-2013, 04:31 PM
... as you can't even look at trait descriptions until you've assigned the points, and if you click 6 times rather than 5 you need to start over...I think you acutally can look at trait descriptions, even without putting points into a given trait line. I absolutely agree however that this is awful design and pretty unnecessary after all of this had already been implemented in GW1.

noaru
26-06-2013, 04:37 PM
You don't need to click 5 times. Just click on the minor/major trait you want to select and it'll ask you if you want to put in 5/10/15 etc points in the tree so that it becomes active.

Bankrotas
30-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Trying to main Ranger, however, unlike thief, I don't have my build set out for me, my thief build was made in BWE#1 days and was fun ever after, now it's buffed, but for now ranger somehow is fun too.

Do like GS a lot, what kind of build could I find to make it more focused on it?

Labbes
15-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Here are some more post-patch builds.

After playing lots of WvW with the trapper build, I arrived at something like this (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQNAR3fjEVx11VuVo2BilCBt/miJZe2DD5oHdxK7AB-jU0Aorkh0AQcRmWgRVCCtBiKBn9QShBKHqxWNLiGrWPp6FMVqg sHHzrkUfggsQALWDA-w). I switched out the sword/axe for GS because I am not l33t enough to handle the sword properly and because GS is a fantastic weapon. This build is actually far better than I initially thought. While you may need to switch one of the traps (most likely poison trap, but flame trap is not as strong due to the insane burn uptime either) for something like Lightning Reflexes or the Condi Signet, this clears camps insanely fast and is really, really strong in small-scale fights.
It's a bit pants in a zerg though, as the range you can "throw" the traps isn't very high. Good when the enemy runs towards you, but not so good for running the pain train.

So for zerg-specific purposes, I made a shout ranger a week ago or so that looks a bit like this (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBhYD7koiKL7CyvCWLDIrH6x+9HtCTi7xo4JhYKraLR9A-j0yAoLFZ0GA5AggkI6Dc2bRjpxgWOLiGreBTpSEV7SKiWtUAXM GA-w). Using "Guard" and +boon duration stuff (Omnomberry something with +boon duration), you have a 100% regen and swiftness uptime. Thanks to "spotter", you bring a bit of added oomph to the zerg. Thanks to all your other stuff, you don't die easily but still deal some damage. Note that I am not running one, but two bears. This has not been tested extensively, but weakness and chill can be really good in huge fights, also the bears never die so they can actually take conditions from you with the signet when you need them to. It's a bit annoying to cast Guard all the time, but it works pretty well overall. While I made this with a zerg in mind, it also works in small-ish scale fights. It's not as good as the above trapper build, but you obviously can't change your build on the fly, and it kind of works.
Also note that the Vampirism runes can be exchanged for basically anything you want to; Healing Power isn't as high as I would like it to be, but I'm quite partial to turning into a mist and not into a corpse. The runes have saved my arse a lot in the past.

Yesterday evening I didn't want to study, and theorycrafted the ultimate ranger zerg pain train. Yes. The Ultimate Ranger Zerg Pain Train. This will only ever work in a zerg. This build requires you to dish out as much damage as you can in order to survive. Have I got your attention? Very well. Here it is. (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBhODbEpqyuxyvi1OQseon9/HmC+XInC/7pUW1Wi6B-jkyAYLEcngM5IQEEEiDc2rIaslzioxqXwUxER1uDMRA8jB-w) Note that GS as well as the bear stay from the previous build.
This build relies on Opening Strike to provide the critical strikes, since Precision is very low. Here are all the things you gain by killing someone with this build:
- Health (Sigil of Restoration)
- Opening Strike (because of the GM trait)
- Meaning another crit for your Maul!
Thanks to Cavalier's gear, your crit damage is really, really high, while not sacrificing much survivability. Since I haven't tested it yet, I have put a lot of survivability into this, with condi removal, Lightning Reflexes, Runes of Vampirism (the reason for taking the heal with the lowest cooldown, since the runes benefit massively from it), -stun duration food and bears with debuffs (Muddy terrain works offensively and defensively, as you really need to land your mauls). I am not sure if this is actually needed, depending on well this works, you might switch out food for +crit damage or effect X on kill. Pets could be drakes, Runes of Infiltration make your damage go even higher etc.
Also, you can sit in the back with Axes and have an added +10% crit damage. Which is awesome. Unfortunately, this build does not have the -falling damage trait, which is a bit sad, but oh well.

hawksbane
15-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Interesting, your Ultimate Ranger is very nearly my build but the Cavalier trinkets seem a bit pointless with only 14% crit chance.

If I was going to mod my build for WvW I would head towards a regen ranger something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBjODbkoqyuxSxC1OQseon93HOD+zI/hRlyquSUPA-jEzAYLioZiCAVBj2kIiDcCcRjpxgW1QLqERjqZhadNm+NRA-w

Ideally the armour would be Power, Precision, Healing; but that doesn't exist... also sigils on ranged weapon for more damage and stealing health when they get close.
And yes, I work well in a zerg but not so well in small scale stuff.

EDIT:
Actually, the new celestial armour gives you the chance to boost survivability a bit without compromising too much on the precision
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQNBjODbkoKyuySxi1OQseonA1HOD+zI/hRlyq2SUPA-jEzAYLioZiSQIMRj4An8X0YyLoFVGN2OAgaO16aMtbi0vAA-w

you could of course use the runes of Vampirism for the escape and crit chance would still be 42%.

hawksbane
18-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I just stole this from the Ele thread in order to make it look less like Squirrel is spamming, but here are the Ranger episodes from 'Sitting on a couch'.

http://sittingonacouch.com/page/1/?s=Arrow+to+the+knee

Haven't watched them yet, so this is a much for my benefit as anyone elses.

Squiz
18-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Spoiler: They are great! Lots of hints and tips. Nearly every episode there is something I didn't know or think of using, especially the Ranger with his huge amount of pets has access to excellent combo possibilities. They also do cover Rangers in PvE and are currently running a special on Fractals, so that might be interesting for some.

Bankrotas
19-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Any text version? I usually read stuff while at work, listening to it is rare luxury.

Squiz
19-07-2013, 08:06 AM
At the moment I am not aware of the existence of any transcripts, sorry Bankrotas. :/ Most of the episodes last ~60 minutes, so transcripting them would be too much work I suppose. However, if I stumble across any interesting forum threads mentioned in the casts, I'll link the here.

hawksbane
22-07-2013, 11:44 AM
so apparently high zerker Rangers are usefull in high level fractals, so there is hope for me yet ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1irn7c/rangers_high_level_fractal_guide/

Labbes
22-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Interesting, your Ultimate Ranger is very nearly my build but the Cavalier trinkets seem a bit pointless with only 14% crit chance.

If I was going to mod my build for WvW I would head towards a regen ranger something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBjODbkoqyuxSxC1OQseon93HOD+zI/hRlyquSUPA-jEzAYLioZiCAVBj2kIiDcCcRjpxgW1QLqERjqZhadNm+NRA-w

Ideally the armour would be Power, Precision, Healing; but that doesn't exist... also sigils on ranged weapon for more damage and stealing health when they get close.
And yes, I work well in a zerg but not so well in small scale stuff.

EDIT:
Actually, the new celestial armour gives you the chance to boost survivability a bit without compromising too much on the precision
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQNBjODbkoKyuySxi1OQseonA1HOD+zI/hRlyq2SUPA-jEzAYLioZiSQIMRj4An8X0YyLoFVGN2OAgaO16aMtbi0vAA-w

you could of course use the runes of Vampirism for the escape and crit chance would still be 42%.

That is eerily similar, great minds think alike I guess? You are of course completely correct that the build is utterly useless, that's what I get for theorycrafting at 3AM. I rethought the very low precision and arrived at this (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBhODbEoqyuxyvi1OQseon9/H2D+XoF5K4/UW1Wi6B-jUDBYLI4OCyEDQkDAEEIEFwJPLaNBKgljAFOMasKGY6TER1eDF RrWIgRjBA-w), but I'm not sure the survivability is enough and I'm not going to invest into those trinkets just to test a build that's probably too squishy.
In the first build you posted, would you use Entangle as a getaway tool? I haven't used Entangle in a non-condition build, not sure how well it does when compared to RaO, especially considering your build would stay at range. Also, I don't think Sigil of Intelligence is as good as it sounds, even with a crit chance of ~30%, but it gets worse the higher your crit chance becomes.

The posted ranger podcasts are really really good and have made me experiment a lot with pets. Pigs still haven't worked out really well for me, but Pumba is going to accompany me for a while.

Squiz
22-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Don't forget that you'll rarely be running alone, even in WvW, and that often the party can provide you with Fury and/or Banner of Discipline (170 Precision, 15% Crit damage), which will help your crit rate quite a bit.

hawksbane
22-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I tend to use RaO for escaping, Entangle is also really usefull but I see it as more offensive (somewhat ironically).
I wouldn't go near Sigil of Intelligence; so I'm not sure how it ended up on that axe - maybe I was over thinking somewhat.

I've also started changing my pets around, although I hate the fact that I have to keep renaming them; it is such a simple change for Anet to make.

I would stick with your original traits and go for something like this since I doubt you will be able to go more that 100% crit damage:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBhODbEoqyuxyvi1OQseon9/HmC+XInC/7pUW1Wi6B-jUzA4OioZiBE5AgggQUgTeLaNBGwqGQhjRjVtgpKB0nLq2bUEt ahAGNGA-w

jha4ceb
22-07-2013, 03:22 PM
My ranger hit 80 today (eighth and final class! woo!). Like the look of that build for for PvE/WvW stuff -- will give it a look.

Squiz
22-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Dammit, you beat me to it! My poor Mesmer is still sitting at level 71 because I cannot be bothered to shop for the Tailoring profession. Soon...

Xanadu
22-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Gz Saph. I hadn't realised anyone else was crazy enough to level all 8 classes.
Now I realise you, me and squirrel are all barking.
Will be a while till my final 3 get there, and my ranger will be last of all I think as he's only 20 or so now.

Doodier
22-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I would say you can level ranger quite easily in WvW with his #5 longbow skill. Just make sure he can endure a hit or two, stay in the pack or zerg and make it rain! :)

hawksbane
23-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Rapid Fire: This skill now applies vulnerability on each hit.
This is a backdoor nerf, since spreading vulnerability over the duration of the skill will decrease it's effectiveness, which is a real shame as vulnerability was the one thing a longbow ranger could do really well.

Hunter’s Shot: This skill no longer applies vulnerability on each hit, but now grants the ranger stealth for 3 seconds.

This makes this an approach shot, pretty much a 1 time only use, as I posted in the General forum hit them with rapid fire, go invis and close the gap fast. Could also be used in conjunction with PBS for running away.

Point Blank Shot: Increased the range from 600 to 900.
what's the point, you can't hit anything at 600 range anyway.

Maul: This skill now applies vulnerability instead of bleeding.
This is pretty good in conjunction with the changes above due the gap closer in swoop.

Counterattack—Crippling Throw: This skill can now be used while moving. Increased the cripple duration to 5 seconds.
Wow a buff ;)

Whirling Defense: This skill now grants 4 seconds of retaliation for the duration of the skill.
This i actually pretty good, offhand axe is starting to look like a really good option.

Call of the Wild: This skill is now a blast finisher.
I've re-written this about 3 time now, can't decide if it makes the skill OP or is completely useless; either way expect a nerf in the next patch.

Remorseless: This trait now reapplies Opening Strike when the ranger gains stealth or kills an enemy.
that does make this trait quite enticing, might have to have a look.

Labbes
23-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Stealth. Blast Finisher. Moving while throwing the thing. Retaliation on Whirling Defense. This is fantastic.

Malawi Frontier Guard
23-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Call of the Wild: This skill is now a blast finisher.
I've re-written this about 3 time now, can't decide if it makes the skill OP or is completely useless; either way expect a nerf in the next patch.

The class had no blast finishers on player skills at all. They had to put one somewhere.

hawksbane
23-07-2013, 05:07 PM
true, but putting on on the warhorn seems wrong, it will either be completely useless because people will use the warhorn before entering combat (although it could be used for stacking additional might) or OP when used with loads of blast fields around as it gives semi-random boons & conditions all over the place.

I predict uproar and a rapid re-think from Anet.

Yargh
23-07-2013, 05:11 PM
but but but, what else do you do with a warhorn? Toot it?

Malawi Frontier Guard
23-07-2013, 05:16 PM
If you stack might with fire field you do it before combat, so it's in a perfect place. Also, you can only blast one field per finisher and it's on a 35 second cooldown, so it won't put random buffs everywhere anyway.

hawksbane
23-07-2013, 06:01 PM
OK, maybe it will work but I can't see melee rangers suddenly becoming popular in WvW.
I'll be giving Longbow/GS a try I think, or sword & axe.

EDIT: Actually I take it back, the warhorn could be really useful for trap Rangers, with Axe,Torch/Sword,Warhorn as an alternative weapon combination.

jha4ceb
23-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Do rangers melee much in dungeons/etc?

Malawi Frontier Guard
23-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Well they should.

I wrote this in all caps, but the forums don't let me. Context.

hawksbane
24-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Actually this really good and removed my main complaint about Point blank shot; although not completely since you still can't use it independently. Still not too happy with the vulnerability nerf though.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-Changes-on-July-23-2013/first#post2468516

On the other hand, if you trait remorseless then you can get 5 stacks of vulnerability every 12 secs, guess I'm going to go a bit more glass cannon.

MonkeyMonster
24-07-2013, 11:07 AM
guess I'm going to go a bit more glass cannon.

better survivability for traps in that form... oh wait :D

Squiz
24-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Concerning glassy PvE Rangers, these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ-39_C8LI&feature=youtu.be) two videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bjq1vcnhpQ&feature=youtu.be) might be of interest to some. Strong language warning at least for the second video.

Edit: And here is the... eww... guru link: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84268-the-perfect-dps-ranger-guide-for-real/

Bankrotas
30-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Checked my idea of party of infinite fury, possible, but very hard to achieve and doesn't like mistakes :/

1s too late and fury finishes before you can restack on someone else. Infinite fury on yourself became kinda easy to achieve.

hawksbane
17-08-2013, 01:16 PM
this is probably a bad idea, but I've been hatching this post for some time:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/Evolution-of-the-Ranger/first#post2645205

rip it apart if you must, but do it politely.

Malawi Frontier Guard
20-08-2013, 08:47 AM
ranger (plural rangers)
One who ranges; a rover.
1. A roving robber; one who seeks plunder.
2. A keeper, guardian, or soldier who ranges over a region (generally of wilderness) to protect the area or enforce the law.
3. (obsolete) That which separates or arranges; a sieve.
4. A dog that beats the ground in search of game.

rover
Etymology: Middle English roven (“to wander, to shoot an arrow randomly”)

Bankrotas
21-08-2013, 10:13 AM
So been thinking a lot and decided to try and give a go for my perma(sometimeaoe)fury build.
Goes on something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRBMhd+0IRVkdllmFrlgo9gTm3ScBvCxyzYUdKl7ECpaB-jgyAIMMM2QkxbgEBiIaqAWCsIaslyioxqrx0vER1m+ioVLEwoF A-e

hawksbane
21-08-2013, 05:28 PM
it's a bit tanky, if I were you I'd switch at least the weapons and armour to zerker. Unless you want to boost the condition damage in which case Rampagers (would also boost the precision).

Bankrotas
21-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Con damage from what, that tini bit of poison and one bleed skill? Berserker would be better for offensive build. I love being tanky.

hawksbane
23-08-2013, 09:35 AM
trouble is, there isn't much point in having 100% crit chance if you're not getting any crit damage. so at the very least use Cavalier weapons.

wasn't sure about the con damage, you put 30 in wilderness which also boosts it though.

Labbes
23-08-2013, 09:39 AM
I decided to go for a Axe/Axe Axe/Warhorn build in WvW because axes are cool. I might switch out one of the two for GS or sometimes LB, but I love offhand training too much to take a 2-handed weapon.

hawksbane
23-08-2013, 04:16 PM
since they added a pull to the offhand axe it has become a great offhand option, but I currently prefer sword for the main hand for the extra damage and the evades (I am pretty squishy), not being able to interupt the chain on skill 1 is irritating though.

Squiz
23-08-2013, 04:52 PM
As per Malawi's Useful-Class-Quirks-and-Glitches thread, you actually can interrupt the sword chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwHpIxY52U

hawksbane
23-08-2013, 05:12 PM
but I shouldn't need to. and sometimes there isn't time to hit another skill and then dodge.

Labbes
15-10-2013, 11:22 AM
A week ago or so I came up with this build that could be quite fun, but I haven't really tested it yet. The runes are quite cheap, and I wanted to try a human elite skill because always using Rampage as One gets old after a while. I intended it for WvW group fights, I actually have no idea how well this would do when roaming, might work if you switch the pets for snow wolf/snow owl.
I would guess that it relies too much on the elite, but as I said it hasn't been tested yet due to lack of a reliable and fast internet connection ;)
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQNAR3XlIVyr2XxyCfNBxSBh2f/wk4MMkjcFA1JjqKqA-jEzAYLIMWgpLAEIIyAc6bIrJwIWCLiGreBTXCoOXUtHvIa1A-w

hawksbane
16-04-2014, 09:48 AM
still not much of interest for Rangers :(

faster arrows...

well, free and immediate trait refunds so RIP bear/bow Rangers.

Squiz
16-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Poison Master is pretty good though, at least in PvP and WvW. And yes, condis are ok in WvW, despite a multitude of cleanses, especially since poison can be reapplied almost instantly, all of the time.

Also, Read the Wind is perfect for sniping players running in zergs. Think of zerker eles.

Malawi Frontier Guard
16-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I'd rather you didn't.

hawksbane
16-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Poison Master is pretty good though, at least in PvP and WvW. And yes, condis are ok in WvW, despite a multitude of cleanses, especially since poison can be reapplied almost instantly, all of the time.

Also, Read the Wind is perfect for sniping players running in zergs. Think of zerker eles.

a Norn with a shortbow just looks ridiculous though. Still I play a condi ranger in PvP so maybe i'll start doing that in WvW too.

MonkeyMonster
16-04-2014, 12:14 PM
I'd rather you didn't.

:D I think we can all hear you say this pretty much every post on here for the next few days bar your own obv :D

Squiz
16-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd rather you didn't.The reason for this being?

Malawi Frontier Guard
16-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Think of zerker eles I meant.

hawksbane
17-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Read the Wind will be very useful in WvW but is pretty useless in PvE since it doesn't decrease your cooldown and PvE mobs are too stupid to dodge arrows anyway. I think they really need to move piercing arrows to Adept.

DenieD
02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi hi,

So way back when the game launched I mained a Ranger and got it to max level, loved the game on the leveling and everything but end game with friends I felt like I was being carried hard because Rangers were just so underwhelming, the general concensus was that Rangers were no good in almost all situations and that any other class brought more to the table. I restarted on some alts but lost interest and left the game for "a bit".

I'm coming back to play with some other friends now and I was wondering... did they ever fix Rangers to a usable state?

hawksbane
02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
there was never anything wrong with Rangers, it's just that most people don't know how to play them/with them.

they actually have one of the highest single target DPS in the game.

hawksbane
02-07-2014, 11:16 AM
actually I should clarify that a bit, the traditional Bear/bow ranger who spams knockback gave us a bad name.

Longbow has been slightly improved, but still needs some work. Pet AI has been improved but also still needs some work - and they do 1/3 of our damage so on 1 shot bosses they can be a hindrance.

Squiz
02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Have to agree with Hawks, the major issue with Rangers being perceived as weak/bad is that players expect to stand around in max LB range autoattacking/barraging enemies while their "tanky" pet keeps enemies away, never using their F2 ability.

For WvW, Sword/Dagger - Axe/Torch builds work pretty well (not in zergs I think but for roaming it's fantastic), in PvP Spirit Rangers should still be a thing, for PvE, you've got decent party support as well as Sword for good DPS (not up to date on the current meta builds, maybe Hawks or Malawi can comment on that).

Edit: Would people be ok if I merged this thread with the existing Ranger thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?5996-The-Ranger-Thread-Woo-Yay-Rangers-Yay-Woo)?

Bankrotas
02-07-2014, 11:30 AM
you've got decent party supportPermaaoefury khem khem.

OT. even as more casual GW2 player, ranger is pretty good at knocking down enemies and keeping himself up. Melee ranger is so much fun...

hawksbane
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
and dead rangers are OP

for PvE
traditional meta is 30/25/0/15/0
there is another build that does slightly more damage but the difference is marginal, and this build is better for using FSG.

Malawi Frontier Guard
02-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Ranger DPS is actually pretty low, but Spotter and Frost Spirit are powerful team buffs which pulls them out again.

Bankrotas
02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
FSG.
FSG? /10char

hawksbane
02-07-2014, 11:42 AM
FSG? /10char

Fiery Great Sword (obviously not a ranger skill)

Bankrotas
02-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Fiery Great Sword (obviously not a ranger skill)
Ele ulti. That much I know :D

Squiz
02-07-2014, 12:24 PM
I guess a good spot to start looking for builds is here: http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/12497757-dnt-ranger-build-415-patch

Edit: This post (http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/page/3/m/6563292/viewthread/12497757-dnt-ranger-build-415-patch#) also includes relevant info on the FGS thing.

Mod note: Merged with Ranger class thread & adjusted the title.

Screwie
02-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Ele ulti. That much I know :D

Fiery Sweat Grourd, duh :)

DenieD
02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys, will give this a try and see how I go with it :)

I always liked the Greatsword on my ranger back in the day but I had a Longbow as the other weapon and it just felt ... bad. I'll have to have a play with combo in the link :)

hawksbane
02-07-2014, 12:54 PM
as with any class it is always good to have a selection of weapons, I have greatsword/longbow/sword/warhorn/axe and use them all in different situations.

it is all very well that a bunch of hardcore gamers want to get the max dps, but you also want to know that you can adapt to any situation. and, well max dps is more theory than practice anyway.

Xanadu
02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys, will give this a try and see how I go with it :)

I always liked the Greatsword on my ranger back in the day but I had a Longbow as the other weapon and it just felt ... bad. I'll have to have a play with combo in the link :)

Melee generally trumps ranged in this game by a sizeable margin. More so for rangers where a fair chunk of damage comes from the pet. Cats or birds are favoured here I believe. You dont have to have max DPS unless you are in a very specific run where that has been agreed (I dont recall RPS ever running one of those, one or 2 of our Arah/frac runs have been closest I guess). As long as you have a sword with axe or horn or a GS you'll do fine, and if you run spotter/frost spirit you may even help the team more than an extra warrior.

DenieD
03-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Soooo I respecced to the provided build and my DPS basically went up by about 4x as much, nice... So did survivability too I'd say. Alot of the skills have had tweaks from what I can see which is nice.

One thing I'm confused about is that the guide says to use "the 10% sigil" on the weapons.... what 10% sigil is that?

hawksbane
03-07-2014, 10:45 AM
that is probably sigil of the night which gives you +10% damage at night, don't use it unless you are getting specialist weapons for different dungeons. Just use sigil of force & accuracy/strength.

Xanadu
03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
If you can afford it, get 2 weapons, one with sigil of the night/force for COF/COE/SE/AC/TA, one with force/dungeon for the daytime ones where you can swap in bandit or undead sigils that are a few silver. This is probably only worth it for Arah though.
Of course to really min/max you'd be running night and flame legion in COF, but that involves a lot if sigil swapping or a lot of spare weapon sets and just isn't necessary outside of speed run attempts.
The % boosts are multiplicative, so night and force gives you +15.5%, not +15%, and this multiplies up further if you use other %boosts like on scholar runes, slaying potions, traits etc.

on topic, finally got my ranger some exotic gear, so may take him dungeoning now.

DenieD
03-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Ahhh ok, yeh I'll give Sigil of the Night a miss for the moment due to the fact I don't have 1 good set of gear, let alone 2 :D

Force it will be for now.

hawksbane
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM
so I did a 'real world' DPS test this morning to see how my Ranger compares to other classes, and it turns out that my Ranger can kill a veteran skelk in Southsun faster than any of my other chars.

vids are here if you're interested
https://www.youtube.com/user/ihawksbane

Squiz
05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Difficult to say if your Ranger DPS is really high or your other toons aren't doing decent damage. For some more standardised comparisons you could take a look at this guide (http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/12536568-guide-to-recording-rotations-for-dps-comparisons).

hawksbane
05-07-2014, 01:06 PM
that's a very comprehensive guide, but doing all that would require me to take this far more seriously than I intend to.

I would say that the reason my Ranger out DPS' the thief will mostly be due to the 20 stacks of vulnerability. The guardian and necro wouldn't even be at the races anyway since one is built for support and the other is condi.

Xanadu
05-07-2014, 01:49 PM
You've also played ranger a lot, experience matters. I can guarantee that my ranger wouldn't beat my warrior or Ele.
I guess that some builds favour solo play and some group.
Rangers certainly don't deserve their bad reputation - decent DPS and group buffs, what's not to like?

hawksbane
05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
damn you Squiz, I'm not a hardcore gamer I refuse to take it that seriously.

so I've redone the Ranger vid with combat logs and no might stacking. Also done a vid with Brazils Ranger build for comparison. Seems they are about the same when on your own, but Brazils would be better in a group with other access to Vuln.

Here for those who can't be bothered to read the previous post.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmSzrKnvcMBNzHOE52oOng

Squiz
05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
I... I am sorry? ):

Edit: To clarify - for once I wasn't out to criticize someone for playing the way he wants to play. :rolleyes: I'll stay away from further discussion regarding this topic. No offense intended.

Malawi Frontier Guard
05-07-2014, 05:14 PM
This is neither a proper test nor are you measuring DPS. You should really read that link for a start. The only thing we get from your videos right now is how you play when you want to kill a mob as fast as possible, which is revealing but not in a good way.

hawksbane
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I never claimed it was a proper test and I did read that link.

sure I could go and hit an indestructable golem with no sigils to get the base effect and practice so I get the rotations perfect; but I make mistakes, and therefore this is a more realistic test than the DnT one because i'll never play like that.

Xanadu
06-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Hawks, Dulfy saw your video and took pity on you :cool:
http://dulfy.net/2014/07/05/gw2-ranger-pve-class-guide-by-lorek-and-cell

edit:
I think Guang saw your video too:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Rangers-Useless-in-Dungeons