PDA

View Full Version : [AAR] TT 29/08/2012 - Svdvorback

Bodge
29-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Cheers for the killings, another rare success of a wolf mission.

Tonight you played:
Nightblind - The darkness was brightened up by Tigersharks amazing 70s flares.
Nutcracker - Indfor totalled the T-90.
UNnecessary Violence - Most of Zarg was blown up in the hope of getting some ammo caches in there too.
FoxHound - Indfor succeeded in shooting a few dudes then legging it.

An after party of
Viva Pinata - The goat dies tonight!
Jolly Green x2 - Choppers are quite fragile - Who knew?
Crazy Race - Yup, yup it was.

Thoughts and experiences below, any screenshots are greatfully received.

Folk same time on Sunday! Check the thread for futher information.

Kronic
29-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Mm, yes. Was good fun. Especially the Piņata defence plan:

http://i.imgur.com/wOn9X.jpg

Kefirz
29-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I can't believe I missed crazy race, ah the pain is unbearable.

hurvo
29-08-2012, 08:24 AM
played first mission, fun but could not see a thing.
started second mission, got shot at the very very beginning (probably FF but was too drunk to remember) , pissed, angry, log out.
maybe next time.

Madtoaster55
29-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I killed the tank on the second mission! Everyone thought it had escaped, but I was chasing it ineffectively shooting at it with my AK. Aaand then I remembered I had an RPG left. I thought "This probably won't destroy it, but to hell with it", and I fired.
The rpg hit the tank's hind, apparently without effect. Then, slowly, it ground to a stop, and caught fire. Everyone on voice chat was ignoring my screams of "I KILLED THE TANK" over text, but eventually someone spotted the burning carcass. Glory to Bravo Squad!

mike
29-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Nightblind

Deputy Commander. Grizzly did a good job commanding this one until an enemy came up behind him and shot him up. I took revenge and then took over command. Our northern flank (Alpha/Wolf's squad) took a heavy beating and I couldn't really use the tank to help them out because of the well placed enemy SPG's. Eventually the northern flank quieted down and alpha started pushing up again. I did my best with trying to keep a platoon line to kill everything east of us, but unfortunately that included our sniper team as well :(
The assault on the crash site was made painful by a camping AI I believe, and took down a considerable part of Alpha which were assaulting the site downhill, but we made it and downloaded the all so important data.

Nutcracker

Deputy again. All I can say is good ambush and some miraculously decent shooting by madtoaster :O

UNnecessary Violence

Bravo lead. I really do think we need some convoy training/more convoy missions because I think it took us 10 minutes to get rolling. We got engaged between WP1 and WP2 and for some reason the platoon split up, half of them stayed in the kill zone and the other half booked it. My opinion was that it was better to stay with the BMP so I raced behind it. After the BMP took out the threat we waited another 10 minutes to let the MAT team rambo about 1km in front of us. Eventually we got moving again towards Zargabad but then the BMP got engaged by a ZU. We promptly dismounted and took up positions in the tree line right besides the road we were travelling on. After the BMP decided it took enough hits by the ZU the driver went full reverse through my tree line, and drove over 1 of my guys. Thanks for that BMP driver.
Not long after that we officially abandoned tactics, and just charged the mosque. I think I got the the mosque perimeter first and I took out the MG covering the entire SW. I got a bit cocky and wanted more kills so I got on a balcony but then I saw a T-55. Game over.

Fox and Hound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEDyZ46aCA
A1 AR. A mission by yours truly. This is not the typical arps/folk adversarial, it's highly assymetrical. 32 vs 6. Also both sides have objectives not very common with other adversarials. REDFOR needs to keep their casualty percentage below 15% while clearing their AO, and the rebels objective is to score 15% casualties on the enemy and then escape to a random safe house. This does call for some strategic considerations, like boxing in the enemy, but Draakon kept to his role and went for the full on strong russian assault in line formation option. Unfortunately (for the Russians) the safe house was fortunately placed for the rebels (away from us) so they had an easy win once they killed enough of us.
It was suggested I should up the casualty limit to 20% in steam chat, and I'll make some more descriptive win messages.

You guys are welcome to give more feedback on it.

Black Mamba
29-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Nightblind

I got in there late, so i JIPed in. I ran all i could to join the main force, running alongside Cuth who was doing the same i guess. I stopped to inform command i'd be joining Bravo 2, and i was halfway through the process when Cuth killed me point blank.
I was pretty pissed to be honest, wondering if this wasn't done on purpose as it was really so stupid. Those friendly fire incidents happen more and more often, and most of the time they just come from the absence of thinking. I mean, c'mon, we were 200 meters before the front line, and i had been running 5 meters away from you for like five minutes.
I got to the Valhalla channel to discover there was at least five or six other guys shot by friendlies.

Nutcracker

Bravo 2 FTL. I hid a mine right in the middle of the road, afew hundred meters after the main ambush, in case the tank would go on after that. Then i lead my team in some rocks above the road. The plan as designed by our leader was to give sustained fire on the ambush site, but we were way too far to be effective, so i ordered my guys to wait until the'd see the whites in the eyes of the enemy, and then open fire with all we got.
What i guess happened is the enemy infatry had been murdered for quite some time when the tank got under our position, but the ambush itself was quite the failure, and the tank was maxspeeding to the end. I then ordered a charge/and or RPGs and i was running heroically after the tank to granade it inside, when madtoaster did the incredible. I just sprayed the burning wreck with bullets in case anybody would try and get out of there.

UNnecessary Violence
Some fireteam AR. Joe was the leader. After quite some time running around, mounting up, dismounting, and so on, a few alttabfireincidents (how come when i alt tab i never negligently discharge? cause i keep my gun down), we had to dismount when the convoy came under fire from a distant ZU-23. After i had lost my team for a few seconds cause i refused to cross some 23 millimeters lead wall, i came back behind joe and we took cover in some bushes, right in front of an enemy bunker, with the order not to fire yet. Somebody missed on that and opened fire anyway, which was stupid but ended up well, the bunker being cleared. Then a M113 showed up, id dodged bullets by rolling on the left and Joe died. I then led my fireteam to the mosque, the only incident being madtoaster being toasted on the roof, but i let him there as he deserved it.

FoxHound

I was Charlie 1 lead, so effectively Charlie Lead. We did our thing pretty well, shot one dude, spotted a couple others, and took no casualty. Moral victory for us as INDFOR retreated with 67% casualties.

In the end, i just beg people to think for half a second before they fire on people. It's getting annoying.

Roods
29-08-2012, 01:23 PM
My first ARPS session after a 6+ month hiatus. Alas I had to log off after the 1st mission (Nightblind) but I did manage to record some FRAPS footage. All in all an great session (Alpha 2 team FTW).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn2npJSVeMQ

I do have one suggestion; if you watch and listen to the video you may notice that the comms is somewhat difficult to decipher with talk on Mumble as well as VON. Perhaps it might be an idea for Mumble comms to be restricted to squad leaders/FTL leaders. They can then relay information to their subordinates via VON. Currently orders given by FTL's to their own squad over VON are drowned out by comms from the CO and other squad leaders.

TheBlobThing
30-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I do have one suggestion; if you watch and listen to the video you may notice that the comms is somewhat difficult to decipher with talk on Mumble as well as VON. Perhaps it might be an idea for Mumble comms to be restricted to squad leaders/FTL leaders. They can then relay information to their subordinates via VON. Currently orders given by FTL's to their own squad over VON are drowned out by comms from the CO and other squad leaders.

This is a massively excellent idea.

fer
30-08-2012, 07:27 AM
This is a massively excellent idea.

You know that, if you replace Mumble with TeamSpeak, this is exactly how comms are supposed to work with the Folk platoon (and 90% of ARPS missions use the same ORBAT now)? See this thread (http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=436) for more details.

Kefirz
30-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Yea, that is the way it's supposed to work, but in case of emergencies - like when I shouted in UNnecessary Violence to one guy over CC because he was about to run into a squad of baddies just waiting for him. It was ok then if I talked when I wasn't a leader of some sort, because that was an emergency and by informing my comrades I prevented an unnecessary death

Wolfenswan
30-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Yea, that is the way it's supposed to work, but in case of emergencies - like when I shouted in UNnecessary Violence to one guy over CC because he was about to run into a squad of baddies just waiting for him. It was ok then if I talked when I wasn't a leader of some sort, because that was an emergency and by informing my comrades I prevented an unnecessary death

Actually, that's not ok, as non-SL you shouldn't even have CC enabled in the first place.

It adds needless confusion when there's suddenly a new voice yelling stuff not to mention that your SL has no idea that you are talking in CC and not in his/her mumble channel which could create redundant information.

If you see a soldier in a friendly squad get in danger, relay it to your SL and he can tell the other SL, but it's not your job to watch for anyone else than yourself, your fireteam and (to a degree) your own squad.

Kronic
30-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Hmm, 'Fraid I disagree with you on that one there Wolf. First off, having CC enabled is useful if you see there's a likely chance of you being in a command role (For example, absolutely anyone in Vanguard); and secondly, while 90% of the time I agree that following the procedure you outlined is the right thing to do, if we see - for example - a squad about to round a corner into an MMG, there simply isn't always time to go through the correct chain. In thise cases, a quick "Break break, Bravo, there's an MMG around the corner you're about to turn" is twice as fast as relaying the same thing to your lead and having them relay, and that time could easily be what stops half the squad getting killed. It's a bit of a pain when people speak on CC when they needn't, but sometimes, it's the best judgement call at the time.

'Least in my opinion.

Joe_Robins
30-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Nutcracker
I was late to TT so I showed up just as this was kinda getting started, Played as the medic for the Commander and was assigned to Bravo squad. I retrieved an RPG from a fallen comrade and set up with the rest of Bravo on the hills near the crossroad. I got off a shot at the tank but I don't know if I hit.
Shortly afterwards I died :)

UNnecessary Violence
I decided to have a crack at commanding this time, Often the problem I encounter as commander is that I get too tied up on the front lines and get overwhelmed with commanding and fighting. I had played this mission once before and we had got totally bogged down pretty soon, My strategy this time was to sweep round the right flank of the town keeping engagements to the minimum, with a focus on getting up to the bottom right corner of the town as soon as possible. From there on in I wanted to let go of control and have everyone advance into the city, fighting CQB up to the mosque to blow it. We managed to blow the weapons cache and I even felt mildly guilty about destroying the main religious icon of the town..

I'd appreciate any feedback on my commanding as it was actually my first successful mission as a commander. I made a point of focusing on a much grander scale than I had previously and I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I was pretty sure that if we could avoid open ground and the ZU fortresses they had set up, I could bank on everyone being super awesome at tactically advancing using the buildings as cover.

Joe_Robins
30-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Mm, yes. Was good fun. Especially the Piņata defence plan:

http://i.imgur.com/wOn9X.jpg

Haha, classic, I was doomed to failure when I peeked around the corner

Bodge
30-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Hmm, 'Fraid I disagree with you on that one there Wolf.

'Least in my opinion.

It is your opinion, unfortunately it is not how our comms work. Leaving room for interpretation of the rules allows for abuse of them either intentionally or not.

No one is going to moan at you for having CC on, but it is there for command.

Kronic
30-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah, 'S why I ensured that that post was clearly a "My opinion" not "Valid argument" - can completely get where you and Wolf are coming from, don't worry.