PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name Registrars?

Danny252
29-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm looking to register a domain name, and (somewhat obviously) have no idea who to go with. The obvious big one is GoDaddy, but the sheer amount of tales of crap customer service have warded me off that. I've no idea of certain registrars only do certain extensions - I'm preferably looking for a .co.uk.

Anyone have a recommendation? I'm not looking for any hosting wotsits, that's already been sorted.

sirgoit
01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I went with joker.com

Not had any problems, customer support have been quick to respond when I had some questions.

prabu007
05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm looking to register a domain name, and (somewhat obviously) have no idea who to go with. The obvious big one is GoDaddy, but the sheer amount of tales of crap customer service have warded me off that. I've no idea of certain registrars only do certain extensions - I'm preferably looking for a .co.uk.

Anyone have a recommendation? I'm not looking for any hosting wotsits, that's already been sorted.
Hi,
I think there are a number of issues to think about when choosing a domain registrar and which is cheapest is not necessarily the best as the difference in price across all registrars seems to be minimal. I’d say if you want to register a domain at cheap and reliable means I suggest you to go withhttp://www.tucktail.com/here the services all that they provide are best and reliable.
Here you can get registered your domain with .co.uk extension.

trjp
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
For the record, I'm in the UK and use UKREG (Fasthosts) - the only complaint I have is that they're deadly keen on auto-renewing domains WAY ahead of their expiry (over 30 days) and their customer service when I questioned this bordered between retarded and outright aggressive.

I don't use them to host or anything else - just registering and managing domains (changing nameservers, basically) - and that part, within their 'dashboard' works OK for every type of domain you can imagine.

As people have said tho, don't just choose on price. Some 'registrars' actually register your domain name for themselves and just allocate it to you in some limited way. If you decide you want to move it/change it then can just say "No" and you're screwed because they 'own' your domain.

p.s. don't waste money on domain privacy either - it's free for co.uk's I think but for coms, just register it to Buckingham Palace or something like that :)

Ravelle
05-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm not familiar with foreign hosts but what I do know is that I hear a lot of complaints about GoDaddy.

Berzee
06-09-2012, 12:33 AM
I use namecheap, p'sonally

johnki
06-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Personally, I use GoDaddy. I've only ever had one issue with them, I think, and it pretty much amounted to "we can't do this, sorry", and it wasn't exactly anything crucial. That said, I can't tell you anything about customer service in general, other than the fact that their support site is incredibly generic and often doesn't solve the problem you're trying to solve.

Of course, one thing you have to keep in mind is that the more customers you have, the more will be dissatisfied. I think with a company as big as GoDaddy seems to be, it's just the normal turnover rate.

Of course, I could also be wrong and their customer service could just be outright horrible.

christ87
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Danny, the .co.uk has a standardized price - or it should anyway! 123-reg has always been my domain registrar, but not hosting - always use VPS and not nasty shared hosting packages, if you need hosting in the future look at TSO, great guys and service

Jesus_Phish
06-09-2012, 09:29 AM
I use LetsHost. Never had any problems with them, but I've never needed to contact them for support, so can't comment on how good/bad it is. I guess never having to do it in the first place is a good sign.

They also don't pull any BS with auto-renews.

Lanko
18-09-2012, 03:22 PM
I personally also used Godaddy....no problem at Godaddy i use for last 4 years and at the end of that day these create no problem with them...i loved it for good service