PDA

View Full Version : WvWvW Recon Team

Aedrill
31-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I definitely want to play WvW but I don't find massive battles fun. That's why I came up with an idea of sabotage/recon squad. We would focus on disrupting enemy's supply lines, providing commander (whoever it might be) with intel and do some other sneaky stuff.

I will need... right, let's talk about it for a moment. Thief is quite an obvious choice, this class is made for things like this. But obviously it's not enough. At first I wanted to tell you that we need only light classes but then I realized that what we need is speed, and all classes and races run equally fast. Unfortunately, stealth won't be useful for sneaking to the enemy and attacking because it simply doesn't last long enough. We would need whole minutes of continuous stealth, not seconds. That's why our priority should be mobility. If your character can cast Swiftness on itself and/or others, that's great. If it can teleport itself and/or others it's even better. Put some stealth on top of that and we've got a perfect match. It doesn't matter if you play as Thief, Mesmer, Necromancer or Guardian as long as you meet the requirements.

If you like this idea but you feel like you haven't got the skill, don't worry, join us anyway. We'll be learning on the go, looking for the best tactics, getting familiar with the map, learning how to cooperate with each other in the most efficient way, and so on. You'll have plenty of time to get better at this game.

Please post your opinions below, and if you want to be part of the team, use this thread as well. I'll be updating this post with all the important informations, along with the list of members. FYI, I think we'll need at least 5 people to get started.

One more thing. I'm going to Southport on Sunday and I'll stay there till next Sunday so for the whole next week I won't be playing GW2 at all. But I will be visiting forum, so feel free to discuss whatever you feel is worth talking about. And, hopefully, when I come back we should have enough people to start our first covert operations;)

IMPORTANT INFORMATIONS (UPDATED)

Announcement:

Please follow this link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnkUum4rnz2vdFJqR0ZmdDJCQV9pdnhZb2tEeUU1Z Xc) and fill the spreadsheet accordingly. It's very simplistic, I know but it should help us with organizing group playing. Just put your forum name, in game name and hours in which you're available for WvW on each day (or N/A if not). Let's treat it as a guide for the rest of the week. When I have some time later on, I'll try to do make some Google Calendar for us to make it even easier, but for now, let's use this. Thank you for cooperation.

If you want to check who's available at the moment, go here (http://srv.velcommuta.de/gw2/tool.php) (thanks malexmave!), and update your status as well.

Current event (https://www.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=c3VuMDYwanJnbGFxMnZyc2t0YmhvOHZscjQgbzhrOTgy MmdkdWhpMDhjc2RidTBvMHM1anNAZw&tmsrc=o8k9822gduhi08csdbu0o0s5js%40group.calendar. google.com) (Google Calendar)

List of members:

1. Aedrill
2. zanchito
3. Wolfenswan
4. squirrelfanatic
5. harvb
6. MOKKA
7. hal9000
8. Howlee
9. 20phoenix
10. Malfious
11. algolicious
12. Telzis
13. noaru
14. Anthile
15. Salix
16. Lightbulb
17. TheMoo
18. sirgoit
19. Quine
20. Kyrne
21. Rozzza
22. NieA7
23. footlingsummers
24. malexmave
25. vee41
26. duff
27. starmatt
28. Mithror
29. inawarminister
30. whykt

zanchito
31-08-2012, 01:55 PM
This is my WvWvW experience: I tried to get in once with my thief, and there was a queue and I didn't want to wait so I went back to Diessa Plains. I don't know how this works, but it sounds like a cool idea!

Squiz
31-08-2012, 02:05 PM
This is basically what we did yesterday with a group of 6-7 people. We just roamed the map, going wherever a suitable opportunity to cause mischief and havoc arose. And we were pretty damn effective at it. :)

Nearly took out a whole Castle, but sadly some lonely defender called his friends after he tried to stop our rampage without success for a few minutes. It is pretty amazing what you can do if you're just a little bit organized (mumble is a must for that!). People seem to either shy away from a bunch of guys showing the same guild tag or come foolishly charging in without any chance of winning the fight.

This was one of the most amazing things I have done so far in this game, really recommended.

Aedrill
31-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I assume you want to participate, I'll add you to the list.

Aedrill
31-08-2012, 02:08 PM
@squirrelfanatic, should I add you, or do you prefer more 'casual' approach?

Wolfenswan
31-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm in as well. The zerg's fun for a while but not for me, advanced recon's great.

Squiz
31-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Id rather join every now and then without any set schedule. But you can count me in as "interested". ;)

harvb
31-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Just putting out there that I'm definitely interested, but not for a while. I just thought I'd say now rather than it be a complete longshot later :) This is how I always used to play; small groups, guerilla tactics. Can't wait til I'm good enough to contribute to WvWvW :)

Edit: Yeah, what squirrel said :)

zanchito
31-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey, Aedrill!

My play times are a bit crap, but I sure would love to tag along when I get the chance. I'd add myself more as a "backup" than a regular member. :)

MOKKA
31-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm also interested. I tend to get confused in those larger battles, so smaller groups and fights seem to be a nice idea. I have an Elementalist who has numerous ways to cast swiftness on other people. I'm also going to start a Thief at some point, don't know when though.

hal9000
31-08-2012, 04:37 PM
mmm... guerrilla tactics... count me in! Sounds like great fun.

hal9000
31-08-2012, 04:40 PM
double post, sorry

Howlee
31-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Great idea, my biggest gripe with WvWvW is that it's been way too much blind tab-n-spam so a guerrilla team would be a perfect fit.
I'm playing Elementalist and I'd be able to throw out 3 back-to-back group swiftness buffs which would be helpful in getting to wherever we're going.
Charname is the same as the username.

Howlee
31-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, double post.

Anyway, make that 1:04 minutes of swiftness without losing the buff.

20phoenix
31-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Definitely. I've jumped into WvWvW but I much prefer the idea of making sneak attacks on camps/keeps rather than rolling with the zerg.

Malfious
31-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I enjoy all WvWvW but this sounds like fun, saw a french guild doing this yesterday.. add me (Malfious) to the list :)

Aedrill
31-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow, I didn't expect such a great response, it's really great. We already have 10 people (yes, I know, some of us will be irregular, myself included) and it's only first day. Keep 'em coming.

algolicious
31-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Count me in for anything WvW related. I'm yet another Elementalist (ingame name Cheddarcombo).

Telzis
31-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Small guerilla warfare sounds nice and will be much more friendly to my ageing graphics card, too. I probably won't join regularly and I'm not that confident in my spoken English yet (not my native language), so I might be a bit silent in Mumble at first.

I'd join with my Guardian, Aegvina.

noaru
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Oh hell yes! This is the best part of WvW... Aliss Blackfyre the guardian is definitely in!

Anthile
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
You have my bear.

Salix
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm interested, but like squirrelfanatic only in doing it now and then. Maybe put me down as an irregular? :)

Lightbulb
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I can bring my ranger along. I need to get a new mic since mine has stopped working. Not sure if its windows 7 or the wires broken...

Will probably get a cheap one to test.

However count me in. :)

TheMoo
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm in, with my elementalist.

I think the class works very well with what you proposed, properly built an elementalist has tons of mobility and can get in and out of places damn well.

sirgoit
01-09-2012, 05:11 PM
This sounds excellent, I'm away for a while but I'll catch you all on mumble when I'm back.

Quine
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm up for all forms of organised WvW so I'd like to get involved when I'm able to. My elementalist Icepop can contribute.

Kyrne
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Sounds interesting. Was planning to mess around in PvP/WvWvW with my elementalist (low level atm) so can add me to the list. I think her names Vyxalla :)

Rozzza
02-09-2012, 05:54 PM
sign me up, i look forward to ganking unsuspecting victims!
guardian: Ruari

NieA7
02-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Sounds like great fun, though my time's all over the place at the moment so I won't be able to commit much. Vorshaz One eye, Necromancer :)

Aedrill
02-09-2012, 11:29 PM
That's really awesome response people, thank you very much. The more, the merrier. I think it's safe to assume that our group will be able to play together from time to time, so let's talk about our tactics - I'm open to all suggestions, so feel free to post anything you want. Except pictures of penises. We don't want them here.

1. Structure:
- we'll play in 5 people strong parties, and I think it's possible to "merge" them somehow into squads, but I have no idea, how to do this. If anyone knows the trick, please share. Of course most of the times we won't have enough people to man two full parties. On those occasions we'll do our best to maintain the best mobility and firepower possible. We might create two teams of 3 and just stick together, if necessary.

What's important here is chain of command. Each party will have a leader who will report to the commander. I know it doesn't sound like fun but I really believe it will help us avoid the chaos and should give us the chance to actually do something constructive together instead of running around like headless chickens in fancy clothes.

2. Goals
We will try to help our server by any means necessary, if we decide that we're needed in some zerg rush to capture a keep, we'll join it. However, our priority is sabotage and scouting, so we'll be dabbling with supply camps, caravans and... well, scouting. I'll do my best to contact with some bigwigs in our alliance so we're able to actually report what we've spotted.

3. Tactics
Obviously this will be adjusted in time but we have to start somewhere. My idea is to create ambushes by organizing a caravan and sending one party with it and the rest hidden nearby. If we're attacked, the hidden force jumps on the attackers and hopefully wipes them. If not, we will deliver the supply. Win-win.

That's it, for now, I'm too tired to continue. Feel free to add your own suggestions or to tell me I'm an idiot and my plans won't work. Anyway, discuss.

ambing1
02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I've not done muchmore than piddle about the nursery slopes of the game but it feels like I'm onthe foothills of an epic adventure. Really.
I think this game isgoing to being to the table a necessary shake-up for other MMORPGs out there.While the game design, for me, looks quite traditional with genre tropes havingnot disappeared completely, the overall game has been smartly refined.
Another great thingabout this game is ArenaNet's decision to keep quests away. Replacing them withrenowned tasks is a good option instead of forcing a player to bound up eachdribbling yokel with an exclamation mark above his head and ask him to permissionto kill marauding bandits or naughty squirrels and monstrous hellbeasts. I likeit more when I can simply slide into the guy's vicinity and help and getting acash reward at the end.
While killingbandits is still present, the task scales with the number of other players inthe area, and the game presents it to make the players feels is much more acollaborative effort than an atmosphere-breaking contract killing in the least.
For me though, thereal beauty of the game is how unhurried it feels. The story mode, told inlittle bursts, kinda reminds a player why he's doing something although itstotally lacking in pressure to just do them anyways. I'd like to think thedesigners want to tell the gamers that the game is best played with as littleprodding as possible.
I've also beenlooking for more details how PvP or WvW will be played but I only found thisone from gamearena: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5102636
I don't usually playPvP but when I read the article above, it made me think that I might as well try it. Sounds even moreinteresting.

Aedrill
02-09-2012, 11:45 PM
that's awkward... Are you sure you're in the right thread?

noaru
03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Good post and plan Aedrill, we need to do a couple events and then adjust. My main worry though is that WvW is generally packed and we're going to have issues getting everybody in at the same time.

that's awkward... Are you sure you're in the right thread?

It's a spambot. Funny how good they're getting these days. Check what he's been posting in other threads.... I've already reported him.

Aedrill
03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Good post and plan Aedrill, we need to do a couple events and then adjust. My main worry though is that WvW is generally packed and we're going to have issues getting everybody in at the same time.

Yeah, I'm concerned about it as well. There's not mucch we can do, we'll just gather on Mumble, and work with what we've got.

It's a spambot. Funny how good they're getting these days. Check what he's been posting in other threads.... I've already reported him.

But this link is genuine, he's not trying to sell me bigger penises, or to enlarge my watch! I'm confused...

footlingsummers
03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Count me in! Character is Aphelion Yewspire.

hal9000
03-09-2012, 09:43 PM
we'll play in 5 people strong parties, and I think it's possible to "merge" them somehow into squads, but I have no idea, how to do this. If anyone knows the trick, please share.

Guild Wars wiki says you need to pay 100g to be a squad commander O_o

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Squad

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander%27s_Compendium

Malfious
03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep, saw someone in there today as a commander.. must have been a rich person :p

malexmave
04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Once ANet sorts out the bugs with guild invites and I can actually join (I was sent an invite, but it did not arrive), I'd love to join you. Currently, my only 30+ Char is my Ranger "Vis Lupi", but I am currently leveling a warrior ("Filius Iste Tenebra") who might be helpful with banners and stuff. I'm willing to switch to the needed one based on the current squad layout, once the warrior has his ulti and some halfway decent gear.

vee41
04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
About tactics:

With around 10hrs of WvW experience I can say with most absolute certainty and authority that very important aspects in this kind of small group combat will be mobility and situational awareness. Mobility means having every possible group swiftness buff available (rangers and.. I've really played nothing but rangers so no idea). This allows the group to pick it's fights and possibly escape from zergs. Also, situational awareness about what is happening around the group so we see that zerg coming in the first place.

Good thread, lets get the furballs rolling!

Aedrill
04-09-2012, 12:37 PM
vee41, do you want to be on the list? And good points, we will have to focus on these aspects, especially in early stages. Later on we can start working on cooperation and combining our abilities and play styles.

vee41
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
vee41, do you want to be on the list? And good points, we will have to focus on these aspects, especially in early stages. Later on we can start working on cooperation and combining our abilities and play styles.

Absolutely, I love being listed.

Wolfenswan
04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
As a guardian I can bring quite a few utilities to the field. My staff has a short duration swiftness field and the always wonderful line of warding and the second set can quickly be switched between a more offense focused set and one focused on boons and healing.

On the utility side I'd have to retrait a bit as I think my spirit weapons won't be that useful. The retreat shout gives a solid 20+s of boost + protection and the stand your ground shout gives stability and (more importantly) cancels stuns for a quick get away. Also I could use the stability giving consecration + insta consecration trait. And of course there's the always lovely bubble.

On the elite site I have tome of wrath and tome of courage, both equally useful but very much depending on the situation.

Of course, if we have enough people giving swiftness and removing conditions I can stick with my burn/spirit weapon built and be an utter nuisance and dedicated mage killer.

vee41
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
As a guardian I can bring quite a few utilities to the field. My staff has a short duration swiftness field and the always wonderful line of warding and the second set can quickly be switched between a more offense focused set and one focused on boons and healing.

On the utility side I'd have to retrait a bit as I think my spirit weapons won't be that useful. The retreat shout gives a solid 20+s of boost + protection and the stand your ground shout gives stability and (more importantly) cancels stuns for a quick get away. Also I could use the stability giving consecration + insta consecration trait. And of course there's the always lovely bubble.

On the elite site I have tome of wrath and tome of courage, both equally useful but very much depending on the situation.

This was informative to read, I really don't know much about other classes than the ranger that I've played to level 30 so far so learning about abilities of others is good stuff.

For ranger there is AoE heal skill, spirits that give group buffs, group speed buff and a few nifty pet utilities like 'rescue mission' which sends your pet to resurrect a downed ally. Then you got bunch of different AoE skills that can be very useful, like muddy terrain that is long AoE slow. And tarps that come in various flavors. Gotta love them tarps.

malexmave
04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
For ranger there is AoE heal skill, spirits that give group buffs, group speed buff and a few nifty pet utilities like 'rescue mission' which sends your pet to resurrect a downed ally. Then you got bunch of different AoE skills that can be very useful, like muddy terrain that is long AoE slow. And tarps that come in various flavors. Gotta love them tarps.

Don't forget the ranger elite with a possible 20 seconds AoE immobilize (Entangle, immobilize for 20 seconds or until the vines are destroyed, in an Area of 600 around the character). Combine this with a "Barrage" from the Longbow once they manage to get free (AoE Damage and Cripple), plus a Hunters Shot for Vulnerability and a Point Blank Shot to knock someone into our midst and you have a few kills. Now you just need to find a way to launch a Hunter into the midst of the enemy (Have not found a charge on hunter yet, but have not really searched for one)

zanchito
04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't play hunters, but I recall a greatsword on the weapon switch has a jump to close the gap. Do the jump through a smoke field (thief gunpowder shot for example) and you land with stealth on.

hawksbane
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't play hunters, but I recall a greatsword on the weapon switch has a jump to close the gap. Do the jump through a smoke field (thief gunpowder shot for example) and you land with stealth on.

The fly in attack is one of my favourites, you can fly for miles with it as well.

Quine
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I've been running my 60 ele as a lightning/speed staff player in WvW since launch, and it's a great way to cause confusion in large fights and is excellent at flanking. With traits and a speed skill you can generally stay ahead of the pack, and dumping Static Field behind you usually keeps you out of trouble. In fire attunement you're handy at taking out siege equipment and defenders on walls and adding to the barrage to take gates down. Throw in an elite rock elemental to mix things up or the fiery greatsword and it's a great mix.

I've recently been working an engineer alt and it's got loads of potential. They can chuck speed/health/might potions around all day and equip grenades, mortars and flamethrowers for varied combat roles. The rifle has a good net skill for taking people down as well. I'm totally putting some time into getting some good traits and skills together. Stuff like retaliation is excellent at taking arrow carts down even if you can't see them, for example.

The biggest problem at the moment is the WvW queue and flakiness of guild functions. Swapping a character out to fill a role in WvW or even meeting up at an arranged time just isn't possible right now. I really hope this improves soon.

malexmave
05-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Okay, I finally got the guild invite. Wsp me ingame if I am online and you want to roll out.
malexmave.6983 / Vis Lupi

(Perhaps we should all friendlist each other to make it easier to see who's online...)

duff
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd love to join you guys with my currently 39 elementalist.

starmatt
05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm up for that! Looks really fun! Treloi the Ranger.

zanchito
05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I seem to never get a spot in WvWvW. Are you people waiting for long periods to get in?

Lightbulb
05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Yeah ages - like 3 or 4 hours - at peak times.

Early in the morning and the middle of weekdays is way less busy.

----

We hada group of 8 or 9 of us play around lunchtime today and I had fun. Need to get more groups going.

Maybe a google calendar to arrange events?

Squiz
05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I seem to never get a spot in WvWvW. Are you people waiting for long periods to get in?Unfortunately, this is true, it takes quite a bit to get into the Borderlands. I usually continue playing PvE while I am waiting for the free spot, so it's not too bad. But still, quickly joining with your mates or to help out in a tight situation is simply not possible.

Rozzza
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
The idea definitely works.
We had a casual session earlier just organised by /g chat, around 7-8 of us, was mad fun.

Literally just capped supplies/ killed supply animals/ and butchered the odd stragglers.
Got destroyed by the enemy more times than i can count tho haha!

malexmave
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
The idea definitely works.
We had a casual session earlier just organised by /g chat, around 7-8 of us, was mad fun.

Literally just capped supplies/ killed supply animals/ and butchered the odd stragglers.
Got destroyed by the enemy more times than i can count tho haha!

I wrote up a small AAR (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?5746-Guild-Wars-2-AARs-Stories&p=186064&posted=1#post186064) for that Operation, add things I have missed over there. And since there are a lot of pictures in earlier entries, you might have to scroll for a bit to find it ;-).

Aedrill
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Wow, that's a lot of great news from you people. I really wish I could join you but that's unfortunately impossible until next week. The idea about google calendar is great, I'll look to it. As for the queues... well, there's nothing we can do and I'm aware that this is the greatest obstacle right now. What we could do however is just playing together and waiting together in the same queue. We could play in PvE to get some sweet, sweet gear for the WvW, or in sPvP to train our tactics, depending on needs.

One more thing. Squads. Fucking squads. I don't know whose idea it was to set the price of 100 bleeding gold but we should do something about it. Unfortunately there is no perfect solution, because this thing is freaking expensive but we could at least have fun trying. I think it would be wrong to take this money from guild bank (at least not all of it) and I definitely don't want to rip you guys off. So my idea is to gather this money in WvW. All we can gather and/or sell goes into our "bank" (we'll need someone to keep the money and do the maths, volunteers?) and when we finally get the funds we'll buy this bloody squad thingy.

Now the problems. Obviously it's gonna take hell of a lot of time but the issue is that we'll buy it for only one person. And if this person is unable to play we won't have squad again, and it sucks, because we'll put a lot of effort into it. As you can see, this solution is far from perfect but I can't think of anything better right now. If you have better idea, please share.

Anyway, I'm really happy that the initiative is working and I'm looking forward to playing with you.

malexmave
05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah, the squad thingy is just plain nasty.

Another thing I just realized today: If you plant a Warrior Banner inside an AoE effect, it will actually give a AoE Combo effect. Meaning: We could try planting a banner in a thief smoke could for a AoE Stealth. We have not yet been able to confirm it as working, as we discovered it while being chased by approx. 30 000 reds, but we will try it out as soon as we get the chance, and if we can get the timing and organization right, we can get another emergency AoE Cloak going. This can be tried in the PvP training area (Heart of the Mists) as well, I guess.

Other combinations would be planting the Banner in a AoE Damage effect for AoE Damage, or AoE Regeneration / Aegis. Suggestions are welcome.

noaru
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't know whose idea it was to set the price of 100 bleeding gold but we should do something about it.

We shouldn't buy it and pressure ArenaNet to fix the damned price. For 100g it should open up this thing for the whole guild not only one person.

Anyway, for the kind of operations we would do I think 1-2-3 5man squads are fine. They could coordinate over mumbles but raid different points on the map and only bunch up when there's a bigger threat.

zanchito
06-09-2012, 10:57 AM
YEs, if I'm not mistaken, planting a banner is a blast finisher.

Mithror
06-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Count me in!

Mithror.2803 (for some reason I now have a different number behind my name!)

I was part of the raiding group yesterday (Aviendha Treeborn) and had a blast. I've been thinking we'd need a bit more coordination, but several small raiding groups sounds like an awesome way to contribute.

We should probably also ninja cap the supply depots before the bonus timer hit 0? To ensure maximum efficiency. I do think that in the event of being severly overpowered by another server starving them to death would not work. They'll have full supply in most if not all of their keeps. We need to have them starved and spend supply at the same time.

It'd also be great if we could coordinate our efforts to capture a tower or keep with a supply depot close by to function as our base of operation. Could be in any of the 4 zones. :)

malexmave
06-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, on EB for example, in case our zerg tries to take Stonemist, we can have two teams watch the other two entries, pick off reinforcements and supply caravans. During a SM siege, starving out the Supplies is pretty important, since they can't repair the gate without supplies, and 1-2 teams (depending on active players) on each gate can do a good job of getting those pickoffs. Especially since many players seem to forget that there are more than three entries into SM and just take the gates, in my experience.

That way, we probably won't get the event reward for SM, but still do a very important job. This technique can be applied to keeps aswell (basically anything that has more than one entry).

And if our zerg is doing nothing / defending, we can still go around capping supply camps and killing caravans, and getting the odd pickoff.

inawarminister
08-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi guys, can I join in too?

inawarminister.8751 (already in the guild, too!)

I have been playing WvW for the last few days (well nights to be exact) and I'm not really a fan of all the zerging.
I've been in a (n informal) raiding group yesterday though and it was awesome. So I want more :)

My character is still a low-level Guardian and Engineer though... So I an still not too strong at WvW at the moment.

Aedrill
08-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Of course you can. I'm still low level (30) as well, will have to do some catching up.

One more thing. Can everyone from the list send me their username along with the four digits on PM? I've got an idea and it would be easier to have them all in one place. Thank you in advance.

Aedrill
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm adding a link to the first post. Please follow the instructions.

Wolfenswan
12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Do the ranks serve any purpose? Which timezone? Am I the only one who doesn't have set playdates?

Aedrill
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
The ranks serve no purpose yet, it's a leftover from different idea that didn't work. But they will be useful later, when we get to know each other and our play styles so we can add some structure to our team. About the play time - of course you put only what you know, it's just a tool to help people get together and start playing. Firstly, you'll know in game names of all the members, so you can add them to your friends list. Secondly, when you see that on certain day there's 4 people available you may try to arrange your day so you could join them. Don't you think it's useful?

As I said, it's only temporary measure, and I'll try to arrange something more useful but it'll take time, and I want our group to start playing together ASAP.

EDIT: Let's set BST as a standard timezone, and if one lives in different one, please mark that on the chart.

Wolfenswan
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Didn't mean to be snide, just wanted the clarification :)

We could create a Steam group(chat) or Skype groupchat to idle in and organize short notice stuff.

mentor07825
12-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Added myself to the document.

malexmave
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Would there be interest in a tool where you can mark yourself as "up for some action" on a webpage and see who else would be ready, without starting the game client?

Would be a quick coding project for me, should be no big problem, and I also have a way to host it, if necessary.

Aedrill
12-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Would there be interest in a tool where you can mark yourself as "up for some action" on a webpage and see who else would be ready, without starting the game client?

Would be a quick coding project for me, should be no big problem, and I also have a way to host it, if necessary.

Oh, that would be awesome, and very helpful. Thank you very much for your initiative.

Bankrotas
12-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I would like to join in, but I'm writing n/a since I have a shifting work schedule, which does not allow to set dates and times, until I know it and sometimes I do work full 24 h shift, like this friday and no chance of playing. It has it's perks since I work 9-15 times a month usually, but that includes weekends and other stuff. So I'm available any time I'm online. Would be running my thief in this setup too.

Aedrill
12-09-2012, 09:58 PM
@Bankrotas
That's alright but if you could update the rota as soon as you know something, it would be great.

El Cubo
13-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Added myself to the list.

malexmave
13-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Okay, I finished a first beta version of the Script I promised. You can find it here (http://srv.velcommuta.de/gw2/tool.php).
It is neither pretty nor very stable at the moment, so please follow the advice given at the bottom of the page. Also, if you break something, find a bug, or came up with a better name for the tool, please PM me here or answer in this Thread.
Please don't break it ;-)

Aedrill
13-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Okay, I finished a first beta version of the Script I promised. You can find it here (http://srv.velcommuta.de/gw2/tool.php).
It is neither pretty nor very stable at the moment, so please follow the advice given at the bottom of the page. Also, if you break something, find a bug, or came up with a better name for the tool, please PM me here or answer in this Thread.
Please don't break it ;-)
That's great, thank you. Link goes to the first post.

whykt
13-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Please add me to the list: whykt.9578, my warrior character is Yanox Yak.

How would I normally receive a squad invite? Ask in Mumble?

Aedrill
14-09-2012, 01:43 AM
You're going to the list, please remember to add yourself to the list in google docs and on the team members site (both links in first post).

Yes, Mumble or Guild Chat are the best way to communicate. We don't have the squad yet, just the parties.

whykt
14-09-2012, 02:45 AM
You're going to the list, please remember to add yourself to the list in google docs and on the team members site (both links in first post).

Yes, Mumble or Guild Chat are the best way to communicate. We don't have the squad yet, just the parties.

Sorry, I meant parties. I read somewhere that it's a maximum of five players per party, is that correct?

zanchito
14-09-2012, 07:10 AM
malexmave : I can help with the script if you want, I'm a developer too. Right now, the most apparent addition would be an AJAX auto updater, besides bug fixing. I added myself (Zanchito), but it doesn't look like my status displays any changes.

Anyway, this sort of thing should be an in-game guild feature (party availavility for PvE / PvP / WvW)

malexmave
14-09-2012, 08:54 AM
malexmave : I can help with the script if you want, I'm a developer too. Right now, the most apparent addition would be an AJAX auto updater, besides bug fixing. I added myself (Zanchito), but it doesn't look like my status displays any changes.

Anyway, this sort of thing should be an in-game guild feature (party availavility for PvE / PvP / WvW)

The status update is manual, as I know of no way to query the game for it. So you will have to use the buttons to the right of the status display to change your status. If you know of any GW2 API that can view the ingame status of a Player, we could look if we can add it, but I don't think there is anything like that at the moment.

Regarding the Auto Updater: It would be a nice feature to have. Personally, I have never written AJAX, so if you want, I can give you the source code of the Script, but it's not pretty since I figured I was writing this only for me, so I added no comments and used some dirty hacks to get things done.

Screwie
14-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I too showed up for a bit of impromptu fun last night, and had a blast.

I would be interested in joining you but I'm not sure I can commit to regular meetings, especially while I still have so much of the other parts of the game still to explore. But I definitely will be back for more.

zanchito
14-09-2012, 09:41 AM
The only visible API from GW2 is the market API AFAIK, and I doubt they'll ever implement an "online player" API, as it'd have quite some privacy issues attached, maybe I explained myself wrong.

Please do send me the script and I'll see what can I do. I'll PM you my email address.

Magnetic
14-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Shrimping since 1873

:cool:

Aedrill
14-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I played some WvW yesterday, here's Wot I Think:

We really need to start playing together and putting our plans in motion. I couldn't find people from our group (which is fine, it's not like we had a set date, or something, I was just hoping I'll find someone), so I was playing alone at first and then I joined the "main force" of our guild.

We've been playing in Desolation Borderlands and it didn't look good, to be honest, green forces were coming in waves making it nearly impossible to leave the starting location. Here's the first problem: I hate zerg. I don't mean THEIR zerg, I'm afraid of it, I'm shitting virtual, pixelated bricks, when I see one. I hate our zerg. People in "main force" are simply running around, taking over some keeps, and leaving for some more running. This is not how you win battles. If you take the keep, you need to secure it, man it, and, well, keep it. Otherwise all your effort will be in vain, when enemy's zerg comes and takes the keep back, along with precious points.

I learned it hard way, when I was trying to secure supply for our nearest keep. Every time we took the supply camp from Greens, people were just leaving it to do some other, more "fun" stuff, and I was left alone in there. Needless to say, when just few Green guys were passing, and they saw basically undefended point (with one player as a bonus kill, great for monthly achievement) they were just taking it. It didn't matter, that they made exactly the same mistake by leaving the place. We already lost the opportunity to send supply to the keep, along with my money I spent to upgrade the place.

After several failures I decided to join the rest of our guild, and just run around, since I was completely unable to do anything constructive on my own. Luckily, I managed to convince them to take and secure this vital (in my opinion) supply camp. We did well. Just by standing there in good numbers we managed to repel significant enemy forces. Side note: you'd be surprised to learn how easy it is to defend supply camps. They usually have only two entrances, and, unless you're doing something terribly wrong, enemy can come only from one direction. Thanks to this we managed to defeat swarm much bigger than our group.

I started putting money into upgrades, hoping that we may start equipping nearby keep, to make it some sort of FOB, which would help us with taking and securing other, very large, and very useful keep. Unfortunately we split, and got destroyed by Greens (or was it Blues this time? I don't know, my eyes were blurry, and I was bleeding, and burning. Cut me some slack) which meant that we lost all the upgrades I invested into. I was about half a gold poorer, and we accomplished nothing. At this point I ragequitted, and went to PvE to do something fun for a change.

Conclusion: We need some organization. The main problem was that we didn't have one person to take the responsibility for the actions of the group, so everyone was doing whatever they wanted. On top of that, I didn't know who knows something about WvW, and who doesn't so I couldn't distribute tasks effectively between people.

I really believe, that with our team we can do a lot of good for our server in WvW. I could contact some people in charge in our alliance but I choose not to. Yet. I think we need to organize ourselves first, find our own play style, get to know each other, our habits, our gaming hours. After we accomplish that, we'll be able to call ourselves "Scouts".

Aedrill
14-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I too showed up for a bit of impromptu fun last night, and had a blast.

I would be interested in joining you but I'm not sure I can commit to regular meetings, especially while I still have so much of the other parts of the game still to explore. But I definitely will be back for more.

If you're irregular, that's fine, as long as you're willing to play with us when you're in WvW. I'm gonna be far less regular than I'd wish and it's true for majority of us here. This group is not about "being hardcore, no-life, pr0 Gamerz", it's about organization and playing with certain purpose in mind.

hawksbane
14-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Aedrill,

I'd be up for a bit of that, unfortunately I was on the wrong server last night. Mainly because I'm never sure which one we are playing on. Perhaps malexmave could add that to his script?

I'd be fairly irregular though.

zanchito
14-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure about the usability, you have to weight the annoyance of using an external tool against simply asking in guild chat.

Timofee
14-09-2012, 01:46 PM
As an aside, I would point out that until we switch from 24 hour rotations no one really cares too much about tactics and securing keeps. When we're on the 2 week rotation, that's when we're playing for...ahem, forgive me...keeps

Malawi Frontier Guard
14-09-2012, 02:02 PM
The first week-long match is already starting tonight, actually. Two-week rotations are coming a couple of weeks after that.

Yes, defending and holding keeps is the important thing in WvW, and the short matches severely discouraged this strategy. Luckily it's very easy if you know what you're doing (the planned removal of retaliation affecting siege engines will help too).

hawksbane
14-09-2012, 02:45 PM
sorry, did I miss something thought we'd always been on 2 week rotations?

I guess if it's only short durations that changes things, I was looking at something that could be updated every couple of weeks to say where the guild will be concentrating it's efforts.

Aedrill
15-09-2012, 10:22 AM
OK, here's my first attempt on using Google Calendar for our purposes. It's the very first public event I'm adding in there, so I might have screwed up, let me know if something's wrong.

Oh yes. No embedding. Back to square one.

Attempt #2: try clicking this link (https://www.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=c3VuMDYwanJnbGFxMnZyc2t0YmhvOHZscjQgbzhrOTgy MmdkdWhpMDhjc2RidTBvMHM1anNAZw&tmsrc=o8k9822gduhi08csdbu0o0s5js%40group.calendar. google.com), and let me know how it works.

whykt
15-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes I can see it on google calendar.

I finally have time for GW2 all day tomorrow :)

Aedrill
15-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Great to hear that. Link goes to the first post. See you in game!

PS. Are you able to add this calendar to your, uhm... calendar? If you know what I mean.

Wolfenswan
15-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Recommended Reading. (http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/zw1lk/wvwvw_goes_from_daily_to_weekly_resets_tonight/) (WvW mechanics)

malexmave
15-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Can you confirm the time for the event, since I don't know how Google handles Timezones when adding events like this? For me, its 17:00-0:00 on this Sunday, german time (CEST / UTC+2 due to summer time). Is that correct?

I am unable to add the calendar as a calendar (I know exactly what you mean ;-) ). You can share the calendar to "anyone who has the link" and then give out the link here, I think. Your link at least only puts me into a "add a new event" window with the fields filled in.

Edit: From reading the link about WvWvW mechanics, it seems like our Recon team would be able to capture orbs quite easily, if the coordination of the enemy teams stays the way it is. So, if we can't get into GH Borderlands, we could see if there are Borderlands where the home team still has the Orb in the default spawn location, and if we are 10+ people online, we can try and cap it for the Server-wide bonus. We just need to have enough speed buffs ready to outrun the angry zerg that will be out for our blood once we have the Orb. More strategies on that front probably wouldn't hurt either.

zanchito
15-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Ohh, neat, I may be able to join in!!

Aedrill
15-09-2012, 01:04 PM
@malexmave
I set the time at 16:00 to 23:00 British time but it's only a guideline. We'll be getting in in chunks anyway, so the earlier you log in, the better.
As for orbs and tactics in general, this is something we need to 1) discuss and 2) put into practice. This will take time but I hope we'll have a lot of fun in the process.

@Wolfenswan
Thanks for the link, I'll read it, when I find some time.

EDIT:
Does anyone know how to merge this WvW calendar with people's calendars? I thought I've done everything right but apparently it's not working as intended.

Lightbulb
16-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Aedrill - Thanks for setting that up. However that wasn't quite what I had in mind.

My idea was to make a RPS GW2 specific calender and add people to it (by their email address). Some/all with admin rights. So anyone who wants to make a GW2 event need on add it to the calender and everyone else can see it. Rather than srearch through 10 threads you just look at a glance and see what's coming up in the week all in one place.

That way there is one location that we can all see all events that are planned. If you login and see there is a PvE event you can pop along, WvW, sPvP likewise.

If you want I can do this for you - I can add you to the calender I just made to work out if its possible (it is) - or I can let you know how to do it (you/I/someone needs peoples email addresses for this).

----

Regarding upgrading supply camps. Honestly I don't think this is worth it. They are so vulnerable when unattended - as our raiding groups have proven! 5 to 10 men can take one really quickly. They are basically totally insecure when not manned, and they will always be unattended at some point. Defenders rarely have time to get to them before they have been taken. You might retake them just as easily but then the upgrades will have been lost.

Also defenders do not really prioritise them - if a tower/keep is underattack people should rally to it. Less so if its 'just a supply camp'.

----

As you say supply camps do play a vital role though!You need to take them whilst you are online to maintain your towers/keeps.

However I am not sure its worth the man power to fight at them (its also quite boring). If you hold the tower nearby its easy to go and take back the camp - and if its not then the significant force stopping you will be besieging the tower/camp so you should be manning the defences anyway.

----

Towers/Keeps on the other hand (especially if upgraded) need a serious zerg to take - from my experience last night we just pushed back and forwards between two towers - and if they have siege engines on the walls even then its really hard. A group of defenders held off a force I would say 5 to 10 times larger until our defenders respawned and pushed them off again.

I would only bother to upgrading secure structures - ie towers and keeps close to the starter zone. At least at first.

---

Anyway's I hope to actually get to play with some RPS people again soon. Everytime I go on there's either noone playing or a massive queue. Scheduled events will of course help so i hope to see you this evening. :)

Aedrill
16-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Aedrill - Thanks for setting that up. However that wasn't quite what I had in mind.

My idea was to make a RPS GW2 specific calender and add people to it (by their email address). Some/all with admin rights. So anyone who wants to make a GW2 event need on add it to the calender and everyone else can see it. Rather than srearch through 10 threads you just look at a glance and see what's coming up in the week all in one place.

That way there is one location that we can all see all events that are planned. If you login and see there is a PvE event you can pop along, WvW, sPvP likewise.

If you want I can do this for you - I can add you to the calender I just made to work out if its possible (it is) - or I can let you know how to do it (you/I/someone needs peoples email addresses for this).

----

Regarding upgrading supply camps. Honestly I don't think this is worth it. They are so vulnerable when unattended - as our raiding groups have proven! 5 to 10 men can take one really quickly. They are basically totally insecure when not manned, and they will always be unattended at some point. Defenders rarely have time to get to them before they have been taken. You might retake them just as easily but then the upgrades will have been lost.

Also defenders do not really prioritise them - if a tower/keep is underattack people should rally to it. Less so if its 'just a supply camp'.

----

As you say supply camps do play a vital role though!You need to take them whilst you are online to maintain your towers/keeps.

However I am not sure its worth the man power to fight at them (its also quite boring). If you hold the tower nearby its easy to go and take back the camp - and if its not then the significant force stopping you will be besieging the tower/camp so you should be manning the defences anyway.

----

Towers/Keeps on the other hand (especially if upgraded) need a serious zerg to take - from my experience last night we just pushed back and forwards between two towers - and if they have siege engines on the walls even then its really hard. A group of defenders held off a force I would say 5 to 10 times larger until our defenders respawned and pushed them off again.

I would only bother to upgrading secure structures - ie towers and keeps close to the starter zone. At least at first.

---

Anyway's I hope to actually get to play with some RPS people again soon. Everytime I go on there's either noone playing or a massive queue. Scheduled events will of course help so i hope to see you this evening. :)

I know it's not what you had in your mind, it's the same with me. As I already stated, I've never had an opportunity to fiddle with Google Calendar, so I was guessing for most of the time. If you know how to create a calendar that works as we intended, please do tell, or do it yourself, if you want.

As for the supply camps, I agree that there's no point in holding them indefinitely but after a keep is captured, I believe it's a good idea to hold nearby camp and get as much supply as possible from it to upgrade said keep. After this is done and we're able to defend with relatively small forces we can forget about camps. My point is that we should send some people with caravans to upgrade nearby castle/keep and some to defend and upgrade camp to speed up the whole process.

I think that at the main level we agree - keeps are the priority but without supply camps we can't actually support them fully. The question is, if we should spend resources on upgrading camps and to what level.

PiD
16-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm up for some of this! I'm in the RPS guild already as Wulcat, I'm a level 20 something Engineer.

malexmave
16-09-2012, 03:02 PM
As I have seen that the Player Availability Script is currently not used by many, I'd like to ask if there are any special reasons for that (Aside from being too much of a bother to go onto a webpage every time you launch the game, because I can't fix that ;-) ).

I was thinking about upgrading the Script for real-time, refresh-less status updates using HTML5 and Websockets (Not because they are necessarily better than AJAX, but because I want to learn how to use them). Would this improve "acceptance" of the Script? ;-)

Edit: After talking to people on Mumble, the following will be changed:
- Live Updates of the status, without refreshing the page
- Timestamps, so you can see how old a status update is
- The ability to announce an ongoing event (Again, with Timestamp. For example: "Recon Action on GH Borderlands, 16.09.2012 18:04")
- Possibly a chat, if I find the time.

If you need anything more, let me know.

Edit 2: Currently experiencing some problems while trying to rewrite the script. I don't know when I'll get around to look into that. I might add timestamps and Events to the old version though, if I find the time.

Edit 3: I currently don't have the time to update the script, as my free time is spent actually playing GW2 with a friend, and the rewrite would take a few hours at least. I may find the time within the next week or so, but I can't guarantee anything at the moment.

Lightbulb
16-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I know it's not what you had in your mind, it's the same with me. As I already stated, I've never had an opportunity to fiddle with Google Calendar, so I was guessing for most of the time. If you know how to create a calendar that works as we intended, please do tell, or do it yourself, if you want.

Done. Just didn't want to seem like I was 'taking over'. :)

PM me your email address and I will add you as an admin. Does anyone have a list of email addresses already?

Do we want only some admins or everyone - I have no problem with it being everyone to be honest.

btiddles
16-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Sorry I didn't stick around in WvWvW for long, hopefully will get a better run with you folks next time.

ambing1
17-09-2012, 02:00 AM
guerrilla warfare tactics seem to work with me and my buddy. great fun to break the grind from time to time.

whykt
17-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I confess that I had a good time zerging around with the commander guy called Riiad(?) on Sunday afternoon, is that so bad? :P

Quine
18-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Sometimes you have to roll with the zerg, although heroic outnumbered defences are more fun.

Good to see our server is getting it together this round. Last night on EB I saw organised dolyak escorts, keeps being held and upgraded, and some enterprising souls started a collection drive to get the funds together to upgrade SM with a waypoint and better walls, which exceeded targets in a few minutes before they started handing back refunds. We were destroying the other servers last night as a result.

I guess the hard fighting of the first couple of weeks has made us up our game, or just that the better players are all at 80 now. Also it looks like rewards have been increased as I'm actually covering my siege/repair bills and profiting now.

According to the official rankings we're 10th in the European servers currently:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Current-world-rankings

Donjim
19-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I'd love to join the recon team, though I don't play everyday usually. Come October, university starts and I'll have even less time. But basically, I'm available at evenings and during the weekend.
I've added myself to the Google Spreadsheet and the script page.

Also, are there posts about WvW / recon tactics? (If they are in this thread I probably missed them.. well, you've written quite a bit over 6 pages :) )

P.S.
Though my name here, and usually my interwebs nickname, is Donjim, my main toon in GW2 is Gamilt (Necro btw).

Rokahef
24-09-2012, 04:54 PM
A bit late, but this is exactly down my alley! Just got back yesterday from a three week holiday, so I will have time to play again.

Quine
25-09-2012, 12:09 PM
We're having some problems with the current match- Desolation tend to roll in massive numbers and they've teamed up with Augury Rock [FR] to keep us in third place after a promising early lead on Saturday morning. It's a bit dispiriting to see them blatantly helping each other out to smash our gates down and stomp us, and on some maps we have virtually no caps most of the time.

On top of that there looks to be some friction between KISS and some of the other guilds from what I can see on the forums and some of their more juvenile map chat bitching sessions. Still when some of the more team spirited players get organised we've achieved some great captures and defences in the face of much stronger opposition. Even a small dedicated raiding team could make a big difference in taking and keeping supply lines at this stage.

I'm not sure we'd want to get into the next tier up right now to be honest as we'd get destroyed by the more hardcore server in our current state, but watching the losing server getting double-teamed shows a lack of ambition on ARs part. Still it's all good fun...

Malawi Frontier Guard
25-09-2012, 06:17 PM
It's a lot of back and forth. Today at noon Augury owned basically everything, and right now half the map is red.

I don't appreciate these conspiracy theories. The idea of anyone teaming up with... the French is absurd all by itself.

ambing1
30-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Found a great readabout PvP tips from gamearena (http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5116362).I come to like a rather easy write up from this site about this game whenever Ihave the time.
Anyway, I knowthere's more to being successful in this game's PvP than complete mastery ofone's class as it's just as important toknow how to earn points at a shorter time, how the maps work, when to attackand to retreat. Simply put, I think there are common principles that can beapplied to anyone playeing PvP, regardless of build or profession.
First, pointstranslates to prizes. Whatever your plan, it is always wise to keep an eye on the point tally. Whilekilling and chasing enemies can be fun, it is against this principle if itallows the enemy to rack up territory advantage. I've noticed some good teamskeep track of their options for earning points in a situation and takeadvantage of ripe oppurtunities as they come. At times, that can mean going inbunches to go out and fight. Sometimes, it also means staying put and denyingenemy kills.
Second, finish them.Getting downed means you need to kill an enemy or be revived by teammate toprevent bleeding to death. Either way can be a hassle. It is then important tokill a dying enemy right away as finishing moves have a warm-up period, thus arerelatively easy to interrupt. If you're trying to save a teammate, using aknockback or a stun is a sure way to do it. As the enemy may try to interruptyour team's stomp, it is a must for a good team to let others act as eyes tokeep track of enemies around their fallen comrade. It's a great temptation torush in and kill a downed enemy to get kills (especially if you're playing withstrangers). But like in Dota, proper teamplay is needed to rack up points.
Sometimes, it alsomakes sense to concentrate on more stronger foes, leaving downed enemiestemporarily so the team can concentrate on more active foes at a time. Mpooingup can follow later.
Will update thispost later if I have more time.

Quine
01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Actually, no- you're just one of those spammers...

Alegis
03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Some Gunnar's Hold people seem to get together on Reddit for TS chats, useful for our Wuvwuv leaders

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10vafy/gunnars_hold_players_assemble_wvw/

Quine
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I believe the alliance guilds try to have an objective-setting discussion via TS on or just after the matches start up open to guild reps/leaders. It would be good to see RPS getting involved in turning the Hold's WVW fortunes around after recent events.

noaru
04-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Well Aedrill was big on organizing this and also our fearless and completely missing leader (Timofee). With them gone, nobody tried to pick up the reins.

malexmave
05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm a bit inactive at the moment, due to preparations for the upcoming semester. At the moment, I cannot tell how much time I will have in the next months, but there is a pretty high chance that I will be pretty much unable to play in any serious way.

Also, I have been a bit frustrated from WvW, since all my characters are either no fun or pretty much useless in unorganized WvW. Rangers are boring, Warriors are also pretty boring at my level, and my guardian is useless since everyone (Of the random people in WvW Zergs) is constantly running away from my heals, hiding in front of my reflective wall instead of behind it, and so on.

Might give it another shot next week (last week before semester).

Prester John
06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Had my first go at WvWvW, much confusion ensued, thats ok.. worst part was getting home, got lost

Would love to try some more structured pvp.

Where do i sign up!?

Squiz
07-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Stonemist Castle, claimed in the name of Horace the Endless! If only there weren't those pesky kids from the neighbourhood, ruining the lawn!!

John
13-10-2012, 09:03 PM
^ I suppose the glory only lasted for 10 mins right before it was stormed again. :D

As for some WvW action, personally I had an idea of forming a group of thieves to do open-pvp and capturing supply camps and perhaps try to get an undefended keep down. I'm not sure how much of a big deal 1 flame ram does.. but if there was 2 flame rams, maybe that would be a different story. Kakle and me have been doing some active WvWing in the evening quite recently. Doing what I described above. Taking a supply camp with just 2 is possible.

I'm sure when timofee comes back, we'll get something bigger going, at least something we will probably talk about as an topic. If you got a thief (preferably close to lv80, if not lv80), add me up and whisper me later or send me a mail. My account nickname is kinjiru.somethingsomethingnumbers, one of the dukes, last logged in on John Thorns/Rakel/Edda Swan. Why thieves? Thieves are the most mobile profession out there. You got tools to escape and deceive. And since we will be running a lot, going from places to places, doing supply camps, veteran guards and open-pvp, mobility is the most important thing to have. And thus doing open-pvp or taking supply camps, there will be times when the enemies come in great numbers. And if you are not able to get away from there fast, you will probably die a horrible death, therefore thieves! : )

noaru
14-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I really think you're limiting the group by sticking only to thieves. What you need is people that are good at situational awareness and have at least a few quick-getaway skills. For example a mesmer is also very good at this - do i need to even mention mass invisibility and portals?

PS I've been doing this with a couple mates the past days with good success (apart from sieges because we didnt get any rams) and we were a lvl 13 mesmer, a lvl 80 warrior and a lvl 80 guardian.

John
14-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I really think you're limiting the group by sticking only to thieves. What you need is people that are good at situational awareness and have at least a few quick-getaway skills. For example a mesmer is also very good at this - do i need to even mention mass invisibility and portals?

PS I've been doing this with a couple mates the past days with good success (apart from sieges because we didnt get any rams) and we were a lvl 13 mesmer, a lvl 80 warrior and a lvl 80 guardian.

It might be limiting, but it is for a good reason. It is for the maximal use of the mobility a thief has. It is very hard to keep up with 25% more run speed, if traits, swiftness on dodge. And above all the short-bow, which is very essential for getting away and moving fast. The mobility isn't just for getting away, but also for the traveling. I had a strike team of 3 thieves and one warrior. And the warrior was always the last to arrive. I don't know about you, but personally I don't think that would be too much of fun being in the warriors shoes, when the thieves just breeze to the next spot, thus the reasoning of having only thieves.

I'm not saying that it can't be done with any other professions, as in taking supply camps and doing open-pvp. But the whole point is to being able to move from point A to point B in a short time and the many other charms a thief has up it's sleeve. And I'm not saying that we can't do WvW together as a guild. It is just one of my ideas I had, to have a group of thieves doing chaos all over the map + the fast mobility.

noaru
14-10-2012, 03:13 PM
You have a point there and I agree that the thief is quite good at this. When doing it with other classes it's important to move as a pack and use aoe swiftness skills. It's never good to leave ppl to run alone.

Sadly I think it's going to be a long time though until I'm going to have a near-80 thief so gl with your all-thief hit-squad :)

Choca
15-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd love to form a thief hit-squad but levelling my thief is so painful, the guy gets killed by EVERYTHING :o

Trav
15-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Hey there.

Short introduction - I'm Trav, guild leader of The Karma Initiative over on Whiteside Ridge in Guild Wars 2. We are the official EU reddit guild.

We are currently throwing round the idea of moving servers due to the lack of interest in WvW on our current server. So I was wondering if you knew how the WvW is on your server? Whether or not there are large, active guilds within WvW, whether or not you have a problem with night capping, how long the queues for WvW are etc.

We are currently the only large guild (500 members) on our server and it seems when we are not taking part in WvW, nothing gets done and we are getting quite frustrated!

Cheers for your time,
Trav

Squiz
16-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey Trav, sorry just spotted your post. I can't really say all that much about WvWvW issues and the like, since I only hop in for a quick session every now and then if I don't team up with the recon team.

I think Gunnar's Hold isn't doing particularly good or bad against other servers. Most of the time we have a solid second place, although right now we are getting our behinds kicked. Personal experience says that there are some bigger and active guilds running around in WvWvW, like some of the KISS guys.

Queues really depend on how the matches are going at the moment, but right now, you can get into EB withing 15min or so. Night capping surely does happen although last week Gunnar's Hold had at least its keep and two towers fortified and made some solid attempts at holding Miststone Keep.

I suggest you PM Timofee at some point (I think he is still on holidays atm) and ask him directy. I am sure we could get some coordinated WvWvW action going, especially since there a quite a few people here in the RPS guild that can't wait to play a more active role in the server matches.

If you've got more questions, keep 'em coming. I hope I could answer some of the initial ones.

Cheers!

Magnetic
16-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Trav, a 500 person guild is something that we could really use.

A big problem with us are the shifts, we play quite well but during the day we lose a lot of points. We are a Euro server (but with a UK leaning it seems like), so if your guild has a lot of EU members that could definitely be beneficial.

The lack of penalty for switching servers at the moment has our server in flux almost constantly.

BobbyFizz
17-10-2012, 01:26 AM
The lack of penalty for switching servers at the moment has our server in flux almost constantly.

This seems to be the problem at the moment. If we're doing well, people stay, if we get matched against a heavy server, people switch after the first day. Must be a problem with a lot of servers at the moment.

noaru
17-10-2012, 09:16 AM

I honestly don't understand why the free transfers are still here. It was great for release indeed, but that is in the past, realms are not overloaded anymore so why really? Or at least put in a cooldown that is synchronized with the WvW shuffle.

Magnetic
17-10-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but with recent events and performances in wvw, gunnar's hold is trying to get a bit more organised.

a new community has begun at http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/

but the main point of this post is the GH mumble server those guys setup - is there anyone who can edit the guild's message of the day available so i can give you the details? There's always a good bunch of people on there, so when other guild members aren't online you can still be far more effective.

only if you guys want it there, just a suggestion really. you can just join that board if you want it too, I guess

sendmark
18-10-2012, 01:07 AM
This stuff is very useful. Knowing Anet they will keep iterating WvW along with everything else. At the moment it hasn't gripped me, but I can see the potential for it to get a lot better. Having a rally point like this for the server will be very useful, will have to dip into it.

Squiz
18-10-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but with recent events and performances in wvw, gunnar's hold is trying to get a bit more organised.

a new community has began at http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/

but the main point of this post is the GH mumble server those guys setup - is there anyone who can edit the guild's message of the day available so i can give you the details? There's always a good bunch of people on there, so when other guild members aren't online you can still be far more effective.

only if you guys want it there, just a suggestion really. you can just join that board if you want it too, I guessI could edit the message of the day and would add the GH mumble server as long as the maximum number of characters allows us to keep the old details as well. Will look into this tonight.

Loki
18-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey there.

Short introduction - I'm Trav, guild leader of The Karma Initiative over on Whiteside Ridge in Guild Wars 2. We are the official EU reddit guild.

We are currently throwing round the idea of moving servers due to the lack of interest in WvW on our current server. So I was wondering if you knew how the WvW is on your server? Whether or not there are large, active guilds within WvW, whether or not you have a problem with night capping, how long the queues for WvW are etc.

We are currently the only large guild (500 members) on our server and it seems when we are not taking part in WvW, nothing gets done and we are getting quite frustrated!

Cheers for your time,
Trav

Hey Trav,

We've had quite a big kick to our WvW numbers recently with 3 guilds leaving to join Blacktide (The Unamed, Crimson Imperium Reborn and Dark Reavers). There was some drama between [CIR] and [KISS] and part of The Initiative left - DkR leaving hit me the hardest. They were a good bunch of guys.

Like has been said previously. We have a brilliant task force which does well as soon as everyone has come home from work basically. It's through the night where we lose absolutely everything.

Even with the loss, there's some dedicated guilds still left to fight for a higher WvW Tier (Praxium, Lords of England, Vitas Oscura Simmetria, Mara to name a few). Unfortunately, none of these have big numbers on their side.

At the end of the day, it depends what you're looking for.

Are you looking for tier 1-3 material?

If you're looking for a good European mid tier server, I'd say Gunnar's is one of the best. Blacktide has had a sudden influx of people checking gw2guilds.org. With the nightcapping potential they have through the backing of [xaoc], I can see them pushing hard. There's no way they're getting tier 1 though I'd have thought.

At the end of the day, if you're able to offer numbers during the the night/early morning, you'd probably fit right in. Otherwise it may be a case of you logging in after work, playing brilliant, controlling all borderlands, only to lose them while you sleep and work.

P.S. This is not the Loki (IGN: L O K I) from Project G.O.L.E.M [PG]. My name's Lepita / Loki Calevera of The Tide [TT]

Quine
18-10-2012, 01:54 PM

a new community has began at http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/

only if you guys want it there, just a suggestion really. you can just join that board if you want it too, I guess

They have a protected forum to discuss server WvW strategy on there- if an RPS guild officer could add us to the GH guilds list we could get access and see what's coming up/going down, which would be useful.

Are recon squads out on a regular basis now? I need to try and get involved at a reasonable hour.

Magnetic
18-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah I just had a look, would probably be useful if we were added there. We'd be welcomed too, I Imagine; 400 members is nothing to be sniffed at (active numbers may vary ;))

*this is the thread (http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/6-Gunnar-s-Hold-Guild-Info-and-Officers) btw

Squiz
19-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Something for the WvWvW Thiefs: Apparently it is possible to get infinite uses of Heart Seeker while out of combat by swapping weapon immediately after performing the move, thereby conserving initiative. The weapons swap cooldown out of combat is pretty low, so if you can be bothered to repeat this every time you activate the skill, you can gain quite a lot of travel speed when going from point A to point B.

Squiz
20-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Double post because it's Saturday late morning and I'm feeling good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOEZMjuoIEY).

Had some WvWvW fun yesterday, on my own (because WvWvW is for solo play, oh yeah). At first I messed around with my low level Mesmer, then the new server matchup hit and things got a bit crazy. During the first 15-30min Gunnar's Hold quickly took over large parts of the map and then... then I decided that I should try my luck with the jumping puzzle, seeing that it was quite late and chances were that not many people would bother to camp the choke points. I quickly learned that I was wrong with this assumption, but nonetheless managed to get to the chest after a while.

Then I took another look at the /team chat and the map. Apparently Gandara finally had decided to do something about the situation and... well... rolled over every single outpost and supply camp with the GH tag on it. Welp. Back to the jumping puzzle then. Again I got lucky and met some fellow GH people, but also ran into a few small groups of Gandara Invaders, camping throughout the maze (popular spots seem to be the invis wells, the large ascend at the great well and of course the beast room).

Highlights of the evening (apart from reaching the goddam chest with three different characters) were an encounter with some thieves camping at a choke point which I bypassed without wearing any armor, an ambush at an invis well which at first went badly for me until reinforcements arrived and scared away the meany that killed me, and surfing a bunch of bad guys off platforms at the top of the beast room with Temporal Curtain. Oh, and popping out of invisibility behind two guys that tried to keep other players from ascending and immediatley whispering "Fear me...". :)

Then I died (but it was ok at that point).

Quine
21-10-2012, 12:46 AM
A few of us represented on the new matchup and it's good and bad news so far. The good news is that there's a lot better communication between the guilds now, and that we're getting better at following some form of plan- apart from the will of the zerg. If we can get RPS onto their known guilds list we might get to see what operations they have planned. I think there's one scheduled for early this week.

We've had many epic fights against much larger enemy forces and scored some great wins, such as the frantic defense of our garrison keep lord with the room full of enemies, twice, and some great siege defences where the enemy got minced in short order. It was also interesting to watch the guys on mumble agree to hand over our orb to Kodash on Friday as it was hacked off them, which they appreciated. (They did attack as as we tried to retake our keep when they hinted they might not, but we were sort of glad as that level of server unity would have been quite scary...)

The bad news is that once again we're completely swamped by a united enemy. Gandara offered to work with us to fight the large number of Fort Ranik [FR] hordes we're up against, and their night team, but it was felt that we'd prefer to go it alone. We seem to have been getting sandwiched between the other sides a lot so far, and people have claimed to see FR and G guarding each others stuff on their borderlands so they may well be in an alliance to keep us in last place. Some servers are happy just to make second place and the initial losing side gets stomped very quickly.

As it is we have no chance of winning this match, and our wvw server pop is low- despite hour long queues, oddly enough. We're still fighting hard and having some great scraps. If we get matched with opponents of a similar active pop we'll destroy them. Let petty scores matter to the lesser servers!

Squiz
21-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Aaand lost everything again. Not a single outpost in EB under GH control. As it is, there is no point in WvWvW for us it seems. What we'd need is some US support or a larger player base. A bit disappointing to be honest, I have no idea why we get matched against those big and obviously very successful servers.

Quine
21-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Most of the wvw guilds seem to avoid EB as the place of the PUGs and the zerg, and concentrate on the borderlands as they have the orbs. I don't agree with this myself as I've seen randoms achieve some impressive stuff in EB before. Of course we lost our own borderlands and were on the way out of the other two early this morning, but we were hopelessly outnumbered everywhere even before the nightcappers started up.

The current scoring system is hopelessly broken- some servers have 24-hour coverage, some are filled with organised wvw guilds, and server transfers mean people can jump to what the see as a more successful server and give them all long join queues.
We've dropped from 10th to 15th out of 27 EU servers since weekly matches began, despite coming second or third against much larger enemy forced. We actually beat Kodash the first time we met, and we trounced Gandara easily last time so they're either a lot more organised and/or have received an influx of players due to advertising or their perceived success.

Until they end free server transfers and the matching system starts having some sort of impact on moving us towards servers with more equal wvw crowds the rankings don't mean anything and we're probably going to get wiped out a lot of the time. I think it's much more important to have fun battles than to try and get nearer the dreaded top tiers, though it would be nice to be able to retain our stuff overnight. What I do see is that we're good fighters against even numbers, and we've pulled off some proper wins against far larger numbers more often than we should.

I just hope anet address this soon- they've finally said they're taking the problems seriously and have some solutions in the works.

Timofee
22-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Ok, we're good to go over at the server's community forum

http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/forum.php

If you do register and want access to the WvW discussion you need to join the RPS group and I can approve your entry.

As mentioned the other day on chat, I'm looking for one or several folks to take up the WvW Officer positions as I appreciate there's a bunch of you in there most of the time and you'd like some more structure. I'm more than happy to organise mass events for the guild but aside from that I'll rarely venture into WvW so if you're up to the challenge (and play a hefty amount) then let me know.

Prester John
28-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Had some fun joining random groups on WvWvW last night, just following the zerg. Had even better fun when i was outside a castle with a small group picking away at the large attacking. Small units look to be fun, less lag too! Got Mumble sorted, give me a shout when you're next go!!! (I can play any class you like so long as its a Mesmer).

Krathor
30-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Hey guys.

I've started to play GW2 quite a lot now and I'd be up for some WvWvW with an organised team myself. Are you guys still on Gunnar's Hold? I'm on Whiteside Ridge ATM but my word we are doing terribly so I fancy a move.

Squiz
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Edit: Nevermind, I'm a blind mole that can't read. Just found your comments in the very thread that I linked in my original message. Carry on.

Hey Krathor, I didn't spot your message until now, sorry about that. We are still on the GH server and WvWvW is going stronger than ever! We joined forces with other GH guilds over at the Gunnar's Hold Server forums (http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/forum.php) (also check this thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?6603-Gunnar-s-Hold-Community) for some additional info) and there is something going on every night (and probably also during the day).

This is if you haven't already joined in in the first place... I keep forgetting who I've already sent invitations to. We'd be happy to have you in our guild/on the GH server!

Squiz
08-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Sorry for the double post, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took part in tonight's WvWvW struggle. It has been a tough evening for us I feel, but it was still tons of fun. To everyone who is at least slightly interested in well *cough* coordinated group battles, we are happy to have additional helping hands.

noaru
09-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry for the double post, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took part in tonight's WvWvW struggle. It has been a tough evening for us I feel, but it was still tons of fun. To everyone who is at least slightly interested in well *cough* coordinated group battles, we are happy to have additional helping hands.

It's really good that things are more organized nowadays. I want to join you, but first I have to get my engineer to a decent level (I don't really enjoy playing guardian in WvW) and for that I need time to play. So I'll get there eventually, save some of those filthy invaders/defenders for me!

Quine
09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Shame I've got RL stuff getting in the way yesterday and today- it looks like an epic finish as we try to get second place back.

I think as a server we need to run some introductory group sessions with people interested in WvW. Give them space in a party and show them the ropes, and so forth. Also you can contribute and have fun even at low levels- yes you lack some of the utility skills of the higher level players, but that doesn't mean you can't do significant damage, help with fortifications, man siege engines and so forth. I did most of my levelling in WvW and it was great fun.

Did people hit EB last night? I was away enjoying some adult beverages and it sounds like I missed some roaming actions across the world.

Malfious
09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
We should try get a party together sometime and sneak attack some keeps

Squiz
09-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I agree, you don't need a level 80 character to have fun in WvWvW (although it certainly makes killing people easier), since you can operate siege equipment at any level and nobody minds another warm body running along when they are engaging that group of NPCs guarding the supply camp. Event XP is probably the biggest leveling factor for me at the moment.

We actually had a ninja group yesterday evening, which I was part of, and took supply camps all over the map. As long as a group of 5-6 people has enough firepower to annihilate NPCs in a decent amount of time (before the enemy can react) and as long as you stay flexible in your capping order, a few of these teams can be pretty effective.

The idea of training nights has also come up over at the GH server forums, so I suggest we keep an eye on the WvWvW threads there (make sure to register on the site and get Timofee to accept you into the [RPS] group). Also, tonight is the weekly WvWvW Mumble meeting where everyone is welcome to show up and discuss how the week went, what the positive things were and where there is still room for improvement.

Afterwards, another Mumble meeting is scheduled with guys from Piken Square and Abbadon's Mouth coming over. So if you want to hear or see the enemies' views on the match-up, that's the time and place to be (http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/90-Every-Friday-Night-WvW-meeting-in-mumble).

I'll also leave this link (http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/259-Gunnars-Hold-Irregulars) here for people interested in (ir)regular (hurr hurr) strike force action.

Timofee
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
...make sure to register on the site and get Timofee to accept you into the [RPS] group...

FYI for those that requested the last couple of days, we should be up to date again

noaru
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree, you don't need a level 80 character to have fun in WvWvW (although it certainly makes killing people easier), since you can operate siege equipment at any level and nobody minds another warm body running along when they are engaging that group of NPCs guarding the supply camp. Event XP is probably the biggest leveling factor for me at the moment.

It's cool but after a point. At very low levels you lack a few things and that makes the whole experience much worse: reliable switftness (you will either slow the group down or fall behind), survivability (any npc sneezes at you and you're almost dead) and decent firepower. Yes there's plenty you can do and trust me I've tried lowbie-wuv on my engi, ele and mesmer. It was ok, but lacking.

I'm not talking about waiting till 80 with exotics to join wuv, but I figure I'm going to be in my 40-50s when I come in. Tbh, I'd rather be 60 so I can max out a trait line, but it seems a bit too late.

Squiz
10-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Ohhhhh yeahhhh.

Prester John
10-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Ohhhhh yeahhhh.

Yeah that was pretty good, got it on the last tick (10 minutes) after a lot of effort. At first it showed us last but changed to the correct score. Very good fun and brilliant team effort from GH.

Squiz
10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
It did feel pretty good, the Mumble channel was full of cheering and laughter.

Krathor
11-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah I mean that was pretty fantastic. Let's hope that we can have a repeat performance this week.