PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes gameplay

Sketch
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8&

Long cutscene with a bit of gameplay, but wow, that engine...

So excited for this.

DaftPunk
01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
When did they confirmed its on pc as well ?

Didn't Snake died in MGS4 ?

Otherwise graphics looks good,but nothing special.

Sketch
01-09-2012, 11:30 PM
A few moments ago. It's multiplatform. This is Big Boss, not Snake too. Plus those graphics are insane...the detail and animation is great.

DaftPunk
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
But how is this logical that we get fifth part released on pc while third and fourth are only on playstation. Its kinda stupid but heck,it can't hurt having more games on pc,especially stealth ones. I only hope we get more gameplay this time,and cut the custcenes crap,but this is kojima we are talking about,there is going to be 40 hours of cutscenes and 6 of gameplay lol.

Sketch
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Well if it's like 3, the story should still be pretty good on it's own. The cutscenes are always long in MG games, this looks like the opening scene to me so it's hard to tell if it's going to be like that all the time. That said, MGS3 has a lot of gameplay and a lot of cutscenes. It's only really 4 that has the cutscenes overbearing the gameplay.

DaftPunk
01-09-2012, 11:46 PM
But i don't believe allot of pc gamers are familiar with MGS lore,heck even i only played first one,couldn't get second one to work,eventually gave up on game..

Sketch
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
So they should just not make games for PC if other games in the series aren't? O_o

DaftPunk
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
So they should just not make games for PC if other games in the series aren't? O_o

My point was that this is very story driven game.

Brit89
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Always teasing us Hideo is. As a long time Metal Gear fan, I'm stoked for a Peace Walker sequel. Hope this ties the link between that and the first Metal Gear.

*EDIT: Seems this game acts as a prologue to MGS5; http://kotaku.com/5939881/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-a-prologue-to-metal-gear-solid-5

Tres
02-09-2012, 12:08 AM
FYI there's a total of 15 seconds of actual gameplay.

9:24

Brit89
02-09-2012, 05:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFuCY4yRYdM&feature=g-u-u

Extended with devs talking through the gameplay, and Geoff Keighley doing a interview with Hideo Kojima.

unruly
02-09-2012, 08:53 AM
And here's calling that those screenshots they put online a year or so ago to show off the Fox Engine, but claimed weren't an MGS game, were really from this. They probably tacked on the ponytail that the guy in those screens had in a failed attempt to throw people off. Or maybe they will surprise us and release more than one game using the Fox Engine within a year or two of each other. But I really doubt that.

That being said, this looks really, really pretty. I mean that has to be one of the best looking things I've seen in a while. However, the vast majority of it was cutscene and ,while I know the MGS has tended to do most of their cutscenes in-engine, I have misgivings about everything looking that good at all times. Looking forward to a new main-line MGS game that isn't on a handheld though. I could never get into Portable Ops because the PSP just hurts my hands to play for any period of time.

ado
02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh man, that looks fucking awesome... The Metal Gear fanboy in me is jumping with joy!

The jump to open world seems very natural for me when this series is concerned, considering how open the levels where in MGS3 and 4. Not sure how they'll give the game a sense of urgency (something that a story-driven open world game has yet achieved), but I have faith in Kojima. As game designers go he is the cream of the crop IMO.

TixyLixx
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I hate the linear levels of 3 and 4.

Love 1 and Tanker in 2 because they were complexes you were free to move around in but it was like infiltrating them and those settings feel like MGS to me.

Dominic Tarason
02-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I've said it elsewhere, but one of the most interesting general things about the MGS series is that it has actually split into two fairly well-defined settings. Crazy spy-fiction set between the 60s and 80s (which this fits into), and full-blown cyberpunk espionage in 20XX.

The upcoming action spinoff (by the Bayonetta devs, so it'll be great) Revengeance is 100% cyberpunk craziness. Ground Zeroes looks to be a little more grounded. No flipping around as a cyborg ninja, although I do expect there to be battles against giant robots. They're an essential part of the series, after all - Peace Walker had no less than five Metal Gears, each with three variants.

ado
02-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I hate the linear levels of 3 and 4.

Love 1 and Tanker in 2 because they were complexes you were free to move around in but it was like infiltrating them and those settings feel like MGS to me.

Uhm... Most levels in MGS3 and particularly MGS4 are very Deus-Ex like in the fact that they provide multiple options and pathways for completing them. This is even the case in levels that take place in interior areas, while exterior levels are pretty much large playgrounds that don't even offer a set path to follow.

SirKicksalot
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
How do the PC ports of MGS 1 and 2 hold up? Are they playable on modern systems?

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I think first one runs pretty well on pc,but with second one i had quite some problems,then there were the controls,one of the shittiest controls in games and you can't even change them.

Dominic Tarason
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
If you have either of the big consoles, just get the MGS HD collection. MGS 2, 3 & Peace Walker, all at 60fps/720p/widescreen. This in particular is a huge upgrade for the formerly PSP-bound Peace Walker. Set me back just over 20. Crazy good value, when you realize just how huge the replay value on these games is. It might seem linear at times, but there's multiple solutions to everything.

Sparkasaurusmex
02-09-2012, 03:32 PM
How do the PC ports of MGS 1 and 2 hold up? Are they playable on modern systems?
You are probably better off emulating a PSX

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Watched the video again and need to admit i'm getting hyped,finally another stealth game on PC!

Sparkasaurusmex
02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
That's cool but it's hard to get excited for "another" stealth game when this one is going to out-MaxPayne3 Max Payne 3 with it's cut scenes. Also reasons it's hard to be excited for this stealth game: Hitman Absolution, Dishonoured...

TixyLixx
02-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Uhm... Most levels in MGS3 and particularly MGS4 are very Deus-Ex like in the fact that they provide multiple options and pathways for completing them. This is even the case in levels that take place in interior areas, while exterior levels are pretty much large playgrounds that don't even offer a set path to follow.

I only played the first few hours of each of them but it was all linear so didn't like it.

Where MGS 1 and the tanker in 2 (I hated the raiden part) felt like you were at a location, they were like squares u could do anything in. From what I played of 3 and 4 it was like a corridor and you never felt like you were at a location, just felt very gamey.

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
That's cool but it's hard to get excited for "another" stealth game when this one is going to out-MaxPayne3 Max Payne 3 with it's cut scenes. Also reasons it's hard to be excited for this stealth game: Hitman Absolution, Dishonoured...

No offense men but it sounds like you never heard of MGS games,even in first 3d MGS game,there are cutscenes everywhere,i mean you get used to them,its that kind of game,which rapes you with cheesy radio calls/dialogs lol,but screw that,gameplay is quite good :x

Dominic Tarason
02-09-2012, 04:59 PM
The MGS games really don't play like anything else. Not 'they don't play like every other stealth game', but seriously, there is nothing else that even comes close to replicating the feel of the franchise.

Yes, they're very videogamey. They frequently break the fourth wall. They often give you very simple goals like 'get from point A to point B', but a thousand different ways to do it, most of them silly and inefficient, but my god, it's fun.

There's nothing quite like trapping wild snakes in MGS3, and then throwing them at guards to freak them out.

Unaco
02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
gameplay is quite good :x

What gameplay? Pressing Start at the menu doesn't count, you know.

Dominic Tarason
02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
What gameplay? Pressing Start at the menu doesn't count, you know.

Enough with this meme, already! It was tired five years ago. Maybe ten. There's a reason why MGS FAQs are among the most ridiculously huge ever produced. The amount of hidden stuff and optional content in there is beyond compare.

Unaco
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Enough with this meme, already!

It might be old, but it never gets boring... unlike watching MGS cutscenes... sorry, playing MGS games. And the FAQs are that long because they have to explain the convoluted, beyond parody storyline, and pieces of fan service that are thrown in.

Sketch
02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Most FAQs don't even say anything about then but you're poking at it so never mind.

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
My biggest grip with this announcement is that majority of pc gamers are not familiar with story and characters from MGS games,maybe they could prepare a few min long video which briefly explains the story from previous games for us,pc gamers.

Sketch
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Look up the MGS timeline. Covers everything.

ado
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
It's not hard to go to the MGS wiki page and spend a few minutes reading, or look up a few videos on youtube that go through the story. I actually recommend "All Your History are Belong to Us: MGS" and the GameTrailers retrospective on the franchise. Both recap the creation of the series and go through all the major plot points.

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Well its either not hard to make few minutes long video,describing previous events in MGS franchise,or at least few pages of text,with explanation of MGS plot.

Sketch
02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
But there's the official Timeline. Just go and read it, man.

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Lazy devs are lazy..Off to watch ALL YOUR HISTORY BELONG TO US:MGS RETRO.. -.-

Sketch
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
They're lazy? There's an interactive time line on their website :s

http://www.metalgearsolid.com/app/webroot/timeline/

Brit89
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Lazy...

Look who's talking :/

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm still sticking with my first statement,imagine you are new to the series,and to find out the plot,your only way is to read the whole thing on internet..Instead Kojima could make short brief video..yadadada,you know what i'm saying :v

Lets focus to the game now,what kind of improvements are you expecting,or are you wishing ;D

Brit89
02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm still sticking with my first statement,imagine you are new to the series,and to find out the plot,your only way is to read the whole thing on internet..Instead Kojima could make short brief video..yadadada,you know what i'm saying :v

Lets focus to the game now,what kind of improvements are you expecting,or are you wishing ;D

:P

I think it could just be like Peace Walker but for major systems and improvements. If anyone's played that game, it's sort of open-world like Hideo was going on about. Setting wise, I'm thinking somewhere in south Africa.

DaftPunk
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I just hope it plays like Splinter Cell.. :p

DaftPunk
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Totally forgot about this thread,overall i went through plot of MGS and its kinda messy lol,its like Kojima wanted to have twist after twist,even if the quality of twists were rather poor lol.. He should direct anime or something,its perfect for the job.

Sketch
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
The MGS plotline is very twisty, I imagine reading about it makes it worse than it is. The plot from 1-3 is easy to follow, it's in 4 where it gets pretty convoluted.

gundato
04-09-2012, 05:21 PM
The plot of the Metal Gears is wonky, but nowhere near as bad as most people think.
Pasting from another place I posted this. A pretty good summary for those who want to know the series. In white text for those who don't. If you look at the broad strokes and not the zany "Wow... this is weird even by Japanese standards" moments, it is pretty simple.

During World War 2, a special forces unit was founded on the principle of accomplishing great things with small teams of highly trained individuals with supernatural powers. Their leader, The Boss, was an incredibly charismatic woman and legendary soldier. Unfortunately, her sacrifices were not appreciated, and she was sacrificed to forward the political agendas of those in power (MGS3). However, her actions inspired her former comrade (Zero) and her protege (Big Boss) to carry on her legacy. Unfortunately, these two men had very different interpretations of The Boss’s will and would grow to be enemies.
Big Boss chose to interpret her philosophy to exemplify purity of action and respect for the heroism of soldiers, and Big Boss chose to realize this by doing away with nations and leading a military without a nation (Peace Walker, MG1, MG2).
Zero chose to interpret her philosophy to mean the ability to sacrifice anything and everything to ensure the safety of the world and stability. He did this through manipulation of the world government as an organization known as “The Patriots”.
However, as time went on, it became clear that Zero’s activities would require soldiers on par with the Cobra unit of WWII and of Big Boss. The former was handled by using technology to either create special abilities or to enhance those latent in the soldiers themselves (Many of the people in the MGS series do seem to have abilities, even without nanomachines. The latter involved the cloning of arguably the greatest soldier to ever live, Big Boss.
As Zero and Big Boss clashed, Zero would manipulate one of the son’s of Big Boss, Solid Snake, to assassinate Big Boss himself (MG1... and MG2).
Later, two of the other clones of Big Boss (Liquid and Solidus) would act to try to stop Zero and realize Big Boss’s legacy. Yet again, Solid Snake was involved in stopping them. (MGS1 and MGS2).
It is worth noting that Zero’s organization never stopped trying to create soldiers capable of influencing world events. The Big Shell incident (MGS2) in particular was also a psychological experiment to recreate the circumstances that allowed Solid Snake (and Big Boss) to reach his potential. This "created" Raiden.
However, over the course of Zero’s plotting, a disciple of Big Boss (Ocelot) acted to stop Zero. By sabotaging the plans of the children of Big Boss, Ocelot was able to situate himself in a position to strike at the very heart of Zero’s organization. However, to do this, he had to ensure that nobody could truly know his actions. To accomplish this, he brainwashed himself into believing he was the reincarnation of one of Big Boss’s sons (Liquid Snake) and pushed the world to the edge of Armageddon to ensure that all eyes were on him. This allowed other operatives to liberate Big Boss from Zero’s control, as well as allowing said operatives to find Zero himself. In the end, Solid Snake killed Ocelot to save the world form Armageddon, but not until Zero’s organization was largely neutralized. (MGS4)
Additionally, Big Boss ensured that all those who were potentially capable of resurrecting the organization (Big Boss, Zero, EVA, Ocelot, Sigint/Donald Anderson, Para-Medic/Dr Clarke) were eliminated.

deano2099
04-09-2012, 05:46 PM

How do you know they won't? Many of the games have had brief descriptions or stuff about previously relevant information available on the main menu. MGS 1 and 2 did, 3 was a prequel so didn't really need it, can't speak for 4.

gundato
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
MGS4 explained important stuff with exposition text (or gameplay from MGS1 :p), but it also came with a free download of the Metal Gear Encyclopedia which let you look up info on previous games. It was even nice because, if it detected a finished MGS4 save, it unlocked the MGS4 entries too.

I hope they update that to cover Peace Walker and the new games.

DaftPunk
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks gundato,that sums it up pretty well. What do you think Ground Zero will be about :o

gundato
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I haven't been following too closely, but it sounds like it is Big Boss again (eye patch, young guy), so my bet is the hell of Zanzibarland (setting of MG2 and the background of MGS2).

That was basically the premise of Peace Walker. You are founding Outer Heaven and it was REALLY well done (you had a true sense of foreboding as you realize what you are doing and how it will end). After MG1, Big Boss relocated to Zanzibarland. I don't know the full timeline, but it makes sense that he would have had connections there, even before Snake blew his legs up with C4 or whatever the current cinematic MG1 battle is. They could set it AFTER MG1, but that might mean old Snake. Although, that would be great since it would fit in with the subtitle perfectly. More white text!
MG1 marked the first time Zero and The Patriots overtly moved against him. They interfered during Peacewalker, but that was more an observation thing (I forget if Paz was a Patriot or not). MG1 was them sending the result of his sperm-jacking to kill him.

But I have seen some promo images of "Old Snake". So it could very well be David (Solid Snake) being trained by John (Big Boss) on a warzone, which would support co-op which is all the rage these days. In SP mode you play as either Big Boss or Solid Snake, depending on the mission, and in co-op you get to be both of them. But as much as that would give me a "Weird meta"-boner, it is doubtful since it would make for WAY too many potential plotholes/retcons and I think the known footage shows Young Snake as definitely being Big Boss (Outer Heaven logos and eye patch).

Or this is gonna be MGS2 all over again and this is set in between MGS2 and MGS4 and is about Raiden recovering Big Boss's body and Sunny. That WAS the original plot of Revengeance before Konami realized they sucked horribly and farmed it off to a different studio (and it became set post-MGS4).

Sketch
04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I reckon this is going to show how Big Boss became who he was in Metal Gear 1. That area hasn't really been covered yet and considering Kojima has said Solid Snake would be in MGS5 and this is a prequel to that, then I can see this leading directly into that, with a young solid Snake on his first mission, to stop Big Boss. Could well just be a remake of Metal Gear 1.

gundato
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I reckon this is going to show how Big Boss became who he was in Metal Gear 1. That area hasn't really been covered yet and considering Kojima has said Solid Snake would be in MGS5 and this is a prequel to that, then I can see this leading directly into that, with a young solid Snake on his first mission, to stop Big Boss. Could well just be a remake of Metal Gear 1.

Actually, the two PSP games cover it pretty well. Portable Ops is him becoming disillusioned with The Patriots, Peace Walker is him making Outer Heaven. Peace Walker is part of the HD Re-release and is even on the PSN and runs pretty well on the PS3. It feels like a first-gen PS2 game in terms of clunkiness.

I DO like the "remake of MG1" idea though. But I am not sure if Kojima's ego would allow him to dedicate this much time to a remake.

DaftPunk
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Any idea on who is the dude with scared face from the trailer ?

ps.Watching this thread makes me sad panda,because MGS is evolving with each title,on other hand SC is downgrading with every new installment..its like why o why dear lord stop it pleasee buhhuuh :'(..

Sketch
04-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Actually, the two PSP games cover it pretty well. Portable Ops is him becoming disillusioned with The Patriots, Peace Walker is him making Outer Heaven..

Yeah, but Outer Heaven and the end of Peace Walker still show him as a pretty 'good' guy, whereas in Metal Gear, he's willing to blow up the entire place to kill himself and Snake. I think the foundations are definitely in place for him to become who he is in MG1, but there still needs to be a defining moment that sends him over the edge.

gundato
04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Haven't watched the trailer yet (been busy, want to minimize hype time) but MGS basically followed the same pattern as SC (Well, the opposite, but whatever).

MGS1 was a clunky game where you were pretty much boned if an alarm went off, even pretty late in the game. Yes, you could raise some hell with the FAMAS, but the enemies still had the advantage.
MGS2 began to make the player an equal, if not superior. As long as you avoid getting caught in the "Room clearing" animation, you can drop the bad guys pretty easily.
MGS3 regressed in some ways (Stealth was a lot harder) but increased Snake's lethality drastically.
Outside of the last area of MGS4, I never saw a particular need for stealth. I was stealthy because it was fun and tense, not because Old Snake might get hurt otherwise.

Same with Splinter Cell. Sam was given more combat abilities as time passed until he became a crack monkey with super-headshot powers. Is Conviction "Splinter Cell 4"? No. But it is still pretty damned fun.

Yeah, but Outer Heaven and the end of Peace Walker still show him as a pretty 'good' guy, whereas in Metal Gear, he's willing to blow up the entire place to kill himself and Snake. I think the foundations are definitely in place for him to become who he is in MG1, but there still needs to be a defining moment that sends him over the edge.

That's one of those things that get into a grey area because the entire story was changed for MGS1. My personal interpretation is that Big Boss was backed into a corner. Peace Walker establishes that they are going to survive through Mutually Assured Destruction ("We got nukes, we don't mind using them. Also, even our lowliest grunt can break into your prime minster's house and rape his dog. Don't screw with us") and Zero (after somehow convincing Big Boss to work for Foxhound again) manipulated events to force him to act.

I definitely agree that I would love to see what made Big Boss return to Foxhound (knowing it was Zero's personal army), but I think that mentally he is in the "right" state as of the end of Peace Walker.

Sketch
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
He's definitely leaning that way, but there's still twenty or so years before he does. So there's definitely room for explanation!

Geen
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Eh, I'd settle for a port of MGS3, but this is fine too as long as it still has the awesome survival elements and throwing snakes at people.

DaftPunk
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Eh, I'd settle for a port of MGS3, but this is fine too as long as it still has the awesome survival elements and throwing snakes at people.

I don't believe in that lol,look at MGS4,no survival elements,no trowing snakes at people..

ado
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Totally forgot about this thread,overall i went through plot of MGS and its kinda messy lol,its like Kojima wanted to have twist after twist,even if the quality of twists were rather poor lol.. He should direct anime or something,its perfect for the job.

Funny you should say that because Metal Gear is basically designed as a very complex anime in videogame format.

Concerning the twisty plot, well, it's just plot. In my view it's secondary to the thematic elements of the series which questions the concepts of loyalty, duty, patriotism, the meaning and nature of war and what it means to be a soldier. It also has a strong anti-war current running through it that it can actually support; because the game actively encourages you to avoid conflict, not engage it.

Apart from the great characters and the cool cyberpunk setting, my favorite parts of the series are the really weird and bizarre moments that many people seem to bash without much reason. The series completely embraces it's videogame nature and it actively interacts with the player not only in gameplay but also in the narrative and design. It's aware of the player as an entity within the videogame space, and does not try to ignore him like every other game out there, but instead it actually goes out of it's way to acknowledge the player. It gives the game a great meta feel that I wish more games would embrace.

Through this acknowledgement of the player the game becomes a much more personal experience, and in a very counter-intuitive way a more engaging one as well. You'd think that braking the 4th wall would shatter the illusion the game is trying to create, but here that is not the case. In fact it enhances it because you are actively interacting with the game, and the game is interacting with you. This is why braking the 4th wall completely shatters the illusion of a movie, because a movie cannot respond back like a game can.

So it doesn't matter how broken the plot is if you're actually engaged with it and are paying attention, and that is something that MGS achieves better than any other game in the storytelling realm.

Dominic Tarason
05-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I don't believe in that lol,look at MGS4,no survival elements,no trowing snakes at people..

MGS4 has a whole boatload of crazy features of its own. There's no injury/food management stuff, but there's psychological health, and Snake's ageing body to cope with. If you sneak around crouched too long, his back will get stiff and have trouble getting back up, and killing enemies actually sickens him and lowers his stats.

Did you know that if you play music on the in-game iPod, it'll have an effect on any enemy you get in a choke-hold? Some of it really useful, too. That's the kinda stuff that MGS is built on. From MGS2 onwards, there's always been layer upon layer of quirky gameplay mechanics that you don't need to use, but you'll have a lot more fun if you do.

Bleekill
05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm really really excited for this. I spent a ton of time as a kid playing through the MGS series on ps1/2. The family PC was kind of limited for me in the game area because of time constraints and sharing but my PS2 was always there. I remember playing through MGS2 and 3 mulitiple times. I need to finish MGS4 which I've played about 10 hours of at my friends place. It's easily one of my favorite series. Open world is going to make this series even better.

squirrel
06-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Maybe Mr. Hideo Kojima is so obsessed of being a film director to direct and produce a great movie, but the trailer is very very obviously a show off of his Fox engine. Mr. Kojima had raise the concern about how backward the Japanese game industry is -- technologically!! No, not only the gameplay, the artwork, the game concept (which are already obsolete themselves compared to new gaming concepts from the west) -- but technology!! He commented that Japanese have been unable to develop one single game engine which is competitive against many western game engines, either for use in a single game or for licensing. That's how stubborn Japanese are: while they highly appreciate hardware technology which they excels in, they neglect the essence of software technology.

If you would recall, in early trailers of MGS2, there was a scene in which Snake had to race through imminent flooding to escape a sinking tanker (I think you all know what tanker it was), the gameplay scene that never was implemented in the finalized version of MGS2. Mr. Kojima cut it out because he simply did not have the technology to have it run on Playstation, both a hardware and software problem.

This is the hi-res version of the trailer distributed by IGN, supposed to be the same as posted by Woundedbum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDZDgyrTLc

BTW nonlinear story is never a prerequisite of sandbox gameplay. You can have a walkthrough, cut it into different sandboxes, and connect them with one linear story. That's exactly the style of Metal Gear Solid (as least aside of MGS4, I dont have Playstation 4 so I cannot play this great work).

And how can they not release this great game on PC? I believed that Kojima was reluctant to bring new Metal Gear to other platforms solely because of the very poor sales of MGS2's non-Playstation version. But how can he blame us?! MGS2's non-Playstation versions were released one year after its Playstation version!!

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I thought it was already confirmed to come out on pc :o

Also i just find this on neogaf,"@kazamatsuri 12:08 AM
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes demo was truly amazing, running on a PC at current-gen specs. Wow. #mg25"

ado
06-09-2012, 12:41 PM
And how can they not release this great game on PC? I believed that Kojima was reluctant to bring new Metal Gear to other platforms solely because of the very poor sales of MGS2's non-Playstation version. But how can he blame us?! MGS2's non-Playstation versions were released one year after its Playstation version!!

The PC port of MGS2 is one of the worst ports I know of. I don't think that sales have much to do with it but it's more the Dark Souls issue in the way that Japanese have no PC gaming market and they exclusively make games for consoles. And as far as consoles go there's only Sony and Nintendo, and they're very precious about their exclusives. The Japanese started taking development for the Xbox seriously only with this generation.

But in the case of MGS4, it could have never been brought to the 360 and a PC release would have been impractical as well because of the game's data-load. The game is so large that it takes almost the full capacity of a dual-layer blu-ray disc (almost 50gb).

But for Ground Zeroes I don't see why there wouldn't be a PC version apart from the already mentioned unfamiliarity with the idea of a PC gaming market on the Japanese side. So maybe if the PC community was vocal enough (like we where with Dark Souls) we'd get a PC version. And if we did it soon enough it might not even end up as a rushed port.

Mohorovicic
06-09-2012, 01:11 PM
I almost fell asleep during the "intro", I bet most of it was CGI, I have no idea who these people and names are, I thought Big Boss was dead, I thought Kojima said he's done with the series three games ago and there isn't a word of this being on the PC.

What is this doing here again?

JackShandy
06-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I've always had a really hard time understanding why metal gear solid is a good game series.

So, Dominic says that it has a lot of optional secret systems, and that's interesting... but Fable 2 let you grow fat if you ate too much, and influence the economy of towns, and marry NPC's, and it was just a hollow mish-mash of uninteresting systems clinging on to the game like barnacles.

Throwing snakes at dudes can't be the core of MGS, can it? If it isn't, what is? The bits I've played have swung wildly around between thief, COD and Time Crisis, and it was only really any good at being Time Crisis. Is it really the story?

Flint
06-09-2012, 01:32 PM
The gameplay is fairly standard action/stealth fare and nothing too spectacular by itself, but it's the wrapping and the way the games are pulled off that makes them something more special: the insane amount of attention to detail that manifests itself in countless, sometimes very obscure ways of affecting the world and playing the game (MGS3 has to be some sort of a milestone of gaming when it comes to the sheer amount of all sorts of secrets, hidden ways of advancement and dev-team-thinks-of-everything moments that range from brief bonus giggles to genuine gameplay elements that really alter how certain encounters play out), and the humongously OTT plot that is incredibly cheesy and beyond belief but which openly acknowledges all that and runs with it tongue in cheek, yet at the same time taking itself seriously enough to somehow feel genuinely affecting and engaging to anyone who does find themselves investing into the characters (and the way MGS4 pulls every single thread ever in the whole history of the series together is rather a marvel). The games are essentially greater than the sum of their parts: ridiculous plot meets an enjoyable enough but nothing too special gameplay, but created by a dev team that is zealously devoted to making every single little thing in the games feel something far grander (and having a blast while doing so).

I'm not a huge fan of the series myself largely because I never really owned any of the consoles they were released on and have only ever played MGS1 myself (seen all the others played through tho, several times), but it's a series that's crafted with genuine love and attention to detail and I'm not surprised a lot of people have immense love for the games. Sometimes I wish I was one because the sheer amount of detail that goes into some of the games is rather awe-worthy.

Mohorovicic
06-09-2012, 01:35 PM
the humongously OTT plot that is incredibly cheesy and beyond belief but which openly acknowledges all that and runs with it tongue in cheek, yet at the same time taking itself seriously enough to somehow feel genuinely affecting and engaging to anyone who does find themselves investing into the characters

So many words, so little sense. Is this one of these "fanboy" things?

Flint
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM
So many words, so little sense. Is this one of these "fanboy" things?
I'll reword it for you, you adorable snarky little sausage you. The plot for the games is very cheesy and very over-the-top, but the games never pretend it is anything else - no such thing as fourth wall exists, the writing/cutscene directing actively underlines the more ridiculous parts and the games frequently take the mick out of their own conventions. But at the same time, they build drama effectively enough that the occasional parts where they do want to show something more serious actually have an emotional impact despite all the ridiculousness inherent in the context (provided, of course, that you're the sort of gamer that can invest himself in game characters/stories).

Not a fanboy either, as the edit for the previous post clearly states.

gundato
06-09-2012, 01:52 PM
A good example might be something like Red VS Blue or The Venture Brothers. First and foremost, both of those are comedies. They contain a LOT of references and they lampshade almost everything. And both of them have some really "mature" themes at times. But they also manage to tell rather compelling and interesting stories (seriously, check out the recent seasons of RvB...). They are the kind of shows that make you laugh as you are thinking "holy crap... that is messed up... Sad now"

MGS is sort of like that. It definitely knows it is over the top and it is VERY "meta". But it still tells a compelling story at the same time. Its over he top, but that doesn't detract from it.

Mohorovicic
06-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I'll reword it for you, you adorable snarky little sausage you. The plot for the games is very cheesy and very over-the-top, but the games never pretend it is anything else

Wrong.*

no such thing as fourth wall exists

Also wrong.*

the writing/cutscene directing actively underlines the more ridiculous parts

In nonfanboyland we simply say "Writing and directing in MGS is garbage" without coming up with ridiculous backwards logic to try and explain it.

and the games frequently take the mick out of their own conventions.

Still wrong.*

But at the same time, they build drama effectively enough that the occasional parts where they do want to show something more serious actually have an emotional impact despite all the ridiculousness inherent in the context (provided, of course, that you're the sort of gamer that can invest himself in game characters/stories).

Past wrong, into contradiction - so it's totally tongue in cheek cheesy and fourth wall breaking, except when it's not, and if you "invest yourself" in the tongue in cheek cheesy and fourth wall breaking characters, you are rewarded with sappy drama.

Not a fanboy either

Apologist then?

* - you are welcome to provide examples to the contrary. I've played or otherwise seen the four main games.

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Gameplay footage you all saw was recorded from PC,it was played on PC so..I think its obvious,i mean i know devs do this all time with console games but they are all quiet,here they didn't hide that..Maybe because its on pc as well. I mean that kind of graphics are not possible on consoles,not even slightly.

Sketch
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Wrong.*
-snip-

I don't get this, is the just an attempt to get a rise from someone? You clearly have a very negative view of the game and whatever you're entitled to it, but you're not even attempting to have a discussion you're just being a bit of a nob and negative, attacking someone's opinion with overly aggressive silliness. You clearly will not be swayed on your opinion, so what's the point? Oh right of course, to wind someone up, well good on you.

ANYWAY

Yes Daft, the gameplay was on PC, and as far as I know Kojima has expressed an interest on bringing the FOX Engine to platforms other than consoles, so I'd be very surprised if this didn't end up on PC.

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Brofist..!

I am dying for another stealth game,even as i won't understand the story haha i don't care,just give me option to sneak behind people :p

deano2099
06-09-2012, 05:44 PM
* - you are welcome to provide examples to the contrary. I've played or otherwise seen the four main games.

So what do you like about the games then that kept you playing through all 4?

Shooop
06-09-2012, 06:14 PM
So what do you like about the games then that kept you playing through all 4?

Obviously he's a fanboy.

http://inception.davepedu.com/

gundato
06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Yeah. Probably best to just ignore moh at this point. He is trolling for a flamewar or something (not like we don't have enough of those :p).

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Fuck the negative commenters..

I hope they kept the composer from previous games,because music is really something special :D

Wednesday
06-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Fuck the negative commenters..

Because disliking something is not allowed.

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Because disliking something is not allowed.

Actually no,its okay but if you dislike MGS there is no reason to come here and spam the thread with your hateful comments towards MGS franchise,i mean keep it for yourself.

Wednesday
06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
This is a discussion forum. You opened an issue for discussion.

So, yeah...

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Yes its discussion forum,but this thread serves purely for discussion of new Metal Gear Solid game,but about what you hate about the series.. Its really unnecessary coming here and trolling.

gundato
06-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I actually don't mind people who dislike the series. If only because it regularly gives me an excuse to post walls of text on how they quite probably missed something. It is easy to get distracted, especially with MGS4.

What I do take issue with are people who are clearly just in a thread to troll and start fights. Wednesday, go read mohor's posts and tell me that he was being even REMOTELY constructive or that he appeared to even be interested in a discussion beyond "You are stupid and wrong, I am right".

Fun story: I was playing MGS4 with my sister (I shot people, she watched). We got to the final boss fight and were pretty much both constantly saying "Holy crap, this is awesome". Then I beat the crap out of <REDACTED> and thought to myself "Hmm, I kind of have to pee. Ah well, the game is over, I'll watch the end credits and then go"
... I am pretty sure there was an hour of credits. They were all awesome, but jesus christ... I hadn't had to pee that badly since THe Dark Knight (kind of had to pee when Gordon got shot. The final scene had a yellow tint...).
For future reference: MGS4 pauses the cutscene if you hit the PS button. Take advantage of that.

hamster
07-09-2012, 04:21 AM
I played MGS 2 and 3 and enjoyed them both. The 2nd one had a terrible, awfully convoluted plot and went nowhere. The third one had a more traditional plot that was moving at times but the one thing that really stops people from taking it seriously are the damn bosses. I mean a bee-man? And that invisible spider freakazoid? I preferred the more human bosses in mgs 1 (not that i've actually played the game - i ought to though, i have the CD on PC, I think) and MGS 3 (such as the the fire dude, big boss, sniper and electric boxer).

unruly
07-09-2012, 05:01 AM
The 2nd one had a terrible, awfully convoluted plot and went nowhere.

These people are all real. But they're not. They're all AI constructs, but they're not. You're a tool with no free will. But you have free will. Except when we tell you that you don't. And everything is because I'm your "dad" and I force-fed you a lot of hallucinogens. But you don't know if that's true or not. Everything in this game is both a lie and true because you're half-crazy and don't know it yet. Except that you do. And everything is ruined because the guy we want you to be showed up himself. But it isn't, because it was all a part of the plan to turn you into a clone of him! Now look over there. You're now naked. Look back. I'm Dr. Octopus. Look over there again. Now we're fighting a bunch of giant robots inside one even bigger robot. Look back. Now we're fist-fighting in the middle of Manhattan. Don't you wish your man could smell like me?

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's mostly what I took away from the game when I first played it(and still do somewhat to this day). And while it was years before those Old Spice commercials came out, I think that theme generally fits with what happened in MGS2.

If you're not familiar with the Old Spice commercials I'm talking about, click here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE)

Mohorovicic
07-09-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't get this, is the just an attempt to get a rise from someone? You clearly have a very negative view of the game and whatever you're entitled to it, but you're not even attempting to have a discussion you're just being a bit of a nob and negative, attacking someone's opinion with overly aggressive silliness. You clearly will not be swayed on your opinion, so what's the point? Oh right of course, to wind someone up, well good on you.

Fine, I will drop the usual dick and ass game and say it plainly: Flint is coming up with nonsense to try and cover up what is plain incompetence. I don't know if he's a fanboy or it's simply nature of some people to view everything with rose-tinted glasses but it doesn't really matter. One of biggest faults of MGS series was always mixing serious presentation(i.e. MGS3 staff included six people whose only role was to make the weapons accurate and realistic and a military advisor) and tone with anime nonsense like people fighting with bees or wheelchairs in the jungle, or hell, even the titular giant mechs. Well that and the magical talking heads time stopping Codex. And hovewer much you can whine about MGS2/4 ruining everything, these elements are present in all MGS games.

So yeah, you can try and come up with excuses like "Kojima lovies to mess up with the audience" or "fourth wall doesn't exist" or "mocking your own conventions" despite there being no evisence to any of these, neither in the games nor in any of interviews or making-ofs. Or you can just be a realist and admit that MGS is not a perfect series where everything flawlessly comes together - that it can be stupidly cheesy, overly dramatic, badly written(traits shared by GREAT FUCKING MANY of japanese games) and extremely obtuse(mostly Codex) because Kojima is, in fact, not a genius and videogames are, in fact, not movies.

Flint
07-09-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm not saying MGS is a flawless series (far from it), that Kojima is a godly genius (I like what he does but he's a designer among many) and I don't think videogames are movies (what that has to do with anything said here, I've zero idea). Nor am I a fanboy, as you so try to say I am - it is quite possible to be interested in things and enjoy them without being a fanatic about it, as I'm sure you understand. Everything I've said is pretty clearly laid out in the games and in the surrounding material, from the constant breaking of the fourth wall (which is so obvious it's really silly to even try to argue it doesn't exist, unless you don't know what the concept means) and the self-referentialism to the merging of serious and silly in the plot and Kojima's occasional intentions to mess around with the player both in-game and in a more meta fashion (documented eg in the MGS2 development journal). Whether they're executed well or if the way the game presents them is entertaining to the player is a completely different matter - my thoughts on the matter line on the positive, yours on the negative. Simple, really.

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Mohorovic,jeez men,just cheel out :D

Anyone saw extended cut demo showcase,in which they show more footage of gameplay,i'm watching it right now.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/02/pax-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-demo-impressions

You can use helicopter for switching between missions,countries and such,its open world stealth game,sounds good.

gundato
07-09-2012, 01:55 PM
These people are all real. But they're not. They're all AI constructs, but they're not. You're a tool with no free will. But you have free will. Except when we tell you that you don't. And everything is because I'm your "dad" and I force-fed you a lot of hallucinogens. But you don't know if that's true or not. Everything in this game is both a lie and true because you're half-crazy and don't know it yet. Except that you do. And everything is ruined because the guy we want you to be showed up himself. But it isn't, because it was all a part of the plan to turn you into a clone of him! Now look over there. You're now naked. Look back. I'm Dr. Octopus. Look over there again. Now we're fighting a bunch of giant robots inside one even bigger robot. Look back. Now we're fist-fighting in the middle of Manhattan. Don't you wish your man could smell like me?

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's mostly what I took away from the game when I first played it(and still do somewhat to this day). And while it was years before those Old Spice commercials came out, I think that theme generally fits with what happened in MGS2.

If you're not familiar with the Old Spice commercials I'm talking about, click here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE)

MGS2

Raiden is real.
Everyone on Big Shell was real.

Raiden was Solidus's protege during the war. That messed him up something fierce.
Solidus was, at one point, a Patriot. He saw how effective Solid Snake was and decided to push for Raiden to be part of the program to make a new Solid Snake.

The point of Big Shell:

Original (probably): See if exposing a soldier to similar activities as Solid Snake will make a new Solid Snake
Corrupted by Solidus (or so he thought): Obtain information on where the Patriots are
Corrupted by Solid Snake (or so he tried): Obtain information on WHAT the Patriots are, and stop Arsenal Gear
The Real Plan by Ocelot (or so the Patriots thought :p): See if exposing a soldier to similar activities as Solid Snake will make a new Solid Snake while simultaneously cleaning house and causing misdirection. Also, while not touched on due to 9-11, manufacture a terrorist incident to further militarize the world (Leading to MGS4's War Economy) and encourage the use of SOPA. Err, GW.
The Real Plan by Ocelot: Obtain information on where Zero and the other Patriots are. More importantly, obtain information on where Big Boss is. Also, screw with everybody by making them think he is controlled by Liquid

As for who was real, who wasn't, and what wasn't:
The Colonel was an AI, plain and simple. Probably GW
Rose is a tricky question. There was definitely a real Rose that had a physical relationship with Raiden. The Rose who told Raiden she was a Patriot operative may or may not have been the AI (MGS4 makes this plot point VERY confusing, I can rant about my thoughts on that one if anyone cares :p)

MGS2 suffered from three key problems.
One: People got pissed that they weren't Snake (which, ironically, was the theme of the game. You are NOT Solid Snake. You are just some loser who is trying to live out a fantasy of being Snake. The world is much more complicated than that). So they didn't want to listen to Raiden
Two: Look at the point of Big Shell. It got VERY confusing VERY fast because of all the different players who were playing each other (and Ocelot was a wild card until the end of MGS4)
Three: A big chunk of the cinematics were cropped out. There was supposed to be a cutscene (possibly gameplay) of Arsenal Gear crashing into Manhattan and Raiden and Solidus leaping off onto the courthouse. 9-11 made "let's destroy New York" a bad move, but it was too late to change everything else. But you can definitely see the remains of the wreckage.

I strongly suggest going and replaying MGS2 with an open mind (and preferably an understanding of the plot outline). It isn't the best in the series (that is either 3 or 4), but it definitely doesn't deserve the hate it got. I was confused the first time I played it. Then I replayed it a few times when I was a kid (before MGS3) and it mostly made sense. Then I played MGS4 and realized Ocelot was a magnificent bastard :p

Dominic Tarason
07-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I'll have to dig up the article sometime, but Hideo Kojima actually cited several pieces of post-modern surrealist literature as key inspirations for MGS2. If you get angry about fighting a vampire in the middle of a sci-fi spy thriller, while the game casually pokes at the fourth wall, then you're probably missing the joke. It's meant to be a headfuck and leave you confused. Every character seems to have their own interpretation of what's going on, and most of them are being lied to.

It's pretty deconstructionist if you think about it.

Alex Bakke
07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
One of my favourite bits of MGS2 that confused a lot of people was near the end, where Raiden and Snake team up. You're playing as Raiden with the HF Sword, and 'FISSION MAILED' keeps coming up on the screen. It's breaking the fourth wall yet managing to hint that even the *console* is against you, trying to stop you. Amazing stuff.

ado
07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I didn't play MGS2 in a long time, but as I remember the Raiden segment was all a simulation, until he realized it and got out of it near the end of the game (the part where he runs around naked). The people in the simulation where part controlled by AI part Raiden's own projections, like the bizarre conversations he has with Rose.

But I might be remembering it wrong... I should replay this series again since they added trophies to MGS4 and Revengence is just a few months away as well. Reasons enough to do so, I guess.

gundato
07-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I view most of the wonky-post capture stuff as being the nanomachines messing with your head (like Psycho Mantis and Screaming Mantis).

Assuming that was really Solid Snake during MGS2 (And since EE is dead and Sunny is around, it probably was), Raiden really was running around like a jackass on Big Shell and was betrayed (and used as bait) by Solid Snake and Otacon.

So up until then, the game is definitely happening as perceived (now, intent is another thing altogether, and anything The Colonel says should be taken with a grain of salt). There really were bombs there and you really watched EE die. It is just that the entire scenario was a training exercise of sorts.
From capture on, it is anyone's guess as to which parts were real and which parts weren't. There are actually some very good arguments that all of MGS4 was a simulated scenario in Raiden's head.

ado
07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
There are actually some very good arguments that all of MGS4 was a simulated scenario in Raiden's head.

Oh I never heard this one before. Do elaborate.

gundato
07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh I never heard this one before. Do elaborate.
squee!!!!

Think about MGS4.

Snake seemed to have no understanding of "the war economy" and what not. Otacon and everyone else was explaining everything to him.
- That makes sense from a video game and storytelling standpoint. But Snake is a really smart guy (he kept citing political policy and philosophy in previous games) and he has been living through this. Why wouldn't he know this?

Raiden was basically an inhuman NPC with no personality
- Okay, that is kind of Raiden. But the whole point of MGS2 was that he found some form of peace and wasn't going to live in anyone' shadow anymore. Maybe the rescuing of Sunny messed him up again, but it seems strange that he would have such a small role.

"Raikov" was a butt-monkey (hee hee) in MGS3
- Further conditioning that "Jack" was bad and that "Snake" was good.

Snake "always knew CQC but didn't want to use it because it was the tool of a traitor" but after the details of Big Boss's life were revealed, he didn't mind anymore.
- Do you honestly think the Patriots would let Big Boss's life (MGS3 and Peace Walker) be revealed? And do you see a combat pragmatist like Snake refusing to use such a useful tool in the past?

The game over screen says "Mission Failed"
- That is usually a sign of a simulation, rather than "reality" (where it says "Game Over")

Rose.
- She specifically said she dyed her hair and wore contacts in MGS2, but she still looks the same. That could be nanomachines or just a look she likes, but it is a red flag
- She is married to Campbell. MGS2 heavily implied Raiden never met Colonel Campbell, but here he is willing to sacrifice his relationship with Meryl (and most of his friends, probably) just to protect a stranger's kid? Except... The Patriots controlled Meryl (Rat PT 01 == PatR10T). And Campbell never said he was doing it to protect Jack the Douchey Sailor. What if The Patriots and Rose were manipulating Campbell and Raiden?
- Why would The Patriots let her go after Big Shell? Why would they let her be so involved?

MGS4 was "too" epic.
- MGS4 was a non-stop boner of explodey awesomeness. Moreso than any MG before it. And it was also VERY tightly scripted (there was no real downtime and they always knew exactly where to go). Almost like it was a scenario

MGS4 was "too" over the top
- Do I even need to explain that? :p

All of that lends strong support to MGS4 (and MGS3) being simulations run in Raiden's mind. But Revengeance being set after MGS4 basically disproves the theory. Still a fun one though.

ado
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
That's an interesting interpretation of the events of MGS4, but it does seem a bit too far fetched. But then again this is fucking MGS, the series that takes far fetched and plays badminton with it.

Weirdly, this reminded me of the appendix of Alan More's "From Hell", where he basically says that all these "ripperologists" took the events surrounding the Whitchapel murders and created this morbid super-reality and conspiracy around it, just in order to fill in the blanks and rationalize everything. Moore happily admits to contributing to the phenomenon mind you, and states it's an easy trap to fall in to.

My point is that I often see MGS fans, including myself, dabble in similar territory (like this MGS4 theory) and I am amazed that there's a game out there that actually inspires people to do so. I guess Half-Life would be another one.

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Holy mother of god this shit is confusing,i really need to get these games and play them. Whats with ps2 emulation now,can you emulate games now if you have the right hardware,because i could buy MGS3 for ps2 and play the game on my pc with xbox360 pad,of course all this after i go through MGS1/2..Maybe for fourth i could watch youtube walkthough or something lol.

gundato
07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, if you have a PS3 (I think XBOX too?) you can get the HD Re-Release that contains MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker (no MGS1). I grabbed that since my PS2 was starting to draw those circles of death on discs and the MGS3 disc was basically full. So it didn't end well when I went to replay it 2 or 3 years ago...

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Nah mate,only console i owned was PSP back in 2005.. I'll get MGS3,it must be quite cheap by now,and i'll emulate it when i get new computer in few months. I don't think Ground Zeores will release any time soon,so i'll have time to complete all three MGS games before that,and watch fourth on internet. My master plan is perfect!

Shooop
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Your best bet may be to just watch videos DaftPunk. I liked some of the games because they throw so many different things at me like a mech vs. mech fight in the 4th but it's 90% story. And it's irritating to say the least that the games give you an entire arsenal but ask you to never use it.

Drake Sigar
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Holy mother of god this shit is confusing
Revolver Ocelot - what's his motivation and who is he working for? You could write a massive essay on that alone, and he's only one character. Sometimes I don't think even the hardcore fans know what's going on. The Metal Gear Solid franchise is either a perfectly woven masterpiece which will baffle our best scholars for years to come, or the demented ravings of a lunatic.

I guess it can be both.

Shooop
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Revolver Ocelot - what's his motivation and who is he working for? You could write a massive essay on that alone, and he's only one character. Sometimes I don't think even the hardcore fans know what's going on. The Metal Gear Solid franchise is either a perfectly woven masterpiece which will baffle our best scholars for years to come, or the demented ravings of a lunatic.

I guess it can be both.
It seemed pretty simple when it was all explained at the very end of 4. Probably because Kojimia keeps wanting to stop making MGS games but no one will let him. The problem is there were just so many other goddamn twists up until that point everyone was expecting another twist - which they all got when Big Boss appeared to explain everything.

The story has more twists than a neurotic pretzel. And that made the impact of any twist, no matter how good, less and less effective.

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Your best bet may be to just watch videos DaftPunk. I liked some of the games because they throw so many different things at me like a mech vs. mech fight in the 4th but it's 90% story. And it's irritating to say the least that the games give you an entire arsenal but ask you to never use it.

I'll sure do that for MGS 4,because i don't intend to buy PS3 just because of one game lol.. Otherwise i'll just get first three for pc,i mean first two..third one i found in store near me for only 10 euros! :D Now i just need computer to run emulated MGS3..few months more,few months.. hah

Sketch
07-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Which version of MGS3 is it? You really want Subsistence.

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
The version is "Snake Eater",whats are the differences ?

Edit. Just found Subsistence for 2 euros more lol.. woot woot ?

Sketch
07-09-2012, 07:25 PM
You really should get that, it comes with full camera control instead of a set camera, which makes it SO much better. Also comes with Metal Gear 1 and 2 (not Solid 1 and 2, the originals).

And other stuff too.

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Okey men,thanks for info. I'll start playing first MGS today,previous time i came to first fight with that ninja dude in office,but after that my computer died on me,so i will need to install the disc again..argh :D

unruly
07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
MGS2 explanation that goes into detail

If you'd notice, that pretty much fits exactly what I was saying. Except that I was saying it in a certain, dumbed down and exaggerated, way for minor comedic effect. As it is, MGS2 has actually got a soft place in my heart because of how it was so cracked-out crazy and didn't really make much sense until you played through it a few times. It took some time to get that place though, because the initial rage over being given Snake for the first 10 minutes of the game before being tossed to Raiden was really strong. It was a total dick move to taunt us like that, IMO.

Wednesday
07-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I actually don't mind people who dislike the series. If only because it regularly gives me an excuse to post walls of text on how they quite probably missed something. It is easy to get distracted, especially with MGS4.

What I do take issue with are people who are clearly just in a thread to troll and start fights. Wednesday, go read mohor's posts and tell me that he was being even REMOTELY constructive or that he appeared to even be interested in a discussion beyond "You are stupid and wrong, I am right".

Not really here to defend anyone, but how is "fook haterz" any less vulgar?

As to the rest of your post, I think accusing people of "missing" something is likely to drive a lot of people (like myself) into a rage. I've always found MSGs narrative to be absolutely abysmal. MSG4 looked so promising, but by the third "man pooing himself" scene I was well on my way to despair.

Mohorovicic
08-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Everything I've said is pretty clearly laid out in the games and in the surrounding material, from the constant breaking of the fourth wall (which is so obvious it's really silly to even try to argue it doesn't exist, unless you don't know what the concept means) and the self-referentialism to the merging of serious and silly in the plot and Kojima's occasional intentions to mess around with the player both in-game and in a more meta fashion (documented eg in the MGS2 development journal). Whether they're executed well or if the way the game presents them is entertaining to the player is a completely different matter - my thoughts on the matter line on the positive, yours on the negative. Simple, really.

If examples of breaking the fourth wall in MGS are so obvious, again - you're welcome to provide them.

I mean it's obvious in MGS2, because main plots of the game revolve around making the player think he's playing MGS again and at the endgame the game throws in the towel alltogether, but that's hardly indicative of the entire series.

Sketch
08-09-2012, 10:52 AM
What about the scene in MGS1 where Mantis reads your memory card, and disables your tv? And makes the controller vibrate. Or in MGS4 where Otacon asks you to change disc? Happens all the time.

gundato
08-09-2012, 02:19 PM
And in MGS3 where you can kill a boss by not playing a game for a week. Or recover from wounds by taking a break from the game. And Para-Medic tells you about the latter (I think Zero warns you about the former?).

DaftPunk
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Wait,you need to wait exactly a week before that old men on wheelchair dies o.O Why not shooting him earlier in one scene,as i recall i read somwhere that you can do that if you don't want to fight him.

byteCrunch
08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I still think it is a bit disingenuous/misleading to console gamers that developers keep demoing their games running on a PC, since the game won't look anywhere near as good, I would go as far to say even on next-gen hardware.

Otherwise looking forward to it if it comes out on PC, only ever played MGS4 and Peace Walker, couldn't care less about the story, I just enjoyed the stealth gameplay, given that I beat MGS4 about 5 times.

Hypernetic
08-09-2012, 05:11 PM
I still think it is a bit disingenuous/misleading to console gamers that developers keep demoing their games running on a PC, since the game won't look anywhere near as good, I would go as far to say even on next-gen hardware.

Otherwise looking forward to it if it comes out on PC, only ever played MGS4 and Peace Walker, couldn't care less about the story, I just enjoyed the stealth gameplay, given that I beat MGS4 about 5 times.

lol. Publishers have been releasing touched up screenshots at impossible resolutions for a decade or so, at least showing the game running on actual hardware is more honest.

Hypernetic
08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
If examples of breaking the fourth wall in MGS are so obvious, again - you're welcome to provide them.

I mean it's obvious in MGS2, because main plots of the game revolve around making the player think he's playing MGS again and at the endgame the game throws in the towel alltogether, but that's hardly indicative of the entire series.

Psychomantis telling you what is on your memory card?

There are quite a few more examples I can't remember off the top of my head.

gundato
08-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Wait,you need to wait exactly a week before that old men on wheelchair dies o.O Why not shooting him earlier in one scene,as i recall i read somwhere that you can do that if you don't want to fight him.

There are three ways to kill The End

Snipe him on a new game plus when he is outside the facility (I think you fight The Fury there?)
Take him out during his boss battle
Start his boss battle, save, come back a week later, and laugh because he died of old age.

DaftPunk
08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Start his boss battle, save, come back a week later, and laugh because he died of old age.

Well thats just cheap if you ask me :D

gundato
08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Well thats just cheap if you ask me :D[/COLOR]
I, as well as Zero, agree with you :p

And I finally watched the PAX trailer. Definitely Big Boss based on Paz and Chico being mentioned.

And my vote for "Scarred Guy", assuming he is someone from a previous game, is gonna be Hot Coldman. He looks like him and has a similar "style". Or Zadornov, but mostly because I want Steve Blum again. Although, both of them died from gunshot wounds, and usually you only come back from explosions and fire in the Metal Gear universe.

Hypernetic
08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I, as well as Zero, agree with you :p

And I finally watched the PAX trailer. Definitely Big Boss based on Paz and Chico being mentioned.

And my vote for "Scarred Guy", assuming he is someone from a previous game, is gonna be Hot Coldman. He looks like him and has a similar "style". Or Zadornov, but mostly because I want Steve Blum again. Although, both of them died from gunshot wounds, and usually you only come back from explosions and fire in the Metal Gear universe.

This game is supposed to take place right before Shadow Moses, yeah?

unruly
08-09-2012, 07:20 PM
What about the scene in MGS1 where Mantis reads your memory card, and disables your tv? And makes the controller vibrate. Or in MGS4 where Otacon asks you to change disc? Happens all the time.

Don't forget the fact that the Colonel tells Snake to press X to climb ladders at the very start of MGS1. And it's not just some tutorial window or anything, it's actually a part of the regular dialog.

Sketch
08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
This game is supposed to take place right before Shadow Moses, yeah?

Er no, this is still in the 70/80's. Solid Snake is about 2 in this game. Shadow Moses is 2005.

@Unruly, yeah it's constant they always refer to it as the action button etc.

ado
08-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Er no, this is still in the 70/80's. Solid Snake is about 2 in this game. Shadow Moses is 2005.

I actually think that we may see Snake's and Liquid's inception in this game, considering how the trailer was so obsessively concerned with dualities and opposites. Ground Zeroes as a title might be another indicator to this, instead of only referring to a impact zone of an A-bomb.

It's certainly a thing to consider since Hideo loves to give multiple meanings to every fucking detail in his games. XD

gundato
08-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Well, the project was already underway and the twins were likely born before this game starts. A late game intercepted email from Peace Walker (as in, if you keep doing the hundreds of bonus missions :p) reveals that Miller knew about the project and wanted an update on "the sons" (dated 1974, year of the Peace Walker incident).

Also: Cipher is mentioned. Cipher is an alias of Zero/The Patriots. But that should be obvious from the subtitle :p

My prediction: Solid Snake is why Big Boss worked for Fox. We know John trained David and we know John didn't want David (he told him so right before dying :p). During his quest against Cipher he'll likely have to work alongside them to stop a third threat, and he'll find out more about Les Enfants Terrible, and probably "rescue" Liquid in the process (hence why Liquid was so anti-Patriots). And he'll decide that he has to work with Zero (while trying to stop him) to protect David.

And, in keeping with the theme of the Snakes, Big Boss will obviously fail and David will become Solid Snake and will "kill" him twice in MG1 and MG2.

unruly
08-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Man, Big Boss sure has some super-sci-fi gear for it taking place in the 70's/80's. Especially when you consider that Snake was still using a HAM radio in the 90's for Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland. But here's Big Boss using a friggin hologram-projected map out of something the size of a Walkman. Speaking of, the Walkman-style tape player puts this in the late 70's at the earliest.

DaftPunk
08-09-2012, 10:31 PM
I wanted to write that down,but then if you think this is MGS,it was never realistic.. :P

ps. I have a problem on pc version of MGS1,everything works fine expect the thing with loading the game,it always crash after loading save file,was this common problem,anyone know how to fix this ???

Sparkasaurusmex
10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I wanted to write that down,but then if you think this is MGS,it was never realistic.. :P

ps. I have a problem on pc version of MGS1,everything works fine expect the thing with loading the game,it always crash after loading save file,was this common problem,anyone know how to fix this ???

A shot in the dark, but are the saves located in the game's folder in program files (x86)? Perhaps turn off UAC or install to a location outside of program files

DaftPunk
10-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Kinda strange but now it works when i try to load game ..IT WORKS!! ^-^

ps. How does box work in MGS1,because its not working for me..this is how i do it: I hide in box,guards approaches,get question mark above his head,he say its just the box,and few seconds later he uncover me under and i'm discovered -.-

unruly
10-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Kinda strange but now it works when i try to load game ..IT WORKS!! ^-^

ps. How does box work in MGS1,because its not working for me..this is how i do it: I hide in box,guards approaches,get question mark above his head,he say its just the box,and few seconds later he uncover me under and i'm discovered -.-

The only thing I really remember using the boxes for was switching between the main areas of the base really quickly. Each box has a delivery location printed on it and getting in the back of a truck and then equipping that box will take you there. Box A is the heliport(specifically, the truck where you find the SOCOM pistol at the start), Box B is the nuclear warhead storage facility, and Box C takes you to the field just outside the Metal Gear bunker(where you fight Sniper Wolf). I may be wrong about which box takes you where, but they should have their destination listed in the item description as "It has X printed on it" or something similar to that.

Though if I'm remembering right, to get the boxes to work as camouflage you have to be in an area where there are already a fair number of boxes and you have to be near the boxes. For instance, you could use the box to hide in Basement B1 if you were right beside one of the stacks of boxes that were already down there, or if you were in one of the storage rooms down there that had boxes in them. So you couldn't just throw the box on in the middle of a room and expect it to work. Oh, and just to make sure(though I'm sure it's obvious), you have to stay completely still while wearing the box. The slightest movement will render it useless.

gundato
10-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah. The Box itself as a hiding tool is really a memetic mutation as it were (encouraged by the game itself :p).

But beyond that, its what unruly said. Just keep in mind it works even less well in MGS2 and MGS3 (MGS4 actually was pretty good about the box and the drum, but that had the octocamo).

DaftPunk
10-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Damn you box,daaamn! And i was so happy to get zie cardboard box,now its useless !! :(

gundato
11-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah. One of the big trends was "better AI" which sadly led to "Box is much less useful". It still has its moments (I remember surviving a room-clearing squad in 2 and 3 using a box and a corner), but it isn't the hilarity of "Hmm, was that there a moment ago? Oh well... Hmm, was that right behind me a moment ago? Oh well... Hmm, was that in front of me a moment ago? Oh well"

DaftPunk
11-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I got quite immersed in to the game,even if it looks like cow's poo,i mean people don't even have eyes on their faces haha :D

DaftPunk
12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
S: WHO IS THIS ?

DT: DEEPTHROAT..

S: AHA,OK..

Kojima you crazy son of a bitch! :D

squirrel
12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I am so curious about the mech design. Did Konami release any info on the new Metal Gear design? And will there be any mech gameplay this time?

Hypernetic
12-09-2012, 06:48 PM
So speaking of MGS, have you guys ever seen MGS the abridged snakes on youtube? It's so funny.

gundato
12-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I am so curious about the mech design. Did Konami release any info on the new Metal Gear design? And will there be any mech gameplay this time?
Well, MGs are confirmed to have existed since at least Peace Walker (possibly Portable Ops, never got around to playing it). And Big Boss actually has his own Metal Gear at this point (Zeke, I believe). So I would be surprised if there wasn't a mech piloting sequence. Especially considering everyone, man, woman, and Canadian alike creamed themselves when you got to pilot Rex.

ado
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
...Especially considering everyone, man, woman, and Canadian alike creamed themselves when you got to pilot Rex.

I'm still trying to get rid of this boner since that mech fight against Ray in MGS4... Will no one help? For the love of God it's been four years now... Why won't it stop?

unruly
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm still trying to get rid of this boner since that mech fight against Ray in MGS4... Will no one help? For the love of God it's been four years now... Why won't it stop?

Because it was an epically awesome fight, and it proved what everyone has been saying since MGS2 - That Rex really was the better MG. Ray may have been designed to be able to take on Rex in a fight, but it failed in that regard. And it failed terribly, considering that a pretty well pristine Ray got the shit kicked out of it by an already half-destroyed Rex.

On another note, I just recently bought the MGS HD collection over PSN, because I didn't feel like hassling with each of my 3 PS2's to try and figure out which one worked with my copies of MGS2 and MGS3(Each PS2 will DRE for different games, and it sucks). I decided to try out Peace Walker first, because I hadn't played it outside of a short time a few years ago when I tried it on PSP and my hands cramped up. So far I'm liking it, but I'm really, really wishing I could skip the cutscenes. While they look pretty, the pacing of them just makes them seem so freaking tedious. And I didn't mind the cutscenes in MGS4, so that's saying something.

I've only just beat the first boss battle, which was a bit of a pain in the ass because it was almost impossible for me to take out the APC guards without causing the alert. I tried knocking and I tried throwing empty mags, but every time they came in pairs and it wouldn't let me do the multi-person CQC stuff. So I would CQC one of them, and then the second guy would start the alert and make the rest of the fight a bitch and a half. I also tried tranq darting the guy in the top hatch when he popped up, but not being able to switch to a first-person view to use the iron sights and having to guess where my shots would land within the crosshairs meant that I ended up switching to the LAW and smacking him in the face with that because my tranq shots just missed every time.

gundato
12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
To be fair, the only reason Rex won was because Otacon thought it would be cool to make it a street fighter... Seriously, call him. It is hilarious :p

And my understanding is the point of Ray was to be mass produced. So 1on1, Rex has the advantage (although, not according to the DoD specs). But you can probably field 2 or 3 Rays for the price of 1 Rex...

And yeah, Peace Walker really isn't stealth friendly in the slightest when it comes to boss battles.

Tip: Try not to damage the vehicles whenever possible. You want those for your armory.

deano2099
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Decided to play through the lot, so did MGS 1 on PC the other week and did MGS2 from the HD Collection last week... this week it should be MGS3 though finding it a bit off-putting at first. Of course, this is exactly what happened when I got it on PS2 - played through to the end of the first bit then didn't go back to it.

1 and 2 I'd played before though I remembered very little of 2...

Hypernetic
12-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Decided to play through the lot, so did MGS 1 on PC the other week and did MGS2 from the HD Collection last week... this week it should be MGS3 though finding it a bit off-putting at first. Of course, this is exactly what happened when I got it on PS2 - played through to the end of the first bit then didn't go back to it.

1 and 2 I'd played before though I remembered very little of 2...

3 is, by far, the best game in the series. It does start a little slow, but give it a chance. 4 is really good too, but I think the actual gameplay was much better in 3.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Now if you were allowed to actually play 4, it would have been the best. But Kojima really wanted to make movies instead by that time and was actually a bit disgruntled he had to make another game.

I'm completely serious about the second part, Kojimia was not happy about being forced to make another MGS.

gundato
13-09-2012, 02:04 AM
I think 4 had the best gameplay in the sense of all the set pieces. But 3 was the more consistent game. 4's gameplay in between the set pieces lagged a lot, but those set pieces REALLY kicked it up a few hundred notches.

And the "Kojima doesn't want to make Metal Gear" is one of those mysterious things that get blown out of proportion.

Originally, Kojima didn't want to make an MGS2. When pushed, he went into the project and made the meta-clusterfeth of confusion to screw with gamers. And people hated Raiden.
Originally, Kojima wanted MGS2 to be the end of the series CHRONOLOGICALLY. End it on a huge question mark and uncertainty. That is why MGS3 was a prequel. But after figuring out the overall plotline (ie. "What the hell are the Patriots?"), MGS4 became planned to some degree.

People hear "He didn't want to make another" and think it means he is doing it against his will and hates all of us. The former isn't true (the latter maybe :p). It is more like a writer deciding they don't want to go back to a character... until they have a great idea and feel compelled to write another story. An example would be Brent Weeks. He has said, multiple times, that he has no intention of writing more Night Angel books (maybe the occasional short story). But he has also said that if he can think of a worthy plotline (a VERY tall order considering the escalation in the trilogy :p), he'll do it first chance he gets (so probably after his current book series).

And one thing that makes people think Kojima hates MGS is Raiden. By Western Standards, Raiden is a whiney douche who looks like Meg Ryan. Now go watch a few youtubes of japanese cartoons. Notice how Raiden kind of fits in by those standards? :p
Yes, the point of Raiden was to be a viewpoint for the player (and to question/call out the player). But thats it.

Sketch
13-09-2012, 02:33 AM
He wanted to do MGS2, not 3 and 4.

PS, 3 is totally the best in terms of game content. MGS4 though is a great fan service, the gameplay is pretty lovely, there's just not enough of it.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I remember though there was a story that mentioned Kojima picked a specific title when making MGS4 that basically means someone who wants no part in their own project.

I really think the man is tired of working on that series and wants to do something else. And I'd love to see him try other things - he's a very creative mind, he shouldn't be tied down to just one franchise.

deano2099
13-09-2012, 02:32 PM
With regards to MGS4, I was under the impression Kojima didn't want to make it, but he did want it made. Likewise PeaceWalker. He wanted to hand the project on, but when he wasn't confident the team could deliver to the standard of the series, he stuck with it.

squirrel
13-09-2012, 02:47 PM
With regards to MGS4, I was under the impression Kojima didn't want to make it, but he did want it made. Likewise PeaceWalker. He wanted to hand the project on, but when he wasn't confident the team could deliver to the standard of the series, he stuck with it.

Working on only one franchise is definitely not good for his career, and obviously he is well aware of it.

Hypernetic
13-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Working on only one franchise is definitely not good for his career, and obviously he is well aware of it.

WAT?!

How is being the creator of AND the direct, writer, and producer* for one of the most popular game series of all time bad for someone's career? A series that has over 30 entries (includes improved version like subsistence and integral) in it's catalog? Not to mention that he actually has made quite a few a games that aren't metal gear as well.

Kojima makes a fuck ton of money man, his career is already set. He could probably retire if he wanted to.

* (he was not all three on all entries, however he was at least one of the three and usually 2 of the three for every metal gear game)

gundato
13-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah. Kojima is basically God as far as Japan AND most of the world are concerned.

That's why, if he works on an MGS, it is because he WANTS to do an MGS. It is just a matter of finding a story. Maybe there is some coercion with respect to making the story ("Hey, Hideo. We would really like it if you would do another MGS. We'll think about doing your weird egg-cooking simulator, but at least promise us you'll think about how to extend the story a bit first"), but the end result is that he wants to do it.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd still love to see him do something different.

Zone of the Enders was a great series too y'know!

Dominic Tarason
13-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd still love to see him do something different.

Zone of the Enders was a great series too y'know!

The concept art they've been teasing a new ZoE game has been amazing. Traditional medieval japanese art meets giant robot hyper-science.

unruly
14-09-2012, 03:49 AM
Gonna derail the "Did Kojima want to make MGS<insert version here>" discussion to ask something about Peace Walker - It says I can Fulton out a maximum of 100 people per mission, but even with my Fulton being rank 3 I can only pull out 11 people total. I'm only to the point where I beat the Pupa, but it looks like stuff only ranks up to rank 5, and by looking at what the first 2 ranks of Fulton have gotten me I don't think I'll ever have enough to even come close to hitting that limit. Is there some way to get extra Fulton balloons during missions or does the extra capacity shoot up dramatically with ranks 4 and 5? Or is it something to do with my camo or loadout choices?

neema_t
14-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Gonna derail the "Did Kojima want to make MGS<insert version here>" discussion to ask something about Peace Walker - It says I can Fulton out a maximum of 100 people per mission, but even with my Fulton being rank 3 I can only pull out 11 people total. I'm only to the point where I beat the Pupa, but it looks like stuff only ranks up to rank 5, and by looking at what the first 2 ranks of Fulton have gotten me I don't think I'll ever have enough to even come close to hitting that limit. Is there some way to get extra Fulton balloons during missions or does the extra capacity shoot up dramatically with ranks 4 and 5? Or is it something to do with my camo or loadout choices?

Fulton mines, Fulton launcher + Bandana. Go get you those, especially the mines, they're the only way to S the vehicle ops. The most Fulton balloons you can carry is 13 at level 5. If you're on PS3 and need help with any ops my PSN is the same as my name here but you might want to telepathically tell me about it because I don't go on my PS3 all that often these days.

As for Kojima, MGS and all that, I think it's a mix between boredom and trolling, the guy LOVES red herrings and to keep people guessing. He's also been very keen to point out that Ground Zeroes isn't Project Ogre and nor is it MGS5, he said it's a precursor to it so there's at least another MGS in the pipeline that he wants people to know about; that's not something he would do if he wasn't sure that he wanted it to happen or not, which is an odd way of saying what I meant. Hideo knows he's made a huge mark on the gaming industry and that's something to be extremely proud of, I just hope he does actually know when to say enough is enough and has the guts to end Metal Gear once and for all before it becomes a drug-addled, cyborg suit-wearing zombie ninja guy.

Al Jolson
20-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I would kill a man to have the new MGS here in front of me now. I seriously can't wait for this.

SouperSteve0
21-09-2012, 03:52 AM
In my eyes, MGS is like rock and roll.

Back around the Led Zeppelin time period, there was rock, and it was good. I believe the reason it was good is because all of the rockers either quit ahead of the game saying "well I'm too old for this shit" or something of the sort, or they died on their own vomit/OD'd or any combination before they could get old and make bad music.

Now, the music that these old rockers are making, sucks. They didn't learn to quit (or party hard enough) to quit before they start to suck so that they would always be thought of as gods.

MGS needs to choke on it's own vomit after a night of hard drinking before it goes to rehab and starts making shitty post-punk radio friendly crap.

My .02

Bleekill
21-09-2012, 04:07 AM
lol, that makes no fucking sense.

mashakos
21-09-2012, 04:12 AM
MGS needs to choke on it's own vomit after a night of hard drinking before it goes to rehab and starts making shitty post-punk radio friendly crap.

My .02
too late for that, should have happened 8 years ago.

I honestly loved Metal Gear Solid not because it was a masterpiece, but because for the first time since I was 10 I felt excited about what could be possible with the medium. I really did not want a sequel, I was hoping to be wowed by a completely new title from Kojima that took the medium even further. Wasn't disappointed when the sequel was announced, but that feeling of anticipation, that we were on the verge of a new era, it never came back since.

Sketch
27-03-2013, 06:38 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuJ2q3uBYI

Running on PC.

Apparently the game is linear in the beginning, then open world once the tutorial-type section is done.

DaftPunk
27-03-2013, 06:43 PM
PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC aaaaaa PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC a aaa a

Kaira-
27-03-2013, 06:50 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuJ2q3uBYI

Running on PC.

Apparently the game is linear in the beginning, then open world once the tutorial-type section is done.

I noticed that in the end of the trailer there was no mention of PC, though. PS3 and X360 were, though.

Jesus_Phish
27-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Dear god give me MGS on the pc. I missed the last one because I didn't have a ps3 box

Sketch
27-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I noticed that in the end of the trailer there was no mention of PC, though. PS3 and X360 were, though.

Kojima said "this is running on a PC" so I'd find it very odd if they didn't follow up on that, considering the game looks too good for consoles atm.

Makariel
27-03-2013, 07:22 PM
The trailer looks... trippy... but I like... + <3 Garbage

Track
27-03-2013, 08:24 PM
The new game being announced has made me think that maybe I should play this series. Is there actually a way to play the early MGS games now though? Don't think that they have a PC release, and I think that the PS3 re-release is missing the first game or something.

DaftPunk
27-03-2013, 08:38 PM
First two MGS games are on pc,otherwise if you don't want to mess around allot just grab emulator and emualte psx MGS game,it works perfectly fine,plus pc version is the same shit,for second game there is pc version,which works perfectly fine,only problem you might have is with controls..

Thrid one can be emualated with pcx2 and if you have quad core and good gpu you can play it just fine,for others get console or something.

Kaira-
27-03-2013, 08:39 PM
The new game being announced has made me think that maybe I should play this series. Is there actually a way to play the early MGS games now though? Don't think that they have a PC release, and I think that the PS3 re-release is missing the first game or something.

I think the first two Solid games had PC-ports. Other than that your only choices would probably be emulation or playing them on X360/PS3.

gundato
27-03-2013, 09:08 PM

Hd collection contains all canon games up to solid 3 except solid 1. But solid 1 is cheap on the psn

Jesus_Phish
27-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I think I might buy a PS3 just to play MGS4, which I never got to. I loved me some MGS1-3. I think I must've played 2 to completion about 10 times. The amount of style that game oozed despite primarily being set on a tanker and the graphics at the time just astounded me.

gundato
27-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Kojima said "this is running on a PC" so I'd find it very odd if they didn't follow up on that, considering the game looks too good for consoles atm.
I haven't watched the video, but it is very possible that this is running on a PC because the "true" target isn't the current generation, but the next. And Konami/Kojima may be waiting until MS officially announces a new console (so E3) before announcing it is for PS4 and XBOX720.

Would be stupid to outright say "it runs on a PC" but not launch there, but Kojima's native language isn't english (assuming that was english?) and it could very easily just be an awkwardly worded bit. As in "Hey Hideo, how you get the PS3 so sexy?" "Oh, Jimbo, this isn't running on a PS3. It is running on a PC" just more awkwarder since I imagine this was a press release/conference style thing.

I think I might buy a PS3 just to play MGS4, which I never got to. I loved me some MGS1-3. I think I must've played 2 to completion about 10 times. The amount of style that game oozed despite primarily being set on a tanker and the graphics at the time just astounded me.
Honestly, MGS4 and God of War 3 are why I bought my PS3. I have since found LOTS of amazing games for it (I kind of drifted away from consoles after the PS2), but if I could only have those two games: Worth it.

neema_t
28-03-2013, 12:27 AM
I haven't watched the video, but it is very possible that this is running on a PC because the "true" target isn't the current generation, but the next. And Konami/Kojima may be waiting until MS officially announces a new console (so E3) before announcing it is for PS4 and XBOX720.

Would be stupid to outright say "it runs on a PC" but not launch there, but Kojima's native language isn't english (assuming that was english?) and it could very easily just be an awkwardly worded bit. As in "Hey Hideo, how you get the PS3 so sexy?" "Oh, Jimbo, this isn't running on a PS3. It is running on a PC" just more awkwarder since I imagine this was a press release/conference style thing.

Honestly, MGS4 and God of War 3 are why I bought my PS3. I have since found LOTS of amazing games for it (I kind of drifted away from consoles after the PS2), but if I could only have those two games: Worth it.

I'd be really surprised if MGSV does come to PC, pleasantly surprised but still surprised. Metal Gear's controls don't translate well to a keyboard, after all, but then I guess it wouldn't be the first game that pretty much requires a controller. I think your first sentence is probably spot on; they want to show something close to what it'll actually be like on the next consoles and too much is being made of this 'it's running on PC' thing; that's where games are developed, so it makes sense that pre-release video would be shown on PC hardware.

And yeah, my PS3 was hardly used outside of Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo and WipeOut. I prefer to forget about my brief Call of Duty thing. I have no plans to buy a PS4, that is until the week before MGSV launches...

ambing1
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Military tech is about 20 years ahead of what we can see in the demo. Also Big Boss has a very large, very private R&D team at his disposal. Kojima always pushes tech in his games. It's part of what sells the hole world of Metal Gear to people.
This is why i always follow this series.