PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands II or Torchlight II: I can't decide!!

Madzack
02-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Buy now or later?

The thing is I've pre-ordered Borderlands II, but only by paying a deposit at my local game store, which means I have to pay the rest.

And now they've announced Torchlight II for this month?

So now with limited funds left, should I pre-order Torchlight II now or at least next month?

For the rest of you, which of the two games would go you for?

sabrage
02-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Which one are your friends buying?

Madzack
02-09-2012, 05:28 AM
If I have friends. There are less than a few Borderlands or Torchlight fans here in Malaysia.

Brit89
02-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Seeing as I still have yet to even get past the start of the first Torchlight, which I bought off the Steam Sale (I know, I could have gotten T2 and got T1 free, but funds were at its limit by then)... I'd go with Borderlands 2. Then again, I'm not planning on buying any games this month until I've finished every game I bought off the Steam Summer Sale. With Guild Wars 2 taking most of my gaming time, and final year of Uni.... yeah; probably not gonna happen.

sabrage
02-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Based off my experience with the original, Borderlands is an abysmal single-player game. Whether they improve on that or not in the sequel, I have no idea.

AgamemnonV1
02-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Based off my experience with the original, Borderlands is an abysmal single-player game. Whether they improve on that or not in the sequel, I have no idea.
Pretty much this. It is, unfortunately, just "one of those games" that really isn't fun if you're not playing it with other folks. Plus I generally hate games where the velocity of a sniper round travels slower than a snail.

Mohorovicic
02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Oh please. Borderlands' netcode was beyond bad. You could only play it with people if you hosted, and even then it wasn't much fun because the game was far too slow to keep up a group's interest for long.

sabrage
02-09-2012, 06:47 AM
I only played Borderlands multiplayer in split-screen. (Which had issues of its own, but it was certainly better than playing alone)

Tei
02-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Torchlight 2 will be (is) a diablo clone even more than Borderlands 2. So for the sake of variety I say makes the more sense to start with Borderlands2, then move to Torchlight 2. But what I am going to do is both.

Both are games very dependant in groups. While both probably are fun alone, excel in coop. So you want to play wen the other people is playing then. I don't know the evolution of the community in both games, maybe one of the two will fade into a small community in a few months, but I have no idea what one.

b0rsuk
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Does Borderlands 2 have a ferret wearing goggles ?

Tei
02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Good point.

caljohnston
02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Crappy loot game 1 or crappy loot game 2, hmm. I'd go for neither. If you want a meaningless randomized loot game why not go for something with actual challenge like DCSS or Angband?

sabrage
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
It strikes me that Wizardry disappeared right around the time Diablo 3 was released... And now there's like 12 of him.

bonkers
02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
With the DLC Fest that Borderlands 2 is most likely going to end in I would say that it is not an unwise thing to wait for a GotY edition if you do not have anyone you really have to play with on release.

Vandelay
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, already pre-ordered both, so my decision has already been made. If you are still on the fence and likely to be playing single player, I would say Torchlight 2 is the better option. Borderlands the first was definitely more fun with others, whilst I was fairly content playing Torchlight alone.

Having said that, they are making quite a big thing of the multiplayer side of T2, so that may have changed.

Mohorovicic
02-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Does Borderlands 2 have a ferret wearing goggles ?

Good point.

OP: go for Borderlands 2.

Serenegoose
02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
The beta for torchlight 2 was a considerably better game than diablo 3. Definitely the best diablo-like I've ever played. Borderlands singleplayer however is some weak shit. If you can get friends to play I'd say it's 50/50. On your own, go with Torchlight 2, no question.

Sparkasaurusmex
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Torchlight 2 is going to cost a lot less than Borderlands II, no? For me that would make it an easy decision if you're on the fence and worried about spending too much. Just refund your prepurchase and use that to completely purchase Torchlight 2.

flagoon
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I had preorders on both, Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2. When they announce release date for T2 I decided to cancel Borderlands 2 preorder. I have someone to play with, so we just buy Borderlands next year.

Muzza
05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
am i the only person who played borderlands solo and enjoyed it?

bonkers
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
No. I and many others also enjoyed it solo. It's just waaaaay more fun when played in coop.

magnus1969
05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
am i the only person who played borderlands solo and enjoyed it?

So it wasn't just me then, I thought you were supposed hate playing it solo.

Tei
05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
So it wasn't just me then, I thought you were supposed hate playing it solo.

I played solo a few levels, but is something more boring that with people, and with much less interesting loot. Also nobody is going to rush to heal you, if you fall... so its somewhat harder.

Another problem is how the world is animated/fleshed. You have all these npcs in the cities, that look both like a life thing and a dead thing. If you hit them, it sounds metallic. Is fucking creepy. You don't notice the creepiness when playing with other people, because with other people you fly everywhere.