PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Armchair: Diaspora, A Battlestar Galactica spacesim finally sees the light.

Grizzly
05-09-2012, 08:45 AM
The Release thread! (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0)
The Trailer which also features a download link! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWt2m1xtJbw).
Diaspora is a community project to create a Battlestar Galactica game on the Freespace 2 Open engine (So its not a Freespace mod: It's entirely stand-alone). After 4 years of development the game has been released! So go ahead and download it!

RakeShark
05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Praise the Lords! I can fly a Viper like I've always wanted to!

Gorzan
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
The site seems to be broken, is it for someone else or is it my own problem?

Jams O'Donnell
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
site is down:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

Gorzan
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
That page will serve me well, thank you.

westyfield
05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyone remember the 'Beyond The Red Line' Freespace 2 Open game from a few years ago? It was only a demo really, just a tutorial and one or two basic missions, but it was neat to see the Viper models and transport ships. I think some of the creators of that worked on Diaspora.

Grizzly
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Anyone remember the 'Beyond The Red Line' Freespace 2 Open game from a few years ago? It was only a demo really, just a tutorial and one or two basic missions, but it was neat to see the Viper models and transport ships. I think some of the creators of that worked on Diaspora.

Indeed. A schism occured in the BtRL team due to disagreements about the feature of the mod. Out of this schism, Diaspora was born. The Beyond The Red Line project is as far as I know still ongoing. The reasons why the team broke up are largely unknown. I only know one of the reasons: Diaspora uses an episodic release model, whilst Beyond the Red Line intends to release everything in one go.

Velko
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Indeed. A schism occured in the BtRL team due to disagreements about the feature of the mod. Out of this schism, Diaspora was born. The Beyond The Red Line project is as far as I know still ongoing. The reasons why the team broke up are largely unknown. I only know one of the reasons: Diaspora uses an episodic release model, whilst Beyond the Red Line intends to release everything in one go.

Read: is never going to release anything.

I have little faith in Epic & Ambitious Mod Projects which drag on for years and years. There's always people in the mod team whose life situations change and they drop out, while the game itself slowly becomes more outdated and less well-known. Eventually they just die a slow and quiet death. Of course, there are notable exceptions, and those exceptions tend to be Epic indeed, but they really are exceptions.

Tikey
05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Oh god! Exciting news!
I can't wait to get home.

Grizzly
05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Updated the OP with a link to a trailer, which also includes the download links.