PDA

View Full Version : Loadout! (new MP shooter)

Hypernetic
05-09-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avG1WaJf7eE&feature=share&list=UUEZaDMCrAz Nk5vkkUnkjPaw
http://www.loadout.com

So I played this game at PAX and was pretty impressed by it. I also won a beta key in a little "beat the devs challenge" they had. There is no NDA so feel free to ask me anything about the game.

It has a really deep weapon customization system where you basically build your own weapons to be whatever you want them to be. The video above kind of shows some of the customization you can do. You can build anything from energy weapons and missile launchers to sniper rifles and healing weapons (and everything in between), it's really a cool idea. There are all kinds of crazy options like bouncing projectiles, laser guides projectiles, remote control missiles, proximity detonation projectiles/mines, tesla rounds, pyro rounds, etc, etc, etc.

There are 4 or 5 game modes already in this very early closed beta as well as a handful of really well designed maps. I don't normally make a thread to endorse a game, but I feel this game is deserving of it.

gundato
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
So basically it is the Borderlands gun-creator, but you have control over the RNG?

Voon
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
"new MP shooter"

another one?

Hypernetic
05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
So basically it is the Borderlands gun-creator, but you have control over the RNG?

In a way, yes. You can change the magazine, scope, barrel, stock, chassis (chassis is like rifle, launcher, pulse, beam, etc), trigger, and payload (the type of ammunition used, this can get really deep for certain chassis types).

I'll give you two examples of weapons I've made so far that I like.

1. Pulse Weapon: This weapon fires high speed, laser guides projectiles (they home in on wherever your laser pointer is aimed at). It uses a gattling barrel for max fire rate and a shell loading magazine (like a shotgun). The shell loading magazines do more damage per shot than standard mags with the obvious trade off of having to load the shells one at a time. It holds 30 rounds for this particular weapon. It can be pretty effective though because you don't have to go through a full reload cycle in the heat of combat, you could load 3-4 round and spit em out to finish someone off who is reloading a clip based magazine.

2. Multi-Launcher: So this gun shoots bursts of mini-rockets that are laser guided and explode on impact. I picked regular kinetic payload with "turbo rockets" that accelerate faster and faster the further they travel. This is very good for hitting people on the run who are actively trying to evade you. The rockets are also bouncy, so if they miss their mark they will bounce off the floor/walls a few times and explode (unless they hit someone then they explode on impact).

I think those are two pretty good example of how diverse it can be.

gundato
05-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Sounds interesting, but way too chaotic for online. And I imagine that the "good" designs will become popular. Like how in Blacklight most people just use the prebuilts anyway with only the long-term players really doing a mix and match to a large degree.

Any word on if this will support botmatches?

Hypernetic
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Sounds interesting, but way too chaotic for online. And I imagine that the "good" designs will become popular. Like how in Blacklight most people just use the prebuilts anyway with only the long-term players really doing a mix and match to a large degree.

Any word on if this will support botmatches?

Why is it too chaotic for online? You design the guns in the weapons lab and then bring them into matches, it's not like you are doing this during a match.

I don't know about bot matches, but there is already a test map in the weapons lab that allows you to test out your newly created/edited weapons on bots, so I suppose it wouldn't be too hard for them to go one step further and have bot matches.

gundato
05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
The guns you are describing pretty much sound like "spammy one-shot kill weapons". So everything people hate about Grenades.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Explosive Overkill online. But that was always something you play with a few friends when you are more interested in having fun, less on competition. And considering that what most people play MP shooters for these days is NOT fun...

Hypernetic
05-09-2012, 06:08 PM
The guns you are describing pretty much sound like "spammy one-shot kill weapons". So everything people hate about Grenades.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Explosive Overkill online. But that was always something you play with a few friends when you are more interested in having fun, less on competition. And considering that what most people play MP shooters for these days is NOT fun...

The combat is fast paced, but it's not very spammy from what I've seen so far. For example my mini-rocket launcher takes 3 direct hits to kill someone. Now I can throw out a lot of rockets pretty quickly, but the reload time is fairly long on that weapon so you are much better off waiting for a good shot.

It's currently 6v6 on maps that are a good size to support 12 people. It's not a spam fest like TF2 can be at all, if that is what you were getting at.

There are also heal weapons that can overheal (you can turn ANY weapon into a heal weapon, so a healing rocket will splash and heal you as well) and the overheal does protect you from random spam that may occur quite well. One cool thing I found with the healing weapons is that they heal enemies too, so you can't just spam heals everywhere with reckless abandon.

Choca
05-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Would be more interesting if they brought some wacky stuff to the weapon design, like shooting piranhas or explosive ghosts.

Making your own weapon sounds cool on paper but if it's just another damn shotgun I'm not sure it's going to bring that much to the table.

Doesn't look too bad on the graphics side of things though.

Hypernetic
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Would be more interesting if they brought some wacky stuff to the weapon design, like shooting piranhas or explosive ghosts.

Making your own weapon sounds cool on paper but if it's just another damn shotgun I'm not sure it's going to bring that much to the table.

Doesn't look too bad on the graphics side of things though.

It's way deeper than "just another shotgun".

Also you can shoot beer cans instead of rockets =D.

There is a lot of stuff that isn't in the beta build yet that the devs have shown on youtube vids like jump boots and turrets and other such business.