PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing Inquisitor?

Sic
05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I've bought it, but won't be playing it until sometime next week (I hope).

Is it any good? How did they do with the translation?

I'm a bit confused as to what kind of game it is. Some people say it looks very much like a Black Isle or Troika game, others say it's a Diablo clone (most saying it plays like Divine Divinity).

Does it have unique items and such? Is it Arcanum with the loot of Diablo?

After much google-fu, I still haven't quite found out what kind of game it is, or whether or not it is any good, really.

Anyone?

pakoito
05-09-2012, 07:47 PM
RPGCodex already said it is an "barely above average" RPG.

johnki
05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
There are a lot of mixed opinions. On one side, people think it's awesome due to the inquisition thing and being able to punish people in ways relevant to the dark setting, such as burning at the stake, torturing for information, etc.

On the other hand, people think it's difficult, plays like an older RPG, etc.

It definitely seems it's a niche title, but it seems like a great niche title.

Fumarole
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
There are some pretty lengthy reviews on GOG (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/inquisitor).

Sic
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM

We don't listen to what children think of RPGs, do we?

On a serious note, though, where the hell is Wizardy?

gundato
30-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Spent the weekend playing it. In theory, I absolutely love it. I spent a good hour or so just reading all the dialogue as I questioned people on the disappearances in town.

In practice, the combat REALLY annoys me. Crappy feedback and "green on brown" violence (yay, the orcs blend into the background...) basically make hectic combat a pixel-hunt. Combine that with your human party members initiating dialogue (even in combat) and you get active pause in the sense that you'll keep clicking the god damned knight helping you out. That's why every Infinity Engine game I remember puts the god damned red circle around enemies.

And it is VERY grind-heavy. You are essentially unable to explore dungeons until level 15 (Levitate spell). Got to the point where I Just looked up the console commands and started using those.

But the first real dungeon (Iron Mine/Orc Caves) is what made me stop playing (at least, as anything other than a Priest). In the span of five minutes I had to repair all my weapons 3 times... Why? The Orc Shamans have some sort of spell that destroys whatever I am holding (I assume). And it doesn't help that they either spam the confuse spell (makes your mouse cursor all wonky) or the fire wall that kills my dog and archer instantly (meaning I have to stand there and tank).

Maybe I'll roll up a Priest and just cheat my ass off and spam magic. I suspect the Priest is what the devs intended to play. Thief has no real useful abilities that can't be recreated with a spell, Paladin (really a Knight) forces you into melee tanking, and Priest has the ability to get promoted and be Judge, Lawyer, Investigator, and Executioner.

The thing is, I want to love it. They have a very rich world (I had fun just reading through the MANY manuals and documents), the dialogue is incredibly good, and I love how quests are handled. I just hate all combat.

More rant against the combat: It combines all the worst aspects of ARPGs and Infinity Engine/NWN style combat. You have to click for every strike, but there is no feedback from the strikes. They just sit there and trade blows.

Fumarole
02-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, it looks like I'll be waiting for a lower price.

stevenjoywell
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
There are a lot of mixed opinions. On one side, people think it's awesome due to the inquisition thing and being able to punish people in ways relevant to the dark setting, such as burning at the stake, torturing for information, etc.

It definitely seems it's a niche title, but it seems like a great niche title.

yeah, i think so, good idea, thanks for your sharing. http://www.okhealthy.com/image/188.jpg

Squiz
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Good god, I am so tired of these spambots. They are not even trying anymore. You could probably run a forum wide search for posts with less than 15 words, a confirmative expression, and the word "sharing" and get above 70% hitrate of bot posts.