PDA

View Full Version : I Am Alive (PC) - what is it like? No spoilers please

Revisor
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I Am Alive is out for PC today. What is it like? Is it a fun game?

Judging by this video review it looks pretty atmospheric.
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hhwe2a/i-am-alive-review

DaftPunk
06-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Its not hard going to youtube,and looking at some gameplay videos :D Otherwise there is allot of platforming,and repetitive fighting mechanic where you can intimidate other survivors,basically is like this: You see three people at campfire,you aproach them with your pistol aiming towards them,they don't know you don't have any bullets,so they raise their hands and after this you can hit them with your machete. On later levels enemies become much "harder" because they tend to pull out their pistols,wear bulletproof vests etc.

Also its kinda short game,story is nothing special again,but the settings are nice because there are only people in the world,no zombies and shit.

SirKicksalot
06-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Bought it from Gamersgate. I have 3.5 GB left on the C drive and 135 on the one where I install games. I Am Alive occupies about 2 GB. The installer unpacks temp files to C, leaving 1.25 free. I choose an install location on drive D. The process stops because I don't have enough free space (on C, I assume).

I also can't add the key to UPlay and just download it where I want because UPlay is a barebones piece of shit.

I should pirate games before buying. I really don't feel like uninstalling and reinstalling programs just to (hopefully) get to play I Am Alive.
Is there a way to extract the contents of an InstallShield.exe? :/

NecroKnight
07-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Bought it from Gamersgate. I have 3.5 GB left on the C drive and 135 on the one where I install games. I Am Alive occupies about 2 GB. The installer unpacks temp files to C, leaving 1.25 free. I choose an install location on drive D. The process stops because I don't have enough free space (on C, I assume).

I also can't add the key to UPlay and just download it where I want because UPlay is a barebones piece of shit.

I should pirate games before buying. I really don't feel like uninstalling and reinstalling programs just to (hopefully) get to play I Am Alive.
Is there a way to extract the contents of an InstallShield.exe? :/

You've already given them your money, just pirate it.

lhzr
07-09-2012, 03:22 PM
@SirKicksalot
yeah, the installer is incredibly badly made. What it does is it extracts a msi to your temp folder and then runs it. Then you choose to install to drive D, for example, but it installs the game on your system drive anyway and then moves all the files to D. Pretty awful.

What you can do is change the location of your temp folders by editing the system variables (control panel-system-advanced-environment variables on XP or control panel-advanced system settings-advanced-environment variables on win 7) and change both temp and tmp variables in BOTH lists (user and system variables) to point to the same location on a drive with enough space. You may or may not need to reboot after this.

I tried unpacking the msi (by running the installer and then copying the msi from the temp folder to somewhere else) but it yielded some improperly named files that didn't a playable game make. If you wanna try this for some reason, use uniextract (http://code.google.com/p/uniextract/).

Oh, and make sure you have double the space (~4gigs) on the drive that you choose for the temp folder, since it unpacks the game twice there..

edit: I see you've got 3.5 gigs free on your C drive, you could try deleting your temp files or moving something from Program files to a different partition, installing the game and then moving everything back (you'd need to free up a bit more than 500 megs). Changing your temp location is a better option in the longterm, though, since Capcom's installers, for example, also do this sort of crap.

SirKicksalot
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I ended up moving some programs and taking a dangerous trip through AppData, where I found stuff like a 1GB cache file left behind by Rage. Dammit Carmack! Thanks for the tips, they'll be useful in the future.

After about one hour, my only complaint about I Am Alive is that the "your stamina is low" music is painfully repetitive. You hear the same track over and over again as you do platforming. The toddler you carry around is charming and I'm pretty sure the voice on the walkie-talkie is Adam Jensen.

Disclaimer: I play on easy because there's nothing worse than an extra lives system.

somini
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
The toddler you carry around is charming and I'm pretty sure the voice on the walkie-talkie is Adam Jensen.
The voice actor did confirm he was playing some character in I Am Alive here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flszuT3ROdo)