PDA

View Full Version : Bad Company 2, Bioshock 2, Episode 2

piggydiggy
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
With regard to the steam sale, are these worth getting bearing in mind that I mostly do singleplayer stuff.

Thanks

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Bad Company 2 has an okay campaign, but it probably won't satisfy you. It really is a multiplayer game and a damn good one at that.

If you like Half Life 2, there's no reason not to like Ep 2. It progresses the story, has some cool moments and is pretty open. I would personally say it's more of the same, but hey it's Half Life.

piggydiggy
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Is the Bad Company 2 multiplayer still popular/supported?

And is the kit/Vietnam dlc worth the purchase?

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh very much so. RPS has a server and it's usually full. Even so, there's still many, many servers out there and it's very popular. The only drawback is that likely man people will shift over once Battlefield 3 comes out later on in the year. That being said, for the price it's at now, you can still get a hell of a lot of fun from it before that happens (and even so, there'll likely still be players).

piggydiggy
02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Hmm ok, thanks for the advice, may get Ep2 and BC2 then. Not so sure about Bioshock though, I didn't really get along with the original; combat felt a bit floaty.

thegooseking
02-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I never finished Bioshock 2. It's great in concept (and rather successfully did the difficult thing of being a worthy successor to Bioshock without doing exactly the same thing), but the pacing is slightly tedious at times. There's a little too much combat that isn't fun; it's just slog. Still, it's definitely worth it that price.

Episode 2 I didn't like as much as Episode 1, but it's pretty good, and again, definitely worth it at that price.

I haven't played Bad Company 2. I'm not an army men manshoot fan in general, really, but I've heard almost nothing but good things about it.

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Sounds good. I might also recommend to hold off getting the DLC for BC2. The stock game should be enough and if you're more of a fan of SP, the MP as is will easily suit you fine. In regards to the campaign, don't worry if you haven't played 1. The characters are the same, but it's a completely new story (for better or for worse).

Rii
02-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Hmm ok, thanks for the advice, may get Ep2 and BC2 then. Not so sure about Bioshock though, I didn't really get along with the original; combat felt a bit floaty.

Combat in Bioshock 2 is significantly improved over its predecessor by the brilliant - and obvious in hindsight - innovation of having both gun and plasmid equipped at the same time, one in each hand.

Not incidentally, near everything else about Bioshock 2 is an improvement over its predecessor also. I suspect that once a few more years have passed and folks start to approach (for the first time or otherwise) both titles merely as products of the past, Bioshock 2 will at last receive its due.

Wizardry
02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Worth getting? I don't know. That depends on your taste, mainly. It's also relative. Are there better games to live off for a lower price? Yes. Have you played them all and want something more? I don't know. Maybe?

Alex Bakke
02-07-2011, 09:37 PM
In hindsight I would not have purchased the Vietnam DLC for Battlefield Bad Company 2. I'm not sure if it's discounted due to the sales, but it definitely wasn't worth 10.

The JG Man
02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Vietnam was alright as something different, but once I got all the achievements for it on the 360, I never touched it again. When I got BC2 on the PC, I didn't bother picking up Vietnam. The main game is absolutely fine for content. It's still well played and on sale, it's worth it, but I'd say only if you're a die-hard BC2 player and quite frankly, if you're buying games on Steam, you can definitely be spending Vietnam time playing other games.

Basilicus
02-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Wizardry, you are a fount of decisiveness.

I enjoyed each of those three games' single-player campaigns.

Bioshock 2 is a huge improvement over Bioshock. I was put off by the first since it lifts every beat of the first half of its plot from System Shock 2. Bioshock 2 realizes the world better, has better level design and vastly streamlined mechanics, and has a more resonant story.

Episode 2 contains some truly stellar level design. Everything else is more of the same, but since the same is already pretty groovy, that's a compliment.

I enjoyed BC2's single-player. It's nothing world-breaking, and it has neither the tightness of a CoD nor the emotional resonance of Medal of Honor, but it has my favorite James Bond-superweapon/batsh*t crazy plot of all the batsh*t crazy plots modern military shooters are apparently supposed to have, and it's somewhat more open than most linear corridor shooters. The setpieces are solid, it does a great job of mixing environments, and even though it's still madly linear, you often get a few different ways to go about something because of the completely destructible environs.

Hotblack
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Recently replayed the the entire HL2 series and Ep2 is my favorite. That last battle really gets your blood pumping!

I'm also on the fence on buying Bioshock 2. Seems like a great game and apparently it's really short, too. Less than 10 hours. The length is a plus for me. Always wanted to play it, but not spend 20 hours doing so.

GothicEmperor
02-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Sounds good. I might also recommend to hold off getting the DLC for BC2. The stock game should be enough and if you're more of a fan of SP, the MP as is will easily suit you fine. In regards to the campaign, don't worry if you haven't played 1. The characters are the same, but it's a completely new story (for better or for worse).
This, somewhat.

Th DLC ('expansion' is a bett word) is worthwile; I love it and am spending almost as much time playing the expansion as I do playing the regular game. Try and wait 'till you can get it for cheap elswhere. It's just a code that people e-mail you that allows you to unlock the extra content (for the record, this wasn't on-the-disk-dlc, it was patched in later); I got it for barely anything through an EA sale.

westyfield
03-07-2011, 12:03 AM
If you're a singleplayer person, don't bother with BC2 Vietnam - it's multiplayer only. As for vBC2, it's got an ok singleplayer. The story is awful, but simultaneously so over-the-top that you might like it. It's not very long though, perhaps 6-8 hours. Multiplayer is where BC2 shines.
Episode 2 is great, I preferred it to Episode 1. Don't play it if you haven't played HL2/Episode 1, obviously, but if you have then go for it.

CuriousOrange
03-07-2011, 01:43 AM
The Vietnam add on is only about 3 quid at the moment.

vinraith
03-07-2011, 01:50 AM
I actually liked Episode 2 more than Episode 1, myself. It's more HL2, and very well done, so if you enjoyed HL2 and Ep 1 there's certainly no reason not to get it.

I bounced off Bioshock 2, despite enjoying the first one. The plot seems less engaging to me, though the combat mechanics appear to be better. The atmosphere is essentially identical, and I think I've just grown tired of Rapture. Your mileage may vary.

The JG Man
03-07-2011, 02:37 AM
The Vietnam add on is only about 3 quid at the moment.

I still wouldn't say it was worth it for someone SP focused. In fact, I would find it hard to recommend to someone who WAS MP focused. I'd rather save that 3 quid for either another game or just to save. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it needs to be bought.

BenWah
03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Bioshock 2 was one of those games I was supposed to like but didn't.
If you are truly focused on single player I'd get EP2.
BC2 is great multiplayer.

In totally unrelated news, I bought plants and zombies on sale, and am having so much fun!

GothicEmperor
03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I still wouldn't say it was worth it for someone SP focused. In fact, I would find it hard to recommend to someone who WAS MP focused. I'd rather save that 3 quid for either another game or just to save. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it needs to be bought.
My brain completely filtered out the single-player bit. Yeah, for someone who only plays single-player, it's completely worthless.

Ansob
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
In hindsight I would not have purchased the Vietnam DLC for Battlefield Bad Company 2. I'm not sure if it's discounted due to the sales, but it definitely wasn't worth 10.

I got it for a fiver and I thought it was worth it - the reduced weapons selection means no more fucking Carl Gustav, and the new setting is a fun throw-back.

Kadayi
04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
With regard to the steam sale, are these worth getting bearing in mind that I mostly do singleplayer stuff.

Thanks

BC2 SP was decent, with a fair amount of mix in terms of the mission types also the downtime conversations are quite funny and it is surprisingly good looking game.

Bioshock 2: Not played it myself, but I've heard it's reasonable. Might be worth getting though in order to be able to play Minervas Den which is the highly regarded DLC that is available for it. When Giantbomb were carrying out last years lengthy game of the year decisions, it carried the day Vs Mass Effect 2s lair of the shadow broker IIRC as best DLC.

Episode 2: Definitely. Good storyline with some humour thrown in, lots of interesting situations/challenges to overcome, great level design and *spoilers* a balls to the wall Battle Royale at the end.

Outright Villainy
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Episode 2, you'd pretty much know already if you want it or not. Playing Half life 2 and Episode 1 first is essential, since it's basically just a continuation of the story. That said, if Episode 1 left you a little cold, definitely give Episode 2 a try, since the level design is way, way better. And the climactic battle at the end is the high point of the entire series.

Bioshock 2 deserves more praise than it generally gets. Glad to see some people defending it here; I'd agree that improves upon the original in most ways. The combat is far better, allowing dual wielding, faster switching of ammo types for more varied gunplay, more balanced weapons and plasmids, as well as greater focus on trap setting, forcing more strategic thinking. Plus, the story is overall a lot better. You don't get that whole meta-twist that made Bioshock so memorable, but the overall story has more emotional heft, and it's paced a lot better. You don't have Fontaine either, who was a villain straight out of a saturday morning cartoon.

coldvvvave
05-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I have to say that after replaying HL2( with a mod that transfers it to latest version of Source engine which means cool shadows) and episodes I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Episode One the most. HL2 is kind of obsolete in my opinion( gameplay-wise), EP2 had too much Alyx( how come people mock CoD for 'You cant open this door without a friendly npc guy' but tolerate same stuff in Valve games?) for my taste. Not like any of HL games are bad, but I feel that some of the best parts of HL weren't transfered to HL2. Like feeling of isolation and claustrophobia/agoraphobia and those giantic Dark Science Pits of Death( Portal 2 gave me those, thanks Gabe) and other stuff I liked in the original. Instead I got boring car and boat rides. And physic puzzles that were cool back then now just feel like they weere thrown just for the hell of it( physics were THE thing back then, I remember how GSC made a video in which they claimed that physics in STALKER are really really important and showed a painfully scripted scene in which player shot a container above some guys head and it felt killed him, obviously it wasn't in the game). EP2 had a nice ending action sequence while EP1 had a boring one, that wasn't even a sequence, thats for sure but still, I liked level design and locations themselves in EP1 far more.

fiddlesticks
05-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I certainly don't want to berate you for liking Episode 1 (it's arguably my favourite one as well), but saying Ep 2 had too much Alyx seems like a strange criticism considering she's always with you in Ep 1.

Flint
05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Personally, EP1 is my least favourite one out of the whole Half-Life saga and the only thing I'd call mediocre in the whole series. EP2 was a big step forward from it.