PDA

View Full Version : Stretch goals for Steam pre-orders

elfbarf
07-09-2012, 01:13 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

I guess we can thank Kickstarter for this.

LTK
07-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Sigh. Things used to be so simple.

AlexClockwork
07-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Well, the first reward, being in-game, seems unnecesary to me... Not cool. I mean, if I'm already pre-ordering, don't make me doubt about what I'm gonna get in-game... Extra TF2 items or extra games seem nice, though.

arccos
07-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Yeaaaah... not so happy about that. I guess it's better than the GameStop exclusives and such, but come on now.

They don't even say what the actual goal figures are. I rarely preorder, and I don't think I will here, either.

arccos
07-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Yeaaaah... not so happy about that. I guess it's better than the GameStop exclusives and such, but come on now.

They don't even say what the actual goal figures are. I rarely preorder, and I don't think I will here, either.

Tikey
07-09-2012, 02:24 AM
This is silly. This totally puts me off from preordering

Moraven
07-09-2012, 02:29 AM
http://www.ninostarter.com/home

The first place I seen this before. I actually like the idea but only regarding physical collector copies. More people that pre-order, the more physical items will be made and given to everyone.

Moraven
07-09-2012, 02:34 AM
The Special Edition pre order comes with a couple physical items, plus the DLC and classic soldier. $60

Box: $60, includes Elite Solider Pack. Plus

Fold out poster of the XCOM base
Art book detailing the conceptual journey of re-imagining the classic
Patch of the XCOM "Vigilo/Confido" insignia
Digital bonus items including multi-monitor desktops, soundtrack, and more

Steam: $50, Nothing extra. Includes Elite Soldier Pack if enough people preorder on Steam. Possible TF2 items and free Civ 5.

Amazon Digital: $45 includes Elite Soldier Pack.

pakoito
07-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Still better than Day 1 DLC.

EDIT: WAT 50? I thought this was a 20 deal for a game developed in under a year! What is EA smoking!?

Raaritsgozilla
07-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Seems like a pretty shit idea

soldant
07-09-2012, 03:33 AM
And it's from a major studio.

And it's the most promising XCOM game since XCOM WHAT THE HELL RAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!

No sir, I don't like it.

Velko
07-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Pardon me, but if you want to preorder it and get freebies for that, what exactly is wrong with this? It's not like the need to fill up every bar in the world has been forced into our minds in such a way that even people who don't want to preorder are forced to?

...right?

Dubbill
07-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Why would anyone order from Steam for a chance to get the Elite Soldier Pack (progress bar is at 28% as I type) when you could order if from, say, The Hut (http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/pc/xcom-enemy-unknown-elite-soldier-pack-pre-order-edition/10217069.html)* for 5.15 cheaper and be guaranteed the same content?

* first google hit, no bias intended

soldant
07-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Pardon me, but if you want to preorder it and get freebies for that, what exactly is wrong with this?
I can pre-order it from a store for a similar price and get the bonus guaranteed. Right now from EB games it's a few dollars more for the standard edition ($69.95 US on Steam, about $71 here, EB is about $75 or something) but you get the first reward tier guaranteed. Where the hell is the logic in that?! No doubt it'll surpass the 25% (or at least I have faith that it will) but still, that's a ridiculous 'stretch' goal. These aren't even stretch goals, they've already made the content.

If the bar goes to the end then fair enough, the Steam version technically works out better than the retail for someone like me here in Australia, but it's a ridiculous sales method.

r3dknight
07-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Ouch. They really went full retard.

Flint
07-09-2012, 08:18 AM
The only slightly iffy thing I see in this is the usage of TF2 items as tier 2, which kinda feels like trying to bait sales from the most fanatical TF2 fans who gotta catch 'em all. Other than that not really bothered - the people who would've preordered the game would've done so anyway, only the lowest tier is related to the actual game and none of the extra content is anything that significantly alters the game. To be honest, I'm more surprised it's a 30 game because I swear I had read somewhere at some point it'd be sold cheaper.

amusingthebrood
07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I can pre-order it from a store for a similar price and get the bonus guaranteed.

Interestingly, 2K/Firaxis are saying that they will essentially guarantee the Elite Soldier Pack to Steam pre-orders anyway:

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?132641-Don-t-worry-you-still-get-Elite-Soldier-Pack-guaranteed-with-Steam!&p=1751496#post1751496

I'd be interested to know whether the whole idea for this came from the 2K or Steam side.

Oshada
07-09-2012, 09:44 AM
If they hadn't made the first tier essentially redundant, would people like it?

Gorzan
07-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I think people would like i then. I would like it.

Endless Blockade
07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
To be honest, I'm more surprised it's a 30 game because I swear I had read somewhere at some point it'd be sold cheaper.

30? We have to pay 50 €urobucks for this one through steam, ugh.

Jesus_Phish
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Still better than Day 1 DLC.

EDIT: WAT 50€? I thought this was a 20€ deal for a game developed in under a year! What is EA smoking!?

I'm certain I read that somewhere before too. Think I'll end up skipping this one for a while. I've got the old xcoms to keep me content and I'm not going to drop €50 on a new one.

In regards to the OP, this is probably just a way of Steam trying to get more pre-orders. I've never pre-ordered anything on Steam that's available in stores, or even bought any new release on Steam that I know is in stores on a disc for about €15-20 cheaper and activates on Steam anyway. I can just throw the disc away after if I don't want it taking up any space.

ado
07-09-2012, 02:10 PM
As much as I hate even the idea of pre-order bonuses, let alone "stretchgoals" on pre-orders, it makes sense for it to happen in this industry because ALL publishers gauge the initial success of a game on pre-order numbers. As usual, capitalism is to blame. :P

Unaco
07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
I've no problem with it... it might even encourage people to preorder, so a smart move by the devs/publisher. Nothing is essential, so you're losing nothing if it doesn't make these targets. The Elite Soldier Pack seems like the biggest draw, for me... but there are TF2 Hats. Seems like a nice idea and some nice rewards. I'm unlikely to be preordering though, just because of game and work overload, currently. And Dishonoured.

Worcanna
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
As kinda been said. Its not really so wrong on a business level. This is exactly the style of gauge used to base a game is a success but the fact it nearly seems like a pre-order trap of sorts. I mean, i know id want to get the game but...this makes me want to wait just to hope that when people see it doesn't work, we wont see it again. I can dream i guess. :(

TechnicalBen
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Well, the first reward, being in-game, seems unnecesary to me... Not cool. I mean, if I'm already pre-ordering, don't make me doubt about what I'm gonna get in-game... Extra TF2 items or extra games seem nice, though.
Yep. DLC of the skins kind seems very hmm... how do I put this? Weak as in cup of tea? Just poor and boring. But a free copy of a game (Civ 5), does not sound too bad. Why bother with pre-order numbers though? Just give it out as the pre-order!

PS, was also hoping it was >30. I guess 30 is better than >30... :P

DaftPunk
07-09-2012, 03:06 PM
This is bullshit.

Sparkasaurusmex
07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I usually never like the preorder bonuses for games. They are usually cheats anyway.

The First Door
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I get really confused why people are so annoyed about things like stretch goals on Kickstarter. You are just getting more content that you first paid for and that's a good thing!

In this case you are buying the game. If the game is worth 30 in the first place, does it matter if you don't get the bonus stuff?

Worcanna
07-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I get really confused why people are so annoyed about things like stretch goals on Kickstarter. You are just getting more content that you first paid for and that's a good thing!

In this case you are buying the game. If the game is worth 30 in the first place, does it matter if you don't get the bonus stuff?

Okay, so let's look at it this way.

The upside is that you are indeed getting more then what your paying for.
The downside is your not GUARANTEED anything. There are 3 levels of content here and before this, we would get all 3. Now they are holding it for ransom and telling us as gamers to flog more if we want shiny trinkets. XCom is indeed a big deal...but not everyone is going to buy this and i VERY much worry that people will get fluffed out of the pre-order bonus just because they don't get enough people on day one.

Since when has day one been THAT important considering your sales figures aren't calculated till the end of the bloody month.

Jesus_Phish
07-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Okay, so let's look at it this way.

The upside is that you are indeed getting more then what your paying for.
The downside is your not GUARANTEED anything. There are 3 levels of content here and before this, we would get all 3. Now they are holding it for ransom and telling us as gamers to flog more if we want shiny trinkets. XCom is indeed a big deal...but not everyone is going to buy this and i VERY much worry that people will get fluffed out of the pre-order bonus just because they don't get enough people on day one.

Since when has day one been THAT important considering your sales figures aren't calculated till the end of the bloody month.

For the same reason as opening box office takings are the most important figure for hyping your movie until it's done its run. If a movie makes 100 million billion in it's opening weekend it's massive news for it. Everywhere will be talking about it. If it does really bad on the other hand, everyone will talk about it in a negative way. The opening weekend of a movie will influence the rest of the public who haven't seen it to possible see what all the fuss is about. Thats why you barely ever hear "And in it's fifth week at the box office Batman has made X dollahs".

The same applies for opening sales of games. Sell a million in the first week and suddenly you've got a tonne of free advertising as everyone raves about the fact your game had the biggest opening weekend ever etc etc.

The First Door
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM
The downside is your not GUARANTEED anything. There are 3 levels of content here and before this, we would get all 3.

We wouldn't necessary have gotten all three before this. After all, Reward 3 is Civ V which isn't that old a game! The only pre-order bonus they promised was the Elite Solider pack and they have promised Steam pre-orders will still get it, no matter what. Admittedly, it does seem rather silly to have that as the first tier then.

My point was though, you are guaranteed the game! Some people seem to have forgotten what they are actually paying for sometimes these days. It's just feels a bit like buying a Happy Meal for the free toy and then being annoyed the free toy is a bit rubbish.

Worcanna
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
For the same reason as opening box office takings are the most important figure for hyping your movie until it's done its run. If a movie makes 100 million billion in it's opening weekend it's massive news for it. Everywhere will be talking about it. If it does really bad on the other hand, everyone will talk about it in a negative way. The opening weekend of a movie will influence the rest of the public who haven't seen it to possible see what all the fuss is about. Thats why you barely ever hear "And in it's fifth week at the box office Batman has made X dollahs".

The same applies for opening sales of games. Sell a million in the first week and suddenly you've got a tonne of free advertising as everyone raves about the fact your game had the biggest opening weekend ever etc etc.

Games are not movies and don't follow the same style of sales. More so on the PC and even more so with Steam. How many times have i seen the words "Il wait for the sales" when a game comes out that is a bit more expensive then it was lead to be. While i get what you mean, movies do not stay in the box office forever. Games do and people are not daft enough to think that the price of the game will not go down after time or go on sale. A pre order offer in this climate means NOTHING as they are often given out or resold as a way to make money and by that point, only the dedicated buy them. With your logic, games sell the most in the first 2 weeks and then see drop off of a titanic amount that makes them need to be repackaged. That doesn't happen unless you consider DLC as repackage under a different name.

As to what The First Door said. Of late, we HAVE gotten the level 3 rewards as pre-orders. I have seen a lot of games offer full quite new games as pre-order bonuses for a bit and with steam, it would be safe to assume we would of gotten the hats anyway. So they are basically holding out on a package of items that everywhere else gets for free without the sales figures being used to badger for more sales. How does that exactly not sound like just fudging stuff for no other reason but to provoke sales in a bad way? Yes, we are paying for the game but to kinda use your analogy, If the toy sucks, its still part of what i paid for. If i was told that id not get my toy without 20 other people buying a damn happy meal, id be a little miffed, crap toy or not.

Jesus_Phish
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Games are not movies and don't follow the same style of sales. More so on the PC and even more so with Steam. How many times have i seen the words "Il wait for the sales" when a game comes out that is a bit more expensive then it was lead to be. While i get what you mean, movies do not stay in the box office forever. Games do and people are not daft enough to think that the price of the game will not go down after time or go on sale. A pre order offer in this climate means NOTHING as they are often given out or resold as a way to make money and by that point, only the dedicated buy them. With your logic, games sell the most in the first 2 weeks and then see drop off of a titanic amount that makes them need to be repackaged. That doesn't happen unless you consider DLC as repackage under a different name.

How games might sell on PC and how they sell in console are obvious different, but just because people like to wait on Steam sales doesn't mean that's how it works in the majority and that's not how the publishers look at it. How many times have you seen a game not sell well in the first week and then the studio goes bust? Look at Prototype 2 for an example, terrible opening week and now the studio is gone. That game could go on to sell 100 million copies in the next steam sale, but that doesn't matter, the studio won't be brought back because of it.

I never said my logic was that games sell the most in week 1, I'm saying it's very important that a game does sell well in week 1.

Worcanna
07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
How games might sell on PC and how they sell in console are obvious different, but just because people like to wait on Steam sales doesn't mean that's how it works in the majority and that's not how the publishers look at it. How many times have you seen a game not sell well in the first week and then the studio goes bust? Look at Prototype 2 for an example, terrible opening week and now the studio is gone. That game could go on to sell 100 million copies in the next steam sale, but that doesn't matter, the studio won't be brought back because of it.

I never said my logic was that games sell the most in week 1, I'm saying it's very important that a game does sell well in week 1.

So its a more "Depends on the buyer" deal then i guess. I know a lot of people who refuse to buy on first day due to it. Though what you say is true. Though, how many people have had pre-orders that don't get brought only to be picked up on week 2-3 due to the time of the month and pay? It's a double edge sword i guess.

deano2099
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Different to Kickstarter. You get the stuff on release, and the pre-purchase period is up to release. That means the stuff is ready to go on launch. With KS, if the stuff isn't funded, it doesn't get made. Here presumably if it doesn't get funded they'll just junk the hats. Which seems like a waste.

If all the rewards were like "first DLC for free" or something I wouldn't mind so much. I'm also not against Day One DLC when it's a known quantity. But I don't like this "pre-order and you might get it if enough people do also". It's basically saying "pre-order here and tell all your friends to also". Very clever, get fans to market it for you, but ...eww.

Feldspar
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
So, only the first reward is of any use to me?

The question is, can I wait until the almost inevitable Steam Christmas sale?