PDA

View Full Version : Preorder achievement unlock on Steam (and how people are reacting to it)

Sic
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/zhzwc/new_level_of_preorder_bullshit/

I'm a bit too flabbergasted at how people are reacting to this to actually type something meaningful, but I can soundly say that I cannot believe my eyes. Are people really so utterly intent on ignoring the downward curve in the quality of distribution (of games) that they have actually started defending people who are sodomising their behind?

I mean, what the hell is this?

Unaco
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
What? People don't have the same opinion as you? Sacre bleu! How dare they?!

People don't think it's a big deal... Big deal! I'm fine with it, myself. The Elite Soldier stuff everyone is going to get anyway. Hats are... Hats, I guess, they're not even for XCOM. And Civ5, for free, giftable if you already have it? That is pretty damn cool of Firaxis to give it away.

It's extra rewards that Firaxis will give out if they're happy from pre-orders.

Hypernetic
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
What downward curve? So you get free hats in TF2 and a free GAME if a certain number of people pre-order the game?

Would I rather get all the stuff regardless of how many other people pre-order? Sure. Does the tier system bother me enough to get upset over it? Nah.

Also, please don't forget that Valve are the great experimenters of the game industry. Valve has a rich history of successful and failed experiments like this. If you don't like it, voice your concern in a place Valve will hear it. Either on their official forums or hell just email Gabe Newell, he actually reads his emails. If enough people don't like this kind of thing, they won't do it again.

Sakkura
07-09-2012, 06:07 PM
A few cosmetic unlocks if people preorder? No biggie.

If it had a real impact on gameplay I would be up in arms about it. But this is just shrugworthy.

Heliocentric
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
If I buy a game, and get a game, I'm generally okay with that. That maybe I'll get another game, that's good too.

I hate making posts using the world entitlement, but I'll bold and underline it in this case.

entitlement

elephant god
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I look at the experiment with an only slightly curled lip, but that's just because I'll never pre-order a game for 50€/full price, so no Civ5 for me, either. Civ's not my biggest cup of tea anyway.

Apart from that, I'd really like to see what a deal like this would do to pre-orders of a low-to-medium price/indie game, for example Legend of Grimrock or Torchlight 2, to name my pre-orders from the past year. I think they'd go through the roof!

Unaco
07-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I look at the experiment with an only slightly curled lip, but that's just because I'll never pre-order a game for 50€/full price, so no Civ5 for me, either. Civ's not my biggest cup of tea anyway.

Steam/Firaxis are doing the even better thing with the Civ5 copies... if you already own it, you can gift it through Steam. So expect to see a load of them being given away.

Cooper
07-09-2012, 08:44 PM
My issue:

The first tier pre-order bonus is the basic pre-order bonus that all pre-orders get, regardless of where bought. Some even cheaper than the Steam price.
- Such that 2K have had to confirm that if (in the unlikely event) the bar required to unlock it isn't reached they'll hand it out to Steam owners anyway.

Which basically comfirms this is nothing but a marketing stunt.

Sure, we knew that already, but it's unlike Steam to be so brazen about it.

That's all. It's an incredibly minor issue. It's no reason to start having any kind of hatred, anger or entitlement. I'm just miffed at however at Steam decided this was a good idea wasn't pulled to one side and told "no".

In anycase, I have a general problem with added content exclusive to pre-orders for the message that sends to those of us who want to make informed choices post-reviews and after demos. This is just a somewhat insidious example of the general problem.

Anthile
08-09-2012, 01:44 AM
If you run a business it's always better to have money now than next week and that's what pre-orders are all about.

Ritashi
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Preorders that change gameplay *cough*Dishonored*cough* are definitely bad things (which version of the game is the one the devs actually wanted to make? Which is balanced? Which is, in the end, *best*?) but bonuses like this are totally cool. Preordering is something that fans do to show support for a game and developer; it's a great indicator for how much people trust the developers to actually deliver a good game. Companies love getting money earlier, and devs love being able to go to a publisher and say "look how many people are willing to buy our games on nothing but our promises, give us more money to make games." So they create incentives for people to pre-order. What those incentives are is up to the company, and so long as it doesn't violate my above statement about changing gameplay then I have no problem with it. I do strongly dislike non-cosmetic pre-order exclusives, but that's about it.

NathanH
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't think this sort of thing is particularly good for consumers, it makes it harder to assess what you're actually buying and gives the seller more chances to confuse you. That said, it's not obviously terrible either.