PDA

View Full Version : This Is Going to Be a Boring Autumn

squirrel
09-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Sleeping Dogs is such a great game, but it's too damn short that I finished it few days after I returned from my traveling trip. I guess I didn't input more than 15 hours in it and not motivated to play through unfinished side missions after completion of the storyline.

Aside from Dishonored, all other upcoming titles are unexciting sequels of already established franchises: Far Cry 3, COD Black Ops 2, Bioshock Infinite, Medal of Honor 2, XCOM, Borderlands 2,......

Boring, boring, boring, boring!!!!!!!!!

Again, I am still protesting for not letting me to join the world of Battlefield 3.

Voon
09-09-2012, 06:21 AM
"X-COM: Enemy Unknown and Borderlands 2 are boring games!"

Umm...

squirrel
09-09-2012, 06:56 AM
"X-COM: Enemy Unknown and Borederlands 2 are boring games!"

Umm...

They need to be innovative to deliver something new, at least new to PC (i dont have game console so anything not on PC is new to me). Otherwise, we are talking about USD50-60 for a game (or USD30-50 for East Asia version, tend to be lower than western versions, I dont know about game distribution in Malaysia but I guess East Asia pricing is also applicable in Southeast Asia?).

Seriously, if I am permitted to play Battlefield 3 with my own statistics, Battlefield 3 will be absolutely new to me since I had only tried out its alpha demo.

BTW if this really turns to be a boring gaming season, we may consider having traveling trips to Malaysia? I just returned from your country and found out that your country is truly amazing. Good comfortable climate and a lot of interesting sites to visit, good food, too!

icemann
09-09-2012, 07:29 AM
They need to be innovative to deliver something new, at least new to PC

No they don't. Why do you think almost nobody bought the last Syndicate game.

Just do more of the same, with better graphics/sound/music. In XCOM's case that's pretty much what they did and the public can't wait to play it (myself included).

NoodleFighter
09-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Natural Selection 2 and Far Cry 3 will satisfy me

Voon
09-09-2012, 08:09 AM
They need to be innovative to deliver something new, at least new to PC (i dont have game console so anything not on PC is new to me). Otherwise, we are talking about USD50-60 for a game (or USD30-50 for East Asia version, tend to be lower than western versions, I dont know about game distribution in Malaysia but I guess East Asia pricing is also applicable in Southeast Asia?).

Seriously, if I am permitted to play Battlefield 3 with my own statistics, Battlefield 3 will be absolutely new to me since I had only tried out its alpha demo.

BTW if this really turns to be a boring gaming season, we may consider having traveling trips to Malaysia? I just returned from your country and found out that your country is truly amazing. Good comfortable climate and a lot of interesting sites to visit, good food, too!

Dude, I've seen the bits of gameplay in X-Com and it was pretty good on what they're working on. Plus, nobody had done this kind of thing in years besides some Japanese game companies. So, it more of a refreshing change compared to the bajillion MMOs and FPS or MMOFPS the gaming industry have crapping out these days.

And yeah, glad to hear that! It'll be sunny (or a bit rainy... maybe) all year around so, don't worry about the weather if you're planning to make trips here. I think you'll love Tioman or Perhentian if you love islands but make trips to KL or Georgetown if you're more of a city type of guy. The best food can be found in either the north or the east coast, imo.

Derps
09-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Chivalry: MW, Hotline Miami, Xenonauts...

Heliocentric
09-09-2012, 08:17 AM
It's a shame there is not a way to play games from the past that you skipped/missed.

Patrick Swayze
09-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Clicked the article. Thought we were getting trolled. Still might be.

Nalano
09-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm in MMO mode, so I really couldn't care less what releases in the next couple of months, as my gaming schedule until December is 85% Guild Wars 2, 15% not-Guild Wars 2. December I will re-assess, and if the game hasn't totally fallen apart, the following few months will look broadly similar.

Also, I don't think anybody cares about BlOps 2 aside from console monkeys, but there is some legitimate shit to look forward to with Borderlands 2 and XCom.

Bleekill
09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty psyched for XCOM and will probably pick up Torchlight 2. Borderlands 2 will be cool but doubt I'll get it at launch. BF3 is fun but I burned out on it even before that whole subscription thing started.

Also what about Hawken? I'm hoping beta will start soon. And what about Hitman Absolution?

Flint
09-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Probably the most exciting autumn season in gaming in ages for me in terms of the amount of interesting games.

c-Row
09-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Again, I am still protesting for not letting me to join the world of Battlefield 3.

Why would you want to? It's just an unexciting sequel of an already established franchise.

Drake Sigar
09-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Look harder. Here's the unique IPs I'm likely going to be buying:

Out Now - Alpha Polaris & Frozen Synapse. Was just released as a DVD version.

September 28, 2012 - War of the Roses. Mount & Blade style multiplayer combat with more realistic graphics.

October 12th - Of Orcs and Men. An RPG in which you're an orc warrior of a tribe fighting for freedom against the vile humans.

October 26th - Lucius. Play a little boy possessed by the devil who must brutally murder the resident of a house without anyone suspecting him.

And Dishonoured, which you've mentioned. A boring Autumn? Far from it. I'll probably have to get some of these later because I can't afford that many releases in such a short space of time. I won't include X-Com in the list because it's a... 'reimagining', but it's my most wanted game this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpCtgNN6g-E

Ravelle
09-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't know about you Squirrel but I have a huge backlog besides my anticipated games.

Mohorovicic
09-09-2012, 10:07 AM
So if it's not new, it's boring?

Why do you even post here if you never play videogames?

P.S. Sleeping Dogs was GTA in China. BORING.

NathanH
09-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I have to say I'm not particularly excited about anything upcoming apart from Torchlight 2 and the Duels of the Planeswalkers expansion. I'll probably get XCOM too because it's a turn based strategy game and so must be bought, but it's not exactly exciting me. But I seem to have lost the ability to play AAA games that aren't called Mass Effect, so probably that's mostly to blame.

Fortunately I have loads of older games to play, and Football Manager never gets boring.

ado
09-09-2012, 10:32 AM
My backlog aside I know I'll be playing XCOM and Dishonoured, maybe even Borderlands 2... So I don't really think that this autumn is so grim. And sure maybe none of these games are really original, but then again truly original games come out once in a blue moon. If you want original then maybe you need to consider playing Dark Souls.

I do find it funny that you take Sleeping Dogs as your jumping off point for this thread, a game that I find utterly bland and derivative.

Mohorovicic
09-09-2012, 11:27 AM
I thought this was going to be another crap year, but honestly now the (potentially) good games are just piling up. Dark Souls now, then Borderlands 2, Firefall, HAWKEN, Mechwarrior Online, Dishono(u)red, Far Cry 3... okay Far Cry 3 as potentially good might be pushing it, but along with BLOPS 2 I will certainly try it at the very least. And of course EVE gets a renewal that will make it decidedly playable before end of the year.

Bankrotas
09-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Torchlight 2?

elephant god
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Torchlight 2?
I was thinking of that, first an foremost, especially because it does pretty much nothing new, and I'm still highly anticipating it.

Not to mention all the little indie games that are coming out between now and Christmas. Hotline Miami, FTL, to name the ones I know that are coming, and there's always a new hit surprise around the corner...

Oh and once I get into the Planetside 2 beta, I doubt there will even be time for much else.

vinraith
09-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Hegemony: Rome
Alea Jacta Est
CK2: Legacy of Rome
Drox Operative
FTL
Occult Chronicles
Torchlight 2

That's more stuff than I'll have time to play in the next year, I really don't see a problem.

pakoito
09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I must be the only one still going through his backlog. Also, FLT, GW2, TL2, War of the Roses, NS2...

pakoito
09-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Drox Operative
Occult ChroniclesQ3 2012? I thought they were due for 2013.

vinraith
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I must be the only one still going through his backlog. Also, FLT, GW2, TL2, War of the Roses, NS2...

You're very much not. I could easily take the next couple of years off buying new stuff entirely and not go wanting for stuff to play. I'd feel bad not funding the kinds of projects I enjoy, though, so I've mostly just tried to cut it down to no more than a game a month.

Q3 2012? I thought they were due for 2013.

Vic said "late October" for Occult Chronicles awhile back, if there's been an update to that I'm not aware of it.

As to Drox, considering the excellent state of the beta I find it hard to believe it will be too much longer. It doesn't have an official release date, though, so I suppose it all depends on how much additional content they decide to cram in there.

Pertusaria
09-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the list of cool games I'd forgotten since you mentioned them last, Vinraith!

On topic, it can't be too much longer before Driftmoon gets finished, or at least gets more of the plot completed. I'm looking forward to seeing how it winds up. There's also the expansion for Unity of Command, which may or may not come out this year, but it'll be a while before I get through the base game. On top of the large and ever-increasing number of games I'd like to buy and haven't been able to yet, and a few that I own and haven't played (e.g., I got Witcher 1 free from GOG after the Botanicula Humble Bundle fuss), I don't have to worry about boredom anytime soon.

Colonel J
09-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the list of cool games I'd forgotten since you mentioned them last, Vinraith!

Aye +1 to that. and +1 to the new purchases this month, curses.

I loved Din's Curse and I'd totally forgotten about Drox Operative, I just checked out some of the beta videos on Youtube and like what I saw so I've preordered. I didn't realise it was so close to ready, nigh time this one had some RPS coverage it looks awesome.

pakoito
09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
You're very much not. I could easily take the next couple of years off buying new stuff entirely and not go wanting for stuff to play. I'd feel bad not funding the kinds of projects I enjoy, though, so I've mostly just tried to cut it down to no more than a game a month.For me it's even worse. I've been stuck with the netbook (again) for 6 months, and I bought like 10 games that don't run on it. There are also a couple new discoveries like M&B, plus my usual offenders. And given that I don't do "storyline" games almost all are match-based or session-based, so any amount of hours can be spent on them.

mr.doo
09-09-2012, 08:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Star Lords is also due this autumn.

mickygor
09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
My autumn's not going to be boring, but that's almost entirely due to work, not video games. GW2 was the only game I was looking forward to this year, and that's already come out.

CommunistHamster
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Dishonoured, Carrier Command, Far Cry 3. And my disgustingly large number of unplayed games.

mrki
10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, XCOM, Carrier Command, lots of as yet unplayed games and many to be replayed. Not exactly afraid of being bored.

christ87
10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
I wonder how Assassins creed 3 will do on PC? It may be a month wait but it should be cracking, youve also got hitman absolution coming soon!

Kingmarzo
10-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I was just thinking that this Autumn will be pretty amazing for PC games with Borderlands 2, Dishonored, X-com and loads of other games coming out

Carra
10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm looking forward to the new Hitman game and the next WoW expansion. Currently playing Guild Wars 2 and some FTL. If Torchlight 2 or Natural Selection turn out to be good, I'll play them too.

Plus, still have a ton of game from the first half of the year I still have to play. Or from last year... I won't get bored soon.

Makariel
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I'll be playing Dark Souls until XCom comes out. Then I'll play XCom until I crushed the aliens in ironman-mode, which might take a while. In between there's time for Dishonored and FTL and the rest of my back-catalogue.

elphaba
10-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Sleeping Dogs is such a great game, but it's too damn short that I finished it few days after I returned from my traveling trip. I guess I didn't input more than 15 hours in it and not motivated to play through unfinished side missions after completion of the storyline.

Aside from Dishonored, all other upcoming titles are unexciting sequels of already established franchises: Far Cry 3, COD Black Ops 2, Bioshock Infinite, Medal of Honor 2, XCOM, Borderlands 2,......

Boring, boring, boring, boring!!!!!!!!!

I agree. This whole year has been pretty much crap. Even the things I was looking forward to turned out bad. I was jonesing for Darksiders2 all year and then to get smacked in the face with a gamebreaking bug 10 minutes in... Don't even get me started on how terrible GW2 turned out to be. I tried the sleeping dogs demo but it didn't grab me. I am hesitantly looking forward to torchlight2 so here's hoping they don't screw that up. Borderlands2 might be fun but the first one bored me a couple hours in. I've actually put 200+ hours into Path of Exile and it's still in beta... Xcom might be fun but it's been at least a decade since I played the original so who knows...

I can't believe the number of people actually planning on buying Dishonored! With the pre-order BS going on, I thought we were all boycotting them. I sure am.

ambing1
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
i think there are many other good games out there that will occupy you longer without getting bored. you just have to look.

Sparkasaurusmex
10-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I can't believe the number of people actually planning on buying Dishonored! With the pre-order BS going on, I thought we were all boycotting them. I sure am.
The game looks too awesome for that.

It's too bad about the bug in Darksiders II, because that is a great game. Any luck trying to find a cause/solution so you can play?

Flint
10-09-2012, 03:53 PM
It's one of the most interesting games of the year, which has far more impact on my personal buying decisions than some preorder faffle (which doesn't really have any impact on me) does.

elphaba
10-09-2012, 04:06 PM
The game looks too awesome for that.

It's too bad about the bug in Darksiders II, because that is a great game. Any luck trying to find a cause/solution so you can play?

I've looked around and it's pretty common. It's the first spot in the tutorial where you are supposed to grab a ledge halfway up a wall and then jump to the top. Death gets stuck on the top edge in a sliding animation. I returned it to target and they put it in the display xbox and it did the same thing, opened a second copy, same thing, just got store credit (bastards wouldn't give me cash though I had the receipt).

It's one of the most interesting games of the year, which has far more impact on my personal buying decisions than some preorder faffle (which doesn't really have any impact on me) does.

Did you find a way to get ALL the pre-order bonuses? If not, then it does have an impact on you since you will be missing out on gameplay features.

Flint
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Did you find a way to get ALL the pre-order bonuses? If not, then it does have an impact on you since you will be missing out on gameplay features.
I... don't really care? They all look like your typical overpowered/balance-breaking additional equipment/skill bonus faffle, I'm pretty happy to have just what the base game offers. Hence why I said it's got no impact on me - the whole faffle doesn't bother me because I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

vinraith
10-09-2012, 04:22 PM
I sometimes forget that there are still people who primarily buy and play AAA games, and judge the quality of a year by its AAA output. I wonder how much longer that can last.

Nalano
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
They all look like your typical overpowered/balance-breaking additional equipment/skill bonus faffle

This.

10char

vinraith
10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I... don't really care? They all look like your typical overpowered/balance-breaking additional equipment/skill bonus faffle, I'm pretty happy to have just what the base game offers. Hence why I said it's got no impact on me - the whole faffle doesn't bother me because I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I don't really care about Dishonored, but preorder bonuses of this kind are almost always the kinds of items I'd pay to keep out of my game.

I probably shouldn't give them ideas...

Flint
10-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't really care about Dishonored, but preorder bonuses of this kind are almost always the kinds of items I'd pay to keep out of my game.
I wish you could at least have a toggle for all the bonus stuff. I preordered Borderlands 2 with some friends to take advantage of the 4-pack pride reduction, not really keen about starting the game with all the crap the preorder chucks at me.

elphaba
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I sometimes forget that there are still people who primarily buy and play AAA games, and judge the quality of a year by its AAA output. I wonder how much longer that can last.

Too true. On the other hand, it's tough to find small (indie) games with fun replayability. Dredmor is one of those rare finds but things like gemini rue, solar, vessel, tiny bang, cthulhu and paotrspd3 all have little replayability.

If you know any off the top of your head, please let us know. We all miss things from time to time.

Sparkasaurusmex
10-09-2012, 05:00 PM
they put it in the display xbox

Oh, wrong system! I experienced no such thing in the PC version.

Drake Sigar
10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Stop saying faffle. Stop it!

I always have minor concerns that some of the content peddled as bonuses should have been made available to everyone because the game isn't quite complete without them. Saint's Row the Third for example. If we're talking about preorder crap like DA Origins where they gave away a fairy meaningless in-game item through every store, I don't mind.

Nalano
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I always have minor concerns that some of the content peddled as bonuses should have been made available to everyone because the game isn't quite complete without them.

Two things:

1) You don't need a cheat weapon for a game to be complete.
2) What is "complete," anyway? If you are able to enjoy the game from beginning to finish, the game is complete. If you are not able to enjoy a game from beginning to finish because somebody else is enjoying the game with extra bits on top, then the problem is you.

MOMMY! BILLY'S ICE CREAM CONE HAS SPRINKLES AND GUMMY BEARS! MINE ONLY HAS SPRINKLES! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

vinraith
10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Too true. On the other hand, it's tough to find small (indie) games with fun replayability. Dredmor is one of those rare finds but things like gemini rue, solar, vessel, tiny bang, cthulhu and paotrspd3 all have little replayability.

If you know any off the top of your head, please let us know. We all miss things from time to time.

My entire list on the previous page comes to mind. I think we're playing very different indie games, you and I. I can list some more if you need me to, the problem is less coming up with examples and more finding the time to type them all out.

elphaba
10-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Two things:

1) You don't need a cheat weapon for a game to be complete.
2) What is "complete," anyway? If you are able to enjoy the game from beginning to finish, the game is complete. If you are not able to enjoy a game from beginning to finish because somebody else is enjoying the game with extra bits on top, then the problem is you.

MOMMY! BILLY'S ICE CREAM CONE HAS SPRINKLES AND GUMMY BEARS! MINE ONLY HAS SPRINKLES! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

The problem comes in when money is involved. Let's keep using your example. If you go to <insert ice cream shop of choice> and order two cones identical except that one has additional gummy bears on it, they are going to charge you more for the gummy bears. If one version of the game were cheaper without the extras, then I would agree with you.

Drake Sigar
10-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Two things:

You don't need a cheat weapon for a game to be complete.
Ok, two things:

If we're talking about preorder crap like DA Origins where they gave away a fairy meaningless in-game item through every store, I don't mind. 1) I said this right afterwards. You probably didn't see it because you were blinded with fury at my putdown of Saint's Row 3.

2) Saint's Row 3 sucks my hairy balls.

Nalano
10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
The problem comes in when money is involved. Let's keep using your example. If you go to <insert ice cream shop of choice> and order two cones identical except that one has additional gummy bears on it, they are going to charge you more for the gummy bears. If one version of the game were cheaper without the extras, then I would agree with you.

I know people who invariably order hot dogs with sauerkraut and relish - not because they like sauerkraut and relish, but because sauerkraut and relish are free to add on. When I order a sandwich, the price is based on the meat and the cheese, not the condiments or lack thereof. Likewise, in most ice cream parlors I know, the first two toppings are included with the cost. If you get no toppings, are you losing out?

Ok, two things:
1) I said this right afterwards. You probably didn't see it because you were blinded with fury at my putdown of Saint's Row 3.

2) Saint's Row 3 sucks my hairy balls.

Nothing in Saints Row 3's DLC was necessary for the enjoyment of Saints Row 3. My comment is, as such, pertinent, even with your flagrantly wishful assumption as to how blind my rage is.

elphaba
10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I know people who invariably order hot dogs with sauerkraut and relish - not because they like sauerkraut and relish, but because sauerkraut and relish are free to add on. When I order a sandwich, the price is based on the meat and the cheese, not the condiments or lack thereof. Likewise, in most ice cream parlors I know, the first two toppings are included with the cost. If you get no toppings, are you losing out?

In that case, couldn't I also have toppings/condiments if I chose to?

Pertusaria
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
it's tough to find small (indie) games with fun replayability.

To name two off the top of my head, Fate of the World and Europa Universalis III (although that isn't small, some people might not call Paradox "indie", the usual caveats).

The ones you've mentioned are mostly puzzle and adventure type games as far as I can tell (not sure about Solar and paotrspd3), and you're right that these tend to be things you play through once, maybe twice in the case of puzzles. There's a lot of other games made by indie developers, though - whether you find these fun is something you have to work out. If you like Dredmor, most of the RPS articles about Dredmor have lists of other roguelikes to try in the comments, which could be interesting.

Out of interest, how many AAA games (or big games from major developers) do you get much replay value out of? I rarely buy anything that could be considered AAA because of cost and the limits of my computer, so I'm curious. I can see how Dishonoured will be worth replaying if it lives up to expectations, but I can't see myself playing Skyrim twice, for instance.

Nalano
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
In that case, couldn't I also have toppings/condiments if I chose to?

By buying from those stores, sure.

Drake Sigar
10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
What if I want all or most of the toppings/condiments? I for one, can't eat my dinner unless all the different foods are skewered neatly with a single fork with the different flavours and textures all vying for my attention. Yes I put HP sauce on gravy, deal with it.

elephant god
10-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Deus Ex:HR perfectly illustrates the DLC thing discussed in this thread. Some of the added content really breaks the game. Your inventory is spammed full of huge and powerful weapons right from the start, some of them even allow working around (core) game mechanics (hacking).

Missing Link then is a proper expansion. few months after the game, completely independent section, interwoven with main game's storyline.

the only really hateful choice was excluding that ridiculously short mission where you save the son of the chinese mob boss. Ridiculous to leave that out of the game, especially as he later appears in a cut-scene at the port.

elphaba
11-09-2012, 12:08 AM
To name two off the top of my head, Fate of the World and Europa Universalis III (although that isn't small, some people might not call Paradox "indie", the usual caveats).

The ones you've mentioned are mostly puzzle and adventure type games as far as I can tell (not sure about Solar and paotrspd3), and you're right that these tend to be things you play through once, maybe twice in the case of puzzles. There's a lot of other games made by indie developers, though - whether you find these fun is something you have to work out. If you like Dredmor, most of the RPS articles about Dredmor have lists of other roguelikes to try in the comments, which could be interesting.

Out of interest, how many AAA games (or big games from major developers) do you get much replay value out of? I rarely buy anything that could be considered AAA because of cost and the limits of my computer, so I'm curious. I can see how Dishonoured will be worth replaying if it lives up to expectations, but I can't see myself playing Skyrim twice, for instance.

Big games with replay value (for me) listed with steam hours if applicable:
Dead Island: 306 hours
Fallout 3
Fallout NV: 337 hours
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Saints Row 3: 123 hours
Skyrim (I have played a few different characters decent way in but not finished with any): 88 hours
Batman AA: 130 hours
DXHR: 111 hours
GTA4: 105 hours
GTA VC
Max Payne 1 and 2
Portal 1 and 2 (59 hours for 2)
Psychonauts: 151 hours
Kingdoms of Amalur (does that count? I finished it with 3 characters)
Civ5: 421 hours (holy crap, who knew)

These are just the recent/steam games too. I've been gaming for decades.

There are some indie games that hold up, path of exile, spacechem (86 hours), SEIV,...

elphaba
11-09-2012, 12:12 AM
By buying from those stores, sure.

I think I understand:

So one creamery has sprinkles and one has gummy bears. You would have to buy an ice cream cone at each to get both toppings but they are both the same ice cream.

I'll have to ponder that.

pakoito
11-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Portal 1 and 2 (59 hours for 2)
Psychonauts: 151 hours
Wat? How? This are perfect 8-hour-game offenders. What's the point of re-running Bioshock?

Pertusaria
11-09-2012, 12:37 AM

Neat, thank you for replying. You probably play a lot more than I do, judging by hours on recent releases, and that may be why you're at more risk of being bored. I don't have double-digit play times in many of my Steam games - exceptions are Dredmor, Terraria, Bastion and Avadon. Of those, I'd rate only Dredmor as highly replayable - Terraria singleplayer stops being exciting when you've explored to a certain point, and Bastion and Avadon are plot-driven with only two endings (AFAIK).

I understand Deus Ex (branching paths of more-or-less equal interest) and Civ, and games where there's more than one race/class where the choice has an effect on gameplay. For some of the others though, is it really replay, or are you trying to get to 100% completion by finding all the hidden areas or whatever?

elphaba
11-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Neat, thank you for replying. You probably play a lot more than I do, judging by hours on recent releases, and that may be why you're at more risk of being bored. I don't have double-digit play times in many of my Steam games - exceptions are Dredmor, Terraria, Bastion and Avadon. Of those, I'd rate only Dredmor as highly replayable - Terraria singleplayer stops being exciting when you've explored to a certain point, and Bastion and Avadon are plot-driven with only two endings (AFAIK).

I understand Deus Ex (branching paths of more-or-less equal interest) and Civ, and games where there's more than one race/class where the choice has an effect on gameplay. For some of the others though, is it really replay, or are you trying to get to 100% completion by finding all the hidden areas or whatever?

I don't do it for achievements. I can't stand achievements. I don't need to be congratulated for pressing a button. I genuinely do it for fun so it depends on the game. With most I play until I get bored and I put it away to come back another day. That sometimes means I finish it and instantly start over. Bioshock was different the second time through since I knew the story and it made me feel giddy to catch little things that made more sense. With portal there are different ways to solve many of the puzzles and they are great games. Psychonauts touched me in ways almost no other game has so I've played through it numerous times, always with a gap of time to let it fade, not really sure how to describe it...

kstress71
11-09-2012, 03:56 AM
What's the point of re-running Bioshock?

Oh, I don't know. How about for the fun of it? Every game doesn't have to be about how quickly you can complete it and get the achievements, etc. I can go back through games repeatedly if I enjoy the world, the gameplay, etc.

And for the haters, Bioshock 2 was a better game than the original. It didn't feel as fresh, because it was a sequel and Rapture could never wow someone like the first time, but the gameplay was certainly more engaging and diverse.

Mohorovicic
11-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Wat? How? This are perfect 8-hour-game offenders. What's the point of re-running Bioshock?

In the specific example of Bioshock, after the 2/3 twist it's interesting to go back and see how many codephrases were really said.

Hypernetic
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM
What is this, some kind of "I am more hipster than you because I love indie games" epeen contest?

Mohorovicic
11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Isn't entirety of RPS?

Pertusaria
11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
It really wasn't intended to be - sorry if that's what it sounds like. It's interesting to find out what someone else's reasons for playing games are.

Heliocentric
11-09-2012, 09:16 AM
What is this, some kind of "I am more hipster than you because I love indie games" epeen contest?

Fuck $20(or above) POS indie games. If you are going to cut corners in development cut the freaking price.

I'd scream about solium infernum in the streets if they could get the price down or fix a few things (match organisation, tool tips, historical logs) but nope. Nada.

Hypernetic
11-09-2012, 06:25 PM
It really wasn't intended to be - sorry if that's what it sounds like. It's interesting to find out what someone else's reasons for playing games are.

I play games that are fun, regardless of their production budget.

Shooop
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Borderlands 2 and Dishonored are all you need at this point from AAA titles. Boatloads of replayability in both of those, enough to last a year probably.

Is this a troll thread or have you not really kept up on either of those games? If the latter, get to it because they look great.

Nalano
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Is this a troll thread or have you not really kept up on either of those games? If the latter, get to it because they look great.

I think he was making a point about how everything is a sequel. He's right in that part, and he's generally right about their quality, but that doesn't mean you can't like the stuff that actually have some things going for them.

elphaba
12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Borderlands 2 and Dishonored are all you need at this point from AAA titles. Boatloads of replayability in both of those, enough to last a year probably.

I don't believe this is a troll thread.

Borderlands2 is iffy for me, I got bored a few hours into the first.

Regarding Dishonered, we've beaten it to death in this thread but that does remind me, if it were truly something a lot of people were looking forward to, wouldn't it have its own thread? It doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it... (outside this thread).

Shooop
13-09-2012, 01:24 AM
What makes me wonder is how he's dismissing just about everything so quickly?

Borderlands 2 may not be original at all, but it doesn't have to be because it's designed to be a pick-up and play with some friends game. It's another shoot-and-loot game if you play it by yourself but that's not how it's supposed to be played at all.

Dishonored though looks more and more like the spiritual successor to Thief everyone wanted. The developer's attitude of "Oh a player did that? Let's make it a feature then!" is very refreshing.

If all a person holds as criteria for a worthwhile game is how innovative it is, then there is literally nothing that's come out the past few decades that's worthwhile.

Mohorovicic
13-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Borderlands 2 may not be original at all, but it doesn't have to be because it's designed to be a pick-up and play with some friends game.

Ironic considering Borderlands in pretty much a sole example of action RPG-FPS hybrid.

Heliocentric
13-09-2012, 09:01 AM
If all a person holds as criteria for a worthwhile game is how innovative it is, then there is literally nothing that's come out the past few decades that's worthwhile. Do you even- whatever, I can't be bothered.

Winged Nazgul
13-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Got too much on my plate ATM.

Between TSW, GW2, PS2 beta, MWO beta, and upcoming Rift expansion. Not to mention my Steam collection is glaring at me and demanding some quality time.

Jesus_Phish
13-09-2012, 01:37 PM
While you're being bored over there, me and my three buddies who finished Borderlands 1 are going to be over here have a whale of a time playing Borderlands 2.

I'll also be enjoying Dishonored in the downtime of Borderlands 2 and if between now an it's release I play and finish Ass Creed 2, I'll enjoy Ass Creed 3!

Even though two of those games are dirty sequels and neither are glorious indie games! (I'm a bad person for this yes?)

Shooop
13-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you even- whatever, I can't be bothered.
Everything is derivative of something else. EVERYTHING.

It's not innovation alone that's made games worth playing, it's lots of other things.

Tikey
13-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Everything is derivative of something else. EVERYTHING.

It's not innovation alone that's made games worth playing, it's lots of other things.

Innovation is not creating something out of thin air. A new application of a know mechanic or technology can be innovative. It means using the current resources in a different way.
There's been a lot of innovation (can vary in scale) in games during the last decade.
With your logic there hasn't been innovation for centuries.

Nalano
13-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Innovation is not creating something out of thin air. A new application of a know mechanic or technology can be innovative. It means using the current resources in a different way.
There's been a lot of innovation (can vary in scale) in games during the last decade.
With your logic there hasn't been innovation for centuries.

And that includes the computer he's on and the internet he's using to tell us there is nothing new under the sun.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 03:42 PM
And that includes the computer he's on and the internet he's using to tell us there is nothing new under the sun.

Go-go hyperbole and purposeful misquotation! I'm starting to see this is a trend with you.

Jesus_Phish
13-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Go-go hyperbole and purposeful misquotation! I'm starting to see this is a trend with you.

You said "Everything is derivative of something else. EVERYTHING." so he's hardly going on a hyperbole.

Nalano
13-09-2012, 04:16 PM
You said "Everything is derivative of something else. EVERYTHING." so he's hardly going on a hyperbole.

Don't forget "If all a person holds as criteria for a worthwhile game is how innovative it is, then there is literally nothing that's come out the past few decades that's worthwhile," which includes all of computer gaming.

So, it's more like a logical conclusion.

Hypernetic
13-09-2012, 04:22 PM
This is good

Draakon
13-09-2012, 04:47 PM
So, let me get this straight: You are complaining about some yet to be released video games, saying they are boring and unless you had a press copy or something, haven't been able to play yet? Yeah, way to judge a book by its cover.

Nalano
13-09-2012, 04:49 PM
So, let me get this straight: You are complaining about some yet to be released video games, saying they are boring and unless you had a press copy or something, haven't been able to play yet? Yeah, way to judge a book by its cover.

BlOps 2.

I will so judge that book by its cover.

NathanH
13-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I judge forum members by their avatar, am I a bad person too?

Rauten
13-09-2012, 05:31 PM

So you don't exist, then?

Winged Nazgul
13-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Only because you won't allow us the same courtesy.

Nalano
13-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Seriously. Now you gotta make an avatar.

We have our scorecards ready.

Drake Sigar
13-09-2012, 06:01 PM
It's more like checking the back and judging it based on the synopsis, or other books in the series. Sure it's not entirely fair, and I don't agree with the OP's opinion, but pre-judging our entertainment seems quite a sensible thing to do when we have such limited time on this earth, and don't want to waste it playing Hard Truckin' 5: Truck Harder.

Mohorovicic
14-09-2012, 06:37 AM

Lack of an avatar is a choice, just like the avatar itself.

Totally can be judged.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Ironic considering Borderlands in pretty much a sole example of action RPG-FPS hybrid.

Hellgate: London.

Hypernetic
14-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Hellgate: London.

lol

10characters

c-Row
14-09-2012, 08:37 AM
lol

10characters

Why lol? It's both an action RPG and a first person shooter (for ranged classes at least). Borderlands didn't come first, it just did it much better.

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Why lol? It's both an action RPG and a first person shooter (for ranged classes at least). Borderlands didn't come first, it just did it much better.

The key to his "lol" is answered in your "for ranged classes at least" part. Morrowind had a first person camera, it had arrows for shooting and was an RPG, but by no stretch of the imagination was it an RPG-FPS game.

Hypernetic
14-09-2012, 09:11 AM
The "shooting" was also more like targeted MMO abilities than an FPS.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 09:12 AM
The key to his "lol" is answered in your "for ranged classes at least" part.

I still don't see the point. First person is the default setting for all ranged classes and hardly a bonus.

Morrowind had a first person camera, it had arrows for shooting and was an RPG, but by no stretch of the imagination was it an RPG-FPS game.

Nobody said it is.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 09:18 AM
The "shooting" was also more like targeted MMO abilities than an FPS.

Borderlands has its stat-based accuracy value which influenced bullet spreading rather than a "shoot straight at where you are pointing at" mechanic like traditional FPS's.

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 09:24 AM
First person in Morrowind is the default too and hardly a bonus. I know nobody said it was an RPG-FPS. It's an RPG the same as Hellgate is an RPG. They just happen to have a first person view point. Hell, so does WoW.

The point is none of these mentioned are RPG-FPS games where Bordlerlands very clearly is an RPG FPS.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 09:38 AM
It's an RPG the same as Hellgate is an RPG.

I disagree. Morrowind is an open world RPG with a great amount of player/world interaction through various other means than just fighting alone. Hellgate is a fast-paced action RPG like Diablo with the classic "kill monsters, loot stuff, find better items" threadmill and nothing else to do, and so is Borderlands.

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 09:48 AM
By the same I meant they're both RPGs,and their common link is they have a first person view if you choose to use it.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 09:56 AM
So the FPS part of Borderlands qualifies as such because you can't switch to an optional third person perspective? (unless you start fiddling with files and settings)

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 10:21 AM
What else would it qualify as other than an FPS-RPG? It's core gameplay mechanics are FPS, there is absolutely no question about it. There is no other way to play the game, no other way of controlling the character. It is a game in which you shoot things entirely within a first person perspective, so much so that I barely even remember what my character looks like unless I see someone else playing it. It's also has the levelling system and questing system of a Role Playing Game. Thus making it an FPS-RPG or an RPG-FPS whichever you rather put it as.

The other two can be played first person or third person. You can play them as ranged classes or melee classes. You can play one guy in Borderlands as partially melee, but you still use guns to shoot things because it's an FPS.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Well, kudos for apparently playing the driving sections blindfolded, then.

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/152286-destructoid-review-borderlands/Borderlands3-620x.jpg

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/borderlands_jousting2.jpg

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 10:39 AM
The driving sections are in 3rd person because firstly the driving mechanics in that game are terrible to begin with and second they'd be made even worse by having it in first person. Also, you don't play most of the game in a vehicle do you? You can't play the whole game inside of one just so you can get a 3rd person perspective.

I suppose because of that we have to call it a 3rd-person driving sim/RPG-FPS game from now on? Or we could be realistic and call it for what it is.

Your argument is that Hellgate London is an RPG-FPS, when it's not. If anything it's more aRPG (as you said diablo) with a very small element of FPS in it if you decide to play a ranged class. That doesn't make it FPS.

"Melee classes are set to a third-person view and cannot select first-person perspective, whereas ranged classes default to a first-person view but can switch to third-person if so desired. Precision aiming is not required to use most weapons; which track their targets, "lock-on", or carpet an area with explosives" So HG:L locks melee players out in 3rd person and the only weapons that need to actually be used in First Person are things like sniper rifles. Well I remember in GTA I needed to use First Person when using a sniper rifle, so is that an FPS now? No. It's not. And neither is Hellgate.

c-Row
14-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh well, let's just agree to disagree. I still think Borderlands can't really be called original.

elphaba
14-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh well, let's just agree to disagree. I still think Borderlands can't really be called original.

QFT.

It was way too boring to be original.

Hypernetic
14-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Borderlands has its stat-based accuracy value which influenced bullet spreading rather than a "shoot straight at where you are pointing at" mechanic like traditional FPS's.

Pretty much every FPS has this.

Nalano
14-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Pretty much every FPS has this.

Indeed, it's largely what differentiates the million almost-identical weapons in your average manshoot's arsenal.

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I can't think of a single game where "shoot straight at where you are pointing at" is how the shooting works. The closest I can think of are hit scan weapons but even those have en element of RNG for the spray, otherwise fps games would be very boring and nobody would ever pick anything but the gun that does either the most damage or fires the fastest.

I also heard that RPGs use hidden RNG dice rolls behind the screens, but that's just crazy talk.

elphaba
14-09-2012, 06:18 PM
I can't think of a single game where "shoot straight at where you are pointing at" is how the shooting works. The closest I can think of are hit scan weapons but even those have en element of RNG for the spray, otherwise fps games would be very boring and nobody would ever pick anything but the gun that does either the most damage or fires the fastest.

I also heard that RPGs use hidden RNG dice rolls behind the screens, but that's just crazy talk.

Erm, what?

Any Doom.
Any Unreal.
Any Quake.
Any Far Cry.
All those COD games?
Either Wolfenstein.

It goes on and on...

Nalano
14-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Erm, what?

Any Doom.
Any Unreal.
Any Quake.
Any Far Cry.
All those COD games?
Either Wolfenstein.

It goes on and on...

Dude, have you actually played those games and thus are really missing the point that much, or are you just listing traditional FPSs without understanding how their mechanics work?

elphaba
14-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Dude, have you actually played those games and thus are really missing the point that much, or are you just listing traditional FPSs without understanding how their mechanics work?

Maybe I'm not understanding. When I look down the scope of a sniper rifle in UT and put the crosshairs on a head and click the mouse, heads explode. Is that not "shoot straight at where you are pointing at" ?

Jesus_Phish
14-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding. When I look down the scope of a sniper rifle in UT and put the crosshairs on a head and click the mouse, heads explode. Is that not "shoot straight at where you are pointing at" ?

And then what happens when you do the same with something like a machine gun? Same thing? Thought not.

Hypernetic
14-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Because scoped sniper rifles usually have 0% spread in games ("stat based accuracy value"). Now fire the same weapon from the hip and zomg it's less accurate than a musket now for some reason (hint: it's "stat based accuracy value" has changed).

Now fire an LMG, SMG, or assault rifle on full auto. Keep your crosshair on the same spot the whole time. Wait, what? All your bullets didn't hit the exact same spot?!?! There must be some kind of stat based accuracy value at work here causing bullets to spread!

elphaba
14-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Because scoped sniper rifles usually have 0% spread in games ("stat based accuracy value"). Now fire the same weapon from the hip and zomg it's less accurate than a musket now for some reason (hint: it's "stat based accuracy value" has changed).

Now fire an LMG, SMG, or assault rifle on full auto. Keep your crosshair on the same spot the whole time. Wait, what? All your bullets didn't hit the exact same spot?!?! There must be some kind of stat based accuracy value at work here causing bullets to spread!

Exactly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't remember these FPS games having stats.

P.S. You guys are very hostile. Geez. This is obviously not a forum I want to be part of.

Hypernetic
14-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Exactly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't remember these FPS games having stats.

P.S. You guys are very hostile. Geez. This is obviously not a forum I want to be part of.

The stats are behind the scenes.. How exactly do you think games work?

c-Row
14-09-2012, 07:54 PM

But you usually can't influence bullet spread via character stats in traditional FPS's. That's what the accuracy rating in Borderlands is for. Nor does Quake feature dozens of different rocket launchers or plasma guns which all differ in their own stats.

I don't think anybody got openly hostile on that particular topic so far. "Enthusiastically disagreeing" maybe, but we are far from name-calling or stuff like that.

bad guy
14-09-2012, 08:42 PM
@ OP
I find that PC (online) racing simulations have unlimited replayability.
Try some Live for Speed. The demo is like a free game.

Also there are some very good multiplayer mods out there.
Multi Theft Auto has lots of gamemodes with loads of of creative maps.
And if don't want to play this old shite like that, go for some Mechwarrior Living Legends.