PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands 2 Skill Tree builder online.

DeathPig
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
The skill tree builder for Borderlands 2, for the 4 characters has just gone live on the main site. No links as the site is not loading for me now. However, it looks promising. More features have been promised in the coming week. Makes me want the game more.

Looks like Gearbox and 2K are not holding back on anything this time. The Sir Hammelock trailer was one of the best made game trailers I have ever seen. It introduces new players to the concepts of the old game, and the older players still have something new to look at.

mrki
10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
...Back at the station, Jason is confronted by the son of a woman he slept with. After being accused of breaking up the kidís parents and visiting Hoyt, Jason begins to realize that he may have lost his way....

And in the game! (first time I'm using this, feels good :) )

Anyway, the page loads fine for me and the skill tree is working. Although there's not much to it, it's still nice to have a look at all the skills. Zero definitely my favourite due to the sniping tree (branch?), and Maya looks interesting as well. They all have more skills now, so different build will be more interesting and viable. I hope there's a way to redistribute the skill points.

DeathPig
10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
And in the game! (first time I'm using this, feels good :) )

Anyway, the page loads fine for me and the skill tree is working. Although there's not much to it, it's still nice to have a look at all the skills. Zero definitely my favourite due to the sniping tree (branch?), and Maya looks interesting as well. They all have more skills now, so different build will be more interesting and viable. I hope there's a way to redistribute the skill points.

I think they're going to use this skill tree thing, like those car blueprints you have in car sims, showing them off to other people. And resetting skill points and redistributing them was a feature in the first game, so no reason it's gonna be avoided in the second.

Flint
10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
All the characters seem interesting enough based on their skill trees. Which is good because in case my 4-pack purchase company decides to go for a 4-player game, I can choose pretty much any of them without stepping on other peeps' toes. Siren and Assassin seem most appealing though, will most likely start my singleplayer adventure with one of them.

LTK
10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I was thinking that I might go for a Siren character in BL2 because that was the only class I really neglected to play in the first game, but the way they seem to have mixed up the classes makes me reconsider. Because you can respec quite easily - they demonstrated in a gameplay video, if I recall correctly - I think I'm just going to choose the class that has the most interesting build varieties in all three skill trees. I just don't know yet which one that is.

Hypernetic
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I played siren at PAX and it's pretty damn OP in the cataclysm tree. I really wanted to play siren at release, but after looking at the trees for assassin I am reconsidering. I played a sniper on my first few playthroughs in BL1 and I'm not really interested in doing that again, but the cunning tree looks like it's right up my alley.

I love using intelligence, tactics, and subterfuge in games much more than I do brute force (which the siren is definitely brute force despite appearances).

gundato
10-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, Siren was also insanely powerful in the first game too. Although, it sort of evened out since a lot of the powers basically meant standing within a mile of a barrel would result in an explosion (making cover a LOT harder to use).

I had the most fun as Sniper in 1. Well, by "Sniper" I mean "I have the perk to let me shoot through shields, but I only use repeaters and revolvers". It was okay, but I did miss hosing people down and playing with shotguns.

Hypernetic
10-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Siren was also insanely powerful in the first game too. Although, it sort of evened out since a lot of the powers basically meant standing within a mile of a barrel would result in an explosion (making cover a LOT harder to use).

I had the most fun as Sniper in 1. Well, by "Sniper" I mean "I have the perk to let me shoot through shields, but I only use repeaters and revolvers". It was okay, but I did miss hosing people down and playing with shotguns.

Well the cunning tree looks like it would favor an SMG/Shotgun setup. Use the SMG to close the gap or against enemies you don't want to get close to. When you get close to a group of enemies use your action skill and throw kunais everywhere to mark them for death. Begin shotgun killing spree. Alternatively, if you are facing one big foe use your massive first strike melee damage out of stealth.

RebeccaHuff
15-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Before you start putting skill tree on your character, first of all you should learn the specialty of your characters and also know the perfect skill tree combo.

gundato
17-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Finally took a look at the skill tree thing. Pretty sure I am gonna play Axton (the Commando), or whatever his name is.

I loved the premise of Roland, but hated that the cooldown was so massive. But it looks like they fixed that. And the left branch turret DOES sound awesome (multiple guns and rocket barrages).

And, I figure, I'll have until I get to unlock my first point after the action skill (so level 6, I guess) before I decide if I want to use the turret or just go for the nuke (the nuke tree has a lot of nice passive boosts).

Jesus_Phish
17-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I'll definitely be going for Zero. I played one play through of BL1 as sniper, then another as pistols. Not keen on going for sniper again but Cunning looks ace.

gundato
17-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Just keep in mind if playing a sniper: I don't know how the co-op is planned to work this time (Steamworks, so at least it should work...) but even with a team of friends, getting non-sniper loot as a sniper was hell. You help support from afar, and all your buddies get first pick of any loot.

shaydeeadi
17-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I think cunning + shotgun will be deadly. Hope there is an equivalent to the Blast Hammer in this new one.

Jesus_Phish
17-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Just keep in mind if playing a sniper: I don't know how the co-op is planned to work this time (Steamworks, so at least it should work...) but even with a team of friends, getting non-sniper loot as a sniper was hell. You help support from afar, and all your buddies get first pick of any loot.

Did you have lame friends? I used snipers and a pistol as a side arm, so my buddies always gave me first dibs on those items. For online PUGs it would be lame, but then again, a lot of people in BL1 played "melee" sniper and shot from the hip.

Does BL2 contain your own loot ala Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 or is it all up for grabs? I hope the later as I find it makes it more fun

gundato
17-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Lame? Nah. Dicks? Yeah

Don't get me wrong, they would (usually) wait. But if there was a really good piece of loot, you can be damned certain it would not be there when we were divvying up loot :p

And yeah, I hope it still stays all up for grabs. Definitely more fun that way.

Jesus_Phish
17-09-2012, 08:11 PM
We played like dicks too, but there was zero point in them taking a sniper over me or me a rocket launcher over them as in the end it was only detrimental to the team

Hypernetic
17-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm the biggest dick of my group of friends pretty much, so I get whatever I want. Though I'm not a greedy prick about it.

Also it's releasing and midnight EST for once! Fuck the west coast.

gundato
17-09-2012, 08:23 PM
We played like dicks too, but there was zero point in them taking a sniper over me or me a rocket launcher over them as in the end it was only detrimental to the team
Well, yeah. No problem getting a new sniper rifle or class mod. But if I wanted to get a new pistol or shotgun or smg, I would regularly find that the boss apparently dropped something for someone 5 levels lower than us. And that my friend would have a shiny new shotgun that he just "forgot" to use for a few hours :p

Of course, I would later "forget" to cover his ass, so he would regularly get humped by skags and psycho midgets. So everybody won :p

Hypernetic
17-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Well, yeah. No problem getting a new sniper rifle or class mod. But if I wanted to get a new pistol or shotgun or smg, I would regularly find that the boss apparently dropped something for someone 5 levels lower than us. And that my friend would have a shiny new shotgun that he just "forgot" to use for a few hours :p

Of course, I would later "forget" to cover his ass, so he would regularly get humped by skags and psycho midgets. So everybody won :p

Your friends are just assholes. There is no reason to horde every weapon type in that game. Just say "I want any good sniper rifles or pistols" and let your soldier friend have the ARs and shotguns. Basically, just have everyone specialize, that's what we did so there would be a good distribution of loot.

gundato
17-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Your friends are just assholes. There is no reason to horde every weapon type in that game. Just say "I want any good sniper rifles or pistols" and let your soldier friend have the ARs and shotguns. Basically, just have everyone specialize, that's what we did so there would be a good distribution of loot.
No arguments on the "assholes" angle :p.
But the thing is that we were all playing the game as we wanted to. SMGs were REALLY good in B1, so we all carried an SMG. I was the only one with a sniper and the guy playing Brick had rockets (because Brick poops rockets).

If you have a group that is obsessed with not screwing each other over (to which, I say, you have boring friends :p) then you have no problems. if you do ANY pubbing, you'll have problems. And if you have normal human beings for friends, consider not focusing on sniping.

Hypernetic
17-09-2012, 09:59 PM
No arguments on the "assholes" angle :p.
But the thing is that we were all playing the game as we wanted to. SMGs were REALLY good in B1, so we all carried an SMG. I was the only one with a sniper and the guy playing Brick had rockets (because Brick poops rockets).

If you have a group that is obsessed with not screwing each other over (to which, I say, you have boring friends :p) then you have no problems. if you do ANY pubbing, you'll have problems. And if you have normal human beings for friends, consider not focusing on sniping.

I'm not focusing on sniping anyway, just because cunning looks awesome.

I don't know, my friends and I are just "try hards" I guess. Most of us have been gaming together for 5-10 years including hardcore raiding and PVP in MMOs. We just do things efficiently =D. I wouldn't call it boring. Of course, throw us all into a game like Magicka and we don't make it very far because we all kill each other.