PDA

View Full Version : What are you most looking forward too for Autumn/Winter 2012

christ87
11-09-2012, 09:29 AM
There so many great games coming out on PC before Christmas just as a general consensus what are you guys most looking forward too?

Jams O'Donnell
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
There is only one game on the horizon and its name is Dishonored.

downgrade
11-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm hoping Far Cry 3 willl be a good single player shooter with tactical freedom and more than 10-15 hours of playtime. I'm really missing those. And Dishonored, of course.

pakoito
11-09-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm the only one not excited about Dishonored after playing it at Gamescom.

airtekh
11-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Number one on my list is Natural Selection 2, which I'll be jumping right into as soon as it gets out of beta in October. Also Borderlands 2 next week \o/

I'm hoping Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 are good; I might wait and see what the reaction is from people before buying though.

I was looking forward to Dishonored until I saw the minimum spec. Apparently it requires a 64-bit OS and I got stuck with 32-bit Win7 so I can't play it. :(

Patrick Swayze
11-09-2012, 10:07 AM
X-com.

It's going to be amazing I think.

And in console toy land: Halo 4.

Sakkura
11-09-2012, 10:09 AM
There is only one game on the horizon and its name is XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Drake Sigar
11-09-2012, 10:09 AM
They could've at least spelt it right.

NathanH
11-09-2012, 10:27 AM
There'd better be an English translation of Dishonored. I remember the joy I felt when I realized the Baldur's Gate 2 manual had been translated into English.

Mohorovicic
11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Didn't we do it in this thread (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?6096-This-Is-Going-to-Be-a-Boring-Autumn) literally yesterday?

NathanH
11-09-2012, 10:32 AM
That was a grumpy thread and this is a happy one. Clearly we need an opposite of every thread. I'm off to start the "Thanks Valve for protecting me from the naughty sex" thread.

Revisor
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I rarely buy games upon release, but Dishonored it is.

What didn't you like?

pakoito
11-09-2012, 11:05 AM
What didn't you like?The feeling that despite every puzzle having different solutions it was only one lineal milestone everyone had to solve anyway. Also, 6 powers felt too little, and interaction between them was very clear. I guess they interact better with level design, but I couldn't finish the "sneak in a factory" level because the rush approach didn't work as expected. At the beginning I was just AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA using the powers to die again and again and again, but once the basic interactions novelty died off the game did too.

fiddlesticks
11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Hitman: Absolution. I wasn't too thrilled with the project initially, but the recent trailers for the game convinced me to preorder. Even if it's only half as good as Blood Money was, it would still be one of the best releases of this year.

Patrick Swayze
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM

The art style is epic but it just sounds like a riff on the bioshock (read: super average) gameplay and is probably one of those over hyped titles that will suffer for being on the cover of Edge Magazine.

Giaddon
11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I was looking forward to Dishonored until I saw the minimum spec. Apparently it requires a 64-bit OS and I got stuck with 32-bit Win7 so I can't play it. :(

What's your source for this? The Steam page simply lists "Win 7" in the minimum, and says "Win 7 (enhanced for 64-bit OS)" in the recommended, which implies 32-bit is fine, but you probably can't set max texture quality or something.

Makariel
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
XCom hands down. Dishonored also looks neat but I just like bossing people around more than I like stabbing people in the neck.

Feldspar
11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I guess XCom, because I'm not currently playing anything like it, and games that let me build stuff (however misguided and odd my creations may be) have to be applauded. However if I pick up GW2, it may have to wait until after Xmas.

pakoito
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM
The art style is epic but it just sounds like a riff on the bioshock (read: super average) gameplay and is probably one of those over hyped titles that will suffer for being on the cover of Edge Magazine.

It's courious you mention that because I too left Bioshock halfway because of lack of interest. As I said before, 8 hour games (baring a couple like Portal) don't cut it for me anymore.

Revisor
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Both previous original Arkane games, Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah, had great gameplay. Bioshock's they just inherited from 2K.

If Dishonored is just kissed on the cheek by the genius of Thief + Dark Messiah, it's a winner for me.

Sketch
11-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Can you go through Bioshock without killing anyone? I mean the fact that Dishonored does let you do that, distinguishes a fair amount.

eRa
11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
In this order:

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Natural Selection 2
Black Mesa
X COM
Dishonored

Tikey
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm looking forward to X-Com but I think I'll end up buying it during the Christmas sale, it's just too expensive for me right now
SADFACE

Mohorovicic
11-09-2012, 01:20 PM
It's astounding how many people here are interested in X-COM.

Have you no shame?

VodKerr
11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
A game that I can find little information on but has still managed to interest me is "Omerta - City of Gangsters". The description thats floating around on the various gaming sites there is info is:

"Omerta: City of Gangsters is a simulation game with tactical turn-based combat. Taking the role of a fresh-from-the-boat immigrant, with dreams of the big life, the player will work his way up the criminal hierarchy of 1920's Atlantic City. Starting with small jobs, his character recruits a gang and expands his empire by taking territory from other gangsters. Eventually he establishes his own crime syndicate and becomes the de facto ruler of Atlantic City.

The player strategically manages his business and his minions in a real-time format, slowly but steadily increasing his influence over the city. The player sends his henchmen out on missions ranging from assassinating an informant, to raiding a warehouse, springing a friend from prison, robbing a bank, or attacking a rival gang's hideout. Nobody is above the law in Atlantic City, so it always helps to have a little cash handy to bribe a policeman or pay off a politician.

The turn-based combat in Omerta - City of Gangsters focuses on the tactical command of The Boss and his henchmen. Cover and stealth are essential parts of any shootout in the game. Finding the best vantage point to gun down an enemy, while taking cover from a hailstorm of bullets, can be just as satisfying as sneaking quietly behind a foe and taking him down."

I just like the idea of being able to create my own Boardwalk Empire & it reminds me of a game I'm fairly sure was called "Gangsters" from back in my youth which brings back faint but very fond memories. Pretty sure it's out at the end of September.

Kadayi
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm looking forward to Hitman Absolution tbh. Down with BL2, Dishonored & XCom as well, but I'm quite keen on checking out 47s latest adventure.

It's astounding how many people here are interested in X-COM.

Have you no shame?

How about you elaborate there buddy, or are you confusing the firaxis game with the 2K one? The Firaxis one looks pretty decent.

ado
11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Both previous original Arkane games, Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah, had great gameplay. Bioshock's they just inherited from 2K.

You and me remember the gameplay in Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah completely differently. In both games the ideas where the interesting part, while the execution was severely lackluster. At least that's how I remember them.

With that said I can't help but get excited about Dishonored. I love the Deus Ex-like game design, and I really hope that Dishonored pulls it off.

The other game that will probably eat away at my days is XCOM.

squirrel
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Far Cry 3 multiplayer, it is demoed to be a good combination of tactics and fast-pace actions. In other words, great mix of Battlefield and COD.

But you guys seems not to appreciate it that much, makes me worry about its player count.

Smashbox
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Black Mesa
X COM
Dishonored
War of the Roses
Game of Dwarves
FTL
Borderlands
Hawken
Maybe AssCreed depending on reviews (Boston!)

Eventually, of course.

Mohorovicic
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
How about you elaborate there buddy, or are you confusing the firaxis game with the 2K one?

It seems that I totally am.

In my defense, what kind of marketing genius thought about releasing two games with exactly the same name? From the same publisher, no less?

Alex Bakke
11-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I think both UFO games look great.

Smashbox
11-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, the shooter's titled XCOM, and the strategy game is called XCOM: Enemy Unknown, tecnically.

arathain
11-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Anyhow, now that there's a proper XCOM remake in the works I feel freed to be much more interested in the FPS. The early stuff looked like they had some very cool ideas, although more recent stuff made it seem like it was getting watered down to a bit more of a cover shooter. I haven't heard anything in a while, so I'm hoping that those neat ideas are still present.

Anticipation: XCOM. Mostly XCOM. I'd love to play GW2, but I don't have the computer for it, so it'll have to wait until my aging machine dies so I can justify a new one. I'll undoubtedly get Torchlight 2 at some point, but I think I'll hold off, since I'm still playing Diablo 3 on and off and having fun with it.

Scumbag
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I look forward to the Steam Autumn sale where I will quite possibly buy a lot of things and then never have the intention of playing or even installing half of them.

fiddlesticks
11-09-2012, 05:24 PM
But you guys seems not to appreciate it that much, makes me worry about its player count.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Far Cry 3 will most likely outsell every other game in this thread.

Tritagonist
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
In no particular order: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, Assassin's Creed 3 (though I'll wait with buying this), and GRID 2 (no clear releasedate, but said to be 2012).

Otherwise still playing through the games bought during the Steam July sale!

kstress71
11-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Borderlands 2. I'm honestly worried about the sheer amount of time I know I'll happily throw into the pit that is this game...

kstress71
11-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I look forward to the Steam Autumn sale where I will quite possibly buy a lot of things and then never have the intention of playing or even installing half of them.

I'm pretty happy with myself so far. I'm about halfway through the games that I bought in the Summer sale. By the time the Autumn sale starts, I may actually be ready for it.

kstress71
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
"Omerta - City of Gangsters" ... Pretty sure it's out at the end of September.

OOOOhhhhhh, I hope so. This looks like a wonderfully sick treat.

TailSwallower
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
HOTLINE MIAMI

It's the only game I'm going to buy on release, no matter what my backlog is telling me.

Other games I'm interested in but will hold off on for backlog reasons:
XCOM
Dishono(u)red

I already have FTL because Kickstarter, and now it's only a week until I can actually run it.

Velko
12-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Far Cry 3 and Dishonored... but I doubt I'll buy either one of them this year; I'll rather wait for a proper sale, and possibly updating my computer next year. Staying at least a year or two behind the wave really saves money and makes for less hardware woes, and I already have a long wishlist of earlier stuff I haven't bought because of lack of time.

On the other hand, I've been itching for GW2 (never played a MMO before), but I'm not sure about it.

Hypernetic
12-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Bordering of the Lands, part duex

Fanbuoy
12-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Totally looking forward to:
Black Mesa
AssCreed 3
Dishono(u)red (not British myself, but I agree on the spelling)
War of The Roses
Omerta (thanks VodKerr, loved Gangsters back in the day)

Kind of looking forward to, but might not play:
XCOMs (both)
BG: Enhanced edition

pakoito
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I already have FTL because Kickstarter, and now it's only a week until I can actually run it.All backers got a key for preaccess. I've been playing for some days.

SirDavies
12-09-2012, 12:45 PM
The only game I'm surely going to get this year is Dishonored, plus the occasional indie surprise. Maybe War of the Roses, the beta was pretty fun. Everything else seems kinda bland and just more of the same, honestly. If you like it, it's fine, but I don't think I want to play the exact same games I've already played but with better graphics.

Edit: Oh yeah, Planetside 2 also looks pretty fun.

elephant god
12-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I can't wait for FTL being released the day after tomorrow! I'm prepared to throw any amount of money at the screen as soon as I can.

Also, Hotline Miami, and Planetside 2, anticipation wise.

Finicky
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Natural selection 2
Planetside 2

That's it I think, pretty lean times.

Avish
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Dishonored is the only game I might buy at full price, but it depends on the WOT.

Otherwise I have enough games to keep me happy until the Christmas sales.

Oshada
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Definitely XCOM: Enemy Unknown, mostly because I haven't played the original XCOM. Assassin's Creed 3 looks good but has too many DLC bits and bobs for my liking. And of course, Torchlight II is yet to be released... soon.

Dariune
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Cautiously looking forward to X-Com Enemy Unknown (Wont buy it on release)

Lookingforward to Xenonauts (if thats released this year?)

And Eador: Master of the broken world.

I think thats it for this year :(

vinraith
12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
To poach my own list from the "boring autumn" thread:

Hegemony: Rome (I'll preorder this the moment I can)
CK2: Legacy of Rome (ditto)
Occult Chronicles (ditto)
Shattered Haven (ditto) (http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/shatteredhaven-features)
Drox Operative (already preordered with the beta)
FTL (ditto)
Torchlight 2 (ditto)
AI War: Ancient Shadows (ditto)
Alea Jacta Est (preordering soon)

and then I'll add in Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 in the AAA space.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's more than enough anyway!

Tikey
12-09-2012, 08:26 PM
No love for the new X-Com, vin?

vinraith
12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
No love for the new X-Com, vin?

It's a subject of interest, but I've not been following it very closely. I'm mostly waiting on word-of-mouth post-release. AAA strategy games haven't been panning out so well lately.

Bankrotas
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Tl2, pretty much about it. Nothing spurs the interest for now.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Borderlands 2 and Dishonored.

Already have a group of about 6 who are going to be in Borderlands and Dishonored will be there when I feel like being a computer hermit again.

The end of 2012 and possibly half of 2013 is already covered by those two games alone.

pakoito
13-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Borderlands 2 and Dishonored.

Already have a group of about 6 who are going to be in Borderlands and Dishonored will be there when I feel like being a computer hermit again.

The end of 2012 and possibly half of 2013 is already covered by those two games alone.

If Borderlands 2 is as long as the first one, you would barely make it to October. 100% quests with achievements in almost 4 days with my coop buddy.

Frenetic Pony
13-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Sim City beta. Because I'm GOING to get in, and if I don't I'm breaking into EA just to play it as it's been faaaarrrr too long since I've been able to just get lost in a game (that's long enough, go play the HL2 mod Mission Improbable RIGHT NOW!) and that looks like the ticket for me.

Heck, EA is only about two hours away from me, so breaking in should be convenient as well!

vinraith
13-09-2012, 04:22 AM
If Borderlands 2 is as long as the first one, you would barely make it to October. 100% quests with achievements in almost 4 days with my coop buddy.

My first Borderlands playthrough took, IIRC, about 60 hours. Another 30 or so with DLC.

In other words, as long as he and his friends are employed and, you know, sleep and eat, they'll be fine.

t0mme
13-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm only looking forward to three games; Clockwork Empires, Prison Architect and Planetary Annihilation. And as they won't be released this autumn/winter, I'm just looking forward to more information on these games.

pakoito
13-09-2012, 11:33 AM
My first Borderlands playthrough took, IIRC, about 60 hours. Another 30 or so with DLC.

In other words, as long as he and his friends are employed and, you know, sleep and eat, they'll be fine.
Ours was shorter, around 30, but we are a veeeeery efficient run&gun team.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Ours was shorter, around 30, but we are a veeeeery efficient run&gun team.

Efficiency was never our strong suite. And we also play other games at the same time too.

Also remember the game scales up difficulty based on the number of players so an area two players would go through in maybe 10 minutes might take double the time because the number and resilience of enemies jumps.

Hypernetic
13-09-2012, 04:08 PM
According to a gearbox guy at PAX BL2 is about 60 hours on the first playthrough if you do everything.

The point of a game like BL though is not to only playthrough once and call it quits, it has much replay value.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 05:19 PM
And not the mention the second playthrough shakes things up with the tougher enemies. It's so simple, but for some reason it's very effective.

Sakkura
14-09-2012, 12:20 AM
There is only one game on the horizon and its name is XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
Oh god, having read the latest story, this is truer than ever. I am terribly excited. So excited it can't end well. I'll either disappear for months because I'm playing or disappear for months because I'm mourning.

Drake Sigar
14-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Oh god, having read the latest story, this is truer than ever. I am terribly excited. So excited it can't end well. I'll either disappear for months because I'm playing or disappear for months because I'm mourning.

I'm gonna' do what the dev did - build a plain standard issue suit and wipe all nicknames. My squadies are gonna' have to EARN that shit. Until they survive a few missions, they're nothing to me.

Vizjerie
14-09-2012, 02:38 AM
hitman. the neewww hitman