PDA

View Full Version : Bayonetta/Vanquish Dev visits Valve. Hope...?

mashakos
13-09-2012, 05:41 AM
https://twitter.com/PG_inaba/statuses/242396927671562240
http://pics.Steam.com/s/240187207
http://i.imgur.com/qB4hF.png

I'm a HUGE fan of PlatinumGames (http://platinumgames.com/), and find that their amazing games not reaching the PC one of this generation's great Gaming Tragedies.

You'd feel my pain if you grew up gaming on both PC and consoles, playing both western and import games. PlatinumGames is one of the few Japanese game developers standing that consistently release innovative, stylish, visually impressive and FUN games. Unfortunately, you will have to resort to playing on a lowly PS3/xbox360 at sub-par resolutions to experience them.

So, upon seeing tweeted photos of PlatinumGames producer Atsushi Inaba posing with GabeN .... well, my mind started imagining the possibilities. Could this be the moment us PC gamers have been waiting for? Or just a sight seeing tour?
Oh, if only it was the start of Steam distribution negotiations!!!!!!!!!!

Come to Steam (http://www.sega.com/vanquish/) you pillars of awesomeness!!!! (http://www.sega.com/platinumgames/bayonetta/)

Space Indaver
13-09-2012, 05:59 AM
I would love this. LOVE IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXzi9IPhwA

Mohorovicic
13-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Oh man I already can't wait for all the people who normally bash POPAMOLE and Gears of War MANSAUCE to tell me Vanquish is like, best game ever.

ado
13-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Big fan of Platinum here as well (and a HUGE fan of Valve), and I'm really looking forward to Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. However I wouldn't read too much in to this since Valve host other devs and videogame personalities all the time.

mashakos
13-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Big fan of Platinum here as well (and a HUGE fan of Valve), and I'm really looking forward to Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. However I wouldn't read too much in to this since Valve host other devs and videogame personalities all the time.yeah, I'm assuming as much. Still, the fan in me can't help but speculate.

Harlander
13-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Vanquish... DARPA power armour, rocket boot slide attack, ridiculo-morpho-gun? I'd be up for that on PC, very much so.

soldant
13-09-2012, 08:36 AM
oh man i already can't wait for all the people who normally bash popamole and gears of war mansauce to tell me vanquish is like, best game ever.
COVER SHOOTER WTF NOBODY USES COVER IN REAL LIFE SO UNREALISTIC THIS GAME SUCKS IT'S THE CANCER THAT'S KILLING GAMING.

EDIT: Oh come on RPS, why won't you let me type in allcaps unless I also type normally? You're not fair to me :(

Rauten
13-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Oh dear; please, Platinum, fly me to the moon, and I promise to double dip.

Bayonetta on my PC would be like a dream come true.

Lewie Procter
13-09-2012, 02:46 PM
<3 Platinum.

Moraven
13-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Nintendo just announced during their Wii U conference: Bayonetta 2, A Wii U exclusive published by Nintendo.

I have 3/4 of their current games released in NA. Need to pick up Vanquish on the cheap still. Great games.

Maybe with the whole Steam TV think I might try to get some long cable to hook up my PC to the TV room and get a 360 game pad connector. Would not have to worry about getting new consoles right away if more of these games came out to PC.

Rauten
13-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Bayonetta2 WiiU exclusivity is to me, at the same time, a pain in the ass and a sign that the Mayans were right.

This is Nintendo we're talking about, when it comes to anything even remotely sexy they're worse than the inquisition, and now they're going to have Bayonetta, a character that goes so far as saying she should've been a pole dancer, a character that almost never stops flaunting the sexyness of her body, exclusively on the system?

The end days are coming. Prepare yourself.

On a side note: I understand Nintendo is not only getting the exclusivity, they're also the ones actually financing the game, so Platinum visiting Steam or not, it will never see the light on our beloved PCs.

Moraven
13-09-2012, 04:09 PM
True, I think Bayonneta was essentially canceled earlier this year with no publisher. Thought it did well for SEGA (who also published Vanquished).

Rauten
13-09-2012, 04:14 PM
SEGA and Platinum struck a publishing deal before Platinum actually made any game that covered up to Anarchy Reigns. While Bayonetta didn't perform too badly, it wasn't near good enough for SEGA to be interested in a sequel, specially considering their current financial woes.

Lewie Procter
13-09-2012, 05:14 PM
It actually appears as if Sega and Nintendo are co publishing. At least the trailer has Sega's logo on it too.

Rauten
13-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Guess Nintendo's money woo-ed them over.

Shooop
13-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Oh man I already can't wait for all the people who normally bash POPAMOLE and Gears of War MANSAUCE to tell me Vanquish is like, best game ever.
To be fair, I'm seeing a lot more player movement in that 9:30 video posted than in the entire Gears of War series.

I'm interested enough to look for a demo now.

gundato
13-09-2012, 06:01 PM
To me, at least, Vanquish is fun, but it is nothing special. It looks pretty, but the gameplay ends up being rather generic unless you are shooting for the high score (at which point it is almost a puzzle game at times).

But I do think they would be perfect if owned by Valve. Their ideas and style combined with Valve's polish.

Vizjerie
14-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Dear lord who doesnt exist. please make this happen.

mashakos
14-09-2012, 03:50 AM
Bayonetta2 WiiU exclusivity is to me, at the same time, a pain in the ass and a sign that the Mayans were right.

WTF? Hopefully the Dolphin devs can add Wii U emulation in under 4 years :( ....

agentorange
14-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Ugh, please no. Enough of these crazy, WACKY japanese games that just recycle old conventions and add boobs and lasers to them.

sabrage
14-09-2012, 04:27 AM
Vanquish actively counts how long you spend cowering behind cover and detracts it from your score.

SirKicksalot
14-09-2012, 04:29 AM
I really don't like Vanquish. It's too WACKY JAPANESE for me.
I wish I could play MadWorld and Revengeance looks interesting.

Mohorovicic
14-09-2012, 06:29 AM
I really don't like Vanquish. It's too WACKY JAPANESE for me.

Wow, I do wish Vanquish was the wackiest thing japs ever did. Everything would be forgiven.

somini
14-09-2012, 11:06 AM
WTF? Hopefully the Dolphin devs can add Wii U emulation in under 4 years :( ....
I'm betting much less. The WiiU is just 2 Wii taped together.

Rauten
14-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm betting much less. The WiiU is just 2 Wii taped together.

True, but it's supposed to be slightly more powerful than both the 360 and PS3, and neither of those have a working emulator yet. At least, that I know of.

squirrel
14-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Vanquish is really amazing, but its gameplay mechamism cannot be well adopted in a competitive multiplayer setting, probably the reason they don't make one. And without one they probably figure out it would be pirated as hell if it was ported to PC.

CuriousOrange
14-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I love Platinum games but Vanquish was awful. The plot was dreadful and not up to their usual hilariousness. The game itself was a pretty dull cover based shooter. Find it strange it's often named as one of their classics when they have such a brilliant back catalog.

agentorange
14-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I love Platinum games but Vanquish was awful. The plot was dreadful and not up to their usual hilariousness. The game itself was a pretty dull cover based shooter. Find it strange it's often named as one of their classics when they have such a brilliant back catalog.

I'm looking forward to Anarchy Reigns, since it looks like it'll have hand to hand combat, which is hopefully as deep as the system God Hand had.

mashakos
15-09-2012, 05:54 AM
True, but it's supposed to be slightly more powerful than both the 360 and PS3, and neither of those have a working emulator yet. At least, that I know of.

The nice thing about the Wii was that it used standard hardware that was already well documented (unlike the CELL CPU, and the way it works with the weird XDRAM being used in the PS3).
Hopefully this trend will continue with the WiiU.
Either way, optimising still takes a lot of effort. It all depends on how similiar the WiiU architecture is to the Wii's.

If you guys didn't know - Randy Linden, the developer of Bleem! Went to work for SCEA after Sony killed his Playstation emulator. I have a sneaking suspicion that he has been feeding Sony tips (or "consulting" as they like to call it) on how to make their consoles difficult to emulate ever since the PS2. Some of the design choices on the PS2/PS3 don't seem to be logical from a cost/performance standpoint.

mashakos
21-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Is Metal Gear Rising still confirmed for PC? I can't play this over the top piece of awesome at SD (console) resolutions :(
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/r4rlc7/metal-gear-rising--revengeance-tgs-2012--story-trailer

mashakos
25-09-2012, 10:48 PM
YES!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/25/a-better-bayonetta-platinum-games-considering-pc/

Finicky
26-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Vanquish was okay, by third person chest high wall shooter standards it was like the second coming of jebus... but that isn't saying much.

I'm really excited about them bringing their games to PC they are one of the only good console exclusive developers.

Bayonetta on pc would be amazing : proper image quality and a framerate that actually stays at 60 instead of dropping all the way down to 20 like on ps3.
I have the game on ps3 but only play it when I visit my brother's as he has a crt tv, my shitty samsung LC is way too laggy to really make it enjoyable.

Platinum games were pretty much the single only reason for me to keep my ps3 around, I haven't played anything on it for 2 years except for bayonetta, gt5 and a few demos.

mashakos
26-09-2012, 01:14 AM
I have the game on ps3 but only play it when I visit my brother's as he has a crt tv, my shitty samsung LC is way too laggy to really make it enjoyable.
Have you tried switching your TV to "PC mode"? Most HDTVs have an equivalent feature. It turns off all the fancy colour/contrast "enhancements" that add lag to the video feed. The lag can be quite dramatic, I haven't timed it on my TV but I remember my old Hauppauge HD PVR added a whopping 1 second delay because of it's real-time encoding.

Platinum games were pretty much the single only reason for me to keep my ps3 around, I haven't played anything on it for 2 years except for bayonetta, gt5 and a few demos.
I hear you! Haven't switched on my "super computer" since MGS4 came out, and refuse to play anything on it anymore.

Finicky
26-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Have you tried switching your TV to "PC mode"? Most HDTVs have an equivalent feature. It turns off all the fancy colour/contrast "enhancements" that add lag to the video feed. The lag can be quite dramatic, I haven't timed it on my TV but I remember my old Hauppauge HD PVR added a whopping 1 second delay because of it's real-time encoding.

It's a 2008 samsung lcd tv (LE40a656)... the pseudo 120 hz ones.
Motionflow is off as is sharpening and most of the other post effects as they add more input lag, but even then it has 50 ms of input lag... (100+ ms with motionflow)

I game on a crt monitor @ 85 hz on my pc so I'm used to no input lag and it's really jarring when I use the tv.
The thing also has pretty high response time aka low motion resolution and that makes it even less suitable for games :(
I should have just paid more and gotten a kuro back then... Samsung is dogshit when it comes to tvs. 1500 euros worth of dogshit this tv.

The only game I like playing on it is gt5 really... as at least there I get feedback through my wheel that isn't dependant on the input lag of my tv.

still off topic: to top things off my monitor is starting to die , I have no idea where I'm going to find an acceptable LCD monitor with good response time and no input lag.

The crt is 10 years old I had hoped it would last me for a few more years until OLED panels (perfect response times, input lag will depend on the hardware in it not the panel) would be available and affordable:(

mashakos
26-09-2012, 01:54 AM
It's a 2008 samsung lcd tv (LE40a656)... the pseudo 120 hz ones.
Motionflow is off as is sharpening and most of the other post effects as they add more input lag, but even then it has 50 ms of input lag... (100+ ms with motionflow)
hm, PC Mode in most TVs actually removes the setting from the options menu - you can only select brightness in that mode. So I'm not sure if you are just dialling down the settings (won't reduce lag as the TV scaler chip is still on) or you switched to PC Mode. I just checked online and there is such a mode for your TV, have you tried it?
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1247712-samsung-le40a656-gamemode-vs-pc-mode.html

Finicky
26-09-2012, 04:32 AM
I tried game mode when I first got it (didn't know it accepted pc mode on ps3, but as that topic said it apparently has more input lag so I guess it doesn't turn all the filters off), but game mode still had 30 ms of latency and the most sandpaper to eye offensive color balance/contrast settings and no way to manually adjust them (locked out in game mode).
I'm not that anal about calibrating tvs but jesus christ game mode on this tv is unwatchable.

So yeah, I had to choose between slightly less (but still too much) lag and a picture that looks like a toddler got into the calibration menu, or playing with sharpness filter and the other post filters and dynamic contrast all off/at 0 but calibrated colors so it at least looks passable next to my crt monitor.
So I just chose the best option: NEITHER :p

If the ps3 is all I had I'd play in gamemode and deal with the dogshit image quality , but instead I decided to just not bother and really only use it to watch tv.

It sucks because I have a long hdmi cable that can reach my tv (computer desk is in the living room) it would be nice to play pc racing games and the odd game that works well with a controller on my big tv, if LCD tvs didn't suck so much :\
I thought a VA panel would mean it would be servicable image quality wise with more lag as downside , I was wrong it still sucks.

mashakos
26-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I tried game mode when I first got it (didn't know it accepted pc mode on ps3, but as that topic said it apparently has more input lag so I guess it doesn't turn all the filters off)

Ignore the person in that thread. Turn on PC mode for the PS3 and test it out, let me know the result.