PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age III: Inquisition confirmed!

Oshada
17-09-2012, 04:21 PM
BioWare has confirmed that the subtitle in Dragon Age III: Unnecessary Subtitle will be Inquisition.

Details here: http://www.dragonage.com/inquisition

They're using a new engine based on Frostbite 2. This indicates they plan on creating some form of multiplayer...

Rauten
17-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Dragon Age

Frostbite 2.

And now I can't help but imagine gray wardens with assault rifles fighting darkspawn also armed with assault rifles. Dear god. It's like a medieval Gears of War.

Lambchops
17-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I didn't expect that subtitle!

Serenegoose
17-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I didn't expect that subtitle!

No, no no no no no no no no no.

No.

Oshada
17-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Total derailment imminent? :P

On a more serious note, I wonder whether this is definitive proof that III will be staged in Orlais instead of Ferelden, since the Inquisition is ruled from there (IIRC). I hope we see more of Leliana if that is indeed the case.

Lambchops
17-09-2012, 04:46 PM

No.

There's no limit?

You'll be pleased to see that John Walker used the same obvious ploy in his news post.

SMiD
17-09-2012, 04:47 PM
From that link...

"I joined BioWare in May of 1997 making this year my 15th year with the Company (So, old…). I am a programmer by training and implemented the AI, scripting, and combat systems in Baldur's Gate. After that, I moved into a lead programmer role on Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2, and Shadows of Amn." -Mark Darrah, Executive Producer

BG2, and Shadows of Amn...

:/

Lukasz
17-09-2012, 04:48 PM
"After that, I moved into a lead programmer role on Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2, and Shadows of Amn"

something is wrong with that sentence.

Edit: Lolz.ninj'ed.

Jesus_Phish
17-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Let's assume he messed up and meant to say "Tales of the Sword Coast and BG2,Shadows of Amn", if only so the internet has one less thing to get up in arms over.

Lukasz
17-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Let's assume he messed up and meant to say "Tales of the Sword Coast and BG2,Shadows of Amn", if only so the internet has one less thing to get up in arms over.

i would presume he meant throne of ball

deano2099
17-09-2012, 05:20 PM
BG2, and Shadows of Amn...

It's because the internet loses it's shit over tiny slips of the pen that developers aren't normally allowed to speak.

Prokroustis
17-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Predictions!

On a scale from DA2 (pretty bad) to DAO (very good) where will DA3 be?

Ian
17-09-2012, 05:28 PM
In between, I'm guessing.

bonkers
17-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Depends on how much DA2 is in there. If they only take the good parts of DA2 (which there were, although few) it could become even better then DAO. But I doubt they go even deeper down the cRPG route.

DaftPunk
17-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Its hard to imagine dark RPG with frostbite 2 lol

pakoito
17-09-2012, 05:54 PM

No.

HAHA!! ¡Nadie esperaba a la Inquisición Española!

Rauten
17-09-2012, 05:56 PM
HAHA!! ¡Nadie esperaba a la Inquisición Española!

*slap*

You fool! it's "¡JAJA!", not "HAHA!!". How shameful.

pakoito
17-09-2012, 06:08 PM
*slap*

You fool! it's "¡JAJA!", not "HAHA!!". How shameful.

I was just faking Cleese's accent!! *slapback*

Wizardry
17-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Predictions!

On a scale from DA2 (diabolical) to DAO (rubbish) where will DA3 be?
Does it matter?

goatmonkey
17-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Is EA trying to move all it's franchises to Frostbite, from Wikipedia - Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed: The Run. Upcoming games using the engine include Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, Command & Conquer and now Dragon Age 3.

Still in the boat of more interested in what happens to Bioware than in anything they put out

b0rsuk
17-09-2012, 09:26 PM
There is a simpler explanation: Dragon Age III will be an FPS.

tomme25
17-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Frostbyte is a nice engine, I like it. But multiplayer in a Dragon Age game? Wonder if it is going to be something like Mass Effect 3. You and 3 others, fighting against hordes of blight soldiers.

But after Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and the star wars mmo, I really don't have any more faith in Bioware. By that I mean, my pants are still on by reading the news. For a couple of years ago I would jump with joy hearing a new Bioware game is in the works.

agentorange
18-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Wow, finally the graphical splendor can match the unrivaled brilliance of the Bioware writing team. It has been one of the great tragedies of mankind that such emotional and gifted individuals were being held back by archaic ambient lighting technology and muddy textures. This will surely be the greatest and most emotional journey that we gamers have ever experienced.

Kadayi
18-09-2012, 12:49 AM
On a more serious note, I wonder whether this is definitive proof that III will be staged in Orlais instead of Ferelden, since the Inquisition is ruled from there (IIRC). I hope we see more of Leliana if that is indeed the case.

I think it's pretty much set up from the end of DA2 that it's going to take place in Orlais, and Leliana will undoubtedly be involved. Of course the .001% of gamers who killed Leliana in DA:O with some bizarre decision to do with the urn of sacred ashes (defecating in it or some such) will undoubtedly kick up a huge retcon stink about it all and expect the rest of us to care.

Is EA trying to move all it's franchises to Frostbite, from Wikipedia - Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed: The Run. Upcoming games using the engine include Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, Command & Conquer and now Dragon Age 3.

It kind of makes sense to go with an in house engine (easier on the tech support), plus I think with BF3 they demonstrated that the engine does big maps with aplomb and destructible terrain is always good.

Looking forward to seeing more data. Personally didn't fine DA2 as offensive as some around here. I preferred the style of the combat (DA:O was very sloggy at times imho) and the companions more, what let the game down was the repeat environments & a couple of daft decisions plot wise at the end (1st enchanter bit was 'wait! what? why? how is this helping us exactly? Hold up now were fighting you?..this makes no sense as a strategy?')

Drake Sigar
18-09-2012, 12:59 AM
I think it's pretty much set up from the end of DA2 that it's going to take place in Orlais, and Leliana will undoubtedly be involved. Of course the .001% of gamers who killed Leliana in DA:O with some bizarre decision to do with the urn of sacred ashes (defecating in it or some such) will undoubtedly kick up a huge retcon stink about it all and expect the rest of us to care.
Actually I just told her to bugger off when she asked to join me. My dwarf doesn't like religious nutjobs.

Hypernetic
18-09-2012, 02:08 AM
*slap*

you fool! It's "¡jaja!", not "haha!!". How shameful.

huehuehueheuheuheuehueheuheue

Prokroustis
18-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Does it matter?

Less than the decisions of the ECB's executive board but more than bieber's next album.

Oshada
18-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Less than the decisions of the ECB's executive board but more than bieber's next album.

Your upper bound was well chosen but the lower bound was... a bit less well chosen.

Anyway, even though it may be a small thing, one of the best things they could do with the release is not to release a Day 1 DLC/Character. Coupled with the 'From Ashes' mini-firestorm that would just send the Internet Backdraft levels nuclear. I know the Stone Prisoner was great, but their goodwill has certainly eroded A LOT since then.

SafetyTrain
18-09-2012, 09:26 AM
After my complete obsession during my playthrough of DAO and the bitter dissappointment during DA2 I expect to be cynically skeptic and somewhat positively surprised.

But as has been mentioned, faith in bioware - plunging.

EDIT:

"After that, I moved into a lead programmer role on Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2, and Throne of Bhaal."

They changed it, they are watching us...

pakoito
18-09-2012, 10:35 AM
huehuehueheuheuheuehueheuheue

That's it, banned from the internet.

Kadayi
18-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I think it's also important at this point in time to point out that the DA team is a distinct entity from the ME team (albeit they share the same location). There's a lot of raging against DA3 already from people raging about the ME3 debacle and that's kind of nonsensical given the lead and writers on DA are completely different people.

pakoito
18-09-2012, 01:32 PM
DA team counts with that lady everyone bashed a year ago, the one that liked her games without gameplay and skip-to-story button.

fiddlesticks
18-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I will only buy the new Dragon Age if it includes this musical number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgZnvfJ9Jg

Oshada
20-09-2012, 12:47 AM
What's the bet on Dragon Age III having a season pass of DLC? All the cool kids (Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2) are doing it, so BioWare will be over it.

Also, now that the Doctors are gone, what will happen to the implementation of these comments (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/dragon-age-3/) made last year?

bonkers
20-09-2012, 09:08 AM
What's the bet on Dragon Age III having a season pass of DLC? All the cool kids (Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2) are doing it, so BioWare will be over it.

Also, now that the Doctors are gone, what will happen to the implementation of these comments (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/dragon-age-3/) made last year?
Doesn't matter as long as always when you push a button something awesome happens.

r3dknight
20-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Bioware tried to do that with DA2 actually. The DLC production eventually stopped since there's not much interest at all. Sales underperformed, Collector's Edition were not sold out in retails, etc. It gives me much hope that the masses actually knew they were given a crap game and reacted accordingly.

Now to see Bioware squirm after having been bashed by their fans over their two latest releases.
I didn't count TOR at all, mind you. They never have the knack to make MMO and I'm not sure why EA wanted them to try.

I can't wait to see the screams and anger. And of course, the inclusion of homosexual romances, because EA supports gaymers, apparently.

Grizzly
20-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Doesn't matter as long as always when you push a button something awesome happens.

Yeah well, that has been a design staple of Bioware since... shattered steel.

Jesus_Phish
20-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I think it's also important at this point in time to point out that the DA team is a distinct entity from the ME team (albeit they share the same location). There's a lot of raging against DA3 already from people raging about the ME3 debacle and that's kind of nonsensical given the lead and writers on DA are completely different people.

A lot of people never cop on to that it seems. But also it's important to point out this is the internet, so nobody will listen to you anyway and I'm sure someone has already made a facebook page demanding that if you killed Leliana that you want a brand new character with a unique model (good luck in a Dragon Age game, slim wastes and big boobs for all women regardless of age!) with her own history and dialogue. And no, telling her to go away doesn't count because that's not really a retcon, rather she wen't off on her own adventures with Bruce Willis in an awesome movie.

Fanbuoy
20-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Wait, you could kill off Leliana? I seem to have completely forgotten about that. But if so, isn't the retcon already a fact? IIRC, Leliana appeared in the ending cinematic of DA2, speaking to the lady who interrogated Varric.

EDIT: Dwarf mix-up. Zoltan is from the Wicher..

Jesus_Phish
20-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Wait, you could kill off Leliana? I seem to have completely forgotten about that. But if so, isn't the retcon already a fact? IIRC, Leliana appeared in the ending cinematic of DA2, speaking to the lady who interrogated Zoltan.

It was. People complained about it then at her little cameo and they're going to complain even more if she's a main story character again because their warden in the first game killed her.

Kadayi
20-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Wait, you could kill off Leliana? I seem to have completely forgotten about that. But if so, isn't the retcon already a fact? IIRC, Leliana appeared in the ending cinematic of DA2, speaking to the lady who interrogated Varric.

Indeed, and people have already kicked up a stink about it, which is why they'll be even more pissed when she turns up again.

Still these are people who'd kill a slightly kooky foreign red head...not to be trusted tbh.

Drake Sigar
20-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Dragon Age Awakening didn't really make much sense if you played as your Origins character because the ending of Origins was so diverse (the PC could even die), so Awakening ended up choosing one possibility out of several dozen and ran with it. This didn't annoy me though.

Still, Leliana? I didn't think she was even popular enough to warrant bringing her into a new story.

Oshada
20-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Leliana reminded me a bit of Amelia Pond, therefore she is amazing.

NathanH
20-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I bought her DLC, and I rarely buy DLC, so she must be all right.

Personally I don't think anyone should fuss if a developer decides to make something canon even though it doesn't fit with what you did. It doesn't seem a feasible standard to hold developers to. It might cause the occasional "huh, isn't she dead?" moment, but those moment should pass pretty quickly. I mean, come on, we're video gamers, we should be able to deal with the occasional weird moment, that's the small price we have to pay for having the best entertainment format in the world.

The developers must try to avoid inconsistencies, though. For instance, if a character might die at time t, and you decide to make that canon in a sequel, then later on there is a possible path to follow if that character is alive, then even if in a player's playthrough they followed that path, it shouldn't be canon in a sequel. Another example is Awakenings; I don't think that the state-of-affairs at the start of my Awakenings game was physically possible to achieve in Origins, so it shouldn't have been the state-of-affairs.

Drake Sigar
20-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Here's a list of Dragon Age Origins characters that I'd rather see more than Leliana:

Oghren
Sten
Shale
Wynne
Alistair
Morrigan
Zevran
Ser Jory
Tower Guard 57

NathanH
20-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I hate Oghren and Sten.

Drake Sigar
20-09-2012, 02:23 PM
I hate Oghren and Sten.

You what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79S4oGC8K5o

TillEulenspiegel
20-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Still, Leliana? I didn't think she was even popular enough to warrant bringing her into a new story.
Uniquely, she had her own standalone DLC story in DA:O. Regardless of her popularity among internet forum nerds, clearly people at BioWare like her.

Also, have you seen some of the shit that's popular with gamers these days? I just watched with grim fascination some hideous YouTube video with 3 million views. After that, I'm feeling quite serene about a slightly dull character with an odd accent.

Fanbuoy
20-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Basically: It's okay for developers to choose a specific canon, provided that they are consistent in doing so.

Yes, in most cases I would agree. However, in RPG:s that let me influence the outcome and shape the world it's a real immersion kill to suddenly realize that the things I've done previously didn't really happen. Unless they make some sort of believable "that part was just you dreaming" solution, I suppose. Don't mind it in Leliana's case though, as I didn't even know she could die.

Also, weren't you Belgian before?

NathanH
20-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Yes, in most cases I would agree. However, in RPG:s that let me influence the outcome and shape the world it's a real immersion kill to suddenly realize that the things I've done previously didn't really happen. Unless they make some sort of believable "that part was just you dreaming" solution, I suppose. Don't mind it in Leliana's case though, as I didn't even know she could die.

Also, weren't you Belgian before?

I think in terms of immersion it is something that you have some control over. Obviously when something happens that couldn't have happened with your previous choices, it feels wrong for a moment, but I think it is the sort of thing that we just have to say "well that was annoying, but it isn't feasible to have a lot of branches and have them all make a significant difference and still have a long game, oh well, on with the show".

Also I would advise not thinking that the things that you did "didn't happen", just that they didn't happen in the particular realization of the story that you're in. Your old story is still alive and well, it just isn't continuing and you've wandered into a new one.

I don't think the developers can do anything else and still have lots of decisions and outcomes that really make a difference. If you try to include every previous decision, you're probably going to be forced to have them not really make that much of a difference. For example Mass Effect: you didn't release the Rachni Queen and, erm, oh look one shows up anyway. Throughout Mass Effect they tried their best to include all of your decisions without changing any of them, but the natural consequence was that there weren't very many big changes. I find this far less interesting than overwriting some of my choices and making the rest have some meat.

Finally, I was in Belgium for a job, which has now finished. I'm afraid I am extremely English.

Jesus_Phish
20-09-2012, 04:38 PM
"She was brought back from the dead via the Revive magic spell that exists in the game world" - done!

Seriously it's a fantasy game which contains lots of magic. It's like how when people question comic book movies for plausibility.

deano2099
20-09-2012, 06:34 PM
What was wrong with Awakenings? It seemed to work for me, and I saw various options for if Alistair was king or not playing out differently. The only oddity with it was that you could import your character even if they'd died. Which didn't make sense, but better the option than not.

kstress71
20-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Tower Guard 57

Oh, please. Tower Guard 34 RULED over 57.

Serenegoose
20-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Oh, please. Tower Guard 34 RULED over 57.

You've - you've gone too far this time, you camel-mannered, tunic wearing mollycoddle!

Drake Sigar
20-09-2012, 07:05 PM
What was wrong with Awakenings? It seemed to work for me, and I saw various options for if Alistair was king or not playing out differently. The only oddity with it was that you could import your character even if they'd died. Which didn't make sense, but better the option than not.
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Epilogue_(Origins)
All of these options were reduced to a singular course which isn't appropriate for many of the player characters. My Dwarf noble became a paragon, he requested the humans lend their armies in the fight for the deep roads, and he returned to Orzammar. All of this was something I chose to do, and yet for some unfathomable reason I end up in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. You could explain this away with "err, it's your destiny or something!" but we both know my character wasn't represented in the manner I chose.

Again, no biggie, I don't expect Bioware to make a dozen games for every possible ending.

Serenegoose
20-09-2012, 07:08 PM
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Epilogue_(Origins)
All of these options were reduced to a singular course which isn't appropriate for many of the player characters. My Dwarf noble became a paragon, he requested the humans lend their armies in the fight for the deep roads, and he returned to Orzammar. All of this was something I chose to do, and yet for some unfathomable reason I end up in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. You could explain this away with "err, it's your destiny or something!" but we both know my character wasn't represented in the manner I chose.

Again, no biggie, I don't expect Bioware to make a dozen games for every possible ending.

I thought if you had an ending that wasn't compatible you got the generic orlesian warden start. Silly.

deano2099
20-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Well yeah, that's similar to if your Warden is dead. If he's out of the adventuring game then I guess you wouldn't import him. Though imagine the sheer rage of the internet if they'd released it and said "if your Warden chose anything other than 'continue adventuring' in the epilogue, you can't import him"...

NathanH
20-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Well yeah, that's similar to if your Warden is dead. If he's out of the adventuring game then I guess you wouldn't import him. Though imagine the sheer rage of the internet if they'd released it and said "if your Warden chose anything other than 'continue adventuring' in the epilogue, you can't import him"...

The problem there is that if you don't import your Origins Warden into Awakening then you have to choose which save you import into DA2. I don't think there was an option for "import my Origins save into Awakening but use a new Warden".

Oshada
21-09-2012, 08:40 AM
I think there was a mod for that actually.

r3dknight
21-09-2012, 08:52 AM
I LOVE STEN. I completed an evil playthrough where i killed almost everyone i could, and I ended up with just the dog, me, sten and loghain at the end since i told morrigan to leave after banging her. she still returned before the finale to have a baby. so we did it. gaider style.

Sten was praising my every decision, clearly Sten is awesome.

Oshada
21-10-2012, 01:36 AM
First concept art is out: http://blog.bioware.com/2012/10/20/first-look-dragon-age-iii-inquisition-concept-art/

A bit generic I'd say...

Fanbuoy
21-10-2012, 01:54 AM
First concept art is out: http://blog.bioware.com/2012/10/20/first-look-dragon-age-iii-inquisition-concept-art/

A bit generic I'd say...

AFAIK the games have never been accused of having a fresh and unique visual style. But yes, I agree. The images don't really tell me much about the game or the scenery. Well, there are weird big rocks shooting up from the ground, so I guess parts of the game could be inspired by either Nevada or Gotland. Not much desert in the pic though, so I'd say Gotland. (For the ignorant few out there that don't know, Gotland is a Swedish island. With weird big rocks shooting up from the ground.) Also, medieval Switzerland.

It's not quite as brown as the others, but they'll get there eventually.

internetonsetadd
21-10-2012, 02:03 AM
What are those things in the distance in the first image? Land sailing vessels?

Internet
21-10-2012, 02:05 AM
That's more colorful, but there's little to differentiate it from the first two. The first one has plains (without weird rocks), a castle at the top of a mountain, and elven ruins already. At this point I'm tired of elven ruins.

Internet
21-10-2012, 02:07 AM
What are those things in the distance in the first image? Land sailing vessels?

Probably the land ships of the elves. They move around in caravans drawn by reindeer, which reinforces Gotland as a reference.

Fanbuoy
21-10-2012, 02:15 AM
That's more colorful, but there's little to differentiate it from the first two. The first one has plains (without weird rocks), a castle at the top of a mountain, and elven ruins already. At this point I'm tired of elven ruins.

What!? No! It's totally new, different and cool!

1) As you said: weird rocks. NEW
2) Castle Redcliffe was located on more of a big hill than a mountain. NEW (unless we're talking DLC, haven't gotten to those yet but am playing right now)
3) Er... We can't know that the ruins are Elven. They might just look like it. NEW (ish. Maybe.)

And yes, those are Elven land ships.

The JG Man
21-10-2012, 02:17 AM
As mentioned, nothing immediately "Wow, this is amazing!" but nothing that's turning me away. We'll have to see how it's incorporated of course.

internetonsetadd
21-10-2012, 02:19 AM
I can't say that I'm particularly interested in any of this. I liked DA:O's combat quite a bit (I micromanaged), but I have no fond memories of place or story at all. It's just not a world I want to go back to, and these concepts don't help. At least there aren't any dragons in any of them--although I do kind of hope those sails are made of dragon wings.

Internet
21-10-2012, 03:52 AM
What!? No! It's totally new, different and cool!

1) As you said: weird rocks. NEW
2) Castle Redcliffe was located on more of a big hill than a mountain. NEW (unless we're talking DLC, haven't gotten to those yet but am playing right now)
3) Er... We can't know that the ruins are Elven. They might just look like it. NEW (ish. Maybe.)

And yes, those are Elven land ships.

I was talking about the very castle like structure you have to go through to get to the temple with andraste's ashes.