PDA

View Full Version : Offbeat Game Ideas

Kelron
04-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Everyone has their own dream games, but they tend to be the same few concepts coming up again and again. What about your stranger ideas, the games you want to play no matter how bizarre or boring they might seem to other people? Two I've had floating around in my head recently:

Roguelike racing game: applying some roguelike concepts to a racing game, would work best with some measure of realism but personally I'd prefer something that played like GRID to a full on sim. I want a game where crashes are meaningful and reckless driving has consequences beyond restarting the race. Repairs would have to be paid for, damage would persist across multiple races if not repaired. Serious crashes could cause injury or even death.

The game would be structured into a calendar of events over the career of your driver, you would choose which to participate in and your career would come to an end after a number of years. The ultimate goal of course being to retire rich and famous. A wrecked car for a new driver could mean a year out of racing while you earn the money to re-enter (done in the background and fast-forwarded, I don't want a menial job simulator), while a broken arm for a seasoned and sponsored veteran could mean missing an important competition. The threat of injury would make you consider your driving more carefully, and not just go barrelling into every corner until you get it right.

Economic Grand Strategy: Something like Paradox's strategy games but with the emphasis shifted from war to economy. Existing games tend to be heavily focused on making alliances and crushing enemies, with the financial side being reduced to adjusting a handful of sliders to make sure you have enough money to buy soldiers. I'd like to see a game where war is a drastic option and a major event. In keeping with Paradox games there would be no fixed objective - perhaps you want to try and make a sustainable welfare state, a major exporter of goods or a totally free market. You could behave like imperial Britain if you wished, extending the influence of your merchants through gunboat diplomacy, but you'd also have a range of subtler tools available - monetary policies and trade restrictions that can help influence the actions of foreign governments and private investors.

TillEulenspiegel
04-07-2011, 02:30 AM
1. Take an exciting, rich, well-developed medievalesque fantasy world and toss out all the typical roles: adventurers, kings, generals.

What if you're a priest or a monk who's secretly studying necromancy. A game based on the Munich Manual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Manual_of_Demonic_Magic). You have to perform your daily duties while covertly gathering components and performing demonic rituals (in a detailed, adventure-game-style way). How will you use your power? What are the consequences?

Or maybe you're the master of an up-and-coming thieves' guild. You need to set up a headquarters (find a building, install traps and secret passageways), recruit members with various skills, plan heists, bribe guardsmen, threaten officials, and so on.

Or think of any other fantasy world role that isn't usually described by tediously boring words like "epic" and "legendary". The town mayor, a shop owner, an alchemist, a lady at court all offer interesting hooks for games.

2. A 4X game where you play out the daily life of a Grand Space Emperor. You spend your time politicking, drawing up broad strategy, appointing people to run various aspects of your empire, and maybe avoiding assassination attempts. This idea I'm not so sure about. It could be pretty terrible.

8-bit
04-07-2011, 03:29 AM
a turn based tennis rpg is something I thought would be cool a while back but just remembered it recently (no prizes for guessing why I remembered). it would even make a pretty good multiplayer game, you would have the full game on pc with a campaign and everything, then you could download the character to your phone and play multiplayer on the go.

a game where the developers create a world and set out an entire series of events that happen automatically. every time you play you select an npc to control, from a farmer to a king, then try to see how much you can influence those events until the time runs out. the developers job would be to try and adjust to any changes the player might make, and the players job is to push the game until it breaks.

the last man on earth. basically everyone on earth has suddenly disappeared while you weren't looking and the game is figuring out what you want to do until you die. you would have turns (days/weeks) where you decide what to do and the game will tell you how it went. eventually you become old and die (or have an accident) and the reason why everyone else disappeared is never explained.

thats all I've got, I think they are all quite strange ideas myself but considering the number of games being released I wouldn't be surprised if someone already made them. the second would be nearly impossible though because the developers would need to release near daily patches to adjust to what players have done.

raddevon
04-07-2011, 05:05 AM
I would love to make a game about divorce. I could see this working well as something like Digital: A Love Story. It would have multiple branching paths. The emphasis would be on the myriad ambiguous moral dilemmas that stem from ending a marriage and their consequences.

Basilicus
04-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Play the wife of a great warrior who is in distant lands. Stave off political machinations and threats to your house by the powerful warriors and senators left behind while trying to build influence and a powerbase for your husband's political career when he returns home. Perhaps you're a brilliant schemer, or a fine diplomat. Perhaps you've eyes and ears in other courts, or have turned an agent in your own against his master. Perhaps sex comes into the mix and you must conduct affairs (off-screen, please) to help him.

When he returns home, is he a bungler you must set straight, scheme around, or cow into submission? Is he a man of morals whose ideals don't gel with your own plans, or is he so powerhungry so as to frighten potential allies. How do you balance each of these things out and do what you know is best for your household. Is it advantageous to convince him to go off to war again, or do you want him to stay this time? How will you maintain your family's powerbase if he dies?

Obviously I'm thinking a Roman or (Roman-based) fantasy setting would work fantastically.

Rakysh
04-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Could just call it "The Oddessy: Like You've Never Seen It Before (Except In Those Plays Where It Focused On Penelope Anyway)".

Yeah, needs work.

Spacewalk
04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Something that combines Terminal Velocity, Battlezone and Return Fire with elements of Galaxy Force 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUuO-FRJow) and Blaster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2aHvNz59U).

Icarus
04-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Or think of any other fantasy world role that isn't usually described by tediously boring words like "epic" and "legendary". The town mayor, a shop owner, an alchemist, a lady at court all offer interesting hooks for games.

Capitalism, ho! (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/)

Olero
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
1. Take an exciting, rich, well-developed medievalesque fantasy world and toss out all the typical roles: adventurers, kings, generals.

What if you're a priest or a monk who's secretly studying necromancy. A game based on the Munich Manual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Manual_of_Demonic_Magic). You have to perform your daily duties while covertly gathering components and performing demonic rituals (in a detailed, adventure-game-style way). How will you use your power? What are the consequences?

Or maybe you're the master of an up-and-coming thieves' guild. You need to set up a headquarters (find a building, install traps and secret passageways), recruit members with various skills, plan heists, bribe guardsmen, threaten officials, and so on.

Have you played The Guild? (or The Guild 2 for that matter) You can play most of the roles you describe there, and the games are all about setting up a bussiness while scheming your plans for power. You do this by blackmailing opponents, marrying the "right" (fe)male, sent your offspring to college, trade at the market, expand your shop, secure your house etc.

Both Guild games can be a bit buggy, but there are some community fixes available, as well as some nice mods. Great games, both worth buying! I prefer the first Guild, it's not too focused on the whole political side, but The Guild 2 is obviously nicer on the eyes and more complex.

Lukasz
04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Economic Grand Strategy: Something like Paradox's strategy games but with the emphasis shifted from war to economy. Existing games tend to be heavily focused on making alliances and crushing enemies, with the financial side being reduced to adjusting a handful of sliders to make sure you have enough money to buy soldiers. I'd like to see a game where war is a drastic option and a major event. In keeping with Paradox games there would be no fixed objective - perhaps you want to try and make a sustainable welfare state, a major exporter of goods or a totally free market. You could behave like imperial Britain if you wished, extending the influence of your merchants through gunboat diplomacy, but you'd also have a range of subtler tools available - monetary policies and trade restrictions that can help influence the actions of foreign governments and private investors.

isn't that victoria 2? i don't know as i didn't play it yet but it seems like it is.

Vexing Vision
04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
My game idea runs around being a free-form RPG where several kingdoms are at war with each other, a randomly generated world not unlike Dwarf Fortress' excellent worldcreationkit and detail of simulation.

Unlike more current games, however, you'll not play the part of a hero but seriously "make your place in the world". Either as a soldier of fortune, joining the armies and battling it out. Or adventurer, roaming the lands and doing things adventurers do. Or a merchant, trading. A slaver, capitalizing on the ravages of war. Or a farmer, because the level of simulation detail also takes into account the growth of different plants.

So, basically Oblivion's Radiant AI the way it was supposed to be + Dwarf Fortress + Ars Magicka + Harvest Moon.

riadsala
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
My game idea runs around being a free-form RPG where several kingdoms are at war with each other, a randomly generated world not unlike Dwarf Fortress' excellent worldcreationkit and detail of simulation.

Unlike more current games, however, you'll not play the part of a hero but seriously "make your place in the world". Either as a soldier of fortune, joining the armies and battling it out. Or adventurer, roaming the lands and doing things adventurers do. Or a merchant, trading. A slaver, capitalizing on the ravages of war. Or a farmer, because the level of simulation detail also takes into account the growth of different plants.

So, basically Oblivion's Radiant AI the way it was supposed to be + Dwarf Fortress + Ars Magicka + Harvest Moon.

Very similar to my ideal RPG! One with a decent, an interesting procedurally generated series of quests. Always thought a good solution would be implement a simplified version of a Civ game as a back-end meta game thing. So the AI's in the meta-game will manage their kingdoms and wage wars dynamically. But behind the scenes for the most part. Then your character can go about trying to make a living... join in the army and try and survive a bloody medieval battle. Or take on spy missions, etc. If you do well, then maybe you'll help tip the balance of power for your king.

Would be cool to couple it with an ageing mechanic like in Pirates! you have do decide if it's worth going out on one more quest, or settle down, start a family, and enter the hall of fame. Then you can replay and try and do better!

Kelron
04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
isn't that victoria 2? i don't know as i didn't play it yet but it seems like it is.

I admit I never managed to get into Victoria, and probably should. I get the impression it's still quite geared towards imperialism, whereas I'm thinking of a game with that extends into modern times, with less focus on day-to-day management of empire and armies.

archonsod
04-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I admit I never managed to get into Victoria, and probably should. I get the impression it's still quite geared towards imperialism, whereas I'm thinking of a game with that extends into modern times, with less focus on day-to-day management of empire and armies.

Vicky 2 is more of a social simulator than a national one. Not that you can't go conquer Africa or the like, but doing so only means you now have to worry about industrialising tribespeople.

The roguelike racing simulator reminds me of the vehicle combat in Roadwar Europa. Could definitely make a pretty fun game out of it.

TillEulenspiegel
04-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Capitalism, ho! (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/)
I dearly love Recettear, but it's a very silly, JRPG-y take on the notion. I'm thinking more of a detailed economic sim like Patrician II, but you're stuck in one place instead of controlling a fleet, and you have many many more wares.

I prefer the first Guild, it's not too focused on the whole political side, but The Guild 2 is obviously nicer on the eyes and more complex.
I've only played The Guild II, and found that it did a whole lot of things, but none of them very well. Based on the description, it <i>should</i> be my dream game, but I simply don't like how they've implemented, well, anything. It also uses a fairly straight medieval setting, rather than a fantasy one. Both are good, but they offer different possibilities.

No, I'm thinking about several more focused games:
- a city builder
- an economic sim
- a game of courtly intrigue, as played by some tabletop RPG groups

And so on. Deep games, rather than broad ones.

Kelron
04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I've only played The Guild II, and found that it did a whole lot of things, but none of them very well. Based on the description, it <i>should</i> be my dream game, but I simply don't like how they've implemented, well, anything..

I felt the same. There's a lot less depth to it than it seems at first, and when the novelty starts to wear off the general bugginess and lack of polish get harder to overlook.

Basilicus
04-07-2011, 03:28 PM

You can do everything you describe except farming in Mount and Blade. Bounty hunter, mercenary, errand boy, merchant, slave trader, bandit hunter, tournament competitor, livestock retriever. You know, if you don't mind severe and pervasive wonkiness.

Cooper
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
A Puzzle game based around Bullet Time.

Generating astounding John Woo / Matrix esque choreography.

It would be played in an overhead view. Each puzzle would involve giving a character a set of directions. Jump here, cartwheel there, as leaping full force over a pew fire directly at enemy's heads then fall into a forward roll, all the while doves fly everywhere.

That sort of thing.

If you have ever played any of the Metal gear Solid series "VR" missions (like in 1 &2) type of thing, and gotten almost-perfect scores, then imagine something like that, but where instead of it being reaction-based, you can plan out -exactly- what you do before hand, and watch it play out (and can plan all sorts of fancy gun-play and impossible acrobatics...)

The directions would look something like the Frozen Synpase system, but be much more exacting, and the whole thing would not be turn-based. So as well as chosing where to go, you can chose how (simply running, walking, or leaping, vaulting, sommersaulting, etc...) and who / what direction to be firing at whilst you do that. The environments would be much less abstract though.

The puzzle aspect would involve eliminating all enemies or getting to certain places. Either in a time-limit of within some kind of resource-limited scenario (where giving directions usues up some kind of resource...)

There would be limited AI. They would move,m take cover and shoot back at you, all in reazction to the directions you are planning (so what they do will change as you plan the directions) and you'd have to plan your directions so as to avoid bullets. Part of the puzzle would involve planning moves so as to both avoid the AI shooting you, and moving in such a way as to force the AI routines into mistakes, or taking advantage, etc.

During the planning stage, hovering over any point on the route you have laid out, shows a trail of each bullet in the air, and where it is - so you know exactly how to dodge them. Any point that would elad you to getting shot would be highlighted, so you can go back and change.

So, yes, in summary: The bullet-time esque acrobatics of Max Payne, and then some, implemented through Frozen Synpase style planning system all together producing a puzzle game...

BobsLawnService
04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
A game based around genetics. You are given a certain amount of randomly generated creatures with different abilities, strengths, weaknesses, powers, etc. Like Carrier command your job is to capture an archipeligo of islands with different enemies, etc. before you attack an island you need to take the creatures you own and cross breed them, basically genetically creating your army before each battle. Cull creatures that don't have the traits you want, interbreed those you want to see in future generations until you take your army and invade an island. You need to take into account the type of enemies as well as the terrain when you breed your army. Since you raise an army exactly how you and random genetic mutation command you work out unique strategies and combinations. The battles will be RTS/squad based.

Jockie
04-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Off the top of my head and with minimal thought gone into them -

Caveman - You start as a neanderthal struggling to survive in a harsh world, with neither skill or knowledge to do anything but hit people with sticks. Taking cues from games like super-metroid you have to discover new abilities around the world that allow you to progress and evolve, perhaps you learn the rudiments of language, that allow you to interact with neighbours, rather than see them as purely hostile. Other obvious progressions would be learning to make fire, or creating basic tools that allow you to hunt, build and farm etc. It would differ from minecraft with a more RPG-like progression and the idea that you are not just a lone explorer, but the protector of a clan. Your job would eventually be to elevate your clan above all others and conquer, annex or out-survive them, by evolving from a basic upright simian, to a more sophisticated and cunning proto-human. Obviously the name needs work.

Bird of Prey - We've seen flying sims before that attempt to ape the physics and reality of aeroplanes. How about a Kinect game, where you have to flap your arms like a twat in your front room as you prey on weaker species? Obviously for a PC version you'd need a dual joystick setup.

Politician Game (Given up entirely with names now) - We've seen politics games that take a very spreadsheet apprach to politics. I'd like to see a sort of adventure/rpg game, where you have to rise from spotty private-schoolboy who nobody likes, into a full member of parliament, choosing your revolutionary policies, persuading people to vote for you and generally being a lying shitbag. An in-depth conversation system, similar to Alpha Protocol would need to exist, where you have to figure out the person you're speaking to, then choose the appropriate lie to try and trick them into believing in you. Playing evil is always fun.

BobsLawnService
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Politician Game (Given up entirely with names now) - We've seen politics games that take a very spreadsheet apprach to politics. I'd like to see a sort of adventure/rpg game, where you have to rise from spotty private-schoolboy who nobody likes, into a full member of parliament, choosing your revolutionary policies, persuading people to vote for you and generally being a lying shitbag. An in-depth conversation system, similar to Alpha Protocol would need to exist, where you have to figure out the person you're speaking to, then choose the appropriate lie to try and trick them into believing in you. Playing evil is always fun.

Republic : The Revolution. Bonkers almost entirely incomprehensible, unique, utterly brilliant. Should run on modern PC's and looks pretty good.

Jockie
04-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Republic : The Revolution. Bonkers almost entirely incomprehensible, unique, utterly brilliant. Should run on modern PC's and looks pretty good.

I'm familiar with the game, it was by Demmis Hassabis and Elixir, but I'd heard it was nigh-on unplayable due to bugs and incomprehensible mechanics. Might have a scout around for it though.

Colonel J
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Russell Hoban's Riddley Walke (http://www.ocelotfactory.com/hoban/riddley.html)r created as an open-world RPG with you as the title character. There is a plot arc similar to the book but multiple paths and endings, though like the book don't expect unambiguous resolution at the end of the game.

A fully realised game world from the novel - imagine a fusion of Stalker and Witcher in a brutal post-apocalyptic hell, a society many hundreds of years after 20th century civilisation was bombed back to pre-medieval dirt. The technology available to you is rural and medieval at best - the science and technology of the 20th century is now little more than archaeological relics, myth and superstition and vestigal folk memory left in the language.

Most important, the whole thing, text and audio, must be in the demotic language of the book. Part of the journey into the game is trying to understand Riddley's world through his words and his eyes.

I am avoiding plot spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the book. If you haven't, it's a masterpiece.

Sales-wise, this would really bomb. A few would love it forever. Get a Russian studio do it, ideally it should be as buggy (initially) and wonky and idiosyncratic as Stalker and Precursors etc.

Kelron
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm familiar with the game, it was by Demmis Hassabis and Elixir, but I'd heard it was nigh-on unplayable due to bugs and incomprehensible mechanics. Might have a scout around for it though.

The biggest problem at the was the specs required to get it to run smoothly, not an issue nowadays. It's a strange game that didn't live up the original vision, but worth playing anyway. It's cheap and easy to get hold of a boxed copy.

Colonel J
04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Another game world from a novel I'd like to see - Alasdair Gray's Lanark. First person point & click in the Amnesia engine. With city-based open world sections in Glasgow/Unthank. Part of your survival is having to make outsider art works, really make them yourself in the game, at least the theme and design choices for the works if not the full execution.

TillEulenspiegel
04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Here, have another:

A survival horror CRPG. No, there are no zombies, but maybe there's a Lovecraftian tinge with a hint of The Descent. A dungeon crawl like no other, where your characters are pitifully weak compared to the monsters. Careful tactics and resource management are key. You probably want to set traps and block off doorways as you explore. Damage is realistic: wounds can fester, and a broken bone is a dire situation. Characters can have a variety of skills and spells, but most exist to help create interesting tactics rather than aid direct confrontation. Similarly, each monster has attributes that are more than simple damage modifiers. How you confront a semi-intelligent goblin is entirely different from how you might handle a giant snake or a normal-sized venomous snake or an acidic slime (with sodium hydroxide, of course).

When you want to rest, you'll need to find a safe room, seal the door, and set alarms. Food is obviously important: you need to eat and drink to survive, and food can spoil.

An interface like X-COM or Jagged Alliance 2 would probably work best. I'm thinking that the dungeon wouldn't be your entire world; instead, you could make runs to the surface to remove an injured companion or replenish supplies. But the journey to the nearest town takes a long time, so you should probably send only one runner, while the rest guard the areas you've already secured.

Lots of potential variations on the idea, ranging from Lovecraftian explorers discovering dark secrets, to a more conventional goal of killing a bunch of monsters and sealing up the portal to hell. Or maybe it's both.

Wizardry
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
A survival horror CRPG.
http://i55.tinypic.com/sq102e.jpg

Doesn't do much of what you want, though.

Shark
04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Basically http://store.steampowered.com/app/39000/ (Moonbase Alpha) as a full blown colony management game having you take over different roles ranging from maintenance personal to scientists up to the commander directing the actions and resources.

Colonel J
04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Here, have another:

A survival horror CRPG. No, there are no zombies, but maybe there's a Lovecraftian tinge with a hint of The Descent. A dungeon crawl like no other, where your characters are pitifully weak compared to the monsters. Careful tactics and resource management are key. You probably want to set traps and block off doorways as you explore. Damage is realistic: wounds can fester, and a broken bone is a dire situation. Characters can have a variety of skills and spells, but most exist to help create interesting tactics rather than aid direct confrontation. Similarly, each monster has attributes that are more than simple damage modifiers. How you confront a semi-intelligent goblin is entirely different from how you might handle a giant snake or a normal-sized venomous snake or an acidic slime (with sodium hydroxide, of course).

When you want to rest, you'll need to find a safe room, seal the door, and set alarms. Food is obviously important: you need to eat and drink to survive, and food can spoil.

An interface like X-COM or Jagged Alliance 2 would probably work best. I'm thinking that the dungeon wouldn't be your entire world; instead, you could make runs to the surface to remove an injured companion or replenish supplies. But the journey to the nearest town takes a long time, so you should probably send only one runner, while the rest guard the areas you've already secured.

Lots of potential variations on the idea, ranging from Lovecraftian explorers discovering dark secrets, to a more conventional goal of killing a bunch of monsters and sealing up the portal to hell. Or maybe it's both.

Ha, cheerful bunch aren't we :-) Hell yes I'd play that. On a JA2 theme - perhaps you could put on a front end where you are recruiting a team investigators Call of Cthulhu paper-RPG style, the outside world is also globe-spanning campaign with choices of locations to go to.

Different idea. Continuing on a Lovecraft / Amensia theme, when I read this (http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2011/the-amnesia-support-group/) on Gaming Daily it struck me how good a co-op kind of Amnesia could be, where you are in voice communication with another player who is in a different location most of the time, and you role play it as much as you see fit. Drop two more players in the dark, maybe at completely different ends of the dungeon. You have to meet up and co-operate - or not - to get out. The other person may have different plot-based objectives that are hidden from you. Certain events could start to drive you mad or paranoid and cause you to try to kill or leave behind your comrade rather than co-operate to save him.

CWalker
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM
An epic scale sci-fi sandboxy shooty thing. There would be many factions, huge battles on ground and in space, with seamless transitions between atmosphere and lack of atmosphere. You could be a grunt, pilot of fighters, bombers, dropships, there would be loads of roles to choose from, like medics and engineers and suchlike.
If you so wished, you could be a commander of forces, sending them to attack places and stuff, or a lowly security guard for a colony, or a dropship pilot, or a pirate, or even just a lowly colonist. The battles would be bloody colossal, empires could rise and fall, revolutions could sprain up depending on what any of the factions do to piss off people...I would like this.

Basically, a mix between ARMA, Freespace, Total War, and all sorts of other stuff :P

Will probably never happen, but if it did, you would need to hire a hitman to drag me away from it :D

DeekyFun
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Hmm, offbeat ideas, eh? I'd like to see EA do an expansion pack for the Sims that puts in all the depressing stuff from life, for example:

- It's hard to get a job - no more just applying and getting it - and, if you do get in, it's hard to get to the top. No more households with six CEO's of the same company. Same with School. Not all children are Straight-A students.
- Houses aren't affordable - chances are, you'll be living in a slum, or some box in the park. Mortgage payments, housing schemes, dodgy landlords who have to be called before you repair that broken shower; hidden estate agent fees waiting to trip you up.
- Evil Sims are actually evil - not just cackling and prodding people. Muggers and scoundrels haunt the streets.
- Similarly, depression and anxiety are traits that actually work. No more creating an introverted miserable Sim and finding him cooking hot-dogs for all his new friends in the park when you next take a look at him.
- Death, disease, sexually transmitted illness, random acts of tragedy. Hatred which results in meaningful behaviours.

Oh and 10 new items.

On a serious note, I do actually wish they would focus on some of more negative aspects of life - the whole american dream ideal is nice and all, but I think to truly appreciate the good you need to have the bad.

D

TillEulenspiegel
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Ha, cheerful bunch aren't we :-)
Well, I'd be happy to focus on the survival with less of the horror. I'm just having trouble coming up with a scenario that preserves the tension of exploration and the challenge of combat without a bit of creeping fear. The enemies need not be Eldritch Abominations; your standard D&D Monster Manual seen in a different light would do just fine.

Anyway, it's an idea I had in (*checks notes*) early 2009 and haven't developed since. I'm not entirely sure it would work and be fun. It needs a lot of creativity to develop tactical options, and could easily wind up too hard and frustrating. The only idea I've mentioned here that I'm really attached to is the thieves' guild thing; I'm quite confident that could develop into either a simple tycoon-ish game or a deeper sim.

archonsod
04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
A game based around genetics. You are given a certain amount of randomly generated creatures with different abilities, strengths, weaknesses, powers, etc. Like Carrier command your job is to capture an archipeligo of islands with different enemies, etc. before you attack an island you need to take the creatures you own and cross breed them

Unnatural Selection did just that. Old DOS game by Maxis I think, used to have it on floppy. Wasn't bad for the time.

JamesG
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
I'd love to see something really try and play with a branching plotline, which really makes full use of the first person story perspective of some games. By which I mean, not only do events change, but the player's perspective of them will fully change with respect to what they know, and what they've experienced. The guy being wrongly stitched up by the politician, that you find the evidence to clear, to another player is the thief who was threatening to sabotage said politicians plans with the release of incriminating documents. Its the same thief, and whether the theft happened or not doesn't change, just the player's impressions.

But the thing is, I don't particularly want to be killing folk left right and centre while doing this. There is often a fundamental unreal aspect of RPGs, where the number of enemies killed in a game is astronomical, and only the names ones get a chance to plead their case. I'm not saying no death (although any game where you can do a pacifist run gains an extra 5% in my mind) but something where combat mechanics are either entirely absent, or incredibly restricted.

How to achieve this and avoid it feeling like an interactive movie however is difficult.

mlaskus
04-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Oh, what a lovely thread. Let me add some ideas of mine.

Shapeshifter: An RPG in which you can change shape into a dragon/wolverine/whatever monster. Fighting is supposed to be devilishly hard and death is permanent, but when you change forms, you can wipe out pretty much anything without breaking a sweat. The thing is, if there are any witnesses or if people find the horribly mutilated bodies that you left behind, they will start spreading rumours about you. If you gain enough notoriety, adventurers, knights wanting to prove their worth, monster hunters or mages looking for ingredients from your body will all start arriving in the area and hunting for you.

Conspirators: A 4 person coop game in which players are supposed to kill a king, but they also want to eliminate the other conspirators. The task should be impossible to do on your own, they players have to work together to complete it. The point is, you never know when to expect a knife in the back.

Kelron
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
But the thing is, I don't particularly want to be killing folk left right and centre while doing this. There is often a fundamental unreal aspect of RPGs, where the number of enemies killed in a game is astronomical, and only the names ones get a chance to plead their case. I'm not saying no death (although any game where you can do a pacifist run gains an extra 5% in my mind) but something where combat mechanics are either entirely absent, or incredibly restricted.

How to achieve this and avoid it feeling like an interactive movie however is difficult.

Is there anything wrong with an interactive movie, as long as we're talking about branching storylines? There's been a number of recent games that do clever and interesting things with the plot, but tie it to unnecessarily "gamey" systems.

Alpha Protocol's story would lend itself well to a slower, more investigative game. The challenge would come from sneaking or bluffing your past lone security guards, getting information out of reluctant informers and piecing together the evidence you've gathered to draw your own conclusions.

Games like AP and Deus Ex include some of this already, but it always ends up being a limited sections of games that are still mostly about shooting bad guys.

Lukasz
05-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Hmm, offbeat ideas, eh? I'd like to see EA do an expansion pack for the Sims that puts in all the depressing stuff from life, for example:

- It's hard to get a job - no more just applying and getting it - and, if you do get in, it's hard to get to the top. No more households with six CEO's of the same company. Same with School. Not all children are Straight-A students.
- Houses aren't affordable - chances are, you'll be living in a slum, or some box in the park. Mortgage payments, housing schemes, dodgy landlords who have to be called before you repair that broken shower; hidden estate agent fees waiting to trip you up.
- Evil Sims are actually evil - not just cackling and prodding people. Muggers and scoundrels haunt the streets.
- Similarly, depression and anxiety are traits that actually work. No more creating an introverted miserable Sim and finding him cooking hot-dogs for all his new friends in the park when you next take a look at him.
- Death, disease, sexually transmitted illness, random acts of tragedy. Hatred which results in meaningful behaviours.

Oh and 10 new items.

On a serious note, I do actually wish they would focus on some of more negative aspects of life - the whole american dream ideal is nice and all, but I think to truly appreciate the good you need to have the bad.

D

first day purchase for me and for god's sake. sims 3 can be modded? WHY HAVE NOBODY EVER DONE IT?

tomeoftom
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Cooper: That <i>is</i> bizarre, and sounds really interesting. Depending upon how much terrible controls and UI annoy you, you might absolutely love http://www.toribash.com/, which is both free and essentially what you've described, but with hand-to-hand instead of guns.

This has been a fantastic thread; some really interesting stuff.

Vexing Vision
05-07-2011, 05:24 PM
On another note, I would love to see a lot more games with asymmetric gameplay, a la the amazing sounding Spy Party (http://www.spyparty.com/).

I'm busy armchair-designing an Agricola-like boardgame where every pawn placed causes a different effect dependent on what "faction" you chose to play. It'll be called "Tyranny", and there are no good guys. Also, it'll probably never see the light of day, because it's a hell to balance.

Ayam
05-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Rain Race: a game about rain droplets on a car window trying to swallow up other droplets to race faster down to the errr ...car door proper, which is the finish line.

Aethelwulf
06-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Rain Race: a game about rain droplets on a car window trying to swallow up other droplets to race faster down to the errr ...car door proper, which is the finish line.

Ahhh many an hour spent in the car as a child doing this very thing. Would make for an oddly relaxing game, give this man a hug or a manly pat on the back.

SMiD
06-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Oh and 10 new items.

D

Can it please be called The Slums? And I would buy this just to be a dick to the little Simlings.

Batolemaeus
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
A war survival game. You're playing a neutral party in a place that happens to be a battleground for two or more huge empires stuck in a perpetual war of attrition. There will be almost constant combat around.
Not set in the present. Either an apocalyptic future or medieval low fantasy.

The goal is simple survival. Salvage from the world can be used to build shelter and hideouts. Camouflaging of such places is important and it's possible to build underground. The world supports full terraforming and regrowing flora, which the player is expected to use for camouflage and to build underground shelter. Played from the first person perspective I'd say.

Gameplay should consist of trying to find a good hiding place protected from the open engagements of the warring empires, then going out to salvage while constantly trying to keep a low profile. If the player is very good, it should be possible for him to ambush supply convoys or take out scouting parties coming too close to his hideout.

Resources need to be scarce and the warring parties would probably be the only ones bringing in new stuff. Weapons, tools etc.

Developing a way to procedurally generate cities and landscape with realistically destroyed or damaged buildings would probably be a major task but a massive improvement. Dito for a system that sends in armies to battle each other. Ideally, the player should experience being trapped between two fronts. If set in a future setting, it shouldn't be the far future. No lasers, but brutal artillery impacts and mayhem.

Ayam
06-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Ahhh many an hour spent in the car as a child doing this very thing. Would make for an oddly relaxing game, give this man a hug or a manly pat on the back.
It'll happen if the Hydrophobia team concentrate their resources on my project.

DeekyFun
07-07-2011, 05:55 PM
How about a platform game where you play the role of the forces attempting to stop the protagonist character from reading the right hand check-point of the level? So the game starts with either an AI controlled Mario-style characters running from the left through the level, and, slightly ahead, the player is given a set of tools to lay down obstacles and enemies to try and stop him from getting to the end. Control over the platforms and general level layout should probably be limited as that would make things too easy perhaps.

You could have a multiplayer mode where a second player takes control of the protagonist character(s). And maybe different characters having slightly different abilities so the first player has to try and account for them.

D

raddevon
07-07-2011, 06:26 PM
How about a platform game where you play the role of the forces attempting to stop the protagonist character from reading the right hand check-point of the level? So the game starts with either an AI controlled Mario-style characters running from the left through the level, and, slightly ahead, the player is given a set of tools to lay down obstacles and enemies to try and stop him from getting to the end. Control over the platforms and general level layout should probably be limited as that would make things too easy perhaps.

You could have a multiplayer mode where a second player takes control of the protagonist character(s). And maybe different characters having slightly different abilities so the first player has to try and account for them.

D
This idea has potential.

Smashbox
19-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Sorry for dredging the past here, but this is a brilliant thread.

How about a combination rogue-like economic sim. Instead of conquering dungeons, you must "civilize" islands of differing difficulty and containing different natural resources. These resources could be used to enhance the wealth of a country/kingdom/corporation's economy. Trade goods could be used to craft efficiency-improving trade network structures and technologies and could provide access to better training and equipment for heroes. Surviving heroes could return to the hub city/country to adventure again after successfully conquering an island, but casualties would be forever lost.

Combat could be handled purely deterministically, in a puzzle like fashion similar to Desktop Dungeons, or in a more robust, traditional RPG style.

Keep
19-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Brilliant thread. Some ones that get a "Yes please!" from me:

A Puzzle game based around Bullet Time

A game based around genetics.

Caveman - You start as a neanderthal struggling to survive in a harsh world, with neither skill or knowledge to do anything but hit people with sticks.

How about a platform game where you play the role of the forces attempting to stop the protagonist character from reading the right hand check-point of the level?

How about a combination rogue-like economic sim. Instead of conquering dungeons, you must "civilize" islands of differing difficulty and containing different natural resources.

All of these sound great to my ears.

the last man on earth. basically everyone on earth has suddenly disappeared while you weren't looking and the game is figuring out what you want to do until you die.

This'd also be cool, but I'd find it totally amazing if it was set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy Tolkien-esque universe. Loads of lore and mystical ruins and suggested history; no people, very few fights or encounters.

And one idea of my own: a game based on alchemy. You have a number of elements, you have a number of ways of manipulating them, you must find out which process will produce the Philosopher's Stone.

Basically 'The History of Chemistry: The Game', but in a much more game-y way. There's an underlying chemical system (one that doesn't match reality's, but maybe approaches what Aristotle or Jabir ibn Hayyan or Roger Bacon supposed the natural world was - 'fire; air; earth; water', or 'sulphur; salt; aether') and it's up to you, the player, to figure it out and use it for your own purposes.

Skeletor68
19-08-2011, 11:52 AM
The idea of a racing rogue-like would be brilliant with perma-death. Imagine the tension of racing multiplayer with people and balancing getting to the front and overtaking with not crashing and sustaining a fatal injury. I wouldn't give the car weapons, possibly just rely on out-manouevring/edging people off the track like a bastard.

As a separate note that Neanderthal game sounds amazing as a hardcore sim. If done properly it could foster a deep emotional attachment to protecting/providing for your family. Heading out during the day to hunt, fending off rival tribes. Perhaps eventually integrating yourself with a larger community. It could also be possible to have a set number of years before you die where you need to improve family's standing, teach your children before you pass on and continue from your child's perspective. Slowly working through the stone age perhaps all the way to the bronze? Obviously cut down on the amount of generations required. Kinda like SPore with people?

Keep
19-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Kinda like SPore with people?

Not just that - Spore with a tech tree...

Lambchops
19-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Some great ideas folks.

One concept I'd always like to see explored is a game that starts with the concept of being under suspicion for a crime you didn't commit (something like the start of Fahrenheit). However it would be a more roguelike style take on the concept. You'd have to try and evade the authorities as long as possible. There'd be various challenges depending on the circumstance of the starting character (eg if you have a family do you try and take them with you? Your neighbour spots you leaving, how do you deal with it? etc). Winning would be exceptionally difficult and would rely on either managing to evade capture long enough for your name to be cleared or on finding evidence yourself which clears your name (obviously a risky business as it draws you into the world of whoever it was who framed you).

----

My other concept is nigh on completely unworkable. It's set in a dystopia where the population is controlled by the ruling dictatorship's army of clones. A group of freedom fighters has managed to get a hold of the cloning tech. You'd start the game as a sole clone warrior tasked with raising funds/stealing resources to be able to create more clones and swell the ranks of the freedom fighters. This would take place a vast series of optional missions, with a wide array of approaches possible. Upgrades would be available based on genetic research efforts. Focus on certain areas leads to clones with different skill sets. Some combinations of traits may lead to mutations which make new skills available.

As you get richer and more clones become available you can take more of a command position instead of being a gun for hire. You can command squads of clones to tackle tougher missions. Then you can start to play a tactical long game and instead of focusing on bank heists and raiding enemy research institutes you can instead plant undercover agents for espionage activities. Any character who you create has a persistent history in the world so you can plot increasingly elaborate operations such as implanting an undercover agent into the enemies security forces and then having him capture one of your clones who is a known wanted terrorist, thereby gaining him a position of authority which he can then abuse for greater gain. But beware, the enemy may be using similar tactics! So be careful who you trust.

Towards the end of the game you will reach a level of resources in which you can engage in all out warfare with the enemy in an effort to destroy their ability to make clones with the ultimate aim of overthrowing them from power and destroying the entire clone making apparatus of thier side (and presumably yours as well, after all you don't want to become what you sought to overthrow do you?).

Lambchops
19-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Basically 'The History of Chemistry: The Game', but in a much more game-y way. There's an underlying chemical system (one that doesn't match reality's, but maybe approaches what Aristotle or Jabir ibn Hayyan or Roger Bacon supposed the natural world was - 'fire; air; earth; water', or 'sulphur; salt; aether') and it's up to you, the player, to figure it out and use it for your own purposes.

I think a very simplistic version of this exists as a Flash game where you have to try and make as many things as possible. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

Berzee
19-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Oh that's a dangerous game sir, a dangerous game indeed.

"You know that incurable gamblers sometimes bet on a race between two
raindrops. But there is this specially about the sport; that it is
abstract and equal and gives one a sense of impartiality. If you bet on
a dog-fight, you may find you really sympathize with a Scotch terrier
against an Irish terrier, or vice versa; you may like the look of a
billiard player or even the colours of a jockey. Therefore the event may
go _against_ your sympathies; and you will realize your limitations. But
in the case of those two crystal spheres hung in a void of transparency,
there is something like the equal scales of an abstract justice; you
feel that whichever wins might be the one you had chosen. You may
easily, in a certain secret megalomania, persuade yourself it is the one
you have chosen. It is easy to imagine oneself controlling things hung
so evenly. That was when I said to him, to test whether I was following
his train of thought, 'It makes you feel like God.' Did you think I was
talking about the storm? Storm! Pooh! Why should a storm make a man
think he's God? If he'd got any sense it might make him feel he wasn't.
But I knew that Saunders was just at the delicate crisis, where he was
half trying to believe he was. He was half trying to think he had really
changed the weather and might change everything; and a game like that of
the raindrops was just the thing to encourage him. He really felt as if
he were Omnipotence looking at two falling stars: and he was the special
providence in them.
</pre>

measurements
19-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I'd quite like a game where you're in spaceship and you just fly about the universe. Seamlessly and with almost endless detail. Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4). But perfect.

The goal, if such a thing is required, could be to take awesome screenshots.

Smashbox
19-08-2011, 06:08 PM
The goal, if such a thing is required, could be to take awesome screenshots.

This is a great goal for many games. I wish it would be expanded on more as games get more visually impressive.

Also, I'm so happy this thread has come back to life.

TillEulenspiegel
19-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Continuing with my theme of games where you play a role that is not the star of the show, here's one variant on an idea:

Babylon 5, the game. You're just some poor schlub on a space station trying to make a living, or a member of the criminal underworld, or the attache of an ambassador. Trade goods and information, conspire for political power. Your actions have an influence on what happens in the galaxy - as always, not in a scripted way, but as part of a dynamic, simulated world, where EarthGov, the Shadows, PsiCorps, the B5 command staff, and every other faction is working towards achieving their own goals.

You could start a war by passing off misinformation or assassinating an ambassador. Or you could improve life on the station by making the right deals while carving out some economic power for yourself. Or maybe you just want to figure out what the hell the Vorlons are up to.

Obviously replace B5 with your own politically-driven science fiction universe, and it's fine. It's all about the station, though. You can do business with those who arrive on transports, but you can't hop on one yourself.

Keep
19-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I think a very simplistic version of this exists as a Flash game where you have to try and make as many things as possible. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

Oh I've played it. Thing is, it's bullshit. "Electricity + Mud = DNA!" "Wood + Fire = COAL" (I'm serious. That's what happened.)

Blurgh.

I'd in mind something much more coherent and reasonable. More low-key, systematic, scientific. With elemental states and properties, and different interactions beyond just "combine", to help you to figure out what the properties are and how to make (or break down) compounds.

Somewhat Okay Shepherd
19-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Star Wars: Rebel Espionage

Basic resource allotment/risk assessment game in which the currency is Bothan Spies. You want to infiltrate an Imperial Facility to retrieve data? Spend three Bothan spies. Sabotage a production facility? TEN Bothan spies. Run a propaganda machine on the Bothan homeworld to increase Bothan spy recruitment? Five Bothan spies.

Berzee
19-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd in mind something much more coherent and reasonable. More low-key, systematic, scientific. With elemental states and properties, and different interactions beyond just "combine", to help you to figure out what the properties are and how to make (or break down) compounds.

And then, when you have it working perfectly, drop it into an MMORPG as a replacement for the archaic "click a button and wait 40 seconds" style alchemy. Excellent :D
(well...maybe we don't want to take interesting little games and make them into MMORPG minigames as a matter of course...)

Smashbox
19-08-2011, 07:30 PM
How about a tobacco industry sim, wherein you manage farmers, fields, money supplies, advertising, PR, government regulations and internal power struggles. You must get to the top of the company and make it as profitable as possible, deal with protests and lawsuits and generally be a monster.

Maybe expanding your personal fortune is a factor as well.

JackShandy
20-08-2011, 04:23 AM
Minecraft, except you wear your house.

Nalano
20-08-2011, 08:06 AM

I have a copy. It wasn't incomprehensible - just dull after a while. Feels less like a revolution and more like a management system of pamphleteers.

Arona Daal
10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
One of the more complex Roguelikes like Incursion or Stone Soup as a 3D First Person *Coop* Dungeon Crawler.

With each Skillset/Class having completely different playing styles.

Melee Combat: Skill and Reflex = Mount & Blade Combat but improved and with realistic Physics like Momentum/Mass /Sharpness

Magic : Brains/Management/Paranoia =A more complex Magicka/Dungeon Master/Puzzler like approach where your Magic is as dangerous to you as to your enemies.

Stealth : maybe something like the Thief Series

Essentially small Team Coop MultiplayerOnlineFirstPersonRpgs (MOFRPGs?)

Commercially this could be extended with DLCs : Overworld/Different Dungeons/other Settings (Sci fi/Espionage)

btw:where the Hell can i set my Avatar Picture?

westyfield
10-09-2011, 07:08 PM
A naval game, set in different time-periods (age of sail, age of steam, WW1, WW2, Cold-War-gone-hot). You (the captain) wander around the ship Mass Effect-style, chatting to different people, and issue orders from the bridge. You don't control the ship directly, you give the order to set course on a bearing of such-and-such, target that particular enemy, fire a broadside, and so on. You have to put in to port to resupply, replace dead/injured crewmembers and modify your ship (add extra anti-aircraft guns, for example). You can accelerate time, otherwise it could get boring, but battles can be played out in real-time or you can pause to issue orders then watch them play out.
Basically, a big naval sim, but you play from a first- or third-person perspective.
I want to stand on the bow of HMS Victory, in a howling gale, with my telescope to my eye, searching for a safe harbour. I want to wander the decks of HMS Ark Royal, scouring the horizon for the smoke from the Bismarck, ready to launch torpedo bombers.

btw:where the Hell can i set my Avatar Picture?

At the top of the page, click 'settings', then down on the left click 'edit avatar'. Then either upload a picture from your computer or enter the url for one on the internet. 80*80 pixel limit, and must be 19.5 kB or under.

Xercies
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I would also like a game like that, something a bit more realistic maybe for my tastes. A 17th century ship simulator would be a cool game for me, like that film Master and Commander only in game form.

Keep
19-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Waking this thread up again to post an idea I had.

A game in which you're given a huge natural environment to explore, like Minecraft or Skyrim or such. It's a whole detailed open world, it's got wildlife, weather, ecologies, mountains, vistas, caves, the whole shebang. You're told that somewhere out in the wilderness of this world is someone in need of rescuing. And you're tasked with doing it. Ropes, torches, first aid kits, whatever you need. Just find them.

But here's the neat bit: Everytime you die - by getting trapped underground or falling off a mountain or whatever - you restart back in the first outpost again with your goal duly updated: "Rescue the previous rescue mission (i.e. your own useless ass)".

Wizardry
19-11-2011, 01:28 AM
But here's the neat bit: Everytime you die - by getting trapped underground or falling off a mountain or whatever - you restart back in the first outpost again with your goal duly updated: "Rescue the previous rescue mission (i.e. your own useless ass)".
Wizardry..

Keep
19-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Wizardry..

??

If you wanna message me on that, cool and do. But I don't want this thread derailed by a Wizardry conversation.

Smashbox
19-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Attempting to revive My Favorite Thread™ with a game idea:

A game that combines the systems from a space-sim game (trading/exploration/faction relations/missions/cargo/space combat) with the systems from a city-sim game.

The conceit: You're the captain of a massive colony-sized ship returning from some incredibly long galactic voyage only to find your home planet destroyed/missing/hostile.

The game: You must carve out a niche for yourself in the galaxy without a planet to call your own. Ship systems and stats for movement, cargo, crew, power, manufacturing, food, training levels, defense, life-support, and entertainment are all governed by modules you can afford to attach to your colony ship. You must strike a balance in order to have a ship functioning efficiently and enhance your capabilities by adding more modules to your ship. You start out with basic beams, a bridge, a small power plant, weak engines, and basic dormitories, but by the late game you're a death-star with a population of millions that manufactures nuclear weapons and has massive farms, etc.

You can befriend planetary systems and help them by doing missions or you can take over their planets, or force them to pay tribute. You can be a pirate preying on the weak or an intergalactic do-gooder.

Lambchops
19-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I've got a name and a genre but no real ideas beyond that. I always thought that Rogue Apostrophe would be an excellent name for a roguelike. Perhaps it would work best as a light hearted parody of the genre's conventions while shoehorning in some literary references and jokes along the way. Who knows? However the pun title appeals to me.

Smashbox
19-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I've got a name and a genre but no real ideas beyond that. I always thought that Rogue Apostrophe would be an excellent name for a roguelike. Perhaps it would work best as a light hearted parody of the genre's conventions while shoehorning in some literary references and jokes along the way. Who knows? However the pun title appeals to me.

I read this recently (http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=53), and your post reminded me of it. The Alphabet Rogue-like

vecordae
19-01-2012, 08:17 PM
One of the game concepts I would put into action had I the time or resources would be a game that deals with all the stuff that your typical medieval fantasy RPG can't be bothered with. What I have in mind, specifically, is that you start off as a sort of field medic attached to a mercenary company. You're not a warrior at all. Instead, you search the battlefield for the dead and dying, patching up those you can and putting down those you can't. As the story unfolds, your responsibilities change, but the focus is always on dealing with the aftermath of of war. You don't engage in actual combat often and, when you do, it's a rough, brutal, and visceral sort of thing. You'll meet plenty of characters and build various kinds of relationships with them, but you honestly have no idea whether or not they'll survive the next battle.

Eventually you reach the point where you're in charge, you know the names and faces of all the men and women under your command. You know their histories. And you'll send them to fight and die. Given some additional time, I'd even throw in some town-management bits as you build up the civilian population that's grown up around your headquarters.

It'd be depressing at times, but I think it would provide a really interesting take on all of that nonsense. I'd also be sure to script it so that it doesn't batter the player over the head with heavy-handed moral philosophizing. These are mercenaries, after all, and volunteers at that. I'd rather let the player figure out how he/she feels about all of this rather than having the game tell them how they should feel.

Lambchops
20-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I read this recently (http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=53), and your post reminded me of it. The Alphabet Rogue-like

Ooh, freaky someone has come up with a workable concept for my concept free game title! Now if only I had the will and expertise to acctually make it . . .

Keep
26-04-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm posting this here cos if ever there was a good thread to necro...

Are there any adventure games where, instead of solving isolated puzzles that unlock new parts of the game that offer up more isolated puzzles, there's only one puzzle that needs solving, and all the clues/locations/red herrings are awaiting your keen deductive gaze from the get go? It's just that the puzzle is such a big puzzle (say, a murder investigation) that assembling a case file with all relevant evidence in it would take the same amount of time as playing through a more traditional episodically structured adventure game?

Cos if there is not oh man I would play the shit out of that game.

Especially with the red herrings bit.

Kelron
27-04-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm posting this here cos if ever there was a good thread to necro...

Are there any adventure games where, instead of solving isolated puzzles that unlock new parts of the game that offer up more isolated puzzles, there's only one puzzle that needs solving, and all the clues/locations/red herrings are awaiting your keen deductive gaze from the get go? It's just that the puzzle is such a big puzzle (say, a murder investigation) that assembling a case file with all relevant evidence in it would take the same amount of time as playing through a more traditional episodically structured adventure game?

Cos if there is not oh man I would play the shit out of that game.

Especially with the red herrings bit.

There is something at the back of my mind here, but I can't think of a name. I know Discworld Noir had an element of this, going back and forth between various locations collecting clues, but there was still a lot of traditional point and click stuff solving specific puzzles to access new areas.

mtrc
27-04-2012, 12:24 PM
The RPS forums should sort out a little gamedev week. No prizes or rankings, just a local dash to make some basic Game Maker nonsense or something. Get some of these ideas out of your system. Some of these games could be prototyped pretty simply, I reckon.

ado
27-04-2012, 12:33 PM
I would also like a game like that, something a bit more realistic maybe for my tastes. A 17th century ship simulator would be a cool game for me, like that film Master and Commander only in game form.

I want to play this game right now. GIVE!

DHP
27-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, one idea i had was a first person eater, MP team, spiders Vs wasps. I like the idea of disanthropamorphic (i think i made a word...) gameplay.

Also a co-op MP caveman hunting party thing devoid of all modern references (no HUD ect, just what one would see) with voicechat as the only communication. A party must track, outwit and bring down a buffalo/mammoth ect using stone age tools, to feed the tribe. Mammoths, of course, can stomp you dead.

The RPS forums should sort out a little gamedev week. No prizes or rankings, just a local dash to make some basic Game Maker nonsense or something. Get some of these ideas out of your system. Some of these games could be prototyped pretty simply, I reckon.

+1 vote for this^^^

Voon
27-04-2012, 02:27 PM
www.twitter.com/petermolydeux
*coughs*

Besides that, I had this idea long ago that may or may not work. The details are a bit fuzzy but here goes. It involves you controlling digital civilization in a computer system that's ever evolving over time, fighting foreign civilizations and virii that's threatening to destroy or conquer the system. The system is ruled by said civilization that has built a city there after they've conquered it in the earlier years. The setting change drastically after each time shift from wireframe graphics to the present graphics. The survival of the civilization you lead determines the ending of the campaign. I have an RTS genre in mind for this game but I think it's also suitable as a grand strategy game.

Edit: a thing I forgot to mention about these digital people you're controlling is that they're similar to Darwinians and will evolve into something much more different after each time shift, depending on your playstyle.

random_guy
27-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Don't know if this is offbeat enough for this thread, although it certainly isn't likely to get made any time soon...

I would love for there to be a sandbox game that's as easy or easier to make mods for than, for example, Bethesda games. Imagine a GTA or a Saints Row which also has the tools to insert new characters, clothing, missions, weapons, animations, game modes and all the other great things people have managed to get out of the Creation Kit/GECK.

If somebody released a sandbox city with just a (hopefully customizable) player-character, pedestrians and traffic, as well as the mod tools to make weapons, missions etc, I think it could soon morph into something great.

Keep
27-04-2012, 04:56 PM
The setting change drastically after each time shift from wireframe graphics to the present graphics.

That'd be brilliant. Forget numbers, I want my civilisations development conveyed graphically.

I would love for there to be a sandbox game that's as easy or easier to make mods for than, for example, Bethesda games. Imagine a GTA or a Saints Row which also has the tools to insert new characters, clothing, missions, weapons, animations, game modes and all the other great things people have managed to get out of the Creation Kit/GECK.

Open-source sandbox game? A curator'd be recommended but yeah, that could get very deep very quick, it'd be fascinating to see it tried.

Voon
27-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Don't know if this is offbeat enough for this thread, although it certainly isn't likely to get made any time soon...

If somebody released a sandbox city with just a (hopefully customizable) player-character, pedestrians and traffic, as well as the mod tools to make weapons, missions etc, I think it could soon morph into something great.

I can't help but thinking that this seems very much like APB without the MMO. But, if this game had much better gameplay mechanics and flexible enough to make brilliant player-made missions possible, I'm all for it

Also a co-op MP caveman hunting party thing devoid of all modern references (no HUD ect, just what one would see) with voicechat as the only communication. A party must track, outwit and bring down a buffalo/mammoth ect using stone age tools, to feed the tribe. Mammoths, of course, can stomp you dead.

I'm throwing my money at the monitor and nothin's happening. Is there something wrong?

Nalano
27-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I can't help but thinking that this seems very much like APB without the MMO. But, if this game had much better gameplay mechanics and flexible enough to make brilliant player-made missions possible, I'm all for it.

I'm still struck by how much hope people have that because brilliance is possible (and when is it not?), Sturgeon's Law is somehow repealed.

Smashbox
27-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Cavemen should have to deal with other, likely-to-be-hostile caveman tribes!

Nalano
27-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Cavemen should have to deal with other, likely-to-be-hostile caveman tribes!

I'm wondering if any of you have tried Mortal Online. Everything is player made, the UI is practically non-existent, full loot PvP, night is too dark to see, settlements are miles apart...

...it suuuuuuucks to play.

TillEulenspiegel
27-04-2012, 05:47 PM
...it suuuuuuucks to play.
Because Mortal Online is shit. The idea isn't.

Ultima Online was great (flawed, but great). None of its imitators are. Yet.

Voon
27-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm still struck by how much hope people have that because brilliance is possible (and when is it not?), Sturgeon's Law is somehow repealed.

Pfft. Oh, well. Sorry if I'm being optimistic about an idea. Sheesh

random_guy
27-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Open-source sandbox game? A curator'd be recommended but yeah, that could get very deep very quick, it'd be fascinating to see it tried.

I avoided using the term "open-source" for the issues you alluded to, but on second thought why not go the whole hog.

It works for Bethesda games - 10% of all the mods released for a given one of those is still a whole lot of mods.

Nalano
27-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Pfft. Oh, well. Sorry if I'm being optimistic about an idea. Sheesh

Read the sign! NO HOPE ALLOWED

It works for Bethesda games - 10% of all the mods released for a given one of those is still a whole lot of mods.

10% is being a bit generous, and even the "content" ones are... lacking. I mean, if we judge Bethesda games, then we must go through the Bethesda mod cycle: First, nude mods. Then skin whitening mods. Then make-every-look-oiled-and-nubile mods. Then lingerie mods. Then clothing mods. Then child-killing mods. Then weapon mods. Then anime mods. Then joke mods. Then fuck-with-anti-aliasing mods. Then atmospheric mods. Then bunker mods. Then content mods.

...nobody wants to do dialogue.

random_guy
27-04-2012, 06:15 PM
10% is being a bit generous, and even the "content" ones are... lacking. I mean, if we judge Bethesda games, then we must go through the Bethesda mod cycle: First, nude mods. Then skin whitening mods. Then make-every-look-oiled-and-nubile mods. Then lingerie mods. Then clothing mods. Then child-killing mods. Then weapon mods. Then anime mods. Then joke mods. Then fuck-with-anti-aliasing mods. Then atmospheric mods. Then bunker mods. Then content mods.

...nobody wants to do dialogue.

The 10% is going by Sturgeon's Law, and I've had some great gameplay experiences with content mods. Also, is it really any surprise that good content mods, which by their very nature would take more effort to develop, take longer to show up than simple nude reskins?

Nalano
27-04-2012, 06:19 PM
The 10% is going by Sturgeon's Law, and I've had some great gameplay experiences with content mods. Also, is it really any surprise that good content mods, which by their very nature would take more effort to develop, take longer to show up than simple nude reskins?

In that case, could you link me a good content mod? I, for one, would love to see someone make an NPC worth talking to in Skyrim.

random_guy
27-04-2012, 06:26 PM
In that case, could you link me a good content mod? I, for one, would love to see someone make an NPC worth talking to in Skyrim.

I haven't delved into the Skyrim content mods yet, but some I remember fondly from Fallout 3 include A Note Easily Missed (http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/4730) and its sequels.

NathanH
27-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Archaeologist guild in Oblivion was pretty good.

Kelron
27-04-2012, 07:45 PM

While you seem to think that the existence of bad mods invalidates the existence of good mods.

It sounds like a great idea to me, and TES style modding is far from the only way to implement it. I'd like to see more games where one player takes on a dungeon master role, creating situations and tasks on the fly for other players. Right now I can only think of Sleep is Death and Neverwinter Nights.

Berzee
27-04-2012, 08:15 PM
If nobody else makes this game, I'ma do it someday (maybe?).

Imagine, basically, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (the one where they went a little bit open-worldy and let you free-skate around the level looking for challenge-givers).

Except instead of a pro skater, you're a dog who has just escaped from his backyard and is running ecstatically around the neighborhood.

And instead of getting points for doing skateboard tricks, you get points for doing things that dogs do. (Chasing squirrels, muddying people's khakis, etc).

As in Tony Hawk 4, you would get missions from people, animals, or events that you encounter as you frolick about.

As in Tony Hawk 4, you would need to find good lines through the level that will maximize the number of (dog) tricks you can string together for excellent combos.

Multiple breeds of dog should be available to play.

Blackcompany
27-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Content mods are always lacking? C'mon Nalano...a little optimism here. Did you ever play Heart of the Dead for Oblivion? Fantastic content mod. Also, the Northern Front and Lost Spires were spectacular quest mods. Larger and more robust than any DLC I have ever seen.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are not far behind. The Navmesh bug keeps quest mods from happening in those games more often, frankly, and not the modders. Don't dismiss content mods so quickly, there are some fantastic ones out there.

Blackcompany
27-04-2012, 08:20 PM
If nobody else makes this game, I'ma do it someday (maybe?).

Imagine, basically, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (the one where they went a little bit open-worldy and let you free-skate around the level looking for challenge-givers).

Except instead of a pro skater, you're a dog who has just escaped from his backyard and is running ecstatically around the neighborhood.

And instead of getting points for doing skateboard tricks, you get points for doing things that dogs do. (Chasing squirrels, muddying people's khakis, etc).

As in Tony Hawk 4, you would get missions from people, animals, or events that you encounter as you frolick about.

As in Tony Hawk 4, you would need to find good lines through the level that will maximize the number of (dog) tricks you can string together for excellent combos.

Multiple breeds of dog should be available to play.

Can I:

-Play as an Irish Wolf Hound
-Sniff people's asses
-Terrorize the neighbor's cat now and then?

Include these three and count me in. Especially if people are chasing me, trying to convince me to come home and take a bath the whole while.

Smashbox
27-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Open-world Groundhog Day game. You know, like the movie.

Museli
27-04-2012, 08:58 PM
An idea I'd like to see would be a puzzle/strategy game where you play as the director of a horror movie. You select the setting (creepy haunted house, abandoned funfair, ghost town, wax museum etc), and it gets populated by a handful of horror stereotypes who you have to eliminate in amusing ways. There'd be a certain number of 'kill spots' in each level that you have to scare the characters into with the tools at your disposal, gaining points based on how much 'Terror' you'd filled them with before they meet their fate. Perhaps you'll use 'mysterious noises' to push a guy in a certain direction, then drop a well-timed 'rattling door' to cause him to jump sideways into the suit of armour, causing its blade to crash down on top of him. I feel it should have a fairly light, whimsical tone.

Perhaps each of the stereotypes would have different abilities - the Nerd isn't going to be dumb enough to wander off into the dark by herself (unless she's been sufficiently terrified), but she can easily be affected by jump-scares. The Blonde can generally be lead anywhere, but sophisticated psych-horrors sail straight over his beautiful stupid head. The Jock is tough enough to fight off a Mysterious Attacker, but you could use his short fuse to lure him into traps by threatening one of his friends nearby. Bonus objectives could be thrown in as well to mix things up - double points for squashing two survivors at once under The Falling Chandelier, or for killing Genre Savvy Guy last, or trapping The Metal Fan in an iron maiden.

Although I'm not a movie fan, I gather a lot of this idea overlaps with a horror movie that came out in the last year or so, which I'm not naming to avoid spoilers. I've been kicking around this idea for some time, so my main influence game-wise is probably the execrable Night Trap.

Smashbox
27-04-2012, 09:04 PM
It's less movie director than serial murderer, but its interesting. Kind of like Dungeon Keeper, but trope-and-spook-y.

It begs the question "Why?" though... perhaps distracting the monsters with hot college people to kill distracts them from killing you or breaking down the door to your control room.

(Yeah I just saw that movie, too)

Museli
27-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I guess there's a bit of Dungeon Keeper in there too, never a bad thing. As for the 'Why?', some games just don't need a why. I envisage this game as being one of them.

frosty2oo2
27-04-2012, 11:40 PM
how about using "the crimson permenant assurance company" (monty python's meaning of life) as a model, you play an office block that uproots to pillage the inner city high rise seas, your vessel could be EA's customer support call centre, crew'd with DOTA2 players, to wage war against investment bankers.

"thank you for calling EA customer support now STFU noob"

Voon
28-04-2012, 04:37 AM
A game of you, with a group of people, going around the world finding scrapyards and building a combat vehicle (tanks, road warrior cars, motorcycles, etc.) entirely out of scraps. You battle others to compete for the best combat vehicle in the game. Every design would be different depending on the scraps you found in the scrapyard. Destroyed vehicles can be either used to upgrade your vehicle, smelted as a new plate to stengthen defences, or play dirty and use them to hit other drivers with. Scraps can be traded. The world is procedurally generated and in full 3D rather than 2D. There will be singleplayer and multiplayer. Multiplayer can be enabled in the start of the game if prompted. Multiplayer is pretty much like singleplayer mode with better/worse A.I.

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
28-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Oh, what an excellent thread! First time I've seen it and I've gone through the whole thing.

+1s for;

1. Take an exciting, rich, well-developed medievalesque fantasy world and toss out all the typical roles: adventurers, kings, generals. What if you're a priest or a monk who's secretly studying necromancy.
TillEulenspiegel's idea of a fantasy world that isn't about to explode unless you, the Epic Muscular Hero, turn up and blah. Fantasy is so, so, riddled in tropes and bullshit - but all it'd take is the tiniest little bit of lateral thinking (and willingness to stray from Tolkein) and you'd get something really, really interesting like this.

Play the wife of a great warrior who is in distant lands.
That's kinda similar - we've got 'run the ancient kingdom games' but they go to a very similar formula and another little bit of lateral thinking like that could shake the whole thing up.

A war survival game. You're playing a neutral party in a place that happens to be a battleground for two or more huge empires stuck in a perpetual war of attrition. There will be almost constant combat around. Not set in the present. Either an apocalyptic future or medieval low fantasy.
I do like the idea of being kinda tangential to a huge conflict. Were I to imagine that I'd place you as bandits, raiders, someone else exploiting the situation (just 'cos I like combat in games).

How about a platform game where you play the role of the forces attempting to stop the protagonist character from reading the right hand check-point of the level?
That sounds like it'd make a superb little Flash game or something, and I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to do so.

Also a co-op MP caveman hunting party thing devoid of all modern references (no HUD ect, just what one would see) with voicechat as the only communication. A party must track, outwit and bring down a buffalo/mammoth ect using stone age tools, to feed the tribe.
Love it love it love it. And again, I bet that wouldn't take a hell of a lot of doing if you were modding the right game.

Open-world Groundhog Day game. You know, like the movie.
I can just see that being too much work even for a huge studio, but it's a superb idea.

A Puzzle game based around Bullet Time. Generating astounding John Woo / Matrix esque choreography. It would be played in an overhead view. Each puzzle would involve giving a character a set of directions. Jump here, cartwheel there, as leaping full force over a pew fire directly at enemy's heads then fall into a forward roll, all the while doves fly everywhere.
I AM THROWING MY MONEY AND THE SCREEN YET NOTHING IS HAPPENING. Fuck me I now realise how much I want to precisely and meticulously set up a John Woo action scene.

Conspirators: A 4 person coop game in which players are supposed to kill a king, but they also want to eliminate the other conspirators. The task should be impossible to do on your own, they players have to work together to complete it. The point is, you never know when to expect a knife in the back.
YES. Fucking brilliant idea - although what if it was kill the King plus conflicting private secondary objectives (including stuff like killing other conspirators but I'm sure you could have loads and loads and loads of other things too).

A game of you, with a group of people, going around the world finding scrapyards and building a combat vehicle (tanks, road warrior cars, motorcycles, etc.) entirely out of scraps. You battle others to compete for the best combat vehicle in the game. Every design would be different depending on the scraps you found in the scrapyard.
I'm not sure how you're imagining that really coming to life, but that's actually pretty similar to something that popped into my head about a week back - essentially, Mad Max the game. I've not thought too hard about it, but start on your own, scavenge resources, build vehicles, gain followers, gain a fleet and form your own faction, then start competing with others. It'd have to be scaleable from you in your hut right out to plotting your fleet's route across Australia...

OK, a couple of mine.

1. OK, this one's hugely abitious, and as such I haven't put too much thought into it. Giant, sentient, symbiotic anthropo-cities. Visually, imagine the really big dudes from Shadow of the Colossus but comprised of houses, streets, walkways, gardens... A great big walking city. Building and managing the city wouldn't be a million miles off any number of other games, but being able to move your city around the landscape as you come into contact with others, deploy forces, form alliances and the like... Yeah, not very well thought out, but I reckon there's something to it.

2. I have actually got this one planned out in some detail (I'm going to attempt to start baby steps towards trying to create some manner of prototype for it) which I won't bother posting all of, but essentially - you're a team of mercenaries working for state A, trying to disrupt the colonial ambitions of state B whilst a conflict between A and B is happening elsewhere (I was thinking something like the East African campaign in WWI, except prosecuted by mercenaries. So this colonial area is a supply route, or has natural resources that state A needs, but not an area of actual fighting between A and B - and you've got to cause disruption so that firstly the supply chain works less effectively, and also that troops have to be taken from the actual conflict to deal with you. What it would involve is spending a lot of time modelling, in detail, the supply and logistics chains of an early C20th army, and then plopping you in to fuck it all up. I'm picturing it top-down 2D - Cannon Fodder meets Commandos meets ArmA - but the significant thing is that this logistics setup has to react to you. So you do a good job at hitting convoys, they have to break them up, make them smaller, and more guarded - this makes them harder to hit but also less effective at transporting supplies. If you assassinate targets in urban areas then the urban area's security is raised making it harder to get into, but it harms state A's relations with the people living there, making state A's operations less effective.

I've got a reasonable amount of stuff written down for that one at home on the other PC, but... Yeah, I reckon that could be good fun.

Voon
29-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Must.. generate... More ideas!

I got this one particular idea after looking at some pics of cities built on giant ass turtles (yes, Diskworld and the like), so imagine you running a settlement on said turtle or another, similar to that. You also must protect the city against other gigantic creatures by controlling the creature a la Black and White. It is possible to switch from city building mode to creature mode in a whim like SimCity 4.

DaftPunk
29-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I would like to see more stealth games,with more unique approach to the gameplay,also i said stealth,that means only stealth and stealth only. Any ideas ?

Berzee
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
A game that can be summarized as "Choices & avoiding their Consequences"

Keep
02-05-2012, 04:31 PM

What! Totally outlandish. Nonsense. Bizarre-o.

One from me: An RPG that saw fights typically resolved by surrender, not death (and the implications that would have for how the fighting mechanics work).

Voon
02-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I remember when some kids in my old school played a game using a notebook with grids in it and started putting in dots, with each player having different coloured pens to put in those dots. If one of them surrounded another's dot or a set of them with his, he drew lines connecting them, trapping them in. Well, some sort of a cross between tic-tac-toe and some other dot game.

I would like to see more stealth games,with more unique approach to the gameplay,also i said stealth,that means only stealth and stealth only. Any ideas ?

That's kinda like Thief, if you ask me. The best and possibly the only solution to get around areas without being brutally murdered is by stealth

b0rsuk
02-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Hooker simulator. You play the hooker. First person shooter, with no multiplayer.

Nalano
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM

That'd be funny. Imagine a game like Postal where, if you actually do go postal and kill a convenience store cashier or something, the rest of the game is spent hiding from cops, getting arraigned, sitting in trial while witnesses identify you, and going to jail.

Berzee
02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
That'd be funny. Imagine a game like Postal where, if you actually do go postal and kill a convenience store cashier or something, the rest of the game is spent hiding from cops, getting arraigned, sitting in trial while witnesses identify you, and going to jail.

Whereupon you must use your single lockpick to get out or suffer a penalty to several skills? O_O

(Big Robot can make it for Channel 4 to teach children about the justice system.)

Nalano
02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Whereupon you must use your single lockpick to get out or suffer a penalty to several skills? O_O

Hahaha. Get out?

Dude. You're in for a long time. It's now a simulator of prison routine. Press X to not get shanked!

Berzee
02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
It's now a simulator of prison routine.

Why, that gives me an *OFFBEAT* game idea!

Minecraft, but you're in a chain gang.

Kelron
02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
A roguelike drawing from Dwarf Fortress and Demon's/Dark Souls as much as traditional roguelikes.

The initial state of the game world is fixed, but every time you die the game world is run through a year of simulation. People go about their business, monsters attack, unoccupied structures decay. Your next character is a new adventurer drawn to the region. Lots will be familiar, but never quite the same. A previously prosperous village might have been sacked by the bandits you failed to kill, the chieftan who killed your last character now wields the enchanted sword you bought from the village blacksmith. A game about building up the story of the place, with every new character adding to it.

DF Adventure mode kind of does this, but it's not the main focus of the game and isn't very satisfying to play in its current state. Something more focused, with the starting state of the world hand crafted to be a challenging adventure game (hence the Dark Souls influence), before being exposed to procedural simulation over time.

Smashbox
02-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Yep yep yep! THAT!

But wouldn't it be even cooler if the simulation played out the whole time you played (more and more abstractly further and further away from your player).

Nalano
02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
You could so troll the game by finding ever weirder and whackier names for your adventurers, just so they become part of the game's storyline.

Smashbox
02-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Long long ago, a hero was born. Some call him the Hero of Wind, others believe his name was...

Penisface McGee.

Keep
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
A roguelike drawing from Dwarf Fortress and Demon's/Dark Souls as much as traditional roguelikes

YES.

I've sometimes thought, what if you started off with the traditional "Protect this innocent town from the big bad" fantasy story-opener, but instead of playing as The Chosen One who you stuck with and resurrected/reloaded a savegame for if they died, once your original hero fell you had to select another townsperson and play on as them (and another once the replacement fell, and another once his replacement fell, and another once...and so on until you were sending off weak li'l old ladies/until the villian finally got his ass kicked).

Nalano
02-05-2012, 09:11 PM
YES.

Whaddaya mean YES?

I mean, think about it: A roguelike with an anachronistically obtuse user interface, zero documentation and fantastic difficulty curve. It's the perfect game for masochists! Hell, maybe the quote for the box should be "the only way to win is not to play."

Atarra
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Whaddaya mean YES?

I mean, think about it: A roguelike with an anachronistically obtuse user interface, zero documentation and fantastic difficulty curve. It's the perfect game for masochists! Hell, maybe the quote for the box should be "the only way to win is not to play."

I'm not entirely seeing the difference between that description and an ordinary roguelike...

Keep
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Whaddaya mean YES?

Heh. I see what you did there.

Smashbox
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
"Who the hell put this in a box?"

-Dwarf Fortress box