PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for an MMO noob?

kstress71
18-09-2012, 06:27 PM
So I'm considering trying an MMO for the first time. I've shied away from these games because, frankly, I never trusted myself to not become hyper-addicted. I've finally decided to tempt fate and check it out.

Some parameters:

I like fantasy settings, but slightly prefer sci-fi or post-apocalyptic (Secret World looks really interesting).
NOT interested in WOW
Free-to-play is not necessarily a requirement. I'll spend money on it if I like it, but I just hate to buy the game + subscription just to try something out.
Favorite types of gameplay are action-rpg. I really enjoy mechanics like in Devil May Cry. Also, loot grinds like Torchlight, Diablo, etc.
Would prefer a game with more adult settings and environments, in terms of violence and content.
I hate ridiculous over-sexualization in games (i.e., Tera).
Hate PVP, like co-op.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

gundato
18-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Guild Wars 2 is probably a perfect fit

Fantasy, but the Asura are a mixture of magic and tech.
No subscription
It isn't a full action RPG, but it is more actiony than the standard WoW format (position matters a lot). For some builds, you can probably play with a gamepad
It is far from "mature"
From what I have seen, most female armor isn't overly sexualized. But I've mostly been hanging out in the land of the crazy rabbity midgets and the walking plants, so who knows how bad the Norn are.
There is a VERY heavy emphasis on PvE co-op.

Nalano
18-09-2012, 06:53 PM

What he said.

pakoito
18-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Don't. Play Dota/LoL instead.

Sparkasaurusmex
18-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Check out LOTRO. It is f2p but it's not bad with how it works. The story and quests are as good as any of that (this?) generation of MMORPG. If you don't like it, no loss.
https://signup.lotro.com/lotro.php?ftui=LOTROV&cl=25&abrs=55_1347992075

mrki
18-09-2012, 07:25 PM
EVE Online? :)

Sort of joking, but its reputation is worse than the game actually is towards new players. And getting in a good corp (of which there are some) is a really nice experience.

But as you do not want PvP, from all I've read (haven't actually played it) then Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World (might want to wait for it to go F2P) seem like good choices.

Wolfenswan
18-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Both Guild Wars 2 and EvE have active RPS groups. Former has it's own subforum, for the latter you have to do a bit of digging to find the thread.

kstress71
18-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Don't. Play Dota/LoL instead.

I suck at strategy and I don't want a PvP format. Kinda disqualifies a MOBA for consideration, doesn't it?

gundato
18-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Another option if your dislike of WoW is about Blizzard and not the gameplay: The Old Republic (which should be F2P shortly). It mostly flopped because it was a carbon copy of WoW that heavily favored solo and small party gameplay.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy to the extent of "its Star Wars"
Basically WoW, but different tileset and better writing
F2P
Not an ARPG
Bioware levels of "maturity"
Again, not obscene levels of sexualization
PvP is complete crap, PvE has a decent system set up for finding parties these days.

RakeShark
18-09-2012, 09:21 PM
If this is going to be your first MMO, I highly suggest you install City of Heroes as soon as possible and see how a fully functional and beloved MMO operates before it shuts down. Then spend the rest of your life wondering why the hell other MMOs don't have features found in CoH that it'd consider "standard".

ado
18-09-2012, 09:24 PM
As someone who has played different MMOs for years my advice is don't play MMOs.

They're the least rewarding and the most time wasting games I've ever played. And I am an idiot that it took me years of time and god knows how much money to realize something that simple.

Nalano
18-09-2012, 09:27 PM
As someone who has played different MMOs for years my advice is don't play MMOs.

They're the least rewarding and the most time wasting games I've ever played. And I am an idiot that it took me years of time and god knows how much money to realize something that simple.

Games are time wasters. That's kinda the point of them. In that sense, MMOs are the best games ever.

Internet
18-09-2012, 09:39 PM
D&D online might be a good choice. It's a really neat game where most classes have a distinct role and the dungeons have a really great feel.

ado
18-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Games are time wasters. That's kinda the point of them. In that sense, MMOs are the best games ever.

Depends what you quantify under wasting time. For me a lot of games actually are not a waste of time. Like Minecraft many would say is a waste of time but not for me. I build shit in that game, and anything that lets me be creative is not a waste of time for me. Or Portal, I get to experience a emotionally engaging story and have fun solving puzzles. That's not a waste of time for me.

On the other hand 99% of time spent in an MMO is an absolute waste of time, chasing a carrot on a stick. The 1% that isn't a waste goes to the social aspects, which are almost non-existent in most MMOs (EVE is the great exception).

Sparkasaurusmex
18-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah D&D is good, also. It's basically the same thing as LOTRO as far as the f2p pricing.

Raaritsgozilla
18-09-2012, 10:09 PM
I am considering getting back into an MMO during my summer holidays, and dont want to play WoW again (cause it costs money). Maybe I will play GW2

Nalano
18-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Depends what you quantify under wasting time. For me a lot of games actually are not a waste of time. Like Minecraft many would say is a waste of time but not for me. I build shit in that game, and anything that lets me be creative is not a waste of time for me. Or Portal, I get to experience a emotionally engaging story and have fun solving puzzles. That's not a waste of time for me.

I like certain TV shows. I think watching Jon Stewart is gratifying. But I am most certainly not productive during that time.

ado
18-09-2012, 10:47 PM
I like certain TV shows. I think watching Jon Stewart is gratifying. But I am most certainly not productive during that time.

I get that, but you wouldn't say that reading a good book is a waste of time? Or watching a good movie is a waste of time? For me it's not. Shit some movies and books have contributed greatly to my life, much more than a lot of people I know. And same goes for good games. And none of those games are MMOs.

In fact I'd say that the MMOs have taken from me way more than any book, or movie or other type of game ever could.

b0rsuk
18-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Realm of the Mad God is a co-op fantasy mmo shooter. It's free to play. It's a mix of MMO and a shooter game - action is very fast and twitchy. There's even autofire !

http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

What I especially like about the game is that most monsters behave uniquely and you can recognize them on minimap by the way the dot moves.

It's always thrilling, because there's permadeath. You can't prevent it, but you can mitigate it by stashing good items for your future class.

Winged Nazgul
18-09-2012, 11:57 PM
So I'm considering trying an MMO for the first time. I've shied away from these games because, frankly, I never trusted myself to not become hyper-addicted. I've finally decided to tempt fate and check it out.

Some parameters:

I like fantasy settings, but slightly prefer sci-fi or post-apocalyptic (Secret World looks really interesting).
NOT interested in WOW
Free-to-play is not necessarily a requirement. I'll spend money on it if I like it, but I just hate to buy the game + subscription just to try something out.
Favorite types of gameplay are action-rpg. I really enjoy mechanics like in Devil May Cry. Also, loot grinds like Torchlight, Diablo, etc.
Would prefer a game with more adult settings and environments, in terms of violence and content.
Hate PVP, like co-op.

If you like adventure games, The Secret World fits the bill.

They really should've marketed the game towards adventure game enthusiasts IMO.

Also check out Fallen Earth and APB Reloaded.

Bobtree
19-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Realm of the Mad God

ROTMG is great. It's kind of an MMO-ized Gauntlet.

kstress71
19-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Realm of the Mad God

Yes, I am very interested in checking this one out!

Skull
19-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Yes, I am very interested in checking this one out!

I would second (third) RotMG, a good game to jump into on work lunch breaks or stuck on shitty PC!

Hypernetic
19-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Why NOT WoW?

RakeShark
19-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Why not Zoidberg?

Hypernetic
19-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Why not Zoidberg?

I lol'd

10char

jrodman
19-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I think it would be more useful guidance to say what you don't like about the look of WoW. Obviously you'll get the odd apologist, but it might be more telling than the rest.

Personally, I've dabbled in many, and the only ones that seem to have stuck for me were WoW at one point, and more recently guild wars 2.

frightlever
19-09-2012, 12:04 PM
From what I have seen, most female armor isn't overly sexualized. But I've mostly been hanging out in the land of the crazy rabbity midgets and the walking plants, so who knows how bad the Norn are.

I was doing a human story quest in Destiny's Reach and what the Queen reckons is fit attire for a formal meeting leaves a lot to be desired/is awesome - depending on your viewpoint. DD-Décolletage, if you will.

But yeah, GW2 is pretty much on the money if you want more active combat because it's not a 1-2-3 MMO. I also really like LOTRO, which is very much about cycling buttons, but I haven't looked at it, or any other games, since I started playing GW2.

SW:KOTOR bored me to tears. Can't think of another SF MMO really. Star Trek I guess - bleurgh. Is AO f2p? Had fun with Anarchy Online but it's a spreadsheet game and looks very dated.

Oh, there's the Battlestar MMO - not strictly a MMORPG, or maybe it is.

http://en.battlestar-galactica.bigpoint.com/

Played it briefly. Not horrible, but not good enough to make me want to go back.

deano2099
19-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Star Trek Online is fun - it's not brilliant but as an introductory MMO it's enjoyable and ticks most of your boxes (it's Sci-Fi, loot grindy, action-based) and is properly F2P (ie. you don't really feel compelled to spend money on it unless you want a fancy ship).

Depends how much you like Star Trek though. If you're a fan of the show it'll do a lot more for you than if not.

popej
19-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Would have said Eve but liking PvP is a requirement to get the most out of it. It's also past it's glory days imo. I played from 2004 until approx 2010 and it's gone downhill.

Also I hate internet dwelling people in general (oh no he didn' !!) so MMO's are generaly a no no for me these days.

In summary, I have little of use to add to this conversation. :P

kstress71
19-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Why NOT WoW?

Not really sure, to be honest, but it just doesn't fire me up in any way. Yes, it has legions of adoring fans so it obviously has a lot to offer, but I have a couple of friends that played it for years and have quit in the last 6 months, with the explanation "there are better grinds out there". I share enough gameplay tastes with those folks that I tend to trust such statements.

kstress71
19-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Would have said Eve but liking PvP is a requirement to get the most out of it. It's also past it's glory days imo. I played from 2004 until approx 2010 and it's gone downhill.

Also I hate internet dwelling people in general (oh no he didn' !!) so MMO's are generaly a no no for me these days.

In summary, I have little of use to add to this conversation. :P

I have one very persistent friend that has been trying to bring me into his Eve corp for a long time. I just don't know if I want my gaming to be that corporate and "spreadsheety".

deano2099
19-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Not really sure, to be honest, but it just doesn't fire me up in any way. Yes, it has legions of adoring fans so it obviously has a lot to offer, but I have a couple of friends that played it for years and have quit in the last 6 months, with the explanation "there are better grinds out there". I share enough gameplay tastes with those folks that I tend to trust such statements.

In that case you're maybe trusting the wrong thing? Yes, they got bored of it after playing for years.

Nalano
19-09-2012, 05:58 PM
In that case you're maybe trusting the wrong thing? Yes, they got bored of it after playing for years.

This. I hate WoW, but that's after playing it for four years straight.

Arona Daal
19-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I find MMorpgs (usually) to be boring ,but i could squeeze some Hours of Enjoyment out of Dc Universe Online.
Its more Action orientated , f2P (in a good Fashion),and has pretty creative Opponents/Settings.

jrodman
19-09-2012, 06:54 PM
I'd say nearly all MMOs feature grind and burnout; but you should probably play them for the frontloaded enjoyment, and then stop when it seems like you've had enough for the time being.

FWIW, realm of the mad god didn't feel so much like an MMO to me, as like an activity I could play for a couple days and then didn't have interest in any more. Which is fine!

Nalano
19-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd say nearly all MMOs feature grind and burnout; but you should probably play them for the frontloaded enjoyment, and then stop when it seems like you've had enough for the time being.

I like the idea of subless MMOs because they de-emphasize the whole "keep 'em running on the treadmill" design aspect of most theme-park MMOs, but I really like GW2 because, stats-wise, no grinding in shit you don't want to do is required in getting top-end gear.

You can craft top-end exotic gear, you can PvP for top-end exotic gear, you can run dungeons for top-end exotic gear, you can do events for top-end exotic gear, or you can simply buy top-end exotic gear on the trading post for money you can make in a few days. Everything aside from stats is pure aesthetics, so the hardest of hardcore grinders only get better-looking gear, not better gear. Hence, no need to grind at all!

Xerophyte
19-09-2012, 07:32 PM

It's worth pointing out that the first month doesn't come with a subscription fee for the ones that otherwise carry one.

Beyond that I'd say a pretty major question is what people you know are playing and how much interest you have in the co-op part of it all. Some MMOs are a lot more playable without a guild or fixed group of friends than others.

Guild Wars 2 has really good solo gameplay, with more movement and dodging than the typical MMO. It does emergent mass events well, but if you're not going to PvP then I found the social aspect kind of lacking. Teaming up with one friend to run around the world is fun but there's not much motivation to get a larger gang going and the PvE content specifically made for small groups (dungeons) is the least well-crafted aspect of the game.

If you're going to go in to find a group to play with or if you've got friends to bring along then you may want to look into something more typically diku that spends more time on coop. Warcraft is pretty damned good here, but if that's off the table then you might want to look into the assorted knock-offs. SW:TOR has good production values, some neat Star Wars-by-Bioware plotlines and solid if uninspired gameplay, LotRO manages a really nice Tolkien mood and handles its setting well but plays a bit clunky, Rift is probably the mechanically best pure WoW clone I've tried but has an embarrassingly bland Fantasy 101 setting. They're all focused on a very traditional experience and are either microtransaction-based or have a trial-mode that limits you to the lower levels of the game.

If you just want to give MMOs a whirl to see if you might like them then I'd probably recommend checking out the Old Republic trial (https://account.swtor.com/trial). It'll take an evening or two to get through, the start of the game is pretty well-made (agent and bounty hunter starts were a bit bland as I recall), the game is reasonably new and it features a lot of the common tropes of the genre. Depending on what you liked/didn't like about that you'll have a better idea of what specific game might work.

Batolemaeus
19-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I have one very persistent friend that has been trying to bring me into his Eve corp for a long time. I just don't know if I want my gaming to be that corporate and "spreadsheety".

Eve gameplay is actually incredibly social unless you isolate yourself purposefully. There are people who like that aspect a lot.

Of all the games I played, Eve was by far the most defined by social interaction with other players.

b0rsuk
19-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Realm of the Mad God can be very enjoyable or poor depending on who you play with. Many play it solo, but it will get boring fast that way considering each class has exactly 1 special ability. Bring in a friend or two or make some in the game.

Once you level to 20, everyone is after defence potions and they're de facto currency of RotmG. They make the game a lot easier, some areas or bosses are almost impossible without at least 10 of them. One of price guides:
https://forums.wildshadow.com/node/100708

Melee classes are a lot harder to play. There's nothing wrong with you.

Memph
20-09-2012, 12:34 AM
So I'm considering trying an MMO for the first time.

NOT interested in WOW

That's kinda like saying you want to go swimming but refuse to get wet. Is it an ill-percieved stigma of dirty little WoW kiddies putting you off? It's quite odd. Because if you're new to MMOs, like solid co-op mechanics, dislike silly sexualisation and find fun in loot treadmills such as Torchlight and Diablo, WoW is without a shadow of doubt, the game you want to try.
It's free up to level 20 remember, so giving it even a light bash won't cost a penny/cent/potato.

I don't believe you'd like GW2. There's practically no loot and almost the entire end-game is built for PvP. For someone who hates PvP and boob armour, GW2 is a pretty awful recommendation.

TotalKitty
20-09-2012, 01:11 AM

Some parameters:

NOT interested in WOW
Hate PVP, like co-op.

The Secret World is not a bad choice. However, let me warn you before you jump the gun on it; The combt system aren't the best ever made. In fact, it's quite horrible. Besides that, I found the story quite awesome.

Star Wars: The Old Republic aren't a bad choice either. It does appeal a little to the mature audience seeing as some of the situations you go though can be quite bizarre and brutal.

Many have said Guild Wars 2, but wait just a tad with that. As new as it is, it still needs a lot of fixes, and there aren't much to go after at end level for the unexperienced player.

deano2099
20-09-2012, 01:20 AM

Sounds so obvious yet so many people don't get it.

That's kinda like saying you want to go swimming but refuse to get wet. Is it an ill-percieved stigma of dirty little WoW kiddies putting you off? It's quite odd.
I totally get it. The same as if someone was asking for an FPS to try, a variation on CoD would be a solid suggestion because they're solid games, but they get slagged off so much as they're nothing more. There's a huge stigma attached.

jackieo
20-09-2012, 02:09 AM
I've played MMOs for an embarrassingly long time (like, the last 12 or so years) and the only thing I think really keeps me in one is whether or not I have friends on the same server. Not people I know in real life necessarily, but just people I like to talk to/quest with/generally hang out around. Seriously, it makes a world of difference, especially since PUGs are almost universally terrible. I suspect other people feel the same way I do, and that's partly what lead to things like WoW's Recruit-A-Friend, which makes it easier for new players to get to a level where they can play with their veteran friends.

Basically, the best choice might be whatever your friends are playing.

kstress71
20-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Again, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and lively discussion. I've enjoyed reading it.

Here's what I think I'm going to do and why:
(1) Get off my high horse and just give WOW a fair chance. I mean, how can I say I've actually tried out the MMORPG genre if I didn't at least try out its biggest representative? Who knows, maybe I'll see what all the hubbub has been about for 8 years.
(2) Check out The Old Republic because I like sci-fi, Bioware, and Bioware's Star Wars stories (at least the prior single player RPGs, that is).
(3) Try out LOTRO or Guild Wars 2 if I don't continue with WOW. I just love Tolkien's world.
(4) Keep an eye on The Secret World and how it progresses and changes.
(5) Sprinkle in some Realm of the Mad God - looks fun for some light-hearted, social retro action.

That's my plan of action at this point. Again, I really appreciate all of the input. I may update this thread with my "Noob Adventures" as they transpire :)

jackieo
20-09-2012, 03:54 AM
If you can't choose one, choose 'em all ;)

Nalano
20-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Sounds so obvious yet so many people don't get it.

I play MMOs for the drama and the lulz. In that sense, the really interesting bits don't start until people have some time invested. It's also the reason that, even if WoW suddenly turned into a good game (ha!), I could never play it: The community's gone.

ambing1
30-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Minecraft's a good game to spend time while having fun. I had some doubts about its replayability but after initially playing it for a few minutes, I got hooked real good.