PDA

View Full Version : Waiting patiently for Planetside 2 & Firefall beta keys

Colonel J
19-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Just wondering what luck if any people have had with Planetside 2 and Firefall beta registration? I've been waiting patiently for a few weeks now after signing up on their sites, but nada so far. The more good stuff I hear about PS2 the more I'm tempted to just jump on the Alpha squad deal, but throwing down 30 blind on a game I've never played is still a bit too rich for my blood.

If anyone happens to have a spare beta key or hears of any give-aways on sites, then much gratitude if you can share them here. I just missed the PS2 key give-away at Alienware Arena a few weeks ago, hope they'll be more like that sometime soon...

Chauvigny
19-09-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry I don't have a spare PS 2 beta key but I heard rumors that if you pester the devs via Twitter, they might give you one.

Ta'Lon
19-09-2012, 05:41 PM
@Colonel J: You have mail, sir ;) I had one left over form the cursed-giveaway which should have gone to one of my friends but he won't be able to use it, so it's yours now.

In general most keys get handed out over Twitter and Higby usually retweets everyone that holds a giveaway.
Other than that Planetside-Universe has a Key Exchange: http://www.planetside-universe.com/keyexchange.php where you might get lucky.

Colonel J
19-09-2012, 05:53 PM
@Colonel J: You have mail, sir ;) I had one left over form the cursed-giveaway which should have gone to one of my friends but he won't be able to use it, so it's yours now.

Magnificent! Thank you most kindly Ta'Lon, I kiss you on both cheeks.

Sparkasaurusmex
19-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Have not gotten into either of those betas, but I've been fortunate enough to snag a key for Ravaged, which is not much like Planetside 2. It's kind of like Battlefield in the post apocalyptic future. Have yet to see any populated servers...

try to grab a key here:
http://www.2dawn.com/forum/13-beta-discussion/6853-got-keys?start=15#9608

of course I see you've gotten into PS2... I will be there someday. Eventually it will be freed!

Taliessyn
20-09-2012, 05:43 PM
To Twitter! I just got one about 10 minutes ago. Didnt think it would work but just fired off a tweet to #ps2 and within about a minute they sent me a key. Do it! Quick!

Hanban
20-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Sent them a tweet! Here's hoping I'll get a key!

Sparkasaurusmex
20-09-2012, 07:57 PM
just fired off a tweet to #ps2
that's awesome you got in, but I'm not even sure what this means :p

Hanban
20-09-2012, 08:25 PM
My tweet sadly fell upon deaf ears. I put my hopes now on a bad haiku. If that doesn't work, well... then I shall be sad for a bit!

Edit: Bad poetry is the way to go folks!

Sparkasaurusmex
20-09-2012, 09:05 PM
So you "fire off a tweet" and then what? Do they fire back a private tweet or is there such a thing? I was fairly demanding in my initial tweet, perhaps I should try a limerick.

edit: ah... a "DM." None for me yet, though!

squareking
20-09-2012, 09:34 PM
To tease: PS2 is really, really good. My few sessions had awful lag, but it was enjoyable anyway. I had to uninstall it to stay committed to the backlog. :(

Finicky
21-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Don't bother with tweeting, they get spammed by hundreds of people and pick maybe one every hour while encouraging people to keep trying.
The marketing gimps who are in charge of the PS2 facebook / twitter thing aren't related to the dev team they only have one job that is to get their quota for twitterfeed/facebook hits, think of them as a pay line worker trying to keep you on hold for as long as possible.

I'm in both betas (got the ps2 key through IGN when they put them up a week or two ago, and got into firefall through someone on RPS).

PS2 is really good, it's everything a first hour fan of battlefield 1942 could have dreamed that series to evolve into as pc technology evolved.
The conquest style gameplay is great, the scale and atmosphere are amazing (no other game other than the original comes remotely close, and the graphics are unbelievably good too especially considering the scale).
People make a lot of use of voice chat, which is nice too (not cod trashtalking high pitched voices like on xbox, but friendly chatter and coordination)
One of the only betas that didn't turn out to be a dissapointment for me.

Firefall on the other hand is trash:p
The gameplay is super shallow, the shooting is poor and the pvp is basically wow battlegrounds x some cheap f2p shooter.
PVE is just grinding for the sake of grinding, it's a special kind of mind numbing and bad.

Keep an eye open for big beta key handouts for PS2, alienware does them regularly and IGN might have another one soon.
The game is awesome, I hope they don't cock it up by making it a huge exp grind (it seems grindy to unlock vehicle modules etc) , wish they'd made this game just a normal retail 50 euro price instead of f2p.
We should be fighting over resources and having fun, not grinding away at an inconvenience barrier that tries to make you pay out the ass.
I hope one can unlock everything needed for the gameplay by paying retail price or less ingame... We'll see I suppose.

Spengbab
21-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I got a FF key from a kind RPS forumgoer, but sadly, the game is not worth the hype (yet). Jetpacking around is fun the first hour or so, but it's no Tribes. The guns I tried don't have right feel, it's all spraying at insects. Equipment is mostly crafted and takes tons of material. Most of the time, people seem to be looking for "thumping" groups (Call down a big piece of equipment that takes a few minutes to fill up, digging for materials causes vibrations which causes the bugs to attack the device, requiring you to defend it till it fucks off into the sky again) to craft better gear with. Place thumper, shoot bugs, craft. Repeat ad infinitum. The "missions" that are available so far are all typical fetch x number of items/kill x number of bugs/NPC frames.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to this game and got fuck all enjoyment out of it. /bile

Taliessyn
21-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah it was probably just dumb luck on my side. I dont even use twitter - I have like 2 random followers and had to trawl through my email for my password. But still, made my first tweet in a few years and got a key literally 2 minutes later. I think theres no harm in tweeting for a key, just do it at various times of the day to maximize your chances I imagine. It takes a minute to do which in my book is minimal effort and might work

I agree that its a big marketing tactic on their side and I have no problem with that, I got what I wanted out of it. The trick may be to say something clever like the haiku man. Marketing types love to see a bit of flair.

Sparkasaurusmex
21-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Just checked my email and was surprised to see a new one with the subject "You have been selected to play..."
Awesome!!!!
oh wait... it says you have been selected to play Dota 2.
nuts. Don't want to play that.

Hensler
21-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I've got a Firefall, Mechwarrior Online, and Heroes & Generals keys that I haven't cashed in yet. When I do feel like playing a shooter of some sort, it's all about Planetside 2 for me. I'll have to check out that key exchange site - I'd love to find a new strategy game (Mechwarrior Tactics!) to tide me over until XCom.