PDA

View Full Version : A good frontend for emulators?

mashakos
20-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Any frontends you would recommend for disc based systems? That would include PSX ,PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Dreamcast
So far, I've found that:
Every PS2 title requires it's own configuration to run on PCSX2
Ditto for Dolphin
nullDC does not need micro-managing as much (it's a really well made EMU), but selecting the iso is cumbersome
For Dolphin and PCSX2, I've settled on creating separate folders for each game.

Would love a frontend that has the capability of loading separate config inis based on a game profile. I know that both Dolphin and PCSX2 have command line instructions so it's doable. Came across Hyperspin, is it any good?

somini
20-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Delta perhaps? I personally never used it though.

Memph
20-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Personally I've never bothered with frontends, emu's are complicated enough. Instead, for games that do require specific settings (few i've found, unless i'm messing with shaders), I just give that game it's own folder and renamed exe for the emulator with the right settings and no worry about mixing/losing memory card slots, then run 'em through Steam for screenshots.

mashakos
20-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Personally I've never bothered with frontends, emu's are complicated enough. Instead, for games that do require specific settings (few i've found, unless i'm messing with shaders), I just give that game it's own folder and renamed exe for the emulator with the right settings and no worry about mixing/losing memory card slots, then run 'em through Steam for screenshots.wanted to go that route, but concluded that since I use emulators for the long haul (going on 15 years now from the early zsnes releases to prsent) it would be hard to keep track of the titles if added to the steam client. I'd rather use a frontend application that I can easily backup/update.

Memph
20-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Hehe, indeed. You mentioned disc-systems, so I failed to consider for a moment how many titles are in a SNES romset. It would be very nice to have a steam-alike page of games all set-up properly. If you do find one, i'd be interested myself in having a looksee.

mashakos
20-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Hehe, indeed. You mentioned disc-systems, so I failed to consider for a moment how many titles are in a SNES romset. It would be very nice to have a steam-alike page of games all set-up properly. If you do find one, i'd be interested myself in having a looksee.
I've had my fill of the 16-bit era years ago mind you. I was just pointing out that if you don't have your collection set up in a way that it can be easily backed up or moved around things will start to mysteriously disappear over a few years.
Speaking of system catalogues, the PS2's library can easily match the SNES in terms of sheer volume. While I do have the DVDs stored away, a 200GB+ collection cannot be re-ripped in a short period of time! Factor in gamecube, wii and dreamcast titles and you see how things can get unwieldy pretty quickly.
I'll check out Hyperspin if I get the chance, but the lack of PS2 and Gamecube themes means this frontend will take time to set up...

I can't believe the gems I've discovered or rediscovered in the past 5 years among the sea of PS2 titles. May I recommend:
Skygunner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVDT8rzPOg)
SEGA Classics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9v1Hp9mZI)
AUTO MODELLISTA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YgZm6ZqjU)
Airblade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FS_ODkEGq4)
NiGHTS into Dreams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnWSeI14XJw)
HAUNTING GROUND (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn6pqqAi8LY)
NBA Street Vol. 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86m4wyDhsUI&feature=related)
Gungrave Overdose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew76IOGkiDk)

They are insanely cheap on ebay or elsewhere. I remember finding an unused collector's edition of Shadow of the Colossus for 15GBP at a small online store last time I was on holiday in the UK.

mashakos
13-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Settled on Gamebrowser II. I've configured my Logitech F710 to launch Media Center via the Guide button, from there I can open Game Browser. To close a game, I simply press the guide button again, the game is hut down and I'm seamlessly returned to the frontend. Working pretty well so far, with the exception of a few PS2 games because PCSX2 can't load ELFs via the command line (ugh!). If a solution isn't provided by the PCSX2 team soon I'll end up just modifying the source and building my own version...

Here's a video of the frontend in action (watch in HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfuGoKqVN4

Jesus_Phish
13-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I also just make 1 folder per game for my PS2 collection.

mashakos
13-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I also just make 1 folder per game for my PS2 collection.

yeah... browsing to a folder is not that convenient using a gamepad from a couch.

Jesus_Phish
13-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I agree, but don't you have a wireless mouse device designed for that?

mashakos
13-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I agree, but don't you have a wireless mouse device designed for that?

mouse in the living room? WAT!

While I do have a remote with a gyroscope, you get used to wanting things to be up and running with a press of a button when you're in the living room as opposed to going through a few steps to start something.

kataras
13-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Speaking of configs, has anyone tried playing Okami (not the HD) for PS2? If so, would they care to share their config?

I am planning to use PSX2 for the first time to try and play it this weekend. thanks!

mashakos
13-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Speaking of configs, has anyone tried playing Okami (not the HD) for PS2? If so, would they care to share their config?

I am planning to use PSX2 for the first time to try and play it this weekend. thanks!

I have my Okami disc in storage, and don't think I ripped it. In any case, the game should run on default settings.
Try it out and if you face any issues, start a thread. We can pinpoint where the problem lies.

kataras
13-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I have my Okami disc in storage, and don't think I ripped it. In any case, the game should run on default settings.
Try it out and if you face any issues, start a thread. We can pinpoint where the problem lies.

thanks for the reply, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

sudopinion
17-12-2012, 10:46 PM
XBMC, HyperSpin, Gamebrowser, Cabrio-FE: They're all good. You can even use them all with this tool: RoM-Jacket (http://code.google.com/p/rom-jacket)

mashakos
17-12-2012, 11:19 PM
XBMC, HyperSpin, Gamebrowser, Cabrio-FE: They're all good. You can even use them all with this tool: RoM-Jacket (http://code.google.com/p/rom-jacket)

wow, Rom-Jacket sounds amazing!!! Can it generate shorcuts or junctions instead of copying files? That would be required for PC games.

Ravelle
18-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Every PS2 title requires it's own configuration to run on PCSX2

You can get PCSX2 with all its plugins in one package from piratebay when you search for it, only thing you need to configure is the video and cd/iso loading plugin and you're good to go. The texture filtering makes game look 10 times better.

mashakos
18-12-2012, 01:46 AM
You can get PCSX2 with all its plugins in one package from piratebay when you search for it, only thing you need to configure is the video and cd/iso loading plugin and you're good to go. The texture filtering makes game look 10 times better.

you misunderstand, PCSX2 requires specific configurations for a lot of games. Devil May Cry for example works well on older svn revisions while on the latest revision 2D text is broken. Stuff like that. Gran Turismo 4 works best with minimal to no speed hacks, Primal requires EE cycle rate set to 2 and super VU enabled, and so on.

Ravelle
18-12-2012, 03:16 PM
you misunderstand, PCSX2 requires specific configurations for a lot of games. Devil May Cry for example works well on older svn revisions while on the latest revision 2D text is broken. Stuff like that. Gran Turismo 4 works best with minimal to no speed hacks, Primal requires EE cycle rate set to 2 and super VU enabled, and so on.

Ah I see, the games I play didn't encounter any problems so far. I believe the GBAtemp forums has a thread with good configs might you have problems with the games you play.

mashakos
19-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Ah I see, the games I play didn't encounter any problems so far. I believe the GBAtemp forums has a thread with good configs might you have problems with the games you play.

i don't need any help, but thanks anyway :)

Space Indaver
19-12-2012, 05:43 AM
I dunno. I have a wireless keyboard with a touchpad, and it's a no-fuss way of having complete control over the OS from the couch. While this video is cool, I can't see myself switching between games so often that I'd get sick of just using a mouse. It's a very pretty menu though, I'll give you that.

I'll have to get on some Gamecube emulation action, though!

neema_t
19-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks to this thread I finally looked into emulation, got Dolphin and an ISO of Auto Modellista and proceeded to play that instead of Far Cry 3 for most of last night. Just now I got Zero Tolerance and a Mega Drive/Genesis emulator, oh man, that game is so good. It's a bit (read: plenty) janky but it's pretty special. It's more or less a first person survival horror shooter kind of thing with permadeath, you have to finish the entire game with the handful of characters you get. Each character has different equipment too. I remember when I was younger I couldn't make it past level 3, but a few years back I got into it again and managed, after a few false starts, to finish the game with a single character... God knows how because I've just had another go and I died twice on the first level alone, but that is pretty much because I forgot how to change weapon and was attempting to punch everyone.

Thanks guys!

mashakos
19-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I dunno. I have a wireless keyboard with a touchpad, and it's a no-fuss way of having complete control over the OS from the couch. While this video is cool, I can't see myself switching between games so often that I'd get sick of just using a mouse. It's a very pretty menu though, I'll give you that.

I'll have to get on some Gamecube emulation action, though!

There are many things you can adapt to that aren't necessarily user friendly or straightforward in the PC. For example, I use keyboard shortcuts a lot in windows. Did you know that:
Shift+F10 opens a context menu anywhere in windows?
Ctrl+Shift+N creates a new folder anywhere in windows?
Win+E opens the My Computer window?

If you did, it would be very easy for me to tell you: "to check your virtual memory settings using only the keyboard, press Win+E followed by Shift+F10 followed by Up followed by a couple of Tab clicks until you highlight "Advanced System Settings", hit Enter then Shift+Tab then hit Enter again then Shift+Tab followed by a Right key then Tab twice AND VOILA!"

All that might be straightforward to you (possibly), I personally am used to it, but not everyone would be comfortable navigating a system by memorising key combinations.
I have this set up not only for my own benefit but for others who use the system. Granted they only browse the movie sections but when I do have younger relatives around I'd like to show them PCs that aren't just a mouse pointer and tiny icon shortcuts - something they can actually get to grips with and use in seconds.