PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3 1.05 patch adds in difficulty levels

arathain
21-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I thought this would be interesting given the release of Torchlight 2. One of the main complaints against Diablo 3 is the lack of a Torchlight-esque ability to select a difficulty from the start of the game, instead asking the players to work through the entire game at each difficulty to access the tougher ones. Given that Normal is not that dangerous for most characters this was felt to be several hours worth of chore before getting to the better bits of the game.

It looks like patch 1.05 ( beta notes: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6572970237) has a semi-solution. A player can choose to increase the toughness and damage of the monsters they face in return for more experience and a higher chance to find magic items, in much the way that adding more players to the game does. As well as potentially making the early part of the game a bit more tense it should also be handy for well geared level 60 characters who were starting to find Inferno all too easy.

I appreciate the option of making things more challenging, although I wish they'd loosen up with restricting the more interesting item and elite monster properties to higher difficulties. Nevertheless, while I think the changes are a little clumsy they sound welcome.

Mohorovicic
21-09-2012, 09:59 PM
/players 8
/nopickup

Oshada
22-09-2012, 07:12 AM
That's just copying Bastion's Idol system!

sabrage
22-09-2012, 07:17 AM
That's just copying Bastion's Idol system!
Is this a play on the typical outraged fanboy? Because Bastion wasn't exactly innovative... In any way.

Oshada
22-09-2012, 07:38 AM
You could say I was preempting a bit of Diablo III hate :P

Kodeen
22-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I still don't understand why they don't just let you choose your difficulty level.

Subatomic
22-09-2012, 10:32 AM
I still don't understand why they don't just let you choose your difficulty level.

Because they'd have to redesign and rebalance the entire game for that to work. Diablo 3 follows a linear level progression through all difficulty levels, so monsters in Nightmare are not simply a bit tougher than monsters in Normal mode, they're about 25 levels higher and so much more powerful than their low-level counterparts that it simply wouldn't work in the current design framework of the game.

Bankrotas
22-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Is this a play on the typical outraged fanboy? Because Bastion wasn't exactly innovative... In any way.
Tell me please, what game before Bastion made story telling in such way?

DevinSmoth
22-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Because they'd have to redesign and rebalance the entire game for that to work. Diablo 3 follows a linear level progression through all difficulty levels, so monsters in Nightmare are not simply a bit tougher than monsters in Normal mode, they're about 25 levels higher and so much more powerful than their low-level counterparts that it simply wouldn't work in the current design framework of the game.

Also... honestly, that's not how Diablo is supposed to work. It was one of the things that they kept from the previous game that actually made it feel like a Diablo game. Taking that away would have been... terrible in the sense that they would have lost yet another thing that felt like a Diablo game.

I'm frankly really glad to see this option come back, because I was a single player tournament fellow who did everything on Players 8 for the most part.

sabrage
22-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Max Payne, The Legacy of Kain series (particularly the original), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Portal.

Bankrotas
22-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Never played second or third game. However, Max Payne feels bit different to me, since listening story from characters viewpoint and from third person perspective is different. And what the hell, why is Portal on the list is beyond me.

sabrage
22-09-2012, 01:55 PM
why is Portal on the list is beyond me.
Really. 10char

Sakkura
22-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Also... honestly, that's not how Diablo is supposed to work. It was one of the things that they kept from the previous game that actually made it feel like a Diablo game. Taking that away would have been... terrible in the sense that they would have lost yet another thing that felt like a Diablo game.

I'm frankly really glad to see this option come back, because I was a single player tournament fellow who did everything on Players 8 for the most part.
Except the real Diablo games were a little more challenging on normal, so it wasn't quite as much of a chore.

Serenegoose
22-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Kid's got a point to make, and he tells it like he means it.

AgamemnonV1
22-09-2012, 05:10 PM
/players 8
What, you mean you actually expect Blizzard to improve on what it's already done? No, that's just an unrealistic expectation. What we need is less players per game, yes! And let's get rid of chat channels and game browsing too! What's that? You mean you expect some new features as well? Well, you will be pleased, I think, because Morlan is now offering Facebook integration!

Moraven
22-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Except the real Diablo games were a little more challenging on normal, so it wasn't quite as much of a chore.

Because you did not learn a skill till lv 30.

Moraven
22-09-2012, 07:40 PM
What, you mean you actually expect Blizzard to improve on what it's already done? No, that's just an unrealistic expectation. What we need is less players per game, yes! And let's get rid of chat channels and game browsing too! What's that? You mean you expect some new features as well? Well, you will be pleased, I think, because Morlan is now offering Facebook integration!

Yah, that is one thing Blizzard has been consistently bad about since the launch of SC2. B.Net 2.0 has less features.

Davkaus
22-09-2012, 07:49 PM
"Too little, too late" has never been more appropriate.

frightlever
22-09-2012, 07:51 PM

With the data they're doubtless gathering they probably have a good idea of how each class lands in each of the difficulty levels. Just give the player something slightly scaled down based on that when they select the level they want to enter and after five levels they'll be as unique as any other player is.

DevinSmoth
22-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Well, as a singleplayer Diablo 2 player, I always played through Normal on /players8 anyway... so I disagree that it's really that much more difficult.

unruly
22-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Well, as a singleplayer Diablo 2 player, I always played through Normal on /players8 anyway... so I disagree that it's really that much more difficult.

At their launch, Diablo and Diablo 2 were full of player deaths in normal for pretty much everything. It was only after players knew how to handle things that people started saying it was too easy, but every game gets easier on later playthroughs. Which is why the /players 8 command didn't get added into the game until way later in the life of Diablo 2.

In Diablo the Butcher was someone you ran into on level 2 and if you weren't prepared for him before opening that door he would kick your ass six ways from Sunday because he had that combination of moves fast and attacks fast that could nearly stunlock a player by keeping them in the hit recovery animation. Add in that he hit hard and had a lot of health, and you've got a beast of a monster for characters who were level 5 or so when they faced him. Especially with the fact that spells were random drops rather than something you picked out of a tree, so your sorcerer might still just be using that staff of firebolt with 40 charges on it rather than having a real spell of his own.

In Diablo 2 I remember Blood Raven being a bitch the first time I fought her. I was woefully unprepared at the time, didn't know about her summoning zombies, and just generally got my ass kicked a few times before I finally beat her. The second time was better, but I still underestimated what I would need to face her and got killed at least once. After that she became a cakewalk, but almost every first encounter with a boss was a case of me getting my ass kicked, or at least coming close, before I actually beat them. Hell, Act 3 as a whole was a major bitch because of those fetish mobs, and it just got worse as you got into the catacombs there.

In short, it's easy to say a game isn't hard when you've played through it 20+ times already. But just because it's easy now doesn't mean that it wasn't easy before. Especially when it's a game that's had such a long life and stream of updates as Diablo 2 has had. I mean, when the D2 launched it didn't have the built-in skill synergies system that a lot of people take for granted these days. So your skills were exactly what they said on the tin rather than them getting +X because you had points in Y skill. Adding in that synergies system made things a whole lot easier, especially in the lower levels, because then the points you spent in Frost Bolt actually affected your Glacial Shard skill and made it do more damage, rather than just sitting their languishing in an unused skill.