PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands 2. A horrid UI or is it just me?

slick_101
22-09-2012, 12:32 AM
I have been playing borderlands for about an hour or so and I'm more than overwhelmed with joy with what they have given us in terms of graphical settings and the like and I do believe that this is probably the best AAA release that has truly supported all three markets. However, I have found that the UI for in game is absolutely terrible in comparison to the first one. It just looks so Cluttered and squished and I much preferred the old one. Or is that just me not liking change?

Finicky
22-09-2012, 01:04 AM
The UI is dogshit yeah :( Even worse than the first game.
Fortunately the rest of the game is much improved from borderlands 1. It's super glitchy too if you use the scrollwheel, and using the compare option in the store menus will not work with the mouse (you'll click on the item you want to buy n it'll just sell whatever you have equippped instead).

They really need to just hire a guy who can do UIs and patch it right...

With 2 million pixels to work with you'd think they'd have enough screen estate to just be fit everything on the screen without the need to scroll and switch 'tabs', but they just copied the console UI over I assume.

But hey at least it's still better than the skyrim UI!

slick_101
22-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah that's True it is much better in the majority of the aspects. I love the Ai. It doesn't feel as if the bots are cheating by using shitty guns but never missing like in the first one. However, in terms of Skyrim I don't know anybody that doesn't use SKYUI on Skyrim. I'm not sure if we are going to be able to add custom UIs to BL2 like we can throw what we want into Skyrim

Finicky
22-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Yeah the AI surprises me.

I saw enemies jump into water when I lit them on fire (didn't pay attention to wether it put out the fire or was a coincidence) and their behavior seems varied enough.

How they go after eachother is pretty entertaining as well. The banter (not AI but still flavor) is nice too.
The hit animations are pretty good too, they flinch when you headshot them, get thrown back by explosions, robots are especially well animated since you can shoot bits off of them and they'll crawl if you shoot off the legs (almost as well done as in Binary domain).

It's certainly a million times better than the awful 'AI' (and awful animations) in games like mass effect.
AI so often gets completely ignored in modern games... the AI in half life and ut99 still shits on that of most modern shooters.

Sadly I didn't see any praise for the AI in reviews for blands2 , but hey, "Gaem jurnalisem"

Mohorovicic
22-09-2012, 05:52 AM
AI looks exactly the same to me except they added a roll animation. Whoop de doo.

Jesus_Phish
22-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Not a fan of the UI. The trading ui is a mess and it seems to not respond well. The character inventory screen seems overly slow and cumbersome.

Barnox
22-09-2012, 11:11 AM
The animations and the splitting up of the inventory just make it that little bit harder to use.
Also, the Skill Tree, where you can pick "Can't see any of them to the left, but get tooltip" or "No tooltip".

The moving between panes for the inventory/skill tree isn't needed.

Metalfish
22-09-2012, 11:12 AM
The AI is massively more mobile -they'll leap off things and clamber over crates and stuff. Not (appearing to me to be) any smarter bar being slightly quicker to get the hell away from grenades.

archonsod
22-09-2012, 01:27 PM
AI looks exactly the same to me except they added a roll animation. Whoop de doo.

It's always had a dodge animation :P

It's changed somewhat. It's a little bit better about working as a team (apart from the crazies, but then that's to be expected). The main change though is enemies will now fight amongst each other rather than only attacking the player - you'll see a few instances around the Sanctuary approaches where you have bonerfarts, skags and bandits all brawling with each other. Good fun if you're playing the commando, I usually just chuck in the turret then go wait in the car until the screaming stops.

Drinking with Skeletons
22-09-2012, 02:51 PM
What baffles me is that I don't see why the UI would be better for a console. Why do devs think that a controller necessitates constant menu shifts? The skill menu is particularly bad: I'm not going to be paying attention to more than one skill at a time, so if the text needs to be bigger just cover up part of the skill tree that I'm not looking at. Although Torchlight 2 does the same thing, and in fact has no option to look at all skills simultaneously, so maybe what bugs me is that BL2 has crappy little arrows that are annoying to manipulate with the mouse instead of big chunky tabs.

Also, it is extremely strange to me that Borderlands 2 puts more of an emphasis on story, and in fact features noticeably more and better (or at least not worse) writing, but does not allow you to re-listen to audiologs and messages, which the first game did.

Sketch
22-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, wish I could listen to the audio logs. The UI is pretty pants, although you can use drag and drop which makes it a lot better. I'm used to it now and while it's not perfect, it's starting to get a certain flow to it.

slick_101
22-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm just wondering. Do you think it will be possible for them to release the first borderlands UI i.e. "port" it across or do you think that this will be more challenging than just saying it?

Finicky
23-09-2012, 02:39 AM
I wonder if there is a way to mod in more inventory space... The final story boss (and probably the new crawmeraxx style boss for the lvl 50 quest) drops a lot of loot...

Sucks that you can't just hover up the greens and blues and sort em out in your inventory.

Also damn new game+ is a lot harder than the first playthrough.
You need to use elemental weaknesses (trying to use a fire weapon on a shielded enemy will do pretty much no damage) constantly and enemies hit way harder.
I also seem to come across a lot more badasses and super badasses as well as some new enemy types.

FriendlyFire
23-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Not showing equipped weapons and your inventory at the same time feels like a stylistic decision at the cost of any sort of functionality. It's horrid.

Otherwise the UI's acceptable, though there are issues here and there. Personally I also dislike the reliance on Esc constantly, give me a back button that's not far off to the bottom of the screen or away from WASD! I'm probably going to have to tweak the keybindings because of that.

However, a much more concerning UI issue (and one which I have just been made aware of, partly at my own cost) is that if you trade with a player and the player asks for a negative amount of money, you'll see "$0" in the trade window but they'll actually *drain* that amount off you and gain however much they had put. If you put -$9999 for trade and the other has $1000, you'll get $9999 and the other will end up with $0. That's such a glaring oversight it's not even funny.

Wolfenswan
23-09-2012, 10:16 AM
If you put -$9999 for trade and the other has $1000, you'll get $9999 and the other will end up with $0. That's such a glaring oversight it's not even funny.

Is that money created from thin air?

Ravelle
23-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Nothing is perfect, so I'll grant them one flaw.

QuantaCat
23-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Nothing is perfect, so I'll grant them one flaw.

How very noble of you, Rav :D

Mohorovicic
23-09-2012, 02:00 PM
It's always had a dodge animation :P

But not a roll one!

Also, is it just me or the AI is half-blind and half-deaf? Often I can just run past enemy camps without anyone even noticing.

Ravelle
23-09-2012, 04:06 PM
How very noble of you, Rav :D

Herman Hesse once said “When you like someone, you like them in spite of their faults. When you love someone, you love them with their faults.” So I guess it also applies to videogames and studios. :P

FriendlyFire
23-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Is that money created from thin air?

Yes, though if the other person in the trade has money it'll be taken first, then the remaining amount will made up out of thin air.