PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands 2: Gore Nerfed

El_MUERkO
22-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Where are my headshot and elemental dmg critical hit animations!?!

No Heads exploding, no screaming skeletons, no cool electricity effects!

Boooo!!!

Finicky
22-09-2012, 03:29 AM
We really need a blands 2 thread:p

internetonsetadd
22-09-2012, 05:08 AM
That makes me sad. Are you in Germany or Australia or something?

Finicky
22-09-2012, 05:32 AM
No it's like that in all regions, they took out the exploding headshots from the first game.

Corrosive still dissolves people, electricity just zaps em, fire can still burn people (as in they look charred), but the gore was reduced a lot.

I personally don't mind less gore but do miss a powerful headshot animation , nothing as satisfying as headshots in for example the original cs , because the enemies just keel over backwards super hard from a headshot.

Hypernetic
22-09-2012, 06:36 AM
sniper rifle headshots definitely make heads explode.

Item!
22-09-2012, 06:57 AM
sniper rifle headshots definitely make heads explode.

Well yes and no.

The "problem" as exhaustively detailed in this thread (http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=148825) and experienced by myself first hand is that, despite the volcano of blood and gore that occasionally spouts from a critical headshot kill, the head itself remains resolutely intact and attached to the body of the corpse.

That said, I do believe that it is still possible to separate limbs from bodies, though I can't verify this as I have never really bothered shooting at a limb when a head is present.

The elemental death effects have also been toned down - no popping heads, flying eyeballs and founts of blood from electrical kills and the corrosive skeleton details are pretty weak.

Certainly not a reason to not play the game but it is very slightly galling to have an otherwise great sequel take a very small but noticeable step backwards in the name of censorship.

If you can be bothered to trawl through the epicmegathread I linked to above, it does contain a brief response from Randy Pitchford taken from another source where he confirms that it was indeed a conscious design choice, but there may be room to patch it slightly if significant numbers are really that unhappy about it.

archonsod
22-09-2012, 01:31 PM
That said, I do believe that it is still possible to separate limbs from bodies, though I can't verify this as I have never really bothered shooting at a limb when a head is present.

It is, though I think it only happens for explosive weapons (at least they're the only ones I've seen do it so far). Not counting the robots of course, I think you can dismantle them with anything.

El_MUERkO
22-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Let Randy know you want your gore back on twitter. @DuvalMagic #gorenerf #boo #hiss #andsuch :)

Hypernetic
22-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Well yes and no.

The "problem" as exhaustively detailed in this thread (http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=148825) and experienced by myself first hand is that, despite the volcano of blood and gore that occasionally spouts from a critical headshot kill, the head itself remains resolutely intact and attached to the body of the corpse.

The elemental death effects have also been toned down - no popping heads, flying eyeballs and founts of blood from electrical kills and the corrosive skeleton details are pretty weak.

Certainly not a reason to not play the game but it is very slightly galling to have an otherwise great sequel take a very small but noticeable step backwards in the name of censorship.

If you can be bothered to trawl through the epicmegathread I linked to above, it does contain a brief response from Randy Pitchford taken from another source where he confirms that it was indeed a conscious design choice, but there may be room to patch it slightly if significant numbers are really that unhappy about it.

I see, well I apparently didn't notice it. Gore like that really doesn't matter, the novelty wears off after like an hour anyway.

Sketch
22-09-2012, 06:06 PM
People get blown apart into small chunks and sometimes legs come off, but there's no face melting etc as there was before. It's really only noticeable if your really, really looking for it.

JayTee
23-09-2012, 02:19 AM
It is, though I think it only happens for explosive weapons (at least they're the only ones I've seen do it so far) Melee, possibly with one of the guns with a blade on it, also has the chance to remove limbs.

Finicky
23-09-2012, 03:58 AM
People get blown apart into small chunks and sometimes legs come off, but there's no face melting etc as there was before. It's really only noticeable if your really, really looking for it.

Is there an option to turn on gore or something that is off by default? I don't remember seeing enemies being blown to bits and claptrap's swearing at the end of the game was even bleeped out...

Item!
23-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Is there an option to turn on gore or something that is off by default? I don't remember seeing enemies being blown to bits and claptrap's swearing at the end of the game was even bleeped out...

There is an option to turn it off, but I am fairly sure it was on by default for me.

I believe you also get more bloody chunks and spray with the higher PhysX settings, though I can't confirm this.

Tei
23-09-2012, 12:31 PM
There is an option to turn it off, but I am fairly sure it was on by default for me.

I believe you also get more bloody chunks and spray with the higher PhysX settings, though I can't confirm this.

All the phys do is more particles and liquids. So you get ridiculous big pools of blood. Is more bad eyencandy than gore. I have my setting of phys in medium, but actually the better setting would be somewhere betwem medium and low.

Ravelle
23-09-2012, 04:12 PM
We really need a blands 2 thread:p

I believe you mean, people should not create a separate complain threads for each complaint about one game. The Diablo rage flood a while back was bad enough.

Sketch
23-09-2012, 06:02 PM

I don't remember ever changing any setting, although I do have PhysX enabled. Legs do come off fairly rarely though.

El_MUERkO
25-09-2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/borderlands-2-tones-down-gore-devs-consider-patching-it-for-fans/