PDA

View Full Version : Update on "Takedown"

Kevin
22-09-2012, 09:25 AM
As a proud contributor to the "Takedown" Kickstarter, as well as the sadly abortive "Ground Branch" Kickstarter, to see their alpha build shaping up beautifully renews my hopes to see a successor to the fantastic Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield and SWAT: 4. Check it out:

http://kotaku.com/Takedown

DaftPunk
22-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Is this the one project that had fake concept art ? :D

Otherwise good looking screenshots,but doesn't prove anything,ANYTHING!! :c

Grizzly
22-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Ooh. Those first two screenshots intensely remind me of the final level of SWAT 4 (The Stem-cell research center.)
I instantly get the urge to pick up that game again.

Heliocentric
22-09-2012, 05:13 PM
I turned my nose up at the game last time. This time I just turned my nose up at a kotaku link. I guess that's progress?

DetCord
23-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Is this the one project that had fake concept art ? :D

The very same.

DaftPunk
23-09-2012, 08:37 PM
At least those screenies looks nice,now we just need to wait for proper gameplay footage to see if the game will play like older R6/OGR

Finicky
24-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Anyone want to rehost the screenshots or have a different source? Not giving kotaku any clicks.

Fumarole
29-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Has anyone played this yet? I haven't heard a peep since it was released earlier this month, which I don't think is a good sign.

SephKing
29-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I supported this on Kickstarter and really wish I didn't.

There's a very good reason this game got 20/100 from gamespot and currently has a 2.7 user score on metacritic. If it were a pre-alpha it would be pretty weak but as a full release it's a joke. Trust me when I say avoid at all costs unless you a are truly desperate for something new to play.

If you are buying then here's a few things to note

- The AI is practically non existent. It's even worse than Raven Shields (seriously)
- The server browser currently doesn't work
- You have no control over your AI squad whatsoever
- There is no mission planning at all and you can't even change your squads loadout

Fumarole
29-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a disaster then. Thanks for the input, looks like I'll stick with Raven Shield for now.

neema_t
30-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah, it's fucking awful. I 'kicked it in the starts' (can't remember who first used that phrase here but I wish to appropriate it, thanks) too, it should have released as early access or in six months' time at the very least. I'll keep an eye on it but it's one of those games where the people who love it either accept that it's trash or have their fingers in their ears going 'LALALALALALA' judging by the Steam forum... Though that's the Steam forum.

TL, DR: Raven Shield, SWAT 4, OGR, hell even R6 Vegas were better.

DaftPunk
30-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I can not believe you people even put money on kickstarter for this piece of shit. Even from their KS campaign it was clear that game will fail. On other hand Ground Branch didn't make it and its real succesor to OGR/Rs!!

alset85
30-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Yep. Didn't all the photoshopped stolen photos and the following coverup at the start of the campaign trigger your warning bells?

neema_t
30-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I thought a shit *new* proper tactical shooter is better than none at all, and at the very least if everyone who felt the same way bought it, maybe someone would develop a good one upon seeing the response. I was wrong on the first point but there's still hope for the worst-case scenario... Right, guys?

Guys?

gundato
30-09-2013, 06:03 PM
To be fair, the beta from a few months ago (whatever was available before release that TB played), while not perfect and desperately in need of work, was definitely fun. They fucked up the AI massively on the release version and should really have kept it in Early Access and done a lot more regression testing.

And yeah. While I am not particularly happy with what I got for backing it, I also don't regret it (at least, until I see their video response they uploaded). It is definitely flawed and I am skeptical if this will ever be decent, but it has also demonstrated that people WILL throw money at another SWAT/R6 style shooter (if memory serves, they even got a publisher to back them?), which is what I really want. And with a few patches (one to get them back to the old AI, and another to fix the UI for loadouts) it will at least be what I was expecting.

Remember folks: When you back a KS, you can't view it as a pre-order. You have no idea what the game is going to turn out as or if it will ever be done. You are putting money down to say "I like this idea and want the game".

Moraven
30-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Yep and why I stepped away from a lot of KS projects now, unless its on the bubble.

In a way pre-ordering back in the day before bonus incentives was you putting money down on something "I like this idea and want the game". The difference being the game will more than likely be coming out vs no guarantee it will get finished. After a KS project is funded, what are you putting money down into then? The cheaper 'pre-order' price is a nice incentive.

And stretch goals are killing projects more than helping them. I plan to avoid future games with stretch goals that expand the game to much. Mighty 09 has 1)more platforms 2) more stages/bosses. Its simply adding more content to the base design of the game. Not trying to add 50 new elements to the original design just because they have more money.

gundato
30-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Watched the video where they talk about the release:

Yeah, not really happy with how they are handling it. Apparently they are patching the hell out of it and, from what I have seen, those patches are working. But the "Sorry guys" basically boils down to lots of mentions of "We could have stopped doing this at any time, we almost failed like other KSes, this is very hard, blah blah blah" which, to me at least, sounds like "We'll fix it when we fix it, quit bitching and be glad you have something". At least they ARE fixing it, but I would have preferred a more humble approach and possibly at least a mention of "We are implementing stricter regressing testing prior to releasing patches".

gwathdring
01-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Anyone want to rehost the screenshots or have a different source? Not giving kotaku any clicks.

I recommend Ghostery if you use Firefox. Disables web-trackers. No-script is great too, but it can be a pain.

That said ... really? That seems petty.

Koobazaur
01-10-2013, 06:17 AM
yea i think it's the game TotalBiscuit saw presented at Expo recently, totally loved it, then got to play it and basically warned against it as it's (unfortunately) utterly broken.

hmm one of the reasons i never backup stuff on kickstarter tbh, and hearing their response according to gundato is just sad. when I released my game Postmortem (http://postmortemgame.com) recently, and we had a very sporadic (1:1000) bug came up, I was emailing back and forth with the two guys who experienced it asking for specs, providing some config tweaks, and eventually sending custom test patches to see if it resolved it, before finally unrolling an official one.

gundato
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Actually, TB DID play the game at that expo and loved it. And I played the beta a while back (probably around the same time) and loved it. It was flawed, but had potential.

The main issues with the release boil down to the following:

1. They fucked up the AI. Apparently they accidentally made all the tangos deaf, which seems consistent with my experiences and TB's warning video
2. They horribly screwed up the netcode to the point of lagging out of SP games (yeah...)
3. The game is still incomplete, especially with regard to the UI

Honestly, if they had just made it an "Early Access" title it would probably have been tolerable. But the problem is that they released it as a full game and are basically taking the approach of "It is complete, there are just a few bugs, be happy you got something"

Hell, if they fix 1 and 2 (basically, revert to the beta version) I would be mostly okay with it and just chock it up to "Indie games have a tendency to have shitty interfaces and implementations".

Also, please don't do such blatant advertising :p